Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 650Likes

post #2611 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 07:31 AM
CEV

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the P75-F1 last night. Coming from a Sammy 65" Plasma that went out on me a month ago. Are all the HDMI ports equal? Wondering which ports I should plug my Dish Genie and Nvidea Shield into? I don't do any gaming, just use the shield for the Android TV interface for streaming content. Any setup tips would be greatly appreciated. I do have a Klipsch soundbar as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I did the same. $1399 price. Yes coming from an 82. But the 82 was REALLY huge from the 9ft away I sit. So hoping my brain adjusts.

PLUS this will make the P75-F TV free after Sammy refund and an additional $300 in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEV View Post
Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the P75-F1 last night. Coming from a Sammy 65" Plasma that went out on me a month ago. Are all the HDMI ports equal? Wondering which ports I should plug my Dish Genie and Nvidea Shield into? I don't do any gaming, just use the shield for the Android TV interface for streaming content. Any setup tips would be greatly appreciated. I do have a Klipsch soundbar as well.
post #2613 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM
CFC
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEV View Post
HDMI 1-4 are different vs. HDMI 5.
ARC is HDMI 1.

Quote:
1. Select the Appropriate Input –
a. For the 2018 P-Series, HDMI inputs 1-4 accommodate HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 (600MHz pixel clock rate).
i. 2160p/60p, 4:4:4, 8-bit
ii. 2160p/60p, 4:2:2, 12-bit
iii. 2160p/60p, 4:2:0, 12-bit
b. HDMI 5 also accepts HDMI v1.4/HDCP2.2 signals (370MHz pixel clock rate). This will accept the following:
i. 2160p/60p, 4:2:2, 8-bit
ii. 2160p/60p, 4:2:0, 10-bit
iii. 1080p/120p, 4:4:4, 10-bit
iv. 1080p/120p, 4:2:2, 12-bit
c. Input 5 will likely offer the lowest lag time for gaming, but also has no scaling or HDR function and should only
be used with progressive or 4K signals.
d. Input 1 offers HDMI ARC.
Taken from this post by @Noydcom for a good summary on 2018 P-Series features: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post56394604

CFC
galonzo and CEV like this.

Signature goes here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2614 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 AM
CEV

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC View Post
HDMI 1-4 are different vs. HDMI 5.
ARC is HDMI 1.

Taken from this post by @Noydcom for a good summary on 2018 P-Series features: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post56394604

CFC
Thank You! That link will help a lot.
post #2615 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I have a P75-F1 which I bought for significantly less than what’s its at Costco right now (I thought there was not supposed to be any price talk on this forum). Yes, I own an OLED and know what OLEDs can do to the honey-do lists you are supposed to work on during weekends. In any case, the P75-F1 has been an impressive performer and the screen size immerses you enough to forget that you are not watching an OLED - very happy.
galonzo and MrVizio like this.
post #2616 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Where did you find it significantly less?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
I have a P75-F1 which I bought for significantly less than what’s its at Costco right now (I thought there was not supposed to be any price talk on this forum). Yes, I own an OLED and know what OLEDs can do to the honey-do lists you are supposed to work on during weekends. In any case, the P75-F1 has been an impressive performer and the screen size immerses you enough to forget that you are not watching an OLED - very happy.
post #2617 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
due to the most recent firmware:
-game low latency mode turned ON will not output audio to the TV
-game low latency mode will output to an external audio device but with super delay
-computer picture mode has the same effect disabling audio
-fire 4k tv remote cannot default to the proper hdmi input automatically anymore

and on my v505-g9
-the user interface just turned into a lag fest
post #2618 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Vizio P75-F1 cannot cast youtube in hdr

I have a Vizio P75-F1. When I use the native youtube app to find 4k hdr videos, it works fine. But when I try to cast the same videos from my iphone/ipad/computer, it will not play in HDR, and only sometimes come out in 4k. I am also unable to play any of the 4k free clips in Vudu. I found a post in the official Vizio 2018 p series thread with this issue but no responses. Is anyone able to cast in HDR or having similar issues? Vizio says there is nothing wrong with the tv and says its a problem with youtube. Couldn't find a contact phone number for youtube but I did contact chromecast who said I should be able to cast in 4k hdr.
post #2619 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
Where did you find it significantly less?

thanks
I believe he got it through B&H photo. It was a display set (used), but he lucked out and got a good one.
umenon and galonzo like this.
post #2620 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai21ut View Post
-game low latency mode will output to an external audio device but with super delay
-fire 4k tv remote cannot default to the proper hdmi input automatically anymore

and on my v505-g9
That blows.
galonzo likes this.
post #2621 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

and on my v505-g9
Again and again, I am thankful I disabled my Viz's internet, to avoid these unstable pushed firmware updates.
post #2622 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Very weird issue with my P55-C1.

