Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 588Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2551 of 2637 Old 05-14-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
umenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 338
I read a review that said the led showing through was a bug in sets released before Nov 2018 but which got fixed. I frankly don't see it. The only thing I don't care for is the quality of upconversion to 4K. But, I have an Apple TV 4K which is amazing in that category. So I don't consider that a big deal.
umenon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2552 of 2637 Old 05-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
MrVizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by karelj View Post
The question is ...which setting looks better to the viewer?
Personally I don't care for '50' or '58'. I go with '0'. DV looks glorious in B&W.
MrVizio is offline  
post #2553 of 2637 Old 05-14-2019, 10:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Well Vizio contacted me today and wouldn't give me an upgrade but offered me a refund. So I took the refund and they are doing a RMA and I have to ship the TV back. Said it would take about 4 weeks to get the check.

So sorry to say I won't be buying another Vizio. Good luck to all of you. I hope you don't have the issues I have had.
gregka likes this.
pvarck31 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2554 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Are they giving you what you paid for the set? Or do they have a value assigned to it in their system?

Also what was the reason for not offering an upgrade? Just current stock?

What will you get to replace it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvarck31 View Post
Well Vizio contacted me today and wouldn't give me an upgrade but offered me a refund. So I took the refund and they are doing a RMA and I have to ship the TV back. Said it would take about 4 weeks to get the check.

So sorry to say I won't be buying another Vizio. Good luck to all of you. I hope you don't have the issues I have had.
cueball73 is offline  
post #2555 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
MASKOAA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
I read a review that said the led showing through was a bug in sets released before Nov 2018 but which got fixed. I frankly don't see it. The only thing I don't care for is the quality of upconversion to 4K. But, I have an Apple TV 4K which is amazing in that category. So I don't consider that a big deal.
Fixed by firmware?
MASKOAA is online now  
post #2556 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 08:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
Are they giving you what you paid for the set? Or do they have a value assigned to it in their system?

Also what was the reason for not offering an upgrade? Just current stock?

What will you get to replace it?
They are giving me what I paid for the set through Amazon. They just told me they couldn't give me an upgrade. Only another new P55. They didn't really give a reason.

As far as what I'm gonna get, I'm not sure right now. I was gonna get the x900f, but I've been reading there are a lot of HDR and DV issues with it. That's important to me so I'm kinda stuck. I don't wanna get the TCL 6 because of the panel issues. Not going through all this again.

My budget is kinda tight so not sure what to do. I know the P series is usually scored better as far as HDR than the low end Samsungs, even the 6Fn's. But not really wanting to go back to Vizio, so I got a decision to make. I like Samsung and feel they are reliable, but as far as HDR on the 6FN and the Q60, I'm kinda stuck in the affordable for the quality issue.

I guess I have to ask myself, will I really notice a difference in Samsung's HDR on those set compared to the P Series. I honestly don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.
pvarck31 is online now  
post #2557 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 30
From the Sets you mentioned there, let’s all be honest about something, the Sony would be the qualitative best… However, I currently have the Samsung Q6FN at 82, and it is an exceptional television if you can find one on clearance. At 75 inches they are 1300. I am considering the pseries at 75 over the Sony at 85 but if I have the same issues I had with my other P series, or decide to 75 is too small after living with the 82, I will return it for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvarck31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
Are they giving you what you paid for the set? Or do they have a value assigned to it in their system?

Also what was the reason for not offering an upgrade? Just current stock?

What will you get to replace it?
They are giving me what I paid for the set through Amazon. They just told me they couldn't give me an upgrade. Only another new P55. They didn't really give a reason.

As far as what I'm gonna get, I'm not sure right now. I was gonna get the x900f, but I've been reading there are a lot of HDR and DV issues with it. That's important to me so I'm kinda stuck. I don't wanna get the TCL 6 because of the panel issues. Not going through all this again.

My budget is kinda tight so not sure what to do. I know the P series is usually scored better as far as HDR than the low end Samsungs, even the 6Fn's. But not really wanting to go back to Vizio, so I got a decision to make. I like Samsung and feel they are reliable, but as far as HDR on the 6FN and the Q60, I'm kinda stuck in the affordable for the quality issue.

