Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 89 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 642Likes

post #2641 of 2790 Old 05-25-2019, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
TV apps don’t have access to better quality video in fact the chips inside aren’t going to be faster than a Shield or Apple TV, I would guess there’s an aspect you guys didn’t go over as to why you were experiencing that. Could be all sorts of reasons using an hdmi cord that only supports 1080p, didn’t calibrate the hdmi input , maybe the tv was wired and his wireless WiFi was slow, using an older Shield that didn’t support 4k..... without being there l wouldn’t know
Yeah its a shield issue, not the X900F I'm sure, and its a well known issue that it has sub par PQ. However, you can tweak the TV settings to try and find the best possible PQ. I just wanted to know if its still acceptable or not (according to my friend no amount of tweaking worked to fix the PQ, and he spent a solid 4 weeks trying). I am going to be forced to assume, without evidence, it is just barely acceptable.Using the MiBox S player the PQ was fine on the X900F but its his TV not mine and he only uses the built-in apps because he can see a difference. I'm not really interested in a TV for its OS though. I just want a good screen with great PQ for external devices connected to the HDMI ports. So I am going to have to figure out how to test it for myself without committing to a purchase. I doubt BB will let me bring my SHIELD to their store and test it first hand, lol. But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask as that's the only way I will use the TV so why wouldn't they, assuming they still have this model on display or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerianf View Post
I do not have Shield but a Roku Ultra connected to my P55-F1.
The image quality from the Roku Ultra is better than from the internal apps.
I do not know why.
That sounds promising. Thanks for that confirmation even though its a different device entirely. Maybe if I'm lucky this TV will perform better than the X900F when the shield is the source. Lol

Thanks guys for the answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2642 of 2790 Old 05-25-2019, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkOrPn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
TV apps don’t have access to better quality video in fact the chips inside aren’t going to be faster than a Shield or Apple TV, I would guess there’s an aspect you guys didn’t go over as to why you were experiencing that. Could be all sorts of reasons using an hdmi cord that only supports 1080p, didn’t calibrate the hdmi input , maybe the tv was wired and his wireless WiFi was slow, using an older Shield that didn’t support 4k..... without being there l wouldn’t know
Yeah its a shield issue, not the X900F I'm sure, and its a well known issue that it has sub par PQ. However, you can tweak the TV settings to try and find the best possible PQ. I just wanted to know if its still acceptable or not (according to my friend no amount of tweaking worked to fix the PQ, and he spent a solid 4 weeks trying). I am going to be forced to assume, without evidence, it is just barely acceptable.Using the MiBox S player the PQ was fine on the X900F but its his TV not mine and he only uses the built-in apps because he can see a difference. I'm not really interested in a TV for its OS though. I just want a good screen with great PQ for external devices connected to the HDMI ports. So I am going to have to figure out how to test it for myself without committing to a purchase. I doubt BB will let me bring my SHIELD to their store and test it first hand, lol. But I guess it doesn't hurt to ask as that's the only way I will use the TV so why wouldn't they, assuming they still have this model on display or not.

Quote:
I do not know why.
That sounds promising. Thanks for that confirmation even though its a different device entirely. Maybe if I'm lucky this TV will perform better than the X900F when the shield is the source. Lol

Thanks guys for the answers.
What apps were you comparing bc Sony literally uses android so it has fundamentally the same apps as the Shield.
post #2643 of 2790 Old 05-25-2019, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So after owning the P65-F1 for 6 months and continuously tinkering with the picture settings I have found that I actually prefer the "standard" picture setting with auto brightness turned off my favorite. According to the manual "standard" is Vizio's "default" picture setting. I started off doing everything rtings told me to do, then making some of my own adjustments due to the picture being too dim. Just my 2 cents on picture settings, we all have our own preferences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2644 of 2790 Old 05-25-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclancy79 View Post
So after owning the P65-F1 for 6 months and continuously tinkering with the picture settings I have found that I actually prefer the "standard" picture setting with auto brightness turned off my favorite. According to the manual "standard" is Vizio's "default" picture setting. I started off doing everything rtings told me to do, then making some of my own adjustments due to the picture being too dim. Just my 2 cents on picture settings, we all have our own preferences.
I like the standard the best as well. I have a P65 and a P75 and I use standard for both. Not a fan of the dim look. Just my taste.
cueball73 likes this.
post #2645 of 2790 Old 05-25-2019, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
I do not know why.
FYI Roku cannot broadcast in DOLBY VISION, you need an Amazon 4K Fire Stick to take advantage of the TV's DV picture quality.
post #2646 of 2790 Old 05-25-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby james View Post
I like the standard the best as well. I have a P65 and a P75 and I use standard for both. Not a fan of the dim look. Just my taste.
Curious to know all the settings you are using in Standard mode and what content you are watching in this mode. As well as lighting environment.
galonzo likes this.
post #2647 of 2790 Old 05-25-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So... it's complicated. I'll give you some examples. Watching Terminator 2 on 4k Bluray I preferred the standard setting with auto brightness turned off during daytime and nighttime. Watching Die Hard 5 on SDR Bluray I preferred Calibrated. Currently watching during Scarface SDR on Netflix during daytime and prefer calibrated. Watching Terminator 1 last night on Netflix I preferred Standard with Auto Brightness turned off. I watched The Nun on 4k Bluray at night in Calibrated Dark and it was so bright it burned my wife's and I eyes so I turned local dimming to low and was fine. Watched The Purge (Ethan Hawke) in 4k Bluray and preferred standard with auto brightness turned off. Watched Our Planet on Netflix in Dolby Vision at night and preferred standard with auto brightness turned off.

