Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 703Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1711 of 3015 Old 01-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post
Yeah it was sort of an eye opening experience for me a couple years ago going from a top of line Panasonic 65" ZT60 model to a 2016 Vizio M65. But with Plasma technology on it's way out and the reason I was changing was because of my experience with Plasma and burn-in, that I figured there would be some sort of adjustment and compromise I'd be going through. My 2016 M65 had a freezing issue, which was intermittent at first but then got worse 9 months into ownership. With a 1-year warranty, of course I reached out to Vizio and they gave me a refurb replacement. The company around here that they contracted to do warranty repair brought me a unit that they didn't even bother to refurb, so I complained to them and tried to see if I could get an upgrade telling them I'd take a refurb P65 from that year. The best they could do was to give me a brand new 2016 M65. The one I got didn't have any freezing problems, but did still have some banding/DSE. So it's great they're giving you a new P75-F1 instead of C1, but that may be a simply a timing thing were they don't have any more new C1s to give you. I'm surprised Sam's club doesn't have 90-day satisfaction guarantee like Costco does.



I still have my 2016 M65 which will be going into my bedroom. I did try the P75-F1, but I've finally decided I didn't want to live with these little glitches and quirks associated with the value TV sector. I know Vizio is trying, but as of now I am off the bandwagon and ended up going with a Sony 75" 900F. Yes it was a chunk of money more, but to me very much worth it as I plan on not upgrading for a while. Don't get me wrong, I do think the 2018 Vizio P is still a great value and great TV, I just figured if I'm not going to upgrade in another 2 years, then I should go for more. Also now with the knowledge that Vizio making M and P lines Quantum Dot, I can see how it would make those who bought the 2018 M and P models feel like they should've waited...
Agreed. We don't know the pricing yet for the 75" PQ or PQX, but yeah, it sucks to be buying the last of the old "model year". I am going to make a push with Sam's Club to give me a full refund or store credit on my current TV before they swap out to the F1. Then I can sit on my hands for a while and just wait for reviews. The goal of this TV was to hop up to 75", at the time, $1,798 for a 75" of P series caliber was crazy, but tech moves quickly. I am a bit salty, but honestly, I'm picking nits, I should just be happy and give it a rest. It did help me make up my mind that I need to get the absolute best TV I can afford when I am in the market next time and don't go for a budget brand.
gocubs418 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1712 of 3015 Old 01-24-2019, 05:15 PM
Member
 
Ario816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus0322 View Post
I see what you are talking about. It seems very minor. Do you notice it from your viewing distance? I had pretty bad artifacts on my Apple TV 4K prior to tvOS 12. That's the reason I had switch to the tvOS 12 beta and it had gotten rid of my issues. It also only seemed to happen on Dolby Vision content as everything else looked flawless. I think this TV struggles with the DV metadata but I'll double check my movies to see if the issue is back. I honestly haven't noticed it since then

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Hey Magnus, where you able to test out any of those scenes I screencapped showing the issue to see if it’s the same in your tv?
Ario816 is offline  
post #1713 of 3015 Old 01-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Senior Member
 
magnus0322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ario816 View Post
Hey Magnus, where you able to test out any of those scenes I screencapped showing the issue to see if it’s the same in your tv?
I checked Apple TV 4K iTunes Pacific Rim 2 and didn't see anything last night. I'll check the others next week when I return from my trip. I was using Calibrated Dark and FALD Medium. Did you factory reset your TV after the latest update?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
magnus0322 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1714 of 3015 Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ario816 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus0322 View Post
I see what you are talking about. It seems very minor. Do you notice it from your viewing distance? I had pretty bad artifacts on my Apple TV 4K prior to tvOS 12. That's the reason I had switch to the tvOS 12 beta and it had gotten rid of my issues. It also only seemed to happen on Dolby Vision content as everything else looked flawless. I think this TV struggles with the DV metadata but I'll double check my movies to see if the issue is back. I honestly haven't noticed it since then

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Hey Magnus, where you able to test out any of those scenes I screencapped showing the issue to see if it’s the same in your tv?
Head on I don’t see it at all I have to stand above the tv at an angle to see “some” purple/blue shades but doesn’t help that the outfits they are wearing are blue pretty sure but no where near as bad as yours....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54A9AC1E-C5C3-4FB5-A65C-533497F59628_1548391220018.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	2515774   Click image for larger version

Name:	2626F970-7163-44E9-8444-A433D3397C7B_1548391233461.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	2515776  
MASKOAA is offline  
post #1715 of 3015 Old 01-24-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
Head on I don’t see it at all I have to stand above the tv at an angle to see “some” purple/blue shades but doesn’t help that the outfits they are wearing are blue pretty sure but no where near as bad as yours....


