2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk - Page 169 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2147Likes

post #5041 of 5389 Old 04-30-2019, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was hoping the new firmware update would correct the dolby atmos pass through issue. Does anyone know if firmware could even correct this problem? Currently, to get atmos sound, I have to connect apple tv directly to my sound bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5389 Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfuegobuddha View Post
If you want to check HDR blooming (afa set to medium), my go to is Christmas Chronicles. There's a scene towards the beginning when the kids first happen upon Santa and his sleigh out in the neighborhood.
My set is updating now as I speak. Oddly enough Christmas Chronicles is a movie I use to test some stuff out lol, who knew it’d be so useful! I’m hoping this update fixes some purple blacks issue I get when watching Dolby Vision content (like in christmas chronicles) but I’m not holding my breath.
post #5043 of 5389 Old 04-30-2019, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I can confirm what others have said, Christmas Chronicles is much improved. There is still blooming but its lessened. I also still notice the pulsing on some FALD scenes/details but it is less noticeable. A good firmware update so far!
Briguy65 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5044 of 5389 Old 04-30-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Vizio PQ65 firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizioService View Post
New firmware version 2.1.7.1 for the 2018 D, E, M, P and PQ series 4K models.

Hello All, We have released a new firmware version 2.1.7.1 for the 2018 D, E, M, P and PQ series 4K models.

Let us know if you have any further questions or comments.

Is there any plan or hope for a firmware update to add support for HDR10+ sometime in the near future?

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #5045 of 5389 Old 04-30-2019, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Got the new 2.1.7.1 firmware update. I concur, HDR banding is much improved as well as the “pulsing” effect of the Medium AFA dimming. Almost like the zones react faster or they figured out how to smooth the transition better. Very happy so far with this update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
guacamoleparty likes this.
post #5046 of 5389 Old 04-30-2019, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 23
strange after i updated to newest firmware i did a factory reset via vizio menu.

the tv recognizes the blu ray player on hdmi 1 which is connected to denon 3300

but it doesnt recognize the roku player

denon 3300 says no hdmi signal when i switch to roku player. i didnt move any hdmi cables.
any ideas?
post #5047 of 5389 Old 04-30-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked: 1538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
strange after i updated to newest firmware i did a factory reset via vizio menu.

the tv recognizes the blu ray player on hdmi 1 which is connected to denon 3300

but it doesnt recognize the roku player

denon 3300 says no hdmi signal when i switch to roku player. i didnt move any hdmi cables.
any ideas?
Try plugging the Roku into the TV. Make sure it isn't the TV or the Roku. Sometimes firmware updates can change how devices communicate. Receivers seem to need constant firmware updates to keep up with these new standards external devices use.
post #5048 of 5389 Old 04-30-2019, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I noticed after the update that when I load the Smart Cast app I get banding in the center 1/3rd of the loading screen. When the white circle is spinning and the screen goes from black to grey, the center 1/3 has darker and lighter grey bars that go across the length of the TV screen. Goes away once the images load up. Ran the included color calibration test screens and didn't notice any banding then.

Curious if anyone else noticed this?
post #5049 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this TV, possibly even today, but I'll admit some of the posts in here have me slightly worried. Are the issues that seem to be common among some users here that distracting? Does anyone have this TV that regretted buying it?

I'm intending for this to be an upgrade from my JS9500, which is a fantastic TV I've had since 2015. However it lacks Dolby Vision and from everything I've read this Vizio does HDR much better even for non Dolby content as well. My TV produces a max of 950 nits I believe, so this Vizio is much brighter.

I plan on purchasing through Costco anyway, so I suppose I have 90 days if I do have any problems.
post #5050 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
I noticed after the update that when I load the Smart Cast app I get banding in the center 1/3rd of the loading screen. When the white circle is spinning and the screen goes from black to grey, the center 1/3 has darker and lighter grey bars that go across the length of the TV screen. Goes away once the images load up. Ran the included color calibration test screens and didn't notice any banding then.

