Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 667Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1951 of 2837 Old 02-22-2019, 08:14 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Resolution & "Full UHD Color"

I've had my P75-F1 for about a month now and there are two things that are driving me crazy that I hope you all can help me with.

First, the picture quality for cable is garbage. I don't expect it to be 4k, but it should at least be on par with my 6 year old plasma (which it is not even close to), otherwise, what's the point? I'd rather have a 1080p tv that displays quality cable than the added quality I can only get if the signal is 4k. I've done some calibration using the rtings.com settings, but it doesn't seem to help. My set up is this: Xfinity X1 DVR -> Denon AVR-X4400H -> Vizio P75-F1. I haven't tried going straight from the cable box to the tv yet because it's a bit of a hassle given my set up and it's my understanding that this Denon receiver does a good job upscaling. Can anyone give me some guidance on getting the best picture quality with this setup? Are all 4k tvs going to look worse than my 1080p plasma when displaying cable signals?

Second, I recently purchased a Sony UBP-X700 4k blu-ray player. While trying to watch a movie, the screen kept flashing to black at random intervals. I played with a bunch of settings on the player thinking that had to be the source of the problem since I don't have that problem watching things through the cable box. It wasn't until I turned off "Full UHD Color" for the input on the TV that the flashing stopped. So it appears I can't have "Full UHD Color" set to "on" on the tv and use a UHD capable 4k player. What am I missing? My setup is: Sony UBP-X700 -> Denon AVR-X4400H -> Vizio P75-F1.

TIA
Darious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1952 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 02:04 AM
Member
 
gregka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darious View Post
I've had my P75-F1 for about a month now and there are two things that are driving me crazy that I hope you all can help me with.

First, the picture quality for cable is garbage. I don't expect it to be 4k, but it should at least be on par with my 6 year old plasma (which it is not even close to), otherwise, what's the point? I'd rather have a 1080p tv that displays quality cable than the added quality I can only get if the signal is 4k. I've done some calibration using the rtings.com settings, but it doesn't seem to help. My set up is this: Xfinity X1 DVR -> Denon AVR-X4400H -> Vizio P75-F1. I haven't tried going straight from the cable box to the tv yet because it's a bit of a hassle given my set up and it's my understanding that this Denon receiver does a good job upscaling. Can anyone give me some guidance on getting the best picture quality with this setup? Are all 4k tvs going to look worse than my 1080p plasma when displaying cable signals?

Second, I recently purchased a Sony UBP-X700 4k blu-ray player. While trying to watch a movie, the screen kept flashing to black at random intervals. I played with a bunch of settings on the player thinking that had to be the source of the problem since I don't have that problem watching things through the cable box. It wasn't until I turned off "Full UHD Color" for the input on the TV that the flashing stopped. So it appears I can't have "Full UHD Color" set to "on" on the tv and use a UHD capable 4k player. What am I missing? My setup is: Sony UBP-X700 -> Denon AVR-X4400H -> Vizio P75-F1.

TIA
How is the picture on NON-cable HD programming? Can you pick up any stations with an indoor antenna or by just putting some aluminum foil in the back?
Can you test with a streaming service like Sling (you cancel before trial period ends). I use a tiny outdoor antenna only a couple of feet from the ground and the picture for local channels is beautiful, I would say A+ as it has to be much better than cable/satellite etc since it is the original, uncompressed transmission . Also streaming channels like SKY London, HULU, NETFLIX for just HD look just fine. Personally, I cannot understand why people use this anachronism called cable in 2019 but that's me.
This is the second P series and picture quality has remained same. 4K, Dolby Vision are A+ too.
Still have DSE (no lines) but I cannot tell unless I am watching an ice hockey game and then it is not very noticeable, but it is there.
gregka is offline  
post #1953 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
Should have read this forum before ordering the P75 today from CC. At the moment I have a 2014P70 and was happy with it but want HDR and better color.
What if the dimming is turned off, after all the contrast ratio is over 4000 ?


Eugene


Picture is very good but blacks aren't great.

I would be hard pressed to buy this tv only to turn off the local dimmimng.... It makes the tv thicker, heavier and it's the reason there is DSE Not to mention you're paying for the feature....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1954 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 06:34 AM
Member
 
versicolor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I own the p65 and I'm not experiencing any of the problems some of you guys are having. It's not perfect, there are a few minor things that if I'm trying real hard I can point out. But overall for the sale price that I paid for this TV it's outstanding.

