Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019) - Page 173 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4123Likes

post #5161 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I find it odd that the Z9F and A9F has had only one update from Sony since I received the tv in November and it was only to fix a few minor things. There are a couple things I think they could tweak.
I had two updates on the A9F. I got mine in March.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

I saw a 65" on display today, it is very reflective as reflective as my A9F. The only difference, I keep the A9F distanced from the windows, thus never gave me any problem. The Z9F will be kept close to window and potentially will have reflection. The Q80 that I demoed has better reflection handling, but a picture quality that didn't interest me.

Sony A9F, LG B6 (retired)
post #5163 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone else have jumping credits and/or know a fix? For the last two nights my wife has mentioned and I agree that credits do not scroll but they jump. I have a 65.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5164 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
I saw a 65" on display today, it is very reflective as reflective as my A9F. The only difference, I keep the A9F distanced from the windows, thus never gave me any problem. The Z9F will be kept close to window and potentially will have reflection. The Q80 that I demoed has better reflection handling, but a picture quality that didn't interest me.
I do not understand how this set did so well on reflection tests in so many ratings like RT, were the throwing Sony a bone? I can see outside in 75+% of viewing during the day even at crazy brightness. Even at night 12 feet away I can hold up five fingers and count them in dark scenes.

Last edited by orty228; 04-23-2019 at 06:45 PM.
post #5165 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5069 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdavisii View Post
Quote:
I think the dimming algorithm to address two separate issues, cinema bars and Low APL bloom control. I also wish they would change the local Dimming control so they have a real effect. Local dimming low is a useless setting, med to high is visually no different to me.
I'm also not happy with the no sponsor control to the homescreen but it's not a large issue for me since I'm now using Apple TV almost exclusively. I also think they could use a bit more tweaking with CEC control.
If you kill the “Android TV Core Service” app, then you can disable the sponsor channel on the home screen. The home screen will restart, and you can then disable the channel.
I'll try it out in a bit....thanks.
Quote:
Quote:
I find it odd that the Z9F and A9F has had only one update from Sony since I received the tv in November and it was only to fix a few minor things. There are a couple things I think they could tweak.
I had two updates on the A9F. I got mine in March.
That's because your TV wasn't up to date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #5166 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by orty228 View Post
I do not understand how this set did so well on reflection tests in so many ratings like RT, I can see outside in 75+% of viewing during the day even a crazy brightness. Even at night 12 feet away I can hold up five fingers and count them in dark scenes.
Overall reflection handling is average among high end sets imo. It’s the way it reflects due to the x-wide angle layer that can be a little bothersome. All of my widows and lights that were positioned fine for previous sets, now seem to give my Z9F grief. The optical layer they added definitely does some strange things with light.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #5167 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Does anyone else have jumping credits and/or know a fix? For the last two nights my wife has mentioned and I agree that credits do not scroll but they jump. I have a 65.

Check your Cinemotion setting. I have the same problem on my X930E with scrolling tickers if Cinemotion is set higher than low.
post #5168 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Overall reflection handling is average among high end sets imo. It’s the way it reflects due to the x-wide angle layer that can be a little bothersome. All of my widows and lights that were positioned fine for previous sets, now seem to give my Z9F grief. The optical layer they added definitely does some strange things with light.
Both the Z9F and X950g had terrible reflection. Too bad as both were the best LCD I saw at store today. Still considering them. I may bring one back and see whether it works with my setting. Otherwise will go with LG E9.
post #5169 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 07:42 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Quoted: 11111 Post(s)
Liked: 6617
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdavisii View Post
If you kill the “Android TV Core Service” app, then you can disable the sponsor channel on the home screen. The home screen will restart, and you can then disable the channel.
This did not work for me.
post #5170 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
This could be caused by several things:
- What is the source and is it possible it's something to do with the source player?
- How is your Motionflow set?

