Vizio P Series Quantum 65" UHD TV Hands-On - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 10-24-2018, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 411 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8565 Post(s)
Liked: 15020
Vizio P Series Quantum 65" UHD TV Hands-On

Update... here is the hands-on post: https://www.avsforum.com/vizio-p65-q...system-review/

-----

Original post

A Vizio P65 Quantum 65" TV has just showed up at my home. Now, this TV has already received the rtings.com review treatment, so I don't have to create any suspense here. This is a great TV that follows the Vizio tradition of pushing the price/performance envelope at around $2100 street price. And it's the company flagship, with a quantum dot filter that kicks up performance a notch while offering a 192-zone FALD (full array local dimming) backlight for enhanced contrast and deeper blacks.

This is a premium flat panel that runs Vizio's SmartCast platform, so it's good to go for all that streaming stuff. It's proven to deliver over 2000 nits peak brightness (with a 10% window or smaller) which allows it to excel at HDR. But it's also able to deliver this peak luminance in SDR, if your application demands it.

Picture quality is the focus here, especially so with the inclusion of Dolby Vision, for an optimized image on an already high-performance screen. And Vizio's are easy to calibrate, so it'll be interesting to find out how close to absolute reference I can get with it.

That's all I've got for now. As you can see, it's sitting on a TV stand, waiting to be unpacked. Underneath, you'll spot an Xbox One X. And flanking it, for audio, a MartinLogan 4.1 speaker system that's running off a NAD T777 AVR.

Unboxing plus initial setup is next, which I'll be working on this afternoon and tomorrow morning. And I'm looking forward to calibrating it this weekend, but like all TVs I get to audition, I want to just run it for a day or two, make sure all the firmware is up to date, sign into a few streaming services, and explore the out of box settings a bit.

----

AVS Forum already has a very robust owners thread for the P Series Quantum (2018) so if you want to jump into the main discussion, follow this link: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...rice-talk.html

If you want to check out the rtings.com review of the Vizio P Series Quantum, follow this link: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vi...series-quantum

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-18-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-24-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 2411 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
@imagic
Congrats. There is already a discussion and calibration thread for this TV.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-24-2018, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skschatzman View Post
@imagic
Congrats. There is already a discussion and calibration thread for this TV.
I'll link to it, and I'll post there too. I know, a bit late to the party lol. Well, I wanted to check it out in person for sure.
ma1746 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 10-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Pretty happy with mine. Tried a q9 and z9d and couldn’t stomach the flaws for the price. This tv has flaws for sure, but is my favorite lcd I’ve had by a large margin. Compares somewhat favorably to my main tv (C8) but the C8 is the better tv overall to my eyes. Although hdr and hdr gaming i prefer on the PQ. I got my PQ in August for $1500, that was a steal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 31 Old 10-24-2018, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
Pretty happy with mine. Tried a q9 and z9d and couldn’t stomach the flaws for the price. This tv has flaws for sure, but is my favorite lcd I’ve had by a large margin. Compares somewhat favorably to my main tv (C8) but the C8 is the better tv overall to my eyes. Although hdr and hdr gaming i prefer on the PQ. I got my PQ in August for $1500, that was a steal.

Oh cool, because for movies I have a home theater projection rig so gaming is the top critical application I have for TVs. Aside from that I watch sports once or twice a week and maybe a show or two on a not so busy week. For LCDs, my focus has been more and more on using high-performance TVs as super-monitors (since that's what I've been doing for years anyhow, but now the latencies are getting really good).
ma1746 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 31 Old 10-24-2018, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Oh cool, because for movies I have a home theater projection rig so gaming is the top critical application I have for TVs. Aside from that I watch sports once or twice a week and maybe a show or two on a not so busy week. For LCDs, my focus has been more and more on using high-performance TVs as super-monitors (since that's what I've been doing for years anyhow, but now the latencies are getting really good).

Definitely interested to hear your thoughts in a few days. It’s strikingly bright and the colors are superb. Motion to my eyes is also very good. Black bars could be a little deeper, I see very occasional color banding and I can notice the fald grid from time to time especially in panning shots on hdr content.

post #7 of 31 Old 10-24-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Definitely interested to hear your thoughts in a few days. It’s strikingly bright and the colors are superb. Motion to my eyes is also very good. Black bars could be a little deeper, I see very occasional color banding and I can notice the fald grid from time to time especially in panning shots on hdr content.

@imagic

I don't agree that motion handling on this TV is good. The TV can't remove Judder from 24p content over a 60hz signal. Also the TV exhibits Judder from content directly streaming through smartcast. The same content is smooth from external sources as long as the signal matches the content frame rate. I tested 2 units that have the same issue.

Please post in the main threads as it gets confusing with multiple threads. Thanks.
post #8 of 31 Old 10-24-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1752 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
@imagic Are you going to use delta-e 2000 or delta-e ICtCp? SDR, HDR10 and DV.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
post #9 of 31 Old 03-14-2019, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
@imagic

I don't agree that motion handling on this TV is good. The TV can't remove Judder from 24p content over a 60hz signal. Also the TV exhibits Judder from content directly streaming through smartcast. The same content is smooth from external sources as long as the signal matches the content frame rate. I tested 2 units that have the same issue.

Please post in the main threads as it gets confusing with multiple threads. Thanks.

OK you found issues with motion, but rtings already found the same issues so really you are confirming what's already observed. Good... is such a flexible term, thank goodness I did not say "great"

I'll be posting here, it's meant to be the comments for a hands-on that never happened. Although the window for a relevant review has obviously closed, I still have the TV paired with a 46" Vizio Atmos soundbar, so I'm gonna do something with it before packing it all up.

