Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 667Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1741 of 2838 Old 01-28-2019, 06:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Flynnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Would you order again? Or what would you get in the same $ range?
Flynnr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1742 of 2838 Old 01-28-2019, 07:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just purchased the Vizio P65-f1 from costco but haven't taken the time to set it up yet.

After reading about the defects experienced by some the people in this thread, and then learning about the new Vizio lineup for 2019, I'm wondering if I should return the TV and wait to get a 2019?

I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade, eventhough I'm currently watching an outdated 720p plasma.
dan beauch is offline  
post #1743 of 2838 Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF767 View Post
So new P65 owner here, got it up last night and was watching TV with the wife, first thing we turned on was something with Dolby Vision (Chef's Table) and it looked awesome, TV was still on the default Vivid mode, Then we decided to check out how older content would look so just turned on the office real quick and it looked like crap (because the TV was still in default Vivid mode). Went over and started looking at the calibration thread and changed it to calibrated dark and made the tweaks suggested. It made the older Office content look much better and natural however my wife commented on how Dim the TV looked after first watching the TV on vivid. So we went back to Chefs table and I thought it looked good but then quickly changed it back to vivid and my wife still preferred that picture (even though I know its unnatural and over saturated). What have you guys done in this situation, I am sure I will be watching most of the time in the calibrated dark mode but I am sure she will prefer watching it in Vivid (I at least turned off some of the setting on Vivid like the Sharpness, and some thing like Judder Reduction, Clear Action, Reduce Signal Noise, Reduce Block Noise, Black Detail, Etc... so its better then nothing on that mode but its hard convincing the wife to watch the TV the right way haha.

That's odd. I've only had my p65 running for a month and from my experience switching to Vivid while watching HDR or Dolby Vision content has little overall effect. The changes I can see comes from Vivid using a the "COOL" color profile.
karelj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1744 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 01:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

So in further testing I found that the vizio does not go completely blank in Black areas even with local dimming on medium.

I tested with several space and fireworks videos in a darkened room and then a pure black screen and noted the backlight is always on to some extent.

The TCL 6 series seems to shut off the backlight entirely in dark areas and when the full screen was black the entire tv looked off even on a darkened room with no lights...

I have to think this messes with contrast ratio and I think it's what prevents the p65 f1 from getting that looking through a window 3d effect


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #1745 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
So in further testing I found that the vizio does not go completely blank in Black areas even with local dimming on medium.

I tested with several space and fireworks videos in a darkened room and then a pure black screen and noted the backlight is always on to some extent.

The TCL 6 series seems to shut off the backlight entirely in dark areas and when the full screen was black the entire tv looked off even on a darkened room with no lights...

I have to think this messes with contrast ratio and I think it's what prevents the p65 f1 from getting that looking through a window 3d effect


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HDR or SDR bc in a dark room you should be using low for full array with SDR mine goes completely black for SDR I’ll have to double check for HDR

Last edited by MASKOAA; 01-29-2019 at 02:06 AM.
MASKOAA is offline  
post #1746 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 05:53 AM
Member
 
Mingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by karelj View Post
That's odd. I've only had my p65 running for a month and from my experience switching to Vivid while watching HDR or Dolby Vision content has little overall effect. The changes I can see comes from Vivid using a the "COOL" color profile.


Under Vivid, you should be able to see a visual difference in skin tones. A normal Caucasian skin tone would become saturated to the point of turning yellow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mingo is offline  
post #1747 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 07:04 AM
Member
 
DSF767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd5400 View Post
If the dimness is the primary issue, why not use "Calibrated" which has a brighter backlight setting than "Calibrated Dark"? You can also try adjusting the backlight a bit higher in "Calibrated" if its still too dim. It's going to be a better compromise with picture quality compared to using "Vivid".
That's exactly what I ended up doing, also swapped it to the cool profile instead of normal because she liked it but at least the color is turned way down so its a decent compromise and makes everything look alot better.
DSF767 is offline  
post #1748 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ffactoryxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Two Questions. Setup my 2018 P75 and previously had a 2017 model.

