Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 676Likes

post #2431 of 2904 Old 04-29-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdolph55 View Post
Good Point. I have 1Gb service from Xfinity and when running speed tests with Ookla I see 476Mbps download. It's a brand new installation, equipment is latest and greatest (according to Xfinity). Anything else, please ask. I love the picture on it when watching movies, but live sports is killing me.
Is that live sports through Con'cast? They slice and dice to squeeze as many prepaid WWWF channels as possible. Even a 10G WAN will not help. Have you tried sports via OTA? Preferably, CBS or NBC since those are 1080p. OTA is far superior to cable crap. Please report back after you try OTA.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrizzzz View Post
I'm not totally sure I believe that. I'll give it a try on calibrated dark and see what happens. The dark scenes weren't as bad on my P65-C1 or the KS8000 samsung, but I only checked briefly.
You could be right, I honestly don't watch GOT, I was basing that on other things I have watched that are what I call stupid dark, that are dark for no reason IMO. As I said there were a couple of episodes of Walking Dead, where for a good 20 or 30 minutes you couldn't see much of ANYTHING on the screen, but you knew stuff was happening. Maybe it was intentional to build suspense, maybe not, but I find it VERY frustrating when scenes are so dark that you can't even tell whats happening. That's probably why I run my tv's a bit on the bright side
post #2433 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you subscribe to StarZ ... watch The Producers (2005) ... black looks gray. It’s not the movie itself - the Blu-ray looks solid. It’s the way every streamer codes their stuff. Very frustrating. NTSC - Not The Same Color Twice.
maverikm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
I'm pretty sure that the purple blot thing you are seeing watching DV through your Apple TV is an Apple TV issue. I don't know the specifics, but people on here solved it by upgrading to the latest beta OS on their ATVs.

Unfortunately, it's not. It's a problem on all sources, including the native app. I got the Vizio update last night, and it doesn't fix it.

I'd really like to know if this is something that every one of these sets has, but people don't notice it because its only certain content? Or if it's something I should look to make a warranty claim on.

The Netflix show Chambers just provided the best (worst) example yet. About four minutes into the first episode when they go into the dark furniture store to have sex, as soon as they close the door behind them and are in the dark, his shirt basically washes out dark purple. It's more than the color just being off, it basically looks like the entire area has been blanked out in MS Paint. There's not detail, it's just a flat area. It's really pretty bad throughout that scene.

Are other people not seeing this? If someone doesn't mind looking at that scene in the native netflix app, I would really appreciate feedback.

I'm very frustrated with this. I can set the Apple TV to output HDR10 and it doesn't have the problem. But I upgraded to this TV to get DV and I'm irritated I can't use it, at least some of the time.

Edit to add photos. The first one is SLIGHTLY more dramatic in the photo than real life, but its still very noticeable. The second two are more representative of the picture, but the first one is the most illustrative because it exactly tracks his shirt, and excludes his arm. Crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	2560432   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	2560434   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	2560436  

Last edited by nclou; 04-30-2019 at 08:22 AM.
post #2435 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
The Netflix show Chambers just provided the best (worst) example yet. About four minutes into the first episode when they go into the dark furniture store to have sex, as soon as they close the door behind them and are in the dark, his shirt basically washes out dark purple. It's more than the color just being off, it basically looks like the entire area has been blanked out in MS Paint. There's not detail, it's just a flat area. It's really pretty bad throughout that scene.

Are other people not seeing this? If someone doesn't mind looking at that scene in the native netflix app, I would really appreciate feedback.

I'm very frustrated with this. I can set the Apple TV to output HDR10 and it doesn't have the problem. But I upgraded to this TV to get DV and I'm irritated I can't use it, at least some of the time.
I just tested this DV scene from Netflix on my setup - Netflix -> 100mb/s -> ATV4k (12.2.1) -> certified HDMI -> Denon 3400 -> P75-F1 (2.1.7.1)

There is zero (I do mean zero) issues. It's pristine. Zero crush. Zero purple hues. I could see the dude's skin tone and red underwear during the dark scene.

Last edited by umenon; 04-30-2019 at 08:14 AM.
post #2436 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
@nclou , confirmed (same issue here) in the native app, as well as when using the ATV4K in DV

ATV4K straight into the P65-F1

@umenon , what about when you use the native app?

