Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019) - Page 168 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4168Likes

post #5011 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5152 Post(s)
Liked: 3623
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
I wanted to post that I had an opportunity to see a Z9F directly next to an late model OLED very recently. There is no denying that the accuracy of the shadows, relative to detail and gradation, are much better on the Z9F. Yes, black was blacker on the OLED but the shadow-end reproduction on the OLED I examined looked grainy and the image lacked smooth gradation in the deep shadow tones. Perhaps that can be improved w calibration but OTB certainly was not impressive.

This is an outstanding set for theatrical reference reproduction and I think we can all be certain that our blacks are better than the best projection can offer.

That’s what I’ve got. I’m spending less time here because of all the negativity on AVS. I literally cannot stand it. I’m glad we’ve collectively kept the trolls out of our thread for the most part. Unfortunately Sony’s lost the PR battle with the Z so I’m sure they’re plotting their next move.

I for one will not be buying any television from any manufacturer that will not provide long-term burn-in protection (no matter how great the picture is). The Z9F is not a perfect display and it should be less expensive but it’s clearly the best LCD that money can buy for multi-purpose use. Between the improvements to uniformity and viewing angle, Sony produced a set that solved 2 of the biggest issues with LCD’s and we’ve all been witness to the sideshow that commenced as a result. Shame on the professional “reviewers” for downplaying the OLED issues and propping up these organic displays without more emphasis. Seems like they’re simply pandering to the checkbook/boutique crowd and sending the totally false perception that any LCD is basically a Walmart/Costco display. NOT THE CASE.

Kudos to some in the thread (with similar backgrounds to mine) that shoot straight on this set (caveats included). It’s a sad reality that we have to rely on guys like VT on Youtube and their biased reviews vs being able to go to our local HT retailer and give these displays a good audition. Unfortunately, those days are gone. We’re stuck with BB and their purchasing department’s flavor of the month. Instead, we sit around and wait for a few guys to “bless” a display less we get roasted here on our favorite forum.
I couldn't have said it any better. I use to enjoy posting in AVS but now I have digressed. I'm rewatching my collection and most recently watching the Harry Potter series for the first time. I'm blown away at what this set can do. I too have seen this along side the best OLEDs and I am not disappointed in my decision and unless OLED can produce the same color volume filled 1500 plus nit image brilliance and shadow detail quality this TV produces, I will never own one.
It's hilarious what the industry does to tech..... The same tech dubs that pushed away Plasma are now at it again.
thomasfxlt likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5012 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
I wanted to post that I had an opportunity to see a Z9F directly next to an late model OLED very recently. There is no denying that the accuracy of the shadows, relative to detail and gradation, are much better on the Z9F. Yes, black was blacker on the OLED but the shadow-end reproduction on the OLED I examined looked grainy and the image lacked smooth gradation in the deep shadow tones. Perhaps that can be improved w calibration but OTB certainly was not impressive.

This is an outstanding set for theatrical reference reproduction and I think we can all be certain that our blacks are better than the best projection can offer.

That’s what I’ve got. I’m spending less time here because of all the negativity on AVS. I literally cannot stand it. I’m glad we’ve collectively kept the trolls out of our thread for the most part. Unfortunately Sony’s lost the PR battle with the Z so I’m sure they’re plotting their next move.

I for one will not be buying any television from any manufacturer that will not provide long-term burn-in protection (no matter how great the picture is). The Z9F is not a perfect display and it should be less expensive but it’s clearly the best LCD that money can buy for multi-purpose use. Between the improvements to uniformity and viewing angle, Sony produced a set that solved 2 of the biggest issues with LCD’s and we’ve all been witness to the sideshow that commenced as a result. Shame on the professional “reviewers” for downplaying the OLED issues and propping up these organic displays without more emphasis. Seems like they’re simply pandering to the checkbook/boutique crowd and sending the totally false perception that any LCD is basically a Walmart/Costco display. NOT THE CASE.

Kudos to some in the thread (with similar backgrounds to mine) that shoot straight on this set (caveats included). It’s a sad reality that we have to rely on guys like VT on Youtube and their biased reviews vs being able to go to our local HT retailer and give these displays a good audition. Unfortunately, those days are gone. We’re stuck with BB and their purchasing department’s flavor of the month. Instead, we sit around and wait for a few guys to “bless” a display less we get roasted here on our favorite forum.
WORD. Vincent Toh and the AVS mob have destroyed the reputation of the Z9F without offering a better LCD alternative. I love this set and am blown away viewing great source material. It's not an issue of me defending a product I own because I could have returned the set and purched "the better alternative".
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #5013 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2707
Well my little brother with x-wide 75X950G comes tomorrow which is also completely bashed around these parts. I wanted the Z9F but couldn't justify the price for my secondary TV. It is crazy what is going on in Europe WRT the Z9F vs. x950G and pricing...not sure what the heck Sony is doing over there (or here for that matter).