So it depends. I tinker with settings a lot including the color graph. The standard setting definitely changes the picture, but the majority of the time I prefer it over the dimmer settings of calibrated and calibrated dark. But there are movies where I actually prefer the more natural look of calibrated and calibrated dark.
post #2648 of 2790 Old 05-25-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby james View Post
I thought color looked off in Standard picture mode when I first set up my P65. I just checked the Standard mode and color was set to 63! and with "cool" for color temperature, colors look unnatural, especially reds. I've yet to calibrate my P65 but 50 looks fairly accurate with natural skin tones when using "normal" color temperature.
galonzo likes this.

Sean
post #2649 of 2790 Old 05-25-2019, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Mine is setup. Looks amazing. Wonderful. Yeah jailbars and ghosting is still there. But the big problem... i got spoiled by the 82” size. The 75 feels tiny!!! #FML
post #2650 of 2790 Old 05-26-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
Mine is setup. Looks amazing. Wonderful. Yeah jailbars and ghosting is still there. But the big problem... i got spoiled by the 82” size. The 75 feels tiny!!! #FML
I know some will not think 7 inches is a big difference. But I remember having to downgrade from a 65 to a 60 many years ago and it sucked!
post #2651 of 2790 Old 05-26-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
So... it's complicated. I'll give you some examples. Watching Terminator 2 on 4k Bluray I preferred the standard setting with auto brightness turned off during daytime and nighttime. Watching Die Hard 5 on SDR Bluray I preferred Calibrated. Currently watching during Scarface SDR on Netflix during daytime and prefer calibrated. Watching Terminator 1 last night on Netflix I preferred Standard with Auto Brightness turned off. I watched The Nun on 4k Bluray at night in Calibrated Dark and it was so bright it burned my wife's and I eyes so I turned local dimming to low and was fine. Watched The Purge (Ethan Hawke) in 4k Bluray and preferred standard with auto brightness turned off. Watched Our Planet on Netflix in Dolby Vision at night and preferred standard with auto brightness turned off.

So it depends. I tinker with settings a lot including the color graph. The standard setting definitely changes the picture, but the majority of the time I prefer it over the dimmer settings of calibrated and calibrated dark. But there are movies where I actually prefer the more natural look of calibrated and calibrated dark.
Thanks for the info. So I assume all other settings are left at default?

Yeah I've gotten pretty used to calibrated (or the TV has settled in), who knows. But some content does not play well with that setting and comes across as dull. When I first got the TV I messed with all the picture modes. First thing I always do is turn off auto-brightness, switch to normal color, bring down color and sharpness, and make sure smoothing and blur reduction are no higher than 3.

Standard has more 'pop' for sure, but I'm wondering if it really is just a difference with how the colors are calibrated, or if its something deeper withing the service menu.

Oh, and its funny, because I often have to switch local dimming from medium to low when the lights are down because it hurts my girls eyes as well. But I figure the blinder she is, the better I look
post #2652 of 2790 Old 05-27-2019, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So I bought the P75-F1 recently and love the picture. I got a great panel but noticed the back of the TV gets pretty hot after about an hour of use. It’s only a particular spot on the back right of the TB above the HDMI ports. It’s not super hot but definitely pretty warm. I wanted to see if any other users have a similar feeling behind the Tv and if these just run hot while it’s still In the return period. Thank you
post #2653 of 2790 Old 05-27-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverc94 View Post
It’s only a particular spot on the back right of the TB above the HDMI ports.
*back right of the TV
post #2654 of 2790 Old 05-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverc94 View Post
*back right of the TV
Yep its normal. At least based on the five P75s I've had.
post #2655 of 2790 Old 05-27-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have issues with YouTube popping/crackling every 30-60 seconds when using HDMI arc back to AVR.

Arcing back Netflix, Plex or any other apps don't give me that issue, just YouTube.

My AVR is Marantz nr1608

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #2656 of 2790 Old 05-28-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Noob here, I created 2 custom picture modes (one for SDR and one for HDR) and saved them. But when I change the Color Tuner settings in the SDR mode, the changes are applied to the HDR mode too. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.
post #2657 of 2790 Old 05-28-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My Vizio TV sending out unsecured WiFi network...

Whenever my Vizio P65-F1 TV is on, I notice that "Living Room TV" is now open as an unsecured WiFi network. "Living Room TV" is what I chose to identify the TV. I was able to connect to this network on my Desktop with no password. It is visible to ANYONE. I am reading that this is apparently tied into the TV's ChromeCast feature. I have data collecting turned OFF in System settings and my Vizio's main internet connection on the TV itself has been disabled purposely for weeks, in order not to get any pushed unstable firmware updates.

