Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019) - Page 161 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4139Likes

post #4801 of 5661 Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked: 6171
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
My sentiments exactly!

No regrets here and I watch in low ambient 90% of the time.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 5661 Old 02-10-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6686 Post(s)
Liked: 6684
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post
Today with my replacement z9f after powering on my tv I had no wifi, it would not detect it, only able to manual setup with no dice..

The only way I resolved this was to unplug the tv, after that it scanned for wifi devices(it would not do that before)found my router and connected...
Has it only done this the one single time or does this issue continue? Once in a while I guess all electronics flake out to some degree but all the time would be a pain. If you love the TV you could always use a firestick, apple TV, or Roku?
post #4803 of 5661 Old 02-10-2019, 11:40 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 391 Post(s)
Quoted: 11317 Post(s)
Liked: 6712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Has it only done this the one single time or does this issue continue? Once in a while I guess all electronics flake out to some degree but all the time would be a pain. If you love the TV you could always use a firestick, apple TV, or Roku?
I have lost WiFi at least three times. Each time, a simple re-boot has restored the connection. So, not a big enough issue that I would consider a repair or replace action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4804 of 5661 Old 02-14-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by calambert View Post
Today marks 8 weeks the Z9f has been our primary tv and I have to say I'm completely happy with it. My return window ends Monday and there is absolutely no chance it's going back. As an avid sports fan I believe this may be the best set ever made for watching live broadcasts. The motion handling is outstanding, and as a former Plasma fan, that was one of the major factor that kept me from purchasing an LCD. Football, Basketball, and PGA golf are just fantastic. Even the most challenging sports for a tv to handle, like hockey and skiing are just stellar because the screen is DSE free. As far as movies go, I'm equally pleased. The family watched the first two seasons of The Crown on Netflix which we had not previously seen, and absolutely love the PQ. I rarely notice black bar blooming. I never mentioned it to the family and they've never noticed it, though we don't watch in a pitch black room. The Netflix bars are so narrow that I just don't see blooming. 4K disks on my UBP-X800 are outstanding! I'm also very happy with black levels. My son absolutely loves gaming on this set, and I have piece of mind vs owning an OLED. So glad I waited for this set. I know some people are unhappy with wide angle viewing, but I'm a big fan. LCD viewing angle was another reason I stayed with my Panny plasma for so long. Thanks for all the great input on this thread!
My sentiments exactly!
And mine too...
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #4805 of 5661 Old 02-14-2019, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leamingtonspacem View Post
And mine too...
And me three. This TV is incredible.
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #4806 of 5661 Old 02-15-2019, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 169
In the final days of looking at TV's and probably going to pull the plug within the next month. Couple questions:

1.) Has there been any word on whether these TV's will eventually also support HDR10+?

2.) It was mentioned that the G series may have an updated algorithm that will reduce a bit of the blooming - has there been any word on whether the F series will (or even can, though I'd think so since it doesn't sound hardware-based) receive this?

It's between this set and possibly the new Samsung Q900, which also has wide-angle viewing. But I'm really not a fan of losing Dolby Vision, the higher price tag (though 8K is nice, I'm not sure it'll be practical in the TV's lifespan), and I'm concerned about possible black crush issues or unknown as of yet issues relating to Samsung's version of the X-Wide viewing angle layer. I've also read the 2018 Samsung's have more DSE issues, so that may be another check in favor of the Sony if this continues with their 2019 line.

Gah. Still leaning towards Z9F, but trying to wait for more Samsung details to avoid risk of immediate buyer's remorse. I keep coming back to not liking no DV though.
post #4807 of 5661 Old 02-16-2019, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
In the final days of looking at TV's and probably going to pull the plug within the next month. Couple questions:

1.) Has there been any word on whether these TV's will eventually also support HDR10+?

2.) It was mentioned that the G series may have an updated algorithm that will reduce a bit of the blooming - has there been any word on whether the F series will (or even can, though I'd think so since it doesn't sound hardware-based) receive this?