Best Buy doesn't help the Z9F either...my store has it displayed in the "island of misfit toys" TV aisle between Magnolia and the main Sony display area. It's crazy what is going on with this set.
thomasfxlt likes this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5014 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Well my little brother with x-wide 75X950G comes tomorrow which is also completely bashed around these parts. I wanted the Z9F but couldn't justify the price for my secondary TV. It is crazy what is going on in Europe WRT the Z9F vs. x950G and pricing...not sure what the heck Sony is doing over there (or here for that matter).

Best Buy doesn't help the Z9F either...my store has it displayed in the "island of misfit toys" TV aisle between Magnolia and the main Sony display area. It's crazy what is going on with this set.
I have viewed the Z9F and 9QLN Samsung side by side at the 3 best buys near me. On shadow detail, contrast and brightness of the Z9F blows the Samsung away at each store. I say that being a Samsung fan and having owned theirs for the last 10 years. This doesnt even include the superior Sony upscaling and motion handling which is the best in the industry.
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #5015 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 6192
Quote:

I bet the 950 is going to perform very well.

BB/Magnolia has slid so far down in competence that I can’t even fault the people working there. They have almost NO experience and the few capable integrators they have are handling the $100,000 rooms. They can’t even display a variety of content anymore. You know you’re hosed when they think you’re going to make a $6000 decision based on demo material and the TV set to VIVID.... hence why the rise in popularity of the YouTube reviewers. And that’s another topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bluemoon737 likes this.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #5016 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agincourt View Post
I have viewed the Z9F and 9QLN Samsung side by side at the 3 best buys near me. On shadow detail, contrast and brightness of the Z9F blows the Samsung away at each store. I say that being a Samsung fan and having owned theirs for the last 10 years. This doesnt even include the superior Sony upscaling and motion handling which is the best in the industry.

It’s such a great display but BB reps are afraid to even show it because it’s been curb-stomped by the inky black crowd (and the 10,000 zones are essential gang).

What’s almost humorous is that they’ll be happy to usher you into one of the dedicated projector rooms and proceed to tell you how great the new “laser” $30,000 projector is. (can we talk about native contrast)?

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #5017 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
I bet the 950 is going to perform very well.

BB/Magnolia has slid so far down in competence that I can’t even fault the people working there. They have almost NO experience and the few capable integrators they have are handling the $100,000 rooms. They can’t even display a variety of content anymore. You know you’re hosed when they think you’re going to make a $6000 decision based on demo material and the TV set to VIVID.... hence why the rise in popularity of the YouTube reviewers. And that’s another topic.

I went to a local magnolia yesterday, he actually had a tablet and on command for me put on a live feed of direct tv, any channel i wanted to look at, 4k blu ray movies from kaleidoscope, and whatever else I wanted to see at the touch of a button, along with the remotes to the TV's so I could fiddle with settings to compare with all the TV's they had running. It's all location dependent, sounds like yours suck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5018 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019)

That’s the entire opposite of my latest experience. Was that in one of the dedicated rooms or in an area where they have a multiple display wall?

Don’t want to give the wrong impression that I want to hate on BB. Actually the opposite. AV enthusiasts need them to up their game so we can actually rely on someone to inventory and demo gear. I’m happy to buy from them (and actually have for my large HT purchases). The return policy is very good. I’ve seen a consistent slide in rep experience personally and have had a very difficult time getting real world demo on some very expensive tv’s.

Last edited by thomasfxlt; 04-07-2019 at 06:47 PM.
post #5019 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agincourt View Post

It’s such a great display but BB reps are afraid to even show it because it’s been curb-stomped by the inky black crowd (and the 10,000 zones are essential gang).

What’s almost humorous is that they’ll be happy to usher you into one of the dedicated projector rooms and proceed to tell you how great the new “laser” $30,000 projector is. (can we talk about native contrast)?

