Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019) - Page 201 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4298Likes

post #6001 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I know some people may frown on this, but I've actually found the Z9F's ambient light sensor to work very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Why? I've been using the sensor from the beginning with the Backlight set to Max. This gives a 100 nit picture in a room with no lights. It works great.
I agree. I love the feature. It's just that many purists don't like any type of mode or feature that automatically calibrates picture settings for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7023 Post(s)
Liked: 7047
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArt View Post
I saw the 85X950G for the first time in person today and it looks great, but, the maximum brightness output of my Z9F noticeable trumps it. But how I would have loved to have an 85" Z9F at home haha. When does it stop, how big would you go before screen size is too big. XD
When the wall is filled........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post
How about the black levels? I am getting scared now from what i am reading elsewhere. people are complaining about the black levels or bleeding on this TV compared to the previous G model due to the less zones? Also the brightness of this TV might be a problem, we have a dark living room. We don't want the TV blasting us out of the room. Can the brightness be turned down without hurting picture quality?

TV arrives Thursday. Maybe i should have gone with the X950G. Not as bright?
The Z9F has more zones then your last set did. Blacks should be better...... Yes the brightness can be turned down....

---Quit second guessing yourself, stay off the forum, and enjoy that new TV. I do not want to see you in here for at least a week....lol
gweempose and RKSKYDANCER like this.
post #6003 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 160
What a coincidence...

I checked back in here yesterday after what must have been months (busy with the holidays) because I read about AirPlay 2 coming to the Z9F, which, personally, is something I was REALLY hoping for and so I am very excited about! I have most streaming taken care of by my PS4, and I can AirPlay *music* directly to my Harman Kardon AVR, but there was a void left for one thing.. streaming video from iOS devices. It didn't really matter until AppleTV+ came out, which we currently have no way to view on our TV. Glad that's now taken care of without needing to buy an AppleTV that will just sit there 99.9% of the time!

Anyway, wouldn't you know it that the *day* I'm reading about my TV, it decides to act up.

So this isn't my first problem with the TV. Some of you may remember that it has a glitch in which sometimes there is no audio stream passed from the TV via optical after changing inputs to "channels" (OTA content). Fortunately that hasn't happened lately, and only requires a hard reset of the TV to "fix," but it is annoying none-the-less to have issues out of a TV. Frankly, I wish these TV's weren't as "smart," so that they would be more reliable. C'est la vie.

Moving on... new problem. Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Yesterday when I returned the TV from standby ("turned it on"), it went straight into a loop in which it would show the SONY logo, show the animated android logo (which I never see unless hard restarting), turn the screen off, then turn the TV off, then do it all again.. over and over and over. The TV did not respond to the power button or the remote. After about 30 minutes to an hour of this, it finally rested on some setup screen for "channels" sources or something like that.. an odd screen that I remember seeing when I first setup the TV. So I clicked "done" and then the TV went to the Home screen. However as soon as I tried to click on "settings," the TV froze up. The only way I could get it to stop all of this was to unplug it for a little while. Personally I think it's ridiculous and annoying but yes I probably expect too much out of everything. I just expect things to work, especially when they are top-tier, expensive things. Luckily, all seems OK after the unplug/replug (same as hard reset, I'm guessing?). Anyone else ever have this issue?

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6004 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
What a coincidence...

Yesterday when I returned the TV from standby ("turned it on"), it went straight into a loop in which it would show the SONY logo, show the animated android logo (which I never see unless hard restarting), turn the screen off, then turn the TV off, then do it all again.. over and over and over. The TV did not respond to the power button or the remote. After about 30 minutes to an hour of this, it finally rested on some setup screen for "channels" sources or something like that.. an odd screen that I remember seeing when I first setup the TV. So I clicked "done" and then the TV went to the Home screen. However as soon as I tried to click on "settings," the TV froze up. The only way I could get it to stop all of this was to unplug it for a little while. Personally I think it's ridiculous and annoying but yes I probably expect too much out of everything. I just expect things to work, especially when they are top-tier, expensive things. Luckily, all seems OK after the unplug/replug (same as hard reset, I'm guessing?). Anyone else ever have this issue?
This happened to me as well on Sunday night/early Monday morning. Like you the only way to recover was to completely power down and unplug it for a while. All seems okay now although it shows there is a software update available. I am going to wait a while before I do anything else.
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #6005 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 12:42 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 424 Post(s)
Quoted: 11745 Post(s)
Liked: 6969
Quote:
What a coincidence...

