Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019) - Page 162 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4139Likes

post #4831 of 5661 Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 29
How come on 2 different occassions after I unplug the tv and plug it back in the tv remote does not power it on. I press power on the sony remote and nothing. I pick up and press power on my spectrum remote and it turns on the tv, then my sony remote works?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 5661 Old 02-23-2019, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Hmmm... Is it possible you're not giving it enough time to juice up before pressing power on the first remote? Sometimes between being unplugged and plugged back in, there's a slight delay before it'll power on... It's plausible you tried just a little too soon on the TV remote, but it was ready by the time you pressed it on the Spectrum one? I haven't worked with Sony's lately, so this is a complete guess.
post #4833 of 5661 Old 02-24-2019, 07:00 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 390 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11297 Post(s)
Liked: 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post
How come on 2 different occassions after I unplug the tv and plug it back in the tv remote does not power it on. I press power on the sony remote and nothing. I pick up and press power on my spectrum remote and it turns on the tv, then my sony remote works?
I don’t recall this happening to me. Then, I rarely unplug the TV. Just curious, why would you be unplugging the TV, and do you do this often?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4834 of 5661 Old 02-24-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I don’t recall this happening to me. Then, I rarely unplug the TV. Just curious, why would you be unplugging the TV, and do you do this often?
When I lose my wifi connection!
post #4835 of 5661 Old 02-24-2019, 08:46 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post
When I lose my wifi connection!
Of course, I should have known! Same for me.

I need to call Sony about this minor issue to see what they say. I'm sure they will blame it on my router, even though no other device on my network (I have ~30 devices) ever loses its connection.
thomasfxlt and burts like this.
post #4836 of 5661 Old 02-24-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6663
Quote:
I have lost WiFi at least three times. Each time, a simple re-boot has restored the connection. So, not a big enough issue that I would consider a repair or replace action.
Quote:
Of course, I should have known! Same for me.

I need to call Sony about this minor issue to see what they say. I'm sure they will blame it on my router, even though no other device on my network (I have ~30 devices) ever loses its connection.
Is the connection problem getting worse?
post #4837 of 5661 Old 02-24-2019, 12:22 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Is the connection problem getting worse?
I typically don't make note of how frequently the WiFi connection is lost. The TV does not report the signal loss unless you try and access something that requires an internet connection. Since most of my streaming is using an AppleTV 4K, there can be quite a few days between times when I use the TV for internet access. Regardless, I consider the issue a minor annoyance which can always be fixed with a simple reboot. The only reason I would report this to Sony is to see if they can tell me why it is happening, and what the fix would be.
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #4838 of 5661 Old 02-25-2019, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Had a question for owners I haven't seen discussed much so far: how are people liking the Netflix Calibrated Mode?
post #4839 of 5661 Old 02-25-2019, 06:35 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
Had a question for owners I haven't seen discussed much so far: how are people liking the Netflix Calibrated Mode?
IMO, much of Netflix’s content looks quite good, whether streaming from my AppleTV 4K or from the TV app using Netflix Calibrared Mode. Does it look better using the TV app? It is difficult to tell since A/B comparisons cannot happen quickly. The Netflix Calibrated Mode is not about readily visible PQ attributes like brightness, contrast, color fidelity, etc. Rather, it is about metadata that allows the TV to optimize how it handles the compression algorithms use for various content. Any differences are likely to be subtle, only discernible by a well-trained eye. HST, I have switched to using the TV app for Netflix content, because I subjectively think I am getting a better PQ.
post #4840 of 5661 Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I typically don't make note of how frequently the WiFi connection is lost. The TV does not report the signal loss unless you try and access something that requires an internet connection. Since most of my streaming is using an AppleTV 4K, there can be quite a few days between times when I use the TV for internet access. Regardless, I consider the issue a minor annoyance which can always be fixed with a simple reboot. The only reason I would report this to Sony is to see if they can tell me why it is happening, and what the fix would be.