I guess I have to ask myself, will I really notice a difference in Samsung's HDR on those set compared to the P Series. I honestly don't know.

Any help would be appreciated.
cueball73 is offline  
post #2558 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
From the Sets you mentioned there, let’s all be honest about something, the Sony would be the qualitative best… However, I currently have the Samsung Q6FN at 82, and it is an exceptional television if you can find one on clearance. At 75 inches they are 1300. I am considering the pseries at 75 over the Sony at 85 but if I have the same issues I had with my other P series, or decide to 75 is too small after living with the 82, I will return it for sure.
Thanks. I was actually just looking at the Q6FN vs the Q60 and basically all the reviews say the Q60 is a step back from the Q60FN due to less HDR peak brightness.

I like Samsung TVs. I had the NU6000 and loved it for what it was, even though the HDR was bad. That's why I went to the P series. I love the OS of the Samsungs. Just buttery smooth. I just wonder how much HDR I'd lose out on going from the P series to the Q6FN. It's a really good price right now.

Also, do you know anything about the new RU8000?
pvarck31 is online now  
post #2559 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 11:05 AM
CFC
Advanced Member
 
CFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInFL View Post
Have had the P75-F1 for a little over a month now. After getting acquainted with the unit, did some minor tweaks and adjusted the picture settings to best fit my viewing room and, overall, pleased with the purchase. Quality and features are a definite step up from previous display.


One area that I wanted to improve was the sound quality. Already have a fairly robust home theater / HiFi system for watching movies, etc but it is overkill for OTA and casual viewing. So, picked up a Yamaha YAS-108 / ATS-1080 sound bar from Amazon. This is a nice unit that supports HDMI/ARC, has HDMI pass thru, optical, RCA / Analogue and BT (will support two devices). Due to the way we want to use the sound bar (and remotes), the preferred method of connection is HDMI / ARC. And the games begin.


Long story short is that I am able to get it to work but it is flaky. Configured thru the HDMI 1 input on the Vizio. Set the "System/CEC" option to "ARC / ONLY" (more on that later). The set will easily "see" the Yamaha while doing a device search thru the System/CEC menu. Typically, when I power up the P75, it will start the sound bar after Vizio completes boot/init. But, there is no volume control. I discovered that if I toggle the power on the Yamaha, everything will work perfectly after the Yamaha comes back up.


At this stage, I'm not sure if the problem is in the Vizio or Yamaha. BTW, I don't think anything has changed on the settings of the Yamaha. There is a "INFO" button on the remote that will activate LED's on the top of the unit to show status. The settings within the Yamaha appear to remain the same before and after toggling the power on the Yamaha. Obviously, I don't want to have to manually toggle the sound bar every time I turn on the unit.


One other item that I discovered in the process is that cable boxes don't seem to play nice with other HDMI devices attached to the Vizio. I was able to get things fairly stable with CEC enabled for a Sony BluRay player until I connected the cable box and it just blew the CEC settings away. Not a big deal because I prefer to use a Logitech 650 Universal Remote for operating peripherals...though it would be nice to have the option to use the Vizio remote.


I think I'm doing it right. Can anyone offer any insights on how to eliminate the need to toggle the power on the Yamaha?
I have the very same soundbar, though I don't use it on my P75, but rather with the set in my bedroom.
I did however run into similar flakiness where sometimes it would power up but not respond to the remote, or rarely not power up and other times not powering down with the TV.
My solution was pretty simply to update to a better HDMI cable. I went with the AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI cable and haven't had an issue since: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8SIJY
Not sure what you're using, but may want to give that a shot.

I do use ARC on my P75 with my Denon receiver (using good quality HDMI cables as well), and it works very well.
Like you, I also ran into an issue using my cable box (a TiVo mini) and CEC. When plugged directly to the TV, or my receiver, it essentially broke all CEC.
I installed a cheap switch in between it and my TV, and that seemed to solve that issue.
CEC can be a bit of pain because not every manufacturer implements it properly.

