2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2200Likes

post #2131 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar_balla21 View Post
So I was watching Dunkirk on VUDU DV and I noticed some banding it looks like on the screen. Is this normal or did I get a bad panel? It's right next to the first plane and over toward the second.
Were you watching it straight on? The banding on this panel becomes more noticeable with off angle viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keabrown79 View Post
Quote:
So I was watching Dunkirk on VUDU DV and I noticed some banding it looks like on the screen. Is this normal or did I get a bad panel? It's right next to the first plane and over toward the second.
Were you watching it straight on? The banding on this panel becomes more noticeable with off angle viewing.
Yes it's off angle. I was just curious if it was normal for there to be that much banding off angle. Straight on you can see it a bit but not nearly as bad. This is my first time with a super duper 4K DV HDR TV so I want to make sure I did good lol. Im also going to clean the screen I hear that makes a difference sometimes. I've also noticed watching DV content on Vudu that the movie seems to move real fast. I was watching Infinity War and when Cap is fighting the monsters at Wakanda its very frantic and fast. Yet I watched it on youtube (non DV/HDR) it seemed to move at normal speeds. Not sure if this is just how DV content is on this TV
post #2133 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2897 Post(s)
Liked: 1686
Quote:
I've also noticed watching DV content on Vudu that the movie seems to move real fast. I was watching Infinity War and when Cap is fighting the monsters at Wakanda its very frantic and fast. Yet I watched it on youtube (non DV/HDR) it seemed to move at normal speeds. Not sure if this is just how DV content is on this TV
That does not sound normal. Try factory resetting the TV. Report results.

Last edited by skschatzman; 09-10-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Thinking about it... could it be slowed down on youtube to avoid being pulled for copywrite infringement?
post #2135 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thinking about it... could it be slowed down on youtube to avoid being pulled for copywrite infringement?
YouTube has paid streaming options. It's not a ripped copy. Basically runs off of the Google Play store.
post #2136 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post

Mounted and updating 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seeing it on the wall like that, really shows how nice the bezel-less design looks. The television should have very high WAF.
iChristopher likes this.
post #2137 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
What are you gonna do with all that money... you be rich! Them vizio atmos soundbars are coming out soonish
The reviews on most Atmos bars is pretty bad. I just kept the HW-MS650 Samsung Soundbar that I had originally gotten with the Q9FN.
post #2138 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Yes it's off angle. I was just curious if it was normal for there to be that much banding off angle. Straight on you can see it a bit but not nearly as bad. This is my first time with a super duper 4K DV HDR TV so I want to make sure I did good lol. Im also going to clean the screen I hear that makes a difference sometimes. I've also noticed watching DV content on Vudu that the movie seems to move real fast. I was watching Infinity War and when Cap is fighting the monsters at Wakanda its very frantic and fast. Yet I watched it on youtube (non DV/HDR) it seemed to move at normal speeds. Not sure if this is just how DV content is on this TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv4k View Post
The reviews on most Atmos bars is pretty bad. I just kept the HW-MS650 Samsung Soundbar that I had originally gotten with the Q9FN.
Yeah... I just want a soundbar that works with the vizio remote... I'm guessing the only way I can do that is with a vizio soundbar :/ lol
post #2139 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by iChristopher View Post
Just got mine today haven’t opened the box.... all these issues has got me scared. Not willing to play the panel lottery.

You should be fine.

Any TV can have issues, especially if you go hunt for them. You can read multiple horror stories about OLED banding on the A1E and LG units. The Sony Z9D is known to have sub par to bad uniformity and banding as well. Samsung is the same way. The Sony 930 E which is a great TV can have horrible clouding, ect. TCL 6 series is notorious for it's banding issues. My point is no units perfect and many have multiple issues.

For the most part everything on my unit from the gradients to the banding, blooming is all very minor and doesn't distract from the viewing experience. I don't really notice any clouding even watching a 4k 65 fps black screen video on Youtube. I couldn't even see my TV in the pitch black it was so dark. That being said I'm not too susceptible to issues as long as they're relatively minor.

It just depends on how picky you are and your unit. Every LED TV will most likely have some kind of noticeable issue. Even if you get an average PQ65 unit, there's still going to be issues. My advice is to just not go looking for them.
post #2140 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 5606 Post(s)
Liked: 3790
Quote:
Ok... I'll do a factory reset tonight just in case I changed something and report back.. Thanks! That makes me wonder if you need to do 3 different calibrations for this set or if it's only changing the backlight and EBEP settings... If I wanted to use Rtings setting where is the best place to put them in or would I need to do it 3 times minus messing with backlight or local dimming.
I think rtings only shares SDR. That you can enter anytime you are not watching HDR content. Use Calibrated or Calibrated dark for proper changeover.

