Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 676Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2071 of 2904 Old 03-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
I had two vizio p 65 and both did it. Several people said they also had it and a few said they didn't but when I asked them watch these specific clips I think most of them said they did see it just wasn't looking before

I'm very sensitive to it and saw it almost everywhere

If it bothers you I don't think you will get away from it with the vizio


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the local dimming flashing/pulsing can be pretty annoying with certain content I’m finding. Just watched a couple episodes of The Grand Tour in HDR and it was very noticeable in one episode and didn’t even notice it in the other. Pretty content driven but definitely there. As expected much more noticeable on Medium than Low but HDR needs Medium to get the most of it.

Interestingly, Rtings updated their test bench (v1.3 now) and now they do local dimming from an angle and the videos of the local dimming of the P-F1 Series, Sony 900F, TCL 6 series, Samsung Q9FN, etc. have all been updated. If you watch the P-Series you can clearly see the flashing in the white squares as it moves across the screen. Blooming is very low which is great, probably the best of the bunch that I saw but the pulsing is clearly visible.

If you watch the Sony 900F it has no pulsing but has bad blooming vs. the P-Series. I also took a look at the TCL 6 and it has low blooming like the Vizio, probably the 2nd best of the ones I saw but also displays some pulsing although it is more subdued. To me the Samsung Q9FN seems to have the best local dimming (balancing the blooming vs. the pulsing) even though the blooming is a little more than I would like.

Either way my conclusion is that this local dimming business with FALD’s is a compromise inherent with this tech at this point. Maybe they will keep improving it but OLED or Micro LED will always have that advantage. Don’t get me wrong when the image looks good these TV’s all look incredible and much better than my old edge lit Non-4K TV but then comes along some imperfection and it’s worse than my 5 year old TV that didn’t have all this tech and peak picture quality but could display content consistently.
DVD Freaky and chronomac like this.

Last edited by starlan; 03-12-2019 at 08:52 PM.
starlan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2072 of 2904 Old 03-12-2019, 10:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
I had to remount my television when I got a new PQ series. I'm assuming they put the holes in the same area. I had to have the guys come out and remount it lower, because I didn't want it up that high. One thing though, wall mounts usually have a bracket on them that mounts to the television. you can adjust these if it appears to be too high. That should allow you to have the height to your liking.
Yeah the current TV is on the lowest part of the mount and won't go lower, and from that it's 30" from the bottom bolt to ceiling. The mount is pretty high on the wall as it currently just has a 48" TV blah. I mean obviously we can remount, it's just last resort if NECESSARY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlan View Post
Just measured my P75-F1. It's about 32 inches.
Ahh, thank you. If we stick with this I guess we'll have to remount anyways.
teejayiscool is offline  
post #2073 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Member
 
mainlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
This is an interesting topic.

Yes, this is how the TV displays content with the Active Array/Dimming turned on. It's because of the algorithm they use.

No, not every one can see this or care about it if they do.


RTings.com has updated their testing suite due to this:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2018

Update 2/28/2019: Converted to Test Bench 1.3. Learn more about our versioned test bench system here.



I would say this is the way that Rtings.com is acknowledging that their is an issue without damaging their relationship with Vizio. So basically, they're never going to come out and say there's issue, but for those of us who notice it we can't un-notice it.


As for a setting to try, disable the Active Array and turn the backlight up to 80. Then do some A-B testing and see if you can notice a difference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomac View Post
Just to confirm, this is what dimming looks like for everyone?

Bought this TV last night at Costco and have been struggling with it. This is exactly what I see when I turn dimming on Medium. I tried to watch parts of The Martian last night and got really bummed. There's a part where Rich Purnell is walking with a stapler and the camera pans around him and all the walls start strobing. I can't unsee stuff like that. If it's supposed to look like the TCL examples above (with no strobing), I'll just call Vizio and get a replacement.

I had a 2015 M-series and never activated the array dimming and I didn't plan on doing it here either. But I found that if you leave it off Dolby Vision content looks way too dim unless you jack the backlight up to 100. Is that what people are doing, those who aren't using the dimming feature? Is there any other way to make Vision content look good without activating the dimming - like some list of settings that'll do it?

If the answer to my second question is no, and the dimming is supposed to look that faulty, I'm probably just going to take this back. I don't really want a TV that's so handcuffed to a feature that doesn't work consistently.
chronomac likes this.