Being a VA panel I think you are going to be color inaccuracies of angle very easily


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #1716 of 3015 Old 01-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Member
 
Ario816's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
Head on I don’t see it at all I have to stand above the tv at an angle to see “some” purple/blue shades but doesn’t help that the outfits they are wearing are blue pretty sure but no where near as bad as yours....
Interesting. Thanks for checking that out for me. Maybe I’ll try doing a hard reset and making sure I have the latest firmware.

What is the latest firmware people have and how is a hard reset performed again?
Ario816 is offline  
post #1717 of 3015 Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post
Yeah it was sort of an eye opening experience for me a couple years ago going from a top of line Panasonic 65" ZT60 model to a 2016 Vizio M65. But with Plasma technology on it's way out and the reason I was changing was because of my experience with Plasma and burn-in, that I figured there would be some sort of adjustment and compromise I'd be going through. My 2016 M65 had a freezing issue, which was intermittent at first but then got worse 9 months into ownership. With a 1-year warranty, of course I reached out to Vizio and they gave me a refurb replacement. The company around here that they contracted to do warranty repair brought me a unit that they didn't even bother to refurb, so I complained to them and tried to see if I could get an upgrade telling them I'd take a refurb P65 from that year. The best they could do was to give me a brand new 2016 M65. The one I got didn't have any freezing problems, but did still have some banding/DSE. So it's great they're giving you a new P75-F1 instead of C1, but that may be a simply a timing thing were they don't have any more new C1s to give you. I'm surprised Sam's club doesn't have 90-day satisfaction guarantee like Costco does.



I still have my 2016 M65 which will be going into my bedroom. I did try the P75-F1, but I've finally decided I didn't want to live with these little glitches and quirks associated with the value TV sector. I know Vizio is trying, but as of now I am off the bandwagon and ended up going with a Sony 75" 900F. Yes it was a chunk of money more, but to me very much worth it as I plan on not upgrading for a while. Don't get me wrong, I do think the 2018 Vizio P is still a great value and great TV, I just figured if I'm not going to upgrade in another 2 years, then I should go for more. Also now with the knowledge that Vizio making M and P lines Quantum Dot, I can see how it would make those who bought the 2018 M and P models feel like they should've waited...
WOW. I called Sam's Club, spoke to GM, he said "bring it back, your satisfaction is guaranteed, I will take care of you, full refund, no questions asked." I'm wondering if I should have them put it on a Sam's Store Credit or just have them refund my CC. It was so refreshing to hear someone who actually gave a dang about a customer being unhappy with MFG decision.
LCC0256 likes this.
gocubs418 is offline  
post #1718 of 3015 Old 01-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Senior Member
 
ace0001a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
WOW. I called Sam's Club, spoke to GM, he said "bring it back, your satisfaction is guaranteed, I will take care of you, full refund, no questions asked." I'm wondering if I should have them put it on a Sam's Store Credit or just have them refund my CC. It was so refreshing to hear someone who actually gave a dang about a customer being unhappy with MFG decision.

That's excellent! Yeah my train of thought is that Sam's Club should be similar if not the same in terms of customer service as with Costco. When I bought my P75-F1 from Costco, I was assured by their customer service agents I had a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. As I said I would've stuck with it had it been just a tad more refined. By no means am I saying it's a bad TV as I still think it's a great value, great performance to price ratio.
ace0001a is offline  
post #1719 of 3015 Old 01-25-2019, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace0001a View Post
That's excellent! Yeah my train of thought is that Sam's Club should be similar if not the same in terms of customer service as with Costco. When I bought my P75-F1 from Costco, I was assured by their customer service agents I had a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. As I said I would've stuck with it had it been just a tad more refined. By no means am I saying it's a bad TV as I still think it's a great value, great performance to price ratio.
I love Costco, but I think Sam's is really stepping to the plate here so I feel like I owe it to this GM to buy from Sam's again.

