2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk - Page 172 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2147Likes

post #5131 of 5397 Old 05-06-2019, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I have my Xbox One X running through my Vizio soundbar into the TV into HDMI 1 and I've played DV content through Netflix without issues. YMMV though it seems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 5397 Old 05-06-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentifrice View Post
But in the settings of the ATV I have enable Match Frame Rate so it’s supposed to switch to the stream frame rate (and it does since the screen goes black for a second when it’s not at 60).
FYI Vizio's System Information sub menu shows incoming frame rate
post #5133 of 5397 Old 05-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I run HD and UHD HDR content through Plex & Infuse on an Apple TV 4K. I have Frame Rate Match enabled and confirm when I'm watching content that it's showing as 24hz via the TV's Settings. The set has pretty poor stutter on wide panning shots. Note, this is different from judder: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/stutter. I can eliminate by enabling the motion smoothing but man does the soap opera effect show itself pretty bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5134 of 5397 Old 05-06-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So I've noticed a new issue recently, not sure if it's the TV or my Apple TV. Has anyone started a movie, the TV states that it has gone into Dolby Vision, but the screen looks dim and looks more like it's in SDR? Resetting the TV and AppleTV and then restarting the movie fixes the issue, but I don't recall this happening prior to the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5135 of 5397 Old 05-06-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomsapple View Post
I run HD and UHD HDR content through Plex & Infuse on an Apple TV 4K. I have Frame Rate Match enabled and confirm when I'm watching content that it's showing as 24hz via the TV's Settings. The set has pretty poor stutter on wide panning shots. Note, this is different from judder: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/stutter. I can eliminate by enabling the motion smoothing but man does the soap opera effect show itself pretty bad.
This is not really an issue with the TV, but rather the source or content. The faster pixel response of these TVs makes low fps content stutter much more visible. Low fps source stutter has always existed, but most people aren't attuned to seeing it as older display technology was never good enough for it to be obvious for most people. Again the TV is not stuttering. It's the source or content. I suggest if you don't like the stuttering or SOE, then try using low motion control settings (1-5). Also test other external devices and also natively to see if the issue can be isolated.

Last edited by skschatzman; 05-06-2019 at 11:18 PM.
post #5136 of 5397 Old 05-06-2019, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I noticed something new that I haven't seen before after the new update. What im seeing is what looks like blob when the TV first boots up. I'm saying basically a blob or such before I actually see the picture, it looks like, it hard to describe a blob screen!

After the Tv boots up everything looks fine, I don't see any difference in the picture quality or anything else. No DSE, or anything out of the ordinary.

I was just wondering if anybody else has seen that when your TV boots up, to see that blob screen? It's only visible for either one or two seconds that's it.

(Blob Screen) Looks like backlighting on with no content, not all zone on. I think this has been mentioned somewhere before in the thread, just didn't remember where. Has anyone else noticed this on their PQ Since the firmware update?
post #5137 of 5397 Old 05-06-2019, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccat39 View Post
I noticed something new that I haven't seen before after the new update. What im seeing is what looks like blob when the TV first boots up. I'm saying basically a blob or such before I actually see the picture, it looks like, it hard to describe a blob screen!

After the Tv boots up everything looks fine, I don't see any difference in the picture quality or anything else. No DSE, or anything out of the ordinary.

I was just wondering if anybody else has seen that when your TV boots up, to see that blob screen? It's only visible for either one or two seconds that's it.

(Blob Screen) Looks like backlighting on with no content, not all zone on. I think this has been mentioned somewhere before in the thread, just didn't remember where. Has anyone else noticed this on their PQ Since the firmware update?
Nope. If it doesn't effect the actual usage of the TV, then don't worry about it. Also did you factory reset the TV? It is common knowledge in these threads that odd glitches can occur after firmware updates and performing a factory reset has fixed many of them. The old firmware stored files may have a different structure and/or system that could be conflicting with the new. Factory resetting completely clears stored settings and starts fresh.
TominCT likes this.
post #5138 of 5397 Old 05-06-2019, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Quote:

(Blob Screen) Looks like backlighting on with no content, not all zone on. I think this has been mentioned psomewhere before in the thread, just didn't remember where. Has anyone else noticed this on their PQ Since the firmware update?
Nope. If it doesn't effect the actual usage of the TV, then don't worry about it. Also did you factory reset the TV? It is common knowledge in these threads that odd glitches can occur after firmware updates and performing a factory reset has fixed many of them. The old firmware stored files may have a different structure and/or system that could be conflicting with the new. Factory resetting completely clears stored settings and starts fresh.
Thanks, Skschatzman your knowledge & expertise of PQ65-f1, it' has been priceless for me. Again thank you!