Last edited by mainlane; 03-13-2019 at 08:51 AM.
mainlane is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2074 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post
BB is weird for me, as it seems I'm already on their s**t list, just for exchanging 2 video games from Xbox to PS4 versions and returning one TV (I bought the other one from a local smaller retailer). I also had ordered a TV stand from them and they inexplicably canceled the delivery on it without telling me, so I canceled the entire order. This all might be because it was within a short time frame. I have been told that I may not be allowed to return or exchange my next product at BB. My thoughts about their return policy are just in general, not because I'm blacklisted.

They use a company called the retail equation that tracks your turn behavior and decides when you shouldn't be allowed to make more returns.

This company is actually used by a lot of large retailers.

My biggest issue with them outside the fact they operate like a black box, is that the store won't tell you you're banned from returns until you are returning an item meaning you might have recently bought several items that suddenly can't be returned.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #2075 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlan View Post
So the local dimming flashing/pulsing can be pretty annoying with certain content I’m finding. Just watched a couple episodes of The Grand Tour in HDR and it was very noticeable in one episode and didn’t even notice it in the other. Pretty content driven but definitely there. As expected much more noticeable on Medium than Low but HDR needs Medium to get the most of it.



Interestingly, Rtings updated their test bench (v1.3 now) and now they do local dimming from an angle and the videos of the local dimming of the P-F1 Series, Sony 900F, TCL 6 series, Samsung Q9FN, etc. have all been updated. If you watch the P-Series you can clearly see the flashing in the white squares as it moves across the screen. Blooming is very low which is great, probably the best of the bunch that I saw but the pulsing is clearly visible.



If you watch the Sony 900F it has no pulsing but has bad blooming vs. the P-Series. I also took a look at the TCL 6 and it has low blooming like the Vizio, probably the 2nd best of the ones I saw but also displays some pulsing although it is more subdued. To me the Samsung Q9FN seems to have the best local dimming (balancing the blooming vs. the pulsing) even though the blooming is a little more than I would like.



Either way my conclusion is that this local dimming business with FALD’s is a compromise inherent with this tech at this point. Maybe they will keep improving it but OLED or Micro LED will always have that advantage. Don’t get me wrong when the image looks good these TV’s all look incredible and much better than my old edge lit Non-4K TV but then comes along some imperfection and it’s worse than my 5 year old TV that didn’t have all this tech and peak picture quality but could display content consistently.


I have decided the test pattern they use for local m dimming just doesn't tell the whole story.

Almost every test pattern I used looked terrible on my 6 series and great on my p series but in real life content the p series was just unwatchable so much of the time.

Yes there is an inherent issue with the technology that's just the nature of it.

I'm interested in micro led but I'm guessing it will have it's own issues. I notice in the big led screens used for advertising often if I move my eyes quickly from one side to another I see tearing sort if similar to rbe in dlp. I have to wonder if that will be an issue in consumer sets.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #2076 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 09:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@THeCozen1 I noticed you have the P65-F1 and the STR-DN1080. I have the same, however I can only get 2.1 audio. I get nothing from my center or rear channels. My main AV sources are the XBox One X, PS4 and a AT&T cable box. I just got the P65-F1, I previously had a Samsung from 2012 and I was able to get full 5.1 channels working. Only thing that changed in my setup was the Vizio. Do you have any issues with your audio? And what audio settings are you using on those systems?
VampireH is offline  
post #2077 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Member
 
chronomac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlane View Post
This is an interesting topic.

Yes, this is how the TV displays content with the Active Array/Dimming turned on. It's because of the algorithm they use.

No, not every one can see this or care about it if they do.


RTings.com has updated their testing suite due to this:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2018

Update 2/28/2019: Converted to Test Bench 1.3. Learn more about our versioned test bench system here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htMA9gOCJrI


I would say this is the way that Rtings.com is acknowledging that their is an issue without damaging their relationship with Vizio. So basically, they're never going to come out and say there's issue, but for those of us who notice it we can't un-notice it.


