Official Sony Master Series Z9F 75/65” Owners Thread (2018/2019) - Page 237 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4591Likes

post #7081 of 7139 Old 06-25-2020, 08:03 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 488 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12739 Post(s)
Liked: 7670
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraiggers View Post
Another question for you all: is there any meaningful difference between a Z9F manufactured early on versus one manufactured more recently?

The one I just opened with a missing back cover panel was built in august 18, which has to be pretty early in the production cycle. Probably irrelevant to the missing panel, but are there any differences to speak of with newer ones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, I have only owned one Z9F, so it would be difficult for me to tell. I have not heard any mention of differences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7082 of 7139 Old 06-25-2020, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Anyone receive an (apparently unopened?) unit to find the side back panel missing? The one that goes over input 1, no the long skinny one.

Just got my replacement for the one with the bad hdmi port, and I’️m unboxing it, and that panel isn’️t there...?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That panel should absolutely be included. Must have been an open box at some point...
post #7083 of 7139 Old 06-25-2020, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony View Post
That panel should absolutely be included. Must have been an open box at some point...
That was my first thought, too, but I honestly don't think it was. There were *no* signs that the box had ever been open. The only thing I noticed was that it was an August 2018 build, so it must have been sitting around in a warehouse for quite a while… And no way would I keep the TV without that panel. Both for aesthetic reasons, and for wondering what else might have been missed in the QC check. I mean, that's a fairly large panel to have been overlooked! Regardless, *super* weird.

Anyway, I'm sending it back and trying a third time. Fingers crossed. I'm gettin pretty good at un/boxing this TV. :/

If I run into another issue, then the universe may be telling me not to get this TV…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7084 of 7139 Old 06-25-2020, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Given the early manufacture date, the missing panel and the closed box, I wonder if the unit was factory refurbished and put in a new sealed box minus the panel.
Jim Kiler likes this.
post #7085 of 7139 Old 06-26-2020, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 5751 Post(s)
Liked: 3846
Quote:
Another question for you all: is there any meaningful difference between a Z9F manufactured early on versus one manufactured more recently?

The one I just opened with a missing back cover panel was built in august 18, which has to be pretty early in the production cycle. Probably irrelevant to the missing panel, but are there any differences to speak of with newer ones?

The only thing I can tell you is that the early runs got pulled back to Sony with no explanation. The thread OP managed to get likely the first one of those ,before they got pulled, that frequent AVS. He ended up finding a manufacturer defect in the layers of the panel using reflection of bright lighting like a sunny window. I assume those that got pulled were inspected and repaired before being re-released.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018 Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #7086 of 7139 Old 06-26-2020, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was my first thought, too, but I honestly don't think it was. There were *no* signs that the box had ever been open. The only thing I noticed was that it was an August 2018 build, so it must have been sitting around in a warehouse for quite a while… And no way would I keep the TV without that panel. Both for aesthetic reasons, and for wondering what else might have been missed in the QC check. I mean, that's a fairly large panel to have been overlooked! Regardless, *super* weird.

Anyway, I'm sending it back and trying a third time. Fingers crossed. I'm gettin pretty good at un/boxing this TV. :/

If I run into another issue, then the universe may be telling me not to get this TV…
You could have just kept the panel from the the first one and sent that one back without it.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio M50-E1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Marantz SR6013, AppleTV-4K, XBox One & (X), NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #7087 of 7139 Old 06-26-2020, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyone receive an (apparently unopened?) unit to find the side back panel missing? The one that goes over input 1, no the long skinny one.

Just got my replacement for the one with the bad hdmi port, and I’m unboxing it, and that panel isn’t there...?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't remember, how many panels were included? I have the one on the left side of the TV on. I have my wall hanging.... Is there another panel?

post #7088 of 7139 Old 06-26-2020, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I can't remember, how many panels were included? I have the one on the left side of the TV on. I have my wall hanging.... Is there another panel?

