Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 667Likes

post #1231 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8nautiger View Post
I just set up my P75-F1 yesterday.
However, when I go to Settings>Picture>More Picture I do NOT have Xtreme Black Engine Pro...instead it says "Active Full Array".
What does this mean?? Did they send me an older TV or is this OK??
The most recent firmware update changed the name of this menu item. It now accurately describes this feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebirth View Post
I'm really not sure that's the case. It is something odd that the full array algorithm is producing. There's no reason the hardware would require zones be darkened around a highlight when those surrounding zones also have highlights. It's incredibly evident in dark movie/tv scenes on my set. What do you have your 'Active Full Array' setting at?

I turned it off as suggested in rtings calibration page. I played some HDR content from youtube through the TV app, they look awesome. I used "LG 4K DEMO HDR 2018 (60FPS) OLED PERPECT BLACK" in youtube to test for blacks, I didn't see any of the issues you mention. I read somwhere that youtube app doesn't support HDR10 in p55-f1 but the TV picks up the signal as HDR10

The problem I face are that I cant get audio from my PC when using Denon receiver in-between. No issues directly connecting the tv to PC, when i put denon in-between, audio just wont play. I am trying to work around it.
post #1233 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Here's another question as I'm trying to understand the full capabilities of this TV.

I have a Tivo Bolt with Verizon Fios cable card installed. I have it connected to HDMI 1.
When watching regular TV content, (football, shows, etc) when I press the "info" button on the Vizio remote, the drop down at the top of the screen shows "2160p".
My Tivo also has a Netflix app and when I go to HDR or Dolby Atmos content (e.g. Lost In Space) the "info" button shows "2160p".
When I go to Netflix using the TV's "Smartcast" and go to the same content the "info" button shows "1080p" and not "2160p".

The TV also seems to automatically go to "Vivid" mode as well.

Question is: How do I know that what I am seeing actually is HDR or Dolby Atmos?? Shouldn't the "info" button indicate "HDR" or "Dolby Atmos"? Or, is "2160p" correct?

Also, how do I get the TV to remain in "calibrated" or "calibrated dark" instead of switching to "Vivid"??

Either way the pictures look GREAT either through the Tivo or Smartcast...maybe I can't tell too much difference as I sit about 12 feet away and my eyes can't detect it.

Trying to get the full benefit of this TV's capabilities. Will look for best video calibration settings later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1234 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Here's another question as I'm trying to understand the full capabilities of this TV.

I have a Tivo Bolt with Verizon Fios cable card installed. I have it connected to HDMI 1.
When watching regular TV content, (football, shows, etc) when I press the "info" button on the Vizio remote, the drop down at the top of the screen shows "2160p".
My Tivo also has a Netflix app and when I go to HDR or Dolby Atmos content (e.g. Lost In Space) the "info" button shows "2160p".
When I go to Netflix using the TV's "Smartcast" and go to the same content the "info" button shows "1080p" and not "2160p".

The TV also seems to automatically go to "Vivid" mode as well.

Question is: How do I know that what I am seeing actually is HDR or Dolby Atmos?? Shouldn't the "info" button indicate "HDR" or "Dolby Atmos"? Or, is "2160p" correct?

Also, how do I get the TV to remain in "calibrated" or "calibrated dark" instead of switching to "Vivid"??

Either way the pictures look GREAT either through the Tivo or Smartcast...maybe I can't tell too much difference as I sit about 12 feet away and my eyes can't detect it.

Trying to get the full benefit of this TV's capabilities. Will look for best video calibration settings later.
Not familiar with the TiVo Bolt but it sounds like it does 4K upscaling? That's why whatever you watch through it registered as 2160p. As far as the Native Netflix app displaying 1080p maybe it's because you have the HD only plan instead of the 4K plan? Make sure you signed up with Netflix for the 4K plan.

You'll know what you're watching because when you press info it'll tell you Dolby Vision, HDR10 etc.

The TV remembers what picture mode you last used for a particular input. If you use Calibrated Dark for HDMI1 it'll be on that when you return from HDMI2 or SmartCast or Channels

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #1235 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus0322 View Post
Not familiar with the TiVo Bolt but it sounds like it does 4K upscaling? That's why whatever you watch through it registered as 2160p. As far as the Native Netflix app displaying 1080p maybe it's because you have the HD only plan instead of the 4K plan? Make sure you signed up with Netflix for the 4K plan.

