Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 90 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 683Likes

post #2671 of 2946 Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Q70r. Fald.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvizio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
there seem to be many ways to get cheap large samsungs. Using my work email, the price for the 82” q70r no tax, no shipping is $2899.
q7 doesn't have fald. I'm a junkie for inky blacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2946 Old 05-29-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Life is too short for this TV. If cameras never panned in content, maybe everything would be ok. But the minute a pan happens in a scene with any dynamic info, you instantly see the flashing/shadows/backlight/jailbar/dimming zones of this garbage TV. I tried again. Like a fool. I don’t think I even want to try for the upgrade to the 2019 models. Might just go with a Sammy on their upgrade program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
Quote:
Life is too short for this TV. If cameras never panned in content, maybe everything would be ok. But the minute a pan happens in a scene with any dynamic info, you instantly see the flashing/shadows/backlight/jailbar/dimming zones of this garbage TV. I tried again. Like a fool. I don’t think I even want to try for the upgrade to the 2019 models. Might just go with a Sammy on their upgrade program.
I've not noticed any of that on my P65. Could it be poor source material ? I watch OTA (no cable) broadcasts, bluray, and some Netflix streaming via an Apple TV 4K connected via ethernet to a robust network. I honestly have no significant complaints and I had a Panasonic VT50 plasma previously and also a 2018 LG OLED for 3 months before returning due to a video processing defect. I was intending that the Vizio would be a 1-year stop gap TV and then I would purchase a 2019 LG (or other) OLED. Now, I think I may upgrade to the new Vizio Quantum series at year end and go bigger (75"). I really like that I don't have to worry about image retention. And the Vizio is not nearly as quirky as the LG.
I too hate it when folks come here and offer negative opinions without offering any details. So, I usually don't bother to offer any suggestions.

FWIW, my P75-F1 looks amazing (also own an LG OLED)
galonzo likes this.
post #2673 of 2946 Old 05-29-2019, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Q70r. Fald.
I stand corrected. I sit corrected as well. Interesting. I'll have to look into it more. RTINGS wasn't crazy about how the FALD system worked on the Q70r. But what the hell do they know. We're the real experts here.

Still, based on early reviews of the Quantum X, I think I'd go that route for the same price, sacrificing a precious 7 inches of screen real estate.

If it was up to me, I'd go with a projector. But a true 4K HDR projector with good black levels is VERY expensive.
galonzo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2674 of 2946 Old 05-29-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post
I too hate it when folks come here and offer negative opinions without offering any details. So, I usually don't bother to offer any suggestions.

The envy I have towards you could stretch across galaxies.
galonzo likes this.
post #2675 of 2946 Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 PM

You’re one of the lucky few it seems. Or potentially are blessed with poor eyesight.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
Quote:
I've not noticed any of that on my P65. Could it be poor source material ? I watch OTA (no cable) broadcasts, bluray, and some Netflix streaming via an Apple TV 4K connected via ethernet to a robust network. I honestly have no significant complaints and I had a Panasonic VT50 plasma previously and also a 2018 LG OLED for 3 months before returning due to a video processing defect. I was intending that the Vizio would be a 1-year stop gap TV and then I would purchase a 2019 LG (or other) OLED. Now, I think I may upgrade to the new Vizio Quantum series at year end and go bigger (75"). I really like that I don't have to worry about image retention. And the Vizio is not nearly as quirky as the LG.

post #2676 of 2946 Old 05-29-2019, 11:39 PM

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvizio View Post
Quote:
i too hate it when folks come here and offer negative opinions without offering any details. So, i usually don't bother to offer any suggestions.

Fwiw, my p75-f1 looks amazing (also own an lg oled)
the envy i have towards you could stretch across galaxies.
post #2677 of 2946 Old 05-29-2019, 11:41 PM

I spent some decent time with the Q70R. The FALD system is WORLDS beyond the P-75. And the upscaling is on par with the Sony X900F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post
Quote:
Q70r. Fald.
I stand corrected. I sit corrected as well. Interesting. I'll have to look into it more. RTINGS wasn't crazy about how the FALD system worked on the Q70r. But what the hell do they know. We're the real experts here.