I've been having a problem with mine for over 6 months now where the backlight will not come on with the TV sometimes. I have to unplug the TV, hold the power button for 30 seconds and then plug it back in, and pray that the backlight comes on with it. It will come on with the Vizio symbol, and then will show the input details at the top like usual, but will slowly fade out into nothing. The only way I know the TV is still on is because the soundbar is active. And if I look at the screen from a certain angle I can still see the pixels and stuff.

So now what I have to do at night is leave the TV on WatchFree, and then hold down the mute button, which turns off the screen but keeps the TV on. And when I wake up in the morning I press Exit and the screens comes back to life. If for some reason I forget to put it on WatchFree, 10 minutes later the TV actually turns off, and I have to go through the process all over again.

Other than what is stated above, the TV works absolutely beautifully. I've had it for almost 3 years now.
post #2623 of 2803 Old 05-21-2019, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonne213 View Post
I have a Vizio P75-F1. When I use the native youtube app to find 4k hdr videos, it works fine. But when I try to cast the same videos from my iphone/ipad/computer, it will not play in HDR, and only sometimes come out in 4k. I am also unable to play any of the 4k free clips in Vudu. I found a post in the official Vizio 2018 p series thread with this issue but no responses. Is anyone able to cast in HDR or having similar issues? Vizio says there is nothing wrong with the tv and says its a problem with youtube. Couldn't find a contact phone number for youtube but I did contact chromecast who said I should be able to cast in 4k hdr.
Heck I share your frustrations, having an Apple iPad Pro 11” model which can’t play or stream YouTube or Netflix HDR, or 1440p Apple limits this.
Because my 6.4” Samsung Note 9 does allow YouTube and or Netflix to stream and play 1440p resolutions and HDR 60FPS if available each video is different.

It’s all Licensing and codec restrictions.
post #2624 of 2803 Old 05-22-2019, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Freaky View Post
Again and again, I am thankful I disabled my Viz's internet, to avoid these unstable pushed firmware updates.
You did dude, I remember lol. Its a shame that updates are causing this for people.
DVD Freaky likes this.
post #2625 of 2803 Old 05-22-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalWolf21 View Post
Very weird issue with my P55-C1.

I've been having a problem with mine for over 6 months now where the backlight will not come on with the TV sometimes. I have to unplug the TV, hold the power button for 30 seconds and then plug it back in, and pray that the backlight comes on with it. It will come on with the Vizio symbol, and then will show the input details at the top like usual, but will slowly fade out into nothing. The only way I know the TV is still on is because the soundbar is active. And if I look at the screen from a certain angle I can still see the pixels and stuff.

So now what I have to do at night is leave the TV on WatchFree, and then hold down the mute button, which turns off the screen but keeps the TV on. And when I wake up in the morning I press Exit and the screens comes back to life. If for some reason I forget to put it on WatchFree, 10 minutes later the TV actually turns off, and I have to go through the process all over again.

Other than what is stated above, the TV works absolutely beautifully. I've had it for almost 3 years now.
This thread is for the P55(65/75) F1. But maybe that doesn't matter concerning your question. Just wanted to note that.
post #2626 of 2803 Old 05-22-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is "Normal" aspect ratio correct for displaying full screen/turning off Overscan?

Each time I am on the Fire Stick 4K and my PS4, the info says I am in "Normal" aspect ratio. Is this or "Wide" the correct ratio to display the entire screen *without* stretching it? Which aspect ratio effectively turns off Overscan?

Also, maybe I am just completely missing it, but I don't see where in the Picture Settings to adjust the aspect ratio.