There are two panels. A long skinny horizontal one that runs the length of the back, mostly. And a taller one that goes on the right side (looking from the back) covering up the inputs.

post #7089 of 7139 Old 06-26-2020, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There are two panels. A long skinny horizontal one that runs the length of the back, mostly. And a taller one that goes on the right side (looking from the back) covering up the inputs.

If you wall mount I don't think you can use the bottom cover? I assume that's why I didn't put it on.

post #7090 of 7139 Old 06-26-2020, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I always leave my panels off. I never see the back of the TV, and if I ever have to change anything, it's easier access to the ports, so I never saw the point of having them on there personally. But yeah, that's strange that yours shipped without it.
gweempose and Jim Kiler like this.
post #7091 of 7139 Old 06-28-2020, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Does anyone have a clear understanding of what “Sound Mode Sync” does? Can you please explain to me?

I use an AVR and all my audio goes via the source to the AVR over HDMI or via eARC from the apps on the TV. Enabling or disabling “Sound Mode Sync” seems to make no difference to actual audio output.
post #7092 of 7139 Old 06-28-2020, 01:25 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Does anyone have a clear understanding of what “Sound Mode Sync” does? Can you please explain to me?

I use an AVR and all my audio goes via the source to the AVR over HDMI or via eARC from the apps on the TV. Enabling or disabling “Sound Mode Sync” seems to make no difference to actual audio output.
“Sound Mode Sync ensures that the [Sound mode] you have applied to an input source (HDMI, Digital Broadcast, Apps, Apps (Video), etc.) is passed on to your receiver through the HDMI ARC interface.“
post #7093 of 7139 Old 06-28-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Quote:

“Sound Mode Sync ensures that the [Sound mode] you have applied to an input source (HDMI, Digital Broadcast, Apps, Apps (Video), etc.) is passed on to your receiver through the HDMI ARC interface.“
LOL...yes I know what the manual says...and that’s all it says. What exactly does that mean? 🙂

I’ve not noticed any difference with it enabled or disabled. Where should I see a difference?
post #7094 of 7139 Old 06-28-2020, 02:28 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
LOL...yes I know what the manual says...and that’s all it says. What exactly does that mean? 🙂

I’ve not noticed any difference with it enabled or disabled. Where should I see a difference?
Well, there are a number of sound modes you can select, e.g. Standard, Sports, Dolby Audio, etc. Whichever mode you select will result in the same sound mode on your AVR, passed over eARC, assuming you are using eARC. Sounds pretty straight-forward to me. I don’t use eARC, so I can’t actually test it out.
post #7095 of 7139 Old 06-28-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
LOL...yes I know what the manual says...and that’️s all it says. What exactly does that mean? 🙂

I’️ve not noticed any difference with it enabled or disabled. Where should I see a difference?
Well, there are a number of sound modes you can select, e.g. Standard, Sports, Dolby Audio, etc. Whichever mode you select will result in the same sound mode on your AVR, passed over eARC, assuming you are using eARC. Sounds pretty straight-forward to me. I don’️t use eARC, so I can’️t actually test it out.
Then something isn’t right. Nothing changes regardless of “sound mode” or the selection of sound mode sync.

I have eARC set to auto, but do have issues that I went into earlier in this thread related to DTS working and then not working.

The picture is great on this TV but there are way too many bugs. Features tied to standards should just work.
post #7096 of 7139 Old 06-28-2020, 03:14 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Then something isn’t right. Nothing changes regardless of “sound mode” or the selection of sound mode sync.

I have eARC set to auto, but do have issues that I went into earlier in this thread related to DTS working and then not working.

The picture is great on this TV but there are way too many bugs. Features tied to standards should just work.
As I said, I don't use eARC so can't comment on how the feature actually works or doesn't work. Perhaps someone else can assist you. I don't share your sentiment that this display has too many bugs, unless all of the bugs you think the set has are related to eARC. I can't think of a single bug that affects my enjoyment of the Z9F.
post #7097 of 7139 Old 06-28-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Then something isn’️t right. Nothing changes regardless of “sound mode” or the selection of sound mode sync.

