Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019) - Page 159 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4136Likes

post #4741 of 5661 Old 01-25-2019, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I saw no light-bleed at all on the 75z9f sample I looked at as long as local dimming was at medium/high. With it disabled, I saw some typical LCD clouding in random spots of the screen - I assume that's normal on this set? Is the Netflix issue you're describing on some menu screen or screen-saver that disables local dimming? Anyone post photos of it here?

Don't remember photos, but if you type "v-shaped" in the "Search this Thread" many hits come up.

Unlike the search function on many sites, this one actually works pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4742 of 5661 Old 01-25-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

I saw no light-bleed at all on the 75z9f sample I looked at as long as local dimming was at medium/high. With it disabled, I saw some typical LCD clouding in random spots of the screen - I assume that's normal on this set? Is the Netflix issue you're describing on some menu screen or screen-saver that disables local dimming? Anyone post photos of it here?
If you watch a DV or HDR source on Netflix and then pause it, after a few seconds the screen goes very bright with a pinkish hue. It is then and ONLY then that you see the v-shaped light bleed.

I never see it under any other conditions... so despite it being an issue, it's irrelevant. I'd suggest not purposely looking for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post

Don't remember photos, but if you type "v-shaped" in the "Search this Thread" many hits come up.

Unlike the search function on many sites, this one actually works pretty well.
A few other owners also noticed the v-shaped light bleed so it's been mentioned a few times in this thread. One owner cited it as contributing to the return of several (I think three?) ZF9's amongst other problems with dead pixels. That owner gave up on the ZF9.

The only things that could be seen as problems with my 75 ZF9 were this light bleed and the constant popping up of a message saying wi-fi wasn't connected.

The light bleed I've already discounted and the wi-fi pop up hasn't been seen for many weeks now. So I'm thrilled with my set.

I just watched part one of 'The Grand Tour' Columbia special on Amazon Prime in 4K HDR. Absolutely blown away. Stunning images. Almost the whole hour was a demo of what this TV can do.
post #4743 of 5661 Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6661 Post(s)
Liked: 6644
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyboy View Post
I really want to like the Z9F but Sony are hardly promoting it in the European market. Sure they launched it in Berlin first and at a seemingly more attractive RRP than other territories but this particular model is still hard to come by in most countries around Europe. I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago and Scotland before that and checked at all the retail outlets listed on Sony’s regional websites (which were all showing the TV as being in stock). Most of the sales assistants that I spoke to had to go online to learn about the existence of this model, despite knowing all about the A9F. Eventually I was told that the Z9F can be ordered but will not be available to showcase at their stores.
Had this model been an immediate hit with videophiles and reviewers alike then I would feel more comfortable with going for a blind purchase. Unfortunately the Z9F got quite a lot of flak because of its black levels and blooming issues, which could still sit fine with me if only I had the chance to see them with my own eyes first!
At least I’m finding some reassurance in this owner’s thread since so many have expressed satisfaction with their purchase. Now I see it as a bit of a darling after all but am probably going to wait until some details on the X950G start to emerge, before I decide which model to go for.
High end units are usually sought after, no reason to advertise really as it is a nitch market. Now as far as being able to see one in person, that is usually not an issue in the USA. Are the other high end sets on display in Europe like the OLED77W8PUA? XBR-65A9F? QN75Q9FN? ( Model numbers may be different in Europe )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Patel View Post
I bought the 75Z9F. Anyone else upset they announced the Z9G so soon after? I would've bought the 85" Z9G had I known.
The key word is "announced", well see if this unit is even released early summer. Usually the ultra high end sets come out in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
There's a significant probability that the 85" Z9G will be more than twice the price of the 75" Z9F.
You can bet you butt on that I just hope the 85Z9G are available when needed, I beleive the last time a 85" high end Sony was out was in 2014, the XBR-85X950B which where $25,000. When ever you needed one there was none
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4744 of 5661 Old 01-25-2019, 11:20 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 387 Post(s)
Quoted: 11293 Post(s)
Liked: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by leamingtonspacem View Post
If you watch a DV or HDR source on Netflix and then pause it, after a few seconds the screen goes very bright with a pinkish hue. It is then and ONLY then that you see the v-shaped light bleed.
I don’t get a bright screen with a pinkish hue. I just tried this when watching “Friends from College”, a DV series playing in Netflix Calibrated Mode.
shoman94 likes this.

Last edited by AustinJerry; 01-25-2019 at 02:09 PM.
post #4745 of 5661 Old 01-25-2019, 02:14 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Did someone remove some posts?