It's between this set and possibly the new Samsung Q900, which also has wide-angle viewing. But I'm really not a fan of losing Dolby Vision, the higher price tag (though 8K is nice, I'm not sure it'll be practical in the TV's lifespan), and I'm concerned about possible black crush issues or unknown as of yet issues relating to Samsung's version of the X-Wide viewing angle layer. I've also read the 2018 Samsung's have more DSE issues, so that may be another check in favor of the Sony if this continues with their 2019 line.

Gah. Still leaning towards Z9F, but trying to wait for more Samsung details to avoid risk of immediate buyer's remorse. I keep coming back to not liking no DV though.
1, I would not expect HDR10+ at all from Sony. They have their own version built in for HDR10 which is my understanding.

2, if they improved the algorithm then I would expect that to translate to the Z9F on an upcoming firmware. Honestly there are settings you can adjust that helps with blooming but not bad content and Netflix has plenty of it. If you don't stare at the cinema bars, they aren't a bother honestly. There are plenty of settings that you can adjust which minimize it.

I agree with you on the Samsung. The main reason I don't look at them is for Dolby Vision. The other is what I experienced with their local Dimming algorithm and color reproduction. They are just not for me at this time.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #4808 of 5661 Old 02-16-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked: 5488
The G series will be coming into the store really soon so I'll check them out and let you know what I find. Should be interesting.
shoman94 likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #4809 of 5661 Old 02-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
1, I would not expect HDR10+ at all from Sony. They have their own version built in for HDR10 which is my understanding.

2, if they improved the algorithm then I would expect that to translate to the Z9F on an upcoming firmware. Honestly there are settings you can adjust that helps with blooming but not bad content and Netflix has plenty of it. If you don't stare at the cinema bars, they aren't a bother honestly. There are plenty of settings that you can adjust which minimize it.

I agree with you on the Samsung. The main reason I don't look at them is for Dolby Vision. The other is what I experienced with their local Dimming algorithm and color reproduction. They are just not for me at this time.

Fair enough re the HDR10+. I'm seeing a lot of Dolby Vision content so far and not so much HDR10+, so I still lean towards the DV. I can't help but feel I'd be missing something without it. I suppose the same might be true of HDR10+, but that doesn't seem to have too much real-world impact so far.

I think I'm feeling more comfy about ordering the Z9F but will still be debating right up until the order I'm sure =oP
shoman94 likes this.
post #4810 of 5661 Old 02-16-2019, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post

Thought I saw that Sony had changed course and said they were adding HDR10+ support to the G series (and no reason why the F couldn't add it as well).

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #4811 of 5661 Old 02-16-2019, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Thought I saw that Sony had changed course and said they were adding HDR10+ support to the G series (and no reason why the F couldn't add it as well).
It was a context issue, it goes back to what Shoman94 has said, Sony has it's own dynamic tone mapping feature. Sony has no plans to support the format. I have read that, they had been working on it since 2014 or 2015.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
post #4812 of 5661 Old 02-17-2019, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
It was a context issue, it goes back to what Shoman94 has said, Sony has it's own dynamic tone mapping feature. Sony has no plans to support the format. I have read that, they had been working on it since 2014 or 2015.

Well aware that this is what Sony was saying during CES 2018 timeframe when asked. I am also aware that they made the comment that basically they already do what is effectively HDR10+ with their own processing. The key being "no plans" as Sony is always the master at leaving the door open to things. A few years back they also made the "no plans" statement about consumer OLED and we see where that stands now. They made similar comments about taking effectively a wait and see stance on UHD players and less than a year later they released the X800 and x1000ES. Sony never really closes the door on anything that will help their position in the marketplace

Again, pretty sure I recall seeing a comment from them this year at CES (or shortly after) that they would be adding HDR10+ support to the G line...unfortunately I can't find the reference. I could very well be wrong but that is my recollection.

-Jeff-
post #4813 of 5661 Old 02-17-2019, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

So when people are saying Sony does the equivalent of HDR10+ with their own processing, does that mean it's going to be its OWN format with a name? Or does that mean they somehow take regular HDR10 and add the processing after making it similar to HDR10+? (I would think the latter would lack metadata making it impossible, but I'm not extremely well-versed, so I might be missing something)?