Still, based on early reviews of the Quantum X, I think I'd go that route for the same price, sacrificing a precious 7 inches of screen real estate.

If it was up to me, I'd go with a projector. But a true 4K HDR projector with good black levels is VERY expensive.
post #2678 of 2946 Old 05-29-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
You’re one of the lucky few it seems. Or potentially are blessed with poor eyesight.
I'm hoping its the latter. I don't like being the unlucky one.
post #2679 of 2946 Old 05-29-2019, 11:45 PM

It’s not just you. I’ve had the same luck with this half-baked product. Only i haven’t gone through as many sets as you have.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm hoping its the latter. I don't like being the unlucky one.
post #2680 of 2946 Old 05-29-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
It’s not just you. I’ve had the same luck with this half-baked product. Only i haven’t gone through as many sets as you have.
So I win?

Yeah, I a received return policy on this set from Vizio that will last the duration of my warranty. I'm not happy, but I can live with that. I will get something that satisfies my obnoxious needs in due time.
post #2681 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Lol! I do photography as a serious hobby and been accused of being a pixel peeper. As I have said before, compared to the OLED, the P75 does have some shortcomings. But those are minor. I watched 4k stream of the Premiere League on BBC iPlayer (don't ask how) and it was stunning! No ghosting, no shadows (all motion related setting on P75 are set to OFF). Only thing bad was ... they only broadcast a few of the games in 4K.

Quote:
galonzo likes this.
post #2682 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 AM

You are very lucky to have sidestepped a MASSIVE defect with the 75” models.

Quote:
Lol! I do photography as a serious hobby and been accused of being a pixel peeper. As I have said before, compared to the OLED, the P75 does have some shortcomings. But those are minor. I watched 4k stream of the Premiere League on BBC iPlayer (don't ask how) and it was stunning! No ghosting, no shadows (all motion related setting on P75 are set to OFF). Only thing bad was ... they only broadcast a few of the games in 4K.

Quote:
post #2683 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Hey guys. I have a friend who's in the market for a new TV in the $1,000 range. After doing some research and going off personal experience, I've narrowed it down to Vizio. The two models I have him looking at is last year's P65-F1 and the new 2019 M Series M658-G1 with quantum dot technology. They're both priced the same at Best buy. My question is, do you guys think the new M will be as good if not better than last year's P series or will the P series still outperform the new M? Please note that I'm not talking about the P series Quantum dot from last year just the standard P. Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

post #2684 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 163
^^^^
No one can say, until the 2019 M Quantum sets start being reviewed. Their specs do look eerily similar to the 2018 P-series, except for being 60 Hz panels. Price-wise, it sure looks like the M-xx8-G1 models are replacing 2018's regular P-series.

Quote:
Satisfied owners don't come in here to post about their satisfaction over and over again. The tone of a thread can be massively influenced by one or two posters.

And there IS variability. I've seen videos of 2018 P-series that looked ****e. But I've watched hours on the one my dad has at his place and it's always looked great in person.

So who's right?

Like backlight flicker and motion resolution, I suspect some people are just much more sensitive to FALD backlight "motion" than others.

Last edited by WRXpilot; 05-30-2019 at 09:01 AM.
post #2685 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Apologies if there is a better place to post this. Just picked up the P75-F1 from Costco. Looked good but I decided to run Color Calibration. On the flat test pattern I see the little blob to the left of the window from 30% to 50%. Seems to affect some of other test patters as well. I think I saw something flashing once in that area when watching a commercial. I'm curious if there is anything that could be done, run the video to exercize the pixels? A setting? TIA. I'm not looking forward to humping this to the store...lol.

Edited to add my son just noticed a little gate above the calibration window, I see that now as well. Ugh. Am I expecting too much?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4313.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	826.1 KB
ID:	2573418  

Last edited by FTJoe; 05-30-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #2686 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm moving overseas and I can't tell if the p75 would work overseas or not

1. due to 220/50hz electrical - this would be a deal breaker if not. It seems even though its outwardly advertised as 110/60, in practice its really dual voltage. Is that correct?

