Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019) - Page 171 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4117Likes

post #5101 of 5634 Old 04-18-2019, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
I would hands down already own it.
Wouldnt the Sony 950G be similar with better contrast but less zones? and I would guess cheaper over there than the zf9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5102 of 5634 Old 04-18-2019, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_xmx View Post
Wouldnt the Sony 950G be similar with better contrast but less zones? and I would guess cheaper over there than the zf9.
Wouldn't it have same contrast issues for 75 inch? For 65/55 this would be true since this doesn't have x-wide.
post #5103 of 5634 Old 04-18-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBunny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_xmx View Post
Wouldn't it have same contrast issues for 75 inch? For 65/55 this would be true since this doesn't have x-wide.
Correct

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5104 of 5634 Old 04-19-2019, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Correct

Which is why I would want the 288 zones in the Z9F.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #5105 of 5634 Old 04-19-2019, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Does 75 Z9F have more dimming zones than the 65”?

Sony A9F, LG E9, LG B6 (retired)
post #5106 of 5634 Old 04-19-2019, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Does 75 Z9F have more dimming zones than the 65”?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57165568

EDIT: Though it should read 288 for the 75".

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 04-19-2019 at 07:01 AM.
post #5107 of 5634 Old 04-20-2019, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know if the Zf9 will have homekit support same as the 950?
post #5108 of 5634 Old 04-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Trying so hard to see if previously mentioned price drop happens. Want to try this set, but ready to move up to a 75"... now.

post #5109 of 5634 Old 04-20-2019, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Trying so hard to see if previously mentioned price drop happens. Want to try this set, but ready to move up to a 75"... now.
I was fine with 65 at price I got, I do understand your pain. I really thought would have seen something with the drastic open box price drops. I think we would agree prices can't be less than 950G. To me this suggests best case price drop for 75 is 4500 USD, and for 65 is 2500 USD. Knowing that Europe is seeing inverted prices currently makes me wonder. Could we see prices in North America where ZF9 is less than 950G.
post #5110 of 5634 Old 04-20-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6397 Post(s)
Liked: 6395
Quote:
Interesting enough, dealer cost has dropped some, not a lot, but retail has not.......
post #5111 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Interesting enough, dealer cost has dropped some, not a lot, but retail has not.......

Sony dictates the price for authorized retailers, correct?
post #5112 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 6117
This is an FYI post. I started this thread on 9-7-18 after I picked up one of the first 75” Z9F’s in the US (if not the first through retail). Almost immediately thereafter, the inventory dried up and in some cases, units apparently pulled back from retailers by Sony. Sony never released ANY information about this. There was never a recall. Some units did make it into customers hands and those units (mine included) were never recalled. Rumors circulated about what had happened but nothing official. This situation did not affect the 65Z9F.

I’ve discovered something with my display that I believe to be the cause of the interrupted delivery of 75” Z9F’s. This panel deformity that I will describe is NOT visible unless there is a flood of light such as the direct reflection from a window opposite the television. I cannot reproduce it with a pinpoint light source like a flashlight. My display is in a light controlled room with room-darkening blinds and I never open those blinds. In the process of doing some spring cleaning, I opened the blinds last week for the first time since I installed the Z and was watching the news and something suddenly struck me as odd. There appeared to be something that looked liked globs of liquid in the area of the tv where the window reflection was. At first I was mad because I thought my sons had been careless and something had been tossed and spilled on the panel, but not the case. This anomaly is sub-surface and can only be seen if the window light hits the panel directly. It’s not a small area and in fact there are a few globs that cover a few square inches and then a line across the screen that arcs from the main glob. It does cause the image to distort but not so much from 10 feet that you’d ever notice it. The actual film defect is simply not visible in room light with the tv on or off.

I will contact Sony Monday and request a replacement. I’d encourage everyone to check their panels but I really believe this is why the initial shipments were likely pulled and the display panels replaced before allowed into customer hands. This is definitely something that would not be field repairable.

I’m attaching an image. Look in the window reflection area above the caddy’s head. You can see the issue. This defect exists outside that reflection as well which illustrates why it’s basically invisible in typical room light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2556506  

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra

Last edited by thomasfxlt; 04-21-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #5113 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Appreciate the feedback. I can live with small amounts of blooming if there is no black crush and shadow detail is good. I definitely prefer Sony’s less aggressive FALD over Samsung’s over aggressive implementation.