Did I mention I really hate format wars? =oP
post #4814 of 5661 Old 02-17-2019, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So when people are saying Sony does the equivalent of HDR10+ with their own processing, does that mean it's going to be its OWN format with a name? Or does that mean they somehow take regular HDR10 and add the processing after making it similar to HDR10+? (I would think the latter would lack metadata making it impossible, but I'm not extremely well-versed, so I might be missing something)?

Not a new format. Sony (and LG) basically apply an on the fly dynamic adjustment to the HDR10 data based upon their interpretation of the info in the scene at the time. That dynamic adjustment is done at content creation during HDR10+. That's my basic understanding...
shoman94 and jrref like this.

-Jeff-
post #4815 of 5661 Old 02-17-2019, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Look on the positive side if we didn’t have companies inventing stuff it would be a very dull world.
post #4816 of 5661 Old 02-17-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From what I remember it was said in a video that was later called a mistake.

bluemoon737 likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #4817 of 5661 Old 02-17-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Well aware that this is what Sony was saying during CES 2018 timeframe when asked. I am also aware that they made the comment that basically they already do what is effectively HDR10+ with their own processing. The key being "no plans" as Sony is always the master at leaving the door open to things. A few years back they also made the "no plans" statement about consumer OLED and we see where that stands now. They made similar comments about taking effectively a wait and see stance on UHD players and less than a year later they released the X800 and x1000ES. Sony never really closes the door on anything that will help their position in the marketplace

Again, pretty sure I recall seeing a comment from them this year at CES (or shortly after) that they would be adding HDR10+ support to the G line...unfortunately I can't find the reference. I could very well be wrong but that is my recollection.
The news originally came from Vincent Teoh, he announced it on his channel. Then he got clarification from Sony. With Samsung dropping out of the UHD BluRay disc player market, HDR10+ may end up with a short life span, unless Netflix announce support, and Disney announces support when their OTT launches.

bluemoon737 likes this.
post #4818 of 5661 Old 02-17-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Great info. I agree invention is a good thing and certainly makes the world less dull - I just wish more manufacturers tried to support every format (but I get why they don't). But this tells me what I need to know; the Sony tries to dynamically do it to regular HDR10 format, and HDR10+ doesn't seem like it's doing super well at the moment, so I think Dolby Vision is probably the better bet right now given the choice. Thanks all.
shoman94 and bluemoon737 like this.
post #4819 of 5661 Old 02-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Welp, folks, I just took the plunge! With any luck, my new 75" Z9F will be here February 28th!

As a previous post indicated, I had considered waiting to find out more about the new-generation Samsung TVs, but after some research, a few things became apparent: no Dolby Vision support, which is a big one for me as a lot of content I watch is available for it; the Q900 is NOT getting stuff like the wide-viewing angle, which I didn't initially realize - that seems to be only coming with the Q950R, and pricing isn't even available on that yet; I don't anticipate needing 8K anytime soon; DSE, black crush, and other issues are known with the previous generation Samsungs, so if I did wait, I'd probably need to wait several MORE months from release to see what these issues are like on the new model (not to mention find out if any new ones are introduced by their own wide-angle-viewing layer). That's not to mention price, as it hasn't been revealed for the Q950R yet (and the Q900 is already more than 1K more than the Z9F),

At the end of the day, for anyone on the fence, what sold me on the Z9F was:
- The great reputation of the Z9D and how well it's held up, so I expect the Z9F should have similar performance.
- The emphasis on low input lag for video games.
- No burn-in, as burn-in issues have absolutely killed OLED for me and I unfortunately would not buy OLED again for this reason. (MicroLED looks like the next promising tech so far, but that's still a ways off.) I'll be so stoked to not have to worry about game HUD's or network logos/chirons if they've been on-screen for a while.
- No black crush (as given the choice between bloom or crush, I'd rather the bloom).
- I plan to use a backlight, so that should minimize black bar issues.
- All of you owners, who seem really happy with the TV!
- It's easy to get trapped waiting; I might as well get something with all of the features I want now. Something new will always be around the corner.

I've also decided to give Phillips Hue Play a try for backlighting. Was going to go Luminoodle but the track placement might be difficult with the detachable panels, and Hue Play looks kind of neat, plus will hopefully cover me for future TV's. Will still consider Luminoodle if for some reason I'm unhappy with Hue.

