Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 673Likes

post #2581 of 2861 Old 05-16-2019, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is there a way to roll back firmware from the beta version? I downloaded the beta thinking it would work on iOS 12.3 since it needed the beta of iOS 12.3 which introduced HomeKit integration for TV’s but apparently the TV’s beta firmware is only compatible with iOS betas and not final releases so the airplay feature doesn’t work on the public release of 12.3 which I am on. I don’t want to install iOS 12.4 beta on my phone so want to see if there is a way to roll back the TV to official release 2.1.7.1 which is the latest stable release at this time. I’ve emailed vizio to opt out but no response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Hey guys. I'm about to pull the trigger on the P75 and have a couple of questions.

I hear a lot of people complaining that the FALD technology on the P series is really bad. Unusual amounts of blooming, many of the lights "chasing" objects on the screen, flickering when panning/transitioning, jail bars because of the FALD zones being visible especially on pure white backgrounds, things like that.

Is this a per panel problem, or a problem with the television in general?
post #2583 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Fair question. I had one 6 months ago. Returned for those issues. My current set is dead so back considering it again due to price.

That or $2000 more for the 85” Sony! 🤓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewtato View Post
Hey guys. I'm about to pull the trigger on the P75 and have a couple of questions.

I hear a lot of people complaining that the FALD technology on the P series is really bad. Unusual amounts of blooming, many of the lights "chasing" objects on the screen, flickering when panning/transitioning, jail bars because of the FALD zones being visible especially on pure white backgrounds, things like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Daigle View Post
Hey everyone, I have a P55-F1 on its way as they were on sale at Costco. I tried to do some reading of this thread but didn't find anything (yet) pertaining to my question.

Will the optical or HDMI(ARC) sound level to my sound bar be controllable with the TV remote?

I read in the user manual that the RCA out level can be controlled to the sound bar using the TV remote, but couldn't clarify if this is also the case with either the optical out or the ARC.

Currently have a Samsung TV and sound bar, so the TV remote controls both which is obviously convenient. Sound bar is only 2.1, using the RCA probably wouldn't be too much of a quality difference, but then I'm unclear if I lose the power on/off sensing feature that I currently use through the optical port to turn the bar on and off automatically.

Thanks for any info you guys can toss my way. I'll continue reading!

Cheers.
Hello and welcome! Yes, I use optical with a soundbar, and whether I use the Vizio remote, TiVo remote, or the Apple TV remote, the volume controls the soundbar volume, as well as auto-powering on and off (just like on my Sammy with soundbar, see sig).
Karl Daigle likes this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #2585 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

That's tricky to answer. I went through six P75's and they all had these issues. Than you have people on here who received a TV without issues after a few tries or right from the start. To me its an issue with them all, or at least the majority. But that's my biased opinion based on my experience. Others may disagree, but I am at the point where I would need to actually see one of these defect-free displays in person to think otherwise.

And from what I've read, it seems to be the 75 inch version of this TV that suffers the most.

Good luck on your journey!
DVD Freaky and cueball73 like this.
post #2586 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
That's tricky to answer. I went through six P75's and they all had these issues. Than you have people on here who received a TV without issues after a few tries or right from the start. To me its an issue with them all, or at least the majority. But that's my biased opinion based on my experience. Others may disagree, but I am at the point where I would need to actually see one of these defect-free displays in person to think otherwise.

And from what I've read, it seems to be the 75 inch version of this TV that suffers the most.

Good luck on your journey!
Thank you for sharing your experience. I've decided I'm going to try the panel lottery thing exactly once and if the P75 has such issues that I can't use the FALD settings at all I'll just go with a cheaper direct lit television with better native contrast to circumvent the lack of FALD.

Frankly the FALD panels in anything that isn't a higher end brand, and higher end set like Samsung and Sony seem to have very poor performance in general and it may just be better to go direct lit if you're going budget and want local dimming. That's what I've gathered from all the complaints people have with cheap TCL/Vizio/LG FALD sets anyway.
post #2587 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC View Post

… Like you, I also ran into an issue using my cable box (a TiVo mini) and CEC. When plugged directly to the TV, or my receiver, it essentially broke all CEC.
I installed a cheap switch in between it and my TV, and that seemed to solve that issue.

CFC

Curious, could you send a link to the "cheap switch"?

Recall reading somewhere that if you disable "pin 17" on the HDMI, that will eliminate the interference from the cable box. Perhaps that occurs in the switch.