Hope that helps.

CFC

Signature goes here
CFC is offline  
post #2560 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
 
nclou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
Unfortunately, it's not. It's a problem on all sources, including the native app. I got the Vizio update last night, and it doesn't fix it.


I'd really like to know if this is something that every one of these sets has, but people don't notice it because its only certain content? Or if it's something I should look to make a warranty claim on.


The Netflix show Chambers just provided the best (worst) example yet. About four minutes into the first episode when they go into the dark furniture store to have sex, as soon as they close the door behind them and are in the dark, his shirt basically washes out dark purple. It's more than the color just being off, it basically looks like the entire area has been blanked out in MS Paint. There's not detail, it's just a flat area. It's really pretty bad throughout that scene.



Are other people not seeing this? If someone doesn't mind looking at that scene in the native netflix app, I would really appreciate feedback.


I'm very frustrated with this. I can set the Apple TV to output HDR10 and it doesn't have the problem. But I upgraded to this TV to get DV and I'm irritated I can't use it, at least some of the time.


Edit to add photos. The first one is SLIGHTLY more dramatic in the photo than real life, but its still very noticeable. The second two are more representative of the picture, but the first one is the most illustrative because it exactly tracks his shirt, and excludes his arm. Crazy.

So Vizio sent out a technician to change the board. I was really hesitant about having that done, as nobody at Vizio would consider the problem and say "Yes, we know what that is, and a new board will fix it." It was clearly just a throwaway solution they use for everything that doesn't seem immediately apparent. I also couldn't talk to an actual technician or someone who knew what they were doing, just schedulers and "unplug and plug it back in" first liners. If there was no good reason to take it off the wall and take it apart and replace the board, I didn't really want to do it. There are so many stories about other issues with HDMI inputs and other board-type things, if there's nothing wrong with my board I'd rather keep it and just live with the relatively small slice of content that's affected.

But I let them send a tech out, and showed the situation to him, and he clearly saw the issue, but said it had to be a software thing (which it seems like it must be, it's just a very specific situation the TV is not rendering correctly). He said they replace a lot of boards, but not for specific picture quality issues like that. He was happy to change it, but said he couldn't see it making a difference.

Considering that there are plenty of people seeing this issue, and I've never heard of any of them being resolved, with a new board or otherwise, or any official Vizio recognition of the issue at all, I didn't feel like being a guinea pig for it and opted not to.

Now, seeing @pvarck31 experience, I kind of feel like I should have had them replace it to no avail, as part of the long, arduous process of seeing if they'd eventually offer to refund me. I'm in the same boat of not knowing exactly where I'd go from there though. What are the TCL panel issues, and how bad are they?

Or, since I have a Squaretrade warranty, maybe living with it a year or two until I can try to parlay it into replaced by a newer version or something else.
nclou is offline  
post #2561 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
MrVizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
So Vizio sent out a technician to change the board. I was really hesitant about having that done, as nobody at Vizio would consider the problem and say "Yes, we know what that is, and a new board will fix it." It was clearly just a throwaway solution they use for everything that doesn't seem immediately apparent. I also couldn't talk to an actual technician or someone who knew what they were doing, just schedulers and "unplug and plug it back in" first liners. If there was no good reason to take it off the wall and take it apart and replace the board, I didn't really want to do it. There are so many stories about other issues with HDMI inputs and other board-type things, if there's nothing wrong with my board I'd rather keep it and just live with the relatively small slice of content that's affected.

But I let them send a tech out, and showed the situation to him, and he clearly saw the issue, but said it had to be a software thing (which it seems like it must be, it's just a very specific situation the TV is not rendering correctly). He said they replace a lot of boards, but not for specific picture quality issues like that. He was happy to change it, but said he couldn't see it making a difference.

Considering that there are plenty of people seeing this issue, and I've never heard of any of them being resolved, with a new board or otherwise, or any official Vizio recognition of the issue at all, I didn't feel like being a guinea pig for it and opted not to.