For what it’s worth I noticed while trying to update the firmware on my z9d that after rebooting the tv by holding the power button down that as soon as it would boot up I would get a message on the screen saying WiFi was not connected. Once android fully booted it would connect. I figured it’s just an android problem but normally I have WiFi disabled. Might be worth calling Sony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4841 of 5661 Old 02-25-2019, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
IMO, much of Netflix’s content looks quite good, whether streaming from my AppleTV 4K or from the TV app using Netflix Calibrared Mode. Does it look better using the TV app? It is difficult to tell since A/B comparisons cannot happen quickly. The Netflix Calibrated Mode is not about readily visible PQ attributes like brightness, contrast, color fidelity, etc. Rather, it is about metadata that allows the TV to optimize how it handles the compression algorithms use for various content. Any differences are likely to be subtle, only discernible by a well-trained eye. HST, I have switched to using the TV app for Netflix content, because I subjectively think I am getting a better PQ.
Thanks! I was under the impression the change was more dramatic than that. I look forward to trying it out myself. Abt has a VERY brief video showing the difference but it's tough to glean much from it. From what I can find, I take it this works no matter what - HDR, Dolby Vision, or standard? In a way, good to know it's not earth-shattering, but I probably will use the mode as long as I'm happy with PQ.

I did read a report from A9F users saying Dolby Vision content in this mode was too dark, but that might be an OLED thing. I've personally found my current OLED is too dark with Dolby Vision as well, and I'm hoping I'm happier on the Z9F.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by sgupta; 02-25-2019 at 03:25 PM.
post #4842 of 5661 Old 02-27-2019, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Should have my 75" Z9F in less than 10 hours. Nervous/excited! I'll try to post at least initial impressions tomorrow night. I'll be coming from a 65" 2016 OLED (E6). Backlight is already all set up (went with Philips Hue Play since I was a bit worried about trying to put Luminoodle around the various removable panels - I really like the Play though, and that I'll be able to adjust brightness and do color changes for special occasions).
thomasfxlt and lucacow like this.
post #4843 of 5661 Old 02-28-2019, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

So it is here! (I have a weird schedule so after playing with it less than an hour after arrival, I *needed* to sleep as the last few days have been crazy and I was already running on empty). Anyways, initial impressions from a bright room: I love it! VERY initial impression - no dead pixels that I can see (I do *NOT* inspect up close, because I'd rather not know - if I don't see it, it doesn't matter). No DSE that I can tell either. Black levels seemed great on Custom out of the box without any tweaking. Netflix looked great in Custom - a bit dark in Netflix Calibrated Mode, but I upped the brightness on that (to Max, actually) and it looks really good now too. I'll play with that. Again, this was in a sunlit room - first dark viewing will be tonight. This thing is a beast, though. I can already tell Dolby Vision and HDR are working much better than on the OLED. Had a few initial issues with setup that I figured out (I'll detail in my fuller report later), but TL;DR version is, though I was concerned moving from an OLED with perfect blacks, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love this thing and that I can already say it has a better picture for what I personally look for. Look for a much fuller report later after I get some dark viewing time and watch some actual content (hopefully tonight depending on how much setup I need to do - going to recalibrate audio since my speakers got moved too). Wanted to at least get this much out tho'!

Question: is there a settings thread for this TV, or is this the best place to discuss that right now?
JoelArt and MechaGodzilla like this.
post #4844 of 5661 Old 02-28-2019, 07:32 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:

Question: is there a settings thread for this TV, or is this the best place to discuss that right now?
There is a calibration thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...on-thread.html
post #4845 of 5661 Old 02-28-2019, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks!
post #4846 of 5661 Old 03-01-2019, 03:30 AM
Advanced Member

So a few more observations after playing with it quite a bit tonight!

- Custom out of the box with default setting is pretty darn good! Still playing with some settings, but I'm liking it!

- Man does this get bright on white scenes at the default 35 brightness compared to my OLED, even with a backlight. I still have to figure out if I want to get used to it like that or decrease brightness.

- I'm liking the Dolby Vision much better than I did on OLED, though I still find dark movies uncomfortably dark for my liking. Boosting Gamma to max for the Dolby Vision Bright setting seems to make it more pleasant for me.

- On the menu screens and Netflix (while NOT playing something), yes, I see some of the clouding people have talked about. But it doesn't bother me - that's clearly certain things the TV uses to make the picture better not kicking in when in a menu. As soon as I go to watch something, it looks great.