As for a setting to try, disable the Active Array and turn the backlight up to 80. Then do some A-B testing and see if you can notice a difference.
That is interesting, and more in line with my own findings. Ultimately, I decided to return the TV to the kind folks at Costco. I'm going to take save up a little bit more money and go OLED (ok, so more than a little). I just don't think I'd get used to the dimming pulsing/strobing.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their experience.
chronomac is offline  
post #2078 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 AM
Member
 
heyyoudvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It sounds like I’m in the exact same boat as you. I bought a P Series from Costco after seeing the amazing reviews, particularly from Rtings. The picture looks beautiful in certain instances, but at other times, there’s a lot of backlight weirdness going on. I see flickering, some dirty screen effect, and perhaps most annoyingly, I see faint vertical lines when the screen pans left or right, particularly when there’s a lot of white on screen.

So now I’m on the verge of returning it to Costco, but I can’t decide if I want to just exchange it for another P Series, whether I want to upgrade to something like an X900F or Q8FN, or whether I want to go in on OLED and get an LG B8/C8.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlane View Post
This is an interesting topic.

Yes, this is how the TV displays content with the Active Array/Dimming turned on. It's because of the algorithm they use.

No, not every one can see this or care about it if they do.


RTings.com has updated their testing suite due to this:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2018

Update 2/28/2019: Converted to Test Bench 1.3. Learn more about our versioned test bench system here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htMA9gOCJrI


I would say this is the way that Rtings.com is acknowledging that their is an issue without damaging their relationship with Vizio. So basically, they're never going to come out and say there's issue, but for those of us who notice it we can't un-notice it.


As for a setting to try, disable the Active Array and turn the backlight up to 80. Then do some A-B testing and see if you can notice a difference.
That is interesting, and more in line with my own findings. Ultimately, I decided to return the TV to the kind folks at Costco. I'm going to take save up a little bit more money and go OLED (ok, so more than a little). I just don't think I'd get used to the dimming pulsing/strobing.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their experience.
chronomac likes this.
heyyoudvd is offline  
post #2079 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,194
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlane View Post
This is an interesting topic.

Yes, this is how the TV displays content with the Active Array/Dimming turned on. It's because of the algorithm they use.

No, not every one can see this or care about it if they do.


RTings.com has updated their testing suite due to this:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2018

Update 2/28/2019: Converted to Test Bench 1.3. Learn more about our versioned test bench system here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htMA9gOCJrI


I would say this is the way that Rtings.com is acknowledging that their is an issue without damaging their relationship with Vizio. So basically, they're never going to come out and say there's issue, but for those of us who notice it we can't un-notice it.


As for a setting to try, disable the Active Array and turn the backlight up to 80. Then do some A-B testing and see if you can notice a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomac View Post
That is interesting, and more in line with my own findings. Ultimately, I decided to return the TV to the kind folks at Costco. I'm going to take save up a little bit more money and go OLED (ok, so more than a little). I just don't think I'd get used to the dimming pulsing/strobing.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyoudvd View Post
It sounds like I’m in the exact same boat as you. I bought a P Series from Costco after seeing the amazing reviews, particularly from Rtings. The picture looks beautiful in certain instances, but at other times, there’s a lot of backlight weirdness going on. I see flickering, some dirty screen effect, and perhaps most annoyingly, I see faint vertical lines when the screen pans left or right, particularly when there’s a lot of white on screen.

So now I’m on the verge of returning it to Costco, but I can’t decide if I want to just exchange it for another P Series, whether I want to upgrade to something like an X900F or Q8FN, or whether I want to go in on OLED and get an LG B8/C8.
Whew, good thing I don't watch my p65-F1 from the angle they test at

As long as you can sit somewhere in the sweet spot, and use the settings from Rtings, you should have no problem (again, these are the exact recommended settings from Rtings, but with Active Full Array on low):

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is online now  
post #2080 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 12:02 PM
Member
 
mainlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I couldn't tell the difference with the dimming on or off so I've kept the TV and run it with the dimming off. If I had bought it at full price I would have returned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomac View Post
That is interesting, and more in line with my own findings. Ultimately, I decided to return the TV to the kind folks at Costco. I'm going to take save up a little bit more money and go OLED (ok, so more than a little). I just don't think I'd get used to the dimming pulsing/strobing.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their experience.
mainlane is offline  
post #2081 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DVD Freaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,153
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
They use a company called the retail equation that tracks your turn behavior and decides when you shouldn't be allowed to make more returns.

This company is actually used by a lot of large retailers.