As I said, I don't use eARC so can't comment on how the feature actually works or doesn't work. Perhaps someone else can assist you. I don't share your sentiment that this display has too many bugs, unless all of the bugs you think the set has are related to eARC. I can't think of a single bug that affects my enjoyment of the Z9F.
Almost all the issues are audio related so very well could be eARC related. DTS and Atmos issues aren’t most of them, but other things happen related to Netflix not having any audio, etc.
post #7098 of 7139 Old 06-28-2020, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

If an a/v source device is connected directly to an AVR and not directly to the TV, as an external audio device, the AVR controls its own own sound mode/sound field. Here’s a Sony support article about when using the TV as the audio SOURCE to control an external Bravia-sync audio device:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00203534

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Sony XBR75Z9F/NAD T778/KEF R2C & R300s/SVS SB-2000/ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/TP-Link AV1300/DirecTV C61K/Furman PST-8D
Sony XBR65Z9F & HT-ST5000/Panasonic UB820/Netgear R7800/DirecTV HS17/Synology DS216+/Furman PST-8D & AC-215A
post #7099 of 7139 Old 06-29-2020, 03:45 PM
** Man of Leisure **

I recently installed the HBO MAX app on my Z9F. I have been watching the series Love Life and on an impulse I checked the Picture Settings. They were completely wrong—wrong picture mode, wrong color temperature, wrong brightness setting, etc. When a new app is installed, where does the display get the default settings from? I wish when we established settings for an app like Netflix, the settings would automatically carry over to all other apps by default. The way it works seems unnecessarily complicated.
post #7100 of 7139 Old 06-29-2020, 04:07 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg53 View Post
Were you handling the remote while you were watching the series “Love Life”?
What do you mean?
post #7101 of 7139 Old 06-30-2020, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I recently installed the HBO MAX app on my Z9F. I have been watching the series Love Life and on an impulse I checked the Picture Settings. They were completely wrong—wrong picture mode, wrong color temperature, wrong brightness setting, etc. When a new app is installed, where does the display get the default settings from? I wish when we established settings for an app like Netflix, the settings would automatically carry over to all other apps by default. The way it works seems unnecessarily complicated.
There are 3 picture setting groups to use for apps. At least it's not every app that has its own setting.

Apps, Apps(video) and Netflix

Jim Kiler likes this.

post #7102 of 7139 Old 06-30-2020, 06:34 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
There are 3 picture setting groups to use for apps. At least it's not every app that has its own setting.

Apps, Apps(video) and Netflix

Sorry, you know this how? If I wanted to look at the settings for the first two, where would I go? And what is the difference between Apps and Apps (video)?
post #7103 of 7139 Old 06-30-2020, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, you know this how? If I wanted to look at the settings for the first two, where would I go? And what is the difference between Apps and Apps (video)?
When you press options/picture settings it's listed at the top.

The differences are the settings. Instead of having picture settings for each app, it's separated into 3 categories.

irishluck73 likes this.

post #7104 of 7139 Old 06-30-2020, 07:29 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
When you press options/picture settings it's listed at the top.

The differences are the settings. Instead of having picture settings for each app, it's separated into 3 categories.

Thanks. Until now, I never noticed the “Picture” designation at the top of the screen, and that it changed depending on the source. And, of course, there is a Picture mode for each HDMI input you might be using. The previous TV apps I have been using are Netflix and Amazon Prime. Prime is considered an “Apps(Video)” picture. When I installed HBO Max, it is considered an “Apps”, not an “Apps(Video)”, not sure why. Since this is the first “Apps” I have installed, it still had default settings (Picture Mode=Standard, Brightness=35, etc.).