I started with a Samsung 8000 series, exchanged that for the Sony x900f and settled on this vizio. The Sony was probably the best with most Blu-ray's and 4k discs but not for $750 more than the vizio. I struggled with the x900 way more than the Samsung or the vizio. Streaming anything on Netflix or Amazon produced horrible blocky pixelation in any and all dark areas on the screen. The rest of the picture looked good but not black shadowy areas. I never see that on the vizio. It also had much worse blooming than the vizio. There is a small amount of it on the vizio that I see sometimes but not near as bad and blatent as the Sony.

It also took me much longer to get a good crisp, vibrant, sharp picture on the Sony. And when I finally did it always seemed very dark. Like the entire screen had a tinted filter on it. Except for one particular concert Blu-ray it didnt matter what I did I just couldn't get it to look vibrant and bright. The only way to get it to really pop was to enable the max setting for live color, but that caused extreme over saturation which was unwatchable to me. It also was at times very jittery with long sweeping shots. Which always struck me as odd because one of the most hyped features of Sony tv's is the motion processing. I just couldn't get that TV right. There was always something that bothered me especially for the amount of money I paid for it.

The p65 popped pretty much right out of the box. And after tweaking the settings it looks even better. Pretty much everything I throw at it looks great. Never looks dull, always a bright vibrant picture. I've never experienced that jittery motion like on the Sony. There are a few times here and there that I notice some flickering of the zones or a small amount of banding. But honestly that is pretty rare and I really have to be looking for it to notice. 98% of the time it's just a good, solid, impressive display. I don't think there is much better for the money. If you wanna spend another grand I'm sure there are much better displays. But there's nothing that touches the vizio p series for the money IMO.
galonzo and tubers like this.
versicolor is offline  
post #1955 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
does Apple TV support Dolby Vision and Atmos on it for Netflix?
Rymax is offline  
post #1956 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 08:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregka View Post
How is the picture on NON-cable HD programming? Can you pick up any stations with an indoor antenna or by just putting some aluminum foil in the back?
Can you test with a streaming service like Sling (you cancel before trial period ends). I use a tiny outdoor antenna only a couple of feet from the ground and the picture for local channels is beautiful, I would say A+ as it has to be much better than cable/satellite etc since it is the original, uncompressed transmission . Also streaming channels like SKY London, HULU, NETFLIX for just HD look just fine. Personally, I cannot understand why people use this anachronism called cable in 2019 but that's me.
This is the second P series and picture quality has remained same. 4K, Dolby Vision are A+ too.
Still have DSE (no lines) but I cannot tell unless I am watching an ice hockey game and then it is not very noticeable, but it is there.
Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. look great. No complaints there. I'm not even talking about banding or DSE. It's just a grainy picture kinda like when a video you're streaming hasn't completely finished buffering. I tried using a Roku to stream Xfinity through their app, but it still looked bad. It didn't matter if it was a live show or a recording. I haven't tried an antenna, but my guess is it would probably be decent quality, but that doesn't really help me since antenna only gives so many channels. So I know the issue is with compression of the transmission. I was just hoping to gain some insight into how I can at least make the video look passable. Right now, it has me wishing I'd just bought another 1080p tv. I'm not quite ready to give up the convenience of cable broadcasting and solely rely on streaming services.
Darious is offline  
post #1957 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Member
 
gregka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darious View Post
Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. look great. No complaints there. I'm not even talking about banding or DSE. It's just a grainy picture kinda like when a video you're streaming hasn't completely finished buffering. I tried using a Roku to stream Xfinity through their app, but it still looked bad. It didn't matter if it was a live show or a recording. I haven't tried an antenna, but my guess is it would probably be decent quality, but that doesn't really help me since antenna only gives so many channels. So I know the issue is with compression of the transmission. I was just hoping to gain some insight into how I can at least make the video look passable. Right now, it has me wishing I'd just bought another 1080p tv. I'm not quite ready to give up the convenience of cable broadcasting and solely rely on streaming services.
I would definitely return it as defective, totally unacceptable. The only thing that goes against this otherwise great TV (paid only $889.99 plus tax for the 65 inch - 4 year warranty) is DSE and can be overlloked if it is minor. Picture should be outstanding otherwise.
My custom settings on non Dolby Vision programming are:
Auto brightness control off
backlight 75
brightness 45
contrast 50
color 50
Tint 2
Sharpness 30
Color temp Computer
black detail High
active full array Medium
Reduce Judder 0
Reduce motion blur 0
Clear action off
reduce noise off
Game Low Latency off
Film mode On
Color Space Auto
Gamma 2.2
gregka is offline  
post #1958 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 10:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I hate to break up the long string of complaining about how “garbage” this TV is, but can we talk about some picture settings?

More specifically, HDR. I’ve been doing a ton of testing and fiddling with settings. I think Vizio’s recommended backlight setting of 50 is not the way to go, at least for HDR10 content. It is stated that during HDR, the backlight is maximized by default, and raising it does nothing but raise the gamma curve, which washes out the image.