I haven't noticed this behavior (in my case, I have Motionflow completely off, though Cinemotion I leave on).
post #5171 of 5641 Old 04-23-2019, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Bummer, it worked on the 940e. Killed the service, disabled and turned off notifications (although it will look like it is still running), then I turned off in the channels. Here’s the Reddit thread that mentioned it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/c...stay_disabled/

Sony XBR-75X940E | Sony PS4 Pro
Oppo UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K
Klipsch HD Wireless 5.2
Google Fiber
post #5172 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
It might have more LEDs than normal due to the focused beams, but I don't think that dictates the zone count. More LEDs do mean the posibility of more zones for sure and if they use the same mindset as the Z9D then yea I could see there being 1000ish zones.
I believe the Samsung Q900R has 480 zones and is $3,000 cheaper. I think it'll have more than 500.
post #5173 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

Interesting. I had posted the link before on doing this same thing. You did both parts?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ads-...emove-sony-ads

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #5174 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 04:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have three large windows to the right of the only place I can mount and two windows and patio doors about 30 feet directly forward from the TV. This could be a problem. I can generally 'see' them in my 900F during the day. Night isn't an issue.

I'm starting to think that I just won't upgrade at all or be forced to look at the Q90R as my only option. The reflection handling on that set was amazing when I went to see one, but something about Samsung motion tweeks me a bit and they destroyed the EOTF curve. I would assume that the reflection handling on 75X950G is similar to the Z9F. I will be able to see one of those in a couple of weeks at my local BB and make a decision based on how that handles reflections, I guess. I so like everything else about this set and Sony in general.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
post #5175 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
I have three large windows to the right of the only place I can mount and two windows and patio doors about 30 feet directly forward from the TV. This could be a problem. I can generally 'see' them in my 900F during the day. Night isn't an issue.

I'm starting to think that I just won't upgrade at all or be forced to look at the Q90R as my only option. The reflection handling on that set was amazing when I went to see one, but something about Samsung motion tweeks me a bit and they destroyed the EOTF curve. I would assume that the reflection handling on 75X950G is similar to the Z9F. I will be able to see one of those in a couple of weeks at my local BB and make a decision based on how that handles reflections, I guess. I so like everything else about this set and Sony in general.
Did not notice any difference in reflection handling yesterday between the two sets.
post #5176 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Did not notice any difference in reflection handling yesterday between the two sets.

Thank you. Then will definitely look at the 950G for an understanding of reflections once it is up to make a determination on the Z9F feasibility.

post #5177 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6517 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
Quote:

Having said all that, I don't want to end up wishing I had bought a 75Z9F when I had the chance. I did that with the Z9D. I just still struggle with the MSRP.
Oh there is always something close enough or better coming down the pipe.......I would not beat yourself up.
post #5178 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 3313 Post(s)
Liked: 6137
An update on my display issue. Let me just say at this point that I’ve experienced the most confusing and frustrating response regarding a purchase of this significance ever. I’ll leave it at that for now and give Sony the opportunity to do the right thing. In the meantime I have to pay to have an authorized service center come to my home to dispute the Sony’ engineers “sight unseen” determination. I’m going to be honest and fair here. Whatever falls out I will share. They have put the burden on me 100% and I find that disturbing. I also know more than they’d like me to know. I also have contacts in their industry who have reliably and factually advised me that I have a severe lamination defect in the polarizer layer of the television.

There is a reason these televisions stopped shipping last fall. Sony has declined to address in any way shape or form. Mine slipped through. Why they wouldn’t want to just pull it in and deal with it I’m not sure but the response I’m getting is very revealing.

I called Sony immediately when the inventory was pulled back from Best Buy an asked them if I needed to return the display to them. They said no. What a mistake.

SONY Z9F LCD Master Series Owners Thread
Vizio 2016 P series FAQ, general info and Help
Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #5179 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfxlt View Post
An update on my display issue. Let me just say at this point that I’ve experienced the most confusing and frustrating response regarding a purchase of this significance ever. I’ll leave it at that for now and give Sony the opportunity to do the right thing. In the meantime I have to pay to have an authorized service center come to my home to dispute the Sony’ engineers “sight unseen” determination. I’m going to be honest and fair here. Whatever falls out I will share. They have put the burden on me 100% and I find that disturbing. I also know more than they’d like me to know. I also have contacts in their industry who have reliably and factually advised me that I have a severe lamination defect in the polarizer layer of the television.