Does anyone know how to turn this WiFi network the TV is sending, off? I can't find a menu for this anywhere. I certainly don't want anyone to exploit this network. There seems no way for me to set a password at least, so no one else can log in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VizioWiFi2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	2572840  
post #2658 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 06:40 AM

Life is too short for this TV. If cameras never panned in content, maybe everything would be ok. But the minute a pan happens in a scene with any dynamic info, you instantly see the flashing/shadows/backlight/jailbar/dimming zones of this garbage TV. I tried again. Like a fool. I don’t think I even want to try for the upgrade to the 2019 models. Might just go with a Sammy on their upgrade program.
post #2659 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Life is too short for this TV. If cameras never panned in content, maybe everything would be ok. But the minute a pan happens in a scene with any dynamic info, you instantly see the flashing/shadows/backlight/jailbar/dimming zones of this garbage TV. I tried again. Like a fool. I don’t think I even want to try for the upgrade to the 2019 models. Might just go with a Sammy on their upgrade program.
I share your pain. I think the 2019s will be a big leap up. But only time will tell.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/vizio-t...ews-30123.html
post #2660 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 01:46 PM

Maybe by then you’ll be Mr. Samsung...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
Quote:
I share your pain. I think the 2019s will be a big leap up. But only time will tell.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/vizio-t...ews-30123.html
post #2661 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've not noticed any of that on my P65. Could it be poor source material ? I watch OTA (no cable) broadcasts, bluray, and some Netflix streaming via an Apple TV 4K connected via ethernet to a robust network. I honestly have no significant complaints and I had a Panasonic VT50 plasma previously and also a 2018 LG OLED for 3 months before returning due to a video processing defect. I was intending that the Vizio would be a 1-year stop gap TV and then I would purchase a 2019 LG (or other) OLED. Now, I think I may upgrade to the new Vizio Quantum series at year end and go bigger (75"). I really like that I don't have to worry about image retention. And the Vizio is not nearly as quirky as the LG.
galonzo likes this.

Sean
post #2662 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 05:12 PM

All sources. The 65” models are fine while the 75” models are notorious for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
Quote:
I've not noticed any of that on my P65. Could it be poor source material ? I watch OTA (no cable) broadcasts, bluray, and some Netflix streaming via an Apple TV 4K connected via ethernet to a robust network. I honestly have no significant complaints and I had a Panasonic VT50 plasma previously and also a 2018 LG OLED for 3 months before returning due to a video processing defect. I was intending that the Vizio would be a 1-year stop gap TV and then I would purchase a 2019 LG (or other) OLED. Now, I think I may upgrade to the new Vizio Quantum series at year end and go bigger (75"). I really like that I don't have to worry about image retention. And the Vizio is not nearly as quirky as the LG.
post #2663 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^
That's really odd. I wonder if the processor is just capable enough for the 65" but not able to handle the additional dimming zones on the 75".

Sean
post #2664 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
HA! Sorry for your experience but I complained about motion blur from the first minute I had this TV. It's awful on cable TV and I watch a bunch of sports. I would question any and all positive reviews. I probably should have bought the Sony 900f.
post #2665 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 05:36 PM

Well my motional problems were from the Samsung Q6… The 2019 Samsung motion and upscaling is pretty spectacular to be honest. In some cases besting the x900F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
Quote:
HA! Sorry for your experience but I complained about motion blur from the first minute I had this TV. It's awful on cable TV and I watch a bunch of sports. I would question any and all positive reviews. I probably should have bought the Sony 900f.
post #2666 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Well my motional problems were from the Samsung Q6… The 2019 Samsung motion and upscaling is pretty spectacular to be honest. In some cases besting the x900F
Never saw the q6.... I avoided Samung because I believe their QLED garbage is intentionally misleading.
galonzo likes this.
post #2667 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Lol, now why would I change my name after 10 glorious years.

And I love Samsungs, but I'm not paying 4.5K for a 75 Q9 when Vizio's top tier 2019 set will likely be half that in a matter of months.
post #2668 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
No he's right. I've had 5 of these 75 sets. At certain times it looks spectacular, but once that camera starts moving... WATCH OUT!

I guess a practical solution would be to just watch content with no camera movement. But what fun is that?!
post #2669 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 08:14 PM

There seem to be many ways to get cheap large Samsungs. Using my work email, the price for the 82” Q70R no tax, no shipping is $2899.

Quote:
Quote:
Lol, now why would I change my name after 10 glorious years.

And I love Samsungs, but I'm not paying 4.5K for a 75 Q9 when Vizio's top tier 2019 set will likely be half that in a matter of months.
post #2670 of 2790 Old 05-29-2019, 08:15 PM

It’s insane HOW bad the Vizio backlighting is when a camera pans.

Quote:
Quote:
No he's right. I've had 5 of these 75 sets. At certain times it looks spectacular, but once that camera starts moving... WATCH OUT!

I guess a practical solution would be to just watch content with no camera movement. But what fun is that?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page