What I will not be doing is discuss issues rtings has already measured and reported on, like judder with 24p content over 60 Hz. Having said that, it's always great to see confirmation of issues when available so thank you.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-14-2019 at 02:56 PM.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-14-2019, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:

It's insane to think about but so much happened since when I posted this and today and in all that time I just did not find time to spend with this TV. Or to game. At all. Sad face.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #11 of 31 Old 03-14-2019, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
@imagic Are you going to use delta-e 2000 or delta-e ICtCp? SDR, HDR10 and DV.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
I'm going to point folks to rtings.com for calibration, I'm not taking that approach to this TV.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #12 of 31 Old 03-14-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK you found issues with motion, but rtings already found the same issues so really you are confirming what's already observed. Good... is such a flexible term, thank goodness I did not say "great"

I'll be posting here, it's meant to be the comments for a hands-on that never happened. Although the window for a relevant review has obviously closed, I still have the TV paired with a 46" Vizio Atmos soundbar, so I'm gonna do something with it before packing it all up.

What I will not be doing is discuss issues rtings has already measured and reported on, like judder with 24p content over 60 Hz. Having said that, it's always great to see confirmation of issues when available so thank you.
Actually RTings only talked about 24p over 60hz signal judder. My post is based around the choppy juddery experience when watching native content. More specifically 4k/60FPS content. RTings never talks about those issues.
post #13 of 31 Old 03-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's insane to think about but so much happened since when I posted this and today and in all that time I just did not find time to spend with this TV. Or to game. At all. Sad face.

Sad face is right!

post #14 of 31 Old 03-14-2019, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Actually RTings only talked about 24p over 60hz signal judder. My post is based around the choppy juddery experience when watching native content. More specifically 4k/60FPS content. RTings never talks about those issues.
I still think the word "good" works, it encompasses situations like this where it's not "perfect" or "great".

One thing about reviewing TVs... I do tend to stream from external devices and not the built-in apps.

Anyhow, if you wish to communicate what you observed, perhaps include that info somewhere if you wind up writing a review of this TV. Or perhaps you already have posted it. Either way, cheers!
guacamoleparty likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-14-2019 at 05:30 PM.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I still think the word "good" works, it encompasses situations like this where it's not "perfect" or "great".

One thing about reviewing TVs... I do tend to stream from external devices and not the built-in apps.

Anyhow, if you wish to communicate what you observed, perhaps include that info somewhere if you wind up writing a review of this TV. Or perhaps you already have posted it. Either way, cheers!
To each their own. My perpective of the word "good" differs from yours I guess. I have seen lower end and cheaper TVs that don't have these issues. Maybe it is "good" if we compare this model to ones 5+ years ago, but in today's market it is sub-par compared to other models in the category/price range. No worries though.
post #16 of 31 Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Update... here is the hands-on post: https://www.avsforum.com/vizio-p65-q...system-review/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-18-2019 at 10:07 AM.
post #17 of 31 Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Broken link
imagic likes this.
post #18 of 31 Old 03-18-2019, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Broken link
Thx

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #19 of 31 Old 03-18-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 74
So in order to take advantage of the lowest input lag i would have to use a different hdmi port (port 5)? But that port doesn't do hdr? Did I read that right? Things are getting too complex. I also like to run everything into my receiver and just have 1 hdmi to tv.
post #20 of 31 Old 03-18-2019, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
So in order to take advantage of the lowest input lag i would have to use a different hdmi port (port 5)? But that port doesn't do hdr? Did I read that right? Things are getting too complex. I also like to run everything into my receiver and just have 1 hdmi to tv.
Yeah but it's only for the ultra-fast 1080p 120 Hz mode. You can't even get lag that low if you are not running 120 Hz and you are not gonna get 120 Hz 4K from HDMI 2.0 anyhow. It's a cool feature for hardcore gamers who truly need the low latency and high frame rate above all.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #21 of 31 Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked: 2094
Off topic posts deleted
post #22 of 31 Old 03-25-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 952 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Consumer Reports sure doesn't think much of this Vizio.
post #23 of 31 Old 03-25-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
That makes 'em a bit of an outlier, in that case.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #24 of 31 Old 03-26-2019, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I gave up on Consumer Reports about a year ago. They seem to have their own way of looking at things.

If you read the consumer reviews that accompany the official reviews, they tend toward being pretty damning of many of the CR top choices.
post #25 of 31 Old 03-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 35
so this is brighter than OLED right?

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
post #26 of 31 Old 03-31-2019, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
so this is brighter than OLED right?

Much brighter. Oled peak brightness 800 nits. Vizio P Quantum peak brightness 2400 nits

post #27 of 31 Old 04-01-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Much brighter. Oled peak brightness 800 nits. Vizio P Quantum peak brightness 2400 nits

Be careful. Not all units are the same. Just because one report supports those numbers doesn't mean they will all be that way. The PQ is only rated and advertised to output 2000nits. Also be aware that real scene brightness readings are much lower according to RTings.
post #28 of 31 Old 04-01-2019, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Be careful. Not all units are the same. Just because one report supports those numbers doesn't mean they will all be that way. The PQ is only rated and advertised to output 2000nits. Also be aware that real scene brightness readings are much lower according to RTings.

Whatever the numbers may be, it is certainly brighter than an oled.

post #29 of 31 Old 04-01-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Whatever the numbers may be, it is certainly brighter than an oled.

Yah. I agree
post #30 of 31 Old 04-10-2019, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
lcd tv , p series quantum , Vizio