I checked back in here yesterday after what must have been months (busy with the holidays) because I read about AirPlay 2 coming to the Z9F, which, personally, is something I was REALLY hoping for and so I am very excited about! I have most streaming taken care of by my PS4, and I can AirPlay *music* directly to my Harman Kardon AVR, but there was a void left for one thing.. streaming video from iOS devices. It didn't really matter until AppleTV+ came out, which we currently have no way to view on our TV. Glad that's now taken care of without needing to buy an AppleTV that will just sit there 99.9% of the time!

Anyway, wouldn't you know it that the *day* I'm reading about my TV, it decides to act up.

So this isn't my first problem with the TV. Some of you may remember that it has a glitch in which sometimes there is no audio stream passed from the TV via optical after changing inputs to "channels" (OTA content). Fortunately that hasn't happened lately, and only requires a hard reset of the TV to "fix," but it is annoying none-the-less to have issues out of a TV. Frankly, I wish these TV's weren't as "smart," so that they would be more reliable. C'est la vie.

I have not had that issue, but anytime the TV is acting strangely, resetting it to factory defaults is one option to consider. Here is how to do this:

1. Locate buttons on back of the TV. The three buttons are "-", "Power", and "+".

2. Unplug the TV.

3. Hold the "-" button and the Power button down while plugging the TV back in.

4. Observe the LED turn Green.

5. Release the buttons. The LED will flash red briefly, and the TV will shut off.

6. Using the remote, power the TV back on.

7. The TV will show the Android re-booting symbols, and then enter the new TV setup routine.
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #6006 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You can turn down the brightness a lot so suit you in a dark room...
Not for HDR, though, right? I wish I could turn down the overall HDR brightness for use in our dark room at night, but I don't think it's possible.

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #6007 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmsmg View Post
This happened to me as well on Sunday night/early Monday morning. Like you the only way to recover was to completely power down and unplug it for a while. All seems okay now although it shows there is a software update available. I am going to wait a while before I do anything else.
Interesting. FWIW, guys, I do not keep my TV connected to the network so it shouldn't/couldn't have been anything update related (which of course was my first thought).

post #6008 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 02:00 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Interesting. FWIW, guys, I do not keep my TV connected to the network so it shouldn't/couldn't have been anything update related (which of course was my first thought).
Well, in addition to resetting to factory defaults, you might want to update to the latest FW as well.
post #6009 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I have not had that issue, but anytime the TV is acting strangely, resetting it to factory defaults is one option to consider. Here is how to do this:

1. Locate buttons on back of the TV. The three buttons are "-", "Power", and "+".

2. Unplug the TV.

3. Hold the "-" button and the Power button down while plugging the TV back in.

4. Observe the LED turn Green.

5. Release the buttons. The LED will flash red briefly, and the TV will shut off.

6. Using the remote, power the TV back on.

7. The TV will show the Android re-booting symbols, and then enter the new TV setup routine.
Just keep in mind though, that if you have had your TV professionally calibrated, you may lose that. Not sure if it was this thread or the one for the 950G, but someone had confirmed with either the calibrator or Sony that those settings will be lost and the custom modes will no longer be accessible.
post #6010 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 02:41 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Just keep in mind though, that if you have had your TV professionally calibrated, you may lose that. Not sure if it was this thread or the one for the 950G, but someone had confirmed with either the calibrator or Sony that those settings will be lost and the custom modes will no longer be accessible.
I always assume that the wise owner will always have copied down the TV’s settings just in case a reset is required. If that is the case, then the owner is protected.
shoman94 likes this.
post #6011 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I always assume that the wise owner will always have copied down the TV’s settings just in case a reset is required. If that is the case, then the owner is protected.
Copying the info down doesn't really help the owner if the Custom modes unlocked by the calibration is no longer present for the owner to input them back in.
post #6012 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 03:11 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Copying the info down doesn't really help the owner if the Custom modes unlocked by the calibration is no longer present for the owner to input them back in.
Well, let’s see if this pertains to the OP.
post #6013 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
When the wall is filled........

The Z9F has more zones then your last set did. Blacks should be better...... Yes the brightness can be turned down....

---Quit second guessing yourself, stay off the forum, and enjoy that new TV. I do not want to see you in here for at least a week....lol
Only second guessing now because i seen the price drop and knowing the Z9F had eARC and all the features i needed, I purchased it online thru BB before there all gone. Only then did i start reading reviews and jumping on this forum and started learning a little more about the Z9F. Only big concern right now is that this TV is known as being one of the brightest TV's on the market? HDR content may be a problem if i can't tone it down?

Also my TV is wall mounted, so pretty big project pulling down the 900E, changing and adjusting the mounts and re hanging the new TV, then go to find out it's not much better then the 900e or that it's "too bright" in our living room.