I think this does apply during Dolby Vision but HDR10 seems to act differently. For starters, I’m using a P55 F1. I’ve noticed that HDR10 looks pretty good but doesn’t “pop” anywhere near the level of Dolby Vision, as far as HDR highlights and general depth.

Taking a still image of a lantern in the middle of a dark room, I began going through all the settlings one by one, to try and maximize contrast. I have noticed that raising the backlight from 50 to 100 effectively doubles the brightness of the lantern. If the backlight was maximized at 50, theoretically the lantern should have stayed the same brightness, while the surrounding shadows became more gray due to the gamma curve being raised. This did not happen. Raising the backlight made the lantern pop twice as bright, while retaining the inky blacks in the surrounding image.

With this new setting of 100, it feels much more like what a 1,000 nit television should look like. Moving on to the local dimming options... I’ve gone back and forth between the medium and high settings during various scenes. It seems that sometimes medium scenes look brighter, but during some of the the scenes, the high setting seemed to make HDR highlights a bit brighter. After running the “white circle” local dimming test, I ended up settling on the medium setting, as it was able to keep the white circle the brightest as it moved across the screen, along with less flicker.

Another setting I discovered which was able to squeeze out a tad more brightness is the “black detail” setting. Switched from “off” to “medium”, I was able to make the lantern in a dark room shine just a bit brighter. This of course did make some of the dark areas of the screen a bit brighter as well, but overall I don’t feel like it ruined the overall contrast, and seemed like a net positive gain in image quality. This of course comes down to personal preference, but I like it set to medium.

If someone would like to test my settings on their display, I’d be genuinely curious to hear your results. I imagine the results could vary depending on what you use to view content. I avoid using the built in apps, since my TV has constant “you don’t have the bandwidth to stream 4K” interruptions. I have gigabit internet mind you... So I view the majority of content using an Xbox One X, which I understand may treat HDR differently than say an Apple TV. Nonetheless, here are the settings I am finding most enjoyable during HDR10 playback.

Backlight - 100
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 50
Color - 55
Sharpness - 10
Local Dimming - Medium
Black Detail - Medium
Reduce judder - 2
Reduce Motion blur - 2
Clear Action - Off
Film mode - On
Gamma - 2.2

...and I believe that’s it.

So far as I’ve been able to tell, viewing Dolby Vision content through the native Netflix and VUDU apps, the backlight control seems automated like it should be.

For all you gamers out there, if you’re on an Xbox One X, do yourself a favor and try the 120hz setting. With port 5 and a 120hz input, input lag is reduced to just 10ms. It feels incredible! The resolution is reduced to 1080p, however, it still looks quite nice and is definitely worth it for competitive games.

One interesting thing to note is that 120hz signal seems to work on ports 1-4 as well. According the the Rtings review, only port 5 supports 1080p/120hz. This is not true, as I had at working on port 2. I even went into the TV’s system settings and verified it was recieiving a 120hz signal. So in theory, you could play a game in 1080/120hz HDR on port 2.

Yes I realize that games do not actually play at 120hz on the Xbox, but you can certainly feel the reduced input lag of 10ms. It is nearly as smooth and snappy as my computer monitor, but on the big beautiful Vizio screen.

Anyway, I hope there are many of you enjoying your P Series as much as I am. Have a great day.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by Brink Bodin; 02-23-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Brink Bodin is offline  
post #1959 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 11:42 AM
Member
 
gregka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 48
DOLBY VISION settings

Auto brightness control off
backlight 100
brightness 45
contrast 70
color 60 to 65
Tint 2
Sharpness 30
Color temp Computer
black detail High
active full array Medium
Reduce Judder 0
Reduce motion blur 0
Clear action off
reduce noise off
Game Low Latency off
Film mode On
Color Space Auto
Gamma 2.2

My custom settings on non Dolby Vision programming are:
Auto brightness control off
backlight 75
brightness 45
contrast 50
color 50
Tint 2
Sharpness 30
Color temp Computer
black detail High
active full array Medium
Reduce Judder 0
Reduce motion blur 0
Clear action off
reduce noise off
Game Low Latency off
Film mode On
Color Space Auto
Gamma 2.2
gregka is offline  
post #1960 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 07:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darious View Post
I've had my P75-F1 for about a month now and there are two things that are driving me crazy that I hope you all can help me with.