Does the 2018 Model do HDR Youtube? I know the previous year did not.

Is there a way to install PSVue on this TV for streaming cable?
ffactoryxx is offline  
post #1749 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,097
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
@ffactoryxx , Yes to HDR on YT, not sure about PSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugWolf View Post
Hey guys, just got myself a P65-F1 with the sale going on right now. I too am encountering the bluish/purple blacks during Dolby Vision content. This is with the built-in apps as well as my Firestick 4k. If I play the same content in HDR10 on my Xbox one S, the issue is not present. Are all Vizio P series' inflicted with this issue, or is it worth trying an exchange? This is Black Mirror season 4 episode "Crocodile":
Welcome! I got the same thing on that scene from the TV app, as well as from the Apple TV 4K in DV, but not in HDR from my Roku P+. It's possible that it may be in the source material, so you might try one of the higher-end Sony threads and see if anyone there is seeing the same thing (the X900F is a higher-end FALD LED, or the older Z9D).

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
post #1750 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
HDR or SDR bc in a dark room you should be using low for full array with SDR mine goes completely black for SDR I’ll have to double check for HDR


I couldn't find a completely black test pattern in HDR however the difference between low and medium hdr is low only dims the backlight and medium dims and peaks the brights.

So both operate the same in all black.

I did test on several scenes with star fields and space shots and it was definitely the case that the vizio did not get as black.

This might be where people get purple blacks because at low brightness gray is going to have the most notable color bleed.

I tried to photograph the result but the iPhone can't capture it. I might try with my camera later.

But to test turn off all the lights in the room so it's pitch black. Load a black test pattern.

If you can see a dim Gray rectangle of a screen it didn't go black


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #1751 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 09:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
So in further testing I found that the vizio does not go completely blank in Black areas even with local dimming on medium.

I tested with several space and fireworks videos in a darkened room and then a pure black screen and noted the backlight is always on to some extent.

The TCL 6 series seems to shut off the backlight entirely in dark areas and when the full screen was black the entire tv looked off even on a darkened room with no lights...

I have to think this messes with contrast ratio and I think it's what prevents the p65 f1 from getting that looking through a window 3d effect

I have noticed this as well. I've had some time with the Sony x900f as well as the TCL 6, and both of these go to fully black with zero backlight.

I was under the impression that Vizio kept it's backlight always on to reduce visible blooming.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[QUOTE=galonzo;57517846] @ffactoryxx , Yes to HDR on YT, not sure about PSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugWolf View Post
Hey guys, just got myself a P65-F1 with the sale going on right now. I too am encountering the bluish/purple blacks during Dolby Vision content. This is with the built-in apps as well as my Firestick 4k. If I play the same content in HDR10 on my Xbox one S, the issue is not

Welcome! I got the same thing on that scene from the TV app, as well as from the Apple TV 4K in DV, but not in HDR from my Roku P+. It's possible that it may be in the source material, so you might try one of the higher-end Sony threads and see if anyone there is seeing the same thing (the X900F is a higher-end FALD LED, or the older Z9D).
I actually have a 2017 TCL P605, I've had and returned a 6 series, and I have an x900f in my family room. None of the other TVs have shown any of this blue/purple DV behavior. It's a shame because DV is one of the main reasons I got this TV over a few competitors.
galonzo likes this.
HugWolf is offline  
post #1752 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karelj View Post
That's odd. I've only had my p65 running for a month and from my experience switching to Vivid while watching HDR or Dolby Vision content has little overall effect. The changes I can see comes from Vivid using a the "COOL" color profile.