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #2437 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
@nclou , confirmed (same issue here) in the native app, as well as when using the ATV4K in DV

He said he had issues from ATV4k as well. Before I test out with the native app ... how about folks having issues give us precise details (like I did) on their setup.

Last edited by umenon; 04-30-2019 at 09:11 AM.
post #2438 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
He said he had issues from ATV4k as well. Before I test out with the native app ... how about folks having issues give us precise details (like I did) on their setup.
Erm no, he kindly asked,
Quote:
This is the cable between my ATV and my P65-F1, this is the speed I'm getting at the native app:

Name:	NF_netCheck.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	2560456

and this is the speed I'm getting at the router (via this MBPro):

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 12.12.45 PM.png
Views:	30
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	2560458

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
post #2439 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I just tested this DV scene from Netflix on my setup - Netflix -> 100mb/s -> ATV4k (12.2.1) -> certified HDMI -> Denon 3400 -> P75-F1 (2.1.7.1)

There is zero (I do mean zero) issues. It's pristine. Zero crush. Zero purple hues. I could see the dude's skin tone and red underwear during the dark scene.

Thanks...I'm very pleased (and surprised) you're not seeing this. That's good news.

My setup is ATV4K - certified HDMI - Denon AVR-X1400H - P65-F1.

The thing is though, this is the same whether on the native app or the ATV4, so I don't think any of that matters. I specifically was thinking someone could check on the native app so we could set those path issues aside.

HOWEVER...I do not have 100mbs...more like 25mbs, and that could be relevant. I don't have any issues with any other aspects of speed...no buffering, image issues, anything. So maybe there's something to that, that SOME DV content (because it's not everything) is choking? It's very strange, because literally nothing else is choking, but at least it's something to consider.

@galanz o, what is your speed?

There has to be some reason some of us have this problem, and others don't. If it's a defect that's one thing, but would definitely like to eliminate other factors, because my set doesn't have some of the notorious screen issues others have.

Thank you very, very much for both of you checking.
post #2440 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just checked the native app as well. No issues. No purple hues. DV content is a tad bit (very slight) darker than DV via ATV. Again, I am on 2.1.7.1

Last edited by umenon; 04-30-2019 at 09:33 AM.
post #2441 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
This is the cable between my ATV and my P65-F1, this is the speed I'm getting at the native app:
Attachment 2560456

Attachment 2560458

Hmm...so this wipes out the idea that it could be bandwidth related. Thanks @galanz o.

This is definitely something that is affecting some people, but it must not be affecting enough for it to get any critical mass. Sounds like it would have to be a defect...I wish there was some way to know, or someone could report that they solved it.
post #2442 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Just checked the native app as well. No issues. No purple hues. DV content is a tad bit (very slight) darker than DV via ATV. Again, I am on 2.1.7.1

Thank you for checking that.
post #2443 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
P75-F1 GoT brought me here

Chalk me up as another having what seems like issues with dark scenes that became noticeable during the last episode of Game of Thrones. I've noticed that black backgrounds being blotchy before but nothing so bad as that. I had already been using the rtings calibrated dark settings but I never actually checked that the black levels were actually showing up correct.

Thought maybe it could have something to do with the 0-16 blacks showing up in greyscale (pun maybe intended) if it wasn't just that the HBO GO app had some throttling issues. So I pulled up a black level chart on youtube and found that I'd have to move my brightness down to 10 for 0-16 to be indistinguishable. After making that change even other shows were too dark. Am I going down the wrong path here? Are most people using essentially rtings calibration settings with a brightness of 50?

I also have HDR turned on for both the PS4 and TV and recently checked the RGB output on the PS4 to see if setting it to "limited" would help but it didn't seem to.

Note on setup: (I'll check internet speed when I get home but I think it's usually 40Mbps-ish), PS4 (not pro), P75-F1. Room was pitch black.

