2018 Vizio P-Quantum 65" PQ65 owners thread ** No Price Talk - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2181Likes

post #2641 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2838 Post(s)
Liked: 1655
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Just returned it to zero for the second time. Out of the box at 20 and reset to 0. Today found it at 20 and returned it to zero again. We'll see if it stays there.
Once changed, it doesn't return to 20 on it's own. It is defaulted to 20 for every picture mode on each input. This is why it may seem like you have changed it more than once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 03:58 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Good luck? As it’s been said countless times, happy owners tend to be quiet owners. You’re really only going to see posts from people having issues. Happy people tend to want to watch their TV. Also, the 900F is not without its own issues, so pick your poison.

Echoing this statement. Pretty much every thread on this board is filled with nothing but complaints. It will leave you terrified of buying any TV.

I got my PQ65-F1 last week and it's been almost flawless. There is some DSE, but it's so minor as to be invisible. It's better than the Samsung F8000 it replaced. I haven't noticed much banding. What I have noticed is an incredibly bright and colorful picture with low input lag on a TV with an amazingly thin bezel.
post #2643 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 5072 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropism View Post
Thanks for the help. it helped a LITTLE, but the banding is still really bad. This is after adjusting the settings:

https://i.imgur.com/q6f3AZA.jpg

For the record, this is over a gigabit connection, running a speed test from the Apple TV gives a 300mb/s connection.
This show is very compressed.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2644 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Windows 10, HDR & WCG settings on PQ65?

I switched it on (just because it was there in the Settings). White text is now red and the screen has a reddish hue.

Working as intended? Operator error (more than likely)? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance.
post #2645 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagyl View Post
Windows 10, HDR & WCG settings on PQ65?

I switched it on (just because it was there in the Settings). White text is now red and the screen has a reddish hue.

Working as intended? Operator error (more than likely)? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance.
Operator error sucks...I had the 'Night Light' setting on. When turned off, the text looks normal (white).

In edit-a bit of trivia: the remote control from the LG E6 can turn the PQ on and off.

Last edited by flagyl; 09-21-2018 at 09:13 AM.
post #2646 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Question, when watching non-4k inputs, dark areas often turn into blocks of blacks and dark grays. These blocks don't occur when watching the same show (and input) on my Samsung PNF8500. Is this what people mean by banding? Is it poor upscaling? And is there anything I can do to help?

Thanks
post #2647 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
Question, when watching non-4k inputs, dark areas often turn into blocks of blacks and dark grays. These blocks don't occur when watching the same show (and input) on my Samsung PNF8500. Is this what people mean by banding? Is it poor upscaling? And is there anything I can do to help?

Thanks
What do you mean by non-4k inputs? Sounds like you may have an incorrect settings configuration.
post #2648 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
What do you mean by non-4k inputs? Sounds like you may have an incorrect settings configuration.
Very few things are 4k (really only some netflix and prime shows), but most still aren't 4k, neither is Playstation Vue.
post #2649 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very few things are 4k (really only some netflix and prime shows), but most still aren't 4k, neither is Playstation Vue.
You didn't answer my question. What 4k inputs are you talking about?

Smartcast?
PlayStation?
Xbox?
AppleTV?
Roku?
Nvidia Shield?
Other?

BTW there is tons of 4k material available.
post #2650 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
You didn't answer my question. What 4k inputs are you talking about?

Smartcast?
PlayStation?
Xbox?
AppleTV?
Roku?
Nvidia Shield?
Other?

BTW there is tons of 4k material available.
And you didn't answer any of my questions. Essentially what is being input to the TV is not 4k because the format is not 4k. I know what 4k material is available. FYI, I usually use a 4k Ultra Fire TV. (Edit - through HDMI 1 before you ask if it's 5)
post #2651 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And you didn't answer any of my questions. Essentially what is being input to the TV is not 4k because the format is not 4k. I know what 4k material is available. FYI, I usually use a 4k Ultra Fire TV. (Edit - through HDMI 1 before you ask if it's 5)
Nobody can answer any of your questions if you don't articulate or word your questions in a manner that is understandable. I realize you asked a few questions, but in order for us to help you, we need more info before we can answer any or all of them.