I love the blacks on OLED, but I have noticed lately that a lot of detail gets lost in the darkest content. This is on LG’s C8. The strategy going with the Z9F is to gain back all of that lost shadow detail, while still having decent blacks.

The x-wide angle is actually very important to me as well.
I love the image on my ZF9 75" NO shadow detail is lost. Blooming is only really noticeable in difficult HDR scenes but rarely an issue in SDR. X-wide is so nice, a lot of people forget that TV's without it suffers from blooming an severe raised gamma the closet to the screens edge you get even if you sit in front, and especially if you sit close. So the argument for 10000 in native contrast vs this TV's lower one only applies as long as you sit far back, thus regardless of the TV's size the image will be small in your field of view to get it to look good. But in this case the image look very uniform from every position. Though some blooming is noticeable on small logos or loading icons at the corners on black backgrounds, I speculate the way the backside is shallower at the screens edges affects the back light somewhat. Still I'll take this over anything else the market currently has to offer for how crisp and uniform image, accurate colors and motion this TV has.
Hi Joel!

I just got a 75 z9d and it was ISF calibrated for game and cinema modes. I have been mainly using it for games and I have noticed in games the faint fald grid on the z9d yet in the z9f I do not notice that, do you see the fald grid on the z9f with panning shots mainly on more solid or blue colors? I think you have/had the 75 z9d too so I am curios what your thoughts are between the two? I would like to grt a second Sony 75 screen and debating getting a second 75 z9d for the bedroom or the z9f 75, games will be played on both so uniformity is important 🙂
post #5114 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 11:49 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Quoted: 11019 Post(s)
Liked: 6570
@thomasfxlt : your post made me immediately check out my display. I have a large window that is opposite the TV, normally blocked by a black-out curtain. I opened the curtain to get a good reflection on the display and examined the screen closely. I don’t see anything on my display that resembles what you are seeing on yours, which I admit looks pretty bad. I am surprised that the imperfections have not been noticeable under normal viewing. I agree, Sony should have no issues with replacing the display. Good luck.
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #5115 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
This is an FYI post. I started this thread on 9-7-18 after I picked up one of the first 75” Z9F’s in the US (if not the first through retail). Almost immediately thereafter, the inventory dried up and in some cases, units apparently pulled back from retailers by Sony. Sony never released ANY information about this. There was never a recall. Some units did make it into customers hands and those units (mine included) were never recalled. Rumors circulated about what had happened but nothing official. This situation did not affect the 65Z9F.

I’ve discovered something with my display that I believe to be the cause of the interrupted delivery of 75” Z9F’s. This panel deformity that I will describe is NOT visible unless there is a flood of light such as the direct reflection from a window opposite the television. I cannot reproduce it with a pinpoint light source like a flashlight. My display is in a light controlled room with room-darkening blinds and I never open those blinds. In the process of doing some spring cleaning, I opened the blinds last week for the first time since I installed the Z and was watching the news and something suddenly struck me as odd. There appeared to be something that looked liked globs of liquid in the area of the tv where the window reflection was. At first I was mad because I thought my sons had been careless and something had been tossed and spilled on the panel, but not the case. This anomaly is sub-surface and can only be seen if the window light hits the panel directly. It’s not a small area and in fact there are a few globs that cover a few square inches and then a line across the screen that arcs from the main glob. It does cause the image to distort but not so much from 10 feet that you’d ever notice it. The actual film defect is simply not visible in room light with the tv on or off.

I will contact Sony Monday and request a replacement. I’d encourage everyone to check their panels but I really believe this is why the initial shipments were likely pulled and the display panels replaced before allowed into customer hands. This is definitely something that would not be field repairable.

I’m attaching an image. Look in the window reflection area above the caddy’s head. You can see the issue. This defect exists outside that reflection as well which illustrates why it’s basically invisible in typical room light.
That is strange and alarming to say the least. I have not noticed anything similar with my Z9F in a room with windows, but I will definitely be keeping my eyes opened. My guess is that this is a one off type of scenario.