2. if it can sync a 25/50hz video signal - I know some of my older flat panels couldn't, when I would try to play region free european blurays with 25/50hz content and had the player set to switch to all frequencies (fixed for my purposes by only allowing it to switch between normal US frequencies, 24/30/60), this would be less of a deal breaker as can work around it.

I'd have figured for #2 there would be documentation somewhere?
post #2687 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 02:15 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoad View Post
I'm moving overseas and I can't tell if the p75 would work overseas or not

1. due to 220/50hz electrical - this would be a deal breaker if not. It seems even though its outwardly advertised as 110/60, in practice its really dual voltage. Is that correct?

2. if it can sync a 25/50hz video signal - I know some of my older flat panels couldn't, when I would try to play region free european blurays with 25/50hz content and had the player set to switch to all frequencies (fixed for my purposes by only allowing it to switch between normal US frequencies, 24/30/60), this would be less of a deal breaker as can work around it.

I'd have figured for #2 there would be documentation somewhere?
#2 is a definite yes.
Using the 4K Fire TV Stick, I have it setup to match frame rate. When watching British shows like "Luther", the TV reports 25Hz in the System Information menu.

CFC
galonzo likes this.

Signature goes here
post #2688 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Not a VPN
post #2689 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Yep
post #2690 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTJoe View Post
Apologies if there is a better place to post this. Just picked up the P75-F1 from Costco. Looked good but I decided to run Color Calibration. On the flat test pattern I see the little blob to the left of the window from 30% to 50%. Seems to affect some of other test patters as well. I think I saw something flashing once in that area when watching a commercial. I'm curious if there is anything that could be done, run the video to exercize the pixels? A setting? TIA. I'm not looking forward to humping this to the store...lol.

Edited to add my son just noticed a little gate above the calibration window, I see that now as well. Ugh. Am I expecting too much?
Both things are normal behavior for this set. But off course it varies from set to set. I wouldn't worry about test patterns at the moment. Watch a variety of content for a few days and see if things bother you during that period.

Costco has great return policies and warranties so you should have time.
post #2691 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 05:16 PM

I’ve come to several conclusions.

1. There is no ‘winning’ right now in the TV marketplace. Every set has some compromise you need to live with.

2. In the game of choosing: size, quality, FALD, Dolby Vision/HDR, motion, black levels, interface, features, etc. I found that SIZE comes out on top over quality. Quality is in second place tied with interface. The size of the screen has the most impact on viewing experience followed by the quality of the pic and the interface of the TV. Those things will actually ANNOY you if you get them wrong. Not having Dolby Vision will literally do nothing to your experience.

Anyway this Vizio is going back to the depths of whence it came. And I will replace it with the 82” Q70R which I am quite comfortable and familiar with.

Quote:
Quote:
Yep
post #2692 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I’ve come to several conclusions.

1. There is no ‘winning’ right now in the TV marketplace. Every set has some compromise you need to live with.

2. In the game of choosing: size, quality, FALD, Dolby Vision/HDR, motion, black levels, interface, features, etc. I found that SIZE comes out on top over quality. Quality is in second place tied with interface. The size of the screen has the most impact on viewing experience followed by the quality of the pic and the interface of the TV. Those things will actually ANNOY you if you get them wrong. Not having Dolby Vision will literally do nothing to your experience.

Anyway this Vizio is going back to the depths of whence it came. And I will replace it with the 82” Q70R which I am quite comfortable and familiar with.
As I have mentioned before, I'm a junkie for inky blacks. And having experienced DV, I really dig it now BUT I pretty much agree with you. I had an 1800 dollar projector for a month in 2013. I loved it and still consider it the best viewing experience I've ever had. Even with this 75 set at 10 feet away, it still doesn't compare. That Q7 sounds like a very nice set. I'll definitely keep it in mind.
galonzo likes this.
post #2693 of 2946 Old 05-30-2019, 10:04 PM

Q70R... the 2019 version. The Q7 was 2018 and edge lit.