Now, seeing @pvarck31 experience, I kind of feel like I should have had them replace it to no avail, as part of the long, arduous process of seeing if they'd eventually offer to refund me. I'm in the same boat of not knowing exactly where I'd go from there though. What are the TCL panel issues, and how bad are they?

Or, since I have a Squaretrade warranty, maybe living with it a year or two until I can try to parlay it into replaced by a newer version or something else.
From what I remember, similar issues. Uniformity issues. Blooming issues. Etc.

Also keep in mind, I don't think the TCL gets as bright as the Vizio, and the TCL is not a true 120hz set like the Vizo.
MrVizio is offline  
post #2562 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 02:00 PM
Member
 
MacInFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post
I have the Costco version of this Yamaha sound bar. I can't comment regarding controlling the sound bar via CEC as I use a Harmony remote, however, I will say that I have had several issues using HDMI/ARC with my P65 and finally just gave up and use optical. The Smartcast apps, especially Netflix would have the sound stopped midway through, or just not work at all, it was completely random. Had it happen a few times with some other apps and cable box as well. I do have my 4k bluray player connected directly to the sound bar via HDMI, everything else optical as I have disabled ARC/CEC on the Vizio. I know there have been some others that reported some issue with ARC on these sets, however, in this case I think that the fault falls mainly on the Yamaha. I have sporadic issues with no picture via the HDMI passthru sometimes and have to power cycle the sound bar to resolve. If I get ambitious I might try to see if the ARC issues have been resolved with the latest Vizio firmware, however I have been satisfied enough just using optical, and again I think the sound bar is the issue not the Vizio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC View Post
I have the very same soundbar, though I don't use it on my P75, but rather with the set in my bedroom.
I did however run into similar flakiness where sometimes it would power up but not respond to the remote, or rarely not power up and other times not powering down with the TV.
My solution was pretty simply to update to a better HDMI cable. I went with the AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI cable and haven't had an issue since: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8SIJY
Not sure what you're using, but may want to give that a shot.

I do use ARC on my P75 with my Denon receiver (using good quality HDMI cables as well), and it works very well.
Like you, I also ran into an issue using my cable box (a TiVo mini) and CEC. When plugged directly to the TV, or my receiver, it essentially broke all CEC.
I installed a cheap switch in between it and my TV, and that seemed to solve that issue.
CEC can be a bit of pain because not every manufacturer implements it properly.

Hope that helps.

CFC

Thanks for the input. Already tried upgrading cables to latest spec ("Amazon Basics") and didn't stabilize system, same issues. As stated previously, sometimes it would work and other times would require cycling power on the Yamaha sound bar which seemed to fix it temporarily. Also, had similar experiences when streaming content thru the apps. Would be working fine but when changing / starting new media, would lose volume control (happened within Amazon Prime...don't know if Netflix same).


Yesterday, gave up on trying to get the ARC to work and changed everything over to analogue. Discovered that I could automatically power up / down the Yamaha, Vizio and cable through the "System" start of the Spectrum supplied remote and some Sony learning remotes that I have. Chose that over optical because it was simpler to control the volume across the remotes (the Spectrum unit could power the Yamaha on / off but no control of volume). Enabled "Variable" in Vizio menu "Audio/Analog Audio Out" and then cranked up the volume on the Yamaha which allows controlling volume thru the Vizio RCA output jack. Although it is not an elegant solution, the system is now rock solid.


The only problem now is using the Harmony 650. I bought the Harmony primarily to regain control a legacy Sony 400 disc DVD carousel (DVP-CX995V) after a battery leak destroyed the OEM remote. Once I learned all the things the 650 could do, especially simplifying the managing the full home theater system, it became the primary remote. If you are familiar with the 650 you also know that for it to work properly, it needs to be the only remote. So, by enabling the Spectrum and Sony remotes, a new discipline with be required.