Curious if anyone else noticed this?
Ignore the loading screen it has been like that since the smartcast Interface was released prior to this TV model.
post #5051 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrox View Post
So I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this TV, possibly even today, but I'll admit some of the posts in here have me slightly worried. Are the issues that seem to be common among some users here that distracting? Does anyone have this TV that regretted buying it?

I'm intending for this to be an upgrade from my JS9500, which is a fantastic TV I've had since 2015. However it lacks Dolby Vision and from everything I've read this Vizio does HDR much better even for non Dolby content as well. My TV produces a max of 950 nits I believe, so this Vizio is much brighter.

I plan on purchasing through Costco anyway, so I suppose I have 90 days if I do have any problems.
I can only give you my perspective. I've had no issues with this display. It is consistently keeping up with my sources, streaming and disk play. No complaints.

Like you said, if you go through Costco, you have the extended return period (is it 3 months?) and the extended warranty that you can buy. I got the full extension, so I'm covered for five or six years.

Anyways, nothing is perfect so you may get a dud, but based on my experience, except for viewing at a sharp angle, I'm very happy.
post #5052 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Got one of these and it is awesome. Can I notice the issues talked about in this thread, blooming, banding, stuttering, etc.? Yes. Do they stick out when I'm not looking for them in any way that detracts from my enjoyment of the picture? No.

Unfortunately, the entire panel is bent. Became very apparent when I mounted it on the wall. So I've got another one coming in tomorrow. I noticed there have been other people in this thread with bent panels, so hopefully the next one comes in straight, and it's not a widespread problem.

The TV works fine, and the picture is stunning on HDR material, which is why I wanted the set. This TV actually puts all of those theoretical benefits of HDR into practice in a way that a less bright TV just can't do. Is an OLED a better TV? Yes. But is the quantum a better HDR TV? In my opinion, definitively yes! For the content that stretches beyond the brightness range of an OLED, the quantum permits, dare I say, a transformative experience I've read elsewhere that hitting 2000 nits reaches a sweet spot in what the human eye expects in a real image, and my experience with this set matches that. So if what you are looking for is not just a great TV, but a whole new kind of watching experience, I'd recommend this set.

For non-HDR content, there is not much difference to me between this set and my old Samsung Plasma, which is a good thing. Viewing angles are, of course, not great, but not much of an issue given my setup.

For cable box content (actually Dish in my case), I've been playing around with the settings and found some interesting things.

The Clear Action setting slightly dims the picture and introduces just a barely perceptible flicker for me, though my wife says she doesn't notice it. Putting Reduce Motion Blur to 1 entirely eliminates the flickering without giving me any noticeable artifacts or SOE, while appearing to retain the Clear Action benefits for motion perception when I'm watching sports. It's funny because I can't tell the difference between 0 and 1 on the Reduce Motion Blur with clear action off, but with clear action on the difference is night and day, I think just because it is eliminating the flicker for me.

I set sharpness to 5 before it starts to introduce noticeable artifacts. I've also tried using the Reduce Block Noise setting, but I think I've decided I generally like it better off, though it does help with some of the channels that come in particularly compressed.

I wish I could use the Auto Brightness Control because the room is not light controlled, but the medium is just a little too dark for my liking most of the time, and the high is way too bright. Setting the Brightness to 10 seems to work pretty well as a compromise for general use throughout the day, a little dim during the day (but brighter than the plasma was), a little bright at night. Just based on my perception, it seems like Medium is probably getting pretty close to the 100 nit spec target in a dark room. It seems like the auto brightness can go dimmer than you can by manually adjusting the Backlight setting to 0.

Finally, a question I haven't been able to figure out about the upcoming Airplay compatibility, that I was hoping someone in the beta could answer. How does it work with movies from iTunes? Can I cast a movie from my iPhone 6 (which doesn't support 4K or HDR) to the TV and have it play 4K and HDR on the TV? Does the movie actually go from my phone to the TV with that content, or does the TV get the content directly from Apple like an apple TV would?

Last edited by asdqqq; 05-01-2019 at 01:10 PM.
post #5053 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Hi,

I have this very strange problem with my PQ65 remote controller. At first it works fine, then if I use it a lot (like navigating the menus and change settings, etc.), after time I need to get closer and closer to the TV to make it work !