Under Vivid, you should be able to see a visual difference in skin tones. A normal Caucasian skin tone would become saturated to the point of turning yellow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The skin tone thing won’t be as noticeable in HDR bc there’s more color data..., like if you compare the same movie hdr to SDR vivid in both its a lot different when it comes to skin tone.
MASKOAA is offline  
post #1753 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
lifesun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF767 View Post
That's exactly what I ended up doing, also swapped it to the cool profile instead of normal because she liked it but at least the color is turned way down so its a decent compromise and makes everything look alot better.
I have had the P65 for several months now and have been pretty happy overall except with HDR until recently. HDR via built in apps, or via my Samsung 4k player with UHD discs was always too dim for me, even in an almost completely dark room. I think that part of the issue is that during the day our living room is well lit, so I have been using calibrated mode which has the backlight at 85. Watch cable in SDR, backlight 85, standard bluray, 85, etc. At night, never changed anything, left it at 85. Then when watching a HDR disc with the backlight at 50 it just seemed underwhelming, even my wife made a comment about the difference in "pop" and how she preferred standard bluray discs. I kept reading that adjusting the backlight in HDR adjusted the EOTF curve and that changing it would cause everything to get out of wack, so didn't touch it for months. Then recently while re-reading reviews on both Rtings and CNET I found mention that the EOTF curve doesn't change too much if you max the backlight to 100 in HDR as the entire image just gets brighter. So, I tried that and am finally impressed with HDR! Skin tones, color, etc. all look fine to me, I am not too particular but can easily spot incorrect settings for color, tint, etc. Just figured I would throw that out there in case others are experiencing the same thing, as it really made a difference for me.
lifesun is offline  
post #1754 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Member
 
DSF767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post
I have had the P65 for several months now and have been pretty happy overall except with HDR until recently. HDR via built in apps, or via my Samsung 4k player with UHD discs was always too dim for me, even in an almost completely dark room. I think that part of the issue is that during the day our living room is well lit, so I have been using calibrated mode which has the backlight at 85. Watch cable in SDR, backlight 85, standard bluray, 85, etc. At night, never changed anything, left it at 85. Then when watching a HDR disc with the backlight at 50 it just seemed underwhelming, even my wife made a comment about the difference in "pop" and how she preferred standard bluray discs. I kept reading that adjusting the backlight in HDR adjusted the EOTF curve and that changing it would cause everything to get out of wack, so didn't touch it for months. Then recently while re-reading reviews on both Rtings and CNET I found mention that the EOTF curve doesn't change too much if you max the backlight to 100 in HDR as the entire image just gets brighter. So, I tried that and am finally impressed with HDR! Skin tones, color, etc. all look fine to me, I am not too particular but can easily spot incorrect settings for color, tint, etc. Just figured I would throw that out there in case others are experiencing the same thing, as it really made a difference for me.
So you can control the HDR backlight separate from the main backlight settings? Where do you go in the settings to do this I would be very interested to make the same settings tweak.
DSF767 is offline  
post #1755 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF767 View Post
So you can control the HDR backlight separate from the main backlight settings? Where do you go in the settings to do this I would be very interested to make the same settings tweak.


There is only one backlight setting. Your can control it for each type of input though.

So when playing HDR content you can go into settings and crank up the backlight and it will not affect the backlight for when non HDR is displaying


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #1756 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Member
 
DSF767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
There is only one backlight setting. Your can control it for each type of input though.

So when playing HDR content you can go into settings and crank up the backlight and it will not affect the backlight for when non HDR is displaying


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if I understand right when you are playing something on Netflix HDR it dynamically changes your picture mode top some sort of HDR mode? So say if I normally run the set in calibrated setting with the backlight set to 65 if when I start watching HDR I crack it up to 100 when I go back to non HDR content it will drop the backlight down to the 65 setting? Sorry if this is a dumb question I am new to FLAD TV's coming from an old Plasma so lots of new stuff to catch up on haha
DSF767 is offline  
post #1757 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF767 View Post
So if I understand right when you are playing something on Netflix HDR it dynamically changes your picture mode top some sort of HDR mode? So say if I normally run the set in calibrated setting with the backlight set to 65 if when I start watching HDR I crack it up to 100 when I go back to non HDR content it will drop the backlight down to the 65 setting? Sorry if this is a dumb question I am new to FLAD TV's coming from an old Plasma so lots of new stuff to catch up on haha


