2018 Samsung SEK-4500 Evolution Kit - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 341Likes

post #1 of 315 Old 10-27-2018, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2626 Post(s)
Liked: 5160
2018 Samsung SEK-4500 Evolution Kit

The SEK-4500 has rolled out to various parts of Europe and other parts of the world including Australia and although we have been able to piece together most of the information Samsung failed to tell consumers in their almost non-existent technical specifications, there are still a couple of items we find mystifying as they relate to HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 required on the TV/OCB/SEK HDMI port that the 2018 SEK-4500 Evolution Kit is hooked up to in order to play ‘real’ 4K HDR protected content from a device such as a UHD Blu-ray for example.

Technical information

Quad Core Processor
Double DVB-T2 / C / S2 tuner with PVR capability
CI slot (v 1.4)
2018 Smart Hub + SmartThings App Supp.
3 HDMI ports QuickSwitch / HDMI CEC (v2.0)
2 USB ports (v2.0)
Bluetooth LE (+ BT Audio)
WiFi support (+ Multiroom link)
LAN 10 / 100Mbps
Optical Audio Out
TV connection via HDMI
VP9.2

Note: Specifications may vary according to country. For example, from what I know some SEKs only include a single tuner or none at all or no PVR capability

Limitations

No ARC
No USB 3.0 port
No DTS Codec
No IR Out port
Does not support UHD Video Pack content
No Component or Composite (A/V) connection outputs

Through testing we have been able to determine that the SEK-4500 supports VP9.2 and have added that to the Technical Specifications above but it does not appear to support HDR10+ or HLG which makes sense since none of the compatible TV's have HDMI 2.0b ports.

And on November 15th, 2018 the SEK-4500 is being advertised on the USA website...

SEK-4500 Evolution Kit
Up until recently there has been much debate whether or not the SEK-4500 connects via HDMI rather than the Evo Kit port on the rear of the TV on some of the various support forums. Although some of us have known this for awhile now, we finally have something in writing from Samsung in the way of a Spec Sheet that puts that matter to rest once and for all where in the small print it says:

Quote:
Compatible with standard Display-Port-to-HDMI type cable (5.5" cable included with kit).
Even that could be misconstrued that they mean the port on the rear of the TV but as we have come to learn by pictures submitted by members, the Display-Port they are referring to is on the SEK-4500, not the Evo Kit Connection port on the rear of the TV.

If you look below here are a couple of pictures of the rear of the new SEK-4500 Evolution Kit where you can see for yourself that the Display-Port end plugs into the SEK-4500 while the HDMI end plugs into the TV, One Connect Box, or existing Evolution Kit where applicable.

Rear of SEK-4500

Closeup of Display-Port (EVK Connect) on SEK-4500

Comparison with past One Connect Boxes and the SEK-3500 Evolution Kit

We have put together a matrix comparing the original One Connect Box included with the 2014 HU9000, the original One Connect Box included with the 2015 JS series, the 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution Kit, and the 2018 SEK-4500 Evolution Kit. You can view the current version in this post...

OCB & SEK Comparisons - Latest Version
Important: Without the SEK-3500, other than the 2015 series, the HDMI ports on the list of compatible TVs were only HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 1.4 which were not capable of HDR as it requires HDMI 2.0a. To add to that only 1 port on the 2014 HU series was HDCP 2.2 compliant which happens to be the HDMI(MHL) port which Samsung's instructions tell you not to use when hooking up the SEK-4500.

If you are interested in learning more about the 2015 SEK-3500 (which is similar in design to the original One Connect Box delivered with the 2015 JS series) as it relates to HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 click the spoiler tag below...

Spoiler!

HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2

Here is the most definitive article I could find on the subject of HDMI that includes the quote that follows:

What is HDMI 2.0b?
Quote:
What's more, every piece in your AV chain needs HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 for it to work. So if you have an HDMI 2.0 4K player and an HDMI 2.0 TV, but an older HDMI 1.4 soundbar or AV receiver in between… you're out of luck.

Version 2.0a was a small update, adding support for high dynamic range (HDR).

So if I were to rewrite that same quote from the perspective of HDR here is how it would read:

Quote:
What's more, every piece in your AV chain needs HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 for it to work to obtain HDR. So if you have an HDMI 2.0a 4K player and an HDMI 2.0a SEK-4500, but an older HDMI 2.0 TV/OCB/SEK at the end… no HDR for you!
Here is a table from that article. If you run your eyeball down the column titled HDR you will see that you need HDMI 2.0a to support High Dynamic Range (HDR) as well as Wide Color Gamut (WCG).

Search the internet for "HDMI 2.0a" and you can find quite a few articles including an article from Wikipedia that will tell you that "HDMI 2.0a was released on April 8, 2015, and added support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) video with static metadata" or this one that concludes with the following statement:

What is HDMI 2.0a?
Quote:
If a source device wants to send a 4K signal to an earlier device that doesn’t support HDMI 2.0a, the picture size will be negotiated down to something the older device can handle, or won’t be displayed at all.

Here is a quote from an AVS Forum member who I would consider one of the most knowledgeable when it come to HDR which agrees with what many of us pioneers on the 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution thread were saying behind the scenes who weighed in as follows:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
And If the F9000 or HU series dont have a sek3500, then the Sek4500 won't give you hdr either.