It's not the batteries. I have a tester and they are full. I changed them too problem is still there.

The ONLY way to make it work again from longer distance or wider angle is.......to not use it for a time (I didn't test how longs, an hour ? more ? IDK).

I'm totally clueless. Vizio is sending me a new remote. Will see.
post #5054 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentifrice View Post
Hi,

I have this very strange problem with my PQ65 remote controller. At first it works fine, then if I use it a lot (like navigating the menus and change settings, etc.), after time I need to get closer and closer to the TV to make it work !

It's not the batteries. I have a tester and they are full. I changed them too problem is still there.

The ONLY way to make it work again from longer distance or wider angle is.......to not use it for a time (I didn't test how longs, an hour ? more ? IDK).

I'm totally clueless. Vizio is sending me a new remote. Will see.
You could try power cycling your remote:

Power cycling the remote resets it. This can also loosen a button on the remote you may not have realized was wedged down.

Take the batteries out of the remote. Press every single button on the remote while the batteries are out. Press each button at least once.

Doing this clears residual power from the remote and sometimes helps us get rid of odd problems. Test the remote again to see if it can control the TV now.

https://vizhdtv.com/how-to-fix-vizio...?cn-reloaded=1
post #5055 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Updated my posted SDR calibration. Going to finish up HDR10 and DV tonight.
post #5056 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I'm loving the update. Dolby Vision is working with the Xbox One X now. Blooming seems reduced.
post #5057 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 04:48 PM

did anyone have a roku ultra connected to avr, avr connected to tv, after firmware the roku ultra isnt detected by avr?
i think the new firmware might have bricked my roku
post #5058 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Try plugging the Roku into the TV. Make sure it isn't the TV or the Roku. Sometimes firmware updates can change how devices communicate. Receivers seem to need constant firmware updates to keep up with these new standards external devices use.

ok this new firmware update definitely messed something up in my system.

denon 3300 connected to arc on the vizio. everything was working fine until this firmware update.

i plugged the roku into hdmi 2 on tv, no signal.

then used a brand new roku ultra i was planning to sell. plugged into the denon and everything was going well with the setup until tv detection.
it saw 4k, when i chose that option on the roku setup menu. no signal detected.
post #5059 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 07:11 PM

Anyone can help me ?

When I watch a DV on Netflix and the image move slowly, it’s perfect. When I play HDR10 movie on Plex and the image move slowly, there is a lot of stutter or judder (not sure which work is right) even when both Motion control options are set to 10.

any idea ?
post #5060 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Updated my posted SDR calibration. Going to finish up HDR10 and DV tonight.
Right on! Perhaps update the terminology in the settings to the newer Vizio used ones? AKA Active Full Array instead of their old Xtreme whatever.
post #5061 of 5389 Old 05-01-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guacamoleparty View Post
Right on! Perhaps update the terminology in the settings to the newer Vizio used ones? AKA Active Full Array instead of their old Xtreme whatever.
Fixed.
post #5062 of 5389 Old 05-02-2019, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Quote:

ok this new firmware update definitely messed something up in my system.

denon 3300 connected to arc on the vizio. everything was working fine until this firmware update.

i plugged the roku into hdmi 2 on tv, no signal.

then used a brand new roku ultra i was planning to sell. plugged into the denon and everything was going well with the setup until tv detection.
it saw 4k, when i chose that option on the roku setup menu. no signal detected.
1. Have you done a full factory reset not just the soft power cycle?
2. Did you remember to re enable full uhd color under input setting for the connection to your denon/roku?
3. I have an ultra hooked up in another room. I will check out tonight and let you know if I have any problems with 4k and or hdr.
post #5063 of 5389 Old 05-02-2019, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdqqq View Post
Got one of these and it is awesome. Can I notice the issues talked about in this thread, blooming, banding, stuttering, etc.? Yes. Do they stick out when I'm not looking for them in any way that detracts from my enjoyment of the picture? No.

Unfortunately, the entire panel is bent. Became very apparent when I mounted it on the wall. So I've got another one coming in tomorrow. I noticed there have been other people in this thread with bent panels, so hopefully the next one comes in straight, and it's not a widespread problem.