My biggest issue with them outside the fact they operate like a black box, is that the store won't tell you you're banned from returns until you are returning an item meaning you might have recently bought several items that suddenly can't be returned.
Yeah...very true. I guess the person at Customer Service did me a good turn when she said I might not be allowed to return/exchange my next item. That immediately crossed them off my TV Buying List as an option. The hard part is finding another local retailer that has the models I want, in stock. I've heard nightmare stories about Walmart delivery. Not sure how Costco delivery is.
DVD Freaky is offline  
post #2082 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Member
 
mainlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
On the Low setting, doesn't that mean that its only dimming and not brightening?


Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Whew, good thing I don't watch my p65-F1 from the angle they test at

As long as you can sit somewhere in the sweet spot, and use the settings from Rtings, you should have no problem (again, these are the exact recommended settings from Rtings, but with Active Full Array on low):
https://youtu.be/e8UdTonIEuk
mainlane is offline  
post #2083 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 03:59 PM
Member
 
gregka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Whew, good thing I don't watch my p65-F1 from the angle they test at

As long as you can sit somewhere in the sweet spot, and use the settings from Rtings, you should have no problem (again, these are the exact recommended settings from Rtings, but with Active Full Array on low):
https://youtu.be/e8UdTonIEuk
Oh boy, I cannot use these settings, picture is so dark, defeats the purpose of having a bright TV ( might as well get the TCL 4 series). And by selecting "Normal" you get that brown film and whites are no true whites anymore.
My settings ( and work great on a very bright room or a dark room):
off
85 (100 for DV)
50 (45 for DV)
50 (70 for DV)
50 (58 for DV)
0
60 to 30
computer
high
medium
0
0
off
low
low
off
on
auto
2.2
The only issue I have is DSE and that is not noticeable unless I watch a game on ice..

Last edited by gregka; 03-13-2019 at 04:06 PM.
gregka is offline  
post #2084 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyoudvd View Post
It sounds like I’m in the exact same boat as you. I bought a P Series from Costco after seeing the amazing reviews, particularly from Rtings. The picture looks beautiful in certain instances, but at other times, there’s a lot of backlight weirdness going on. I see flickering, some dirty screen effect, and perhaps most annoyingly, I see faint vertical lines when the screen pans left or right, particularly when there’s a lot of white on screen.

So now I’m on the verge of returning it to Costco, but I can’t decide if I want to just exchange it for another P Series, whether I want to upgrade to something like an X900F or Q8FN, or whether I want to go in on OLED and get an LG B8/C8.

If you can deal with the local dimmimng pulsing and strobing them I think you could panel lottery your way into a good set.

The local dimmimng though I think it's just that way for everyone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #2085 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyoudvd View Post
It sounds like I’m in the exact same boat as you. I bought a P Series from Costco after seeing the amazing reviews, particularly from Rtings. The picture looks beautiful in certain instances, but at other times, there’s a lot of backlight weirdness going on. I see flickering, some dirty screen effect, and perhaps most annoyingly, I see faint vertical lines when the screen pans left or right, particularly when there’s a lot of white on screen.

So now I’m on the verge of returning it to Costco, but I can’t decide if I want to just exchange it for another P Series, whether I want to upgrade to something like an X900F or Q8FN, or whether I want to go in on OLED and get an LG B8/C8.

If you can deal with the local dimmimng pulsing and strobing them I think you could panel lottery your way into a good set.

The local dimmimng though I think it's just that way for everyone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #2086 of 2904 Old 03-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Member
 
valerianf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
As DVD Freaky said, there is a problem with Walmart delivery.
My first P55-F1 was let in front of my apartment door, without any signature.
But the box was shocked, and the front glass broken.
Hopefully, I got an exchange from Walmart and the second unit is working as expected.
valerianf is offline  
post #2087 of 2904 Old 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM
Newbie
 
square_one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1541 View Post
Along with my P75-F1, I have an Nvidia Shield TV and a Yamaha RX-v683
What is the best way to deal with upscaling?
Should the receiver do it or should I have the TV handle it?
My current setup is Shield --> Yamaha --> Vizio
Would Nvidia direct to the Vizio do a better job and if so, how could I retain ATMOS sound? I don't think ARC passes ATMOS back to the receiver.
you can use an hdmi extractor like this to send video to the tv and (lossless) audio to the avr.

https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Extrac...8-1-spons&th=1
square_one is offline  
post #2088 of 2904 Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DVD Freaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,153
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
All this talk about Local Dimming issues is making me nervous, as the P65-F1 might be my next TV. I had bad issues with dimming on the Samsung NU8000 that I ended up returning. I am somewhat hearing impaired and do rely heavily on subtitles. When subtitles would appear on the Samsung, the ENTIRE screen brightness would go up. When the subtitles would disappear, the screen brightness would go back down. Especially bad on Netflix. Very annoying for a dark-lit show. Good test is the first 10 minutes of episode one of "Haunting of Hill House". Was basically unwatchable. I emailed Daniel O'Keeffe at rtings.com and he confirmed that the poor Local Dimming of that Samsung would cause issues like that.