- Yes, on HDR/Dolby Vision, I do see blooming in black bars, even with a backlight. However, I'm pleased to report it doesn't bother me personally, and I haven't noticed it being a problem leaking into actual content. For me, psychology has a lot to do with it - knowing it's the way the technology works and thinking of it as an extension of the picture/backlight (just as any light source casts light around it) lets me accept it and stop worrying so much. But if you hate any thought of blooming into black bars, this TV probably isn't for you. IMO, though, focusing on only that is discounting all the stuff this TV is good at.

- Some things do indeed reflect as lines horizontal on the screen as reported due to the viewing angle filter. It's just weird to see! Nothing too distracting so far, though there is one reflection I occasionally see on a really dark screen I'd like to sort out. (I'm theorizing it's a bright screen on a computer monitor right behind my theater room, but I haven't turned it off to test that yet). It is a bit more reflective than my OLED (though it's also bigger, so that could be some of it).

- Motion handling is superb and MUCH better than my OLED. I remember having to get used to the "jumpyness" of an OLED after having a plasma, with no fix available - it was just the way it was. This is quite a nice upgrade.

- Viewing angles are great! Almost as good as the OLED.

- I had one signal issue when trying Dolby Vision on the Apple TV. NOTE: You need to go into Home and Settings and adjust the HDMI port you're using (3 in my case for ARC) to Enhanced mode. You can't get to this from the normal picture settings, which is where I was looking at first. As soon as that was set, it worked perfectly.

- Aside from that settings problem, things that would normally require me to switch sources and back again on the OLED due to a static screen don't seem to be doing that on this TV, so I'm hoping it's better at handshakes. =) So far, so good!

- It took me a minute to realize that while Dolby Vision is a separate mode, HDR is not, and there's no immediate indication it switched to HDR. Definitely a much smoother transition, but it will take some time to get used to.

- This seems to have indeed fixed the audio issues I was having with the LG OLED when trying to play 24p content or content with HDR/DV in anything but 60 frames. So that's a huge fix for me as well.

Overall, still a lot to get used to, but I think I'm really going to enjoy this. I have yet to even try gaming, but I should be getting there in the next couple days. I have 2 more Spider-Man DLC's to play, and that should be a spectacular HDR test for this TV given how great the game looked on the OLED.
MechaGodzilla likes this.
post #4847 of 5661 Old 03-01-2019, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
So a few more observations after playing with it quite a bit tonight!

- Custom out of the box with default setting is pretty darn good! Still playing with some settings, but I'm liking it!

- Man does this get bright on white scenes at the default 35 brightness compared to my OLED, even with a backlight. I still have to figure out if I want to get used to it like that or decrease brightness.

- I'm liking the Dolby Vision much better than I did on OLED, though I still find dark movies uncomfortably dark for my liking. Boosting Gamma to max for the Dolby Vision Bright setting seems to make it more pleasant for me.

- On the menu screens and Netflix (while NOT playing something), yes, I see some of the clouding people have talked about. But it doesn't bother me - that's clearly certain things the TV uses to make the picture better not kicking in when in a menu. As soon as I go to watch something, it looks great.

- Yes, on HDR/Dolby Vision, I do see blooming in black bars, even with a backlight. However, I'm pleased to report it doesn't bother me personally, and I haven't noticed it being a problem leaking into actual content. For me, psychology has a lot to do with it - knowing it's the way the technology works and thinking of it as an extension of the picture/backlight (just as any light source casts light around it) lets me accept it and stop worrying so much. But if you hate any thought of blooming into black bars, this TV probably isn't for you. IMO, though, focusing on only that is discounting all the stuff this TV is good at.

- Some things do indeed reflect as lines horizontal on the screen as reported due to the viewing angle filter. It's just weird to see! Nothing too distracting so far, though there is one reflection I occasionally see on a really dark screen I'd like to sort out. (I'm theorizing it's a bright screen on a computer monitor right behind my theater room, but I haven't turned it off to test that yet). It is a bit more reflective than my OLED (though it's also bigger, so that could be some of it).

- Motion handling is superb and MUCH better than my OLED. I remember having to get used to the "jumpyness" of an OLED after having a plasma, with no fix available - it was just the way it was. This is quite a nice upgrade.

- Viewing angles are great! Almost as good as the OLED.

