• 1 Post By srust
  • 1 Post By Nillaz

post #1 of 8 Old 10-16-2018, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Samsung Q9FN vs. LG C8?

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this but wasn't able to find a forum to compare different technologies.

I am getting a check from LG to pay for an E6 with burn-in problems they can't fix. I'm now faced with getting another OLED and hope that the 2018 version is a lot more burn-in resistant than my 2016 unit or just avoid the technology altogether and get Q9FN QLED and live with the narrower viewing angle.

I've checked them both out in Best Buy and the LG looks a bit better but the Q9FN is pretty nice too.

I know the C8 is very new but does anyone have any experience with burn-in yet?

Any drawbacks with the Q9FN other than the viewing angle? My wife and I will be in front of the set all the time but when we have guests...

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by plonk View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this but wasn't able to find a forum to compare different technologies.

I am getting a check from LG to pay for an E6 with burn-in problems they can't fix. I'm now faced with getting another OLED and hope that the 2018 version is a lot more burn-in resistant than my 2016 unit or just avoid the technology altogether and get Q9FN QLED and live with the narrower viewing angle.

I've checked them both out in Best Buy and the LG looks a bit better but the Q9FN is pretty nice too.

Any drawbacks with the Q9FN other than the viewing angle? My wife and I will be in front of the set all the time but when we have guests...

Any suggestions?
Unless your guests are hardcore videophiles or are going to be watching from the side of the TV, the viewing angles are not really a factor. My wife and kids watch our Q9FN from every conceivable angle and don't seem to notice anything being amiss. Other than gray bars on 2:1 content (normal letterbox bars are black), the picture is stunning. Daytime viewing in a bright room is astonishing. I'm looking forward to getting it pro calibrated just to really dial in the colors, but I'm truly delighted with this set, having come from a calibrated Panasonic VT-50. It's the most versatile, enjoyable TV I've ever owned.
plonk likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-16-2018, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
I have two small Samsungs and two LG's (a 47" and a brand new 65" C8). The Samsungs are still very nice for LCD technology but the off-axis viewing, for us, sucks big time. The smaller LG, while it doesn't have the black levels like the Samsungs, has off-axis viewing to die for. The C8 otoh is just phenomenal. No matter where one sits in the room, the viewing is angle is a good as it is dead on. Viewing angles aside, the performance so far on the C8 is just amazing. I didn't compare it to the Q9FN in person so I can't speak to the performance of the Q9FN but I find it hard to believe that there is something better than the C8, at least for our viewing habits.
plonk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-17-2018, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Any drawbacks with the Q9FN other than the viewing angle?
There's some DSE in hockey with our FA02 panel Q9FN, but in every other way we're 100% satisfied and 4k HDR is amazing.
plonk likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Any suggestions?
I have both a C7 and a Q9FN. I'm astonished with the black levels on the Q9. I's say 95% of the C7. Off axis viewing would be the main caveat of the Q9, but if that's not an issue, you would be delighted with it as I am. I wouldn't think the C8 would be much of an improvement in terms of potential burn-in than your E6. See Rtings.com for burn in testing on 6 & 7 series. The 7 was supposed to be an improvement with some tweaks to alleviate burn-in, but the results of the ongoing tests disprove that under certain conditions. My C7 has been moved to our upstairs loft (which is seldom used) and the Q9 replaces it in our family room.
plonk likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by srust View Post
I wouldn't think the C8 would be much of an improvement in terms of potential burn-in than your E6. See Rtings.com for burn in testing on 6 & 7 series. The 7 was supposed to be an improvement with some tweaks to alleviate burn-in, but the results of the ongoing tests disprove that under certain conditions.

Yeah, the amount of burn-in on the CNN tests already is discouraging at best.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-17-2018, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
Quote:
Yeah, the amount of burn-in on the CNN tests already is discouraging at best.
Haven't seen any indications of burn-in on my C8 with our viewing habits but it's still "young".
post #8 of 8 Old 10-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I currently have the Q9 and a good friend of mine has the C8. The C8 obviously has better contrast and a total lack of blooming, particularly off axis. On axis it's actually quite surprising how well the Q9 holds up and both of them look astonishingly good. With the lights on at night or the curtains open during the day there is no question the Q9 is the better performer. I could be happy with either, but I'd have to configure my room differently depending on which set I had.
plonk likes this.

82Q90R / 75Q9FN / Denon X6400H / Polk Audio LSI 7.1.4 / Nvidia Shield / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BluRay / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Nintendo Switch / Custom Gaming PC / Custom VR PC / HTC Vive Pro HMD (Wireless)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page