Good news is that I have $2,000 to put towards that PQX75
gocubs418 is offline  
post #1720 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 07:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
So while testing the backlight issue I decided to try out some Fireworks.

On the vizio notice the left most firework had a definite Bloom a few inches to the left of it. Also the entire sky blooms around the bursts which happens around 7:30 in the video linked at the bottom.


Here's the same shot on three TCl 6 series


And heres some side by side so you know if not just a different camera setting. This shot doesn't have as aggressive of bloom however if you watch near the end when it's large bursts near the top of the screen you can see the vizio on the right blooming quite a bit. The camera dulls the effect a bit, but in real life it's quite pronounced and eats fine detail in the bright sparkles.


Both TV In their respected default hdr/calibrated settings local dimming high on TCL and medium in vizio

Here's the video

Interestingly also I could not get the shadow detail in the vizio the TCL does. Three TCL gave a strong sense of depth due to its sharp shadow and reflection detail in the water. I think the Vizio lost this a bit due to its aggressive local brightening.

Btw I'm not some TCL shill just sharing what I find. It would really suit me to have the n Vizio be better honestly.
Are both your TCL and Vizio the same size?

I find this interesting because I went through 3 TCL R615’s before settling on my Vizio P55 F1. One of my biggest gripes with the TCL was the blooming. While watching letterbox films, the black bars would bloom and light up as if being hit with a flashlight. It was this way with all 3 TCL sets I tried.

My Vizio doesn’t have this issue, in fact I never notice any blooming at all with my P55. It’s actually my favorite thing about this set. Even while ending credits are scrolling across the screen I see no blooming, only a strobing effect.

Weird how our two experiences are exact opposite of each other!
Brink Bodin is offline  
post #1721 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
Are both your TCL and Vizio the same size?

I find this interesting because I went through 3 TCL R615’s before settling on my Vizio P55 F1. One of my biggest gripes with the TCL was the blooming. While watching letterbox films, the black bars would bloom and light up as if being hit with a flashlight. It was this way with all 3 TCL sets I tried.

My Vizio doesn’t have this issue, in fact I never notice any blooming at all with my P55. It’s actually my favorite thing about this set. Even while ending credits are scrolling across the screen I see no blooming, only a strobing effect.

Weird how our two experiences are exact opposite of each other!


Yes both 65.

That's interesting because I originally got the vizio because if exactly what you say. On some movies the blank bars would go gray on the TCL. But it turns out it happens on the vizio also.

It does sound like the vizio 65 is the one with the issue... I'm guessing they cranked up the aggressiveness of the local dimming with the extra zones and it was a mistake.

Glow has been highlighting the issue for me lately. Episode 7 when the ladies were wrestling last night is plagued with crazy amounts of Bloom and backlight crawl and just downright weird flashing bright and dark all over.

I'll try to capture video of it today but if you have Netflix give it a shot on your 55 age see if it doesn't do it..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander

Last edited by Devedander; 01-26-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Devedander is offline  
post #1722 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Member
 
MacInFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Local Dimming Anomolies - Subtitles / closed caption

Please excuse if this specific question has been asked previously regarding local dimming. This subject seems to surface a lot! Is the local dimming erratic when using subtitle / closed caption?


I'm considering upgrading from an M70-C1 to either a P65 or P75. I am hearing impaired so make extensive use of subtitle / closed caption when available. I deactivated the local dimming feature on my M70 because the dimming feature was erratic and unpredictable, especially if the source had closed caption enabled. Was this ever resolved?


Setting aside the closed captioning question, do most of you use the local dimming feature or is it just a great idea that is poorly executed?


Thanks!
MacInFL is offline  
post #1723 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInFL View Post
Please excuse if this specific question has been asked previously regarding local dimming. This subject seems to surface a lot! Is the local dimming erratic when using subtitle / closed caption?


I'm considering upgrading from an M70-C1 to either a P65 or P75. I am hearing impaired so make extensive use of subtitle / closed caption when available. I deactivated the local dimming feature on my M70 because the dimming feature was erratic and unpredictable, especially if the source had closed caption enabled. Was this ever resolved?


Setting aside the closed captioning question, do most of you use the local dimming feature or is it just a great idea that is poorly executed?


Thanks!


I haven't found the effect with captions to be very bad

A little blooming and a little screen brightening. Might be very offensive to some though


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #1724 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
Are both your TCL and Vizio the same size?