All that to say, currently decided "NOT to ARC"). From what I've been able to research, don't believe my experience is all that unusual. ARC is a great idea but seems finicky. May try it again if I upgrade receiver to an HDMI unit which should simplify the setup (I think!).
MacInFL is offline  
post #2563 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Senior Member
 
nclou's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 442
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
From what I remember, similar issues. Uniformity issues. Blooming issues. Etc.

Also keep in mind, I don't think the TCL gets as bright as the Vizio, and the TCL is not a true 120hz set like the Vizo.

Yeah, if I recall it was the 120hz that got me back when I was originally considering the Vizio vs the TCL. Thanks.
galonzo and MrVizio like this.
nclou is offline  
post #2564 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
MrVizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So finally got the 6th P75 replacement. This time directly through Vizio. Its a 2019 build. The jailbar issue isn't as prominent but its still there. But the part thats really bad is the flashlighting effect in a ton of content. It's clear that the FALD is being told to brighten and dim parts of the picture, but is missing the mark dramatically. For example while watching the 4k DV version of The Matrix last night, Neo was walking against a dark BG and you could see a big bright glow about 5 inches outside of his head, following his motion. It's clear that this bright spot was supposed be on his face, as it was the only bright object in the shot. But the FALD is miscalculating it.

And there's numerous spots like this throughout the entire film and various other content. In those rare occasions when this doesn't happen, this TV is just flat out gorgeous. Best bang by far for the buck. But... the issues are there and completely destroy the viewing experience.

So it is with great sadness that my journey must come to an end. I am calling Vizio today and doing a full return. I have an older 55 inch HDR Samsung. Just going to stick that in the living room for now and wait a few months to see if Vizio can get their proverbial crap together for the new line up.
gregka likes this.
MrVizio is offline  
post #2565 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Member
 
gregka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
That's a yuge endorsement! Compared to the OLED. No major issues on dark scenes with light objects showing the backlighting squares switching from section to section? That drover me nuts.
They all have DSE, the question is how much. If can't spot it great, do not look for it. They all have a little dark corners. Everything else, return the TV. Had to go thru several of them, last one directly from VIZIO. 3 months later and barely past the return date (Costco). 65 inch, a great TV for an amazing price 3 months ago, $889.99 and 4 years of free warranty.
galonzo likes this.
gregka is offline  
post #2566 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So tempted to try it out with the 90 day window and low price. Only time will tell if I like the size. Have the 82 now and the only other thing I am considering is the 85" Sony. But the price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregka View Post
They all have DSE, the question is how much. If can't spot it great, do not look for it. They all have a little dark corners. Everything else, return the TV. Had to go thru several of them, last one directly from VIZIO. 3 months later and barely past the return date (Costco). 65 inch, a great TV for an amazing price 3 months ago, $889.99 and 4 years of free warranty.
cueball73 is offline  
post #2567 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 03:38 PM
Member
 
gregka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
So finally got the 6th P75 replacement. This time directly through Vizio. Its a 2019 build. The jailbar issue isn't as prominent but its still there. But the part thats really bad is the flashlighting effect in a ton of content. It's clear that the FALD is being told to brighten and dim parts of the picture, but is missing the mark dramatically. For example while watching the 4k DV version of The Matrix last night, Neo was walking against a dark BG and you could see a big bright glow about 5 inches outside of his head, following his motion. It's clear that this bright spot was supposed be on his face, as it was the only bright object in the shot. But the FALD is miscalculating it.

And there's numerous spots like this throughout the entire film and various other content. In those rare occasions when this doesn't happen, this TV is just flat out gorgeous. Best bang by far for the buck. But... the issues are there and completely destroy the viewing experience.

So it is with great sadness that my journey must come to an end. I am calling Vizio today and doing a full return. I have an older 55 inch HDR Samsung. Just going to stick that in the living room for now and wait a few months to see if Vizio can get their proverbial crap together for the new line up.
Good for you. But I thought you have to return to store where you purchased it from to get you money back, did not know that VIZIO can reimburse you too. Have you looked at the Sammy RU8000 2019 model? Some preliminary reviews rate it higher than the NU8000 and Q6N of 2018. Seen both the 65 and 75 inch at COSTCO.
gregka is offline  
post #2568 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
MrVizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregka View Post
Good for you. But I thought you have to return to store where you purchased it from to get you money back, did not know that VIZIO can reimburse you too. Have you looked at the Sammy RU8000 2019 model? Some preliminary reviews rate it higher than the NU8000 and Q6N of 2018. Seen both the 65 and 75 inch at COSTCO.
Yes, they actually gave me a case number that I gave to Best Buy.