The word "input" in this industry describes an external source device. Hence why I asked...

Now that we know what device you are using, let's find out what output settings you are using for the FireTV device. Also post what picture mode on the TV you are using and what settings you changed. Also post pictures of the issue. Thanks.
guacamoleparty likes this.

Last edited by skschatzman; 09-21-2018 at 09:57 AM.
post #2652 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6578 Post(s)
Liked: 6348
Quote:

Thanks

What you are describing are compression artifacts. This is usually caused by low bitrate sources (especially when streaming). Banding is just that banding. It looks like bands of color on the screen. Since we don’t know what size you came from it’s hard to say. If you don’t see these artifacts with higher quality sources such as Blu-rays or UHDBRs then you know it’s the source that’s the issue.
post #2653 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
What you are describing are compression artifacts. This is usually caused by low bitrate sources (especially when streaming). Banding is just that banding. It looks like bands of color on the screen. Since we don’t know what size you came from it’s hard to say. If you don’t see these artifacts with higher quality sources such as Blu-rays or UHDBRs then you know it’s the source that’s the issue.
I'm sure that is the root cause, however I have seen a rash of users with incorrect settings that amplify the issue. Let's get more info before we assess.
post #2654 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 01:24 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Once changed, it doesn't return to 20 on it's own. It is defaulted to 20 for every picture mode on each input. This is why it may seem like you have changed it more than once.
OK. Yesterday I found that calibrated dark had been changed to calibrated. I think the Vizio remote OK button and arrows operate just enough differently that I've sent the wrong message more than once. Sometimes I'm sending OK when I intend to send one of the arrow commands.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
post #2655 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropism View Post
The Battle of Blackwater episode. I believe S2, Ep 9?
I couldn't pinpoint this exact frame - sometime just before the wildfire? Either way I did see similar banding, though not quite as bright. I compared it to the same scene via iTunes streaming, local iTunes server - far less banding; more of a pixelated grain. The Blu-Ray was a tad better. There's no 4K/HDR version of S2 yet to compare. (even then, the UHD is upscaled, and I believe the review only noted marginal improvements; hopefully they will improve when the inevitable box set arrives at the conclusion)

Anyway - I wouldn't blame the TV too much for this one, I think it would be some miraculous processing to smooth the HBO Go quality w/o just smearing everything!
post #2656 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 5
What's a good program or thing to run to check for DSE or other screen abnormalities?
post #2657 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braggtrooper View Post
What's a good program or thing to run to check for DSE or other screen abnormalities?
Watching NHL broadcasts are usually a good DSE torture test for tv's. Youtube videos of moving clouds...you can actually do a DSE test search on youtube and find a number of good test videos. Here's one that most people use.

post #2658 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post
I couldn't pinpoint this exact frame - sometime just before the wildfire? Either way I did see similar banding, though not quite as bright. I compared it to the same scene via iTunes streaming, local iTunes server - far less banding; more of a pixelated grain. The Blu-Ray was a tad better. There's no 4K/HDR version of S2 yet to compare. (even then, the UHD is upscaled, and I believe the review only noted marginal improvements; hopefully they will improve when the inevitable box set arrives at the conclusion)

Anyway - I wouldn't blame the TV too much for this one, I think it would be some miraculous processing to smooth the HBO Go quality w/o just smearing everything!
I'm getting this impression as well, and yes, this was right before the wildfire hit.

Once I switched from HBO Go to, say, Netflix (Planet Earth 2 for the torture test), DirecTV Now to watch the hockey game, etc, everything went perfectly.

Turning off HDR and letting the source determine HDR/SDR did wonders though, even with GoT.
post #2659 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalibur View Post
Got my PQ this week. Got a very uniform panel so very happy about that.

