Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 667Likes

post #1261 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmanx View Post
New Audio related question here regarding DTS Pass through with 48khz-24bit audio.

For the first year or so of ownership of my older P55-C1, I was able to run DTS 5.1 audio passthtough via Optical from my PS4 Pro.
Worked like a charm, basically set up PS4 for DTS via optical. PS4 connected to Vizio via HDMI 1, Audio Digital Audio Out settings set to Bitstream. Just as you'd expect.

... this used to work no problem. Until one of Vizios big firmware updates (i think the one that put chrome cast back in as a streaming option)

I thought this issue was with the TV at the time, however the new P65-F1 also has the same problem.

When ever I set the audio to Bitstream, it outputs to my Z-5500's as DolbyD 48khz-16Bit. Not sure if its the PS4 not actually outputting DTS audio anymore or what since the info on the Vizio button always shows "Dolby Audio" as its audio source.

So i guess my question is, has anyone else gotten DTS audio to output via Optical-Bitstream, or am I the only one having this issue.
Most likely Vizio timed out on some of its Dolby licenses and either can detect via innternet that it sold for example 400,000 units and only 2% of people were using the features like you. So instead of paying More money to Dolby and Explanding it’s Licensing Vizio just decided to Do a Firmware Update and sneak disable that feature. Read the Firmware Update Details Notes Vizio is Required to Inform customers of what was done. Yet I suspect they do not fully and hope no one will notice if they do. Then they just say it’s a Bug and never address it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Any Xbox owners here? I’ve read in the display settings on the Xbox you should set it to 8bit bc all SDR media is 8bit and it’ll auto switch for HDR......just confusing that it has a 10 and 12 bit option...
post #1263 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
Any Xbox owners here? I’ve read in the display settings on the Xbox you should set it to 8bit bc all SDR media is 8bit and it’ll auto switch for HDR......just confusing that it has a 10 and 12 bit option...
I set mine (p55-f1 ) on xbox one x to 10-bit, but I don't watch much sdr content.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quick question can any of you recommend a extended warranty for my Vizio p55-f1, I don't believe Vizio offers one? Thank you for any suggestions and enjoy this lovely tv!

post #1265 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtizzle34 View Post
Quick question can any of you recommend a extended warranty for my Vizio p55-f1, I don't believe Vizio offers one? Thank you for any suggestions and enjoy this lovely tv!

I think Square Trade is very reliable.

Epson 8350 / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 / Panasonic P50ST60 / Vizio P502ui-B1E / Sony 50W700B
Sony S790 / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2
Sony NT5 / Samsung F550 / Speakercraft CS3 / Yamaha YAS-105
post #1266 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebirth View Post
This is the issue that you and I were discussing before. That's a really obvious example of it, but I can also see it in certain movie and TV content. It's quite distracting.

Some people are saying it's a symptom of FALD, but everything I've read about FALD TVs is that it should be basically the exact opposite (a little bit of light bleeding into dark areas), not a roving shadow that destroys highlights. It seems like the dimming algorithm is being too aggressive in trying to cut down on blooming, but is causing a dark artifact on screen.

I see what you are saying. The more I look for it I am seeing halos and reverse halos in other videos. I guess this is an issue with p series and not just in a few sets, and the only remedy is to set FALD to low or disable it altogether. Are you planning to return the TV?
post #1267 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclancy79 View Post
Just purchased the P65-F1. Really happy with it. Only problem I've noticed is some minor DSE when viewing live NFL. (Fios cable 1080i). I ran the infamous DSE hockey test and noticed a grid of slightly darker boxes, mainly on the right side of the screen. I was uber careful when handling this tv so theres no way I damaged it during installation. My question, is this normal? Normal content is awesome, TV works great, but just the DSE when watching live sports and the grid during the DSE hockey test. Am I being overly picky?

I'll bet those boxes are the centers of the LED backlights.

They are little donut shapped circles about 3 inches across and on my set you can clearly see them in light blue sky HDR areas like the sky in mad max fury road.

Initially you see the dark centers of each ring, but if you look you can see it's actually a light ring, not a dark center.

