Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019) - Page 212 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4379Likes

post #6331 of 6380 Old 02-14-2020, 12:03 PM
etp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
If you do this, be sure to check Sony website/etc. as the TSSR pin configuration on the Sony is not a "standard" .. so be sure to get the right cable/adapter.
Wow!

$26 for an adapter.

All my cables have the base bottom band as ground. Totally not standard for Sony. The ground is in the middle.

Well I remember this cable in an old video camera but not sure where the cable is these days.

Any source for one at a reasonable cost?

ETP

Last edited by etp; 02-14-2020 at 11:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 6380 Old 02-14-2020, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm looking to purchase an LCD tv for our basement. I do have an LG B7OLED tv in the living room, but I've always been scared to death it would get burn-in. So far so, but I think I want to go LCD for the basement. I saw that Rtings.com listed the Samsung Q8 as the best LCD tv, but wasn't that one destroyed by the Sony Z9F in the shootout? Is this the better tv to go with?
post #6333 of 6380 Old 02-14-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Wow. So basically this set is now affordable for the masses so here comes the flood.

I just love how easy it was to hate this TV when it was expensive. I mean, I get it.. you want perfection when you spend a lot of cash. But people never seem to understand the law of diminishing returns.

ANYWAY...

Guys.. This is the one of the best LCD TVs out there. Period. The ONLY reason(s) to go with another TV are specific. Such as.. OLED if it fits your viewing habits, or perhaps Samsung Q90 if reflections are horrid in your area. Otherwise, this is the best. It's bright (good), fast (good), upscales THE BEST, and has an angle viewing layer (good). Why all the questions? Yes, everyone hated on this set when it first came out, but that doesn't mean it had issues.. that was just because people had unrealistic expectations, and love to nit-pick the king of the hill. It succeeded the Z9D which was $9000 when launched. This TV, which outperforms that Z9D in most areas, was launched at half the cost. Of course everyone cried about contrast and black levels because SONY took a different approach to this TV - a less costly and more informed approach. As viewers buy larger TV's and thus sit relatively closer to them, X Wide Angle is a MUST.. however it degrades contrast during *TESTING* (not real world use, necessarily).. so reviewers just loved to nit-pick the "contrast issue" without ever taking a step-back to fully understand the situation.

At the end of the day, it's simple. There are dozens of people in this thread that actually bought the TV despite the noob-reviewer's hate, and we freaking love it. We saw through the BS and are happy that we did. I almost hope that you overly-skeptical type DON'T buy this set so that it can remain the best unappreciated TV out there. You probably don't deserve it, and I love being the underdog.

Finally... Blooming. The TV gets really bright so, all else equal, it will bloom more than other TV's. That's just science. Is that a bad thing? No. If you want the same blooming levels of other TVs, just turn down the brightness. In HDR mode this can be done by using a lower setting for XDR.. I keep mine on low, and local dimming on medium, and I never notice blooming unless it's absolutely the most stressing image such as the bright, white SONY logo against a fully back background.

Tongue in cheek aside... Cheers.
LOL...never mind, I think this answers my question. See what a little reading does!
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6334 of 6380 Old 02-14-2020, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
LOL...never mind, I think this answers my question. See what a little reading does!
Z9D was picked upon too for its motion blur, bottom line at this price point people want flawless execution, there is no tv which can be bloom free in dark and super bright for day. OLED is dark viewing king but does not do well in bright room LCD are bright room king not so well in dark viewing.
Z9F TV is super good for bright room and reasonable for dark room and now reasonable price point.

Samsung Q90 R 75 inch check all boxes but not the price, at those price point OLED 77 inch makes more sense. people do not have to agree on one point, at least there are choices. this tv works for my usage. once you define usage the price point selects itself or you make compromise.
mine will be delivered tomorrow. i will get it installed also if there are no issues with TV.
p3trol_h3ad likes this.