Any help is appreciated, just let me know if any more info would be useful.
post #2444 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AalumEntropy View Post
So I pulled up a black level chart on youtube and found that I'd have to move my brightness down to 10 for 0-16 to be indistinguishable.
SMH ... something is seriously offkilter here. mine is at 50 and that chart is right on the money. What's your Black Detail (mine: off) and Gamma (mine: 2.2)
post #2445 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
SMH ... something is seriously offkilter here. mine is at 50 and that chart is right on the money. What's your Black Detail (mine: off) and Gamma (mine: 2.2)
Pretty sure those are my settings as well. Here's the link I was using, in case that's helpful:
4K Test Patternn 4K 24fps Black Levels from ISF & Murideo
post #2446 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AalumEntropy View Post
Pretty sure those are my settings as well. Here's the link I was using, in case that's helpful:
4K Test Patternn 4K 24fps Black Levels from ISF & Murideo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWonc5jqbBM
That chart looks jacked up even on my iPhone.

This is what I use ...
galonzo likes this.
post #2447 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Erm no, he kindly asked,

Attachment 2560456

Attachment 2560458

So, since we seem to be in the same boat...what's our next move here?
galonzo likes this.
post #2448 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Here are some of my thoughts/findings on the Game of Thrones issue. I had already posted this in another forum and admitting outright that I sought out and downloaded the best torrent I could find. If torrents aren't allowed to be discussed here, I apologize and I accept the mods deleting this post -

"I did a comparison of this torrent, the feed from the app on my Roku Ultra, the app on my Xbox One S and the replay on cable tv. To further up the ante, I did not perform this test viewing in total darkness, but there was no direct light source near the tv.

The feeds on the apps were the best. My memory may be suspect, but it was slightly better than when I streamed the episode Sunday night. Maybe because millions of people weren't hitting HBO's servers all at once. Sunday night's viewing had minor but noticeable banding in the skies and shots of the distant ground as well as instances of minor macro-blocking especially when Arya was being chased through the halls. However, both banding and macro blocking was much lessened - sometimes to the point where you had to be looking for it to see it - during the repeat viewings on the apps for my test.

The torrent file has very noticeable banding and also macro blocking - especially in the aforementioned scenes with Arya. But the rest of it was fine as far as being able to see what was happening in the dark. The quality might vary from tv to tv.

The quality of the broadcasts on the HBO channel on cable tv remains, well, UGH! Banding, macro blocking, muddiness in the dark. Not only are the cable broadcasts even more compressed than the version on streaming apps, but the fact that 4k TVs have to upconvert this mess makes those flaws all the more apparent. For me, it is near unwatchable for such a critical episode.
"

Now, my P-65 held up pretty well during my initial viewing. For the subsequent test viewings, I also switched from Calibrated Dark (my default) to Calibrated and then back to Calibrated Dark for some comparisons. For the cable broadcast, the sheer level of compression by HBO became readily apparent with Calibrated because there was an uptick in the level of macro blocking, pixelation and a washed out look on clothing and walls.
post #2449 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
That chart looks jacked up even on my iPhone.

This is what I use ...
Honestly, that makes me feel better. Thought I was going crazy, although the white scales seemed right on with the contrast setting at 50 (again, the default rtings calibration). I'll check this out tonight.

Hopefully this is mostly a compression issue and not anything to do with my TV, but it was a little disappointing given that this should be a pretty solid picture even if it's not OLED. I'll have to keep my eyes open and see if I notice it on other shows. Might be I'll try that Netflix Chambers scene someone else had issues with to compare. FWIW bright scenes and colors look great it really is just the dark scenes. I seem to notice it the most when it's a closeup with dark backgrounds. Could something else be causing that?

Thanks again.
post #2450 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Is that live sports through Con'cast? They slice and dice to squeeze as many prepaid WWWF channels as possible. Even a 10G WAN will not help. Have you tried sports via OTA? Preferably, CBS or NBC since those are 1080p. OTA is far superior to cable crap. Please report back after you try OTA.
NO to Comcast or any cable box. All I have is a wireless Gateway from Xfinity, no STB. I only Cast or Stream thru Apps, for TV channels. I can't go OTA as we live on the Jersey Shore facing the Ocean and would get zero OTA channels.
BryanSD likes this.
post #2451 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, since we seem to be in the same boat...what's our next move here?
Great question. I suppose we should wait to hear if others are affected, and another thought is that it sounds like the panel size may have something to do with it (again, 65" here).

post #2452 of 2904 Old 04-30-2019, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Unfortunately, it's not. It's a problem on all sources, including the native app. I got the Vizio update last night, and it doesn't fix it.

