Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 683Likes

post #1981 of 2952 Old 02-26-2019, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post
Looks like you are connecting via wifi? If not and are hard wired, try wifi. I had all sorts or issues with smartcast while hard wired, changed to wifi and most issues were resolved. Also, finally threw in the towel on ARC with my yamaha sound bar, not sure if its the TV or soundbar but had all kinds of audio issues with the Netflix app in particular. Changed to optical and its been fine for 3 x days now.
We have only tried a WiFi connection, because ideally I need to move my modem & router up one floor to my office.

After I did a Factory Reset today, started streaming Justice League on Prime and it was working fine. Switched over to Netflix and started The Punisher, and it streamed for a few minutes before buffering, then stopping and giving me an error message. Hit the Smartcast button, would/could not load. Shut TV off. Waited a few minutes. Turned TV on. "Smartcast is starting up. Please wait..." for 5 minutes now.

Anyone know a fix, or is it time to cash in on the warranty? I'd rather have this replaced by Vizio than return it to Best Buy, b/c of the price I got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2952 Old 02-26-2019, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Similar experience with the sony.

It looks for whatever reason dull and washed out compared to the P55 Vizio we had and we had to jack up live color or go to bt18 color but the reds and skins look so ugly.

Also worse blooming than X900F. I didn't really notice the crawling fald of the P55 though.

Netflix looked okay but streaming in youtube looks noticeably bad and it was wired connection even.

TV was much brighter though and SDR/1080p looked amazing. Cable was also better on the Sony.

Sony had sharper image due to being true RGB unlike the P55 Vizio (P65 has proper pixels).

Returned both still. Quite disappointed with both.

Sony had worse uniformity issue like a big dark smear in the middle of the screen with 1 nipple.

Still looking for a tv.
I was on my last day with the Sony and almost kept it. It was spectacular at times but I had to give the vizio a try for the price difference. And I'm glad I did. The x900 was an all around better TV but not $750 better. DV was suuuuuper dark on it and HDR was pretty dark as well. Didn't matter how I had the settings. Not so on the vizio. Both formats are plenty bright and clear. And now I have the Panasonic ub820 4k player which has improved the pic quality even more. I'm very happy with the p65 especially for the $900 price I paid.

I also had the Samsung 65" 8500 and that was actually a really nice TV. Even though it is edge lit the thing still had a real nice picture. Only reason I returned it was because the flashlighting around the edges was pretty noticeable. Otherwise it was great. But the vizio is better Imo.
galonzo likes this.

Last edited by versicolor; 02-26-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #1983 of 2952 Old 02-26-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there a link to a settings page for this TV on the forums?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2952 Old 02-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Liked: 7
This was happening to me and it was my router that needed a reboot.

The quick fix on the TV is to do a "soft reset" but that doesn't fix my root cause which was my router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTrayne View Post
We have only tried a WiFi connection, because ideally I need to move my modem & router up one floor to my office.

After I did a Factory Reset today, started streaming Justice League on Prime and it was working fine. Switched over to Netflix and started The Punisher, and it streamed for a few minutes before buffering, then stopping and giving me an error message. Hit the Smartcast button, would/could not load. Shut TV off. Waited a few minutes. Turned TV on. "Smartcast is starting up. Please wait..." for 5 minutes now.

Anyone know a fix, or is it time to cash in on the warranty? I'd rather have this replaced by Vizio than return it to Best Buy, b/c of the price I got.
galonzo likes this.
post #1985 of 2952 Old 02-26-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthirdeye View Post
Is there a link to a settings page for this TV on the forums?

Thanks
I'm not seeing any of the issues discussed here when I use the rtings.com settings; you'll want to adjust Active Full Array to taste (typically the low to mid setting)

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | Shield | PS4 Pro
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hot Fuzz and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #1986 of 2952 Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

If TV otherwise is great, keep it and buy an Amazon 4K firestick(do not get a ROKU as it is missing DV) and you have the smartest and fastest TV in the world and just forget all about that smartcast limited joke feauture of VIZIO. My internet speed via the TV is much lower than thru Amazon 4K firestick.
galonzo likes this.
post #1987 of 2952 Old 02-27-2019, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Hi All,

I had this TV delivered last Wednesday after finding it Open Box at Best Buy for $1349.99. I am not having any picture issues at all - I'm rather happy with it (no banding, local dimming issue doesn't bother me that much). But, I do need help.