Anyways, guess I'm officially in this club now. =oP Besides the technology updates, this is also a 10" upsize for me! I'll post some impressions once I get it!
post #4820 of 5661 Old 02-18-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Welp, folks, I just took the plunge! With any luck, my new 75" Z9F will be here February 28th!

As a previous post indicated, I had considered waiting to find out more about the new-generation Samsung TVs, but after some research, a few things became apparent: no Dolby Vision support, which is a big one for me as a lot of content I watch is available for it; the Q900 is NOT getting stuff like the wide-viewing angle, which I didn't initially realize - that seems to be only coming with the Q950R, and pricing isn't even available on that yet; I don't anticipate needing 8K anytime soon; DSE, black crush, and other issues are known with the previous generation Samsungs, so if I did wait, I'd probably need to wait several MORE months from release to see what these issues are like on the new model (not to mention find out if any new ones are introduced by their own wide-angle-viewing layer). That's not to mention price, as it hasn't been revealed for the Q950R yet (and the Q900 is already more than 1K more than the Z9F),

- The great reputation of the Z9D and how well it's held up, so I expect the Z9F should have similar performance.

- No burn-in, as burn-in issues have absolutely killed OLED for me and I unfortunately would not buy OLED again for this reason. (MicroLED looks like the next promising tech so far, but that's still a ways off.) I'll be so stoked to not have to worry about game HUD's or network logos/chirons if they've been on-screen for a while.

- No black crush (as given the choice between bloom or crush, I'd rather the bloom).

- It's easy to get trapped waiting; I might as well get something with all of the features I want now. Something new will always be around the corner.

I've also decided to give Phillips Hue Play a try for backlighting. Was going to go Luminoodle but the track placement might be difficult with the detachable panels, and Hue Play looks kind of neat, plus will hopefully cover me for future TV's. Will still consider Luminoodle if for some reason I'm unhappy with Hue.

Anyways, guess I'm officially in this club now. =oP Besides the technology updates, this is also a 10" upsize for me! I'll post some impressions once I get it!
Congrats, I'm using LifX for my bias lighting, that would be another option for you.

sgupta likes this.

post #4821 of 5661 Old 02-18-2019, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
The news originally came from Vincent Teoh, he announced it on his channel. Then he got clarification from Sony. With Samsung dropping out of the UHD BluRay disc player market, HDR10+ may end up with a short life span, unless Netflix announce support, and Disney announces support when their OTT launches.

Sammy have dropped out of both UHD and regular Blu ray players!
post #4822 of 5661 Old 02-19-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

I have owend the Q900 before settling on the ZF9 and the deciding factors are as follows:
- Price, I got mine to for roughly 60% of the Q900 but with a performance on par.
- Image accuracy. While the Q900 has a much better handle on black crush than the Q9FN it still inaccurately overly darkens regions in an image in an attempt to combat blooming and stay black. I as you prefer an accurate image and some blooming over crush or aggressive dimming.
- Viewing angles, this was a bigger deal than I thought once I got to experienced it in person. I had been really annoyed with the Q9FN that darker parts of the image, like in a dungeon or driving at night in games, had visibly raised gamma to the outer edges of the screen. Q900 were better at this but still not as good as the ZF9. Although to be fair I've heard the Q950 should do an even better job than Q900 while almost completely avoiding blooming.
- Motion and Image duplication, this was one of the biggest reasons I couldn't stand the Samsungs, they always flicker the backlight at 120hz in all modes but movie (480hz) regardless of the sources frame rate and this leads to a game of 60fps double exposing each frame 2 times and at 30fps 4 times, it's really annoying seeing every edge and thin detail getting duplicated while moving across the screen. Sony on the other hand always flickers at 720hz and the number of duplicates are so many they blend together instead, it works out really well.
- Noisy fan with a high pitched tone to it, the Q900 had to me a quite audible cooling fan in the TV housing in my very quiet room during evenings/nights. This was another of the deal breakers to me.
-Upscaling. The Q900 looked pretty good with it's upscaling scaling algorithm but the ZF9 have the best one for games and graphics in Game and Graphics mode. It retains the sharpness of individuals pixels and doesn't smooth/interpolate pixels they way it does in eg Cinema mode.
-Input lag, with 21ms of input lag there isn't much to complain about, while the Q900 does indeed manage 16ms and I could "feel" a slight difference of how responsive gaming felt and the impression of inertia/weight things has due to the lag was ever so slightly lower, 21ms is still great.
- Color Spaces, the third deal breaker for me was that no Samsung TV I've tested to date can do sRGB + Chroma 4:4:4 at the same time, making text a pain to read in Windows when browsing forums, they simply are a very poor choice as a monitor. And finally, this is a big one that no reviewer ever mentions, in PC mode all Samsung TV's I've tested are locked to the TV's "Native" Color Space, this on the Q-series with it's greatly expanded color gamut results in all colors being overly saturated, you simply can't use the PC mode for any kind of accurate image viewing and your eyes will grow fatigued after a while as well. But while it can display proper sRGB in other modes you are relegated to Chroma 4:2:2 which is no good for graphics.
- Color accuracy is much better on Sony, while Samsung may look pretty and attractive in many situations, there were many instances where colors were off and I could immediately see a difference when I started using ZF9.
- HDR, ZF9 does a VERY good job, it's one of the best on the market and can look jaw dropping. I also think ZF9 may be better than Q9FN with the exception that it cant quite renders very small details with the same intensity and Q900 does deliver noticeable higher peak luminance. But for the price I paid and not having to deal with the noisy fan I'm more than happy with this its HDR.
- I also like the fact you can get to relevant image setting much quicker on Sony UI than on Samsung.