First, the picture quality for cable is garbage. I don't expect it to be 4k, but it should at least be on par with my 6 year old plasma (which it is not even close to), otherwise, what's the point? I'd rather have a 1080p tv that displays quality cable than the added quality I can only get if the signal is 4k. I've done some calibration using the rtings.com settings, but it doesn't seem to help. My set up is this: Xfinity X1 DVR -> Denon AVR-X4400H -> Vizio P75-F1. I haven't tried going straight from the cable box to the tv yet because it's a bit of a hassle given my set up and it's my understanding that this Denon receiver does a good job upscaling. Can anyone give me some guidance on getting the best picture quality with this setup? Are all 4k tvs going to look worse than my 1080p plasma when displaying cable signals?

Second, I recently purchased a Sony UBP-X700 4k blu-ray player. While trying to watch a movie, the screen kept flashing to black at random intervals. I played with a bunch of settings on the player thinking that had to be the source of the problem since I don't have that problem watching things through the cable box. It wasn't until I turned off "Full UHD Color" for the input on the TV that the flashing stopped. So it appears I can't have "Full UHD Color" set to "on" on the tv and use a UHD capable 4k player. What am I missing? My setup is: Sony UBP-X700 -> Denon AVR-X4400H -> Vizio P75-F1.

TIA
P-65 owner here. I'm in the same boat as you as far as the quality of cable tv and coming from plasma. Cable looks worse than it did on the plasma. Plasma was about as old as yours before it got that vertical black bar issue.

Colors in most cable programming appear flat and washed out. Especially skin tones - which also stray to a yellowish tint on many channels. HBO, Showtime and Starz programming looked amazing on the plasma. Especially the individual network series like True Detective, Ray Donovan and Black Sails. Now, I use the apps for HBO and Showtime on my Roku box because of the noticeable boost in quality.


I have the same blu ray player as you do - are you my doppleganger??? - and I havent played any 4k discs on it yet, but I did test the built in Netflix and youtube apps without any problems with 4k/HDR content. Maybe drop a line in the X700 forum? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...rice-talk.html
karelj is offline  
post #1961 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by karelj View Post
P-65 owner here. I'm in the same boat as you as far as the quality of cable tv and coming from plasma. Cable looks worse than it did on the plasma. Plasma was about as old as yours before it got that vertical black bar issue.



Colors in most cable programming appear flat and washed out. Especially skin tones - which also stray to a yellowish tint on many channels. HBO, Showtime and Starz programming looked amazing on the plasma. Especially the individual network series like True Detective, Ray Donovan and Black Sails. Now, I use the apps for HBO and Showtime on my Roku box because of the noticeable boost in quality.





I have the same blu ray player as you do - are you my doppleganger??? - and I havent played any 4k discs on it yet, but I did test the built in Netflix and youtube apps without any problems with 4k/HDR content. Maybe drop a line in the X700 forum? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...rice-talk.html


I'm curious have you tried the normal picture type? I know a common view of calibrated settings are they are warm and yellow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #1962 of 2837 Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,092
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
@Darious and @karelj , I, too, upgraded my plasma to this TV (58" Panny to a P65-F1), and I can tell you that any flaws that were hardly noticeable (or perhaps not noticeable at all) with a native 1080 signal is magnified by four times, as a 4K TV will be upscaling it to 3840x2160 from 1920x1080; that's right, a 1080p signal is 1/4 of the 4K screen resolution (1/2 width * 1/2 height of the 4K resolution = 1/4 of the total 4K pixel grid ). To compound matters, anything greater than a setting of zero for Sharpness will add even more "noise" to your cable feed. I suggest trying the rtings.com setting and see what you think (of course, you'll want to set Active Full Array to taste)

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
post #1963 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 06:05 AM
Member
 
gregka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
@Darious and @karelj , I, too, upgraded my plasma to this TV (58" Panny to a P65-F1), and I can tell you that any flaws that were hardly noticeable (or perhaps not noticeable at all) with a native 1080 signal is magnified by four times, as a 4K TV will be upscaling it to 3840x2160 from 1920x1080; that's right, a 1080p signal is 1/4 of the 4K screen resolution (1/2 width * 1/2 height of the 4K resolution = 1/4 of the total 4K pixel grid ). To compound matters, anything greater than a setting of zero for Sharpness will add even more "noise" to your cable feed. I suggest trying the rtings.com setting and see what you think (of course, you'll want to set Active Full Array to taste)
So, it appears that some folks that still use the old technology of cable TV experience a picture quality issue. It would be interesting to know if this applies to all cable subscribers.
I use a tiny outdoor antenna for the locals ( up to 1080p quality) and everything else is thru the internet and none of my HD TVs can even come close to the VIZIO P 65" 2018 picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	919.7 KB
ID:	2530312   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	816.0 KB
ID:	2530316  

Last edited by gregka; 02-24-2019 at 06:25 AM.
gregka is offline  
post #1964 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 08:17 AM
Member
 
69mach1-377's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm just gonna stop reading this thread because I must be blind...no issues with my set at all.
I am disappointed that I can't access my pc files on the network though.
rc-zombies likes this.