- I had one signal issue when trying Dolby Vision on the Apple TV. NOTE: You need to go into Home and Settings and adjust the HDMI port you're using (3 in my case for ARC) to Enhanced mode. You can't get to this from the normal picture settings, which is where I was looking at first. As soon as that was set, it worked perfectly.

- Aside from that settings problem, things that would normally require me to switch sources and back again on the OLED due to a static screen don't seem to be doing that on this TV, so I'm hoping it's better at handshakes. 😃 So far, so good!

- It took me a minute to realize that while Dolby Vision is a separate mode, HDR is not, and there's no immediate indication it switched to HDR. Definitely a much smoother transition, but it will take some time to get used to.

- This seems to have indeed fixed the audio issues I was having with the LG OLED when trying to play 24p content or content with HDR/DV in anything but 60 frames. So that's a huge fix for me as well.

Overall, still a lot to get used to, but I think I'm really going to enjoy this. I have yet to even try gaming, but I should be getting there in the next couple days. I have 2 more Spider-Man DLC's to play, and that should be a spectacular HDR test for this TV given how great the game looked on the OLED.
Hey I'm happy you love the set as well. Be aware about Spider Man though. For being such a stunning game its HDR implementation is bad. It was the first title I tried on my previous Q9FN and I thought the TV didn't work as everything turned dull. The game is probably mastered by an imcompetent/inexperienced person at the game studio on a weak OLED that maxes out at around 650nit while our ZF9 can do up to about 1900nit. In HDR the sun looks"gray" and everything in the image is too dark compared to the SDR version where the sun is properly white and the whole image had contrast and good exposure. God of War is hit and miss as well. Many locations have different peak white so when you've done your HDR settings and they look good in one location they blow out completely in another. Again this is likely due to people responsible using weak OLEDs. My guess is those OLED TV does aggressive auto tonemaping and you as a game development trying to grade the Peaks will think they look correct due to the TV compensating for you. I would rather recommend RE2 Remake or Forza Horizon 4 for some stunning examples. But luckily for you and Spiderman there is a kind of work around. If you set Live Color to Max under Color settings. The TV will stretch/remap the images luminosity range so the peak whites will become fully exposed. I just be aware that some scenes will be brighter than they should even if you play a game that does HDR correctly so try and avoid using Live Color if possible on proper HDR material. BTW Detroit becoming human has good HDR as well.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")

Last edited by JoelArt; 03-01-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #4848 of 5661 Old 03-01-2019, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback, JoelArt!

I played the main game with HDR on my OLED, so I have a pretty good point of reference there. (It looked great, but maybe very slightly challenged in darker scenes). For fun, I did try this out. I'm not sure my conclusions are the same, so I'm not sure if perhaps they may have changed the implementation since you tried it, if it was something with the Q9FN specifically, or if subjectively just looks good to me, but I didn't seem to have problems with HDR mode at the default settings.

I will say, in general (regular game mode as well as HDR), the default game mode on this TV is much warmer than it was on my OLED. For whatever reason, while the ISF Dark mode on the OLED was quite warm and pretty similar to Custom on the Z9F, Game mode on the OLED was pretty neutral with a lot of added color pop, and I'd grown a bit used to that look. The OLED game mode resembled more what the Z9F looks like for content on Standard instead of Cinema or Custom. So it'll take me a bit to get used to this warmer and less poppy look for gaming, but it also looks more natural at the end of the day.

For Spider-Man, that extends to HDR as well. The difference for me between SDR and HDR is subtle. SDR does have a bit more color pop overall, but I'd argue the HDR mode actually looks more natural. It's a tough call in some scenes, but it seems to be more apparent when you have a lot of shadow detail present. I briefly tried scenes in day, night, and sunset, and it looked good in all three, with large amounts of detail visible in both SDR and HDR. I wouldn't say the sun never looked gray to me, and the game looks great in both modes, honestly, to my subjective eyes. I think SDR has the edge in pop, but HDR has the edge in looking a bit more realistic with more detail around light sources, so I'll probably stick with the HDR. I may play with Live Color, but I try to avoid enhancements if they're unnatural, even if I tend to like the extra pop. We'll see. I only played with it maybe half an hour, so there's more to try out.