@leamingtonspacem : Here is what I see:

When the name of the episode pops up, the screen is dimmed and the black bars turn gray (although I admit they seem to have a pinkish tinge). Is this what you are talking about? AFAICT, this is working normally, and not a flaw in how the Netflix content is being displayed, or anything wrong with the display itself.
post #4746 of 5661 Old 01-26-2019, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
When the name of the episode pops up, the screen is dimmed and the black bars turn gray (although I admit they seem to have a pinkish tinge). Is this what you are talking about? AFAICT, this is working normally, and not a flaw in how the Netflix content is being displayed, or anything wrong with the display itself.
Netflix app on Android TV disables local dimming few seconds after you pause the movie/show. Funny it is not the case for PS4 or XONE apps.

So what you see at the bottom (brighter spots) is just part of "clouding" feature, you just got it in bad place, so that's why it is visible. You can easily confirm it by viewing 'LCD screen test' on YouTube with black content. Disable local dimming and boom - you will see the same bright spots. I would not consider it as a big issue as 99% of time local dimming is enabled and clouding should not be visible for you.
shoman94 likes this.

Last edited by misiektoja; 01-26-2019 at 01:48 AM.
post #4747 of 5661 Old 01-26-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiektoja View Post
Netflix app on Android TV disables local dimming few seconds after you pause the movie/show. Funny it is not the case for PS4 or XONE apps.

So what you see at the bottom (brighter spots) is just part of "clouding" feature, you just got it in bad place, so that's why it is visible. You can easily confirm it by viewing 'LCD screen test' on YouTube with black content. Disable local dimming and boom - you will see the same bright spots. I would not consider it as a big issue as 99% of time local dimming is enabled and clouding should not be visible for you.
Exactly, Sony does that with the built in apps.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #4748 of 5661 Old 01-26-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I called crutchfield they are sending me a new z9f to hawaii

Today my tv was blank just with the hdmi info on top and no signal message in the bottom right. You can hear all sounds but no display, I unplugged it yet again and now its working...
gtbdevs likes this.
post #4749 of 5661 Old 01-26-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post
I called crutchfield they are sending me a new z9f to hawaii

Today my tv was blank just with the hdmi info on top and no signal message in the bottom right. You can hear all sounds but no display, I unplugged it yet again and now its working...
They may not always have the best prices but Crutchfield does have absolutely top notch customer service.
thomasfxlt and burts like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #4750 of 5661 Old 01-26-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
They may not always have the best prices but Crutchfield does have absolutely top notch customer service.
My thoughts exactly, the customer service is fabulous and theres a 60 day return policy, im almost at 60 days so my tv messing up now is a good thing...
post #4751 of 5661 Old 01-27-2019, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leamingtonspacem View Post
Not a valid comparison.

If you're in the market for a 75-inch TV then you're not in the market for an 85-inch.

The 85 ZG9 will almost certainly be prohibitively expensive. The 75 ZF9 isn't.

Personally, I always have a budget for a new TV. There is some flexibility... a few £££$$$'s more. But I wouldn't be thinking of going double on my budget.

If you bought a ZF9 and then regretted it because of the ZG9... your regret is based on two totally different price points and sizes.
I don't care about the price tbh. I want the best possible LED-LCD TV with FALD, Quantum Dots, Dolby Vision, and screen size ≥ 75"
post #4752 of 5661 Old 01-27-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Patel View Post
I don't care about the price tbh. I want the best possible LED-LCD TV with FALD, Quantum Dots, Dolby Vision, and screen size ≥ 75"
If you want this you are very limited in choice...Vizio, TCL?, Hisense?

-Jeff-
post #4753 of 5661 Old 01-27-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right, Sony isn't Quantum dots either.

bluemoon737 likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #4754 of 5661 Old 01-27-2019, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Right, Sony isn't Quantum dots either.

Yeah, this irks me to no end. My previous KDL-55W900 had Quantum Dots, one of the first to market and long before Samsung adopted it. I guess the phosphor they use is cheaper but unfortunately the red also have slower response time, you can even see on the ZF9 with motion clarity enabled that it produces red after images on fast sharp moving imagery. Also QD has even bigger color volume and it was a bit noticeable when I moved from the Q9FN.
post #4755 of 5661 Old 01-27-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^I trust Sony's decisions significantly more than I trust Samsung's. They quit on qdots for a reason...
shoman94 likes this.