No kidding! Today I watched Harry Potter 5 & 6 using ATV4K on iTunes and the black levels were awesome once again. Yea the typical cinema bars glow was there if you looked for them but when you're watching this TV, your eyes melt into the image and they just don't bother. I only notice them when I look at them. There was zero noticable bloom in the movie. Very well mastered.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #5020 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Maybe one day when we meet I can invite you over for some viewing. I don't think you could make sense of what some claim after watching some HDR..... Really watching, not pausing on scenes.
bluemoon737 likes this.

post #5021 of 5722 Old 04-07-2019, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I think experience with Best Buys and such really varies. I will say since I needed some help with installation, I elected to go with them this time, and the people who helped unpack and set me up couldn't have been nicer or more professional. But I don't think our local store even had a Z9F to view - I had to get a brief view of it in a 24-hour NYC store (and there wasn't really anyone around to help change demos, etc.).

Re reviewers, possibly an unpopular opinion, but I don't think they do a bad job in general and are giving their honest takes on these TV's. I like Vincent as well as RTINGS, but I think it's important to realize a lot of it comes down to *opinions* on certain things (like the X-Wide viewing layer not being worth the changes to contrast, for example) as well as a relatively short period of time with each setup. Heck, it's taken me *weeks* to dial in settings and get where I'm finally fairly happy with them and just enjoying my content, and I disagree with certain reviewer conclusions (for example, I learned I really don't like X-tended Dynamic Range for SDR, even though it's often suggested). Neither review for the Z9F was bad, but people hear what they want to hear (both pro and anti). Because the F has fewer zones and less contrast in benchmark situations than the D, even though it's much brighter, has wide viewing angles, has better input lag, has a very fast processor, etc., people unfortunately tend to focus on that aspect of it because of the relation to its predecessor, even though people who own it are quite pleased in actual usage situations.

Because of those perfect blacks, OLED's are going appear punchier at first glance. It takes more time and nuanced viewing to detect the stuff you're *not* seeing on OLED in the shadows. I also have a theory the auto-brightness-limiting of OLED's allows for brighter aspects of dark-to-medium-scenes without eye-searing bright scenes ever happening, even though that also unbalances the picture and makes it much less accurate. (IE, if a game has a bright white menu screen, you can run a brighter equivalent setting on an OLED than you could as comfortably on an LCD, because OLED dims down the brightest screens since it can't handle them, whereas you're gonna get ACTUAL brightness on LCD, so for comfy viewing, might need to take the general brightness down to a more comfortable level).

Personally, having come from OLED, I'm noticing a lot more shadow detail that I was missing before, and the whites are much brighter even though certain aspects of the picture I've had to get used to for being not quite as bright (to get to a comfortable overall viewing level). I feel like I can see EVERYTHING now though. Not having to worry about burn-in has been wonderful, and HDR is so much better on the OLED I finally feel like I'm experiencing actual HDR for the first time. (I tried to watch HDR on the OLED for quite some time, but always ended up disappointed and eventually stopped viewing HDR content most of the time; it was just miserably dim.)

Overall, I've got to agree. I think this is one of, if not the best, all-around LCD TV on the market, and I'm happy with my purchase. I do worry we're heading into a time, as some reviewers seem to indicate, where all the high-end TV's are OLED, and from my previous burn-in experiences, that's pretty upsetting to me.
post #5022 of 5722 Old 04-08-2019, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 4621 Post(s)
Liked: 5617
You won't need to discuss the Z9D anymore because I think no more are being built and what ever stock there is, is pretty much gone.
thomasfxlt likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 04-08-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #5023 of 5722 Old 04-08-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6864 Post(s)
Liked: 6863
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
6 thousand dollar TV and I'm forced to look at sponsors?
It is amazing, just watching any TV show, it seems the commercials get longer and longer. It's ridiculous.
post #5024 of 5722 Old 04-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone have a DV capable 4K Blu-Ray player recommendation for the Z9F?
Thank you
post #5025 of 5722 Old 04-08-2019, 03:13 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 412 Post(s)
Quoted: 11513 Post(s)
Liked: 6809
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBunny View Post
Does anyone have a DV capable 4K Blu-Ray player recommendation for the Z9F?
Thank you
From a PQ quality perspective, I don’t think you are going to find a big difference among the choices out there. Some may have features that others don’t have. I have an Oppo 203, which unfortunately is no longer being manufactured.
post #5026 of 5722 Old 04-08-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
From a PQ quality perspective, I don’t think you are going to find a big difference among the choices out there. Some may have features that others don’t have. I have an Oppo 203, which unfortunately is no longer being manufactured.

It may be just confirmation bias but last week I disconnected the x700 from my z9d and replaced it with the Panasonic 820 and to my eyes uhd and sdr looks better. Or maybe I’m just justifying the higher price.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #5027 of 5722 Old 04-08-2019, 04:17 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
It may be just confirmation bias but last week I disconnected the x700 from my z9d and replaced it with the Panasonic 820 and to my eyes uhd and sdr looks better. Or maybe I’m just justifying the higher price.
Perceived PQ differences may be the result of where you are choosing to up-scale the image. If you up-scale in the player, different players may perform differently. If you pass the signal to the Sony and do the up-scaling there, PQ quality differences between different players will be minimized. And, of course, I am a firm believer that nothing does a better job at up-scaling than the Bravia up-scaler.