I find this interesting because I went through 3 TCL R615’s before settling on my Vizio P55 F1. One of my biggest gripes with the TCL was the blooming. While watching letterbox films, the black bars would bloom and light up as if being hit with a flashlight. It was this way with all 3 TCL sets I tried.

My Vizio doesn’t have this issue, in fact I never notice any blooming at all with my P55. It’s actually my favorite thing about this set. Even while ending credits are scrolling across the screen I see no blooming, only a strobing effect.

Weird how our two experiences are exact opposite of each other!


Yes both 65.

That's interesting because I originally got the vizio because if exactly what you say. On some movies the blank bars would go gray on the TCL. But it turns out it happens on the vizio also.

It does sound like the vizio 65 is the one with the issue... I'm guessing they cranked up the aggressiveness of the local dimming with the extra zones and it was a mistake.

Glow has been highlighting the issue for me lately. Episode 8 last night is plagued with crazy amounts of Bloom and backlight crawl and just downright weird flashing bright and dark all over.

I'll try to capture video of it today but if you have Netflix give it a shot on your 55 age see if it doesn't do it..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah I 100% get backlight crawl. Happens during dimly lit scenes when I’m watching HDR content with local dimming. When I’m watching SDR with local dimming set to low, I never see it. Don’t remember seeing backlight crawl on the TCL, but I remember the flickering of edges during paning scenes was atrocious. Especially city scapes where the outlines and windows of buildings would flicker violently. The flicker is still there on the Vizio but not as bad. I assume it’s because the Vizio is 120hz native while the TCL was 60hz.
galonzo likes this.
Brink Bodin is offline  
post #1725 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
Oh yeah I 100% get backlight crawl. Happens during dimly lit scenes when I’m watching HDR content with local dimming. When I’m watching SDR with local dimming set to low, I never see it. Don’t remember seeing backlight crawl on the TCL, but I remember the flickering of edges during paning scenes was atrocious. Especially city scapes where the outlines and windows of buildings would flicker violently. The flicker is still there on the Vizio but not as bad. I assume it’s because the Vizio is 120hz native while the TCL was 60hz.


Interesting I've seen flickering on both the TCL and Vizio that was pretty bad as fine textures panned. I noticed on a 1080 test pattern with alternating black and white lines that the vizio did not resolve the pixels properly. Ill try to find it.

As for backlight crawl I think on the vizio is horrendous in exactly the scenes you say but even with low and see I still see it quite a bit. Thing is I bought this tv to highlight HDR content so the fact the failing is mostly there is really unfortunate.

I think glow in Netflix must have been shot in such with making the Vizio fald look bad as it's main intent!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #1726 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 11:51 AM
Member
 
MacInFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the info.


Reading back thru my post, it was slightly incorrect. My current set is the M70-C3.


Curious, would you consider the P65 / P75 meaningful upgrade in PQ? I've been wanting the P75 but price is still up there. BestBuy running a sale right now on the P65 which is enticing.
MacInFL is offline  
post #1727 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
Oh yeah I 100% get backlight crawl. Happens during dimly lit scenes when I’m watching HDR content with local dimming. When I’m watching SDR with local dimming set to low, I never see it. Don’t remember seeing backlight crawl on the TCL, but I remember the flickering of edges during paning scenes was atrocious. Especially city scapes where the outlines and windows of buildings would flicker violently. The flicker is still there on the Vizio but not as bad. I assume it’s because the Vizio is 120hz native while the TCL was 60hz.


Interesting I've seen flickering on both the TCL and Vizio that was pretty bad as fine textures panned. I noticed on a 1080 test pattern with alternating black and white lines that the vizio did not resolve the pixels properly. Ill try to find it.

As for backlight crawl I think on the vizio is horrendous in exactly the scenes you say but even with low and see I still see it quite a bit. Thing is I bought this tv to highlight HDR content so the fact the failing is mostly there is really unfortunate.