Yes every preset you make/edit only applies to the type on content you were playing when you edit it.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #1758 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
lifesun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
Yes every preset you make/edit only applies to the type on content you were playing when you edit it.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just to clarify, if you are watching Netflix for example in SDR calibrated mode, then change to HDR content the preset will change to "HDR calibrated" and some settings are specific to that mode such as the backlight setting that I tweaked.......however, at least on my set this HDR mode is not completely unique, most settings apply to the SDR and HDR preset you are using, in my case calibrated. For example, I had initially tried changing gamma, contrast, etc. to tweak when in HDR mode......but all those settings remained when switching back to SDR and messed up that preset....lol. But the HDR/SDR backlight settings are unique, in fact the default setting for calibrated is 85 in SDR, but changes to 50 in HDR.....
lifesun is offline  
post #1759 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post
Just to clarify, if you are watching Netflix for example in SDR calibrated mode, then change to HDR content the preset will change to "HDR calibrated" and some settings are specific to that mode such as the backlight setting that I tweaked.......however, at least on my set this HDR mode is not completely unique, most settings apply to the SDR and HDR preset you are using, in my case calibrated. For example, I had initially tried changing gamma, contrast, etc. to tweak when in HDR mode......but all those settings remained when switching back to SDR and messed up that preset....lol. But the HDR/SDR backlight settings are unique, in fact the default setting for calibrated is 85 in SDR, but changes to 50 in HDR.....


This is good to know. Thanks for the clarification.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #1760 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
As far as I’m aware there isn’t really a standard when it comes to HDR like there is with SDR at least I could of swore Vincent from HDTVTest said that.....
MASKOAA is offline  
post #1761 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 AM
Member
 
DSF767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post
Just to clarify, if you are watching Netflix for example in SDR calibrated mode, then change to HDR content the preset will change to "HDR calibrated" and some settings are specific to that mode such as the backlight setting that I tweaked.......however, at least on my set this HDR mode is not completely unique, most settings apply to the SDR and HDR preset you are using, in my case calibrated. For example, I had initially tried changing gamma, contrast, etc. to tweak when in HDR mode......but all those settings remained when switching back to SDR and messed up that preset....lol. But the HDR/SDR backlight settings are unique, in fact the default setting for calibrated is 85 in SDR, but changes to 50 in HDR.....
Awesome, that is really good information to have. So you changed your backlight all the way to 100 in HDR calibrated?
DSF767 is offline  
post #1762 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
lifesun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF767 View Post
Awesome, that is really good information to have. So you changed your backlight all the way to 100 in HDR calibrated?
Correct, changed from the default 50 to 100 on the backlight while in HDR mode, happy with the results so far. The picture is pretty bright, however I don't notice any major color shift, skin tone, etc. from the 50 setting, and although really bright its much better than the dim image I was seeing with the default at 50. My UHD blurays actually look better now than the standard bluray discs I was comparing to.
lifesun is offline  
post #1763 of 2838 Old 01-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Realistically, how long are they going to make us wait for details on the Quantum X?
gocubs418 is offline  
post #1764 of 2838 Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ffactoryxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Is there a way to group this Chromecast enabled TV to the rest of my Google home devices so if I want to play in the whole house I can

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
ffactoryxx is offline  
post #1765 of 2838 Old 01-30-2019, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
nclou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue Toaster View Post
Has anyone else seen the occasional horizontal line flash issue on a PXX-F1 series vizio? This little video shows a single one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDmTyIc0lnU

What tends to happen on my P55-F1 TV is after being on for a few hours, starts flashing random horizontal lines every few seconds (not in the same spot), until power cycled. Then is fine, possibly for days/a week or more. Has happened once on an HDMI input, and twice on internal apps. Since the power cycle fixes it immediately it doesn't seem like it's heat related, though so far it hasn't happened unless it's been on for a while. No noise or backlight issues related to it seemingly. It's winter and extremely dry so I guess in theory some kind of static issue. TV's only a few months old now.