All in all Sony beats Samsung in regards to image accuracy/quality and on price performance when compared to Q900 in my opinion. And while I expect most consumer and most professional reviewers to be wowed by Samsung 2019 QLED lineup with their improved viewing angles and such, they often miss their poor backlight flicker implementation resulting in image duplication and thus completely negating their outspoken focus on gamers and impressive low input lag. But I guess that it's to be expected as most reviewers are movie aficionados and are lacking the interest and knowledge of a critical gamer as these issues rarely crop up while watching movies in movie mode.
sgupta, shoman94 and MechaGodzilla like this.

Last edited by JoelArt; 02-19-2019 at 02:47 PM.
post #4823 of 5661 Old 02-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
I have owend the Q900 before settling on the ZF9 and the deciding factors are as follows:
- Price, I got mine to for roughly 60% of the Q900 but with a performance on par.
- Image accuracy. While the Q900 has a much better handle on black crush than the Q9FN it still inaccurately overly darkens regions in an image in an attempt to combat blooming and stay black. I as you prefer an accurate image and some blooming over crush or aggressive dimming.
- Viewing angles, this was a bigger deal than I thought once I got to experienced it in person. I had been really annoyed with the Q9FN that darker parts of the image, like in a dungeon or driving at night in games, had visibly raised gamma to the outer edges of the screen. Q900 were better at this but still not as good as the ZF9. Although to be fair I've heard the Q950 should do an even better job than Q900 while almost completely avoiding blooming.
- Motion and Image duplication, this was one of the biggest reasons I couldn't stand the Samsungs, they always flicker the backlight at 120hz in all modes but movie (480hz) regardless of the sources frame rate and this leads to a game of 60fps double exposing each frame 2 times and at 30fps 4 times, it's really annoying seeing every edge and thin detail getting duplicated while moving across the screen. Sony on the other hand always flickers at 720hz and the number of duplicates are so many they blend together instead, it works out really well.
- Noisy fan with a high pitched tone to it, the Q900 had to me a quite audible cooling fan in the TV housing in my very quiet room during evenings/nights. This was another of the deal breakers to me.
-Upscaling. The Q900 looked pretty good with it's upscaling scaling algorithm but the ZF9 have the best one for games and graphics in Game and Graphics mode. It retains the sharpness of individuals pixels and doesn't smooth/interpolate pixels they way it does in eg Cinema mode.
-Input lag, with 21ms of input lag there isn't much to complain about, while the Q900 does indeed manage 16ms and I could "feel" a slight difference of how responsive gaming felt and the impression of inertia/weight things has due to the lag was ever so slightly lower, 21ms is still great.
- Color Spaces, the third deal breaker for me was that no Samsung TV I've tested to date can do sRGB + Chroma 4:4:4 at the same time, making text a pain to read in Windows when browsing forums, they simply are a very poor choice as a monitor. And finally, this is a big one that no reviewer ever mentions, in PC mode all Samsung TV's I've tested are locked to the TV's "Native" Color Space, this on the Q-series with it's greatly expanded color gamut results in all colors being overly saturated, you simply can't use the PC mode for any kind of accurate image viewing and your eyes will grow fatigued after a while as well. But while it can display proper sRGB in other modes you are relegated to Chroma 4:2:2 which is no good for graphics.
- Color accuracy is much better on Sony, while Samsung may look pretty and attractive in many situations, there were many instances where colors were off and I could immediately see a difference when I started using ZF9.
- HDR, ZF9 does a VERY good job, it's one of the best on the market and can look jaw dropping. I also think ZF9 may be better than Q9FN with the exception that it cant quite renders very small details with the same intensity and Q900 does deliver noticeable higher peak luminance. But for the price I paid and not having to deal with the noisy fan I'm more than happy with this its HDR.
- I also like the fact you can get to relevant image setting much quicker on Sony UI than on Samsung.

