Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2018, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
50 Inch TV Recommendations

My in-laws have asked me for a 50" TV recommendation. Unfortunately, they want it to be placed in an existing cabinet in the master bedroom and thus, cannot go larger than 50". They love the image of the LG OLED tvs but the size does not work. Thus, picture quality is very important to them. They're good with spending up to $2,000 for it even though I doubt it will take anywhere near that amount. So, what 50" do you recommend? I guess it should be 4K to future proof them a bit even though they do not have any 4k sources (at this time). It should have a good Smart TV function.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 289
This is a handy list of available models in around that size: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be.../48-49-50-inch
Picture quality ranking is probably: Sony > Samsung > LG from the top picks and Smart feature wise probably the other way around ...

Last edited by mithras1; 10-19-2018 at 03:58 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-19-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
My in-laws have asked me for a 50" TV recommendation. Unfortunately, they want it to be placed in an existing cabinet in the master bedroom and thus, cannot go larger than 50". They love the image of the LG OLED tvs but the size does not work. Thus, picture quality is very important to them. They're good with spending up to $2,000 for it even though I doubt it will take anywhere near that amount. So, what 50" do you recommend? I guess it should be 4K to future proof them a bit even though they do not have any 4k sources (at this time). It should have a good Smart TV function.

Thanks
What was the old TV that was in the cabinet? I found that when I replaced my 50" plasma that the replacement 55" TV was actually the same size due to less border around the screen.

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-19-2018, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post

Thanks
Sony XBR49X900F - the only 120 Hz FALD VA panel set you can get in that size. Nothing better at that size and under budget at $1,100.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-20-2018, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Thanks for the info and recommendations. I suggested they look at the Sony XBR49X900F as a first choice. And, look at the Samsung QN49Q6FN as a second choice.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-20-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Another vote for the Sony 900F. I've had the 900E for over a year and a half and still love this TV.

I don't like the motion handling on Samsung sets. Maybe it's me but it bothers me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page