Initially I had grabbed a Sammy 7100. The TV was fine, but the black levels were bad and HDR content was terrible. Worse than my old 6300. My next logical choice was NU8000. But than I saw the Vizio and that it had FALD. The DV was a nice plus. So I never got to try out the 8000.

I had purchased Vizio's very first FALD display in 2009. I think it was the 55XVT? Anyways, I loved that TV, so figured in 2019 Vizio would be much better. But the FALD on all these displays I've received has been incredibly faulty. FALDY

I just love deep black levels for movies in night time viewing. The only current choices are the X900f and the Sammy Q8 and up. They are, as you know, a lot more expensive.

How are the black levels on the 8000 in your opinion compared to the P75? HDR?

I'm not familiar with the RU8000. I'll look into it. But likely I'm going to wait it out for the new Vizio lineup.
MrVizio is offline  
post #2569 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 06:35 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregka View Post
Good for you. But I thought you have to return to store where you purchased it from to get you money back, did not know that VIZIO can reimburse you too. Have you looked at the Sammy RU8000 2019 model? Some preliminary reviews rate it higher than the NU8000 and Q6N of 2018. Seen both the 65 and 75 inch at COSTCO.
Yes, they actually gave me a case number that I gave to Best Buy.

Initially I had grabbed a Sammy 7100. The TV was fine, but the black levels were bad and HDR content was terrible. Worse than my old 6300. My next logical choice was NU8000. But than I saw the Vizio and that it had FALD. The DV was a nice plus. So I never got to try out the 8000.

I had purchased Vizio's very first FALD display in 2009. I think it was the 55XVT? Anyways, I loved that TV, so figured in 2019 Vizio would be much better. But the FALD on all these displays I've received has been incredibly faulty. FALDY [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I just love deep black levels for movies in night time viewing. The only current choices are the X900f and the Sammy Q8 and up. They are, as you know, a lot more expensive.

How are the black levels on the 8000 in your opinion compared to the P75? HDR?

I'm not familiar with the RU8000. I'll look into it. But likely I'm going to wait it out for the new Vizio lineup.
If I where looking of a tv right now for movies I would be really tempted to pick up a Sony x940E. There are still some available on Amazon for about 2300.
Michael Hamner is offline  
post #2570 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
umenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 2,482
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
So finally got the 6th P75 replacement. This time directly through Vizio. Its a 2019 build. The jailbar issue isn't as prominent but its still there. But the part thats really bad is the flashlighting effect in a ton of content. It's clear that the FALD is being told to brighten and dim parts of the picture, but is missing the mark dramatically. For example while watching the 4k DV version of The Matrix last night, Neo was walking against a dark BG and you could see a big bright glow about 5 inches outside of his head, following his motion. It's clear that this bright spot was supposed be on his face, as it was the only bright object in the shot. But the FALD is miscalculating it.

And there's numerous spots like this throughout the entire film and various other content. In those rare occasions when this doesn't happen, this TV is just flat out gorgeous. Best bang by far for the buck. But... the issues are there and completely destroy the viewing experience.

So it is with great sadness that my journey must come to an end. I am calling Vizio today and doing a full return. I have an older 55 inch HDR Samsung. Just going to stick that in the living room for now and wait a few months to see if Vizio can get their proverbial crap together for the new line up.
Yeah. I think you did the right thing. I have a 1080p 47” Walmart refurb Vizio that I bought about 8years ago that still works flawlessly (it outran the 3 yr warranty). Plus three weeks ago I bought a open box P75-F1 for a bargain basement price ... that has no noticeable DSE and has black level that comes very close to OLED (but not quite rivals it). I have been extremely happy with Vizio TVs. This coming from someone who is very picky about PQ and SQ. But everyone has to do what is right for them.
umenon is offline  
post #2571 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 10:37 PM
Member
 
man00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are there a setting to disable up-scaling ? (P65-F1) ?
man00 is offline  
post #2572 of 2637 Old 05-15-2019, 11:47 PM
Member
 
gregka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
Yes, they actually gave me a case number that I gave to Best Buy.