All in all Sony beats Samsung in regards to image accuracy/quality and on price performance when compared to Q900 in my opinion. And while I expect most consumer and most professional reviewers to be wowed by Samsung 2019 QLED lineup with their improved viewing angles and such, they often miss their poor backlight flicker implementation resulting in image duplication and thus completely negating their outspoken focus on gamers and impressive low input lag. But I guess that it's to be expected as most reviewers are movie aficionados and are lacking the interest and knowledge of a critical gamer as these issues rarely crop up while watching movies in movie mode.
Wow - really informative post, JoelArt! It's definitely reinforced to me that I made the right decision here going with the Z9F, even though the Samsung also looks like a great TV.

8K and things like VRR w/ slightly lower input lag and HDR10+ all sound great in theory, but the reality is, most of these are not yet mainstream, so I think are probably a lot more prone to initial problems that may very well not be addressed until future models (and would have at minimum required a receiver upgrade for me as well). Future proofing promises have always bit me when I've gone for cutting edge in the past; it hardly ever works out (either it works barely, but not well, or is missing a lot of features that are present only once something hits mainstream). Everything I've read about Sony and motion handling/color accuracy is top notch. I'm looking forward to my experience with it - I haven't owned a Sony since a rear-projection LCD in the early 2000's.

The Z9F blows away the input lag on my current TV, and I play primarily single player games, so I'm sure it'll be perfect there. It'll also solve a bunch of problems for me from certain audio sync at certain framerates on my OLED to Dolby Vision/HDR not being quite bright enough on 2016 OLED models.

Very excited (and a little nervous, but that's always the case) to get this!
JoelArt likes this.
post #4824 of 5661 Old 02-20-2019, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Where I live (Belgium), a well-known store is having a very interesting price on the 65" ZF9: 1999 euros (coming from 2999).
Long story short: I had an OLED but couldn't stand the color tinting and got a samsung Q9FN. Imo the latter had better picture quality than the OLED, but the DSE during FIFA and sports was too annoying. However HDR movies looked outstanding. I'm basically looking for a Q9FN but without the DSE. Do you think the ZF9 is a good choice (65")? Or should I wait for the X95 which will be at least 2599 euros.
post #4825 of 5661 Old 02-20-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame89 View Post
Where I live (Belgium), a well-known store is having a very interesting price on the 65" ZF9: 1999 euros (coming from 2999).
Long story short: I had an OLED but couldn't stand the color tinting and got a samsung Q9FN. Imo the latter had better picture quality than the OLED, but the DSE during FIFA and sports was too annoying. However HDR movies looked outstanding. I'm basically looking for a Q9FN but without the DSE. Do you think the ZF9 is a good choice (65")? Or should I wait for the X95 which will be at least 2599 euros.
For sports/gaming and a clean image with no DSE I think the ZF9 is the better choice having owned the Q9FN. For movies it depends. The Q9FN is a bit more saturated but ZF9 looks more accurate. You may experience the blooming in difficult HDR content like very bright light sources on a primarily black background but it's rarely a problem in reality and in most content. Q9FN doesn't bloom much but instead overly dimms part of the image if you know what to look for and it raises the gamma levels on viewing angles. ZF9 presents a MUCH cleaner and more uniform image and has MUCH better motion both due to it's better backlight flicker implementation of PWM and image interpolation algorithm.
Wether you should wait for the X95 is a bit difficult to say without more information on it. From what I've heard it's not considered a replacement of the ZF9 by Sony.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #4826 of 5661 Old 02-21-2019, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

