Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019) - Page 182 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4142Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5431 of 5667 Old 05-29-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,221
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5080 Post(s)
Liked: 3590
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeroff View Post
I already have external audio set as the default in the Z9F. But that's interesting that you're not having similar issues using HDMI2 (which doesn't have ARC/eARC). I wonder if I'd be better off running an HDMI cable from my A/V Reciever to HDMI2 as my default connection like you do, and then run a separate HDMI cable from HDMI3 back to my A/V Receiver for the eARC capability when I use the streaming apps on the Z9F's AndroidTV? I'll play around with it tonight. Does anyone else have any feedback on this as a workable solution?


Thanks for the help!
Its a combination of Arc/CEC and auto speaker selection (TV vs External). Honestly I'm not sure why its a big deal. Its 3 seconds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5432 of 5667 Old 05-29-2019, 10:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Its a combination of Arc/CEC and auto speaker selection (TV vs External). Honestly I'm not sure why its a big deal. Its 3 seconds.
Well, if you add up those 3 seconds per day for the 5 years I expect to own the TV before upgrading again, even assuming I only turn it on once per day, those 3 seconds add up to a whopping... Hour and 31minutes.

It's not a big deal at all. Just trying to make my viewing experience a tiny bit better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
shoman94 likes this.
ayeroff is online now  
post #5433 of 5667 Old 05-29-2019, 11:00 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 21,039
Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11430 Post(s)
Liked: 6765
I don’t use ARC. I use Toslink for TV apps audio.
AustinJerry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5434 of 5667 Old 05-29-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,783
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6788 Post(s)
Liked: 6791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
75Z9F owner here in need of replacing due to physical panel damage. Overall it was very good to me. Maybe a bit underwhelming, but solid overall. I definitely dislike the "film" that helps with off angle viewing and adds streaks to reflected light, but I've dealt with it. So my question is for those with this set if you had an opportunity to replace it would you go back to same or would you do the upcoming 77A9G? There is a definite cost difference, but that is something I can handle in my budget.
Did you purchase your TV in the last 90 days? Did you use a credit card that covers damages to items you purchased using the card? What about the 85Z9G?
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #5435 of 5667 Old 05-29-2019, 12:45 PM
Member
 
leamingtonspacem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeroff View Post
I'm still getting used to my 75Z9F, and I'm wondering whether there is a way to "simplify" the start up. I have all my components connected to my AV Receiver via HDMI cables, and then a single HDMI cable run to the Z9F, HDMI Port 3. Whenever I turn on my system, the Z9F goes through the following "steps": 1) blank screen, 2) switches to Android TV, 3) switches to HDMI Port 3, 4) displays a message that says "switching audio to TV speakers" and finally 5) displays a message that says "switching audio to external speakers."


That seems like an awful lot of steps to simply start watching something on the TV. So I'm wondering if there is a way to simplify or streamline the process so that it always starts by 1) displaying HDMI Port 3 for video, and 2) using external speakers for audio?


Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeroff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have a similar setup, and it doesn’t behave in the same way. I don’t use ARC, which might be part of the issue. When I power up my components, there is a brief blank screen, then a brief “No signal found” until the handshake with my AVR completes, and then it displays HDMI2 (my default connection) and uses external audio automatically.

You should have external audio set in the TV as the default.

I already have external audio set as the default in the Z9F. But that's interesting that you're not having similar issues using HDMI2 (which doesn't have ARC/eARC). I wonder if I'd be better off running an HDMI cable from my A/V Reciever to HDMI2 as my default connection like you do, and then run a separate HDMI cable from HDMI3 back to my A/V Receiver for the eARC capability when I use the streaming apps on the Z9F's AndroidTV? I'll play around with it tonight. Does anyone else have any feedback on this as a workable solution?


Thanks for the help!
Quite often, when I turn my TV on it automatically switches to using the TV speakers. I have to go into the TV speaker settings and select 'audio system.'

Is there a way to permanently override the TV speakers so it always defaults to audio system?

I'm using a Denon 2500 amp.
leamingtonspacem is offline  
post #5436 of 5667 Old 05-29-2019, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
sgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeroff View Post
Well, if you add up those 3 seconds per day for the 5 years I expect to own the TV before upgrading again, even assuming I only turn it on once per day, those 3 seconds add up to a whopping... Hour and 31minutes.