I do have RE2 as well, but I'll probably play that closer to Halloween. =oP
post #4849 of 5661 Old 03-02-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, JoelArt!

I played the main game with HDR on my OLED, so I have a pretty good point of reference there. (It looked great, but maybe very slightly challenged in darker scenes). For fun, I did try this out. I'm not sure my conclusions are the same, so I'm not sure if perhaps they may have changed the implementation since you tried it, if it was something with the Q9FN specifically, or if subjectively just looks good to me, but I didn't seem to have problems with HDR mode at the default settings.

I will say, in general (regular game mode as well as HDR), the default game mode on this TV is much warmer than it was on my OLED. For whatever reason, while the ISF Dark mode on the OLED was quite warm and pretty similar to Custom on the Z9F, Game mode on the OLED was pretty neutral with a lot of added color pop, and I'd grown a bit used to that look. The OLED game mode resembled more what the Z9F looks like for content on Standard instead of Cinema or Custom. So it'll take me a bit to get used to this warmer and less poppy look for gaming, but it also looks more natural at the end of the day.

For Spider-Man, that extends to HDR as well. The difference for me between SDR and HDR is subtle. SDR does have a bit more color pop overall, but I'd argue the HDR mode actually looks more natural. It's a tough call in some scenes, but it seems to be more apparent when you have a lot of shadow detail present. I briefly tried scenes in day, night, and sunset, and it looked good in all three, with large amounts of detail visible in both SDR and HDR. I wouldn't say the sun never looked gray to me, and the game looks great in both modes, honestly, to my subjective eyes. I think SDR has the edge in pop, but HDR has the edge in looking a bit more realistic with more detail around light sources, so I'll probably stick with the HDR. I may play with Live Color, but I try to avoid enhancements if they're unnatural, even if I tend to like the extra pop. We'll see. I only played with it maybe half an hour, so there's more to try out.

I do have RE2 as well, but I'll probably play that closer to Halloween. =oP
In Spiderman if you look at the sun during daytime in SDR, then at the same location, go in to the games settings and toggle to HDR and you will se that it lowers the Suns brightness so it's now light gray. It really shouldn't look this way, it should max out at the displays capability, at least a white day sun. Also Spiderman will look good on almost any OLED and this is due to OLED getting brighter than 900nit and most are around 700-800 nits. It's important to know that the HDR values are of an absolute scale, if a game send a sun with an intensity of 650 nit and you have a display capable of only 650nit the sun will look white on that TV, but when you have a TV capable of 1900nit then the sun will look gray. But if you had a game with a sun of 10.000nit then it will look good on both displays, they simply failed at taking more capable displays in to account when they did Spiderman.

About color, I recommend Color Temp. Expert 1 as this is closest to the D65 white point as I understand it. And personally I often run with a saturation at 60 rather than the default 50. Using a cooler temp will just exaggerate blue colors and the industry color grades everything at the D65 point.
post #4850 of 5661 Old 03-02-2019, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
In Spiderman if you look at the sun during daytime in SDR, then at the same location, go in to the games settings and toggle to HDR and you will se that it lowers the Suns brightness so it's now light gray. It really shouldn't look this way, it should max out at the displays capability, at least a white day sun. Also Spiderman will look good on almost any OLED and this is due to OLED getting brighter than 900nit and most are around 700-800 nits. It's important to know that the HDR values are of an absolute scale, if a game send a sun with an intensity of 650 nit and you have a display capable of only 650nit the sun will look white on that TV, but when you have a TV capable of 1900nit then the sun will look gray. But if you had a game with a sun of 10.000nit then it will look good on both displays, they simply failed at taking more capable displays in to account when they did Spiderman.

About color, I recommend Color Temp. Expert 1 as this is closest to the D65 white point as I understand it. And personally I often run with a saturation at 60 rather than the default 50. Using a cooler temp will just exaggerate blue colors and the industry color grades everything at the D65 point.
Thanks much! I am indeed using Expert 1. Brightness (which for Sony's is actually Backlight) is where I'm struggling, but I think I'm happy with 16 for now...which is bright enough for daytime but not so bright as to hurt my eyes in the dark.