I am noticing that not all my PS4 games take up the whole screen. Adjusting the screen borders in the PS4 Display Area settings to the best of my abilities.
post #2627 of 2803 Old 05-22-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Each time I am on the Fire Stick 4K and my PS4, the info says I am in "Normal" aspect ratio. Is this or "Wide" the correct ratio to display the entire screen *without* stretching it? Which aspect ratio effectively turns off Overscan?

Also, maybe I am just completely missing it, but I don't see where in the Picture Settings to adjust the aspect ratio.

I am noticing that not all my PS4 games take up the whole screen. Adjusting the screen borders in the PS4 Display Area settings to the best of my abilities.
I'm not sure if its available in the settings. I do know there's a button for adjusting it at the very bottom of the remote. On the left hand side under the numbers. You could try that if you already haven't.
post #2628 of 2803 Old 05-22-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
I'm not sure if its available in the settings. I do know there's a button for adjusting it at the very bottom of the remote. On the left hand side under the numbers. You could try that if you already haven't.
Thanks. Do you know if "Normal" or "Wide" is the Vizio mode for displaying full-screen without any stretching or enhancements? I am getting conflicting info online about this and trying to eliminate Overscan as well.
post #2629 of 2803 Old 05-22-2019, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For what it's worth I notice some of the picture artifacts, strange glares..ect are mostly gone after not using ARC connection from my AVR to the P65-F1. Also seen much better results (handshaking) between the AVR and Vizio..All the issues may come back but good for now
galonzo likes this.
post #2630 of 2803 Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Do you know if "Normal" or "Wide" is the Vizio mode for displaying full-screen without any stretching or enhancements? I am getting conflicting info online about this and trying to eliminate Overscan as well.
I would assume normal. But I'll look at it later when home and report my findings
DVD Freaky likes this.
post #2631 of 2803 Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post

Pretty sure “Normal” displays the signal natively and “Wide” will stretch a non-16x9 image.
MrVizio likes this.
post #2632 of 2803 Old 05-23-2019, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

and on my v505-g9
Would like to add that the Fire TV 4k issue is most likely a HDMI-CEC issue. It was working great a couple months ago prior to the update.

Hope youre listening Vizio
post #2633 of 2803 Old 05-23-2019, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
Pretty sure “Normal” displays the signal natively and “Wide” will stretch a non-16x9 image.
Thanks. I think I've been a bit mistaken about the "black bars" around the TV's edges. When the TV is OFF, the viewable screen area looks like it completely goes to the edge of the bezel, with no bordering noticeable. However, when the TV is ON, there is about a half-inch of black bordering all around the picture, with the bottom being the exception. I assume this is normal, since I think I see it in photo's of other P Series TV's. I thought my picture mode had caused those black bars and I needed a different mode to fill the screen, but I think I am wrong about this.

I attached a pic of my PS4 screen, where you can see those black borders around the edge. The same black borders are there when I watch on my Fire Stick 4K also. I assume everyone has those border bars when their Vizio is ON.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VizBorder.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	2570870  
post #2634 of 2803 Old 05-24-2019, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Thanks. I think I've been a bit mistaken about the "black bars" around the TV's edges. When the TV is OFF, the viewable screen area looks like it completely goes to the edge of the bezel, with no bordering noticeable. However, when the TV is ON, there is about a half-inch of black bordering all around the picture, with the bottom being the exception. I assume this is normal, since I think I see it in photo's of other P Series TV's. I thought my picture mode had caused those black bars and I needed a different mode to fill the screen, but I think I am wrong about this.
I posted about this problem earlier as well. I noticed on some broadcast stations in 1080i, there is a 1/2 inch of black border at the top of the screen only. This happens, for ex., in Los Angeles, on Ch 2 (CBS) on both the cable box and OTA antenna. Other channels fill the screen completely. I have attached a screen shot that shows the border at the top, bot not the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vizio top border.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	631.9 KB
ID:	2571070  
post #2635 of 2803 Old 05-24-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp7avs View Post
I posted about this problem earlier as well. I noticed on some broadcast stations in 1080i, there is a 1/2 inch of black border at the top of the screen only. This happens, for ex., in Los Angeles, on Ch 2 (CBS) on both the cable box and OTA antenna. Other channels fill the screen completely. I have attached a screen shot that shows the border at the top, bot not the bottom.
Your bars on the side look a little thinner than mine, but your top bar is the same size as mine. Weird. Perhaps the size of the bar changes with content. I think the black bar is more or less normal on the P Series. I switched the TV off and looked *very* carefully at the screen and I saw a very faint outline of where the bar is, all around the screen...meaning it is apparently part of the bezel, but it is almost invisible when the TV is turned off.