It's not a big deal at all. Just trying to make my viewing experience a tiny bit better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I use ARC (not eARC as my receiver doesn't support it) and I don't seem to have this experience (using a Marantz SR7011 as my receiver). Mine goes 1.) Blank Screen 2.) HDMI it was previously on [usually 3, but it will go to the Android apps if I last used them]. I do sometimes get the switching to internal, then external, speakers, but it doesn't seem to be all the time - I haven't quite figured out what the deciding factor with that is. Every once in a great while it'll switch to internal incorrectly (usually if the receiver is powered off, then back on while the TV is on I think). That's not often enough to be much of a bother, though. It would be nice if you could set it to always go to External Speakers, but as far as I can tell, that's not an option.
sgupta is offline  
post #5437 of 5667 Old 05-29-2019, 05:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
I use ARC (not eARC as my receiver doesn't support it) and I don't seem to have this experience (using a Marantz SR7011 as my receiver). Mine goes 1.) Blank Screen 2.) HDMI it was previously on [usually 3, but it will go to the Android apps if I last used them]. I do sometimes get the switching to internal, then external, speakers, but it doesn't seem to be all the time - I haven't quite figured out what the deciding factor with that is. Every once in a great while it'll switch to internal incorrectly (usually if the receiver is powered off, then back on while the TV is on I think). That's not often enough to be much of a bother, though. It would be nice if you could set it to always go to External Speakers, but as far as I can tell, that's not an option.

Well, I think I finally got it sorted out. Turns out my A/V receiver (Yamaha Aventage RX-A2070) has an HDMI option called "HDMI Control." HDMI control enables the receiver to control connected devices... like a TV. Apparently my receiver had HDMI Control set to ON even though I use a Universal Remote, and so I don't need my receiver to control the TV. I turned HDMI Control to OFF, and now the TV has stopped doing all the switching. I turn on the TV, it goes right to HDMI 3 for video, and it goes right to External Audio System for audio. PERFECT. I've tested it about a dozen times, turning the TV off in all of my various video source options, and now the TV does right to HDMI 3 and External Audio System every time. No more annoying audio or video switching!


So for those of you who are also having this weird behavior with your Z9F, I recommend digging out your Receiver's owners manual and looking for something like "HDMI Control" or HDMI CEC. I turned mine off, but kept ARC enabled, and everything on the TV is working like (I think) it should! Hope this helps someone. Good luck!
sgupta likes this.
ayeroff is online now  
post #5438 of 5667 Old 05-30-2019, 09:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anybody else having problems with the Z9F rebooting every time you stream a 4K movie through a VPN using Kodi ?? Happens almost every time I try it. Yesterday the TV rebooted 9 minutes into the movie. In most cases, the TV goes through 3 or 4 reboot cycles. In one case, the TV got stuck in a reboot loop causing me to unplug the TV to do a power reset. Very annoying given the price of the TV. Only support I received from Sony was to do a reset on the TV, causing me to have to redo all my settings and apps. Note that I don't get this problem when I am forced to use a separate streaming box.
Christopher Reed is offline  
post #5439 of 5667 Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Well, you're using an open-source app to do something quite demanding, in an environment (native Android TV) that I personally consider to be for only for the most basic of applications and uses. So I'm not surprised. "Smart TV's are for dumb users." (That's tongue in cheek.) But that's just my opinion. To each his own. I recommend using a more powerful, purpose-built tool for your streaming needs, especially if they're outside the norm (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon). Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield, etc. are built for that. The Sony TV is built first and foremost to be a display. The Smart TV function is just an added accessory. I do understand where you're coming from. If it's there, it should work. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be like that in the real world, usually. I personally wish there was no app function on the TV's, but I understand that TV's are too technical these days to do without a powerful computer in the background, so I guess they thought "put a bird (app) on it!."