But this is kinda weird. I know u said always do a factory reset after every firmware update, but this time I didn't I just went ahead and let the update do its thing. And after two or three days

I decided well just go ahead and do the Factory reset when I did the update that's when I noticed the blotches. I guess I can do another Factory reset maybe that might fix it!

Thank you for all you help. Thanks to all my fellow forum members for your input.
TominCT likes this.
post #5139 of 5397 Old 05-07-2019, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks, Skschatzman your knowledge & expertise of PQ65-f1, it' has been priceless for me. Again thank you!

But this is kinda weird. I know u said always do a factory reset after every firmware update, but this time I didn't I just went ahead and let the update do its thing. And after two or three days

I decided well just go ahead and do the Factory reset when I did the update that's when I noticed the blotches. I guess I can do another Factory reset maybe that might fix it!

Thank you for all you help. Thanks to all my fellow forum members for your input.
I noticed the same thing after doing a factory reset. I'm curious if I should do another, however I don't see how that would change anything.

[Audio] Denon AVR 1610 | Polk R30, R15, CSi3
[Video] Vizio PQ65-F1
post #5140 of 5397 Old 05-07-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac VII View Post
Quote:

I noticed the same thing after doing a factory reset. I'm curious if I should do another, however I don't see how that would change anything.
Mine does it too, and I did a factory reset. I wouldn't describe it as a blob screen though... Just splotches of backlight before TV fully boots.
toonj64 likes this.
post #5141 of 5397 Old 05-07-2019, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfuegobuddha View Post
Mine does it too, and I did a factory reset. I wouldn't describe it as a blob screen though... Just splotches of backlight before TV fully boots.
I think an image would be useful here. For what it is worth, I am not seeing any 'blob' screen or anything like that - and I factory reset my TV after the firmware update.
post #5142 of 5397 Old 05-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

I have that too. First thing to pop up on the screen. Then it goes to a black screen and then the Vizio logo. Very splotchy looking.

post #5143 of 5397 Old 05-07-2019, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
I have that too. First thing to pop up on the screen. Then it goes to a black screen and then the Vizio logo. Very splotchy looking.

Yeah I have it too. It's just a slight change in the way the TV boots up. Basically all you are seeing is what your screen looks like when local dimming is turned off. The reason it looks slightly blotchy is local dimming does a great job of improving the screens black uniformity. All LED TVs have some amount of black uniformity issues when local dimming is turned off.

toonj64 likes this.
post #5144 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So I have a Yamaha TSR-7580 connected via the HDMI 1 ARC on the back to the HDMI 1 ARC on my Vizio PQ-65F1. I use the native Smart Cast apps like Netflix, Amazon, etc. With everything set up, whenever I turn on the power to my Vizio (with the Vizio remote), this triggers the Yamaha to turn on and the sound goes from being output from the tv speakers to being output through my stereo speakers hooked up to my Yamaha receiver. This is great sometimes when I want to enjoy a movie, etc.

I would like to be able to turn on my tv without it triggering the receiver to turn on, thus being able to listen to sound through the tv speakers. Then if I decide I want to listen through my receiver & those speakers, I can press the power on the Yamaha remote to turn it on. I've tried deactivating the HDMI control changing it to "disabled" and it ends up not picking up the tv sound through the HDMI/ARC input to the receiver. The only workaround I can figure out is disabling the CEC on the Vizio when I don't want to trigger the receiver and reenabling it when I do want it to.

I've read on other posts that CEC is good in theory, but a lot of people are having problems with it working correctly.
post #5145 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
So I have a Yamaha TSR-7580 connected via the HDMI 1 ARC on the back to the HDMI 1 ARC on my Vizio PQ-65F1. I use the native Smart Cast apps like Netflix, Amazon, etc. With everything set up, whenever I turn on the power to my Vizio (with the Vizio remote), this triggers the Yamaha to turn on and the sound goes from being output from the tv speakers to being output through my stereo speakers hooked up to my Yamaha receiver. This is great sometimes when I want to enjoy a movie, etc.