It looks to me like moisture may have formed inside your Z9F somehow. At least, that’s what it looks like in the pictures anyway. If this is indeed a factory defect, I hope Sony takes care of you. Good luck.
thomasfxlt likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #5116 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is strange and alarming to say the least. I have not noticed anything similar with my Z9F in a room with windows, but I will definitely be keeping my eyes opened. My guess is that this is a one off type of scenario.

It looks to me like moisture may have formed inside your Z9F somehow. At least, that’s what it looks like in the pictures anyway. If this is indeed a factory defect, I hope Sony takes care of you. Good luck.

It’s a defect in the film layers. Impossible to see other than with that direct window reflection. Something happened in the lamination process.

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #5117 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They say this set can’t do black. Whatever. Lol

Admittedly, I was in that same camp as well, until I wised up and decided to give the 75” Z9F a fair and proper in home trial. Lesson learned.
thomasfxlt likes this.

post #5118 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Admittedly, I was in that same camp as well, until I wised up and decided to give the 75” Z9F a fair and proper in home trial. Lesson learned.

The “native contrast” brewhaha is over-cooked. It’s a fantastic tv.

post #5119 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvette94 View Post
Hi Joel!

I just got a 75 z9d and it was ISF calibrated for game and cinema modes. I have been mainly using it for games and I have noticed in games the faint fald grid on the z9d yet in the z9f I do not notice that, do you see the fald grid on the z9f with panning shots mainly on more solid or blue colors? I think you have/had the 75 z9d too so I am curios what your thoughts are between the two? I would like to grt a second Sony 75 screen and debating getting a second 75 z9d for the bedroom or the z9f 75, games will be played on both so uniformity is important 🙂
Hi, I've never owned a ZD9. On the ZF9 I don't see any sign of the FALD Grid but there is certain situations depending on my head position if I'm really close on a blue sky image, then you can some times catch a faint vertical column on the middle left side due to the FALD. It's rare I notice it and really dependent on my heads position and is probably due to the FALD calibration done at the factory as i noticed it on 2 sets in the same place but of varying strengths.
post #5120 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I agree whole heatedly. After watching the Harry Potter 8 film series, the set has blown me away again. The remarkable shadow details this set can pull and the deep levels of black I am more than ok with some slight bloom in the very low apl scenes and in the cinema bars. I'm good with almost perfect. It's too bad what the public, retailers and reviewers have done to give this a black eye.
BRAC likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #5121 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
Quote:

It’s a defect in the film layers. Impossible to see other than with that direct window reflection. Something happened in the lamination process.
It's amazing for sure and a viable reason for the pull back from Sony and why I waiting all that extra time for my set. I'm sad at the same time that Sony never reached out to you when they found this. Good luck with the call tomorrow.

post #5122 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
@thomasfxlt : your post made me immediately check out my display. I have a large window that is opposite the TV, normally blocked by a black-out curtain. I opened the curtain to get a good reflection on the display and examined the screen closely. I don’t see anything on my display that resembles what you are seeing on yours, which I admit looks pretty bad. I am surprised that the imperfections have not been noticeable under normal viewing. I agree, Sony should have no issues with replacing the display. Good luck.
Hopefully I can get mine checked this week. I haven't had any sun so I'm waiting.

post #5123 of 5634 Old 04-21-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Doing some scans after the reset and with a full black screen I get 0.000. If I put up the action menu in the top corner I get 0.0013. If I use constant 10% apl window I get 0.0034. There is no doubt that this TV gets black.

First image shows the action menu on the screen, second shows that black level and third shows with 10% apl.
Full black to white is infinite CR, with 0.0013 it's 75000 CR and with 10% apl it's 29000 CR.

Using the ANSI pattern black level is 0.0294 for a CR of 3735.

This is all with Local Dimming on.

ANSI with LD off or LD on low is 1700

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Just wanted to reiterate the black level testing I had done early on in the calibration thread. It's proof that the TV gets dark. There are many variables to measure......
BRAC likes this.

post #5124 of 5634 Old 04-22-2019, 02:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The pictures above look so good. Wonder whether I should go with 75 Z9F or 85 950G.