So, if this P Series is also poor for Local Dimming, sounds like I may run into this subtitle issue, or other related issues. You can completely turn off Local Dimming on this TV, correct? Of course, that would also defeat the purpose of having this TV.

Do the TV's Dimming issues affect gaming also, or just viewing content? Is it only streaming content? Blu-Rays usually perform better, in some cases I read about online...not sure if this is compression-related.

Last edited by DVD Freaky; 03-14-2019 at 12:37 PM.
DVD Freaky is offline  
post #2089 of 2904 Old 03-14-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post
All this talk about Local Dimming issues is making me nervous, as the P65-F1 might be my next TV. I had bad issues with dimming on the Samsung NU8000 that I ended up returning. I am somewhat hearing impaired and do rely heavily on subtitles. When subtitles would appear on the Samsung, the ENTIRE screen brightness would go up. When the subtitles would disappear, the screen brightness would go back down. Especially bad on Netflix. Very annoying for a dark-lit show. Good test is the first 10 minutes of episode one of "Haunting of Hill House". Was basically unwatchable. I emailed Daniel O'Keeffe at rtings.com and he confirmed that the poor Local Dimming of that Samsung would cause issues like that.



So, if this P Series is also poor for Local Dimming, sounds like I may run into this subtitle issue, or other related issues. You can completely turn off Local Dimming on this TV, correct? Of course, that would also defeat the purpose of having this TV.



Do the TV's Dimming issues affect gaming also, or just viewing content? Is it only streaming content? Blu-Rays usually perform better, in some cases I read about online...not sure if this is compression-related.


I didn't see any major issues specific to sub titles.

The issue I had was that the blooming artifacting from the local dimmimng was distracting quite often and felt bad to my eyes kind of like a flickering flourescent light can bug yours eyes.

If you don't see or notice it then it's a great picture but if you do I think it's a deal breaker.

You can see videos of it in my earlier posts.

I found it to be much less of an issue in gaming however I usually turn it off for gaming to make sure I have the lowest latency.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #2090 of 2904 Old 03-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
getbigg21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is anyone having lip sync issues still with Dolby Vision 4K content? I have hte 65 inch model and I cannot get it to correctly. It only happens on Dolby Vision content.
getbigg21 is online now  
post #2091 of 2904 Old 03-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post
All this talk about Local Dimming issues is making me nervous, as the P65-F1 might be my next TV. I had bad issues with dimming on the Samsung NU8000 that I ended up returning. I am somewhat hearing impaired and do rely heavily on subtitles. When subtitles would appear on the Samsung, the ENTIRE screen brightness would go up. When the subtitles would disappear, the screen brightness would go back down. Especially bad on Netflix. Very annoying for a dark-lit show. Good test is the first 10 minutes of episode one of "Haunting of Hill House". Was basically unwatchable. I emailed Daniel O'Keeffe at rtings.com and he confirmed that the poor Local Dimming of that Samsung would cause issues like that.

So, if this P Series is also poor for Local Dimming, sounds like I may run into this subtitle issue, or other related issues. You can completely turn off Local Dimming on this TV, correct? Of course, that would also defeat the purpose of having this TV.

Do the TV's Dimming issues affect gaming also, or just viewing content? Is it only streaming content? Blu-Rays usually perform better, in some cases I read about online...not sure if this is compression-related.
Subtitles are fine. The entire screen does not change in brightness up or down with subtitles. For gaming the set is quite good. I don't really notice any issues with gaming except some DSE if you play Red Ded Redemption 2 with all of its snowy/blue sky scenery but otherwise I think it is solid for gaming. Input lag is also pretty low at 27ms even with HDR.
DVD Freaky and galonzo like this.
starlan is offline  
post #2092 of 2904 Old 03-14-2019, 05:55 PM
Member
 
THeCozen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireH View Post
@THeCozen1 I noticed you have the P65-F1 and the STR-DN1080. I have the same, however I can only get 2.1 audio. I get nothing from my center or rear channels. My main AV sources are the XBox One X, PS4 and a AT&T cable box. I just got the P65-F1, I previously had a Samsung from 2012 and I was able to get full 5.1 channels working. Only thing that changed in my setup was the Vizio. Do you have any issues with your audio? And what audio settings are you using on those systems?