One workaround suggested was to connect the cable box via component but that seemed like overkill and have no desire to reintroduce component cables into the mix. Another option was to go from HDMI to DVI from cable box and then DVI to HDMI into the display...but then you have to pass a separate audio input...too much trouble.

Of course the real solution is DUMP THE CABLE BOX!
post #2588 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 01:46 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC View Post

… Like you, I also ran into an issue using my cable box (a TiVo mini) and CEC. When plugged directly to the TV, or my receiver, it essentially broke all CEC.
I installed a cheap switch in between it and my TV, and that seemed to solve that issue.

CFC

Curious, could you send a link to the "cheap switch"?

Recall reading somewhere that if you disable "pin 17" on the HDMI, that will eliminate the interference from the cable box. Perhaps that occurs in the switch.

One workaround suggested was to connect the cable box via component but that seemed like overkill and have no desire to reintroduce component cables into the mix. Another option was to go from HDMI to DVI from cable box and then DVI to HDMI into the display...but then you have to pass a separate audio input...too much trouble.

Of course the real solution is DUMP THE CABLE BOX!
This is what I use
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D6YZXG...p_mob_ap_share
though it was bought in 2015.

CFC
MacInFL likes this.

Signature goes here
post #2589 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. I've decided I'm going to try the panel lottery thing exactly once and if the P75 has such issues that I can't use the FALD settings at all I'll just go with a cheaper direct lit television with better native contrast to circumvent the lack of FALD.

Frankly the FALD panels in anything that isn't a higher end brand, and higher end set like Samsung and Sony seem to have very poor performance in general and it may just be better to go direct lit if you're going budget and want local dimming. That's what I've gathered from all the complaints people have with cheap TCL/Vizio/LG FALD sets anyway.
My open box P75-F1 looks great with zero or minimal DSE. I am not sure if these sets need a certain hours of burn-in to look great (something my open box set basically had endured prior to my purchase). If you have a 30-day return policy, I suggest leaving it on for 10-12 hours (use YouTube 11-hour white or pink noise video) every day for a week. Review if AFTER the burn-in.
galonzo likes this.
post #2590 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Yeah, I tried his settings and actually really like them. Seemed a little dull at first, but once my eyes got used to it, I loved it! Of course, every set varies.
I installed the settings today. No time to watch anything though. I'll offer my opinion after I get some content viewed. Thanks
MrVizio likes this.
post #2591 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Hello and welcome! Yes, I use optical with a soundbar, and whether I use the Vizio remote, TiVo remote, or the Apple TV remote, the volume controls the soundbar volume, as well as auto-powering on and off (just like on my Sammy with soundbar, see sig).
Thankyou for this! Now I wish I didn't have to wait the whole weekend for it to be delivered.

Cheers.
galonzo likes this.
post #2592 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
My open box P75-F1 looks great with zero or minimal DSE. I am not sure if these sets need a certain hours of burn-in to look great (something my open box set basically had endured prior to my purchase). If you have a 30-day return policy, I suggest leaving it on for 10-12 hours (use YouTube 11-hour white or pink noise video) every day for a week. Review if AFTER the burn-in.
So you don't get the flash-lighting effect when watching content? When you hit the V on your remote and the second circle begins to spin is there a lighted area 5 inches or so outside of the circle rotating with it?

I'm really curious. I still have the set, so maybe I will record a video of some of my specific issues.
post #2593 of 2861 Old 05-17-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
So you don't get the flash-lighting effect when watching content? When you hit the V on your remote and the second circle begins to spin is there a lighted area 5 inches or so outside of the circle rotating with it?

I'm really curious. I still have the set, so maybe I will record a video of some of my specific issues.
Yes, the spinning Vizio logo display is the only time I see a slight halo. I have watched several hours of content and have not seen anything that is disturbing. FYI, I have an OLED in another area of the house and the Vizio comes very close. Let me put it another way, when I was waiting for the set to arrive via truck from B&H, I would spend time stressing over whether I had taken unnecessary risk by mail ordering something this big that may look washed out compared to my calibrated OLED. Knock on wood ... it looks great. BTW, I have the backlight set to Medium and my home theater has zero ambient light. Last night we watched Passengers (4K HDR10 Blu-Ray disc) ... and it was jaw-dropping good. Now, I could spend some time to do a critical comparison between the OLED and the Vizio and come up with a number of issues - but why? This is a 75-inch set that I paid significantly less than my 65-inch OLED. I know you have been having issues with the P75-F1 ... several units that seemed to have issues. I have not gone through all your posts on this thread to see if you posted your settings - perhaps you can post it and I could see if anything stands out - perhaps I can be of some help.
galonzo and cueball73 like this.
post #2594 of 2861 Old 05-18-2019, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, I am reading so many bad experience on this forum that I need to report a good one.
Tonight I rented on Vudu "The girl in the spider's web" in 4K and Dolby Vision.
The image was amazing and I was dreaming of a larger Vizio than my P55-F1.