Smartcast has been absolutely terrible. Slow start-up times, but more than that, we're getting instances several times of day where audio drops, the video freezes a minute later, and then Smartcast will not reboot. Or, when turning on the TV, Smartcast will not boot up. Or, we get a "not enough Broadband" issue while streaming. We are running at almost 400 mbps on a 5g band via Spectrum, router is in the same room. Smartcast is just glitchy as all get out. Haven't tried other sources yet (will be using XBox One S only). We have to do a Soft Power Cycle just to get back to watching something.

Not sure if this is a defective set, but I need to figure it out before Saturday so I know if I can return it, or then I'll have to rely on Vizio and a warranty claim. I started reading back through this thread but I'm tied up with work. If anyone can advise me on what to do to try to fix this, please let me know, or point me toward a specific page or post in this thread.

I was on the phone twice with Vizio yesterday, and today did a Factory Reset, and so far it's been working well streaming from Prime Video, but I just keep waiting for it to glitch.

Any help is appreciated!
Mine does the same “you don’t have the bandwidth” thing. I have Gigabit internet. It’s worse when hardwired but still does it over WiFi. I have found that casting the content from my phone helps, rather than using SmartCast. Not sure why that is. I think the best option is to use a Roku or Apple TV.
post #1988 of 2952 Old 02-27-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregka View Post
If TV otherwise is great, keep it and buy an Amazon 4K firestick(do not get a ROKU as it is missing DV) and you have the smartest and fastest TV in the world and just forget all about that smartcast limited joke feauture of VIZIO. My internet speed via the TV is much lower than thru Amazon 4K firestick.

One of my gripes with this set was definitely the built in wifi was so weak and slow

But be aware a fire stick will upscale everything and in my opinion doesn't as as good a job as the tv does when using internal apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
post #1989 of 2952 Old 02-28-2019, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1541 View Post
Last night I went to watch TV and it seems to be dead.

---Earlier in this thread I posted that the top half of the screen was periodically going dim, so I guess it's time has come. (although very early)

The V logo comes up and the TV shuts off.

It seems to be in a boot loop.

I've tried the hard reset.

Unplug TV
Press Power for 30 seconds
Plug TV in and turn back on.

It keeps looping.

I bought the TV in July from Costco with the Costco Citibank Visa and the SquareTrade warranty so I'm covered for a good amount of time. (supposedly 7 years)

Being that it's past the Costco 90 days return window, how should I handle the replacement? Through Vizio or directly through Costco?

EDIT:
I called Costco Concierge service and explained the power issue and mentioned the top half of the screen going dark. The picture I took was on Jan. 13.

They transferred me to Vizio and Vizio says they need to send out a technician to fix the power issue.

I asked about the dark screen and they said since the call was for the power issue, they have to fix it first. If I was calling about the dark screen issue they would replace the TV.

So I would have to have them come out to fix the power.
If the tech sees the top half going dark he would open up a ticket at that time.

If not, I'll have to wait to get a picture of the dark screen and call in again.

I called the Costco number again and explained my frustration. She said she understood but couldn't do anything and sent me to Vizio again.
The 2nd Vizio rep explained the situation to me like I was an idiot and said there was nothing they could do.

Update (02/20/2019)

So far I have to give partial props to Vizio support on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/VIZIO_Offic...looping_p75f1/

After 2 failed to calls to support, I posted on Reddit and they reached out to me.
I sent in a picture of the bad screen and proof or purchase and they are arranging a swap.

The reason for partial props is that the replacement will be a recertified TV.
So for now I will have a used, repaired, whatever TV after about 6 months after spending $2000.

When they swap, I'll be sure to check for jailbars. There were pretty noticeable on certain scenes but I just dealt with it.

My set was built in 2018 week 14.. I'll report back with the week of the replacement set.

I'll post updates after I receive the TV.