Any HDR calibration will be entered while watching that type of HDR content.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #2141 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I've also noticed watching DV content on Vudu that the movie seems to move real fast. I was watching Infinity War and when Cap is fighting the monsters at Wakanda its very frantic and fast. Yet I watched it on youtube (non DV/HDR) it seemed to move at normal speeds. Not sure if this is just how DV content is on this TV
Ok so I tried out your calibration settings and it fixed it. I dont know what it was before but it looks better.

But the banding is still bad. My wife is normally a "you are looking WAY into it" kind of person with my electronics but even she could see the bad banding on Dunkirk from a straight on angle. Happens at the 6:45 portion of the movie. Hate to lug this thing back to Costco but just may.
post #2142 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Ok so I tried out your calibration settings and it fixed it. I dont know what it was before but it looks better.

But the banding is still bad. My wife is normally a "you are looking WAY into it" kind of person with my electronics but even she could see the bad banding on Dunkirk from a straight on angle. Happens at the 6:45 portion of the movie. Hate to lug this thing back to Costco but just may.
I might have some tips if you could clarify some things:
-What format are you watching Dunkirk in? 4k HDR, 1080p, etc.
-What is the disc or streaming source? Xbox, Sony 4k player, Netflix, etc?
-If you are using hardware player is it connected directly to the TV with a Certified Premium HDMI Cable?
shoman94 likes this.
post #2143 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I might have some tips if you could clarify some things:
-What format are you watching Dunkirk in? 4k HDR, 1080p, etc.
-What is the disc or streaming source? Xbox, Sony 4k player, Netflix, etc?
-If you are using hardware player is it connected directly to the TV with a Certified Premium HDMI Cable?
Thanks for the help! Im watching it in DV on Vudu. Native app on the TV
post #2144 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I would say that is borderline replacement worthy. Up to you.
What am I looking at in those photos? I want to do the same with mine to ensure I have a good panel but I looked at his photos and wasn't sure what the defect is...
post #2145 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Change it to low for SDR. Medium is meant for HDR
I think Rtings unit has unique properties that only works for that unit.
@skschatzman ,

Can you please explain why low is more appropriate for SDR than medium? Also can you expand on the statement that Rtings some got a unique set?

Thanks,
-phil

Life's a party, let's get out and strut.
post #2146 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
The Video that you Purchased/Rented via Vudu. Did you get the UHD, HDX or SD version?

Also consider this, Vizio processing power is probably the lowest of all the manufacturers. They don't spend a lot of money investing in fancy processors like Sony for example. So it is better to outsource the processing of videos to another device (Roku, Amazon Stick, Xbox, etc.). I use Vudu through Xbox one X. I have no problems with the TV and no problems with banding in UHD content. There are problems with HDX/SD content because it is blurry and lower quality. You also have to consider that Vudu as a streaming service itself is pretty bad. I often get stutters and bufferings while watching videos through that service.
post #2147 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
Quote:
The Video that you Purchased/Rented via Vudu. Did you get the UHD, HDX or SD version?

Also consider this, Vizio processing power is probably the lowest of all the manufacturers. They don't spend a lot of money investing in fancy processors like Sony for example. So it is better to outsource the processing of videos to another device (Roku, Amazon Stick, Xbox, etc.). I use Vudu through Xbox one X. I have no problems with the TV and no problems with banding in UHD content. There are problems with HDX/SD content because it is blurry and lower quality. You also have to consider that Vudu as a streaming service itself is pretty bad. I often get stutters and bufferings while watching videos through that service.
1) HDX content on VUDU isn't blurry at all.
2) I don't believe your experience with stuttering and buffering has anything to do with VUDU as a streaming service.

What this comes down to is that HDX/4K content on VUDU should and does look great on Vizio sets. Vizio sets have no problem with 1080p content and higher. HDX is 1080p.
joetech likes this.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #2148 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I got the UHD version. I already called Costco and they are going to replace is for me. Very easy and helpful customer service. I also watched Dunkirk UHD on Vudu on my TCL in the master bedroom and the banding is barely there so I'm sure it's the panel on the Vizio. I also have an Apple TV 4k coming tomorrow so I'll try it on there too but I'm sure its not going to make a difference.
shoman94, sk373 and leojj25 like this.
post #2149 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk373 View Post
1) HDX content on VUDU isn't blurry at all.
2) I don't believe your experience with stuttering and buffering has anything to do with VUDU as a streaming service.

What this comes down to is that HDX/4K content on VUDU should and does look great on Vizio sets. Vizio sets have no problem with 1080p content and higher. HDX is 1080p.
Let me clarify. Based on what he is saying it just seems to me that the problem is with built in Vudu app on the Vizio and it's ability to process UHD content. Probably an easy fix with a future update. Until then should connect an external hardware to stream UHD.
sk373 likes this.
post #2150 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakai432 View Post
You should be fine.

Any TV can have issues, especially if you go hunt for them. You can read multiple horror stories about OLED banding on the A1E and LG units. The Sony Z9D is known to have sub par to bad uniformity and banding as well. Samsung is the same way. The Sony 930 E which is a great TV can have horrible clouding, ect. TCL 6 series is notorious for it's banding issues. My point is no units perfect and many have multiple issues.