-Jeff-
post #4756 of 5661 Old 01-27-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
^I trust Sony's decisions significantly more than I trust Samsung's. They quit on qdots for a reason...
Maybe so but you wouldn't want to game at 120hz on phosphor as you'll get red phosphor ghosting and 120hz is a big allure of the upcoming HDMI 2.1 capable displays for me. Also QD is noticeable more saturated at high luminance values.
post #4757 of 5661 Old 01-27-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
Yeah, this irks me to no end. My previous KDL-55W900 had Quantum Dots, one of the first to market and long before Samsung adopted it. I guess the phosphor they use is cheaper but unfortunately the red also have slower response time, you can even see on the ZF9 with motion clarity enabled that it produces red after images on fast sharp moving imagery. Also QD has even bigger color volume and it was a bit noticeable when I moved from the Q9FN.
Where with content or 4k60hz gaming am I gonna notice this slower reaction time? Is there a test that proves this as well?

97% UV of DCI P3 is pretty amazing for no QDot.

thomasfxlt likes this.

post #4758 of 5661 Old 01-27-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Where with content or 4k60hz gaming am I gonna notice this slower reaction time? Is there a test that proves this as well?

97% UV of DCI P3 is pretty amazing for no QDot.

On my ZF9 I can only see the ghosting when enabling Motion Clearness. I don't think you can see it other wise, be it 24hz or 60hz as the TVs backlight flickers at a very high rate normally but when enabling Clearness it flickers instead at 120hz making it apparent on sharp fast moving things, like the mouse pointer.
post #4759 of 5661 Old 01-27-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I don't trust Hisense. Weren't they coming out with a 75" H10E last year and never did? Vizio and TCL are promising for this year, especially TCL's Mini LED TVs. I feel like if you're gonna do 8K though, gotta go with Sony's processing, even though you'll pay mightily for it. Upscaling is killer with 8K. I have high hopes for the Vizio Qauntum X. The best TV I've ever had was the Vizio Reference Series.
post #4760 of 5661 Old 01-28-2019, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
High end units are usually sought after, no reason to advertise really as it is a nitch market. Now as far as being able to see one in person, that is usually not an issue in the USA. Are the other high end sets on display in Europe like the OLED77W8PUA? XBR-65A9F? QN75Q9FN? ( Model numbers may be different in Europe )
The KD-65AF9 (european version of the XBR-65A9F) was on display at most of the outlets where I went to check, while the Q9FN can be found practically everywhere. I was surprised to see the the spotlight stage was already reserved for the Samsung Q900R after only a couple of weeks following its announcement and yet there was still no sign of the ZF9!
I have contacted an important online retailer in Italy and they confirmed that they have the same situation over there. According to them, it's mainly in Germany and some parts of Poland where this TV can be found at physical stores around mainland Europe.
I understand that this is a niche model and may not be for everyone but word of mouth simply doesn't cut it for me when a respectable amount of money is involved to make the purchase and I'm probably not the only one who sees it like that.
post #4761 of 5661 Old 01-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyboy View Post
According to them, it's mainly in Germany and some parts of Poland where this TV can be found at physical stores around mainland Europe.
Yes, I can confirm that in Poland it is very easy to see this TV in retail stores (at least in Warsaw). I don't know why it is not the case in other EU countries.
roddyboy likes this.
post #4762 of 5661 Old 01-28-2019, 09:23 AM

When I called Crutchfield for a exchange the sales rep asked me if I wanted a different set after owning this one for 48 days.. I was like Hell no, I want the same exact set, no second thoughts...I love the Z9F, I just purchased it again!
shoman94, JoelArt and abrgwjj like this.
post #4763 of 5661 Old 01-28-2019, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
I still have my 55W900A

Sony was the first to market a QD product in 2013, but, yes due to the cost of QD at the time from IQcolor they opted for a inhouse solution moving forward using phosphor coated LED's.

With Samsung, Visio, TCL, and Hisence all offering 2019 models using Quantum Dot's (from Nanosys) I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony offer something @ CES 2020 using DQ from Nanosys.