You'll know what you're watching because when you press info it'll tell you Dolby Vision, HDR10 etc.

The TV remembers what picture mode you last used for a particular input. If you use Calibrated Dark for HDMI1 it'll be on that when you return from HDMI2 or SmartCast or Channels

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Outstanding! Thanks...I'll check my Netflix account!
post #1236 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 AM

To follow-up on what i said earlier, even though i turn off FALD it enables itself to medium for HDR10 videos. Also i did notice the halo effect in a different video. It seems FALD is prone to bloom/halo and there is no way around it.
post #1237 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I was watching mad Max fury road on Vudu 4k and several times in the sky areas could clearly see the donut shaped led rings behind the screen... It was pretty painfully visible if you just look at one spot in the sky... I thought it was DSE for a bit but then noticed it's even across the whole screen.... Is this normal?
post #1238 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
New Audio related question here regarding DTS Pass through with 48khz-24bit audio.

For the first year or so of ownership of my older P55-C1, I was able to run DTS 5.1 audio passthtough via Optical from my PS4 Pro.
Worked like a charm, basically set up PS4 for DTS via optical. PS4 connected to Vizio via HDMI 1, Audio Digital Audio Out settings set to Bitstream. Just as you'd expect.

... this used to work no problem. Until one of Vizios big firmware updates (i think the one that put chrome cast back in as a streaming option)

I thought this issue was with the TV at the time, however the new P65-F1 also has the same problem.

When ever I set the audio to Bitstream, it outputs to my Z-5500's as DolbyD 48khz-16Bit. Not sure if its the PS4 not actually outputting DTS audio anymore or what since the info on the Vizio button always shows "Dolby Audio" as its audio source.

So i guess my question is, has anyone else gotten DTS audio to output via Optical-Bitstream, or am I the only one having this issue.
post #1239 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You guys are way beyond my technical prowess. So thank all of you for contributing to people like myself to enjoy their tvs. audio etc.

Have a vizio p55f1, using the rtings calibrated settings. It is my first HDR tv, My other tv is a M series vizio as well. I use a Intel 8700k, w/ 1080ti for my pc

Don't know if this is an issue but the 1080ti does not recognize the p55f1 as 10bit in the NVidia settings, also no 4.4.4 only 4.20. The Vizio settings does not show the UHD option at all. Should I be using the WIN10 HDR switch (on or off??).

Madvr osd shows 10bit. I am using my pc with a display port cable. The cast stuff looks magnificent.

Also the Nvidia driver only recognizes the digital audio as stereo. If I am not mistaken the toslink optical output only has enough bandwidth for 5.1 not digital master audio 7.1. Are you guys running a separate hdmi to your audio system for true 7.1??

Playing a video with MPCHC/Madvr through my video card/pc looks washed out, like a film (no pun intended) over the screen. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?? Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Last edited by colklink14; 12-03-2018 at 11:16 AM.
post #1240 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 348
You sound pretty technicallly knowledgable to me.

Epson 8350 / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 / Panasonic P50ST60 / Vizio P502ui-B1E / Sony 50W700B
Sony S790 / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2
Sony NT5 / Samsung F550 / Speakercraft CS3 / Yamaha YAS-105
post #1241 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We decided to keep the Vizio P65-F1. It's got some banding, but it's not too intrusive.

I might get a TCL 65R617 just for sh-ts and giggles.

post #1242 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colklink14 View Post
Playing a video with MPCHC/Madvr through my video card/pc looks washed out, like a film (no pun intended) over the screen. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?? Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Sounds to me like Color space Y Pb Pr -> RGB Full Range color not being handled right.
post #1243 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just purchased the P65-F1. Really happy with it. Only problem I've noticed is some minor DSE when viewing live NFL. (Fios cable 1080i). I ran the infamous DSE hockey test and noticed a grid of slightly darker boxes, mainly on the right side of the screen. I was uber careful when handling this tv so theres no way I damaged it during installation. My question, is this normal? Normal content is awesome, TV works great, but just the DSE when watching live sports and the grid during the DSE hockey test. Am I being overly picky?
post #1244 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 02:14 PM