The only issue I’ve seen so far is that HMDI-1 where I have my old Onkyo SR605 connected wouldn’t let me change Sharpness from default of 20 (item was greyed out). Also the Color Tuner was greyed out (though I didn’t want to change that). Other inputs for example ATV4K didn’t do this.

I was able to change those settings only after unhooking that HDMI. When I plugged it back in, those options went disabled again but the Sharpness stayed at 0 where I set it . I need to check with a pattern if it really changed sharpness. Anyone else see this behavior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replying to myself here just in case it helps others. Through trial and error, I figured out my old AVR just doesn’t like the HDMI 2.0 ports. Same cable and all plugged into HDMI-5 (1.4) made everything work. All Picture settings available and colors are much better. Something was definitely getting downgraded or miscommunicated in the hdmi handshake the other way. Not sure if this is something Vizio could be doing better and will fix or just a limitation of the AVR, which I think is hdmi 1.3 actually.

I have an ATV4K and PS4Pro plugged in direct but was using the AVR as a splitter for the other sources. Appears I’ll be using it truly just for audio now... Until I buy my next toy

Anyway, no other issues here and I’m absolutely loving this set. The picture is fantastic.

Malakai432 likes this.
post #2660 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post
Echoing this statement. Pretty much every thread on this board is filled with nothing but complaints. It will leave you terrified of buying any TV.

I got my PQ65-F1 last week and it's been almost flawless. There is some DSE, but it's so minor as to be invisible. It's better than the Samsung F8000 it replaced. I haven't noticed much banding. What I have noticed is an incredibly bright and colorful picture with low input lag on a TV with an amazingly thin bezel.
Same, I actually chose this TV over a x900f and I do agree with Rtings assessment as to why it rates as the highest rated LED on the market as of now. I feel that their unit they reviewed is average as well.
post #2661 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkalibur View Post
Replying to myself here just in case it helps others. Through trial and error, I figured out my old AVR just doesn’t like the HDMI 2.0 ports. Same cable and all plugged into HDMI-5 (1.4) made everything work. All Picture settings available and colors are much better. Something was definitely getting downgraded or miscommunicated in the hdmi handshake the other way. Not sure if this is something Vizio could be doing better and will fix or just a limitation of the AVR, which I think is hdmi 1.3 actually.

I have an ATV4K and PS4Pro plugged in direct but was using the AVR as a splitter for the other sources. Appears I’ll be using it truly just for audio now... Until I buy my next toy

Anyway, no other issues here and I’m absolutely loving this set. The picture is fantastic.

I may go out tomorrow or next week and buy a PS4 pro. Have you played any 4k HDR gaming as of yet? I do have my set connected to my gaming PC in 1080p 120 hertz and it looks amazing. That being said I watched some 4k hdr video of God of War 4k HDR and HZD 4k HDR just via Youtube and it looked better than Farcry 5 @ 1080p 120 hertz ultra settings. That being said Farcry 5 @ 120 Hertz 1080p still looked absolutely amazing.

This TV appears to be easily one best gaming TV on the market.

Last edited by Malakai432; 09-21-2018 at 08:18 PM.
post #2662 of 5651 Old 09-21-2018, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakai432 View Post
I may go out tomorrow or next week and buy a PS4 pro. Have you played any 4k HDR gaming as of yet? I do have my set connected to my gaming PC in 1080p 120 hertz and it looks amazing. That being said I watched some 4k hdr video of God of War 4k HDR and HZD 4k HDR just via Youtube and it looked better than Farcry 5 @ 1080p 120 hertz ultra settings. That being said Farcry 5 @ 120 Hertz 1080p still looked absolutely amazing.

I played some Horizon Zero Dawn earlier tonight and the HDR was really impressive. I haven’t popped in GoW yet because I already beat it, but plan to check it out too. I don’t game on PC so my expectations aren’t super high, but I’m loving this combo. Latency is very good too.

post #2663 of 5651 Old 09-22-2018, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Hey everyone, non-owner here and wanted to quickly pop in. I was just curious why there's such a lack of reviews on this set so far given how far into the season we're in since it released. I'm entertaining the idea of replacing my current 17 M series with this set and have been keeping an eye on reviews. But so far, by my count there are only two official reviews I can find by search and through youtube: one by rtings and the other reviewed.com

Am I missing anything?