I would like to be able to turn on my tv without it triggering the receiver to turn on, thus being able to listen to sound through the tv speakers. Then if I decide I want to listen through my receiver & those speakers, I can press the power on the Yamaha remote to turn it on. I've tried deactivating the HDMI control changing it to "disabled" and it ends up not picking up the tv sound through the HDMI/ARC input to the receiver. The only workaround I can figure out is disabling the CEC on the Vizio when I don't want to trigger the receiver and reenabling it when I do want it to.

I've read on other posts that CEC is good in theory, but a lot of people are having problems with it working correctly.
when i want to use the tv speakers i just turn them on in the tv menu. that stops triggering the tv from turning my avr on.
post #5146 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I did some tests yesterday with my PQ65 and my old 2013 Samsung.

In previous message, I said that even at maximum motion control setting (10), it seems it still not enough compare to may older Samsung. What I mean is even at 10, there is still stutter and no SOE at all.

So I decided to test my old Samsung, with the same movie at the same time. I first disable Motion control (I think it's named AutoMotionPlus on samsung) just to make sure I see stuttering, which I see. Then I set it to maximum and I clearly see the awful DOE and no stutter at all.

So no, my PQ65, even at maximum motion control, doesn't even do half of what my Samsung do. Note that I don't want SOE but I would like to be able to set it just a little higher, which I can't since it's maxed out.

But from what I reading, some people here are able to get SOE, so it seems it does more than mine ?

Oh and another thing, I remember before the update that enabling Clear action (BFI) was clearly visible. Now when I activate it, there is absolutely NO effect at all. No dimming, image isn't dimming neither.

Maybe I should factory reset again ?
post #5147 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
when i want to use the tv speakers i just turn them on in the tv menu. that stops triggering the tv from turning my avr on.
ah, that seems to work as well. I guess I'm not the only one that had this issue. Good to know there is a work around...sort of.
post #5148 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DSE question

Hey guys. I'm on my second unit, I returned the first one because of a dead pixel or 2 on the center top left side of the screen as it was distracting and also had hdmi 2 port connection issues. Also wanted to note I also have had the bending on the top left side of both panels like in the pictures someone posted above but I don't mind that as much since it doesn't seem it should affect performance.

I've had the second unit for a few days and hdmi ports have been fine. I did find a stuck pixel on the bottom right of the screen which is not noticeable in real content. I think it's stuck because on a test dark grey screen with local dimming turned off it stands out as a green pixel, but turning the local dimming on makes it go dark and blend with the background.

I like the TV a lot, my only concern is the DSE/uniformirty, I'm not sure if this panel is good on that regard.
Here are a couple pictures of the 10% gray test screen. First in dark room, 2nd with a bit of side window daylight.
Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10% grey.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	640.0 KB
ID:	2564266   Click image for larger version

Name:	10% daytime.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	626.6 KB
ID:	2564268  
post #5149 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossetpolytope View Post
Hey guys. I'm on my second unit, I returned the first one because of a dead pixel or 2 on the center top left side of the screen as it was distracting and also had hdmi 2 port connection issues. Also wanted to note I also have had the bending on the top left side of both panels like in the pictures someone posted above but I don't mind that as much since it doesn't seem it should affect performance.

I've had the second unit for a few days and hdmi ports have been fine. I did find a stuck pixel on the bottom right of the screen which is not noticeable in real content. I think it's stuck because on a test dark grey screen with local dimming turned off it stands out as a green pixel, but turning the local dimming on makes it go dark and blend with the background.

I like the TV a lot, my only concern is the DSE/uniformirty, I'm not sure if this panel is good on that regard.

Here are a couple pictures of the 10% gray test screen. First in dark room, 2nd with a bit of side window daylight.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers.
I would say the DSE is pretty bad based on the photos.
post #5150 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I would say the DSE is pretty bad based on the photos.
Would this for example, make a horizontal panning shot in an icy/snow planet earth episode show the issue or is that something different?
I'm not good/experienced looking for these things in a static test screen other then single pixels, but I know you are knowledgeable about all these issues and this model, so your help is appreciated.

I'm posting the 30% and 50% gray screen if that helps more. Is this what bad uniformity/dse looks like? Might be worth requesting a panel exchange?
post #5151 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 02:34 PM

onboard test pattern
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30%.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	2564308   Click image for larger version

Name:	50%.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	2564310  
post #5152 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Would this for example, make a horizontal panning shot in an icy/snow planet earth episode show the issue or is that something different?

