Official Vizio P Series 2018 (P55-F1, P65-F1, P75-F1) Owners Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 684Likes

post #2911 of 2952 Old 11-05-2019, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Did I get scammed? I have a P65-F1. I took a lightning strike and called a tv repair service to replace the power and main boards. He ordered the parts and installed them. When I turned on the tv, I noticed in the bottom left hand corner “P65-C1” before the firmware and date. Does that mean he used the wrong part? Embarrassed to ask this, but does that matter?! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2952 Old 11-05-2019, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Click image for larger version

Name:	C3E15347-CE23-4C28-9C72-AAE6A24261C7_1573017768742.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2637080Click image for larger version

Name:	C3E15347-CE23-4C28-9C72-AAE6A24261C7_1573017768742.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2637080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf4368 View Post
Did I get scammed? I have a P65-F1. I took a lightning strike and called a tv repair service to replace the power and main boards. He ordered the parts and installed them. When I turned on the tv, I noticed in the bottom left hand corner “P65-C1” before the firmware and date. Does that mean he used the wrong part? Embarrassed to ask this, but does that matter?! Thanks!
Below is a screenshot.
post #2913 of 2952 Old 11-08-2019, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
Maybe someone can explain this Dolby Vision behavior.
2018 Vizio P series connect to Apple 4k
TV set to auto color space and Apple 4k set to ycbcr.

Using the calibrated modes dark dolby vision movies like The Nun are always way to dark especially in the opening dungeon scene...If I fire the movie up in movies anywhere it'll play the hdr version which showed more shadow detail.

So I wanted to test something...once you're displaying dolby vision or HDR the color space is locked so before launching the movie I changed the color space on my tv to ycbcr to match the apple 4k....sdr looked the same....dolby vision fired up and now the entire screen was mostly black in the opening dungeon scene....which I found odd since doing the same thing with the hdr version made it look exactly the same as when auto color space was chosen.

So I back out of the movie and set the color space on the tv to rgb....and wth now the dolby version of the Nun is showing the same exact image as when it was set to auto.....so is Dolby vision using the rgb color space bc this doesn't make sense.

Bumping this. I think this TV's performance on Dolby Vision in dark scenes is pretty pathetic, HDR looks much better. I also use Apple TV, but I don't feel like it's much better on the native apps. It sucks because I got rid of a perfectly good HDR TV to get Dolby Vision, and find myself switching to HDR10 half the time because the Dolby Vision is too dark, or blotches out blue/purple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2914 of 2952 Old 11-08-2019, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
Quote:

Using the calibrated modes dark dolby vision movies like The Nun are always way to dark especially in the opening dungeon scene...If I fire the movie up in movies anywhere it'll play the hdr version which showed more shadow detail.

So I wanted to test something...once you're displaying dolby vision or HDR the color space is locked so before launching the movie I changed the color space on my tv to ycbcr to match the apple 4k....sdr looked the same....dolby vision fired up and now the entire screen was mostly black in the opening dungeon scene....which I found odd since doing the same thing with the hdr version made it look exactly the same as when auto color space was chosen.

So I back out of the movie and set the color space on the tv to rgb....and wth now the dolby version of the Nun is showing the same exact image as when it was set to auto.....so is Dolby vision using the rgb color space bc this doesn't make sense.

Bumping this. I think this TV's performance on Dolby Vision in dark scenes is pretty pathetic, HDR looks much better. I also use Apple TV, but I don't feel like it's much better on the native apps. It sucks because I got rid of a perfectly good HDR TV to get Dolby Vision, and find myself switching to HDR10 half the time because the Dolby Vision is too dark, or blotches out blue/purple.
Further experimenting has shown the biggest difference is the gamma starting point... for instance if I put the Dolby version of the Nun to gamma 1.8-2.0 it matches exactly the gamma of the HDR version and likewise I can go up to 2.4 on the HDR10 version.
post #2915 of 2952 Old 11-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclou View Post
Quote:

Further experimenting has shown the biggest difference is the gamma starting point... for instance if I put the Dolby version of the Nun to gamma 1.8-2.0 it matches exactly the gamma of the HDR version and likewise I can go up to 2.4 on the HDR10 version.
For some reason doing a factory reset helped to balance the picture.... I’m seeing more detail at 2.2 gamma then I was before.... don’t know why that helped but it did.
post #2916 of 2952 Old 11-09-2019, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 51
new firmware update 4.0.20.30

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#7e03626f108e
galonzo likes this.
post #2917 of 2952 Old 11-10-2019, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregka View Post
That's awesome, but unfortunately my Onkyo 676 is not HDR10+ capable. Maybe Onkyo will get on board and release firmware updates that will enable this functionality. But even then, I doubt that a receiver as 'old' as the 676 will get it. Companies prefer that you spend money to get the newest bells and whistles.

--------------------
Vizio P65-F1
Onkyo TX-NR676
Sony UBP-X700
-------------------
post #2918 of 2952 Old 11-11-2019, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
On the HDR10+ update
- just updated the firmware to 4.0.20.3 on my P75-F1 and now see HDR10+ from the Amazon app on the TV, e.g. Jack Ryan S2
- not sure I really see much of difference as I just watched it but from my xfinity X1 box which just (and still) only shows HDR10
- also popped in a couple of Dolby Vision UHDs (from my Oppo 203) to confirm it still works and it does, no issues
galonzo likes this.
post #2919 of 2952 Old 11-11-2019, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Regarding the new HDR10+ update, does anyone know if it only applies to the built in Smartcast apps? I just checked Prime on the new Shield and it still only shows HDR.

Also, when trying Jack Ryan on Prime app on the 2019 Shield I noticed the Dolby Vision toggle has disappeared. Only options I have under Resolution include HDR10, no DV anywhere where they used to be available. Did this new HDR10+ update cause the issue?

Last edited by gk2121; 11-11-2019 at 06:50 PM.
post #2920 of 2952 Old 11-11-2019, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

2018 55In P series using a 4k Apple TV
Every once in awhile I noticed when starting a movie and the tv goes into dolby vision the movie looks dim....upon investigating when I cycle the active full array setting from medium to low there's no change but when I go back to medium boom the correct amount of brightness is set so there is a glitch happening every once in awhile there.
post #2921 of 2952 Old 11-12-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Somehow I lost Dolby Vision with the new update. Frustrating. Anyone have any ideas to try as a potential fix?

TV: P659-G1
Firmware: 4.0.20.3
Soundbar: SB36512-F6
Stream Box: Nvidia Shield 2019
post #2922 of 2952 Old 11-12-2019, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustintheweb View Post
Somehow I lost Dolby Vision with the new update. Frustrating. Anyone have any ideas to try as a potential fix?

TV: P659-G1
Firmware: 4.0.20.3
Soundbar: SB36512-F6
Stream Box: Nvidia Shield 2019
Need more details are you sure you completely lost it like did you try the built in apps on the tv to verify
galonzo likes this.
post #2923 of 2952 Old 11-12-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Need more details are you sure you completely lost it like did you try the built in apps on the tv to verify
I have the same setup and can confirm that DV works on the built in smartcast and a 4k firestick. Still doesn't work on the 2019 Shield though. One semi interesting note, when I first tried Jack Ryan season 1 DV on the Shield I got the awful colors and noticed even though the Vizio info said DV was on, it obviously wasn't so that's when I started rooting around in Shield settings and noticed DV disappeared. But when I just tried again on the Shield and Jack Ryan, it has corrected itself and displaying in HDR10 but not DV
post #2924 of 2952 Old 11-13-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah, this seems to be effecting the DV from external sources (others have reported that DV broke in FireTV, etc). Sounds like some kind of quagmire with the HDMI handshaking.
post #2925 of 2952 Old 11-15-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Been a Vizio P75 F1 (2018) owner for about a year now. Some DSE yes, but overall I'm so glad I went from 65 to 75. One question...it's taken me a while but I'm finally messing with the settings. I've settled on "calibrated" as my default for hdr/dv content. However I'm just now realizing that "normal" seems a bit too yellowish. Cool seems a bit too blue-ish. Any thoughts on using "computer"? It seems to strike a good balance,and when I searched this thread I noticed several people using it. Any issue in doing that? I want to try to replicate as best a picture as possible (everything else is defaulted to rtings settings, save for active array set to medium).

Thoughts?
post #2926 of 2952 Old 11-16-2019, 06:34 AM

I have a P75-F1 and just as soon as it auto updated to firmware 4.0.20.3 it started having an issue with the volume. Before the update I usually kept the volume at 16 and very rarely needed to turn it above 20 which was very loud. Now in order to hear the speakers at 16 I have to stand right next to it. Initially, I just figured I would need to turn the volume to compensate for the new levels. Unfortunately, no matter how much I turned up the volume, it never got any louder after level 20 and even that was just a tad bit louder than 16.

This sucks... I can barely hear my TV because of the new firmware. Below I have listed all the steps I tried to do to fix the problem with no luck. Any suggestions?

- power cycling the TV

- toggling on/off surround sound and volume leveling settings

- unplugging everything but power cable

- tested all possible input sources

- performed a complete system reset

- I thought maybe it was so quiet because one of the speakers had gone bad, but I was able to verify sound was coming out clearly through both speakers.
post #2927 of 2952 Old 11-17-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Larkins View Post
Been a Vizio P75 F1 (2018) owner for about a year now. Some DSE yes, but overall I'm so glad I went from 65 to 75. One question...it's taken me a while but I'm finally messing with the settings. I've settled on "calibrated" as my default for hdr/dv content. However I'm just now realizing that "normal" seems a bit too yellowish. Cool seems a bit too blue-ish. Any thoughts on using "computer"? It seems to strike a good balance,and when I searched this thread I noticed several people using it. Any issue in doing that? I want to try to replicate as best a picture as possible (everything else is defaulted to rtings settings, save for active array set to medium).

Thoughts?
I don't have any particular thoughts other than it looks the best (by far) to me and that's what I use. The colors just look unnatural in one way or another with any other setting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vizio P75-F1 | Denon AVR-S740H | Chane A1.5/A2.4 L/C/R | Boston VRS Micro Surrounds | HSU VTF2-Mk5 | HTPC (Win10, Red Dragon RX 5700 XT, Kodi, MPC-HC/MadVR) | PS4 | XBone
post #2928 of 2952 Old 11-17-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Pingle View Post
I have a P75-F1 and just as soon as it auto updated to firmware 4.0.20.3 it started having an issue with the volume. Before the update I usually kept the volume at 16 and very rarely needed to turn it above 20 which was very loud. Now in order to hear the speakers at 16 I have to stand right next to it. Initially, I just figured I would need to turn the volume to compensate for the new levels. Unfortunately, no matter how much I turned up the volume, it never got any louder after level 20 and even that was just a tad bit louder than 16.

This sucks... I can barely hear my TV because of the new firmware. Below I have listed all the steps I tried to do to fix the problem with no luck. Any suggestions?

- power cycling the TV

- toggling on/off surround sound and volume leveling settings

- unplugging everything but power cable

- tested all possible input sources

- performed a complete system reset

- I thought maybe it was so quiet because one of the speakers had gone bad, but I was able to verify sound was coming out clearly through both speakers.
I had the same issue with my P75-F1 try to toggle the other settings in the Audio menu, the volume came back to normal after I toggle one of the setting not sure which one it was.
post #2929 of 2952 Old 11-19-2019, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by neild1 View Post
I had the same issue with my P75-F1 try to toggle the other settings in the Audio menu, the volume came back to normal after I toggle one of the setting not sure which one it was.
Had the same issue. Checked Audio settings. Surround Sound was set to On. I set it to Off and then sound was back to normal
galonzo likes this.
post #2930 of 2952 Old 11-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Liked: 12
I have had the P75-F1 for almost a year now and LOVE it!

I have had some glitches here and there, but overall love this TV.
galonzo likes this.
post #2931 of 2952 Old 11-19-2019, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Just curious is it a trait of all VA panels that toward the edge of the screen...outer edge [left and right side]...that the color has a slight desaturated look in hdr/dolby? You can notice it in panning shots off anything with red or foliage so panning shots in The Martian for example the sand will be more saturated mid screen then when it pans it loses some saturation towards the edge. The odd thing is....it doesn't seem as noticable in sdr....

Last edited by MASKOAA; 11-19-2019 at 04:55 PM.
post #2932 of 2952 Old 11-20-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
P65-F1 black screen... repair help

My TV died a week ago, still has sound and a working backlight, can still see some faint movement on the screen when I use it. I can tell it's still functioning.

I think it's the T-CON board but I'm having trouble finding the points on it to test with with a multimeter, all the videos I see look different than this. Can someone point me in the right direction on checking voltages coming into the board and going out to the panel? Here's a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	4.73 MB
ID:	2643606  
post #2933 of 2952 Old 11-21-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I've got a 2016 P55-C1, and it's been very solid since I got it.

Then, last night, the screen went black, BUT...

If I power it off then back on, the Vizio logo will appear on the screen at bootup, and sound is still working, but no screen at all after the logo.

I tried unplugging it overnight, also tried the "unplug it then hold the power button for a minute" and nothing.

I can still connect with the app, so I tried other inputs etc, nothing. I chose to do a factory reset, nothing still.

Any ideas? I mean, the screen actually DOES work since I see the logo at bootup, but that's it.

Thanks

It takes a big man to admit that he's wrong, I am not a big man!!

LD's- LD Collection

DVD's- DVD Collection

Last edited by torgo100; 11-22-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #2934 of 2952 Old 11-22-2019, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 42
AirPlay Connectivity Issues

Anyone been having weird Apple AirPlay connectivity issues?

We never really used it for anything before (used chrome cast for other app/video streaming needs), but with the introduction of Disney+, we've been using it a lot more since that is the way to get the amazing 2160p DolbyVision versions of their films to play on the set.

With that said, I've had intermittent connectivity with it. For example, we'd start watching a movie through AirPlay... then 20-30min into the movie, it just disconnects and bounces back to the SmartCast screen. When looking on our phone, tablets, etc... we no longer see the P65-F1 show up as a AirPlay cast able device, even though the airplay icon still shows on the TV top right corner. Other internet TV functions still work just fine, Netflix app, YT, even chrome casting no problem. So its not like the wifi signal dropped out completely... just airplay specifically.

We have to do a soft power cycle, or unplug and reboot... then the icon returns on our mobile devices to AirPlay back to the TV again. We've also tried factory resets and fresh installs of recent firmware and the like.

We start it up again, watch another 20 some times 60min... then again, disconnects and bounces back to SmartCast screen.
Our phones arn't in low power mode, happens whether the phones are locked/unlocked. Its seemingly at random, and takes a whole power cycle to restore functionality. Anyone else notice this?

@VizioService
galonzo likes this.
post #2935 of 2952 Old 11-27-2019, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Whats ev1 think of the hdr10+ update ? I just watched the alien 4k blu ray through my ubd-m9500 and i was impressed and i have the karate kid 1984 and cliffhanger in amazon prime they both playback in hdr10+ and i also have them in dv on vudu and i think hdr10+ is better than dv myself ...let me know what ya think ppl !!!!!
post #2936 of 2952 Old 11-29-2019, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadseven View Post
Whats ev1 think of the hdr10+ update ? I just watched the alien 4k blu ray through my ubd-m9500 and i was impressed and i have the karate kid 1984 and cliffhanger in amazon prime they both playback in hdr10+ and i also have them in dv on vudu and i think hdr10+ is better than dv myself ...let me know what ya think ppl !!!!!
I watched some Grand Tour with HDR10+. Its been a few months since ive seen the previous 4K version on the F1, but to me the colors and image just looked better, more 'natural'. Brights being bright, colors being rich, darks being well preserved, etc.
post #2937 of 2952 Old 11-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

My custom HDR settings for The Mandalorian since its using fake HDR.....mastered at 200nits....

Using Calibrated I made a custom save for dull HDR/Dolby content t
Backlight 80
Brightness 50
Contrast 70
Color 60
Sharpness 20

These settings also work good for other drab looking Disney movies like the Marvel films.

Color Temperature Normal
Active Full Array Medium
Gamma 2.4

Last edited by MASKOAA; 11-30-2019 at 07:32 PM.
post #2938 of 2952 Old 11-29-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Today I watched Atomic Blonde in 4K UHD DV.
I used the Vudu app. from Vizio.
Image quality was perfect for this dark movie that reproduce the visual from Berlin in the 90s.
The P55F1 works very well with Dolby Vision.
post #2939 of 2952 Old 11-30-2019, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:

These settings also work good for other drab looking Disney movies like the Marvel films.
The Marvel films are drab looking? Man, thanks for the laugh.

--------------------
Vizio P65-F1
Onkyo TX-NR676
Sony UBP-X700
-------------------
post #2940 of 2952 Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karelj View Post
Quote:

The Marvel films are drab looking? Man, thanks for the laugh.
For the most part yea. https://youtu.be/hpWYtXtmEFQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page