Update: 02/28/2019

I received my recertified replacement today.
I ran the DSE Hockey video and it seems cleaner than my last set.

The build week is 30 (of 2018)

TV: Vizio P75-F1 (2018) AVR: Yamaha RX-V683
Speakers: Polk S60 Towers / S35 Center / S20 Bookshelf Speakers / Atlantic Technology 262 PBM Sub

TV: 55LW5600 (mfg date 3/11) AVR: Pioneer VSX-45

Last edited by fox1541; 02-28-2019 at 02:53 PM.
post #1990 of 2952 Old 02-28-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi All,

I had this TV delivered last Wednesday after finding it Open Box at Best Buy for $1349.99. I am not having any picture issues at all - I'm rather happy with it (no banding, local dimming issue doesn't bother me that much). But, I do need help.

Smartcast has been absolutely terrible. Slow start-up times, but more than that, we're getting instances several times of day where audio drops, the video freezes a minute later, and then Smartcast will not reboot. Or, when turning on the TV, Smartcast will not boot up. Or, we get a "not enough Broadband" issue while streaming. We are running at almost 400 mbps on a 5g band via Spectrum, router is in the same room. Smartcast is just glitchy as all get out. Haven't tried other sources yet (will be using XBox One S only). We have to do a Soft Power Cycle just to get back to watching something.

Not sure if this is a defective set, but I need to figure it out before Saturday so I know if I can return it, or then I'll have to rely on Vizio and a warranty claim. I started reading back through this thread but I'm tied up with work. If anyone can advise me on what to do to try to fix this, please let me know, or point me toward a specific page or post in this thread.

I was on the phone twice with Vizio yesterday, and today did a Factory Reset, and so far it's been working well streaming from Prime Video, but I just keep waiting for it to glitch.

Any help is appreciated!

Wait isn't that above MSRP for this set?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

post #1991 of 2952 Old 02-28-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby james View Post
Has anyone tried local dimming on high? I just turned it on high last night to give it a try but didn’t really get much chance to check it out to see my differences between it and medium.

I find the local dimming creates to much image artifacting on low and medium let alone high.

High is essentially for showroom floors.

post #1992 of 2952 Old 02-28-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I decided to go this route. Firestick 4k arrives today. Ordered an Echo and some Echo Dots and will use some smart home functions and have basic whole house audio. I have 11.5 months left on the Vizio warranty if I continue to have issues.

It's a shame that Vizio would produce a TV with a pretty good screen, yet falter on the built-in OS. I previously used a 55" Vizio for coaching, a lower end 2016 or 2017 model, and never had these issues with their Smart functions. That's what convinced me to buy this over the 75" TCL, as I'm not a Roku fan.
post #1993 of 2952 Old 02-28-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
Wait isn't that above MSRP for this set?

No, current sale price at Best Buy is $1,699.99, down from $1,999.99. You must've looked at the E series price.
post #1994 of 2952 Old 02-28-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlane View Post
This was happening to me and it was my router that needed a reboot.

The quick fix on the TV is to do a "soft reset" but that doesn't fix my root cause which was my router.
If Spectrum had me reset my modem & router, would that qualify as a router "reboot" or did you have to do something else? I have 2 days left on this return policy to Best Buy - if this Fire Stick 4K doesn't satisfy me tonight, I think it may go back - they supposedly have a Samsung 8-series 75" open box in stock at around $1450. Not sure if it was the store display but if it was just a customer return, I'd swap this out for that, seeing as I paid just about $150 less.
post #1995 of 2952 Old 02-28-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, current sale price at Best Buy is $1,699.99, down from $1,999.99. You must've looked at the E series price.

Oh I thought you were taking about p65-f1

post #1996 of 2952 Old 02-28-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I decided to go this route. Firestick 4k arrives today. Ordered an Echo and some Echo Dots and will use some smart home functions and have basic whole house audio. I have 11.5 months left on the Vizio warranty if I continue to have issues.

It's a shame that Vizio would produce a TV with a pretty good screen, yet falter on the built-in OS. I previously used a 55" Vizio for coaching, a lower end 2016 or 2017 model, and never had these issues with their Smart functions. That's what convinced me to buy this over the 75" TCL, as I'm not a Roku fan.