SONY XBR75X900F: Oppo UDP-203: DirecTv 4K: ATV4K
Marantz SR6013: Aircom T8: Dolby Atmos 5.2.4
Definitive Tech. BP9060, CS 9060 HD: Mythos GEM: SM 55
Subwoofer Paradigm X12: Panamax MR4300
Harmony Elite Remote:Philips Hue Ambient Lights
post #6335 of 6380 Old 02-14-2020, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5455 Post(s)
Liked: 3741
Quote:
I'm looking to purchase an LCD tv for our basement. I do have an LG B7OLED tv in the living room, but I've always been scared to death it would get burn-in. So far so, but I think I want to go LCD for the basement. I saw that Rtings.com listed the Samsung Q8 as the best LCD tv, but wasn't that one destroyed by the Sony Z9F in the shootout? Is this the better tv to go with?
If you want picture accuracy then you don't want a Samsung. You have to weight all your needs and wants in a TV. What you use it for from most important to least and choose a TV based on that. There is no one best TV that does everything right.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #6336 of 6380 Old 02-14-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
If you want picture accuracy then you don't want a Samsung. You have to weight all your needs and wants in a TV. What you use it for from most important to least and choose a TV based on that. There is no one best TV that does everything right.

It’s going to be in our basement so it will largely be a sports and movies tv, not much for video games. I think I prefer a slightly brighter picture. My OLED is great for everything accept Dolby Vision...to the point where I have disabled it on my Panasonic 4K player and on our AppleTV. I just found it too dark, and to make matters worse it would progressively get darker during prolonged dark scenes...there’s a way to disable the ABL but I didn’t want to mess with the warranty.

So I’d like a good sports tv, and a good HDR movies tv.
post #6337 of 6380 Old 02-14-2020, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It’s going to be in our basement so it will largely be a sports and movies tv, not much for video games. I think I prefer a slightly brighter picture. My OLED is great for everything accept Dolby Vision...to the point where I have disabled it on my Panasonic 4K player and on our AppleTV. I just found it too dark, and to make matters worse it would progressively get darker during prolonged dark scenes...there’s a way to disable the ABL but I didn’t want to mess with the warranty.

So I’d like a good sports tv, and a good HDR movies tv.
Well the Z9F is great at both. As long as you don't mine perfect blacks which you can mitigate with settings or some bias lighting or any room lighting really. Technically HDR movies are mastered with a room light of 5 nits so it's not perfectly dark..... Similar to a movie theater. Sony really cares about their TVs looking as close to the mastering monitor as possible.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #6338 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Weird issue with my ZF9 that's been in use for about a month. It is connected to a 5GHz wifi network with no interference, and the network diagnostics are good with zero issues.

Three times now, mainly late in the evening, the TV will show being connected to the Internet, and apps such as Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Prime will open with the thumbnails and act normally. When I click on a video/movie/program to view, there's a delay (on Netflix the yellow circle spins) and then nothing happens. On Netflix that means a black screen. On YouTube that means the video loads but doesn't actually play.

If I do a hard reboot (pulling the plug, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging back in) then everything is fine. Is this a known issue of some kind? I saw a support article that mentioned time sync, but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Thoughts?
etp likes this.
post #6339 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Weird issue with my ZF9 that's been in use for about a month. It is connected to a 5GHz wifi network with no interference, and the network diagnostics are good with zero issues.

Three times now, mainly late in the evening, the TV will show being connected to the Internet, and apps such as Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Prime will open with the thumbnails and act normally. When I click on a video/movie/program to view, there's a delay (on Netflix the yellow circle spins) and then nothing happens. On Netflix that means a black screen. On YouTube that means the video loads but doesn't actually play.

If I do a hard reboot (pulling the plug, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging back in) then everything is fine. Is this a known issue of some kind? I saw a support article that mentioned time sync, but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Thoughts?
I have no experience with WiFi on the TV because I directly connect it via Ethernet. I still don't trust wifi for streaming.

