Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 667Likes

post #1291 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
After doing some more testing I have to say I am getting a bit soured on Vizios FALD algorithm..

In several movies I have now noticed it making very obvious lighting changes in non moving parts of the scene (often wall panels next to or between people.

The backlight seems to flicker on and off intermittently and is noticeable especially in your periphery.

This also happens in video games quite a bit. It can be reduced by putting local dimming to low, but it still happens and on low I find the effect of local dimming is largely lost.

I have a 65 inch TCL 6 series right next to it and don't experience any of the flickering on that set (played same content side by side at the same time to verify).

One good example is if you watch Taylor Swifts Shake it Off video, there are lots of scenes where people are wearing bright colored outfits and standing over dark backgrounds as they wave arms and legs. In these areas you can clearly see the local dimming in effect and it's pretty distracting.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
One good example is if you watch Taylor Swifts Shake it Off video, there are lots of scenes where people are wearing bright colored outfits and standing over dark backgrounds as they wave arms and legs. In these areas you can clearly see the local dimming in effect and it's pretty distracting.

Well, there's your problem right there...

But seriously, I turned everything to low and don't notice any rapid dimming.
LCC0256 likes this.
post #1293 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
After doing some more testing I have to say I am getting a bit soured on Vizios FALD algorithm..

In several movies I have now noticed it making very obvious lighting changes in non moving parts of the scene (often wall panels next to or between people.

The backlight seems to flicker on and off intermittently and is noticeable especially in your periphery.

This also happens in video games quite a bit. It can be reduced by putting local dimming to low, but it still happens and on low I find the effect of local dimming is largely lost.

I have a 65 inch TCL 6 series right next to it and don't experience any of the flickering on that set (played same content side by side at the same time to verify).

Low is recommended for non HDR content, the differences between the settings are light output mostly so setting it to high or medium for SDR is inaccurate hence why it defaults to medium for HDR content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures View Post
Just in case you're not aware, HDMI 5 does not support the full 4K bandwidth, meaning no HDR with your Xbox X. You have to use ports 1-4.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm aware. Do you think some of the issues could be from up-scaling?
post #1295 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
I haven't heard anything new on it, but I just check in on here occasionally. When it happens to me, a soft power cycle on the TV makes it go away, for 1-2 weeks or more. So I'm just living with it for now. I would be very frustrated if it was an every day kind of thing.
Thanks or the information nclou. When you say "soft power cycle" what do you mean? Yeah It would be frustrating. Iv seen the lines maybe 3 or 4 times now, as well as some other visual discrepancies when switching inputs. Sometimes twice during a session. Coming up on a warranty deadline so Im heavily debating getting rid of this guy. Really don't want to though, the tv is beautiful. What are the chances you think this could be a problem solved by a firmware update?
post #1296 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkPlus View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm aware. Do you think some of the issues could be from up-scaling?
It's so difficult to tell. I had a Vizio P55-F1 for 2 weeks before returning it due to the fact I couldn't take the Jailbar issue especially noticeable when playing Ghost Recon Wildlands in the game's nighttime hours when panning the camera around. It was brutal. I then purchased a Sony 55x900F and was blown away by the difference, in not being able to see any issue in that regard. However, I found the FALD blooming in the black bars to be quite a distraction while watching 4K movies compared to the Vizio, that was superior in keeping the black bars black. So back went the Sony.

So what's a person to do? All of these TV's are evidently going to have some kind of issue, so in the end it's up to the individual to decide what they're willing to put up with for the money paid. I'm currently awaiting arrival on another P55-F1 and I'm crossing my fingers that I luck out on the panel lottery and end up with a set that doesn't have the Jailbar issue that my previous set did as I actually preferred the blacks on it compared to the Sony and also being $300 less up here in Canada. I'll update my opinion once I receive the new unit.
EscapeVelocity and tubers like this.
post #1297 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 12
P75-f1