Re Spider-Man, I switched back and forth a lot, and both looked good to my eyes, honestly. The SDR popped a tad more, but the HDR looked more natural, and I think I preferred it in the end. I'll take another look at the sun. It still appeared orange to me, though perhaps not quite so much as the SDR, from what I recall. Both modes looked good to me though (but again, that's subjective).

SDR games on the PS4 look WAY different. I knew the OLED defaulted to cool, but I think it had quite a bit of color processing as well. I'll need to get used to that processing removed, but I think I'll have a more natural picture at the end of the day. (Not gonna lie - I miss it a little, but I think only because I'm used to it, similar to how people grow used to a cool color setting). I may consider turning color up if I end up not liking this, but I feel like I should try to get used to natural color first.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's much appreciated to figuring this out.

Despite a little frustration finding all the perfect settings, this TV is a beast. I had no worries about running at default brightness on the OLED as it was never too bright for me. This thing has headroom, and that's a good thing - I just have to dial in the settings that I'm happy with.

I sampled a bit of Spider-Verse in Dolby Vision (at the default gamma; not upped), and...man...it couldn't have looked any better! Still have to figure out why some things are dark in DV, but I may just do dark with the defaults and bright with the increased gamma and call it a day. I tend to overthink sometimes. =oP

I had an old plasma calibrated by ChadB, who did a great job. I didn't do that with the OLED as frankly, I never felt it quite needed it. But depending, I MIGHT consider it once again with this TV, just because there's a lot more headroom than I'm used to.

All that said, I think I made a good choice here. It's a killer TV. I was a little worried about DSE or a bad panel, and I'm happy to say, as far as I can tell, my panel is great!
post #4851 of 5661 Old 03-02-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks much! I am indeed using Expert 1. Brightness (which for Sony's is actually Backlight) is where I'm struggling, but I think I'm happy with 16 for now...which is bright enough for daytime but not so bright as to hurt my eyes in the dark.

Re Spider-Man, I switched back and forth a lot, and both looked good to my eyes, honestly. The SDR popped a tad more, but the HDR looked more natural, and I think I preferred it in the end. I'll take another look at the sun. It still appeared orange to me, though perhaps not quite so much as the SDR, from what I recall. Both modes looked good to me though (but again, that's subjective).

SDR games on the PS4 look WAY different. I knew the OLED defaulted to cool, but I think it had quite a bit of color processing as well. I'll need to get used to that processing removed, but I think I'll have a more natural picture at the end of the day. (Not gonna lie - I miss it a little, but I think only because I'm used to it, similar to how people grow used to a cool color setting). I may consider turning color up if I end up not liking this, but I feel like I should try to get used to natural color first.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's much appreciated to figuring this out.

Despite a little frustration finding all the perfect settings, this TV is a beast. I had no worries about running at default brightness on the OLED as it was never too bright for me. This thing has headroom, and that's a good thing - I just have to dial in the settings that I'm happy with.

I sampled a bit of Spider-Verse in Dolby Vision (at the default gamma; not upped), and...man...it couldn't have looked any better! Still have to figure out why some things are dark in DV, but I may just do dark with the defaults and bright with the increased gamma and call it a day. I tend to overthink sometimes. =oP

I had an old plasma calibrated by ChadB, who did a great job. I didn't do that with the OLED as frankly, I never felt it quite needed it. But depending, I MIGHT consider it once again with this TV, just because there's a lot more headroom than I'm used to.

All that said, I think I made a good choice here. It's a killer TV. I was a little worried about DSE or a bad panel, and I'm happy to say, as far as I can tell, my panel is great!
Regarding brightness I have the Light Limit (room light sensor) turned on in all SDR content and then set my l brightness to 35 most of the time, works great and I don't have to change the brightness manually as often from day to afternoon to evening.