Sony A9F, LG E9, LG B6 (retired)
post #5125 of 5634 Old 04-22-2019, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Take all this with a grain of salt, obviously, but I stopped at my local BB to see the Q90R and 950G yesterday and someone I know there advised that the stores were pulling down and offering those open box 65Z9F because they won't be showing the television anymore. He claims that they are phasing out the series (BB or Sony, I don't know). I also saw on the site that is a specialty order item now (for my area at least) that will take a couple of weeks for the 75" set. Could mean nothing, could mean they are cross shipping from warehouses that have them and not restocking. I have no idea how true this is or if this is just speculation. He did show the plan for the beginning of May (wall layout for the Sony area) when the Sony rep comes and they are putting up the 950G in various sizes and more and larger OLED televisions. And the official pricing and availability for the Z9G is slated for today, he stated.

Having said all that, I don't want to end up wishing I had bought a 75Z9F when I had the chance. I did that with the Z9D. I just still struggle with the MSRP.

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 04-22-2019 at 05:18 AM.
post #5126 of 5634 Old 04-22-2019, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Take all this with a grain of salt, obviously, but I stopped at my local BB to see the Q90R and 950G yesterday and someone I know there advised that the stores were pulling down and offering those open box 65Z9F because they won't be showing the television anymore. He claims that they are phasing out the series (BB or Sony, I don't know). I also saw on the site that is a specialty order item now (for my area at least) that will take a couple of weeks for the 75" set. Could mean nothing, could mean they are cross shipping from warehouses that have them and not restocking. I have no idea how true this is or if this is just speculation. He did show the plan for the beginning of May (wall layout for the Sony area) when the Sony rep comes and they are putting up the 950G in various sizes and more and larger OLED televisions. And the official pricing and availability for the Z9G is slated for today, he stated.

Having said all that, I don't want to end up wishing I had bought a 75Z9F when I had the chance. I did that with the Z9D. I just still struggle with the MSRP.

I think the writing is on the wall but regardless, it’s a great TV. No regrets here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #5127 of 5634 Old 04-22-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Probably is some truth to it, although when I grabbed my 75” last week the guy told me it was not a clearance item. However, I did get the last 75” Z9F in my area and I noticed that they are out of stock just about everywhere.

post #5128 of 5634 Old 04-22-2019, 06:18 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Quoted: 11019 Post(s)
Liked: 6570
Those of you who are still on the fence, you now have your answer. The 98” Z9G is only $70K...
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #5129 of 5634 Old 04-22-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Those of you who are still on the fence, you now have your answer. The 98” Z9G is only $70K...
Would it be possible to shoehorn a couple of those on to the the back of the headrests in my car for my kids to watch while I take them to grandma's house? I mean they're going to need something to keep them entertained for the 10 minute ride.
post #5130 of 5634 Old 04-22-2019, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Just a few updates as to my TV settings. Still happy with it! I have NOT checked for thomasfxlt's issue as if I haven't seen it yet, I'm not going to (though I'm sorry that happened to you and hope you like your replacement)! I try not to look closer than actual viewing locations. =oP

So after some time with it and being relatively happy with the settings, I still felt like things were just a tad too dim with the Light Sensor On and Brightness (backlight) set to max. The picture was good, but I kept feeling like I wanted a bit more pop. So I'm giving a try at 10 (which is 200 nits according to RTINGS) and I think I'm liking it so far. Definitely a bit brighter than Max with the Light Sensor, but not going crazy with it like my attempts at 18 before, and bright commercials, etc. aren't hurting my eyes.

I'm also giving the Expert 1 Color Temperature again, after going between Warm and Neutral previously. For some reason, I'm liking it more now; I think maybe because the X-Tended Dynamic Range is now off for SDR and was skewing things more than I anticipated. Or it could be the extra backlight level is making it more appealing than when dimmer. I'm not sure.

I'm still painfully debating with myself trying to figure out if I want to use Expert 1 with Game mode as well or stick to neutral. I know games aren't as strictly mastered to 6500K as other content like movies, so I'm still undecided...but I also read that 6500K is supposed to be the standard for everything... We'll see. I've been used to a cooler color temperature for games for quite a long time, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to get used to a warmer temperature if it really is more proper for most games.

Glad I didn't wait for the G (75" is the max I can do anyways, so it wasn't even an option). It looks lovely, but even that 85 is $12K. Wowzers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page