does anyone have the P75-F1 specifically with zero problems? how good is the quality? still waiting on damn Costco
post #1298 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just took possession of a P75-F1 tv last weekend and already have an HDMI issue, my input 1 is connected to 4k converter from my cable company and input 2 is connected an old Pioneer Elite receiver ( model vsx-82) and connected to a Nexus player, the only way I could get the sound to work on my input 1 is to set the TV on Quick start vs what read previously to have it on Eco mode. I initially thought the HDMI cables were at fault so I switched the cables around and still have no sound on input 1. I called Vizio and their solution was to send a repairman to come over and replace the HDMI board which I refused as I think it could be repaired by a firmware upgrade as input 1 works on Quick start. I love the picture quality but if the problem persists I will call Costco for an exchange or completely change brand, any comments or suggestion what I should do next.
Thanks
post #1299 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Thanks or the information nclou. When you say "soft power cycle" what do you mean? Yeah It would be frustrating. Iv seen the lines maybe 3 or 4 times now, as well as some other visual discrepancies when switching inputs. Sometimes twice during a session. Coming up on a warranty deadline so Im heavily debating getting rid of this guy. Really don't want to though, the tv is beautiful. What are the chances you think this could be a problem solved by a firmware update?

I just mean I restart the tv from the menu. Maybe it's not called soft power cycle, but something like that under the System menu.

I don't know if it can be fixed with firmware, I just don't know nearly enough about that. I think this was an issue with the previous generation, maybe someone on that thread can say if they fixed it. Something made me thing I read that they did fix it, but not sure. There seem to be very few of us experiencing the white lines in this model, based on what I see here, so I don't know if it's a priority.

I don't do any input switching because I go through an AVR, but when I do experience it, it affects even the native apps, so I always assumed it was not input related on my set.
post #1300 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
It's so difficult to tell. I had a Vizio P55-F1 for 2 weeks before returning it due to the fact I couldn't take the Jailbar issue especially noticeable when playing Ghost Recon Wildlands in the game's nighttime hours when panning the camera around. It was brutal. I then purchased a Sony 55x900F and was blown away by the difference, in not being able to see any issue in that regard. However, I found the FALD blooming in the black bars to be quite a distraction while watching 4K movies compared to the Vizio, that was superior in keeping the black bars black. So back went the Sony.

So what's a person to do? All of these TV's are evidently going to have some kind of issue, so in the end it's up to the individual to decide what they're willing to put up with for the money paid. I'm currently awaiting arrival on another P55-F1 and I'm crossing my fingers that I luck out on the panel lottery and end up with a set that doesn't have the Jailbar issue that my previous set did as I actually preferred the blacks on it compared to the Sony and also being $300 less up here in Canada. I'll update my opinion once I receive the new unit.
Can't remember where the last two was but not from this site at least. They also said that Vizio's inky blacks and less blooming was better on the Vizio P than the X900F.

Now I'm contemplating whether to get a fald set or not. Definitely not an edge lit local dimming unless the price is great.
post #1301 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Quote:

So what's a person to do? All of these TV's are evidently going to have some kind of issue, so in the end it's up to the individual to decide what they're willing to put up with for the money paid. I'm currently awaiting arrival on another P55-F1 and I'm crossing my fingers that I luck out on the panel lottery and end up with a set that doesn't have the Jailbar issue that my previous set did as I actually preferred the blacks on it compared to the Sony and also being $300 less up here in Canada. I'll update my opinion once I receive the new unit. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Can't remember where the last two was but not from this site at least. They also said that Vizio's inky blacks and less blooming was better on the Vizio P than the X900F.