Visio P75-F1
69mach1-377 is offline  
post #1965 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1-377 View Post
I'm just gonna stop reading this thread because I must be blind...no issues with my set at all.
I am disappointed that I can't access my pc files on the network though.
By design forums will almost always have people complaining more often than just singing praises. I actually like the P75-F1 a lot and I think most people do. The reviews also back it up. I watched some Planet Earth II yesterday in 4K and it looks stunning. Colors, definition and contrast were all excellent. Also watched the Departed (1080p) and it looked very good. Only here and there in very minor instances I noticed the local dimming working during the movie. My issue is more with quality control or damage during transit with maybe the Vizio's design being more prone to damage that causes pressure to the casing that maybe leads to uniformity / banding issues. If you have a good panel with little to no uniformity issues I think it is the best value TV you can get. Next real step up in quality is going to cost you almost $1k more (Sony 900F) for the 75" for example. I'm getting a replacement panel on Tuesday and if the banding is faint to none I will keep it and be very happy overall.
galonzo and gregka like this.
starlan is offline  
post #1966 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Murilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,071
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I am looking at the p75-f1 in canada, i hear all these complaints about cable (i am a cable user), do people output source direct or something? Or are they complaining about 1080p to 4k? Which rtings claims looks fine, its just 720p and 480.

My 4k cable box upscales everything to 4k anyway and has no source direct option.

Everything I own outputs 4k so its scaled directly on the device, except the nintendo switch. I did not think many devices had a source direct option.
Murilo is offline  
post #1967 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,092
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
@Murilo , no complaints about 1080 to 4k with my cable feed (FiOS, looks about the same as OTA); I suspect @Darious and @karelj are talking non-1080 cable, as that would be a 24x upscale from 480 to 4K (i.e., flaws for non-HD channels are magnified x24).

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
post #1968 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 08:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
I'm curious have you tried the normal picture type? I know a common view of calibrated settings are they are warm and yellow


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to try and remember to try this the next time I am watching something that appears washed out and yellow. It's usually stuff on HGTV.
karelj is offline  
post #1969 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 08:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
@Darious and @karelj , I, too, upgraded my plasma to this TV (58" Panny to a P65-F1), and I can tell you that any flaws that were hardly noticeable (or perhaps not noticeable at all) with a native 1080 signal is magnified by four times, as a 4K TV will be upscaling it to 3840x2160 from 1920x1080; that's right, a 1080p signal is 1/4 of the 4K screen resolution (1/2 width * 1/2 height of the 4K resolution = 1/4 of the total 4K pixel grid ). To compound matters, anything greater than a setting of zero for Sharpness will add even more "noise" to your cable feed. I suggest trying the rtings.com setting and see what you think (of course, you'll want to set Active Full Array to taste)
Well, the issue I have with that assessment - correct as it may be - is that the apps for HBO and Showtime are also in 1080p and it looks noticeably better than the cable feed for both channels.

I'm assuming that the cable feed has more compression than the apps.
karelj is offline  
post #1970 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 08:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
@Murilo , no complaints about 1080 to 4k with my cable feed (FiOS, looks about the same as OTA); I suspect @Darious and @karelj are talking non-1080 cable, as that would be a 24x upscale from 480 to 4K (i.e., flaws for non-HD channels are magnified x24).
No. I am referring to 1080 cable. Granted, the cable feeds here are 1080i. But that is still a 1080 feed. I suspect that Optimum/Cablevision's feeds are kinda crappy and the 4k tv is magnifying those issues.
I can't help but wonder if part of the cause is because I did not use one of the new, 4k certified Monoprice HDMI cables to connect the cable box to the receiver. I figured since it was just a 1080 feed with no HDR content, the HDMI cables I used with my previous tv - Panasonic Plasma - would be fine.
karelj is offline  
post #1971 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
tubers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by versicolor View Post
I own the p65 and I'm not experiencing any of the problems some of you guys are having. It's not perfect, there are a few minor things that if I'm trying real hard I can point out. But overall for the sale price that I paid for this TV it's outstanding.

I started with a Samsung 8000 series, exchanged that for the Sony x900f and settled on this vizio. The Sony was probably the best with most Blu-ray's and 4k discs but not for $750 more than the vizio. I struggled with the x900 way more than the Samsung or the vizio. Streaming anything on Netflix or Amazon produced horrible blocky pixelation in any and all dark areas on the screen. The rest of the picture looked good but not black shadowy areas. I never see that on the vizio. It also had much worse blooming than the vizio. There is a small amount of it on the vizio that I see sometimes but not near as bad and blatent as the Sony.