Honestly Now after doing a little research, i think the 65" 950G would have been a better fit for our darker living room and it's $400.00 less. Well i guess i have until thursday to decide which TV??

(Living Room) Sony XBR-65Z9F 4K TV, Sony UHP-H1 & Panasonic DP-UB420 4K BD players, Pioneer SC-LX502, Def Tech BP9020's, A90 atmos, CS-9040 C and Di 5.5R surrounds

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
post #6014 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Quoted: 5310 Post(s)
Liked: 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I agree. I love the feature. It's just that many purists don't like any type of mode or feature that automatically calibrates picture settings for them.
On this set the sensor only works on SDR and it does change the calibration.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #6015 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm fairly certain you can install the Bravia app and then try to access it via your browser using the IP address the Bravia app says. That should unlock custom pro 1&2.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #6016 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 09:33 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg53 View Post
I was told by a pro calibrator that the free Bravia app must connect with (at least) the $145 Calman Home for Sony software before the Custom Pro 1 & 2 and the 20 point vs 10 point greyscale setting menus are unlocked. Initiating a calibration process with equipment is not required, but BOTH software packages must exist and communicate with each other.
Well, we are still waiting for @p3trol_h3ad to tell us whether his display has been calibrated or not. In a quick scan of posts he has made, I see no mention of him having calibrated the display. If not, this is a moot discussion, and the recommendation to reset to factory defaults still stands.
shoman94 likes this.
post #6017 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, we are still waiting for @p3trol_h3ad to tell us whether his display has been calibrated or not. In a quick scan of posts he has made, I see no mention of him having calibrated the display. If not, this is a moot discussion, and the recommendation to reset to factory defaults still stands.
This not a moot discussion as my response was for the general reading audience. A factory reset may nullify $$$ worth of professional calibration if they lose the Custom modes unlocked during a professional calibration by doing so. I was just trying to warn the readers of this potential issue before they just go out and do factory resets thinking writing down their settings will be enough.
shoman94 and bobbyg53 like this.
post #6018 of 6102 Old 01-14-2020, 10:26 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
This not a moot discussion as my response was for the general reading audience. A factory reset may nullify $$$ worth of professional calibration if they lose the Custom modes unlocked during a professional calibration by doing so. I was just trying to warn the readers of this potential issue before they just go out and do factory resets thinking writing down their settings will be enough.
Point taken.
post #6019 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post
Only second guessing now because i seen the price drop and knowing the Z9F had eARC and all the features i needed, I purchased it online thru BB before there all gone. Only then did i start reading reviews and jumping on this forum and started learning a little more about the Z9F. Only big concern right now is that this TV is known as being one of the brightest TV's on the market? HDR content may be a problem if i can't tone it down?

Also my TV is wall mounted, so pretty big project pulling down the 900E, changing and adjusting the mounts and re hanging the new TV, then go to find out it's not much better then the 900e or that it's "too bright" in our living room.

Honestly Now after doing a little research, i think the 65" 950G would have been a better fit for our darker living room and it's $400.00 less. Well i guess i have until thursday to decide which TV??
The HDR image is meant to be in absolut values. A piece of white cloth that measured 200 nit in the master process is supposed to meassure as 200 nit on your screen as well. So the propper HDR setting is always Brightness at Max and X-tended dynamic range to Full, with that said you can lower either of both to reduce the brightness of HDR material if you want, but try not to as proper HDR material shouldn't be too bright looking.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #6020 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The HDR image is meant to be in absolut values. A piece of white cloth that measured 200 nit in the master process is supposed to meassure as 200 nit on your screen as well. So the propper HDR setting is always Brightness at Max and X-tended dynamic range to Full, with that said you can lower either of both to reduce the brightness of HDR material if you want, but try not to as proper HDR material shouldn't be too bright looking.
Actually the way HDR is suppose to work depends on the version of HDR or how the tv manufacturer sees fit with tone mapping.

If something is meant to be 1000 nits but it's on an OLED or a cheaper tv that can't do 1000 nits then it won't be the same on every tv. It also depends how the TV manufacturer setup the tv to follow the PQ curve. A good example is Samsung, they are usually follow above the PQ curve.

You should never touch the backlight in HDR because it doesn't work like SDR does. Your best bet is to use the gamma adjustment if you want to lighten or darken the image.