I have no issues with 5.1. Maybe start with the Vizio audio settings since that is the only change in your setup.


I have all devices plugged HDMI into the Sony AVR with one HDMI out from AVR to the ARC input on TV.


Vizio TV audio settings:
Speakers: Off
Volume control display: on
Volume Leveling: off
Digital Audio Out: PCM
Analog Audio Out: Fixed
galonzo likes this.

Panasonic 55VT50 - Yamaha RX-V477 - Energy Take Classic 5.1
Vizio P65-F1 - Sony STR-DN1080 - Klipsch CDT2650 5.1 - Sony UBP‑X800
THeCozen1 is offline  
post #2093 of 2904 Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DVD Freaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,153
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
I didn't see any major issues specific to sub titles.

The issue I had was that the blooming artifacting from the local dimmimng was distracting quite often and felt bad to my eyes kind of like a flickering flourescent light can bug yours eyes.

If you don't see or notice it then it's a great picture but if you do I think it's a deal breaker.

You can see videos of it in my earlier posts.

I found it to be much less of an issue in gaming however I usually turn it off for gaming to make sure I have the lowest latency.
Thanks...that's good to know. I will watch some of your videos. How far back did you post them?
You told me how to turn off Local Dimming for the TCL 6...how do you turn it off completely on the P Series?

Concerning gaming, I have seen some videos on YouTube of "flashing" during gaming and/or movies on the P Series. Is this what you're talking about? The poster claimed he got rid of it by disabling the YCC 4:2:2 setting on his Xbox One X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlan View Post
Subtitles are fine. The entire screen does not change in brightness up or down with subtitles. For gaming the set is quite good. I don't really notice any issues with gaming except some DSE if you play Red Ded Redemption 2 with all of its snowy/blue sky scenery but otherwise I think it is solid for gaming. Input lag is also pretty low at 27ms even with HDR.
I'm glad you are not seeing the subtitle/screen brightness issue either. That would have been a deal breaker for me. I think when all things are going well with the Vizio, the picture is amazing. I'm a bit concerned with what Dev said about his videos...and will try to backtrack and watch some of them.

Last edited by DVD Freaky; 03-14-2019 at 11:39 PM.
DVD Freaky is offline  
post #2094 of 2904 Old 03-15-2019, 06:43 AM
Member
 
gregka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbigg21 View Post
Is anyone having lip sync issues still with Dolby Vision 4K content? I have hte 65 inch model and I cannot get it to correctly. It only happens on Dolby Vision content.
go to system/reset and admin/store demo....select it, now check again, if ok disable store demo.
if it fails, try reset to factory settings
if it fails, return it or try with an Amazon 4k Fire TV stick.
gregka is offline  
post #2095 of 2904 Old 03-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Senior Member
 
getbigg21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregka View Post
go to system/reset and admin/store demo....select it, now check again, if ok disable store demo.
if it fails, try reset to factory settings
if it fails, return it or try with an Amazon 4k Fire TV stick.
Why would I resort to using an Amazon 4K Fire TV Stick? This is happening on 4K Dolby Discs and through the Apple TV 4K. Amazon doesn't really have any dolby vision movies/shows.
getbigg21 is online now  
post #2096 of 2904 Old 03-15-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Devedander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post
Thanks...that's good to know. I will watch some of your videos. How far back did you post them?

You told me how to turn off Local Dimming for the TCL 6...how do you turn it off completely on the P Series?



Concerning gaming, I have seen some videos on YouTube of "flashing" during gaming and/or movies on the P Series. Is this what you're talking about? The poster claimed he got rid of it by disabling the YCC 4:2:2 setting on his Xbox One X.