I think my TV was not handled carefully in transit by the delivery person so I might try for replacement set.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander

Last edited by Devedander; 12-04-2018 at 09:41 AM.
post #1268 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
P65-f1

If anyone is interested in selling their P65-F1, let me know. I bought the 55" version certain that it would be the perfect size. As it turns out, I can go bigger.

And considering all the hub-bub lately about the PQ differences, I'd definitely like to upgrade.

TIA
post #1269 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtizzle34 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
I set mine (p55-f1 ) on xbox one x to 10-bit, but I don't watch much sdr content.

Apparently it applies to games as well as movies.
post #1270 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by iondune View Post
We just got a Vizio P-Series 2018 P55-F1 TV a few days ago and have been happy with the performance of both movies and games. However, on the Xbox home menu (which is a uniform dark grey) I noticed some discoloration/darkness in the center of the screen.
This seems to be other than standard grey uniformity issues, that I know this panel has. There is definitely some minor clouding and artifacts in that respect, which show up on any uniform color screen. However, on specifically dark grey screens there is another distracting effect that looks like a darker/yellower brown spot.

It's like a reflection that moves in the opposite direction. If you're a little to the right of the screen, it's on the right. If you're a little to the left, it's on the left. If you're centered looking directly at the screen, it appears directly in the center.
Moving closer makes the spot smaller, and moving back makes the spot spread - from completely across the room, it appears to fill the middle third of the screen, with the left and right sides brighter.

I took a few noisy pictures that show the effect. It's maybe a little exaggerated in these photos, but not that much. Photos are attached below.

I would chalk this up to the viewing angle of this TV (which RTings points out is not great). But it's the part of the screen you're looking directly at that is discolored - everything else seems fine.

Changing settings does not seem to affect this, besides anything that affects brightness. It appears to be worst at around 15% Grey. Changing the gamma curve makes it so the screen is brighter/dimmer and thus changes the affect but it seems to be based on just the brightness.

I keep checking to make sure there's not some sort of film on the screen as that's almost what it looks like.

I'm trying to determine if this is just something that this type of TV does, or if it's a defect for our specific panel. We're still in the return period with Best Buy, I'd like to avoid the hassle of boxing it up and taking it back if possible, but obviously if our panel is defective I'd like to get another one.

Has anyone seen this kind of effect before? Does it seem like a defect or just something this TV does? Should we return and try for a second panel?
Hello. Did you end up figuring out more about this? I am experiencing the same effect but thought nothing of it in the first week or so. It looked as if my shadow was reflecting off the screen.
post #1271 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandu1986 View Post
I see what you are saying. The more I look for it I am seeing halos and reverse halos in other videos. I guess this is an issue with p series and not just in a few sets, and the only remedy is to set FALD to low or disable it altogether. Are you planning to return the TV?
I don't want to return it because it feels like something firmware could fix. I've reached out to VIZIO customer service to let them know of the issue. Hopefully more people will report it and they'll get a fix out.
post #1272 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkPlus View Post
Hello. Did you end up figuring out more about this? I am experiencing the same effect but thought nothing of it in the first week or so. It looked as if my shadow was reflecting off the screen.
I returned it for a second panel where the issue was slightly worse. So I returned that and got a Sony, I think the x900F. It also has the same effect, though a bit less intense. I think this is just something that VA panels do when you look at dark greys close to the screen.
post #1273 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
P55 f1 Horizontal line

New to posting here so take er easy on me. Im wondering if any reporters of the flashing horizontal line problem have found any fixes or have located the issue? Also curious if any recent buyers of the tv have had any issues with such.... Im connected to a xbox one x in HDMI port 5. Any help, information, or recommendations would be great for I am a complete greenhorn of the technology world.
post #1274 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebirth View Post
I don't want to return it because it feels like something firmware could fix. I've reached out to VIZIO customer service to let them know of the issue. Hopefully more people will report it and they'll get a fix out.

Yeah, its not so bad that it warrants a return. I will call support and report it.

I wonder if there are other TV brands with similar issues.