I got a question about DSE. Does everyone having p series see a black halo when the TV loading status is shown. If you look at this video (
) from 0:22 onwards, there is a black halo around the while circle, Is this DSE because of FALD? Does everyone see it with FLAD set to medium?
post #1245 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandu1986 View Post
I got a question about DSE. Does everyone having p series see a black halo when the TV loading status is shown. If you look at this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UiVFO2qOrU) from 0:22 onwards, there is a black halo around the while circle, Is this DSE because of FALD? Does everyone see it with FLAD set to medium?
Yep. Probably because of FALD. Not an issue IMO as I don't notice that for regular content other than typical blooming associated with FALDs that don't have too high numbers. We got like only 56 bulbs for the 55 inch. 100 for 65.
Jtizzle34 likes this.
post #1246 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Yep. Probably because of FALD. Not an issue IMO as I don't notice that for regular content other than typical blooming associated with FALDs that don't have too high numbers. We got like only 56 bulbs for the 55 inch. 100 for 65.
Quote:
I got a question about DSE. Does everyone having p series see a black halo when the TV loading status is shown. If you look at this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UiVFO2qOrU) from 0:22 onwards, there is a black halo around the while circle, Is this DSE because of FALD? Does everyone see it with FLAD set to medium?

I've noticed the white "halo" on a dark background when loading. Doesn't affect normal viewing for myself.
Jtizzle34 likes this.
post #1247 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclancy79 View Post
Just purchased the P65-F1. Really happy with it. Only problem I've noticed is some minor DSE when viewing live NFL. (Fios cable 1080i). I ran the infamous DSE hockey test and noticed a grid of slightly darker boxes, mainly on the right side of the screen. I was uber careful when handling this tv so theres no way I damaged it during installation. My question, is this normal? Normal content is awesome, TV works great, but just the DSE when watching live sports and the grid during the DSE hockey test. Am I being overly picky?
I've had my P75-F1 and ran some of those DSE tests including the Hockey Test. I noticed some DSE but it didn't seem nearly as bad as what some others have posted...I did not notice any grid though!
What those DSE tests made me notice were the "floaters" in my eyes!! So my own eyeballs are more distracting than DSE!

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20372346

Sucks getting old!
Hyralak likes this.
post #1248 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anybody know how to stream HDR from Amazon (Prime)? I'd like to rent new release films in HDR. What do I need to do?
post #1249 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just got home from work and ran the test again. Only in 2 colors do I notice a grid, but it's really subtle. The DSE overall is also very subtle and only noticeable in certain circumstances. I'm so happy with this TV!!!!

We tend to forget technology isn't perfect. Back when I worked at Magnolia A/V circa 2005 I refused to buy DLP because I thought the picture was garbage, couldn't afford plasma and bought a 36in HD Sony flat screen CRT and loved it. We are really fortunate that we are now able to jump to a high quality 65in screen without breaking the bank.
post #1250 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Does anybody know how to stream HDR from Amazon (Prime)? I'd like to rent new release films in HDR. What do I need to do?
I was confused about this as well (especially since the C1 didn't natively support Amazon for a long time due to licencing issues between google and all, but the app now does)

Basically 2 things have to be there
1st) it has to be labeled as a UHD 4K video.
2nd) when you select the video in the details section you should see a [HDR] tag on it next to the 5.1 audio tag and the like.

I wasn't able to get some content to work right since Amazon does a bad job of sorting content (hell I cant find 4K Grand Tour episodes anymore, let alone the HDR stuff... just 1080p)

But when i loaded up a more recent Amazon Prime originals which had the UHD banner on the thumbnail, and [HDR] tag in the description. As soon as the video loaded I had an HDR10 video signal as it buffered from 480p -> 2160p.

So try that, find a known good HDR/4K video on amazon. See what it does.

(also you can try the Builtin YouTube app and play proper HDR10/4K videos. It only plays as 1080p when I directly cast from my phone, but using the internal app through the VIA selection screen i can get 4k60 + HDR just fine such as a DigitalFoundry episode.
post #1251 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
This is the issue that you and I were discussing before. That's a really obvious example of it, but I can also see it in certain movie and TV content. It's quite distracting.