Then it could be expectation bias...
gomo657 likes this.
post #5028 of 5722 Old 04-08-2019, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Snagged a floor demo 65z9f at BB for a ridiculous $1301.99. I couldn't believe it, just the day before it was $1854. Not sure when I will have it delivered, due to busy schedule, but I had to jump on it at that price. Check your BB as they are all shedding their floor model Z9Fs

Last edited by Sonyboy; 04-08-2019 at 07:54 PM. Reason: quote
post #5029 of 5722 Old 04-08-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
Snagged a floor demo 65z9f at BB for a ridiculous $1301.99. I couldn't believe it, just the day before it was $1854. Not sure when I will have it delivered, due to busy schedule, but I had to jump on it at that price. Check your BB as they are all shedding their floor model Z9Fs
Enjoy. I did the same.
post #5030 of 5722 Old 04-08-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Perceived PQ differences may be the result of where you are choosing to up-scale the image. If you up-scale in the player, different players may perform differently. If you pass the signal to the Sony and do the up-scaling there, PQ quality differences between different players will be minimized. And, of course, I am a firm believer that nothing does a better job at up-scaling than the Bravia up-scaler.

Then it could be expectation bias...
I do find that should be the case. Only time where I think internal scaler (of player) could do better (potentially) is if any mixing is being done on player (closed captions, menu highlights) but don't know reality of implementation. I will take a look at the panasonic player. I was interest in Sony x700 too but the DV needing to be toggled seemed annoying to me. Thank you all for recommendations!

Last edited by RabidBunny; 04-08-2019 at 08:16 PM.
post #5031 of 5722 Old 04-09-2019, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
It is amazing, just watching any TV show, it seems the commercials get longer and longer. It's ridiculous.
I was talking about the Android TV home screen on the TV now shows sponsored channels that can't be turned off.

post #5032 of 5722 Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
I was talking about the Android TV home screen on the TV now shows sponsored channels that can't be turned off.
When I updated my EU ZF9 the where a screen where you could tick check boxes for data gathering but also recommendations and such. I only ticked the data gathering for Sony's performance improvements. I don't think I can see the sponsored row as a result. Maybe it's possible to change this in the settings some where.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #5033 of 5722 Old 04-09-2019, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quick question - with Local Dimming on medium, I still run into very occasional situations where starfields (completely black background with quite small stars) dim down more than they should (still visible, but the stars aren't nearly as bright as they should be). The only solution I've found is to temporarily turn the Local Dimming to Low for that scene. I'm assuming that's the only thing a person can do for this issue? (I'd also assume this is something all FALD TV's occasionally do - this is my first, so I just want to make sure there's nothing I'm missing.) Thanks!
post #5034 of 5722 Old 04-10-2019, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 44
this tv is stellar. im loving my 65 inch set
post #5035 of 5722 Old 04-10-2019, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ads-...emove-sony-ads

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #5036 of 5722 Old 04-10-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Big price drops coming soon...

LIVING ROOM - Sony XBR65Z9D; Anthem MRX-720; ATI 1805 amp; Triad Silver 5.1.2 Atmos; Oppo 203; AppleTV4k; Roku Ultra; Panamax M5400PM; Control4 HC800
UPSTAIRS LIVING - Sony XBR65X930E; Sony STRZA2100ES; Sonance SB46L 3.0; Triad InRoom SlimSub; Sony UBPX800; AppleTV4k; Roku Premiere; Panamax M5300PM; Control4 EA1
post #5037 of 5722 Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
Big price drops coming soon...

Source?

Big enough and it would put this TV back in contention for my 75" purchase.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #5038 of 5722 Old 04-10-2019, 02:02 PM

Anyone have DSE issues? If so any setting recommendations to minimize DSE? Did a couple tests this morning based on youtube tests that are making me a little worried.
post #5039 of 5722 Old 04-10-2019, 02:24 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBunny View Post
Anyone have DSE issues? If so any setting recommendations to minimize DSE? Did a couple tests this morning based on youtube tests that are making me a little worried.
This display is remarkably free of DSE. Maybe your YouTube tests are flawed.
shoman94 likes this.
post #5040 of 5722 Old 04-10-2019, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Does the black bars on this tv became grey?

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page