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #5440 of 5667 Old 05-31-2019, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
sgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Reed View Post
Anybody else having problems with the Z9F rebooting every time you stream a 4K movie through a VPN using Kodi ?? Happens almost every time I try it. Yesterday the TV rebooted 9 minutes into the movie. In most cases, the TV goes through 3 or 4 reboot cycles. In one case, the TV got stuck in a reboot loop causing me to unplug the TV to do a power reset. Very annoying given the price of the TV. Only support I received from Sony was to do a reset on the TV, causing me to have to redo all my settings and apps. Note that I don't get this problem when I am forced to use a separate streaming box.
Definitely sounds like an app crash vs. an issue with the TV itself - maybe contact the app maker (Kodi) and see if they know about it?
sgupta is offline  
post #5441 of 5667 Old 05-31-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Hey guys, I noticed a (minuscule) issue the other night and just wonder if this has ever happened to any of y'all. It's not really alarming, I'm just curious if this is semi-normal.

I turned on my TV and noticed that the screen seemed extra bright. Actually, it might have been after switching inputs (from apps to HDMI). Either way, I noticed that the screen seemed extra bright (even brighter than the usual blinding amount, lol). So I went to the brightness setting and when I moved it down one notch from 9 to 8, all of the sudden the screen dimmed a large amount (to the correct brightness). When I moved the slider back to 9, the brightness barely changed (appropriate increment, I believe). So in other words, for some reason the display was brighter than it should have been based upon the setting, but it was only corrected by me changing the brightness slider.. at which point it's like the TV *realized* it was wrong. Thoughts? Auto-brightness is OFF, btw. TIA!

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #5442 of 5667 Old 05-31-2019, 02:20 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 21,039
Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11430 Post(s)
Liked: 6765
Never seen this. Are you sure the Light Sensor isn’t turned on?

Last edited by AustinJerry; 05-31-2019 at 08:08 PM.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #5443 of 5667 Old 05-31-2019, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
sgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Strange indeed. The only other thing I can think of was it was incorrectly in HDR mode (which maxes brightness). I've seen that happen in the Twitch app before (which I assumed was an app error of some kind since it happened 2-3 times there but nowhere else) - it would be in HDR from something previous and (incorrectly) stay there; I'd have to exit and restart to get it back to SDR. I've never seen the brightness itself be actually wrong yet, but that doesn't mean it's not a rare bug.

Last edited by sgupta; 05-31-2019 at 04:45 PM.
sgupta is offline  
post #5444 of 5667 Old 06-01-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,221
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5080 Post(s)
Liked: 3590
Hey owners, did you know we sugar coat all the flaws that the Z9F has?!? Every thread does this but the Z9F just sugar coats everything. Because this TV has so many flaws that the flaws are flaws! People around here are so ridiculous.



Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #5445 of 5667 Old 06-01-2019, 10:02 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 21,039
Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11430 Post(s)
Liked: 6765
Are you off your meds?
shoman94 likes this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #5446 of 5667 Old 06-01-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,221
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5080 Post(s)
Liked: 3590
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Are you off your meds?
Ha! Just losing my sh|t a little. It's ok for OLED junkies to have, crushed shadow detail, banding, tinting, abl and posturization issues but it's still the best..... Just ask them. God forbid you have a little blooming in specific low APL scenes, specific reflection situations and it's the end of the world.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
AustinJerry and JoelArt like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 06-01-2019 at 10:19 PM.
shoman94 is offline  
post #5447 of 5667 Old 06-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
JoelArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Ha! Just losing my sh|t a little. It's ok for OLED junkies to have, crushed shadow detail, banding, tinting, abl and posturization issues but it's still the best..... Just ask them. God forbid you have a little blooming in specific low APL scenes, specific reflection situations and it's the end of the world.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
The biggest reason this TV has gotten so much flack is because, "expectations", everyone were expecting it to be the true and superior successor to Z9D, but that wasn't what they got. Especially in those areas that are traditionally most important for a LCD like, black levels, contrast and blooming control. If it instead had been marketed as a new model with a fancy new wide angle filter and very accurate colors then it would have been received with different expectations and probably gotten more slack for it's shortcomings.

It truly isn't a worthy successor but it still is a very good TV non the less. I think it's not cost effective to make a true successor at this time in the current market. Most TV peasants are happy with OLED as they haven't seen or consume high nit HDR, know of ABL or understand the risk of burn in. For those consumers OLEDs are fantastic with it's superior blacks and great good colors, WRGB ahem!...