Only issue was that using the internal Vudu app, at one moment, the movie stopped one minute, buffering the data.
I increased the back-light value to 70 to get more absolute brightness (max nits).
At the end of the movie there is a scene with a fire in the dark, and the result was spectacular.

If this Vizio is able to be reliable a few years, I will be pleased until the Oled Tv do not have any more burning (I am dreaming).
And if Roku is able to adopt Dolby Vision, I will not use any more the internal apps (I am dreaming a lot).
galonzo and MrVizio like this.
post #2595 of 2861 Old 05-18-2019, 06:35 PM
CEV

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Considering getting this from Amazon. Anyone have any experience with the Asurion insurance offered through Amazon?
post #2596 of 2861 Old 05-19-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5069 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEV View Post
Considering getting this from Amazon. Anyone have any experience with the Asurion insurance offered through Amazon?
Check Walmart, it's cheaper by quite a bit.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
DVD Freaky likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #2597 of 2861 Old 05-19-2019, 09:12 AM
CEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Check Walmart, it's cheaper by quite a bit.

Not according to their site: P75-F1
post #2598 of 2861 Old 05-19-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
Yes, the spinning Vizio logo display is the only time I see a slight halo. I have watched several hours of content and have not seen anything that is disturbing. FYI, I have an OLED in another area of the house and the Vizio comes very close. Let me put it another way, when I was waiting for the set to arrive via truck from B&H, I would spend time stressing over whether I had taken unnecessary risk by mail ordering something this big that may look washed out compared to my calibrated OLED. Knock on wood ... it looks great. BTW, I have the backlight set to Medium and my home theater has zero ambient light. Last night we watched Passengers (4K HDR10 Blu-Ray disc) ... and it was jaw-dropping good. Now, I could spend some time to do a critical comparison between the OLED and the Vizio and come up with a number of issues - but why? This is a 75-inch set that I paid significantly less than my 65-inch OLED. I know you have been having issues with the P75-F1 ... several units that seemed to have issues. I have not gone through all your posts on this thread to see if you posted your settings - perhaps you can post it and I could see if anything stands out - perhaps I can be of some help.
I truly appreciate the offer. I agree. Even despite its flaws there's continually moments when watching content where I am just blown away. I don't believe I've ever had that feeling of being wowed for so long from a TV. Usually I get used to it after a few weeks/months and that's that.

The thing is I've tried every conceivable configuration. There's simply no way to eliminate the issue other than turning FALD off.

Of course I'd still be willing to try your settings, but its highly unlikely it will change anything.

Curious, when you say back light is set at medium, were you referring to the actual backlight or the local dimming feature?
post #2599 of 2861 Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 PM

Okay folks. Here's the latest regarding my journey. I told Vizio I wanted to do a full return of the TV and just wait it out for a newer model. They gave me a case number to give to my local best buy (as that is who I originally purchased the TV from).

I gave Best Buy the number, but they said they couldn't do anything with it locally. They patched me into corporate, who also were befuddled with what to do with this number. So I called Vizio back. Told them the situation. They gave me a new RA number. I called BB back. They said it would take a few days to enter their system, but just to swing by tomorrow and give them that number. So I did that.

Long story short, I have a year (length of Vizio warranty for the TV) to do an exchange. I get to hold onto the current TV and wait for something better. I was blown away by this. What a deal. I thought I was going to be TV-less for a number of months. I have my issues with the TV, but I can live with that deal.

So as soon as the new quantum's come out, and as long as they don't have the same issues, I'll just pay the difference and upgrade. Again I have a year to do so. How crazy is that?!
post #2600 of 2861 Old 05-19-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerianf View Post
Well, I am reading so many bad experience on this forum that I need to report a good one.
Tonight I rented on Vudu "The girl in the spider's web" in 4K and Dolby Vision.
The image was amazing and I was dreaming of a larger Vizio than my P55-F1.

Only issue was that using the internal Vudu app, at one moment, the movie stopped one minute, buffering the data.
I increased the back-light value to 70 to get more absolute brightness (max nits).
At the end of the movie there is a scene with a fire in the dark, and the result was spectacular.