It also took me much longer to get a good crisp, vibrant, sharp picture on the Sony. And when I finally did it always seemed very dark. Like the entire screen had a tinted filter on it. Except for one particular concert Blu-ray it didnt matter what I did I just couldn't get it to look vibrant and bright. The only way to get it to really pop was to enable the max setting for live color, but that caused extreme over saturation which was unwatchable to me. It also was at times very jittery with long sweeping shots. Which always struck me as odd because one of the most hyped features of Sony tv's is the motion processing. I just couldn't get that TV right. There was always something that bothered me especially for the amount of money I paid for it.

The p65 popped pretty much right out of the box. And after tweaking the settings it looks even better. Pretty much everything I throw at it looks great. Never looks dull, always a bright vibrant picture. I've never experienced that jittery motion like on the Sony. There are a few times here and there that I notice some flickering of the zones or a small amount of banding. But honestly that is pretty rare and I really have to be looking for it to notice. 98% of the time it's just a good, solid, impressive display. I don't think there is much better for the money. If you wanna spend another grand I'm sure there are much better displays. But there's nothing that touches the vizio p series for the money IMO.
Similar experience with the sony.

It looks for whatever reason dull and washed out compared to the P55 Vizio we had and we had to jack up live color or go to bt18 color but the reds and skins look so ugly.

Also worse blooming than X900F. I didn't really notice the crawling fald of the P55 though.

Netflix looked okay but streaming in youtube looks noticeably bad and it was wired connection even.

TV was much brighter though and SDR/1080p looked amazing. Cable was also better on the Sony.

Sony had sharper image due to being true RGB unlike the P55 Vizio (P65 has proper pixels).

Returned both still. Quite disappointed with both.

Sony had worse uniformity issue like a big dark smear in the middle of the screen with 1 nipple.

Still looking for a tv.
tubers is offline  
post #1972 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,538
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by karelj View Post
No. I am referring to 1080 cable. Granted, the cable feeds here are 1080i. But that is still a 1080 feed. I suspect that Optimum/Cablevision's feeds are kinda crappy and the 4k tv is magnifying those issues.

I can't help but wonder if part of the cause is because I did not use one of the new, 4k certified Monoprice HDMI cables to connect the cable box to the receiver. I figured since it was just a 1080 feed with no HDR content, the HDMI cables I used with my previous tv - Panasonic Plasma - would be fine.


I don't think a cable will make a difference. HDMI is digital so you don't get analogue type issues like lack of saturation or color accuracy. They tend to me digital sparkles or cutting out.

1080i is not the same a 1080p it's 50% less image data and has to be deinterkaced which some TV's don't do well. Also some cable companies heavily compress their content to get as many channels as they can in although I think this is more an issue with satellite.

Chances are the apps are getting 1080p material possibly at higher quality than the cable company is sending you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #1973 of 2837 Old 02-24-2019, 11:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Murilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,071
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I also want to ask about the tv startup time, i see some complaints about it, and this video here looks crazy how long the tv takes to boot


But cant you enable quick start mode so the tv starts much quicker? My lower end vizio 2018 D series i have in the bedroom takes less time to boot in quick start mode and also resolved the issues i had with hdmi handshake with my cable dvr box, seemed to have trouble establishing an hdmi connection with eco on and sometimes defaulting to lower resolution or no picture, works perfect however with quick start on and the tv boots much quicker, i assume the p series has this as well?
Murilo is offline  
post #1974 of 2837 Old 02-25-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,092
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by karelj View Post
No. I am referring to 1080 cable. Granted, the cable feeds here are 1080i. But that is still a 1080 feed. I suspect that Optimum/Cablevision's feeds are kinda crappy and the 4k tv is magnifying those issues.
I can't help but wonder if part of the cause is because I did not use one of the new, 4k certified Monoprice HDMI cables to connect the cable box to the receiver. I figured since it was just a 1080 feed with no HDR content, the HDMI cables I used with my previous tv - Panasonic Plasma - would be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
I don't think a cable will make a difference. HDMI is digital so you don't get analogue type issues like lack of saturation or color accuracy. They tend to me digital sparkles or cutting out.

1080i is not the same a 1080p it's 50% less image data and has to be deinterkaced which some TV's don't do well. Also some cable companies heavily compress their content to get as many channels as they can in although I think this is more an issue with satellite.

Chances are the apps are getting 1080p material possibly at higher quality than the cable company is sending you.
Correct, compression per channel varies depending on your cable provider, and it sounds like you may have inadvertently exposed greater compression from your provider by literally putting them "under a microscope".