As it stands today it's impossible to get a TV that covers all the bases. I was so looking forward to ZG9 but the input-lag of 30ms is simply a big NO GO for me. If we are lucky, which I don't believe, they would launch a ZG9 75" at 4K and input lag of 21ms or lower but according to Vincent, Sony only intends to have one Master series per screen size on the market at the same time and now that Sony is jumping on the OLED wagon they will use them 4K screens up to 75" and then use ZG9 for 8K 85" and above so there is no room for a 75" LED Master TV anymore. I think Sony would have gone 8K 85" OLED if had been were cost efficient as well as they absolutely want to do 8K above 85" do get good pixel density at those panel sizes.

I think we are in a weird situation where OLED has reached it's max potential when it comes to HDR brightness, but as most manufactures and consumers seem happy to go OLED we may see a long stretch of unfortunate low 1000 nit peak mastered content going forward. I don't believe HDR to disappear as 3D did largely due to mostly poor implementations and lack of good content, but it will take a while till we'll see TVs with both blinding HDR and great blacks.
sgupta, shoman94 and Cam1977 like this.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
JoelArt is offline  
post #5448 of 5667 Old 06-02-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,069
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
As it stands today it's impossible to get a TV that covers all the bases. I was so looking forward to ZG9 but the input-lag of 30ms is simply a big NO GO for me. If we are lucky, which I don't believe, they would launch a ZG9 75" at 4K and input lag of 21ms or lower but according to Vincent, Sony only intends to have one Master series per screen size on the market at the same time and now that Sony is jumping on the OLED wagon they will use them 4K screens up to 75" and then use ZG9 for 8K 85" and above so there is no room for a 75" LED Master TV anymore. I think Sony would have gone 8K 85" OLED if had been were cost efficient as well as they absolutely want to do 8K above 85" do get good pixel density at those panel sizes.

A 65" 4K Z9G is the TV I was waiting for, but I decided to throw in the towel and order an A9G. There really seem to be very few palatable options at 65" right now.
hifi59 likes this.
JD23 is offline  
post #5449 of 5667 Old 06-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In the market to replace my 2012 Panasonic TC-P55VT30 plasma. I am focused on LCD over OLED and all things considered in my limited research, the Z9F is still the best LCD currently available. I am seriously considering a 75Z9F or 85950G. My straight on seating distance is 12.5 ft; side viewing angle is within 45 degrees in a low light level media room. I am curious to know if any 75Z9F owners have a similar seating distance and how that is working out?

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
post #5450 of 5667 Old 06-02-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,221
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5080 Post(s)
Liked: 3590
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
In the market to replace my 2012 Panasonic TC-P55VT30 plasma. I am focused on LCD over OLED and all things considered in my limited research, the Z9F is still the best LCD currently available. I am seriously considering a 75Z9F or 85950G. My straight on seating distance is 12.5 ft; side viewing angle is within 45 degrees in a low light level media room. I am curious to know if any 75Z9F owners have a similar seating distance and how that is working out?
I own a Pioneer Kuro plasma and have no problems with my 75z9f.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #5451 of 5667 Old 06-03-2019, 04:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I own a Pioneer Kuro plasma and have no problems with my 75z9f.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
Thanks; So you have a similar viewing distance and the 75Z9F is large enough to appreciate the 4K pic? Do you use eARC and bias lighting in your set-up?

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
post #5452 of 5667 Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,221
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5080 Post(s)
Liked: 3590
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Thanks; So you have a similar viewing distance and the 75Z9F is large enough to appreciate the 4K pic? Do you use eARC and bias lighting in your set-up?
I sit about 15ft actually. I out my TV on a Sanus full motion mount that extends 28 inches putting me just under 13ft. I usually only place it that way when watching movies.
I don't use eArc but I am using a bit of bias. Just enough to light my room to at nit level.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #5453 of 5667 Old 06-03-2019, 10:09 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I sit about 15ft actually. I out my TV on a Sanus full motion mount that extends 28 inches putting me just under 13ft. I usually only place it that way when watching movies.
I don't use eArc but I am using a bit of bias. Just enough to light my room to at nit level.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
This is very encouraging to hear. Having an extended mount makes perfect sense. I was only considering the 85X950G for the size due to my seating distance but the specs are not as good as the Z9F. Compared to your Kuro, how does Z9F motion, black level and contrast compare?