I'm glad you are not seeing the subtitle/screen brightness issue either. That would have been a deal breaker for me. I think when all things are going well with the Vizio, the picture is amazing. I'm a bit concerned with what Dev said about his videos...and will try to backtrack and watch some of them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NYhg8W_uX7ZrcL

In the imaging menu there is a setting for it I think it's just called local dimmimng... Either way it's really easy to turn off



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DVD Freaky likes this.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D

Gaming and VR videos: www.youtube.com/user/Devedander
Devedander is offline  
post #2097 of 2904 Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 AM
Member
 
gregka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbigg21 View Post
Why would I resort to using an Amazon 4K Fire TV Stick? This is happening on 4K Dolby Discs and through the Apple TV 4K. Amazon doesn't really have any dolby vision movies/shows.
It has nothing to do with Amazon movies. I thought you were only using the TV for Dolby Vision but as you say you have also tried with the Aplle TV 4K and still you have the issue, so it is definitely a TV issue. So, by now you prob know if switching to demo mode or resetting the TV has resolved your issue.

Last edited by gregka; 03-15-2019 at 09:36 AM.
gregka is offline  
post #2098 of 2904 Old 03-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Member
 
kateyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So does the 65 P have 120 Hz or 240? I'm seeing 240 Hz on Vizio, but Rtings has it at 120. Is it that Rtings listing is native and Vizio says it is 240 hz because of some other features that makes it do 240? Important because I was considering getting the E series and Rtings vs Vizio does the same thing. Except it is 60 vs 120. $150 isn't going to break the bank in difference, but the E series is 70" and the P is 65". We watch sports a lot so the 60Hz is a no go and would rule out going for the less expensive set.

I'm sitting about 10 feet from the tv and from the 2 places I viewed the tv, I couldn't really see a huge difference. However, neither tv was showing sports (of course).

Somewhat off topic at what internet speed does one need to see 4K? Is it that I need my streaming device/tv to do the upscaling? I can't really test out the tv fully without a 4k source which I don't have. Don't really want to buy a 4k player.
kateyes is offline  
post #2099 of 2904 Old 03-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Member
 
mainlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
The P series is 120hz. E and M series are 60hz.

The marketing dept doubles those numbers and puts it on the advertising materials.


Streaming 4K isn't a hard and fast number. I haven't measured mine but a quick google shows that Netflix recommends 25 mbit/sec download or higher. I've seen some people report that youtube can stream in the 50 mbits/sec range on certain titles. It really depends on the bitrate the video was encoded at.

So, lets say you probably need a 50 mbit/sec connection to stream 4K and also have leftover bandwidth for the other devices in your house to have an enjoyable experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyes View Post
So does the 65 P have 120 Hz or 240? I'm seeing 240 Hz on Vizio, but Rtings has it at 120. Is it that Rtings listing is native and Vizio says it is 240 hz because of some other features that makes it do 240? Important because I was considering getting the E series and Rtings vs Vizio does the same thing. Except it is 60 vs 120. $150 isn't going to break the bank in difference, but the E series is 70" and the P is 65". We watch sports a lot so the 60Hz is a no go and would rule out going for the less expensive set.

I'm sitting about 10 feet from the tv and from the 2 places I viewed the tv, I couldn't really see a huge difference. However, neither tv was showing sports (of course).

Somewhat off topic at what internet speed does one need to see 4K? Is it that I need my streaming device/tv to do the upscaling? I can't really test out the tv fully without a 4k source which I don't have. Don't really want to buy a 4k player.
kateyes likes this.
mainlane is offline  
post #2100 of 2904 Old 03-15-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DVD Freaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,153
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post
Thanks...that's good to know. I will watch some of your videos. How far back did you post them?

You told me how to turn off Local Dimming for the TCL 6...how do you turn it off completely on the P Series?



Concerning gaming, I have seen some videos on YouTube of "flashing" during gaming and/or movies on the P Series. Is this what you're talking about? The poster claimed he got rid of it by disabling the YCC 4:2:2 setting on his Xbox One X.





I'm glad you are not seeing the subtitle/screen brightness issue either. That would have been a deal breaker for me. I think when all things are going well with the Vizio, the picture is amazing. I'm a bit concerned with what Dev said about his videos...and will try to backtrack and watch some of them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NYhg8W_uX7ZrcL

In the imaging menu there is a setting for it I think it's just called local dimmimng... Either way it's really easy to turn off



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw the videos. I don't see how anyone could miss that annoying effect. Is that pulsing/flashing eliminated if you turn off Local Dimming? Is this just a case of Panel Lottery variance or will that pulsing be on every P Series? Looks horrible there.
DVD Freaky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off