I think glow in Netflix must have been shot in such with making the Vizio fald look bad as it's main intent!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is your sharpness set to 0 it’ll help on the fine edges.... I had it at 20 until I loaded up TEST PATTERNS on Netflix and on the pattern I dropped it from 20 to 0 and 20 adds a lot of over sharpening to fine details. The Netflix test patterns will tell you what resolution they are running in the top right corner... the 4k ones say 1080p for a second then adjust to 1440 then 4k and it adjust the information so you know they also have 1080p pattens it’ll shock you how much it changes with 20 sharpness.
galonzo likes this.
MASKOAA is offline  
post #1728 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 08:04 PM
Member
 
MysticalOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
http://blog.vizio.com/post/182304237...proud-to-share

Can sign up for beta to try and get invite for airplay 2.
MysticalOS is offline  
post #1729 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalOS View Post
http://blog.vizio.com/post/182304237...proud-to-share

Can sign up for beta to try and get invite for airplay 2.
Id love to have more details like will we have access to 4k HDR ITunes or will it be limited to 1080p.....I ask that bc YouTube is limited when casting for me if it’s HDR it’s only 1080p.
MASKOAA is offline  
post #1730 of 3015 Old 01-26-2019, 09:44 PM
Member
 
Jedi54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
Low for SDR content and then it defaults to medium for HDR. Seems to be the most accurate.
question on this: will the TV automatically change the setting when 4k / HDR content is being played?
ie; if I go from DirecTV (1080i) to Amazon Prime Ultra HD, will it change?

sorry for the no0b question.
Jedi54 is offline  
post #1731 of 3015 Old 01-27-2019, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
Low for SDR content and then it defaults to medium for HDR. Seems to be the most accurate.
question on this: will the TV automatically change the setting when 4k / HDR content is being played?
ie; if I go from DirecTV (1080i) to Amazon Prime Ultra HD, will it change?

sorry for the no0b question.
Yea if you actually look at your picture adjust youll see it say Dolby or HDR10 and at the top of the screen alittlr notification pops up when it happens too.
LCC0256 and Jedi54 like this.
MASKOAA is offline  
post #1732 of 3015 Old 01-27-2019, 11:50 AM
Newbie
 
Rescue Toaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone else seen the occasional horizontal line flash issue on a PXX-F1 series vizio? This little video shows a single one:

What tends to happen on my P55-F1 TV is after being on for a few hours, starts flashing random horizontal lines every few seconds (not in the same spot), until power cycled. Then is fine, possibly for days/a week or more. Has happened once on an HDMI input, and twice on internal apps. Since the power cycle fixes it immediately it doesn't seem like it's heat related, though so far it hasn't happened unless it's been on for a while. No noise or backlight issues related to it seemingly. It's winter and extremely dry so I guess in theory some kind of static issue. TV's only a few months old now.
Rescue Toaster is offline  
post #1733 of 3015 Old 01-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are we able to add apps onto the P65-F1...if so, how?
Michael Puls is offline  
post #1734 of 3015 Old 01-27-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 808
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Puls View Post
Are we able to add apps onto the P65-F1...if so, how?
No but it has chrome cast built in for instance I can’t open twitch but I can cast it
MASKOAA is offline  
post #1735 of 3015 Old 01-28-2019, 06:26 AM
Member
 
DSF767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So new P65 owner here, got it up last night and was watching TV with the wife, first thing we turned on was something with Dolby Vision (Chef's Table) and it looked awesome, TV was still on the default Vivid mode, Then we decided to check out how older content would look so just turned on the office real quick and it looked like crap (because the TV was still in default Vivid mode). Went over and started looking at the calibration thread and changed it to calibrated dark and made the tweaks suggested. It made the older Office content look much better and natural however my wife commented on how Dim the TV looked after first watching the TV on vivid. So we went back to Chefs table and I thought it looked good but then quickly changed it back to vivid and my wife still preferred that picture (even though I know its unnatural and over saturated). What have you guys done in this situation, I am sure I will be watching most of the time in the calibrated dark mode but I am sure she will prefer watching it in Vivid (I at least turned off some of the setting on Vivid like the Sharpness, and some thing like Judder Reduction, Clear Action, Reduce Signal Noise, Reduce Block Noise, Black Detail, Etc... so its better then nothing on that mode but its hard convincing the wife to watch the TV the right way haha.
DSF767 is offline  
post #1736 of 3015 Old 01-28-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,799
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Puls View Post
Are we able to add apps onto the P65-F1...if so, how?

I was intending to ask the same question. I'm a brand new P65-F1 owner and was disappointed to see that UFC was not on the app list. I briefly tried casting and the quality was poor. Contacted Vizio and customer service was impressively quick to answer but they said the only option was "casting" but that they are always reviewing additional apps for inclusion on the standard list.