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
post #5454 of 5667 Old 06-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
At that distance I would personally go with the 85 but I'm more about screen size immersion than some. My seating goal for my 65 is 7 feet which luckily is *just* enough space for a decent coffee table. I really wish I had a 75 but the cost was just too great for me personally.

Regarding motion, I have noticed a deficiency when compared to my plasma that the Z9F replaced. That said, it's a tiny detail that doesn't really bother me, and I bet that I can mitigate it by messing with the motion settings. Currently I have all of that disabled. Blacks are just fine. I do get some "haloing" but I think that's just because the dang thing is so bright. The halo effect, at least to my brain, reads more like "damn, that's bright" as opposed to "damn, look at that lack of lighting control." Note that I have the weaker 65, anyway.. the 75 has better dimming control due to more zones per inch.

On that note, anyone else here even own the 65 heh?

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS

Last edited by p3trol_h3ad; 06-03-2019 at 11:38 AM.
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #5455 of 5667 Old 06-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
p3trol_h3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Never seen this. Are you sure the Light Sensor isn’t turned on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
Strange indeed. The only other thing I can think of was it was incorrectly in HDR mode (which maxes brightness). I've seen that happen in the Twitch app before (which I assumed was an app error of some kind since it happened 2-3 times there but nowhere else) - it would be in HDR from something previous and (incorrectly) stay there; I'd have to exit and restart to get it back to SDR. I've never seen the brightness itself be actually wrong yet, but that doesn't mean it's not a rare bug.
Light sensor was definitely off. Hmm, I don't think I was watching any HDR videos in YouTube. I never noticed any HDR logo or anything of the sort. I don't think I've seen HDR yet, lol. Need to get on that...

Thanks guys for chiming in. Really NBD, random bugs happen in tech so I'm not concerned. Strike 1 lol jk.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
p3trol_h3ad is offline  
post #5456 of 5667 Old 06-03-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,221
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5080 Post(s)
Liked: 3590
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
This is very encouraging to hear. Having an extended mount makes perfect sense. I was only considering the 85X950G for the size due to my seating distance but the specs are not as good as the Z9F. Compared to your Kuro, how does Z9F motion, black level and contrast compare?
I only have one issue with black levels on my 75z9f and that's in a very low app scene with a bright light stationary or very slow moving like a street light. I have found settings that help mitigate it and it isn't bothersome during content.

Personally I would go larger at that distance if I had an option with the same or better quality of my z9f as long as the zone density was at least maintained or improved. I think the 85 Z9G would be perfect but it's too pricey.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

Last edited by shoman94; 06-03-2019 at 06:47 PM.
shoman94 is offline  
post #5457 of 5667 Old 06-03-2019, 06:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I have only have one issue with black levels on my 75z9f and that's in a very low app scene with a bright light stationary or very slow moving like a street. I have found settings that help mitigate it and it isn't bothersome during content.

Personally I would go larger at that distance if I had option with the same or better quality of my z9f as long as the zone density was at least maintained or improved. I think the 85 Z9G would be perfect but it's too pricey.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
Agree; I have no idea what the MSRP will be for the 85 Z9G but I am sure it will be out of my budget range. It did get a decent review from Vincent. Given the bigger size do you think the 85 950G is comparable to the motion and PQ of the 75 Z9F?

Media Room - ISF calibrated Panasonic TC-P55VT30, Panasonic DMP-BDT-310 Blue Ray player, Yamaha RX-A770BL, 7.1 Definitive Technology Sound System with Mythos 7,Dual Super Cube 2000's, DT 6.5STR ceiling speakers, Harmony Elite.
JNMNL52 is offline  
post #5458 of 5667 Old 06-03-2019, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
shoman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,221
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5080 Post(s)
Liked: 3590
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Agree; I have no idea what the MSRP will be for the 85 Z9G but I am sure it will be out of my budget range. It did get a decent review from Vincent. Given the bigger size do you think the 85 950G is comparable to the motion and PQ of the 75 Z9F?
It might be fine for you but it has far fewer local dimming zones.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
shoman94 is offline  
post #5459 of 5667 Old 06-03-2019, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
sgupta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Light sensor was definitely off. Hmm, I don't think I was watching any HDR videos in YouTube. I never noticed any HDR logo or anything of the sort. I don't think I've seen HDR yet, lol. Need to get on that...