Last edited by shoman94; 02-15-2020 at 08:50 AM.
post #6340 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I have no experience with WiFi because I directly connect it via Ethernet. I still don't trust wifi for streaming.
This isn't a wifi issue. I've been streaming HD and 4K content via wifi for years and have zero network related issues. My WiFi 6 router is about 10-15 feet from the TV (but not in a way that an ethernet cable could be run to the TV) and I've streamed for hours to this TV in 4K with zero issues.

The issue seems to be some kind of Android or hardware issue since a restart instantly removes the problem. Trying to determine if this is a software issue, or do I need to contact Sony to send a service tech or a replacement unit.

Anyone having similar issues where streaming apps just kind of go "out to lunch" but the network is up?
post #6341 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This isn't a wifi issue. I've been streaming HD and 4K content via wifi for years and have zero network related issues. My WiFi 6 router is about 10-15 feet from the TV (but not in a way that an ethernet cable could be run to the TV) and I've streamed for hours to this TV in 4K with zero issues.

The issue seems to be some kind of Android or hardware issue since a restart instantly removes the problem. Trying to determine if this is a software issue, or do I need to contact Sony to send a service tech or a replacement unit.

Anyone having similar issues where streaming apps just kind of go "out to lunch" but the network is up?
There is always issues with WiFi one time or another. I use wifi all over my house as well streaming 4k HDR, two kids gaming on 2 Xboxes all the time. The tv does not use wifi6 so that doesn't matter either.

It surely could be a software problem with the new Android pie. There is other bugs wit it as well that I'm dealing with. There really hasn't been a lot of complaints about wifi but there have been a few and you can search those to read about them. Another option is to perform a full reset of your TV but you will load everything and be starting over like it was a brand new TV.

If you have the ability to run an Ethernet cable to it is recommend that.

post #6342 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

Thoughts?
5ghz wi-fi has caused issues with Sony's Android TVs over the years. Why? Who knows. Mesh networks where the SSID is the same between the 2.4 and 5ghz network sometimes seem to be an issue.

That said you may have a couple of better options than doing a "pull the plug" reboot.

1) Try switching to your 2.4 network then back to the 5ghz network. This works about 90% of the time for me
2) Try holding down the power button on your Sony remote for 8-10 seconds to initiate as rebooot, this is the same as a "pull the plug" reboot without having to actually pulling the plug
3) Scroll down to settings and initiate a reboot from there

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #6343 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
5ghz wi-fi has caused issues with Sony's Android TVs over the years. Why? Who knows. Mesh networks where the SSID is the same between the 2.4 and 5ghz network sometimes seem to be an issue.

That said you may have a couple of better options than doing a "pull the plug" reboot.

1) Try switching to your 2.4 network then back to the 5ghz network. This works about 90% of the time for me
2) Try holding down the power button on your Sony remote for 8-10 seconds to initiate as rebooot, this is the same as a "pull the plug" reboot without having to actually pulling the plug
3) Scroll down to settings and initiate a reboot from there
Thanks. So it sounds like you have had similar issues before? In my case the SSIDs are not the same between 2.4 and 5 GHz networks and there is no mesh in place, but it's helpful to know that 5 GHz has been an issue in the past.

I'm not saying WiFi networks can't be an issue, but in my case, there doesn't appear to be anything that would indicate that the wireless connectivity is an issue in and of itself.
post #6344 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 464
You might also want to try setting a static frequency on the WiFi router for the 5G band. IIRC someone had stated that solved the issue for them. It's possible the router switched frequency and the TV did not make the same change. This would support the symptoms and resolution steps you are reporting. Resetting the TV would force a renegotiation with the router.
AustinJerry and shoman94 like this.
post #6345 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 11:12 AM
etp

Funny, I was going to post this issue also.

I have the same issue with all my apps on most of my TVs/even the LAN cable connected one.. When I hit the home button and go back to the app it usually fixes the issue. My new Linksys - MX10 Velop AX Mesh Wi-Fi 6 system auto assigns everything so I would need to dig into the specific settings for each TV in the mesh setup. Seems the old router had issues with loosing connectivity also. I also get pixelization on occasion on every TV in the house so I assume that is poor service from the APP or Spectrum. Spectrum has checked everything and says I am good but I still think it's the internet service. My new system never drops a security camera or appliance control like the old one did.