And yes, the black levels are inky on the Q70R. :-)

Quote:
As I have mentioned before, I'm a junkie for inky blacks. And having experienced DV, I really dig it now BUT I pretty much agree with you. I had an 1800 dollar projector for a month in 2013. I loved it and still consider it the best viewing experience I've ever had. Even with this 75 set at 10 feet away, it still doesn't compare. That Q7 sounds like a very nice set. I'll definitely keep it in mind.
post #2694 of 2946 Old 05-31-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Both things are normal behavior for this set. But off course it varies from set to set. I wouldn't worry about test patterns at the moment. Watch a variety of content for a few days and see if things bother you during that period.

Costco has great return policies and warranties so you should have time.
Thanks. Didn't take long, the spot on the lower left flashed a few times last night while watching a Hulu original. Wondering if the issue will get worse but you are correct, not feeling the urgency because it is Costco.
post #2695 of 2946 Old 05-31-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Q70R... the 2019 version. The Q7 was 2018 and edge lit.

And yes, the black levels are inky on the Q70R. :-)
Yep, I knew which one, was just being lazy when typing. But in case anyone comes through and reads this it is important that they know we are talking about the Q70R and not the Q7.
post #2696 of 2946 Old 05-31-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Didn't take long, the spot on the lower left flashed a few times last night while watching a Hulu original. Wondering if the issue will get worse but you are correct, not feeling the urgency because it is Costco.
Did Costco deliver or did you pick it up. Yeah I'd give it about a week and try and just enjoy the set. But after that, if there are still things that are effecting the viewing experience in a negative way, do a return.

I did 5 returns and never found satisfaction, but others here have exchanged their sets for ones that didn't have the issues (or at least not bad enough to bother them).

Or as Cueball mentioned, maybe those people are partially blind.
post #2697 of 2946 Old 05-31-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Did Costco deliver or did you pick it up. Yeah I'd give it about a week and try and just enjoy the set. But after that, if there are still things that are effecting the viewing experience in a negative way, do a return.

I did 5 returns and never found satisfaction, but others here have exchanged their sets for ones that didn't have the issues (or at least not bad enough to bother them).

Or as Cueball mentioned, maybe those people are partially blind.
lol
Costco delivered it...why do you ask? 5 Returns!! Hopefully not a 75", I have no idea how to get it to the store as of right now. Will probably go Sammy instead of playing the lottery again. Thanks.
post #2698 of 2946 Old 05-31-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
lol
Costco delivered it...why do you ask? 5 Returns!! Hopefully not a 75", I have no idea how to get it to the store as of right now. Will probably go Sammy instead of playing the lottery again. Thanks.
Yep, 5 returns of the 75. But it was fairly pain free. Best Buy delivered it and picked it up each time. So my only hassle was reconnecting stuff, passwords, settings, etc.

That's why I asked about Costco. If they offer to do an in home exchange (like BB does), than you could try another one.

It's a shame as this TV has the best picture for the price imo, but than there's those issues that many have run into. Again, as someone mentioned earlier, people don't rush to this forum to rave over and over again about how great their new TV is. So maybe its not as big an issue as it appears to be. But 5 times was enough for me.
post #2699 of 2946 Old 05-31-2019, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Yep, 5 returns of the 75. But it was fairly pain free. Best Buy delivered it and picked it up each time. So my only hassle was reconnecting stuff, passwords, settings, etc.

That's why I asked about Costco. If they offer to do an in home exchange (like BB does), than you could try another one.

It's a shame as this TV has the best picture for the price imo, but than there's those issues that many have run into. Again, as someone mentioned earlier, people don't rush to this forum to rave over and over again about how great their new TV is. So maybe its not as big an issue as it appears to be. But 5 times was enough for me.
When I was replacing the VIZIOs until I got a good panel one, I also went thru a TCL 5 series which had a perfect (perfect) panel but was not bright enough. Just noticed today that the 6 series which is close to VIZIO P is selling for 621 free shipping, no tax.
https://slickdeals.net/f/13117579-tc...#post127900822
post #2700 of 2946 Old 05-31-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregka View Post
When I was replacing the VIZIOs until I got a good panel one, I also went thru a TCL 5 series which had a perfect (perfect) panel but was not bright enough. Just noticed today that the 6 series which is close to VIZIO P is selling for 621 free shipping, no tax.
https://slickdeals.net/f/13117579-tc...#post127900822
Great deal! Too bad its already expired lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page