Thanks guys for chiming in. Really NBD, random bugs happen in tech so I'm not concerned. Strike 1 lol jk.
Relooking at your original post, I don't really think it's the HDR thing as Brightness should have been Max if HDR was engaged anyways.

Re logo/badges, only Dolby Vision shows a badge in the upper right when the mode switches so you always see it and know it's engaged. HDR does NOT automatically display a badge when switched to, BUT if you go to picture settings, it does have an HDR badge in there near the upper right.

But yeah, even since posting, I had it happen where I was on Twitch and it switched to HDR randomly. In that case, I don't even think I was watching HDR anything before, so it may just be a random bug. I've ONLY had it in Twitch, so I've concluded it's something with the app - exiting and going back in tends to fix it. Possibly not the same issue as you, but similar, anyways.
sgupta is offline  
post #5460 of 5667 Old 06-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
JoelArt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Interesting response on the measurement of screen contrast (ZF9) in the comment field form the reviewer:
The review

Note, that I used Google translate on the page and comments from german.

Quote:
PETER June 5, 2019 at 3:03 PM
I notice the difference in contrast ratio here and elsewhere (rtings whathifi) best example the ZF9 Here 2000: 1 with local dimming 40000 elsewhere 1: 1730 with local dimming 1: 3379. Weird anyway
With this TV idem: here disappointing contrast elsewhere: 1: 4400 !! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
Very often this site has different contrast ratios, while other measurements are almost identical

ERIC BEECKMANS June 6, 2019 at 11:22
That is a very good question. The problem is that contrast measurements are subject to fairly large fluctuations. Attention, long answer. 🙂
First, there is the accuracy of the meter. For my C6 it is around +/- 4% for light measurements of 100 nits. If we assume that you have the same accuracy with typical LCD black (0.03 nits) then the contrast of a VA panel with white 100 nits, and black 0.03 nits and thus a 3333: 1 contrast can come to:
1) 3077: 1 (white underestimated and black overestimated)
2) 3611: 1 (white underestimated and black underestimated)
In other words, there is an immediate error of +/- 8% on contrast, purely based on meter accuracy and error theory .
In practice, that only gets worse. I take measurements in the best possible conditions, but those are not laboratory conditions. For the ZG9 bvb, the space could not be perfectly darkened. Perhaps the meter is skewed a fraction of a mm.
And then there is the measurement method. Some publications may measure contrast on a 10% window, others measure ANSI contrast. Is local dimming on or off? What do you do with screens where you cannot deactivate local dimming?
I measure contrast on a 10% window with 18% APL (average picture level) (to prevent switching off) and ANSI contrast. Both with local dimming on and off. Even then I sometimes notice significant differences. With ANSI contrast (certainly with screens with local dimming), a small movement from the center of the measurement location can already strongly influence the contrast.
In short, you should not view contrast measurements as absolute numbers, but rather in terms of orders of magnitude. An IPS screen typically reaches 1000: 1, a VA screen 3000: 1, and depending on variations in viewing angle technology, quite a few can go off there. Your example of the ZF9 measurement without local dimming (2000: 1 and 1730: 1) is just on the edge of the theoretical error margin (1840 +/- 8%). For the version with dimming, I probably gave the contrast on an 18% apl version. For the ZG9 I just spoke with another well-known reviewer (Vincent Theoh) who confirmed that he also released a contrast of 3600: 1 with local dimming activated.
I understand that the answer may be somewhat frustrating, but unfortunately, this is the reality. As a reviewer, that is not a simple assignment, but I like to do my best to report as objectively and correctly as possible. Other reviewers undoubtedly do the same, and the fact that we sometimes come up with different numbers for contrast has more to do with the inherent problems with contrast measurement than anything else.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
JoelArt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off