If this Vizio is able to be reliable a few years, I will be pleased until the Oled Tv do not have any more burning (I am dreaming).
And if Roku is able to adopt Dolby Vision, I will not use any more the internal apps (I am dreaming a lot).
I love Vudu, but thats my one gripe. It can regularly buffer in the middle of watching something. Even with direct connection and good Internet. It's never been obnoxious, but its the only streaming service I use that does this.
post #2601 of 2861 Old 05-19-2019, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I love Vudu, but thats my one gripe. It can regularly buffer in the middle of watching something. Even with direct connection and good Internet. It's never been obnoxious, but its the only streaming service I use that does this.
I have noticed this too on occasion. If I can remember I will try casting from a phone or tablet. It's too bad Fire TV 4k doesn't have vudu, it's been pretty good since I got it.
galonzo and MrVizio like this.
post #2602 of 2861 Old 05-20-2019, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5069 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Not according to their site: P75-F1
Oops, I was thinking 65"for some reason. Although that's new vs refurbished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #2603 of 2861 Old 05-20-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Saw the new 75" Quantum in COSTCO's system today for $3299. So, I pulled the trigger on the $1399 P-Series. If it really has all the same problems, crossing my fingers support can upgrade it. Seemed like a worthy gamble.

https://www.costco.com/Vizio-75-Clas...100496035.html
MrVizio likes this.
post #2604 of 2861 Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
Saw the new 75" Quantum in COSTCO's system today for $3299. So, I pulled the trigger on the $1399 P-Series. If it really has all the same problems, crossing my fingers support can upgrade it. Seemed like a worthy gamble.

Awesome! Thanks for the update!
post #2605 of 2861 Old 05-20-2019, 12:23 PM
CEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post

Oh, Wow! Really do not like that price. I've been torn between waiting for the new ones or getting the P75-F1 for $1,400. After trying to find the right TV, I've come to the conclusion that there is no perfect tv. No matter what tv and price range you look at, there are people that do not like this or that about it. This will be my first 4K tv and coming from a Samsung 1080P Plasma. I'm thinking it can only be better than that, so cannot go wrong with the P75-F1 at this price vs paying 2 or 3k+, which I wouldn't be doing regardless.
galonzo likes this.
post #2606 of 2861 Old 05-20-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Oh, Wow! Really do not like that price. I've been torn between waiting for the new ones or getting the P75-F1 for $1,400. After trying to find the right TV, I've come to the conclusion that there is no perfect tv. No matter what tv and price range you look at, there are people that do not like this or that about it. This will be my first 4K tv and coming from a Samsung 1080P Plasma. I'm thinking it can only be better than that, so cannot go wrong with the P75-F1 at this price vs paying 2 or 3k+, which I wouldn't be doing regardless.
Yeah, I highly doubt it stays at that price for too long. I'm gonna hold out for 4-6 months when I anticipate it will drop to the low-mid 2000s than get it.
post #2607 of 2861 Old 05-20-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Also, that link seems to be for the Quantum X, which will be Vizio's top of the line set, so the price is not bad at all. The quantum P's will also be coming out, with double the dimming zones of the current P's, so I'm sure those will be much cheaper.

Having said all that, I am suspicious of that Costco ad. They don't specifically mention it being the X (that I could see), and they have one of the specs wrong for peak brightness. They have it at 2700 nits, whereas the Vizio site has the X rated at 2900 nits. Maybe it means nothing, or... maybe it mean EVERYTHING

Last edited by MrVizio; 05-20-2019 at 04:23 PM.
post #2608 of 2861 Old 05-20-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Also, that link seems to be for the Quantum X, which will be Vizio's top of the line set, so the price is not bad at all. The quantum P's will also be coming out, with double the dimming zones of the current P's, so I'm sure those will be much cheaper.

Having said all that, I am suspicious of that Costco ad. They don't specifically mention it being the X (that I could see), and they have one of the specs wrong for peak brightness. They have it at 2700 nits, whereas the Vizio site has the X rated at 2900 nits. Maybe it means nothing, or... maybe it mean EVERYTHING
Aren't Costco versions of most sets cheaper and lesser specced, though? They generally have different model numbers for that reason.
post #2609 of 2861 Old 05-20-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1706
Quote:
Aren't Costco versions of most sets cheaper and lesser specced, though? They generally have different model numbers for that reason.
No, they're exactly the same; the different model numbers are so that they cannot be price-matched at Best Buy, etc.
MrVizio and cueball73 like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #2610 of 2861 Old 05-20-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
No, they're exactly the same; the different model numbers are so that they cannot be price-matched at Best Buy, etc.
Exactly.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page