As Nanosys reps said @ CES this year the cost factor of using their product has gone done tremendously with more manufacturer's coming on board.
JoelArt likes this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #4764 of 5661 Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Send a message via AIM to abrgwjj
I asked the following question on another thread but it occurred to me that I might get a better response to my question on this thread.
The Sony z9f has eARC. I am looking at a processor that also has it--coming soon. My question is the following. At the moment, I run a toshlink optical cable between my television and my Yamaha CX-A5100 processor for audio. Will I get better audio using a HDMI cable between the eARC on my Sony and the one on the processor that I intend to purchase shortly (perhaps the Yamaha CX-A5200 or bitting the bullet, the Marantz 8805)?
post #4765 of 5661 Old 02-01-2019, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrgwjj View Post
I asked the following question on another thread but it occurred to me that I might get a better response to my question on this thread.
The Sony z9f has eARC. I am looking at a processor that also has it--coming soon. My question is the followqing. At the moment, I run a toshlink optical cable between my television and my Yamaha CX-A5100 processor for audio. Will I get better audio using a HDMI cable between the eARC on my Sony and the one on the processor that I intend to purchase shortly (perhaps the Yamaha CX-A5200 or bitting the bullet, the Marantz 8805)?
Yes, you will gain access to ATMOS. If any of the apps ever head down the path of lossless audio you will gain that as well. You will also gain access to lossless passthrough from other HDMI ports on the Sony if for some reason you decide to hook up that way (use the TV as your hub vice the pre-pro...not sure why you would do that though).

-Jeff-
post #4766 of 5661 Old 02-01-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrgwjj View Post

The Sony z9f has eARC. I am looking at a processor that also has it--coming soon. My question is the following. At the moment, I run a toshlink optical cable between my television and my Yamaha CX-A5100 processor for audio. Will I get better audio using a HDMI cable between the eARC on my Sony and the one on the processor that I intend to purchase shortly (perhaps the Yamaha CX-A5200 or bitting the bullet, the Marantz 8805)?
Why would you run a toslink? The 5100 has ARC so you can get Lossy DD+ and Atmos.
eARC won't gain you anything unless you plug equipment directly to the TV first or use Kodi it similar with high quality rips.

post #4767 of 5661 Old 02-01-2019, 03:29 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Why would you run a toslink? The 5100 has ARC so you can get Lossy DD+ and Atmos.
eARC won't gain you anything unless you plug equipment directly to the TV first or use Kodi it similar with high quality rips.

Well, I use Toslink because ARC has been known to have issues in the past. While the issues may be a thing of the past, I don’t feel a compelling need to implement ARC. I don’t have an Atmos setup, so the Dolby Digital that I get from the internal apps is sufficient for my needs.
abrgwjj likes this.
post #4768 of 5661 Old 02-01-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Well, I use Toslink because ARC has been known to have issues in the past. While the issues may be a thing of the past, I don’t feel a compelling need to implement ARC. I don’t have an Atmos setup, so the Dolby Digital that I get from the internal apps is sufficient for my needs.
That's fine if that's what you want. My point was why use it when you can do everything with one cable. Also I was curious what eARC would gain him. I don't think you get DD+ though from toslink.... And that may be fine for you too. Thanks

post #4769 of 5661 Old 02-01-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's fine if that's what you want. My point was why use it when you can do everything with one cable. Also I was curious what eARC would gain him. I don't think you get DD+ though from toslink.... And that may be fine for you too. Thanks

Don't know yet, but I'm hoping eARC ends up being more reliable and stable than ARC.

P.S. I'm with Jerry in my disdain for ARC...hate it!
AustinJerry likes this.

-Jeff-
post #4770 of 5661 Old 02-01-2019, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Send a message via AIM to abrgwjj
I appreciate the considered opinions and different points of view to the question I asked. I listen to a lot of music, mostly classical, with some jazz and broadway shows. 4k DVD's have recently begun to feature classical and opera. Some of the opera is extraordinary in 4k uhd HDR and some leaves much to be desired--but its on the right track so far as I'm concerned. I've also begun to listen to music on the provided apps that Sony has given us. Good but not great--still on the right track. I do not have Atmos. Not sure I will get there. I am interested in hearing great sound and I especially like it when it contains video as well. Nothing better than watching an orchestra or soloist or company perform as you are listening to the performance. With an earlier Sony set, I tried ARC and found it much wanting when it comes to sound. At that point, I switched to a toshlink optical audio out from my Sony. Its downside is that its excellent for a five speaker configuration but doesn't go beyond this. Further, I would like to avail myself of DD+ and other formats that I am sure will emerge soon. I was hoping that eARC would represent a substantial improvement over the ARC, thus I asked the question, will I get better audio by switching from the toshlink optical connection to eARC. You have given me enough solid opinions to lead me to want to try it for myself and see how it "sounds". Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page