A few questions for current owners in anticipation of my new TV:

1. I know for SD, game mode is separate. Is HDR Game mode separate from regular HDR mode?

2. Is the mode (ie. game mode) directly programmable as a command into Harmony or other smart remotes? [My LG E6 requires a macro to switch.]

3. Curious about something with the Z9F; on my OLED, if you're outputting Full Range vs. Limited Range, it changes what the backlight needs to be set at. Is there a similar setting on the Z9F, or is this not an issue? [On my LG for SD gaming, I had to set all my consoles to limited range as they didn't play quite right together at full range - it would have required changing settings for the TV when switching between consoles for some reason I have yet to understand.]

Thanks all!
post #4827 of 5661 Old 02-22-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I have lost WiFi at least three times. Each time, a simple re-boot has restored the connection. So, not a big enough issue that I would consider a repair or replace action.
Yea I just lost wifi for the 2nd time, I might rig up a ethernet cord
post #4828 of 5661 Old 02-22-2019, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Have had my 65" Z9F for 1 week and can say that I have been blown away by the picture. I compared it against the Samsung QFN 3 times and once a pro calibrator happened to be in the Magnolia and he was able to point out the differences. The Z9F has more detail than the Samsung and off axis was noticeable.

The shadow detail is great with no crush. Off angle viewing is near perfect and required for my application. The whites are so crisp and clean. Colors are vibrant and natural. No blooming that I can see. Black bars are good enough for me. Upscaling is terrific and sometimes HD looks close to 4K. No DSE. I watched 2 seasons of the Tudors on Netflix and most of the series is filmed in dungeons and night or dark rooms and I have been very watchful of the shodw detail and it's has been stellar. The only quibble I have is with old TV shows from the 60s-70s where there seems to be some smearing especially on the faces

I got the Sony HT Z9F soundbar and like it but am going to return it and have already ordered a Sony ST5000 on a Massdrop with a March 6th ship date
thomasfxlt and MechaGodzilla like this.

Last edited by agincourt; 02-22-2019 at 10:20 PM.
post #4829 of 5661 Old 02-23-2019, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

So happy to hear all the good reviews from users come in. Can't wait to be one of 'em. ^.^
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #4830 of 5661 Old 02-23-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agincourt View Post
Have had my 65" Z9F for 1 week and can say that I have been blown away by the picture. I compared it against the Samsung QFN 3 times and once a pro calibrator happened to be in the Magnolia and he was able to point out the differences. The Z9F has more detail than the Samsung and off axis was noticeable.

The shadow detail is great with no crush. Off angle viewing is near perfect and required for my application. The whites are so crisp and clean. Colors are vibrant and natural. No blooming that I can see. Black bars are good enough for me. Upscaling is terrific and sometimes HD looks close to 4K. No DSE. I watched 2 seasons of the Tudors on Netflix and most of the series is filmed in dungeons and night or dark rooms and I have been very watchful of the shodw detail and it's has been stellar. The only quibble I have is with old TV shows from the 60s-70s where there seems to be some smearing especially on the faces

I got the Sony HT Z9F soundbar and like it but am going to return it and have already ordered a Sony ST5000 on a Massdrop with a March 6th ship date
Great that you are happy, so am I. About the "smeary faces", have you checked your image settings > Clarity > Noise Reduction. if either Random or Digital is on, try and disable them. Also check try out different Motionflow Smoothness settings to see if it makes a difference.

While the blooming complaints are true, especially peak highlights against black background in HDR in, I think the complaints are overblown and everything else about the image quality is great.
thomasfxlt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page