Some people are saying it's a symptom of FALD, but everything I've read about FALD TVs is that it should be basically the exact opposite (a little bit of light bleeding into dark areas), not a roving shadow that destroys highlights. It seems like the dimming algorithm is being too aggressive in trying to cut down on blooming, but is causing a dark artifact on screen.
post #1252 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I've noticed the white "halo" on a dark background when loading. Doesn't affect normal viewing for myself.
I don't think they're talking about the white halo on the black background, go further in the video when it switches to the white background.
post #1253 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Should I buy A Vizio P55-F1 looks great. But I am worried about HDMI 2.1 I am probably keeping this TV 5 years and by then PS5 and Xbox Next will be out with HDMI 2.1 and support for Dynamic HDR and Variable Refresh Rates.
This video fom Vincent Teoh at HDTVTest seems to address your concerns.

Why There Won't Be A True HDMI 2.1 TV at CES 2019... Does It Matter?

post #1254 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebirth View Post
This is the issue that you and I were discussing before. That's a really obvious example of it, but I can also see it in certain movie and TV content. It's quite distracting.

Some people are saying it's a symptom of FALD, but everything I've read about FALD TVs is that it should be basically the exact opposite (a little bit of light bleeding into dark areas), not a roving shadow that destroys highlights. It seems like the dimming algorithm is being too aggressive in trying to cut down on blooming, but is causing a dark artifact on screen.
Yeah, that seems to be an issue with the FALD algorithm. A reverse blooming if you will. Caused by the agressiveness of the FALD. You might tone it down by reducing the Active Full Array setting from High to Low.

post #1255 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmanx View Post
I was confused about this as well (especially since the C1 didn't natively support Amazon for a long time due to licencing issues between google and all, but the app now does)

Basically 2 things have to be there
1st) it has to be labeled as a UHD 4K video.
2nd) when you select the video in the details section you should see a [HDR] tag on it next to the 5.1 audio tag and the like.

I wasn't able to get some content to work right since Amazon does a bad job of sorting content (hell I cant find 4K Grand Tour episodes anymore, let alone the HDR stuff... just 1080p)

But when i loaded up a more recent Amazon Prime originals which had the UHD banner on the thumbnail, and [HDR] tag in the description. As soon as the video loaded I had an HDR10 video signal as it buffered from 480p -> 2160p.

So try that, find a known good HDR/4K video on amazon. See what it does.

(also you can try the Builtin YouTube app and play proper HDR10/4K videos. It only plays as 1080p when I directly cast from my phone, but using the internal app through the VIA selection screen i can get 4k60 + HDR just fine such as a DigitalFoundry episode.
Thanks, Thmanx. Ill try that. I wasnt seeing any UHD 4K or HDR10 or Dolby Vision labeling on any of the content. Ill look again on Wed.

post #1256 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My 50" 1080p HD sets have about 45 pixels per inch. A 65" 1080p HD sets has about 33 PPI. These 65" 4k sets have about 67 PPI. The 55" 4k sets have about 80 PPI.

post #1257 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
This video fom Vincent Teoh at HDTVTest seems to address your concerns.

Why There Won't Be A True HDMI 2.1 TV at CES 2019... Does It Matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0H...annel=HDTVTest
I saw that and thank you. He is a Pro but I disagree I think Samsung and LG will have TVs with 1 HDMI 2.1 port. I think that Dynamic HDR is worth waiting for and a Vizio TV with at least VRR.
I am undecided. And come here for guidance on what to do. If the P55-F1 goes on sale again it’s a done deal. But I doubt it. Not until SuperBowl time.
post #1258 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah Dynamic HDR and VRR are very desireable. Dolby Vision is Dynamic HDR but proprietary.

post #1259 of 2837 Old 12-03-2018, 06:20 PM

Other fun side note. I didn't realize the Internal VIA YouTube app, not only supports playback of HDR10, but also HLG (stumbled on this by accident as the TV was in autoplay)

Basically a way to cheat in some extra brightness and highlights, with out the black levels or HDR10 (or dynamic levels and maximum nits of DolbyVision)

Interesting to say the least, I knew the TV supported the lower broadcast standard for HLG, but had no idea the YT app actually supported it, cool stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HLG1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	2491080   Click image for larger version

Name:	HLG.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	700.0 KB
ID:	2491082  
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #1260 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So if you use an XBOX ONE X then it scales the image and not the TV right? Since it always says 2160p even though I’m watching an HD movie I imagine the Xbox has a better scaler for lower res stuff then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page