It is not the TV (two brands and 4 TVs do this in my house) although it is possible for one brand or model to work differently with the same connection.

It is the internet service, WIFI system/router, or app availability online.

While we are on a roll! No Amazon Music App in the Google play store. 2 strikes or more so far for Android and Google.

Noticed my 900E let me choose screen fill settings. Wonder if this a model specific issue?

Seems I saw a place in the manual that said use 2.4 if you are having connectivity issues. My TVs sit right next to the two mesh routers.

ETP

Last edited by etp; 02-15-2020 at 11:41 AM.
post #6346 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 11:24 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 11931 Post(s)
Liked: 7098
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
You might also want to try setting a static frequency on the WiFi router for the 5G band. IIRC someone had stated that solved the issue for them. It's possible the router switched frequency and the TV did not make the same change. This would support the symptoms and resolution steps you are reporting. Resetting the TV would force a renegotiation with the router.
I second this recommendation. Ever since I purchased this TV over a year ago, I had not been able to reliably sustain the WiFi connection. Several weeks ago someone made the recommendation to change the Control Channel setting on my router from Auto to Fixed, and choose a channel. Ever since this change was made, the WiFi connection has not dropped a single time. I am using the 5GHz WiFi connection.
shoman94 likes this.
post #6347 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion, but am already setting the channel to be fixed/static, so in this case that's not a factor.
post #6348 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion, but am already setting the channel to be fixed/static, so in this case that's not a factor.
One other suggestion I've seen is to establish an IP reservation for your TV in the DHCP settings on the router.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #6349 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg53 View Post
Our ISP concluded that the root cause of our evening-only streaming issues was the ISP’s network traffic, which peaks from 6:30pm-11:00pm. They said they have to “throttle” their internet speeds down as much as 75% during peak demand to just maintain customer connectivity due to extraordinary Netflix and Alexa-type traffic in the evening hours.

The ISP recommended installing an application named “Speedtest by Ookla” and running it at different times of day. It was/is an eye-opener to see the variation in download/upload speeds caused by issues outside of our home network.

Otherwise, the ISP did recommend rebooting the cable modem at least once a week to clear its cache, which does seem to stabilize performance somewhat. Nothing wrong with our Z9F, UB820’s, ATV4k, etc.
Wow that's nuts. I have always used a custom DNS server and never had any bogging issues with peak time at night but at the same some I live in a 11,000 person small city.

post #6350 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I second this recommendation. Ever since I purchased this TV over a year ago, I had not been able to reliably sustain the WiFi connection. Several weeks ago someone made the recommendation to change the Control Channel setting on my router from Auto to Fixed, and choose a channel. Ever since this change was made, the WiFi connection has not dropped a single time. I am using the 5GHz WiFi connection.
Yea I've always done that too. I have my Netgear R7000 using Ch153 for 5G, and the most open 2.4G in my area along with a 3rd 2.4G router using a a different channel for my wireless cameras and doorbells. I use a DNS server that is best suited for me and all my devices use my routers DNS. So all in all I have 2 routers, powerline adapter set and an 8 port giga switch running with zero network issues. I am at my limit with my router though. In the kids playroom one Xbox games thru my 2.4G and my other son uses his laptop to gamestream thru my Ethernet connected Xbox One X in the living room via WiFi. They play all evening while the wife and I stream 4k HDR and other things. It's amazing what this network can do. The router does get a bit warm. I'm thinking a may need to get the R7800. It has more memory and better CPU.

post #6351 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Wow that's nuts. I have always used a custom DNS server and never had any bogging issues with peak time at night but at the same some I live in a 11,000 person small city.

Same here, the custom DNS server has stabilized our ISP connection, but it has had no noticeable effect on local peak usage download/upload speeds. Our local ISP system is the weakest link due to their aged nodes and copper wire infrastructure. They’ve lost a LOT of cable tv customers to IP streaming which they did not see coming.