There is a reason these televisions stopped shipping last fall. Sony has declined to address in any way shape or form. Mine slipped through. Why they wouldn’t want to just pull it in and deal with it I’m not sure but the response I’m getting is very revealing.

I called Sony immediately when the inventory was pulled back from Best Buy an asked them if I needed to return the display to them. They said no. What a mistake.
I double checked mine again today just to be sure. I cannot believe that you are being treated this way. Full engineering diagnosis done via smartphone photos and telephone. Very sad and very unsatisfying for me. I was told Sony was as good at customer service as Vizio.... This doesn't seem to be the case.
thomasfxlt likes this.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #5180 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It is definitely NOT the case. Worse than the tiring phone conversations where you try to explain things to people that have no idea what you’re talking about is having some engineer look at a bad cell phone pic and label your issue... “user damage” sight unseen and void your warranty over something that is their fault. It’s a lamination defect in the polarizer layer. Too bad they’re not just investigating with me to fully understand what happened rather than falsely saying there’s chemical damage to my screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
shoman94 likes this.

Sony Z9F 75, Vizio P75C1 UHD/HDR/DV, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, AppleTV 4K, CC Ultra
post #5181 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 04:22 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Interesting. I had posted the link before on doing this same thing. You did both parts?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ads-...emove-sony-ads
I went through the steps again and was successful this time. The thing that needs removing is the "Sponsored" section:

Step 1 was to go into Settings/Apps, locate the "Android Core TV Services", and do both a "Force Stop" and a "Disable".

Next step, which was not articulated clearly in the link, was to go to the "Home Screen" settings and click on "Customize Channels".

The next screen has a slider that allows "Sponsored" to be toggled off.

Now, the Sponsored line is gone from the Home screen.

post #5182 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I went through the steps again and was successful this time. The thing that needs removing is the "Sponsored" section:

Step 1 was to go into Settings/Apps, locate the "Android Core TV Services", and do both a "Force Stop" and a "Disable".

Next step, which was not articulated clearly in the link, was to go to the "Home Screen" settings and click on "Customize Channels".

The next screen has a slider that allows "Sponsored" to be toggled off.

Now, the Sponsored line is gone from the Home screen.

I was able to reenable the service after. It even stuck through the reboot. I'll see what happens. Sony select keeps appearing now even after toggling it off after reboot. Stupid advertising. Not happy about that .

They could fix that **** in the forward update and also the stupid way the volume works on the TV. Press it 3 times and it goes up or down 5!

post #5183 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
It is definitely NOT the case. Worse than the tiring phone conversations where you try to explain things to people that have no idea what you’re talking about is having some engineer look at a bad cell phone pic and label your issue... “user damage” sight unseen and void your warranty over something that is their fault. It’s a lamination defect in the polarizer layer. Too bad they’re not just investigating with me to fully understand what happened rather than falsely saying there’s chemical damage to my screen.

That's extremely disappointing, but unsurprising, given how I and other SXRD projection TV owners were treated. The experience was so poor that I swore off Sony for years until returning with PS4 and X930E purchases a few years ago.
thomasfxlt likes this.
post #5184 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
That's extremely disappointing, but unsurprising, given how I and other SXRD projection TV owners were treated. The experience was so poor that I swore off Sony for years until returning with PS4 and X930E purchases a few years ago.

I’m just going to be honest about the experience and people can judge for themselves whether Sony is a good risk when investing $6k in a display. There’s so much right about this TV but Sony is a huge disappointment at the moment. We’ll see how it plays out.

post #5185 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just got the 65" XBR Z9F as open-box on Best Buy for $1500.
Absolutely no flaws on the screen and no dead/stuck pixels (yet).