Yeah, I get these. So far, a restart (soft power cycle in the menu) always resolves it, sometimes go weeks at a time without them. I think I went about two months without seeing them last, and then a couple nights ago they were the worst ever...all over the screen non-stop...but a restart and they're gone. It's annoying, and shouldn't be something that happens, but it's also not too inconvenient for me given how infrequently I get them.
galonzo likes this.
nclou is offline  
post #1766 of 2838 Old 01-30-2019, 01:36 PM
Senior Member
 
nclou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ario816 View Post
It’s more apparent when watching tv at night. I think these pictures undersell the issue honestly as the iPhone camera is limited in what it can capture. I’ve noticed it on the Apple TV and on the tvs own player apps so I know it’s not an HDMI cable or anything like that plus I’m watching it on Calibrated Dark so it’s not a picture setting that I messed up.

It’s only happened so far with DV source material and not all DV source material so for now it’s not a huge issue but it is still an annoying issue when it does pop up. Curious to see if you can recreate it.

Just to mention, this is still an issue for me. Equalizer 2 was the worst for me...I posted screen caps several pages ago. But it's not everything in DV, so it really feels like something wrong with resolving picture data, right? And so it should be fixable, frustrating it hasn't been.
nclou is offline  
post #1767 of 2838 Old 01-30-2019, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Tighe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Augusta, ME
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a non 4K passthrough Marantz SR6006 receiver. Which means I'll have to connect my Win10 PC directly to the tv to game in 4K/HDR. I know this tv will passthrough 5.1 DD via HDMI ARC. But my question is, will it passthrough the 5.1 from my PC/RTX gpu via HDMI to my receiver? Not certain if the signal is DD.
Tighe is offline  
post #1768 of 2838 Old 01-30-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I have to backtrack on my comment that 2.4 gamma doesn't look right (for SDR). I think the key is that the backlight needs to be set at 25 or higher when using 2.4 for gamma. I'm using this now for night time viewing with backlight at 30 and "active full array" on Low. Colors look fairly natural and black detail is good. I think these settings are close to what CNET recommended and I prefer their settings to the Rtings or Home Theater & HiFi recommendations. In a week or two, I will pull out Calman and see what improvements I can get from tweaking 2pt grayscale and perhaps the CMS.
galonzo likes this.

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #1769 of 2838 Old 01-30-2019, 05:28 PM
Newbie
 
sn0w420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I had a weird issue last night with my roughly 2 month old P55-F1...

While watching some content on my PC, the TV randomly shut off and began an endless reboot loop. I disconnected the power and everything else, booted it back up into the built in SmartCast. After a few minutes, same behaviour. It didn't seem to happen if I had an unconnected input selected.

Anyway I tried unplugging it for 10-15 mins with no improvement. Plugged it back in and the endless rebooting went on for almost an hour. I did some reading on my phone, and after having decided that I would have to get it replaced, I contacted Costco via email to initiate a return since I had bought online and it was still under the 90 days, and placed a new order for a replacement tv since its on sale for like 70$ less right now than I paid around black Friday.

Now like an hour later, after leaving it on and rebooting constantly, it seems to be working like normal again.

Pretty confused... I thought for sure the TV was dead.

I'm guessing I should probably continue with the return and rebuy at this point but thought I'd share my experience here in case anyone has anyone has any suggestions or is interested to hear about my experience.

Otherwise TV seemed pretty good, normal slightly dimmed corners, maybe some very slight banding but difficult to notice although I haven't looked super closely, and there appeared to be a smallish area of DSE but not super noticeable to me personally.

Not sure if related, but for a while I have been noticing like a slight colour shift on the left hand side of the screen only, for maybe a half second when viewing content from my PC.

So yeah, with both of those issues i'm guessing maybe replacement is probably best here...? Just worried a bit about having to play the panel lottery and possibly getting an even worse panel, and dealing with the hassles of setting up a return and delivery again...
galonzo likes this.
sn0w420 is offline  
post #1770 of 2838 Old 01-30-2019, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Does anyone else notice color desaturate more towards the outer edges during hdr video? It won’t be noticeable on all content.
MASKOAA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off