For whatever reason, the bar on the bottom of the screen (by the aluminum) is much smaller.

It's a little concerning when you say some content fills your screen completely. I have never experienced that yet with mine. What picture mode/aspect ratio are you using? Mine is "normal", not "wide".
post #2636 of 2803 Old 05-24-2019, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Calibrated or Calibrated Dark in a dark room for Dolby Vision? I notice it doesn’t matter in HDR there is no brightness change.

Also still wondering if the color change in calibrated and calibrated dark to 58 was intentional. I could see if they did it only to one then it would be obviously unattended but to both dark and normal....

Last edited by MASKOAA; 05-24-2019 at 07:38 PM.
post #2637 of 2803 Old 05-24-2019, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Can anyone here tell me what the experience would be if I was to get the P55-F1 to replace my aging Sony KDS-55A3000 and use it exclusively for my SHIELD TV? 99.9% of all my content that I care to watch comes from 4K YouTube, Netflix and occasionally my Plex server which contains 30+ years of DVD and BR rips. I'm just curious how bad of a PQ downgrade would it be to not use the built in OS apps?

On my friends X900F the shields pq was FAR worse than the built in apps. So I don't want to buy the Sony myself if I can't use this flagship ATV device. The P55-F1 is perfectly in my price range too. The only content I will watch is below.

1. 4K YouTube TV (from the shield)
2. 4K Netflix (from the shield)
3. Plex in various resolutions (from the shield)
4. DirecTV sports in 720p.(from the DirecTV box)
5. And Disney+ when the app becomes available for the SHIELD soon.

Or is it just common knowledge that built in TV apps have better PQ than apps from a external ATV box? My Sony 1080p was a $2500 TV when I bought it but I'm sick and tired of having to replace bulbs every few years. Picture quality is still superb but only when I force high bitrate content through it such as 4K YouTube. Again tired of the bulbs though.
post #2638 of 2803 Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Can anyone here tell me what the experience would be if I was to get the P55-F1 to replace my aging Sony KDS-55A3000 and use it exclusively for my SHIELD TV? 99.9% of all my content that I care to watch comes from 4K YouTube, Netflix and occasionally my Plex server which contains 30+ years of DVD and BR rips. I'm just curious how bad of a PQ downgrade would it be to not use the built in OS apps?

On my friends X900F the shields pq was FAR worse than the built in apps. So I don't want to buy the Sony myself if I can't use this flagship ATV device. The P55-F1 is perfectly in my price range too. The only content I will watch is below.

1. 4K YouTube TV (from the shield)
2. 4K Netflix (from the shield)
3. Plex in various resolutions (from the shield)
4. DirecTV sports in 720p.(from the DirecTV box)
5. And Disney+ when the app becomes available for the SHIELD soon.

Or is it just common knowledge that built in TV apps have better PQ than apps from a external ATV box? My Sony 1080p was a $2500 TV when I bought it but I'm sick and tired of having to replace bulbs every few years. Picture quality is still superb but only when I force high bitrate content through it such as 4K YouTube. Again tired of the bulbs though.
TV apps don’t have access to better quality video in fact the chips inside aren’t going to be faster than a Shield or Apple TV, I would guess there’s an aspect you guys didn’t go over as to why you were experiencing that. Could be all sorts of reasons using an hdmi cord that only supports 1080p, didn’t calibrate the hdmi input , maybe the tv was wired and his wireless WiFi was slow, using an older Shield that didn’t support 4k..... without being there l wouldn’t know
galonzo and SkOrPn like this.
post #2639 of 2803 Old 05-24-2019, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp7avs View Post
No such issue, CBS 1080i looks great thru TV's tuner , also thru a digital converter's tuner at 1080p now still looks fine. Using an antenna on VIZIO P 65 inch.
post #2640 of 2803 Old 05-24-2019, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I do not have Shield but a Roku Ultra connected to my P55-F1.
The image quality from the Roku Ultra is better than from the internal apps.
I do not know why.
galonzo and SkOrPn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page