I'm not good/experienced looking for these things in a static test screen other then single pixels, but I know you are knowledgeable about all these issues and this model, so your help is appreciated.

I'm posting the 30% and 50% gray screen if that helps more. Is this what bad uniformity/dse looks like? Might be worth requesting a panel exchange?
The giant red blotchy spot in the middle of your 10% pattern. Unless it's a visual effect of a poor picture. This would manifest by color inaccuracy in the effected area.
post #5153 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
The giant red blotchy spot in the middle of your 10% pattern. Unless it's a visual effect of a poor picture. This would manifest by color inaccuracy in the effected area.
Okay, Local dimming is turned off to see it better and did some different color pattern tests and I notice a vertical bar taking about 1/3 of the tv from top to bottom in the center, it shows a slightly different color than the left third and the right third. I can see it in the onboard pattern test too.
I just wanted to make sure this was uniformity/DSE and not an innate thing to FALD sets, but I can see it with local dimming on or off.
post #5154 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, Local dimming is turned off to see it better and did some different color pattern tests and I notice a vertical bar taking about 1/3 of the tv from top to bottom in the center, it shows a slightly different color than the left third and the right third. I can see it in the onboard pattern test too.

I just wanted to make sure this was uniformity/DSE and not an innate thing to FALD sets, but I can see it with local dimming on or off.
The pictures you posted do not show much vertical banding. I was under the impression you were referring to the giant red blotchy spot in the 10% pattern picture you posted.
post #5155 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
The pictures you posted do not show much vertical banding. I was under the impression you were referring to the giant red blotchy spot in the 10% pattern picture you posted.
I thought I saw some discoloration and I guess the blotchy spot is noticeable in the picture. Is this supposed to show mostly at 10% white? Since it doesn't seem as noticeable at 30% and 50%?

I filed for a replacement and should be here next week. I think the 1st and and this second unit came from the same location/batch, they'll probably use that same batch for the third. I feel like I have better chance of a clean panel if they get something from a different storage unit/batch or is it that random from panel to panel?
post #5156 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 05:20 PM

My hesitation about exchanging this one was getting another one with noticeable dead pixels, which this second one doesn't have. I went for it though so hopefully I'm lucky to get a clean panel.
post #5157 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought I saw some discoloration and I guess the blotchy spot is noticeable in the picture. Is this supposed to show mostly at 10% white? Since it doesn't seem as noticeable at 30% and 50%?

I filed for a replacement and should be here next week. I think the 1st and and this second unit came from the same location/batch, they'll probably use that same batch for the third. I feel like I have better chance of a clean panel if they get something from a different storage unit/batch or is it that random from panel to panel?
I don't think you quite understand what I am asking you. The 10% image you posted. Do you not see the large reddish area that covers almost the entire center of the display? Do you see that only in the picture? Do you see it on the TV itself, not the picture.

It isn't a matter of "supposed" to show up at any percentage. If it is visible at any percentage and looks that bad, then I would say it is terrible. That is if the picture accurately depicts what you see on the TV.
Ph8te likes this.
post #5158 of 5397 Old 05-08-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I don't think you quite understand what I am asking you. The 10% image you posted. Do you not see the large reddish area that covers almost the entire center of the display? Do you see that only in the picture? Do you see it on the TV itself, not the picture.

It isn't a matter of "supposed" to show up at any percentage. If it is visible at any percentage and looks that bad, then I would say it is terrible. That is if the picture accurately depicts what you see on the TV.
On the 10% pattern I can't see if from an angle, but I can see the blotch if seated head on. I see it as a darker/yellowish patch cloud in the greater central part of the screen. Though it looks more pronounced and reddish in tone in the pictures I can see it head on in person as a cloudy patch.
post #5159 of 5397 Old 05-10-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Question for people who have an AVR with HDR passthrough:

With this Vizio, have you had success passing dolby vision even if your AVR specifies it passes HDR but not mention of DV??

Im looking for a cheap upgrade to my AVR that will pass everything and that the Vizio will take the signal properly.

Thanks!!
post #5160 of 5397 Old 05-10-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked: 5881
Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
Question for people who have an AVR with HDR passthrough:

With this Vizio, have you had success passing dolby vision even if your AVR specifies it passes HDR but not mention of DV??

Im looking for a cheap upgrade to my AVR that will pass everything and that the Vizio will take the signal properly.

Thanks!!

A Denon should take care of both HDR10 and DolbyVision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
audio issues , mute speaker , pq65-f1 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page