Also the sun in Spiderman should never be "orange" because we are talking about day time, right? That is when you should check the sun for its dimmer appearance.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #4852 of 5661 Old 03-02-2019, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Good to know. I did try the light sensor, but it just seems too dim to me (probably because I'm used to a brighter image). I'll take another look at the Spider-Man during the regular in-game daytime. (I was playing some in each time of day.) Thanks!
post #4853 of 5661 Old 03-03-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Good to know. I did try the light sensor, but it just seems too dim to me (probably because I'm used to a brighter image). I'll take another look at the Spider-Man during the regular in-game daytime. (I was playing some in each time of day.) Thanks!
Set the sensor on and set the backlight to Max. So it's 120nits in a black room but adjusts up as the room lighting increases. That's how I use it.
JoelArt likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #4854 of 5661 Old 03-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Set the sensor on and set the backlight to Max. So it's 120nits in a black room but adjusts up as the room lighting increases. That's how I use it.
Interesting. Tell me why this is a better strategy than having the sensor off and brightness at 29?
post #4855 of 5661 Old 03-03-2019, 10:43 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by agincourt View Post
Interesting. Tell me why this is a better strategy than having the sensor off and brightness at 29?
First of all, brightness at 29 is much brighter than the 120 nit standard for SDR. I suspect that with the sensor on, the automatic adjustment target is close to the 120 nit standard. Of course, if you find this too dark, there is noting wrong with raising the brightness setting. So, neither way is "better". Your preference is all that matters. Some of us prefer settings closer to "reference".
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #4856 of 5661 Old 03-03-2019, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
For me it's better because I like 120nits in a dark room setting and it brightens up well for me as my room lighting increases. This was for SDR I never have to worry about changing anything. Also easy for the rest of my family who don't touch the settings.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #4857 of 5661 Old 03-03-2019, 12:46 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
For me it's better because I like 120nits in a dark room setting and it brightens up well for me as my room lighting increases. This was for SDR I never have to worry about changing anything. Also easy for the rest of my family who don't touch the settings.
I’m trying to be open-minded, so I enabled the Light Sensor with brightness set to max. Seems a little on the dark side to me, but I will withhold judgement for a while.
post #4858 of 5661 Old 03-03-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
With the sensor on the TV will adjust it's brightness to the room ambient light level. You can still sett the brightness to what ever you want and the TV will try and keep that relative brightness level when the environment changes brightness. This is great as I don't have to manually adjust the brightness from day to evening to night as I would have if I turned the sensor off. I only turn the sensor off in situations I want maximum brightness regardless of the room level.
post #4859 of 5661 Old 03-03-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I’m trying to be open-minded, so I enabled the Light Sensor with brightness set to max. Seems a little on the dark side to me, but I will withhold judgement for a while.
I hear you. Again it's what I like. Also I use gamma at 0 (2.2) for normal watching. If I watch with no lights on at all I normally change gamma to -2 (2.4).

Everyone has their thing that works for them. You may like it you may not. 🏼 Look forward to your results.
Usually custom pro1 is set for everyday SDR/HDR not DV viewing. I use custom pro 2 for no light SDR/HDR viewing with some tweaks like gamma and such.

post #4860 of 5661 Old 03-04-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Hey I'm happy you love the set as well. Be aware about Spider Man though. For being such a stunning game its HDR implementation is bad. It was the first title I tried on my previous Q9FN and I thought the TV didn't work as everything turned dull. The game is probably mastered by an imcompetent/inexperienced person at the game studio on a weak OLED that maxes out at around 650nit while our ZF9 can do up to about 1900nit. In HDR the sun looks"gray" and everything in the image is too dark compared to the SDR version where the sun is properly white and the whole image had contrast and good exposure. God of War is hit and miss as well. Many locations have different peak white so when you've done your HDR settings and they look good in one location they blow out completely in another. Again this is likely due to people responsible using weak OLEDs. My guess is those OLED TV does aggressive auto tonemaping and you as a game development trying to grade the Peaks will think they look correct due to the TV compensating for you. I would rather recommend RE2 Remake or Forza Horizon 4 for some stunning examples. But luckily for you and Spiderman there is a kind of work around. If you set Live Color to Max under Color settings. The TV will stretch/remap the images luminosity range so the peak whites will become fully exposed. I just be aware that some scenes will be brighter than they should even if you play a game that does HDR correctly so try and avoid using Live Color if possible on proper HDR material. BTW Detroit becoming human has good HDR as well.

At least Spiderman isn't as bad as the fake HDR in Red Dead Repemption 2. Have you played Horizon? I thought its HDR implementation looked quite good, though it was the first HDR game I played after I bought my TV, so I may have been impressed solely based on the novelty of HDR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page