For the most part everything on my unit from the gradients to the banding, blooming is all very minor and doesn't distract from the viewing experience. I don't really notice any clouding even watching a 4k 65 fps black screen video on Youtube. I couldn't even see my TV in the pitch black it was so dark. That being said I'm not too susceptible to issues as long as they're relatively minor.

It just depends on how picky you are and your unit. Every LED TV will most likely have some kind of noticeable issue. Even if you get an average PQ65 unit, there's still going to be issues. My advice is to just not go looking for them.

Haven’t really had time to sit down and watch anything other than the news...

So far uverse 1080i looks decent enough. I did notice some slight dark banding... is it enough to bother me? I guess I’ll see later once I start viewing some dv hdr content. I might try the YouTube black screen vid. If you get a chance can you post the link. Thank you!

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme but it will only add to the overall beauty of my message.
post #2151 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Should be fine. I haven't seen anyone post pictures of a broken TV yet. Just don't do any barrel rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
We took ours for a fifty mile drive on it's back in an SUV. It was snug as a bug and it's picture quality has been outstanding. We feed it all our SD sources through an OPPO 203's HDMI IN port, and all our HDR shinny disks from the same OPPO in player mode. NFL from SF Bay Area Xfinity has been outstanding today. That includes having Xfinity convert all channels like NBC and CBS from 1080i to 720p before the signal gets to the OPPO. I really can't tell the football difference between the native 720p from Fox and the converted 1080i from NBC.

I have the last tow NBA games from the playoffs on our DVR and the motion and overall picture quality is just as good as the Kuro plasma. The colors are better.

The only weakness compared to our 60" Pioneer Kuro is off angle viewing for guests in the two seats on the left and the two seats on the right from the center two seats.

My original plan was to swap the PQ at Costco for a Black Friday LG 65C in November if the price is right. I like it so much I may not bother.

I picked up the fourth to last PQ in the Portland metro. I decided to pull the trigger and make the drive because the Costco reps said that was the only store with stock, no stores had orders for more, and they didn’t know when they were going to order more.

Hopefully my unit is in good shape and doesn’t have any of the quality issues. Otherwise I will have to monitor store availability and jump on a return when they get stock in.

leojj25 likes this.
post #2152 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 05:03 PM

Well as I was going back and forth the nail the in coffin happened today... stuck pixel, right in the black letterbox... just my luck hahaha... Guess it makes my decision to get a replacement ordered.
post #2153 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well as I was going back and forth the nail the in coffin happened today... stuck pixel, right in the black letterbox... just my luck hahaha... Guess it makes my decision to get a replacement ordered.
Stuck pixels don't warrant a replacement. Stuck pixels can be fixed.
post #2154 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 PM

Location: Wherever the Army sends me. Currently: Fort Bragg, NC
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just got a replacement set due the previous one having bad DSE. The new one is great in terms of tolerable DSE, but the screen randomly goes black for 1-2 seconds (sound remains). I did a factory reset and it still remains no matter the source. Sometimes it will do this a few times within a minute or go several minutes before it does this. I didn't have this at all with the first TV and all the cables and connections are the same, just one HDMI going from the Denon to the TV. Roku, PS3, and UBR-700 connected to the AVR. Any suggestions?
post #2155 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I would say that is borderline replacement worthy. Up to you.
I've had my set for two weeks now and this is the result of the test you suggested previously. I don't know if this constitutes a replacement though.. thoughts?
10%

30%

50%
post #2156 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Stuck pixels don't warrant a replacement. Stuck pixels can be fixed.
I'm running one of those pixel fixers now, who knows how successful it will be, but this in combination with the native app artifacting I'm having randomly kind of is the nail in the coffin of this unit
post #2157 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom0713 View Post
I've had my set for two weeks now and this is the result of the test you suggested previously. I don't know if this constitutes a replacement though.. thoughts?
10%

30%

50%
I think that looks pretty good IMHO..
Iluv4k likes this.
post #2158 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom0713 View Post
10%

30%

50%
Looks good to me
htwaits likes this.
post #2159 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I'm running one of those pixel fixers now, who knows how successful it will be, but this in combination with the native app artifacting I'm having randomly kind of is the nail in the coffin of this unit
Vizio has a "Zero Bright Pixel Guarantee". Kind of deceptive as I don't think it applies to "dead" pixel. But here is the link

https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US

Quote:
I think that looks pretty good IMHO..
Looks like you got a winner. Mine looks very similar.
shoman94 and leojj25 like this.
post #2160 of 5747 Old 09-10-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Vizio has a "Zero Bright Pixel Guarantee". Kind of deceptive as I don't think it applies to "dead" pixel. But here is the link

https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US

Looks like you got a winner. Mine looks very similar.

Yeah it's not dead, it's just a red pixel on a black screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
audio issues , mute speaker , pq65-f1 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page