LG OLED55C7P | Vizio M65‑E0 | Sony UBP-X700 | Apple TV 4K | Pioneer VSX-1121
post #2664 of 5651 Old 09-22-2018, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3066 Post(s)
Liked: 3786
^I cant provide the link but techradar has a review for these.
PeeJHooK likes this.
post #2665 of 5651 Old 09-22-2018, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakai432 View Post

I think its really good tv for gaming. I think the motion handling is great. I've played a few games in HDR its pretty good. The only thing is that blooming on the xbox dashboard is noticeable with local dimming enabled. But for me its better in just about every way compared to the KS8000 which was the TV I used previous.
post #2666 of 5651 Old 09-22-2018, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeJHooK View Post
Hey everyone, non-owner here and wanted to quickly pop in. I was just curious why there's such a lack of reviews on this set so far given how far into the season we're in since it released. I'm entertaining the idea of replacing my current 17 M series with this set and have been keeping an eye on reviews. But so far, by my count there are only two official reviews I can find by search and through youtube: one by rtings and the other reviewed.com

Am I missing anything?
Witecutter also has a review up calling it the best LED LCD TV they’ve ever seen.
post #2667 of 5651 Old 09-22-2018, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked mine up yesterday but won't be able to unbox it until I move next Saturday. The Costco deal ends Monday I think. If you are in Washington State I know that Covington and Puyallup both have a couple. I was lucky and Covington had one SB3621N-E8M sound bar left for $105 that I'd been wanting (it's been sold out online for a while).

I'm looking forward to getting it on the wall and setup right. My other TV is a Samsung LED DLP so I am sure I will be happy with this one.

The reviews that say it might not be worth the extra $ over the P series are basing that on the $2099 MSRP not the Costco/Sams Club deal.

Last edited by Jaxhog; 09-22-2018 at 03:12 PM.
post #2668 of 5651 Old 09-22-2018, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I got my second unit, vertical DSE is almost non-existent.
Will post pictures soon.
post #2669 of 5651 Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We purchased this TV a week ago and are very happy with it. The picture is very bright and clear. However, we have noticed an issue when turning on the TV. Sometimes there is sound only or a very dim picture with sound. I thought it may be HMDI related so yesterday I switched my DTV Genie DVR from HDMI 1 (downward facing) to HDMI 4 (side facing). Unfortunately, I noticed the issue again this morning when I turned on the TV. At first I had sound only, no picture. I then powered off the TV and powered it back on. The picture was very dim with sound. I left the TV on and unplugged HDMI 4 and plugged it back in. Same dim picture with sound. I again powered off the TV and powered it back on and the picture was bright and clear. I love the TV, but am concerned I have a dud. Should I return it to Costco? Has anyone else experienced similar issues with this TV?
post #2670 of 5651 Old 09-23-2018, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifikid View Post
We purchased this TV a week ago and are very happy with it. The picture is very bright and clear. However, we have noticed an issue when turning on the TV. Sometimes there is sound only or a very dim picture with sound. I thought it may be HMDI related so yesterday I switched my DTV Genie DVR from HDMI 1 (downward facing) to HDMI 4 (side facing). Unfortunately, I noticed the issue again this morning when I turned on the TV. At first I had sound only, no picture. I then powered off the TV and powered it back on. The picture was very dim with sound. I left the TV on and unplugged HDMI 4 and plugged it back in. Same dim picture with sound. I again powered off the TV and powered it back on and the picture was bright and clear. I love the TV, but am concerned I have a dud. Should I return it to Costco? Has anyone else experienced similar issues with this TV?
Try factory resetting the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
audio issues , mute speaker , pq65-f1 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page