If you want to lower peak brightness then yes reducing XDR does do that but you but also reduce contrast otherwise you will lose out on highlight detail.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
bobbyg53 likes this.

post #6021 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was told by a pro calibrator that the free Bravia app must connect with (at least) the $145 Calman Home for Sony software before the Custom Pro 1 & 2 and the 20 point vs 10 point greyscale setting menus are unlocked. Initiating a calibration process with equipment is not required, but BOTH software packages must exist and communicate with each other.
I haven't tested it with later firmware but early on I was able to do it this way and I believe I read others have also. It would be worth someone testing is on their non calibrated TV.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

post #6022 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked: 5720
Quote:
This is 100% correct. If anyone finds another way please let us know

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LS Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #6023 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 08:18 AM
** Man of Leisure **

I apologize for starting this firestorm about the issues with returning from a reset to factory defaults. Since I have the software and perform my own calibrations, the complication of losing access to the special picture modes never crossed my mind.
post #6024 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Actually the way HDR is suppose to work depends on the version of HDR or how the tv manufacturer sees fit with tone mapping.
Just nitpicking the wordning here, but it is supposed to work that way, 1500 nit in the material should be 1500 on your screen, that's how it's meant to behave as the units are of absolute values. But as you said, this often isn't possible as most TVs can't reproduce 1500 nit and instead uses "tonemaping" to bring down image information that exceeds the TVs max nit or it would otherwise be clipped / over exposed. Also the creator can't know the type of viewing environment the end user will be in and many master movies to be viewed in a dark environment and that will be a problem when the a dark show like the Mandalorian is being shown in a bright room.

Sony ZF9 75" (Owned: Sony KDL-W55905A, Samsung Q9FN 65" & Q900 75")
post #6025 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I apologize for starting this firestorm about the issues with returning from a reset to factory defaults. Since I have the software and perform my own calibrations, the complication of losing access to the special picture modes never crossed my mind.
Definitely not a firestorm. At least that is not how I took it. I saw it as sharing of information and clarification of troubleshooting steps. All positive in my book.
gweempose likes this.
post #6026 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
... So the propper HDR setting is always Brightness at Max and X-tended dynamic range to Full, with that said you can lower either of both to reduce the brightness of HDR material if you want, but try not to as proper HDR material shouldn't be too bright looking.
Are you sure? Sorry if I'm spreading misinformation here, but I could have sworn that when viewing HDR content, my brightness/backlight slider is locked to max.

post #6027 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Try a forced reboot of the TV following this posted guidance by pro calibrator @jrref :

“ . . . with the Sony, holding down the power button on the remote for 10 seconds (while the set is on) will reset and clear the cache on the TV without changing your settings. The factory reset will not do anything more except reset all your settings.”

Like other “smart” tv’s, the Z9F is a computer. A forced reboot (not a factory reset) is often a first recommended course of action to clear the cache of a wifi router, cable modem, PC, etc., and now . . . your smart TV.

Beware that if your set been calibrated, a factory reset will wipe away the calibrated settings, the Custom for Pro 1/Pro 2 picture modes, and the 20-point (versus 10-point) color gamma adjustment point menu. To get those options back, I was informed that it requires the re-installation of the Calman for Bravia app on the Z9F and a minimum $145 purchase/installation of CalMAN Home for Sony software on a PC. The Z9F and PC must then be connected so these two software packages communicate with each other to unlock the two added Custom picture modes and the 20-point gamma adjustment menu. Then you would have to manually re-enter the many dozens of calibrated settings that were wiped away, if you have a record of what they were.
Right. And this would do the exact same thing as either unplugging the unit for a short period of time, OR selecting "restart" from within the "About" menu. Correct?

My display is not calibrated, but just going in and changing all of the settings, disabling certain services, etc. etc. would take long enough that I would never want to fully reset to factory the damn thing.. or I'd be pissed.

Last edited by p3trol_h3ad; 01-15-2020 at 01:13 PM.
post #6028 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IMAX Enhanced question

Watched my first IMAX Enhanced movie a few days ago. I noticed my AVR showed IMAX on it's display but didn't see any mention of it (including in picture settings) on my Z9F. Does the Z9F not have any kind of indication when playing IMAX Enhanced content?
post #6029 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Ok, good to know. Picked up the Z9F today from BB. I will check it out this weekend.

What picture mode is best for all around cable TV watching? I will try to get time to go back thru this thread and see if there are any settings that work well and what should be turned off or left alone.

thanks

(Living Room) Sony XBR-65Z9F 4K TV, Sony UHP-H1 & Panasonic DP-UB420 4K BD players, Pioneer SC-LX502, Def Tech BP9020's, A90 atmos, CS-9040 C and Di 5.5R surrounds

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
post #6030 of 6102 Old 01-15-2020, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got rid of IP control using Harmony. Long press functions gone. Sometimes button press would hesitate. Poor user experience in my opinion. FuboTV app wouldn't function properly.
I had to delete it from Harmony and re-add shopping the IP scan for things to work properly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page