The TV works fine, and the picture is stunning on HDR material, which is why I wanted the set. This TV actually puts all of those theoretical benefits of HDR into practice in a way that a less bright TV just can't do. Is an OLED a better TV? Yes. But is the quantum a better HDR TV? In my opinion, definitively yes! For the content that stretches beyond the brightness range of an OLED, the quantum permits, dare I say, a transformative experience [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] I've read elsewhere that hitting 2000 nits reaches a sweet spot in what the human eye expects in a real image, and my experience with this set matches that. So if what you are looking for is not just a great TV, but a whole new kind of watching experience, I'd recommend this set.

For non-HDR content, there is not much difference to me between this set and my old Samsung Plasma, which is a good thing. Viewing angles are, of course, not great, but not much of an issue given my setup.

For cable box content (actually Dish in my case), I've been playing around with the settings and found some interesting things.

The Clear Action setting slightly dims the picture and introduces just a barely perceptible flicker for me, though my wife says she doesn't notice it. Putting Reduce Motion Blur to 1 entirely eliminates the flickering without giving me any noticeable artifacts or SOE, while appearing to retain the Clear Action benefits for motion perception when I'm watching sports. It's funny because I can't tell the difference between 0 and 1 on the Reduce Motion Blur with clear action off, but with clear action on the difference is night and day, I think just because it is eliminating the flicker for me.

I set sharpness to 5 before it starts to introduce noticeable artifacts. I've also tried using the Reduce Block Noise setting, but I think I've decided I generally like it better off, though it does help with some of the channels that come in particularly compressed.

I wish I could use the Auto Brightness Control because the room is not light controlled, but the medium is just a little too dark for my liking most of the time, and the high is way too bright. Setting the Brightness to 10 seems to work pretty well as a compromise for general use throughout the day, a little dim during the day (but brighter than the plasma was), a little bright at night. Just based on my perception, it seems like Medium is probably getting pretty close to the 100 nit spec target in a dark room. It seems like the auto brightness can go dimmer than you can by manually adjusting the Backlight setting to 0.

Finally, a question I haven't been able to figure out about the upcoming Airplay compatibility, that I was hoping someone in the beta could answer. How does it work with movies from iTunes? Can I cast a movie from my iPhone 6 (which doesn't support 4K or HDR) to the TV and have it play 4K and HDR on the TV? Does the movie actually go from my phone to the TV with that content, or does the TV get the content directly from Apple like an apple TV would?
I tested what you were saying about Clear Action.

To my eye the Clear Action flicker dissappears if Reduce Judder or Reduce Motion Blur is engaged. To me, this suggests that black frame insertion is disengaged (despite the fact that the image remains slightly dimmer). Can anyone confirm this?
post #5064 of 5389 Old 05-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:

To my eye the Clear Action flicker dissappears if Reduce Judder or Reduce Motion Blur is engaged. To me, this suggests that black frame insertion is disengaged (despite the fact that the image remains slightly dimmer). Can anyone confirm this?
I have a P65-C1 but whatever new update was pushed out has messed up Clear Action i which it no longer adds a black frame, and just now slightly dims the image. This is bad because bfi would actual help clean up motion considerably., Now, Clear Action may as well not be doing anything but dimming the image a little. It has made my TV from a fantastic display for s=crisp motion gaming, to having a double image with each movement.

The test for this is going to testufo.com. If the 60fps ufo is no longer one ufo in crisp motion, but now a ufo with an after image/doubling, itCA is messed up.

Note: prior to this, for years Clear ACtion went hand in hand with Game Low Latency, in that both need to be on for it to insert a black frame (60hz flicker). Now, it's 120hz flicker, which is bad.

Mad Lust Envy
post #5065 of 5389 Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post
Quote:

I have a P65-C1 but whatever new update was pushed out has messed up Clear Action i which it no longer adds a black frame, and just now slightly dims the image. This is bad because bfi would actual help clean up motion considerably., Now, Clear Action may as well not be doing anything but dimming the image a little. It has made my TV from a fantastic display for s=crisp motion gaming, to having a double image with each movement.