Now I'm contemplating whether to get a fald set or not. Definitely not an edge lit local dimming unless the price is great.
On my set I get zero bloom in the black bars in SDR content and only a little in HDR in certain scenarios, the only issue I’ve had with FALD is when there’s a panning shot with like candles and dark spots between like some scenes in the NUN and this is HDR only but in those shots there’s a little fluctuation you notice bc of the nature of the bright to dark panning..... it’s pretty rare I’ve only noticed it in 2 movies out of 20 so far.
EscapeVelocity likes this.
post #1302 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:

If you took any pics of the jail bars could you post them? Yes I don't wish to go up to the x900f either for the price of the P series. Hope you hit the lottery!
post #1303 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
Low is recommended for non HDR content, the differences between the settings are light output mostly so setting it to high or medium for SDR is inaccurate hence why it defaults to medium for HDR content.
Fair enough, but I also noticed this effect in the movie Game Over Man (look I ,don't have a lot of HDR Content ok?) in several spots where the light could be seen flickering in areas that it shouldn't.

I'll try to capture some examples on video.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
post #1304 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
If you took any pics of the jail bars could you post them? Yes I don't wish to go up to the x900f either for the price of the P series. Hope you hit the lottery!
Thanks, I really hope so too. Unfortunately I never took pictures of the bars, but they were beyond acceptable and why I returned it. I also think something was up with the set right from the start because the first time I plugged it in and began testing it, I could smell what was like burning plastic. There was no smoke or anything, but just a terrible odour that lasted for 2 days and then disappeared.

Lol. Just as I was typing this the doorbell rang and my new Vizio was delivered. So I'll be setting it up tonight and will leave my initial impressions sometime tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's a good impression.
Jtizzle34 likes this.
post #1305 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Does anybody know what the light output numbers are for the Vizio P65-F1 in Calibrated picture mode. The Rtings site test using Calibrated Dark, so I think the values are lower than they would be on Calibrated in HDR 2% Peak, 10% Peak, 25% Peak, 50% Peak and 100% Peak.

Epson 8350 / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 / Panasonic P50ST60 / Vizio P502ui-B1E / Sony 50W700B
Sony S790 / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2
Sony NT5 / Samsung F550 / Speakercraft CS3 / Yamaha YAS-105
post #1306 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The TCL 6 series Native Contrast Ratio is better than the Vizio P Series, according to Rtings. Which would help with FALD side effects. The P Series Quantum is even higher.

post #1307 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched Elephant's Journey on Amazon, 1080p HD Streaming with my brothers daughters.

That one band was distracting me in pans in the sky. Ugh... It's about on the righthand side about 1/3 of the screen width in...and a few inches wide. It's a little darker than the surrounding screen.
tubers likes this.

post #1308 of 2838 Old 12-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Just an update for those of you that are having any issues with their P55-F1 or thoughts about purchasing one. I've had mine for a week now and haven't had any problems that I've noticed others having. I use it for gaming (PS4, Xbox One X), movies (HD, UHD, SD), casting, Firetv 4K, apps, etc. And have no issues. Picture quality is up there with the Sony x900e 2017, and I've tried all the standard tv tests with great results! So there are good panels for this tv out there as I'm not the only one. Thanks all and good luck with whatever you choose!

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk
post #1309 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Should I set UHD Color to ‘on’ for all input ports, even ones that aren’t passing in 4K content?

Wasn’t sure if it would hurt anything?

I have AppleTV 4K (internet is too slow to actually stream 4K) and DIRECTV mini genie.

Thanks!
post #1310 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
local dimming is on by default so unless you turned it off you used local dimming...... no one purposely turns it off would be a waste of money

I did turn it off. I turn it off in games usually as I find it pretty annoying in that context, and I didn't watch any movies on the Vizio before I returned it.
post #1311 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preceptor View Post
I apologize for not responding more quickly but I stay off the forums when I am not looking to buy something or having trouble. It gives me too many ideas to spend more money.

I could never get it to work right. I had a friend come over who is more of a self-described "tech nerd." We got the surround to work when I reduced the input to the TV to 1080. I could not get the sound to work while still playing 4k content. I upgraded my receiver and now everything is working correctly. I purchased the Denon S940H through accessories for less for $299. I also use the Harmony 650 remote. I am not sure that matters but the more information the better.

Good luck.