I was just disappointed they did everything so right and messed up the local dimmimng so badly...

post #1997 of 2952 Old 02-28-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Good for you. When you get your amazon firestick run a test thru a web browser (silk or firefox) and compare the speed.
There are more weaknesses on the VIZIO P series but most people will never notice. The TV channel digital tuner is crap, I have tested 3 VIZIOs and the tuners are the same. Have two SONYs and an old VIZIO and their tuners are great. I have purchased for $20 a small black external digital tuner(comes with remote and all wiring) that I have connected to a USB stick to record programming, and noticed that channels that either the VIZIO cannot receive or they are coming in with difficulty during my morning hours, are coming in crystal clear on the external tuner (and pic quality can go up to 1080p). Same cable, same antenna. I got mine on Amazon but Walmart sells them for a few dollars more and they all seem to be a variation of the same Chinese inexpensive digital tuner box.
post #1998 of 2952 Old 03-01-2019, 11:56 AM

Liked: 7
Pull the power on the modem and router for 10 seconds and then plug it back in. That qualifies as a reboot/reset to me.

Quote:
If Spectrum had me reset my modem & router, would that qualify as a router "reboot" or did you have to do something else? I have 2 days left on this return policy to Best Buy - if this Fire Stick 4K doesn't satisfy me tonight, I think it may go back - they supposedly have a Samsung 8-series 75" open box in stock at around $1450. Not sure if it was the store display but if it was just a customer return, I'd swap this out for that, seeing as I paid just about $150 less.
galonzo likes this.
post #1999 of 2952 Old 03-01-2019, 06:47 PM

Liked: 12
Is anyone having troubles with their remote? Unless I stand less than two feet away and directly in front of the IR sensor (bottom left of bezel) tv response is a total crap shoot. I'm not talking about OS sluggishness, that's a whole other issue. I'm mean, I often have to hit the button I'm using several times and from different angles and the tv still won't respond most of the time. I've tried removing the batteries, pushing every button on the remote, and putting them back in. I've tried a different set of new batteries. And I've now done a factory reset on the tv to no avail. I've had my P65 for about three weeks now and the problem seems to be getting worse. Any thoughts?

TV: Vizio P65-F1 -Receiver: Marantz SR6013 - Mains: Polk RTi10 - Center: Polk CSi5 - Surrounds: Polk f/xi3 dipole/bipole - Atmos front .2: Klipsch R-41SA - Sub: Polk PSW505 - Oppo BDP-93 - Nvidia Shield Pro 2019
post #2000 of 2952 Old 03-01-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe View Post
Is anyone having troubles with their remote? Unless I stand less than two feet away and directly in front of the IR sensor (bottom left of bezel) tv response is a total crap shoot. I'm not talking about OS sluggishness, that's a whole other issue. I'm mean, I often have to hit the button I'm using several times and from different angles and the tv still won't respond most of the time. I've tried removing the batteries, pushing every button on the remote, and putting them back in. I've tried a different set of new batteries. And I've now done a factory reset on the tv to no avail. I've had my P65 for about three weeks now and the problem seems to be getting worse. Any thoughts?
I have an older 60 inch VIZIO that had this problem when the power indicator was on. When off, it is fine (go to reset and admin settings and make sure power indicator is off).
post #2001 of 2952 Old 03-01-2019, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys been noticing when I power off my Xbox one x and try to change inputs my tv does a soft power cycle. Seems like it only happens with Xbox hdmi 1. Have ps4 pro, dish, ps3, Xbox 360 on other inputs haven’t noticed any issues. Anyone else notice this.
post #2002 of 2952 Old 03-02-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
issues w/ RTING setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
I'm not seeing any of the issues discussed here when I use the rtings.com settings; you'll want to adjust Active Full Array to taste (typically the low to mid setting)
Searched the thread and didn't see any mentions of this ....when I use the RTINGS settings on my P65-F1 it seems to introduce a pretty significant blooming/clouding issue (at least on Amazon FireTV content and the native Netflix app). The blooming/clouding is also present when I engage Dolby Vision content on Netflix. I played around with the settings and it seems simply switching the picture to 'Calibrated' mode (vs. 'Calilbrated Dark' as per RTINGS setting) removes the blooming/clouding effect. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