Last edited by shandu1986; 12-04-2018 at 07:52 PM.
post #1275 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I returned it for a second panel where the issue was slightly worse. So I returned that and got a Sony, I think the x900F. It also has the same effect, though a bit less intense. I think this is just something that VA panels do when you look at dark greys close to the screen.

Hey,

Since you had both vizio and sony, can you tell us about how they both compare? More specifically how the local dimming compares. Do you see anything like the dark halo at 0:22 in this video?
post #1276 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preceptor View Post
I need some help. I got my Vizio p75 f1 today and hooked it all up. I am having trouble with the sound. I can play Netflix with sound but my cable and Xbox are not producing sound. They did earlier today on my old tv. I have a Devon AVR controlling everything and am using a harmony 650 remote. I am using the hdmi 1 on the TV. I’ve tried to mess with the audio setting on the tv but nothing seems to work.

Here are some screen shots for those of you interested.

One last bump.

Were you able to resolve your sound issue with Denon?
post #1277 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey,

Since you had both vizio and sony, can you tell us about how they both compare? More specifically how the local dimming compares. Do you see anything like the dark halo at 0:22 in this video?
I didn't use the local dimming enough on the Vizio to see whether something like that happens. Sorry!
shandu1986 likes this.
post #1278 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

I didn't use the local dimming enough on the Vizio to see whether something like that happens. Sorry!
local dimming is on by default so unless you turned it off you used local dimming...... no one purposely turns it off would be a waste of money
post #1279 of 2837 Old 12-04-2018, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Since this tv has Chromecast built in, does that mean that I don't need a physical Chromecast device in order to have my Google Home Mini power it on/off using CEC?
Hopefully this is the case and it also applies to the new receiver that also has Chromecast built in.

Never mind. Found the answer and it is *no*. Oh well. It would have been cool to have, but not important enough to make me buy a couple of Chromecast devices.

Last edited by karelj; 12-04-2018 at 09:38 PM.
post #1280 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I apologize for not responding more quickly but I stay off the forums when I am not looking to buy something or having trouble. It gives me too many ideas to spend more money.

I could never get it to work right. I had a friend come over who is more of a self-described "tech nerd." We got the surround to work when I reduced the input to the TV to 1080. I could not get the sound to work while still playing 4k content. I upgraded my receiver and now everything is working correctly. I purchased the Denon S940H through accessories for less for $299. I also use the Harmony 650 remote. I am not sure that matters but the more information the better.

Good luck.

Quote:
One last bump.

Were you able to resolve your sound issue with Denon?
post #1281 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Another poster said they called Vizio Support and Vizio told them they were aware of this issue that is plaguing their P Series sets and is working on it. I would push to get a higher level tech on the phone line, somebody who isnt just reading scripts and actually knows what they are talking about.
Was on the phone with Vizio Support and asked to speak with a supervisor and honestly even the supervisor didn’t know much of what I was talking about. No offense but some of these people didn’t even seem to know what Dolby Vision was and was questioning if I was sure that this tv supports Dolby Vision...like seriously?

They offered me a swap which under normal circumstances would be fine but I paid close to $400 to have this tv professionally Calibrated. I tried explaining that to the agent but they didn’t know what calibrating a tv meant. It was frustrating. @Noydcom any way you could PM me and give me some better support options. At least you’d know my frustration in swapping a tv that I already had Calibrated
post #1282 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Ario816

I think this is a Netflix only issue. Has anybody reported it from any other source?

Somebody said it might be a Blacker than Black issue, but Im thinking it's a Netflix issue.

post #1283 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
@Ario816

I think this is a Netflix only issue. Has anybody reported it from any other source?

Somebody said it might be a Blacker than Black issue, but Im thinking it's a Netflix issue.
I’ve experienced this in the internal Netflix app, as well as using the internal VUDU app. And got the same results using the external source Apple 4K TV. So it’s not just the Netflix thing for me at least
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #1284 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
New to posting here so take er easy on me. Im wondering if any reporters of the flashing horizontal line problem have found any fixes or have located the issue? Also curious if any recent buyers of the tv have had any issues with such.... Im connected to a xbox one x in HDMI port 5. Any help, information, or recommendations would be great for I am a complete greenhorn of the technology world.
Just in case you're not aware, HDMI 5 does not support the full 4K bandwidth, meaning no HDR with your Xbox X. You have to use ports 1-4.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #1285 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:

I haven't heard anything new on it, but I just check in on here occasionally. When it happens to me, a soft power cycle on the TV makes it go away, for 1-2 weeks or more. So I'm just living with it for now. I would be very frustrated if it was an every day kind of thing.
post #1286 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My new Vizio P75-F1 arrived yesterday and interested to get your all’s opinion on proper setup for my situation.