I'd really like to know if this is something that every one of these sets has, but people don't notice it because its only certain content? Or if it's something I should look to make a warranty claim on.

Edit to add photos. The first one is SLIGHTLY more dramatic in the photo than real life, but its still very noticeable. The second two are more representative of the picture, but the first one is the most illustrative because it exactly tracks his shirt, and excludes his arm. Crazy.
I am editing my message as I also noticed the blue/purple color on their clothes. It happened only when I used NETFLIX thru the TV (native), when I use it thru my 4K Firestick color looks much better. I always use the firestick so I would had never noticed it otherwise. I am sure others have the same issue. DV thru the TV seems slightly less bright to me (same settings thru NETFLIX firestick and NETFLIX TV). Here are my pictures: 1. DV from Firestick, 2. DV from TV
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	889.1 KB
ID:	2560884   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	857.3 KB
ID:	2560890  
nclou and galonzo like this.

Last edited by gregka; 04-30-2019 at 09:18 PM.
post #2453 of 2904 Old 05-01-2019, 06:52 AM

In case anyone is interested in an update: I'm pretty convinced this was an HBO/HBOGO/Comcast issue and not necessarily a problem with the TV. Rechecked settings with a different black scale and that looked good. Decided to upgrade test the upgrade to 4K on Netflix and tested out the native app and that looks great. Rewatched the epsiode on HBO GO through PS4 and it didn't look nearly as bad as when it aired but still not "perfect". Download speeds, at least last night, were at 35Mbps+.
post #2454 of 2904 Old 05-01-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, somewhat new vizio TV owner here (P55-F1). I've had it for a few months and I'm very happy with it so far but I've run into an issue when I try to watch things from my laptop. I'm connecting my laptop to the tv using HDMI and when I watch it the picture quality just feels different than when I use the cast feature, netflix or when I play games on my ps4. It's the most noticeable during the action scenes, almost laggy. Any suggestions?
post #2455 of 2904 Old 05-01-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregka View Post
I am editing my message as I also noticed the blue/purple color on their clothes. It happened only when I used NETFLIX thru the TV (native), when I use it thru my 4K Firestick color looks much better. I always use the firestick so I would had never noticed it otherwise. I am sure others have the same issue. DV thru the TV seems slightly less bright to me (same settings thru NETFLIX firestick and NETFLIX TV). Here are my pictures: 1. DV from Firestick, 2. DV from TV

Yep you've got it too. I wonder why it's an issue on the native app and the Apple TV, and not the FireTV.
post #2456 of 2904 Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Great question. I suppose we should wait to hear if others are affected, and another thought is that it sounds like the panel size may have something to do with it (again, 65" here).

So @gregka is on the list now too. Maybe more will confirm.

I've posted on the Official Vizio reddit, to see if I get any response, or anyone confirms there. I wonder how common it is and people aren't seeing it because they're not watching DV content, or they're just no watching the particular content that's badly affected. But there's clearly something off on how the TV is reading some of the DV data.
galonzo likes this.
post #2457 of 2904 Old 05-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
new firmware out, only thing I saw after the install & reset it seemed to make my HDMI connection even more unstable than before
post #2458 of 2904 Old 05-01-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by man00 View Post
new firmware out, only thing I saw after the install & reset it seemed to make my HDMI connection even more unstable than before
This is exactly why I disconnected my Vizio from the internet, to avoid these unstable firmware updates. Just don't have confidence in them.

Regarding all the compression issues on the apps, I find they vary wildly. I have PS VUE and I find the exact same shows when viewed on standalone apps like HBO NOW are of much better quality. The stuff on the Showtime app is incredible. Watched some of Homeland Season 2, episode 1 and it looks like native 4K/DV premium stuff (though I know it's not). Incredible PQ, especially the outdoor scenes. Crisp, bright, razor-sharp vibrant images. OTOH, the FX + app is disappointing, at least when watching the latest season of American Horror Story. I just think YMMV when it comes to all these apps.

Last edited by DVD Freaky; 05-01-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #2459 of 2904 Old 05-01-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man00 View Post
More recent than 2.1.7.1?
post #2460 of 2904 Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
More recent than 2.1.7.1?
no, guess I was one of the late ones to get it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement