2018 Samsung Q6FN ''Owners thread'' ''No price talk'' - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 146Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 893 Old 01-22-2019, 08:15 PM
Newbie
 
Trainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, I’ve recently noticed a quick lag when I’m watching television, might happen 3 times out of an hour show. The common link seems to be the television, it catches back up after a second or less and everything is synced, sound, voice etc. doesn’t seem to be attributed to something like Motion blur, it’s more like network but it happens on devices that aren’t using network. Is it dropping frame rates?

Television is a Samsung 65” Q6FN. Has happened on Netflix through a PS4 (HDMI), wired network connection through google home hub. And has happened through Comcast Xfinity box (HDMI) on Demand connected through Coax.

I’ve read a bit about input lag but I wasn’t sure if that was something that persisted more than a second. Also thought maybe it’s the home network but it happens with Comcast box. So it seems common link is the TV, seeing if anyone had had a similar issue or is a known issue, or a setting

Digital clean view: Auto
Auto Motion Plus: Off, all 0’s
Led Clear Motion: Off
Local Dimming: Standard
Contrast Enhancer: Off

Last edited by Trainsaw; 01-22-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Trainsaw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 893 Old 01-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashPanda View Post
Please keep us posted! Really hoping this is a fixable issue!
Well folks, finally made the decision to give up on Samsung. After an incredible amount of time researching online, looking at other display models, having a screen replaced and talking with Samsung directly about it, I've come to the conclusion that the 82" screens that Samsung is sourcing are just simply sub standard trash. There's no excuse to have an LCD response time issue like they have.

Just ordered my new Sony 85x900F. My Q6 is being swapped out on Saturday... sorry to see you go Samsung but you just didn't live up to the hype. Loved your colors, brightness, gaming features, remote and OS, but PQ is the most important thing in a TV and in that department (on the 82" panels anways), you have failed miserably. Oh well, on to bigger and better (hopefully)!

Good luck to the rest of you.
Kamran Jahadi is offline  
post #543 of 893 Old 01-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Senior Member
 
mhyatt5871's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
Well folks, finally made the decision to give up on Samsung. After an incredible amount of time researching online, looking at other display models, having a screen replaced and talking with Samsung directly about it, I've come to the conclusion that the 82" screens that Samsung is sourcing are just simply sub standard trash. There's no excuse to have an LCD response time issue like they have.

Just ordered my new Sony 85x900F. My Q6 is being swapped out on Saturday... sorry to see you go Samsung but you just didn't live up to the hype. Loved your colors, brightness, gaming features, remote and OS, but PQ is the most important thing in a TV and in that department (on the 82" panels anways), you have failed miserably. Oh well, on to bigger and better (hopefully)!

Good luck to the rest of you.

I don't blame you at all. That issue is unacceptable. I had a 65 Q6FN and I really liked it overall, but I swapped it for the X900F due to the light bleeding from the bottom during HDR content. The X900F isn't perfect, but it's a better TV for me in terms of overall picture quality.

Sony X900F
Xbox One X
PS4 Pro
mhyatt5871 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #544 of 893 Old 01-23-2019, 01:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
best picture settings for new Q6FN 65"

Hello, and thanks for allowing me to join this forum.
So i just purchased my new Q65FN from Costco and the TV is incredible. My question is picture settings. i have tried a bunch of different settings and eventually i seem to like the standard mode with a few variations to other things like color, sharpness, and back light, for some reasons those settings look great on streaming channels like Netflix and Amazon but not so great on regular local channels. i have Xfinity Comcast as the provider. i recently looked on line and most owners seem to like the Movie mode and not standard or Dynamic.
can someone provide me with what they feel is the best picture settings for this TV.

this is my first post on this site and i apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for this question
joserdacloser is offline  
post #545 of 893 Old 01-24-2019, 12:30 AM
Senior Member
 
simplepinoi177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by carltonrice View Post
I am having a different issue with my Samsung QLED and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. When I am using the Smart TV to stream, it periodically loses its Internet connection. Doesn't seem to be any particular pattern to it. Sometimes, I can watch for hours with no issue. Sometimes, the Internet will fail 3 or 4 times within an hour. When it happens, I can simply unplug the Ethernet cable then plug it back in and the Internet starts right back up. But it seems to happen also when I'm using the WiFi instead of the Ethernet.

I thought that maybe the problem was with the router or weak WiFi which made me switch to Ethernet. But I have another (older) Samsung 4K that uses WiFi for streaming and never seems to have an issue. None of the computers or other WiFi devices have an issue.

I love the picture, but it gets a bit annoying to be in the middle of a movie or concert and have it drop. I was wondering if I bypassed the Smart Tv and bought an Amazon or Roku stick would that resolve the issue?

Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas what could be causing this?
To be sure it's not an external factor from the TV, be sure you have power cycled your router & modem. Merely unplugging the ethernet cable would not be enough. This also would affect/improve wifi as well as wired.
Outside of this, you might want to look into changing the router settings; specifically the DMZ, QoS, and anything that has to do with adjusting speeds to any specific device or ip address...

hopefully some of this helps...

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
simplepinoi177 is offline  
post #546 of 893 Old 01-24-2019, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashPanda View Post
Because Comcast compresses the ever living hell out of broadcast signals. Get an OTA HD antenna and check out some of the local broadcasts, it is significantly better than Comcast.
very true- although I've got the Tv looking "not too bad" and watchable in xfinity. The audio sucks too. some channels you can hardly hear at all and lately HBO seems to have a lot of click and pops. I was worried it was the TV but went to another TV and the same noises.
thetman is offline  
post #547 of 893 Old 01-24-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by joserdacloser View Post
Hello, and thanks for allowing me to join this forum.
So i just purchased my new Q65FN from Costco and the TV is incredible. My question is picture settings. i have tried a bunch of different settings and eventually i seem to like the standard mode with a few variations to other things like color, sharpness, and back light, for some reasons those settings look great on streaming channels like Netflix and Amazon but not so great on regular local channels. i have Xfinity Comcast as the provider. i recently looked on line and most owners seem to like the Movie mode and not standard or Dynamic.
can someone provide me with what they feel is the best picture settings for this TV.

this is my first post on this site and i apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for this question
don't have my settings on hand but I leave mine in standard as well. Movie mode looks a bit dark and dreary for me. I think the biggest change was tweaking the gamma settings. gave it more of plasma feel for me anyways.
thetman is offline  
post #548 of 893 Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
jimjimmyjones85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joserdacloser View Post
Hello, and thanks for allowing me to join this forum.
So i just purchased my new Q65FN from Costco and the TV is incredible. My question is picture settings. i have tried a bunch of different settings and eventually i seem to like the standard mode with a few variations to other things like color, sharpness, and back light, for some reasons those settings look great on streaming channels like Netflix and Amazon but not so great on regular local channels. i have Xfinity Comcast as the provider. i recently looked on line and most owners seem to like the Movie mode and not standard or Dynamic.
can someone provide me with what they feel is the best picture settings for this TV.

this is my first post on this site and i apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for this question
I was going to ask the same thing. Has anyone had it calibrated or done so themselves?

I am really trying to avoid that live play feel you can get with some 4k/HDR sources.
jimjimmyjones85 is offline  
post #549 of 893 Old 01-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
simplepinoi177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by joserdacloser View Post
Hello, and thanks for allowing me to join this forum.
So i just purchased my new Q65FN from Costco and the TV is incredible. My question is picture settings. i have tried a bunch of different settings and eventually i seem to like the standard mode with a few variations to other things like color, sharpness, and back light, for some reasons those settings look great on streaming channels like Netflix and Amazon but not so great on regular local channels. i have Xfinity Comcast as the provider. i recently looked on line and most owners seem to like the Movie mode and not standard or Dynamic.
can someone provide me with what they feel is the best picture settings for this TV.

this is my first post on this site and i apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum for this question
Personally, I don't use anything other than "standard". I read somewhere that "Dynamic" is just everything set to extra bright and is mostly just used for display demo purposes -- it's what BestBuy sets all their sets to... And "Movie Mode" seems too "warm" (even after setting "Color tone" to "standard" or "cool").
I mostly wanted to chime in and remind, in case you weren't aware, that there are seperate TV settings for inputs (like Comcast HDMI box) and for native apps (like Netflix and Amazon). It's a simple thing, but just in case, it might explain the difference between the two sources...

Hope this helps...

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
simplepinoi177 is offline  
post #550 of 893 Old 01-26-2019, 03:46 AM
Senior Member
 
jimjimmyjones85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post
Personally, I don't use anything other than "standard". I read somewhere that "Dynamic" is just everything set to extra bright and is mostly just used for display demo purposes -- it's what BestBuy sets all their sets to... And "Movie Mode" seems too "warm" (even after setting "Color tone" to "standard" or "cool").

I mostly wanted to chime in and remind, in case you weren't aware, that there are seperate TV settings for inputs (like Comcast HDMI box) and for native apps (like Netflix and Amazon). It's a simple thing, but just in case, it might explain the difference between the two sources...



Hope this helps...
Do you mean each input can be tuned based on source? E. G. DirecTV, fire stick, bluray, ps4?

Does anyone put hdr10 auto on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
jimjimmyjones85 is offline  
post #551 of 893 Old 01-26-2019, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
simplepinoi177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimmyjones85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post
Personally, I don't use anything other than "standard". I read somewhere that "Dynamic" is just everything set to extra bright and is mostly just used for display demo purposes -- it's what BestBuy sets all their sets to... And "Movie Mode" seems too "warm" (even after setting "Color tone" to "standard" or "cool").
I mostly wanted to chime in and remind, in case you weren't aware, that there are seperate TV settings for inputs (like Comcast HDMI box) and for native apps (like Netflix and Amazon). It's a simple thing, but just in case, it might explain the difference between the two sources...

Hope this helps...
Do you mean each input can be tuned based on source? E. G. DirecTV, fire stick, bluray, ps4?

Does anyone put hdr10 auto on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I meant that I've noticed that the settings set for my HDMI 4 (eARC port) was not carrying over to the settings when I'm viewing Netflix and Amazon (native apps) -- native/default settings is "color tone" is set to Warm2, which I remember having to change even though I had set it for HDMI #4 . I have a AVR so I don't use any other HDMI inputs, but I imagine each input may have its own settings as well. In any case, I doubt you can have individual settings based on source device/material. If that's the case, it seems that audio-video receivers can accomplish that (my Denon can...)....

Hope this clarifies...

Also, I have a Q6 series, but I'm unaware of "enabling" hdr10 and/or putting the setting of hdr10 to "auto"...

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
simplepinoi177 is offline  
post #552 of 893 Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimmyjones85 View Post
Do you mean each input can be tuned based on source? E. G. DirecTV, fire stick, bluray, ps4?

Does anyone put hdr10 auto on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
don't know the exact wording the menu off hand- but pretty sure you can designate to keep the settings for all inputs or just one particular input. I know I have separate settings for my Roku when watching 4K and another for watching Xfinity cable.
thetman is offline  
post #553 of 893 Old 01-28-2019, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
 
simplepinoi177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimmyjones85 View Post
Do you mean each input can be tuned based on source? E. G. DirecTV, fire stick, bluray, ps4?

Does anyone put hdr10 auto on?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
don't know the exact wording the menu off hand- but pretty sure you can designate to keep the settings for all inputs or just one particular input. I know I have separate settings for my Roku when watching 4K and another for watching Xfinity cable.
I checked, and there's a setting inside the Picture; Expert Settings that has "Apply Picture Settings: All Sources". BUT I think @jimjimmyjones85 wanted it specifically by "source... [like] DirecTV, fire stick, bluray, ps4..." which unless is on different HDMI inputs/sources, the TV can't necessarily sort-of detect what device is using the source input and adjust it accordingly...

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
simplepinoi177 is offline  
post #554 of 893 Old 01-29-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepinoi177 View Post
I checked, and there's a setting inside the Picture; Expert Settings that has "Apply Picture Settings: All Sources". BUT I think @jimjimmyjones85 wanted it specifically by "source... [like] DirecTV, fire stick, bluray, ps4..." which unless is on different HDMI inputs/sources, the TV can't necessarily sort-of detect what device is using the source input and adjust it accordingly...
I think you still can. If you are on a certain source say HDMI 2- and you adjust your settings in expert settings you can apply to "current source" only. so it will only affect HDMI 2 without changing the settings on say HDMI 1. Try it out.
I know whenever I switch over to HDMI with ROKU ultra hooked up the settings are different when I switch back to cable. I have each picture setting set to "current". I only have one device hooked up so I can't answer to multiple device hooked up into multiple HDMI inputs.
thetman is offline  
post #555 of 893 Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 AM
Member
 
videokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, my panel just displayed a horizontal line across the bottom. TV now days are total crap, and yes, the Samsung Q6FN 82" fails. Service call Thursday....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190128_182321.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	2517880   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190128_182341.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	581.8 KB
ID:	2517882   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190128_182352.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	946.7 KB
ID:	2517884   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190128_182332.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2517886  
videokid is offline  
post #556 of 893 Old 01-29-2019, 12:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Well, my panel just displayed a horizontal line across the bottom. TV now days are total crap, and yes, the Samsung Q6FN 82" fails. Service call Thursday....
That sucks. I can tell you from personal experience, Samsung is pretty good about replacing defective panels under warranty. Good luck with the panel lottery though. After several replacements, I finally gave up on Samsung and went with a Sony.
Kamran Jahadi is offline  
post #557 of 893 Old 01-29-2019, 06:29 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
That sucks. I can tell you from personal experience, Samsung is pretty good about replacing defective panels under warranty. Good luck with the panel lottery though. After several replacements, I finally gave up on Samsung and went with a Sony.
How's that 900F working out? Worth the extra?
JMaltman is offline  
post #558 of 893 Old 01-30-2019, 06:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaltman View Post
How's that 900F working out? Worth the extra?
I'd have to say the X900F does have a better picture quality overall. The black levels are noticeably better likely due to the full array back lit. This is most noticeable in dark room viewing though, so if you watch mostly in a brightly lit room may not be as noticeable.

While colors aren't as saturated as on the Samsung, I will say that after watching the past few days I've come to appreciate the more realistic color tones. I didn't think I'd like it as much because I really liked how vibrant the Samsung was. Interestingly, I think this set handles blues better but the Samsung has better reds.

The real winner is the motion handling and 4k upconversion. For motion, action scenes just look cleaner/smoother and of course no more ghosting that I had with the 82" Samsung! The picture quality on non 4k content (720p/1080p) is amazing. I watched a couple of 4K movies on VUDU and switched between UHD and HDX, and i was amazed at how good the HDX looked by comparison. Its hard to believe, but the upconverted video is almost as good as the 4K, with maybe just a slight edge going to 4k, but you really have to watch for it. And what the upconversion does for my cable set top box is simply amazing and far superior than what the Samsung produced. If you watch alot of cable, the picture quality difference is definitely worth the cost of admission!

Other notables: I do appreciate the extra 3". I know it's not much, but it does just give it just a tad bit more in your face. I got lucky on panel lottery, no DSE whatsoever!

Where Samsung has a leg up is in the smart features. The "driving experience" is just better with Samsung. Better remote. better interface. Snappier feel, overall going to the Sony is a step back in this department. It's not horrible, but coming from the Samsung for the past year it's hard not to appreciate what Samsung has done to make their TVs more user friendly.

I was worried that the extra input lag on the Sony would be noticeable, but it's really not (at least not on Xbox One X @ 4K resolution). And while I lost variable refresh rate support, honestly I never even noticed what that does on Xbox. Its one of those things that knowing it's there is nice, but in reality not a big deal. Who knows, maybe for future consoles it becomes more of a big deal, or for PC games (which I don't do anyway).

One more thing to remember, every TV has it's pros/cons. One thing I have noticed on the Sony is that it does have a tendency for blooming. It's annoying at first, but I've gotten over it. Maybe I'm just finally given up on finding a "perfect" TV so my expectations are lower this time around. I have heard others complaining about the blooming and they can't get over it. It's definitely a side effect of this TV that owners will have to learn to live with.

Also they just did an OS update to Android Oreo. I have been reading about some of the bugs so I've chosen not to install the update yet until they work through some of that. I guess that sort of thing can be an issue no matter what TV you have. I've heard owners of previous generation Samsungs complaining about software updates as well. Just something we have to deal with now adays.

One more thing, the Sony does not handle reflections as well. Something to keep in mind if you have alot of light sources in the room. It's only slightly worse though, not a deal killer for me.

All said and done, I'm happy I switched but it did come at a significant price increase too. The Sony was literally 1.5x as much. The Samsung is definitely a way better value, I just couldn't deal with the ghosting on 82" screens and going with a smaller size was just not an option I wanted to consider so I bit the bullet. I'm sure alot of folks may not feel it's worth the price difference, but for me it was!

Hope the info helps.

Last edited by Kamran Jahadi; 01-30-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Kamran Jahadi is offline  
post #559 of 893 Old 01-30-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
don't have my settings on hand but I leave mine in standard as well. Movie mode looks a bit dark and dreary for me. I think the biggest change was tweaking the gamma settings. gave it more of plasma feel for me anyways.


Nice settings here (should work with this model) for standard picture


Adds a little “pop” over what rtings settings have.

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
bodean is online now  
post #560 of 893 Old 01-30-2019, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
simplepinoi177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran Jahadi View Post
I'd have to say the X900F does have a better picture quality overall. The black levels are noticeably better likely due to the full array back lit. This is most noticeable in dark room viewing though, so if you watch mostly in a brightly lit room may not be as noticeable.

While colors aren't as saturated as on the Samsung, I will say that after watching the past few days I've come to appreciate the more realistic color tones. I didn't think I'd like it as much because I really liked how vibrant the Samsung was. Interestingly, I think this set handles blues better but the Samsung has better reds.

The real winner is the motion handling and 4k upconversion.
Spoiler!

All said and done, I'm happy I switched but it did come at a significant price increase too. The Sony was literally 1.5x as much. The Samsung is definitely a way better value, I just couldn't deal with the ghosting on 82" screens and going with a smaller size was just not an option I wanted to consider so I bit the bullet. I'm sure alot of folks may not feel it's worth the price difference, but for me it was!

Hope the info helps.
Thank you for this. I, for one, appreciate the well thought out and rational thoughts...
I don't have the luxury of returning my 82" q6f (no trailing but bad "banding"), but it's refreshing to know what's gained and missed...

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
simplepinoi177 is offline  
post #561 of 893 Old 01-31-2019, 07:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Just did a firmware update on my Q6FN82, it’s now 1202. I was wondering if anyone knows the details for the update since I can’t seem to find them. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sina Moghbel is offline  
post #562 of 893 Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 AM
Member
 
Rey L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Homestead,FL
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sina Moghbel View Post
Just did a firmware update on my Q6FN82, it’s now 1202. I was wondering if anyone knows the details for the update since I can’t seem to find them. Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All I see is probably the same thing you saw.


- Improved usability
1. Improved browser performance
2. Improved app performance
3. Improved stability
4. Improved usability of input devices
Sina Moghbel likes this.
Rey L is offline  
post #563 of 893 Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 AM
Member
 
DaMac78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Well, my panel just displayed a horizontal line across the bottom. TV now days are total crap, and yes, the Samsung Q6FN 82" fails. Service call Thursday....
OH NO! Weren't you one of the lucky few who received a good panel without any of that terrible Ghosting we have been talking about here? Better make double-sure the replacement is OK before you accept it... Good luck!
videokid likes this.
DaMac78 is offline  
post #564 of 893 Old 01-31-2019, 09:02 AM
Member
 
videokid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac78 View Post
OH NO! Weren't you one of the lucky few who received a good panel without any of that terrible Ghosting we have been talking about here? Better make double-sure the replacement is OK before you accept it... Good luck!
Yes! Only issue I had was a small amount of DSE looking at the screen from 180 degrees side view, which I would never watch. Had a scheduled tech visit today, when I called to confirm they said Samsung canceled the appointment and transferred me directly to Samsung. So I was pissed and ready to fight! Luckily, I got a service rep that spoke english and he said because of the backordered part (panel) they canceled the appointment and were going to ship a new replacement set. Strange that they did this without a site visit, but I did send the local service facility the same pics I posted here. Told him about the folks here have troubles with ghosting, pixels, and the likes. Also told him I will expect that the 14 day refund period be honored on the replacement set and it needed to be a new set, not a refurbished one. Crossing my fingers because the panel I have satisfied me totally... except for the horizontal line that mysteriously developed. Will keep you updated.
DaMac78 likes this.
videokid is offline  
post #565 of 893 Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Yes! Only issue I had was a small amount of DSE looking at the screen from 180 degrees side view, which I would never watch. Had a scheduled tech visit today, when I called to confirm they said Samsung canceled the appointment and transferred me directly to Samsung. So I was pissed and ready to fight! Luckily, I got a service rep that spoke english and he said because of the backordered part (panel) they canceled the appointment and were going to ship a new replacement set. Strange that they did this without a site visit, but I did send the local service facility the same pics I posted here. Told him about the folks here have troubles with ghosting, pixels, and the likes. Also told him I will expect that the 14 day refund period be honored on the replacement set and it needed to be a new set, not a refurbished one. Crossing my fingers because the panel I have satisfied me totally... except for the horizontal line that mysteriously developed. Will keep you updated.
Wishing you the best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.
videokid likes this.
Kamran Jahadi is offline  
post #566 of 893 Old 01-31-2019, 11:50 PM
Senior Member
 
simplepinoi177's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Yes! Only issue I had was a small amount of DSE looking at the screen from 180 degrees side view, which I would never watch. Had a scheduled tech visit today, when I called to confirm they said Samsung canceled the appointment and transferred me directly to Samsung. So I was pissed and ready to fight! Luckily, I got a service rep that spoke english and he said because of the backordered part (panel) they canceled the appointment and were going to ship a new replacement set. Strange that they did this without a site visit, but I did send the local service facility the same pics I posted here. Told him about the folks here have troubles with ghosting, pixels, and the likes. Also told him I will expect that the 14 day refund period be honored on the replacement set and it needed to be a new set, not a refurbished one. Crossing my fingers because the panel I have satisfied me totally... except for the horizontal line that mysteriously developed. Will keep you updated.
...random thought...I'm curious on how they would try to pull off sending a refurbished one as "new" without sending it in a sealed actual retail box? I remember the behemoth of a box the QN82Q6FN came in! I doubt it's something they can "easily" fit in another retail-type box to trick it as new....
videokid likes this.

My HT Setup 5.2.2---TV:Samsung Q6F(QN82Q6FNAFXZA); Receiver:Denon AVR-X3400H;Sub:HSU Research VTF-2 MK5;Speakers:ELAC F6.2(x2 -> Front R/L), ELAC C6.2(Center), ELAC B6.2(x2 -> Surround R/L), Onkyo SKB-750X(x2 -> Atmos "height" R/L);Sub #2:Onkyo SKW-750X;Connected Devices:Xfinity X1 HD DVR (TV shows), Sony PS4 Pro (UHD videos, gaming), Magnavox MBP6700(UHD HDR movies), Sony PS3 (UPnP media player), Nintendo Switch (gaming)
simplepinoi177 is offline  
post #567 of 893 Old 02-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Gam3r 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wine Country, California
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam3r 4 Life View Post
Hello again forum. Got a quick question. I have a Q6FN. Every time I connect my Sandisk Ultra Fit thumb drive I get the following 2 messages. First it will say "Setting up... Setting up to adjust the speaker volume with the Smart Remote.". Then will say "No Speaker Detected Check the cable connection and the power of the unit, and properly set the source of the speaker. Then, change the Sound Out of the TV to Audio/Optical". I know this has something to do with the way it will automatically try to connect any devices for the universal remote feature.

This happens on both USB ports. After I just back out of the error message Im able to use the thumb drive with the TV with no issues. Just do not understand why it thinks Ive connected a speaker. The way my TV is set up is through optical audio to an Astro A50 transmitter. Ive tried it with the sound out as TV, and as optical audio. It happens both ways. Anyone have this happen to them? Ive attached 2 pics of the messages Im getting. Thank you!
Just wanted to add my own solution I figured out for this issue if anyone else is having something similar. Basically along with what I wrote above I was also constantly getting a message saying "No speaker detected". It would happen randomly even when I wasnt connecting or disconnecting anything. I would randomly get this pop up as if my TV sensed that I had connected a new device and was trying to set it up for the "smart remote" feature. Then the pop up just stays there until you dismiss it. I dont know what device (if any) was causing this but I decided to see if I could completely disable the "smart/ universal" remote feature. And I was able to.

To do this I went into the service menu and shut off the smart remote feature. I used an older Samsung remote I had that had the numbers on it and with the TV off pressed Mute, 1, 8, 2, then power to get into the service menu. Then just toggled the smart remote off. This fixed the pop ups. But of course this also turns off the universal remote feature. But I didnt use it anyway. And if you want to turn the "Smart remote" feature back on you dont have to go back into the service menu. Just go to "universal remote" in the source selection and you can turn it back on along with setting up any devices to use as well. Anyway just wanted to add this in case anyone else was getting the irritating pop ups about a new device connected when there wasnt one.
videokid likes this.

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!

Last edited by Gam3r 4 Life; 02-05-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Gam3r 4 Life is offline  
post #568 of 893 Old 02-09-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,220
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam3r 4 Life View Post
Just wanted to add my own solution I figured out for this issue if anyone else is having something similar. Basically along with what I wrote above I was also constantly getting a message saying "No speaker detected". It would happen randomly even when I wasnt connecting or disconnecting anything. I would randomly get this pop up as if my TV sensed that I had connected a new device and was trying to set it up for the "smart remote" feature. Then the pop up just stays there until you dismiss it. I dont know what device (if any) was causing this but I decided to see if I could completely disable the "smart/ universal" remote feature. And I was able to.

To do this I went into the service menu and shut off the smart remote feature. I used an older Samsung remote I had that had the numbers on it and with the TV off pressed Mute, 1, 8, 2, then power to get into the service menu. Then just toggled the smart remote off. This fixed the pop ups. But of course this also turns off the universal remote feature. But I didnt use it anyway. And if you want to turn the "Smart remote" feature back on you dont have to go back into the service menu. Just go to "universal remote" in the source selection and you can turn it back on along with setting up any devices to use as well. Anyway just wanted to add this in case anyone else was getting the irritating pop ups about a new device connected when there wasnt one.
good to know thanks. I wonder if this would affect connected soundbars. before I was able to just turn on & off the soundbar. now I get a popup asking me to accept the soundbar to activate it. If I ignore the popup then it just won't turn the soundbar on.
thetman is offline  
post #569 of 893 Old 02-09-2019, 07:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Gam3r 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wine Country, California
Posts: 300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
good to know thanks. I wonder if this would affect connected soundbars. before I was able to just turn on & off the soundbar. now I get a popup asking me to accept the soundbar to activate it. If I ignore the popup then it just won't turn the soundbar on.
Im pretty sure this would stop you from controlling any other devices other than the TV with the Smart remote. But since I didnt use it for anything else turning it off made sense. I havent seen the pop up since. The only thing it really affected was the labels for the sources. For example when I had smart remote on it would label my XBOX ONE as "XBOX ONE" in green. With it off I just had to label it myself. Same with Direct TV.

He Loved Us Enough to Die For Us, Love Him Enough to Live For Him!
Gam3r 4 Life is offline  
post #570 of 893 Old 02-11-2019, 06:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So im looking to upgrade from a samsung hu8550 and was leaning toward tcl/vizio, but then i discovered this does [email protected] and freesync as i game alot on xbox one x. Im 90% sold on the q6 over nu8000. My concer is i have onkyo tx-nr 555 which is 5.1.2 atmos etc, but i will now need to run arc or optical from xbox to tv to receiver to take advantage of the advanced gaming features.

My question; i prefer dts Neural X vs Dolby surround, but not huge difference between them. Is it worth it to run optical from xbox to receiver for dts or is dd over arc just as good in your guys opinions.

Also, any gamers her can share their opinions on games like bo4/bfv/apex legends while running 1440p/120hz freesync. Is it big difference (coming from my current setup where im estimating 45-65ms lag @60hz
Mike Wheaton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
hdr10+ , q6fn , qled , Samsung

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off