One other question for users. This is my first ever LCD television and I would like to do some minor calibration soon using Calman. Does an LCD set require some minimum break-in hours to "settle in" ?


Also, what is the consensus on gamma ? I tried 2.4 per recommendation from Home Theater and HiFi and found that it is too dark and appears to crush black as well as over-saturate some colors, particularly red. I've settled on 2.2 for now.

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #1737 of 3015 Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 AM
Member
 
imno007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 128
This has probably been posted somewhere else on the forums already, but for anyone curious as to why your Vizio TVs can be had for so cheap....


https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/7/18...ecast-ces-2019
galonzo likes this.
imno007 is offline  
post #1738 of 3015 Old 01-28-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,438
Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 2110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF767 View Post
So new P65 owner here, got it up last night and was watching TV with the wife, first thing we turned on was something with Dolby Vision (Chef's Table) and it looked awesome, TV was still on the default Vivid mode, Then we decided to check out how older content would look so just turned on the office real quick and it looked like crap (because the TV was still in default Vivid mode). Went over and started looking at the calibration thread and changed it to calibrated dark and made the tweaks suggested. It made the older Office content look much better and natural however my wife commented on how Dim the TV looked after first watching the TV on vivid. So we went back to Chefs table and I thought it looked good but then quickly changed it back to vivid and my wife still preferred that picture (even though I know its unnatural and over saturated). What have you guys done in this situation, I am sure I will be watching most of the time in the calibrated dark mode but I am sure she will prefer watching it in Vivid (I at least turned off some of the setting on Vivid like the Sharpness, and some thing like Judder Reduction, Clear Action, Reduce Signal Noise, Reduce Block Noise, Black Detail, Etc... so its better then nothing on that mode but its hard convincing the wife to watch the TV the right way haha.
I just convinced the wife that the "correct" settings are as close to Hollywood standards as we're going to get, and to just give it a chance for about a week, which she did get used to (of course, I immediately knew to go to Calibrated Dark to begin with in our near-pitch-black room, however she did get a glimpse of Vivid on another input ; plus we're coming from a plasma, so the blacker black bars helps a lot )

Main: XBR-85X950H | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | 2019 Shield | PS4 Pro | Roku P+ (4630) | CCU
2nd: XBR-65X950G | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | TiVo Mini | ATV (4thGen)
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Star Wars Saga ('77 - '19) and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #1739 of 3015 Old 01-28-2019, 03:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys, just got myself a P65-F1 with the sale going on right now. I too am encountering the bluish/purple blacks during Dolby Vision content. This is with the built-in apps as well as my Firestick 4k. If I play the same content in HDR10 on my Xbox one S, the issue is not present. Are all Vizio P series' inflicted with this issue, or is it worth trying an exchange? This is Black Mirror season 4 episode "Crocodile":
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibrated-mode.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	784.1 KB
ID:	2517568  
HugWolf is offline  
post #1740 of 3015 Old 01-28-2019, 06:24 PM
Member
 
bd5400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF767 View Post
So new P65 owner here, got it up last night and was watching TV with the wife, first thing we turned on was something with Dolby Vision (Chef's Table) and it looked awesome, TV was still on the default Vivid mode, Then we decided to check out how older content would look so just turned on the office real quick and it looked like crap (because the TV was still in default Vivid mode). Went over and started looking at the calibration thread and changed it to calibrated dark and made the tweaks suggested. It made the older Office content look much better and natural however my wife commented on how Dim the TV looked after first watching the TV on vivid. So we went back to Chefs table and I thought it looked good but then quickly changed it back to vivid and my wife still preferred that picture (even though I know its unnatural and over saturated). What have you guys done in this situation, I am sure I will be watching most of the time in the calibrated dark mode but I am sure she will prefer watching it in Vivid (I at least turned off some of the setting on Vivid like the Sharpness, and some thing like Judder Reduction, Clear Action, Reduce Signal Noise, Reduce Block Noise, Black Detail, Etc... so its better then nothing on that mode but its hard convincing the wife to watch the TV the right way haha.
If the dimness is the primary issue, why not use "Calibrated" which has a brighter backlight setting than "Calibrated Dark"? You can also try adjusting the backlight a bit higher in "Calibrated" if its still too dim. It's going to be a better compromise with picture quality compared to using "Vivid".
galonzo likes this.
bd5400 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off