So, mystery solved. I still think the way Sony has this set up is overly complicated and likely confusing to many people, especially if users perceive that picture quality is changing all the time.
post #7105 of 7139 Old 06-30-2020, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Until now, I never noticed the “Picture” designation at the top of the screen, and that it changed depending on the source. And, of course, there is a Picture mode for each HDMI input you might be using. The previous TV apps I have been using are Netflix and Amazon Prime. Prime is considered an “Apps(Video)” picture. When I installed HBO Max, it is considered an “Apps”, not an “Apps(Video)”, not sure why. Since this is the first “Apps” I have installed, it still had default settings (Picture Mode=Standard, Brightness=35, etc.).

So, mystery solved. I still think the way Sony has this set up is overly complicated and likely confusing to many people, especially if users perceive that picture quality is changing all the time.
Personally I can see why it was done but I think the app developers are not designating them correctly. Video apps like Channels, Vudu etc should be "apps (video) and other apps like say weather or file managers etc should be "apps".

Jim Kiler likes this.

post #7106 of 7139 Old 06-30-2020, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Just to follow up to this discussion, yes, you have to copy the settings for all these extra app modes separately. That goes for Game mode as well if you play video games. As far as I could find, there's no way to automatically do it.

Fortunately, color temperature covers the most important thing and does carry over, but you'll still have to manually copy over Picture settings -> Advanced settings -> Per Color Adjustments (6 colors, 3 settings each) for each mode for some reason (unless this has changed in a recent software update; I haven't recalibrated for a few versions). I believe I had to copy these over four times: Apps, Apps (Video), Netflix app, and Game Mode. [Because of the sound-issues, I'm using almost all 3rd party apps via AppleTV or Roku now where possible, so it's not necessary if you use those boxes of course...still will need to for Game mode for game consoles, though]. And yes, you have to make sure brightness, all local dimming or enhanced picture settings, etc. are matched up too with your other modes. These are all treated separately for those modes I believe.
post #7107 of 7139 Old 06-30-2020, 08:23 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupta View Post
Just to follow up to this discussion, yes, you have to copy the settings for all these extra app modes separately. That goes for Game mode as well if you play video games. As far as I could find, there's no way to automatically do it.

Fortunately, color temperature covers the most important thing and does carry over, but you'll still have to manually copy over Picture settings -> Advanced settings -> Per Color Adjustments (6 colors, 3 settings each) for each mode for some reason (unless this has changed in a recent software update; I haven't recalibrated for a few versions). I believe I had to copy these over four times: Apps, Apps (Video), Netflix app, and Game Mode. [Because of the sound-issues, I'm using almost all 3rd party apps via AppleTV or Roku now where possible, so it's not necessary if you use those boxes of course...still will need to for Game mode for game consoles, though]. And yes, you have to make sure brightness, all local dimming or enhanced picture settings, etc. are matched up too with your other modes. These are all treated separately for those modes I believe.
I believe you forgot the HDMI port as requiring settings to be checked as well.
post #7108 of 7139 Old 06-30-2020, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe you forgot the HDMI port as requiring settings to be checked as well.
True - I only use the one HDMI port on my TV (HDMI3) and everything else goes through the receiver, but each HDMI you use would need checked too as I'm not sure if all settings carry over to other ports. Since in my case I calibrated through HDMI3 to begin with (it's been a while, but as far as I remember, the settings were saved to HDMI3), it was prettymuch set, and those were the settings copied to the other apps/modes.
post #7109 of 7139 Old 07-01-2020, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have been going back and forth between grabbing one of these on clearance or a new 900H. Trying to decide if future proofing or overall picture quality should take precedence.
post #7110 of 7139 Old 07-01-2020, 02:18 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyman View Post
I have been going back and forth between grabbing one of these on clearance or a new 900H. Trying to decide if future proofing or overall picture quality should take precedence.
Define “future proofing” and how it pertains to differences between the Z9F and the 900H.
shoman94 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page