The test for this is going to testufo.com. If the 60fps ufo is no longer one ufo in crisp motion, but now a ufo with an after image/doubling, itCA is messed up.

Note: prior to this, for years Clear ACtion went hand in hand with Game Low Latency, in that both need to be on for it to insert a black frame (60hz flicker). Now, it's 120hz flicker, which is bad.
Hypothetically, if I play all my games 1080p @120 hz with low latency and clear action on from a PC how does this affect me?
post #5066 of 5389 Old 05-02-2019, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Welp, I just purchased this TV from Costco! Can't wait until it arrives
kensingtonwick likes this.
post #5067 of 5389 Old 05-02-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlys View Post
1. Have you done a full factory reset not just the soft power cycle?
2. Did you remember to re enable full uhd color under input setting for the connection to your denon/roku?
3. I have an ultra hooked up in another room. I will check out tonight and let you know if I have any problems with 4k and or hdr.

1. yes i did and thats what caused the problem. i believe factory reset turned uhd off. i turned it back on and roku working again
post #5068 of 5389 Old 05-02-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
1. yes i did and thats what caused the problem. i believe factory reset turned uhd off. i turned it back on and roku working again
Of course factory resetting turned it off. By factory default it is always off.
post #5069 of 5389 Old 05-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Question for you guys.

Playing HDR demo video on youtube is spectacular. Really jaw-dropping.

I still don't have a 4k player but I just bought several UHD movies (last 3 star trek movies and Aquaman) and I decided to use the blu-ray drive of my PC to make some MKV remux file and try them through Plex. These movies are 4K HDR and there is no transcoding, only directplay to an Apple tv 4k.

Note that the TV is calibrated and series like Lost in Space on Netflix looks gorgeous.

But, for my remux files, I must say PQ quality is OK but I was not that impressed. BTW my tv switch to HDR mode when playing them. But it's really not like demo videos. Way less deep blacks and some movies have grain, which kind of break the PQ IMO. The contrast (HDR) aren't always that good. I tried with my Apple tv 4k (plex client and Infuse) and the integrated Plex client in my tv.

So, people here playing HDR file though Plex, is the image really spectacular or movies just don't look like demos at all and it has nothing to do MKV or Plex ?

I'm thinking about getting a bluray player so I could compare. Maybe a good bluray player can process and enhanced the image way better than Plex ?

Maybe my expectations were too high (based on demos in stores...) and most of the movies aren't that awesome in HDR ?
post #5070 of 5389 Old 05-02-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Soon to be a new owner, please confirm setup

Hello everyone

Coming back to AVSForum after many years of absence. My Panasonic 50" Plasma of 2008 is as about to take a well earned retirement. The screen now has a very annoying narrow horizontal green line right in the middle. It also has the local TV station logo permanently burn-in in the lower right corner. This is what happens when you have 4 kids. One of them opens the TV at 6:00AM and then the TV stays open on the same channel (local morning show) until the last kid leaves for school at around 9:00AM.

So to replace my Plasma TV, I just ordered a PQ65 from Costco (Canada) this afternoon. I know Vizio has newer models coming soon, but the current model is at a very good price point right now and fits in my current budget.

In my current setup, my cable box (Cisco PVR) and my PS4 are connected to my Denon AVR-789 A/V receiver via HDMI and I have one HDMI cable going to the TV.

I will upgrade my cable box to a 4K Samsung PVR and eventually upgrade my PS4. Since I'm not sure my Denon AVR can pass 4K, my plan was to route everything to the TV and send only the audio back over a TOS cable to the receiver. Any possible problem with this scenario?

Also my TV will be 5 feet above my WiFi router (Asus RT-AC68U) which is located in my utility room just under the leaving room. Is the WiFi performance good enough or should I just pass a CAT6 cable from the router?

Finally I'm running all of this setup with a Logitech Harmony Remote, anyone has experience using this TV with this remote? I really love this remote, it has survived 4 kids for more then 10 years still on the original rechargeable battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
audio issues , mute speaker , pq65-f1 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page