Thanks for getting back, Sorry if i was bothering you. I was kind off desperate for a solution, also you are the only person I found using the same denon model and facing a similar issue.
I can't buy a new AVR so I worked around the problem by sending video to TV and audio to AVR from the PC itself through 2 hdmi ports.
post #1312 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclancy79 View Post
Just purchased the P65-F1. Really happy with it. Only problem I've noticed is some minor DSE when viewing live NFL. (Fios cable 1080i). I ran the infamous DSE hockey test and noticed a grid of slightly darker boxes, mainly on the right side of the screen. I was uber careful when handling this tv so theres no way I damaged it during installation. My question, is this normal? Normal content is awesome, TV works great, but just the DSE when watching live sports and the grid during the DSE hockey test. Am I being overly picky?

I'll bet those boxes are the centers of the LED backlights.

They are little donut shapped circles about 3 inches across and on my set you can clearly see them in light blue sky HDR areas like the sky in mad max fury road.

Initially you see the dark centers of each ring, but if you look you can see it's actually a light ring, not a dark center.

I think my TV was not handled carefully in transit by the delivery person so I might try for replacement set.
Guys, I am noticing this exact thing. At first I was excited I had no DSE (like no clouding or thick bands) but then after running the Hockey test and sky-panning test videos on youtube, I can clearly see the FALD LEDs uniformly in a grid.

As you mentioned, you see these faint black dots with slightly brighter rings. Is this unavoidable due to it being a FALD screen? I just want to know whether I am being overly sensitive now that I have spotted it, or if there are actual P series panels without the visible grid?

I have attached a screencap of a video I took. Not sure if you can tell, but in this pic the LED grid is most noticeable in the middle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181206-090432_Gallery_1544116091534.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	2492654  
post #1313 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 01:00 PM

Cannot get xbox one s and Ps4 to display HDR

Hello everyone ...I read a lot of threads here but never posted an actual Question here :-) Hoping someone can help me out ? (Thanking you for the wonderful posts !!! I learned a lot here)

I have the Vizio P65-F1, Xbox one S and PS4 (base model) - when I connect both my consoles through my Pioneer VSX-531 AVR I don't get HDR for Ps4 games and Xbox one S 4k blu-ray/games.Most of the video features appear in RED on my Xbox one S under Advanced video settings > 4K TV details (ps4 says that my TV is not HDR supported)

Xbox one S and Ps4 ---> Pioneer AVR--> Vizio p65-F1 (ports 1-4 HDMI UHD color enabled) = NO HDR

I am using brand new Syncwire HDMI 2.0 Cables so I know this is not a HDMI cable issue. (I even swapped HDMI cables but no luck). I even tried ports 1-4 on my TV but the same issue persists. Also pioneer AVR supports 4K/60p/4:4:4 HDR and I enabled HDR color on all ports for the AVR

So I connected both Xbox one S and PS4 (base model) to the TV directly and now everything works as expected (ports 1-4). However before we single out the AVR as the culprit here I would like to say that I don't have any issues connecting the same consoles and AVR to my samsung KS8000 (everything works great and I get HDR from my xbox/ps4 on the samsung TV)

Xbox one S and Ps4 ---> Pioneer AVR --> samsung ks8000 TV = HDR works

so I am lost - I think something is wrong with my AVR but then the same AVR works fine with the consoles ( and samsung TV) - what do you all think ? Do you think it has to do with the HDMI handshake between Vizio TV and my pioneer AVR ?

Last edited by rajauknow; 12-06-2018 at 01:06 PM.
post #1314 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyar90 View Post
Guys, I am noticing this exact thing. At first I was excited I had no DSE (like no clouding or thick bands) but then after running the Hockey test and sky-panning test videos on youtube, I can clearly see the FALD LEDs uniformly in a grid.

As you mentioned, you see these faint black dots with slightly brighter rings. Is this unavoidable due to it being a FALD screen? I just want to know whether I am being overly sensitive now that I have spotted it, or if there are actual P series panels without the visible grid?