Just joined and this is my first time posting, so go easy on me! Apologize for being a newbie.

Equipment:
- Vizio P75-F1 TV
- Vizio SB4551-D5 Sound Bar
- DIRECTV mini genie (not 4K... yet)
- Apple 4K TV
- Older Sony Blu-ray player

My internet is terrible (7 mbps) and I can’t get any better, so doubt I can get true 4K content until I upgrade DIRECTV equipment or get a new Blu-ray player.

What settings do you recommend for ideal picture, knowing most content will be 1080p?

Also, does the Vizio TV upscale automatically or is there a setting I need to enable? This is my first Vizio TV and google isn’t helping.

I am coming from a 55in Panasonic plasma, which I absolutely loved but it was time to upgrade size.

Thanks in advance for the help!
post #1287 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbd313 View Post
My new Vizio P75-F1 arrived yesterday and interested to get your all’s opinion on proper setup for my situation.

Just joined and this is my first time posting, so go easy on me! Apologize for being a newbie.
Welcome to the site!
Dont worry, we’re all pretty nice to each other here. We’re all in to make sure A/V enthusiasts fully understand, appreciate, and make full use of their electronic investments.

I’m sure others will chime in, but I’m curious. After coming from a Plasma, how does your new P75 fair?
post #1288 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Equipment:
- Vizio P75-F1 TV
- Vizio SB4551-D5 Sound Bar
- DIRECTV mini genie (not 4K... yet)
- Apple 4K TV
- Older Sony Blu-ray player

My internet is terrible (7 mbps) and I can’t get any better, so doubt I can get true 4K content until I upgrade DIRECTV equipment or get a new Blu-ray player.

What settings do you recommend for ideal picture, knowing most content will be 1080p?

Also, does the Vizio TV upscale automatically or is there a setting I need to enable? This is my first Vizio TV and google isn’t helping.

I am coming from a 55in Panasonic plasma, which I absolutely loved but it was time to upgrade size.

Thanks in advance for the help!
You should start with Calibrated Dark.

Turn the backlight down to 10 or so...or the lowest level to give you the brightness you are looking for.

Clear Action On (Off if you are bothered by 60hz flickering) This gives you higher motion resolution near full 1080 resolution.

Leave Black Detail to off

Gamma to 2.2

post #1289 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thmanx View Post
Quote:

Welcome to the site!
Dont worry, we’re all pretty nice to each other here. We’re all in to make sure A/V enthusiasts fully understand, appreciate, and make full use of their electronic investments.

I’m sure others will chime in, but I’m curious. After coming from a Plasma, how does your new P75 fair?
Excited to be a part of the community. I used to be way more knowledgeable and up-to-date in my younger years but don’t have as much time for that stuff these days!

Haven’t had enough time with it to give an accurate comparison. Seems obvious but going from 55 to 75 is a huge difference! Once I get more time with it this week, I’ll report back.

Forgot to mention - main viewing is sports, movies, and TV shows. I don’t game.

Thanks again for any advice/tips
LCC0256 likes this.
post #1290 of 2837 Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Just joined and this is my first time posting, so go easy on me!
You should start with Calibrated Dark.

Turn the backlight down to 10 or so...or the lowest level to give you the brightness you are looking for.

Clear Action On (Off if you are bothered by 60hz flickering) This gives you higher motion resolution near full 1080 resolution.

Leave Black Detail to off

Gamma to 2.2
Thanks for the tips!

Is there a specific setting(s) to enable upscaling or does it just happen automatically?

Something I forgot to mention, which I’m sure matters - main viewing is sports, TV shows, and movies. I don’t game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page