Initially I had grabbed a Sammy 7100. The TV was fine, but the black levels were bad and HDR content was terrible. Worse than my old 6300. My next logical choice was NU8000. But than I saw the Vizio and that it had FALD. The DV was a nice plus. So I never got to try out the 8000.

I had purchased Vizio's very first FALD display in 2009. I think it was the 55XVT? Anyways, I loved that TV, so figured in 2019 Vizio would be much better. But the FALD on all these displays I've received has been incredibly faulty. FALDY

I just love deep black levels for movies in night time viewing. The only current choices are the X900f and the Sammy Q8 and up. They are, as you know, a lot more expensive.

How are the black levels on the 8000 in your opinion compared to the P75? HDR?

I'm not familiar with the RU8000. I'll look into it. But likely I'm going to wait it out for the new Vizio lineup.
All I have read is that the RU8000 is better in pic than the NU8000 - NU8000 had good blacks but not as good as the VIZIO P series. Costco does not have in display the VIZIO P anymore, only the Q (and the RU8000).
gregka is offline  
post #2573 of 2637 Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 6,889
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4881 Post(s)
Liked: 3435
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
Yes, they actually gave me a case number that I gave to Best Buy.



Initially I had grabbed a Sammy 7100. The TV was fine, but the black levels were bad and HDR content was terrible. Worse than my old 6300. My next logical choice was NU8000. But than I saw the Vizio and that it had FALD. The DV was a nice plus. So I never got to try out the 8000.



I had purchased Vizio's very first FALD display in 2009. I think it was the 55XVT? Anyways, I loved that TV, so figured in 2019 Vizio would be much better. But the FALD on all these displays I've received has been incredibly faulty. FALDY



I just love deep black levels for movies in night time viewing. The only current choices are the X900f and the Sammy Q8 and up. They are, as you know, a lot more expensive.



How are the black levels on the 8000 in your opinion compared to the P75? HDR?



I'm not familiar with the RU8000. I'll look into it. But likely I'm going to wait it out for the new Vizio lineup.
Sounds like your sole concern is black level and blooming. You might want to consider OLED.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #2574 of 2637 Old 05-16-2019, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 6,889
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4881 Post(s)
Liked: 3435
Quote:
Originally Posted by man00 View Post
Are there a setting to disable up-scaling ? (P65-F1) ?
You can't bypass it unless something else does it before the signal gets to the TV, otherwise your picture would only fill ¼ if the screen.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
galonzo likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #2575 of 2637 Old 05-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Was that with local dimming on medium or high? I’ve read that medium has less of that issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
So finally got the 6th P75 replacement. This time directly through Vizio. Its a 2019 build. The jailbar issue isn't as prominent but its still there. But the part thats really bad is the flashlighting effect in a ton of content. It's clear that the FALD is being told to brighten and dim parts of the picture, but is missing the mark dramatically. For example while watching the 4k DV version of The Matrix last night, Neo was walking against a dark BG and you could see a big bright glow about 5 inches outside of his head, following his motion. It's clear that this bright spot was supposed be on his face, as it was the only bright object in the shot. But the FALD is miscalculating it.

And there's numerous spots like this throughout the entire film and various other content. In those rare occasions when this doesn't happen, this TV is just flat out gorgeous. Best bang by far for the buck. But... the issues are there and completely destroy the viewing experience.