Also correct, the HDMI cable will not matter for 1080 and below, rather it will be a 4K signal that will be more demanding on the cable (Premium Certified is required in order to guarantee no issues with 4K, they will have the scannable, holographic certification sticker on the packaging; I use >>THESE<<, or I also saw my local Walmart carries another brand).

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
post #1975 of 2837 Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
lifesun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlan View Post
By design forums will almost always have people complaining more often than just singing praises. I actually like the P75-F1 a lot and I think most people do. The reviews also back it up. I watched some Planet Earth II yesterday in 4K and it looks stunning. Colors, definition and contrast were all excellent. Also watched the Departed (1080p) and it looked very good. Only here and there in very minor instances I noticed the local dimming working during the movie. My issue is more with quality control or damage during transit with maybe the Vizio's design being more prone to damage that causes pressure to the casing that maybe leads to uniformity / banding issues. If you have a good panel with little to no uniformity issues I think it is the best value TV you can get. Next real step up in quality is going to cost you almost $1k more (Sony 900F) for the 75" for example. I'm getting a replacement panel on Tuesday and if the banding is faint to none I will keep it and be very happy overall.
Agree, I am pretty happy with my P65 as well, especially for what I paid. I have some minor issues here and there, but nothing like what some have expressed. Not sure if its perception, build quality, etc, but count me as one that is happy with this set.
galonzo likes this.
lifesun is offline  
post #1976 of 2837 Old 02-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
lifesun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
I hate to break up the long string of complaining about how “garbage” this TV is, but can we talk about some picture settings?

More specifically, HDR. I’ve been doing a ton of testing and fiddling with settings. I think Vizio’s recommended backlight setting of 50 is not the way to go, at least for HDR10 content. It is stated that during HDR, the backlight is maximized by default, and raising it does nothing but raise the gamma curve, which washes out the image.

I think this does apply during Dolby Vision but HDR10 seems to act differently. For starters, I’m using a P55 F1. I’ve noticed that HDR10 looks pretty good but doesn’t “pop” anywhere near the level of Dolby Vision, as far as HDR highlights and general depth.

Taking a still image of a lantern in the middle of a dark room, I began going through all the settlings one by one, to try and maximize contrast. I have noticed that raising the backlight from 50 to 100 effectively doubles the brightness of the lantern. If the backlight was maximized at 50, theoretically the lantern should have stayed the same brightness, while the surrounding shadows became more gray due to the gamma curve being raised. This did not happen. Raising the backlight made the lantern pop twice as bright, while retaining the inky blacks in the surrounding image.

With this new setting of 100, it feels much more like what a 1,000 nit television should look like. Moving on to the local dimming options... I’ve gone back and forth between the medium and high settings during various scenes. It seems that sometimes medium scenes look brighter, but during some of the the scenes, the high setting seemed to make HDR highlights a bit brighter. After running the “white circle” local dimming test, I ended up settling on the medium setting, as it was able to keep the white circle the brightest as it moved across the screen, along with less flicker.

Another setting I discovered which was able to squeeze out a tad more brightness is the “black detail” setting. Switched from “off” to “medium”, I was able to make the lantern in a dark room shine just a bit brighter. This of course did make some of the dark areas of the screen a bit brighter as well, but overall I don’t feel like it ruined the overall contrast, and seemed like a net positive gain in image quality. This of course comes down to personal preference, but I like it set to medium.

If someone would like to test my settings on their display, I’d be genuinely curious to hear your results. I imagine the results could vary depending on what you use to view content. I avoid using the built in apps, since my TV has constant “you don’t have the bandwidth to stream 4K” interruptions. I have gigabit internet mind you... So I view the majority of content using an Xbox One X, which I understand may treat HDR differently than say an Apple TV. Nonetheless, here are the settings I am finding most enjoyable during HDR10 playback.

Backlight - 100
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 50
Color - 55
Sharpness - 10
Local Dimming - Medium
Black Detail - Medium
Reduce judder - 2
Reduce Motion blur - 2
Clear Action - Off
Film mode - On
Gamma - 2.2

...and I believe that’s it.

So far as I’ve been able to tell, viewing Dolby Vision content through the native Netflix and VUDU apps, the backlight control seems automated like it should be.

For all you gamers out there, if you’re on an Xbox One X, do yourself a favor and try the 120hz setting. With port 5 and a 120hz input, input lag is reduced to just 10ms. It feels incredible! The resolution is reduced to 1080p, however, it still looks quite nice and is definitely worth it for competitive games.

One interesting thing to note is that 120hz signal seems to work on ports 1-4 as well. According the the Rtings review, only port 5 supports 1080p/120hz. This is not true, as I had at working on port 2. I even went into the TV’s system settings and verified it was recieiving a 120hz signal. So in theory, you could play a game in 1080/120hz HDR on port 2.

Yes I realize that games do not actually play at 120hz on the Xbox, but you can certainly feel the reduced input lag of 10ms. It is nearly as smooth and snappy as my computer monitor, but on the big beautiful Vizio screen.

Anyway, I hope there are many of you enjoying your P Series as much as I am. Have a great day.
Appreciate the postive post! FYI, I was happy with my P65 but not really "impressed" with HDR10 or DV either via disc or streaming until I bumped the backlight to 100. I was under the impression initially that changing it from anything other than 50 would cause any HDR image to degrade, then I read on both CNET and RTINGS that changing from 50 to 100 caused the gamma curve to remain stable, tried it, and the rest is history. Set has the pop I wanted from both 1080P and 4k HDR content now.
lifesun is offline  
post #1977 of 2837 Old 02-25-2019, 01:39 PM
Member
 
bobby james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Has anyone tried local dimming on high? I just turned it on high last night to give it a try but didn’t really get much chance to check it out to see my differences between it and medium.
bobby james is offline  
post #1978 of 2837 Old 02-26-2019, 08:06 AM
s44
Advanced Member
 
s44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darious View Post
My set up is this: Xfinity X1 DVR -> Denon AVR-X4400H -> Vizio P75-F1.
Is there a native resolution output for the DVR? If so, you can have the Denon do all the upscaling. Also, having the DVR send everything out at 1080 gives you a double scaling issue for all the 720p channels...

The Blu Ray player issues are probably cable related - turning off Full UHD Color lowers the bandwidth, so an imperfect cable may then work OK. Swap to Monoprice Certified Premium cables or the like. I believe you should also turn off i/p scaler on the Denon for that input.
s44 is offline  
post #1979 of 2837 Old 02-26-2019, 09:46 AM
Member
 
HTrayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Windermere, FL
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I had this TV delivered last Wednesday after finding it Open Box at Best Buy for $1349.99. I am not having any picture issues at all - I'm rather happy with it (no banding, local dimming issue doesn't bother me that much). But, I do need help.

Smartcast has been absolutely terrible. Slow start-up times, but more than that, we're getting instances several times of day where audio drops, the video freezes a minute later, and then Smartcast will not reboot. Or, when turning on the TV, Smartcast will not boot up. Or, we get a "not enough Broadband" issue while streaming. We are running at almost 400 mbps on a 5g band via Spectrum, router is in the same room. Smartcast is just glitchy as all get out. Haven't tried other sources yet (will be using XBox One S only). We have to do a Soft Power Cycle just to get back to watching something.

Not sure if this is a defective set, but I need to figure it out before Saturday so I know if I can return it, or then I'll have to rely on Vizio and a warranty claim. I started reading back through this thread but I'm tied up with work. If anyone can advise me on what to do to try to fix this, please let me know, or point me toward a specific page or post in this thread.

I was on the phone twice with Vizio yesterday, and today did a Factory Reset, and so far it's been working well streaming from Prime Video, but I just keep waiting for it to glitch.

Any help is appreciated!
HTrayne is offline  
post #1980 of 2837 Old 02-26-2019, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
lifesun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTrayne View Post
Hi All,

I had this TV delivered last Wednesday after finding it Open Box at Best Buy for $1349.99. I am not having any picture issues at all - I'm rather happy with it (no banding, local dimming issue doesn't bother me that much). But, I do need help.

Smartcast has been absolutely terrible. Slow start-up times, but more than that, we're getting instances several times of day where audio drops, the video freezes a minute later, and then Smartcast will not reboot. Or, when turning on the TV, Smartcast will not boot up. Or, we get a "not enough Broadband" issue while streaming. We are running at almost 400 mbps on a 5g band via Spectrum, router is in the same room. Smartcast is just glitchy as all get out. Haven't tried other sources yet (will be using XBox One S only). We have to do a Soft Power Cycle just to get back to watching something.

Not sure if this is a defective set, but I need to figure it out before Saturday so I know if I can return it, or then I'll have to rely on Vizio and a warranty claim. I started reading back through this thread but I'm tied up with work. If anyone can advise me on what to do to try to fix this, please let me know, or point me toward a specific page or post in this thread.

I was on the phone twice with Vizio yesterday, and today did a Factory Reset, and so far it's been working well streaming from Prime Video, but I just keep waiting for it to glitch.

Any help is appreciated!
Looks like you are connecting via wifi? If not and are hard wired, try wifi. I had all sorts or issues with smartcast while hard wired, changed to wifi and most issues were resolved. Also, finally threw in the towel on ARC with my yamaha sound bar, not sure if its the TV or soundbar but had all kinds of audio issues with the Netflix app in particular. Changed to optical and its been fine for 3 x days now.
lifesun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off