For a few minutes (after powering up and entering the RTINGS settings)...I was worried I was experiencing some uniformity/dirty screen effect and was going to have to deal with a store return and replace to try to get a better panel. Overall love this TV (especially for the price). On a semi-related note - sweet jesus, when will HBO offer 4K streaming content?
post #2003 of 2952 Old 03-02-2019, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc20112 View Post
Searched the thread and didn't see any mentions of this ....when I use the RTINGS settings on my P65-F1 it seems to introduce a pretty significant blooming/clouding issue (at least on Amazon FireTV content and the native Netflix app). The blooming/clouding is also present when I engage Dolby Vision content on Netflix. I played around with the settings and it seems simply switching the picture to 'Calibrated' mode (vs. 'Calilbrated Dark' as per RTINGS setting) removes the blooming/clouding effect. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

For a few minutes (after powering up and entering the RTINGS settings)...I was worried I was experiencing some uniformity/dirty screen effect and was going to have to deal with a store return and replace to try to get a better panel. Overall love this TV (especially for the price). On a semi-related note - sweet jesus, when will HBO offer 4K streaming content?
RTING's setting are from summer 2018 so I'm thinking that lower level changes in firmware releases since then have probably improved the "out of box' picture while making the older calibration settings from RTINGS have a negative impact when enabled.
post #2004 of 2952 Old 03-02-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
Could be @chadc20112 , I'm not using the greyscale and color calibration settings, just everything else; ambient room lighting is also a factor, as I'm sure mine is pretty close to theirs (i.e., you can't see your hand in front of your face when the TV is off).

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | Shield | PS4 Pro
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hot Fuzz and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #2005 of 2952 Old 03-02-2019, 09:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
I have an older 60 inch VIZIO that had this problem when the power indicator was on. When off, it is fine (go to reset and admin settings and make sure power indicator is off).

I appreciate your response Gregka. I already had the power led off. But after your response I tried it with the indicator on with no change in my issue. Thanks for trying!

[Edit] I tried my remote on the display model at BB and it wasn't working on that tv either. So they gave me a replacement remote and it's working great now.

Last edited by Tighe; 03-02-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #2006 of 2952 Old 03-02-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe View Post
I appreciate your response Gregka. I already had the power led off. But after your response I tried it with the indicator on with no change in my issue. Thanks for trying!

[Edit] I tried my remote on the display model at BB and it wasn't working on that tv either. So they gave me a replacement remote and it's working great now.
Great, thanks for posting.
post #2007 of 2952 Old 03-03-2019, 11:45 AM

NHL is on NBC right now in 1080i, checking VIZIO P screen I can see the Dirty Screen Effect (very little but it is there), no vertical lines.
post #2008 of 2952 Old 03-04-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc20112 View Post

That blooming is why I ended up returning my p series. The local dimming is just too aggressive and shows up pretty often.

Watch the opening scene of lost in space on Netflix and look at the lights at the top as the scene pans...

post #2009 of 2952 Old 03-04-2019, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got my replacement P75 today direct from Vizio. New set that was manufactured in Week 1/2019. Very slight DSE effect visible in the most demanding of conditions only and not nearly enough to bother me this time. No vertical banding really visible which was my bigger issue with my initial set. Definitely an improvement over my original so I will be keeping this one!

Last edited by starlan; 03-04-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #2010 of 2952 Old 03-04-2019, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New P65-F1 owner here. Ridiculous improvement to my Vizio P702ui-B3. Beautiful picture 90% of the time using PS4 pro in games and Appletv 4K, cable is an issue as others have discussed. As usual the cable giants are way behind on their equipment, signals and hardware upgrades, nothing new there.

Question though: I’m getting what I’d call static lines that flash randomly while using the Appletv in 4K HDR mode. I bought new HDMI cables and they were worse than my older ones. I’ve ordered some new ones (8K) in hopes that’s the issue. Anyone else know about this and know whether it’s a tv issue or not? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page