So it is with great sadness that my journey must come to an end. I am calling Vizio today and doing a full return. I have an older 55 inch HDR Samsung. Just going to stick that in the living room for now and wait a few months to see if Vizio can get their proverbial crap together for the new line up.
cueball73 is offline  
post #2576 of 2637 Old 05-16-2019, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Liquid$team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hamner View Post
I've been messing with this set for a whole now (I'm on my second one in fact after trading one out do to panel uniformity issues on the first one) and wanted to share a few things. For one this tv needs to be left at the medium local dimming setting to properly track the hdr eotf. Also it will need to be in the medium or high setting to get bright enough for hdr. The low setting is sdr only and caps the light out put at somwhere close to 400 nits if I remember correctly. High shouldn't be used as it overshoots the eotf by a little and adds more blooming. Contrast backlight and brightness need to be left at 50 for hdr to be accurate. Sharpness should be at 0. you can't add sharpness that isn't already part of the signal and all that this setting will do is add artifacts that make it seem sharper but it doesn't actually add any detail to the picture.all settings not specifically mentioned or ilistrated in screenshots should be off. I did a full sdr calibration on the TV targeting 100nit light out put at 100 ire and got all measurements bellow Delta e of 3 in color and much lower than that for grayscale blue is somewhat troublesome on this display as seems to be the case with alot of displays. I targeted BT 1886 for the gamma curve. I attempted to do an HDR calibration and I managed to get good looking charts but terrible looking pictures so what I ended up doing is transferring my SDR settings over to HDR and the end result was beautiful. I cannot confirm if it's actually calibrated per say but I have trained eyes and I can tell a accurate image from an inaccurate one and to my eye this looks excellent certainly much better than default settings with nothing looking unatural. I would recommend people who have the equipment that are having trouble with HDR calibration to try this approach and tell me what they think maybe my issue was that I was using HDR patterns on a USB stick plugged into the USB port on the TV. it seems a little glitchy. For SDR I used a 4k firestick as the patter generator along with Calman's mobileforge software pattern generator. I will share my settings here for anybody who is interested however take it with a grain of salt as every TV is different due to manufacturing tolerances even across the same models. FYI I calibrated my TV using calman software and an eye One display LT colorimeter profiled with a Eye one pro spectroradiometer
First... Love the name! Hilarious. I almost spit out my drink as I read it lol.

Second off thank you very much for sharing your settings. I have had some picture issues with my set and it will be nice to try some proven settings vs me just eyeballing it.
Liquid$team is online now  
post #2577 of 2637 Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey everyone, I have a P55-F1 on its way as they were on sale at Costco. I tried to do some reading of this thread but didn't find anything (yet) pertaining to my question.

Will the optical or HDMI(ARC) sound level to my sound bar be controllable with the TV remote?

I read in the user manual that the RCA out level can be controlled to the sound bar using the TV remote, but couldn't clarify if this is also the case with either the optical out or the ARC.

Currently have a Samsung TV and sound bar, so the TV remote controls both which is obviously convenient. Sound bar is only 2.1, using the RCA probably wouldn't be too much of a quality difference, but then I'm unclear if I lose the power on/off sensing feature that I currently use through the optical port to turn the bar on and off automatically.

Thanks for any info you guys can toss my way. I'll continue reading!

Cheers.
Karl Daigle is offline  
post #2578 of 2637 Old 05-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
MrVizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Sounds like your sole concern is black level and blooming. You might want to consider OLED.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
I have considered it. But I don't have 5k for the 77 incher.
MrVizio is offline  
post #2579 of 2637 Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
MrVizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
Was that with local dimming on medium or high? I’ve read that medium has less of that issue?
Low and medium. The issue was there no matter what. Unless I turned off local dimming. But that defeats the purpose of getting this TV
MrVizio is offline  
post #2580 of 2637 Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 PM
Senior Member
 
MrVizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
First... Love the name! Hilarious. I almost spit out my drink as I read it lol.

Second off thank you very much for sharing your settings. I have had some picture issues with my set and it will be nice to try some proven settings vs me just eyeballing it.
Yeah, I tried his settings and actually really like them. Seemed a little dull at first, but once my eyes got used to it, I loved it! Of course, every set varies.
MrVizio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off