I've followed this thread since day-1
I think all the strengths and its weaknesses mentioned for this panel were validated.
Let's just say I'm glad I did not get this at a retail price

Also... anybody here subscribed to DirecTV 4K HDR programming? How is it? Anybody have the recommended settings for native 4K or HDR content? My current DirecTV box & satellite is not 4K/HDR compatible... can't wait to see live 4K/HDR events with this set.

Last edited by 34-hfx-83; 04-24-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #5186 of 5641 Old 04-24-2019, 07:41 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34-hfx-83 View Post
Just got the 65" XBR Z9F as open-box on Best Buy for $1500.
Absolutely no flaws on the screen and no dead/stuck pixels (yet).

I've followed this thread since day-1
I think all the strengths and its weaknesses mentioned for this panel were validated.
Let's just say I'm glad I did not get this at a retail price

Also... anybody here subscribed to DirecTV 4K HDR programming? How is it? Anybody have the recommended settings for native 4K or HDR content? My current DirecTV box & satellite is not 4K/HDR compatible... can't wait to see live 4K/HDR events with this set.
I have DTV 4K. There are no different settings. If you have been following this three since day 1, then you would know that SDR settings are mapped to HDR.
post #5187 of 5641 Old 04-25-2019, 12:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Really sorry to hear about the poor support you're getting thomasfxlt - that's completely unacceptable. I hope they come around and give you a proper solution.
shoman94 likes this.
post #5188 of 5641 Old 04-25-2019, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Thomasfxlt - hope Sony gives you a satisfying solution.
shoman94 likes this.

Sony A9F, LG B6 (retired)
post #5189 of 5641 Old 04-25-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
I’m just going to be honest about the experience and people can judge for themselves whether Sony is a good risk when investing $6k in a display. There’s so much right about this TV but Sony is a huge disappointment at the moment. We’ll see how it plays out.
Thomas, don't blame you for being upset. I suspect their "reluctance" is related to how long you have owned the set but that still does not make it right. I swore off Samsung for good after a terrible CS experience with my SEK3500 upgrade box. The situation required me to contact the BBB before it got satisfactorily resolved. I was very skeptical that the BBB route would lead to anything but it quickly resolved the issue so you might want to give that a try if you aren't satisfied with the results of the service inspection. I had an issue with my first Z9D and was pleasantly surprised by Sony's response but with any big company it is a roll of the dice when it comes time for help.
shoman94 and thomasfxlt like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #5190 of 5641 Old 04-25-2019, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Thomas, don't blame you for being upset. I suspect their "reluctance" is related to how long you have owned the set but that still does not make it right. I swore off Samsung for good after a terrible CS experience with my SEK3500 upgrade box. The situation required me to contact the BBB before it got satisfactorily resolved. I was very skeptical that the BBB route would lead to anything but it quickly resolved the issue so you might want to give that a try if you aren't satisfied with the results of the service inspection. I had an issue with my first Z9D and was pleasantly surprised by Sony's response but with any big company it is a roll of the dice when it comes time for help.

Yes, it’s been 7 months. Unfortunately the issue is literally invisible until there’s a diffused, non-pinpoint reflection on the panel. I have black-out blinds in my room that I never open. I opened those blinds last week for the first time since last summer and discovered the issue. I cannot find any light source that allows me to display the problem and photograph it. There is no question it’s a lamination defect in the manufacture process. I suspect that polarizer layer is applied in a vacuum frame. You can see air bubbles or collection of adhesive under the layer and it covers an oval area of the panel center inset from the panel frame. (very typical of a faulty draw-down in a vacuum application). The only pictures I’ve been able to give Sony are of small areas. Rather than be curious engineers and want to know that this is, they’ve chosen to simply deny any responsibility and put it on my back to pay a service center to come out to evaluate it. I’m not done with this by any means. I appreciate your input.

I think the thing I’m most upset about is them saying that it’s “it’s user damage from a chemical”. All they’ve seen is a cell phone pic of a 2” x 2” area that is in a reflection area and unfortunately it’s the best I can do. The affected area is defined by a perimeter oval of this defect that covers about 1/2 the screen.

shoman94 likes this.

Last edited by thomasfxlt; 04-25-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page