In any case, our Z9F delivers what it receives . . . flawlessly!
shoman94 likes this.
post #6352 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 7138 Post(s)
Liked: 7180
Quote:
I think the best all time LED made was the Z9D.... I personally would get a Z9F over a Q8FN or Q80R.
post #6353 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I think the best all time LED made was the Z9D.... I personally would get a Z9F over a Q8FN or Q80R.
Maybe is certain aspects.... For me it isn't otherwise I would have purchased it.

post #6354 of 6380 Old 02-15-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg53 View Post
We upgraded from the Netgear R7000 to R7800. Much faster response to anything internet related, and it maintains solid wi-fi connectivity and outstanding throughput through walls at great distances. Most reliable and best performing router we’ve owned. Highly recommended.

Tim Higgins’ review:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...viewed?start=0

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tool...rs/router/view
Yes that's the one I'm looking at getting but right now it isn't necessary.

post #6355 of 6380 Old 02-16-2020, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Got my 75 inch delivered yesterday, it has been wall mounted, long day it was, all set now, connected DTv 4K, ATv 4K and Panasonic ub900 4K Blu-ray. Overall very good tv, have to use it more for detail write up, one Thing for sure is SD PQ is superb like my X900F, have to implement some picture setting from rating to see if it helps, Netflix and amazon prime looks good, tv does not have inky black bars of Q80R but no black crush either. I have not noticed much flickering of black bars, ok to watch in bright or dark environment, viewing angle is very good as compared to my X900F which is not good may be 30 deg off axis, sound is ok but not much deeper I have jamo toresten sound bar connected so tv speaker are disabled
Android system is no slouch very quick with menus, it is easy to use amazon prime and Netflix app from smart tv area, they are right in front in main screen. So if compare to my 900f it is better tv but if some one want to save money was 75 900F is $1300 cheaper today at Best Buy, difference is on z9f is x1 ultimate chip and viewing angle. Build quality top notch also. Comparing to X950G this tv is better.

post #6356 of 6380 Old 02-16-2020, 09:57 AM
etp

Anyone getting a browser highjacker at this site? Also looks like some posts are missing??? On my iphone
post #6357 of 6380 Old 02-16-2020, 10:03 AM
etp

Hooked up 3 TVs VFR direct and the service is slightly better but mainly just download speeds
post #6358 of 6380 Old 02-16-2020, 10:04 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 11931 Post(s)
Liked: 7098
Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post
Anyone getting a browser highjacker at this site? Also looks like some posts are missing??? On my iphone
Not me, and I run pretty tight security on my devices.
post #6359 of 6380 Old 02-17-2020, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Need help with one issue. I have sound bar connected to tv via optical. The issue is sound bar keep turning on even when tv is off. Sound bar has never done this with my previous Samsung and Panasonic TVs. So now sound bar is on and when I use harmony remote to let say watch smart tv it turns off sound bar because it was on before, now I have to manually turn on sound bar. Sound bar is Jamo Toresten
In tv setting I am using sound with external speakers.

post #6360 of 6380 Old 02-17-2020, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Sony Z9F 65" at $1400 range

Hi folks. Just wanted to seek opinion if Sony Z9F 65" is still the best LED TV as of Feb 2020 or shall I consider any other one?
I am not interested in OLED because its mainly for a pitch dark room. I need a new TV for bedroom where there will be some window light or dimly lit bulb at night during viewing.

I tend to incline towards best possible natural colors, least possible jitter or motion flaws, true cinema (24P) for movies and great motion for sports but not too much soap opera effect. Sony does fall into these features but I was confused between Vizio Quantum X and Sony 950G. Not sure about Samsung Q80/90 etc. Vizio Quantum X is reviewed very close to Z9F.

My main worry is the blooming effect comments all over place for Z9F.

What do you guys think of Z9F 65" at $1400 (newegg via gameliquidations) ?

Last edited by ngupta; 02-17-2020 at 08:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page