I have attached a screencap of a video I took. Not sure if you can tell, but in this pic the LED grid is most noticeable in the middle.
Well, it only took me a few hours of testing last night and I just returned my 2nd P55-F1 due to the jail bar issue still being very noticeable to me along with also seeing a very dim but evident 1" white circular ring in the left upper third of the screen. These kind of issues are just not acceptable to me when spending $1000 + on these sets. I was crossing my fingers for a panel lottery win but once again I lost.
post #1315 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe you should try a lower cost unit. Vizio D series or TCL 4 series?
post #1316 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajauknow View Post
Hello everyone ...I read a lot of threads here but never posted an actual Question here :-) Hoping someone can help me out ? (Thanking you for the wonderful posts !!! I learned a lot here)

I have the Vizio P65-F1, Xbox one S and PS4 (base model) - when I connect both my consoles through my Pioneer VSX-531 AVR I don't get HDR for Ps4 games and Xbox one S 4k blu-ray/games.Most of the video features appear in RED on my Xbox one S under Advanced video settings > 4K TV details (ps4 says that my TV is not HDR supported)

Xbox one S and Ps4 ---> Pioneer AVR--> Vizio p65-F1 (ports 1-4 HDMI UHD color enabled) = NO HDR

I am using brand new Syncwire HDMI 2.0 Cables so I know this is not a HDMI cable issue. (I even swapped HDMI cables but no luck). I even tried ports 1-4 on my TV but the same issue persists. Also pioneer AVR supports 4K/60p/4:4:4 HDR and I enabled HDR color on all ports for the AVR

So I connected both Xbox one S and PS4 (base model) to the TV directly and now everything works as expected (ports 1-4). However before we single out the AVR as the culprit here I would like to say that I don't have any issues connecting the same consoles and AVR to my samsung KS8000 (everything works great and I get HDR from my xbox/ps4 on the samsung TV)

so I am lost - I think something is wrong with my AVR but then the same AVR works fine with the consoles ( and samsung TV) - what do you all think ? Do you think it has to do with the HDMI handshake between Vizio TV and my pioneer AVR ?
Is the Syncwire… HDMI premium Certified? most non-certified cables are having issues..
post #1317 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyar90 View Post

I can see very faint 4 circles near the middle.

I might not be able to see that on regular content.

Hard to say unless i can check your unit IRL.
post #1318 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Maybe you should try a lower cost unit. Vizio D series or TCL 4 series?
Wouldn't a lower unit have more issues?

I did get very lucky with a 65S4 and have zero vignette unlike most high end sets I've seen.

Virtually cannot see any DSEs either and my phone camera barely picks up any.

We would be keeping our S4 if it weren't for Soap Opera / Motion Smoothing that cannot be turned off even if the setting is low. It creates a weird judder and blur specially on 30 FPS games (most AAA console games).

You can somewhat mitigate by turning off motion blur in game though but I'm not sure if most games have that option to be turned off.

I'd say the average joe might not care.

Colors and viewing angles will take a noticeable hit going from the P55-F1 to the 65S4.

Our P55 has slight DSE and 1 corner vignetting. Can't believe our TCL had better quality control and a 2 steps down, Series 4.

**** panel lottery and I feel bad that I'm soon to take back the pristine panel uniformity of our 65S4 into the store and will aim for a higher model but 99.99% worse uniformity regardless of brand.
post #1319 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc-zombies View Post
Quote:
Hello everyone ...I read a lot of threads here but never posted an actual Question here 🙂 Hoping someone can help me out ? (Thanking you for the wonderful posts !!! I learned a lot here)

Is the Syncwire… HDMI premium Certified? most non-certified cables are having issues..
Yes, the HDMI cables are premium certified. I do get HDR on my TV if I connect the consoles to my TV directly using the same cables....like I mentioned in my original post the problem only arises when I use my AVR between consoles and the TV
post #1320 of 2838 Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, the HDMI cables are premium certified. I do get HDR on my TV if I connect the consoles to my TV directly using the same cables....like I mentioned in my original post the problem only arises when I use my AVR between consoles and the TV
Have you tried HDMI 5? I’ve read to use this port for a PC connection (XBox)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page