So if Warren is looking for hdr support, he won't get it since his existing hdmi ports aren't HDR capable.
Bottom Line: It's not only the fact that the new SEK-4500 supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2, equally important is that the older TV/OCB/SEK you are connecting it to must also support HDMI 2.0a (required for HDR) and HDCP 2.2 (required to watch 4K copy protected content). In other words unless you are connecting the SEK-4500 to a 2015 JS series or a 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution Kit it won’t produce ‘real’ HDR because none of the Samsung TVs created before 2015 supported HDMI 2.0a because it hadn’t been invented yet! In a similar manner if the HDMI port you plug the SEK-4500 into doesn't support HDCP 2.2 there can be no assurance that the 4K picture isn't being converted to 1080p.

HDMI - False Positives

What we have discovered is that the SEK-4500 will trigger "false positives" if it is connected to a TV, One Connect Box, or past Evolution Kit that does not support HDMI 2.0a. What this means is that it will give the appearance that it is outputting HDR by maxing out the Backlight & Contrast but that wouldn't be possible unless the SEK-4500 is plugged into a TV/OCB/SEK that supports HDMI 2.0a required for HDR.

Only a few TVs on Samsung's list of compatible TVs support HDMI 2.0a and according to CNET those were Samsung's SUHD TV's which didn't arrive until 2015. As a result Samsung introduced the 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution Kit which upgraded the ports on compatible TVs to HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 amongst other things.

One of our testers has the 2014 SEK-2500 Evolution Kit that did not support HDMI 2.0a connected to his F9000 so how is this possible...

UBD-K8500 (HDMI 2.0a) ==> SEK4500 (HDMI 2.0a) ==> SEK2500 (HDMI 2.0) ==> TV

...which maxes out the Backlight and Contrast giving the appearance that the TV is receiving HDR?

As discussed in the previous section all devices from source to “sink” must support HDMI 2.0a to pass HDR. Has Samsung discovered a method to magically change the HDMI ports in the 2014 SEK-2500 Evolution Kit to HDMI 2.0a via software? If so then why did I need to buy a 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution Kit for my flagship 2014 HU9000 to get HDMI 2.0a when Samsung said it was not possible to upgrade our TVs via firmware? As a matter of fact the instruction manual for the SEK-4500 makes no mention of having to do a software update on the TV/OCB/SEK you are hooking it up and spcifically states “When connecting this product to your existing UHD TV, you do not need to run the UHD Evolution Kit Backup function (MENU > System > UHD Evolution Kit Backup) on the existing UHD TV“ like we have had to do in the past when hooking up an Evolution Kit.

HDCP 2.2 - Mystery

Another can of worms is the fact that Step 3 in the SEK-4500's installation instructions says "Do not connect to either an HDMI (ARC) or HDMI (MHL) port" yet the only port that supports HDCP on the 2014 models (without the benefit of a 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution Kit) is the HDMI (MHL) port according to the HDMI Connection page so again, just like the conversation we had regarding HDMI 2.0a where we discussed an end-to-end "chain", how is it possible to watch High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) content on that TV if the SEK-4500 is plugged into an HDMI port that doesn't supports HDCP?

According to this article titled Meet HDCP 2.2 it states "While DRM (digital rights management) encrypts the content itself, HCDP secures the cable between the source and the “sink”—the TV, monitor, or the video projector that display the content." and goes onto say "In order to watch copy-protected Ultra HD content--be it on a disc, a download, or via an over-the-top stream—you’ll need HDCP 2.2 compatible devices at every link in the signal chain.". Further to that as this FAQ for the SEK-3500 will tell you, otherwise “the picture will just be sent through in HD” if a port doesn’t support HDCP.

And just to avoid a bunch of guessing games, yes I am aware of the HDFury discussed in post 124 I would prefer to avoid guessing games where a member suggested that "this box is considered as part of TV, so Samsung probably get certification for it as an end point" to which I responded to in post 129, I think the onus is on Samsung to tell us is the HDCP 2.2 content being "stripped" or is it being dumbed down to HD by the device feeding the SEK-4500 which is normally the case when a device is plugged into an HDMI port that doesn't support HDCP 2.2.

HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 - Trickery!

Just to make damn sure we didn’t receive a software update along the way that had magically upgraded the HDMI ports to HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 on our pre-2015 TV/OCB/SEK I ran some extensive tests on my HU7000 in this illustrated post:

HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 - Trickery!
I try my best to explain what Samsung might be doing to make it “appear” that owners of pre-2014 are viewing 4K HDR protected content when in fact I don’t believe they are for a couple of reasons:

1. None of the HDMI ports on the pre-2015 TV/OCB/SEK are HDMI 2.0a which is required for HDR

2. Only one HDMI port on the 2014 sets is HDCP 2.2 compliant and that is the one marked HDMI(MHL) which the SEK-4500 installation instructions specifically tell you NOT to use

Review

Here is a link to the only known English speaking review at flatpanelhd posted on their site in September, 2018…

Samsung launches 2018 Evolution Kit following customer complaints
Unfortunately the reviewer never laid their hands on a unit and is still “chasing details”!

Pictures

I have included some thumbnails below of an actual SEK-4500/XC from a member in Finland who ended up returning it.

But hold on to your hats guys, although it has been reported you can't use your old remote take a look at what happens when you do!

I have coined this the Dual O/S since instead of having only 3 ports you end up having the use of the ports on the SEK Evo Kit or the original One Connect Box you plugged the new SEK-4500 into!

You can find more pictures of the first owner on this thread meeting his new SEK-4500 for the first time (who kept it rather than returning it) by checking out Post 54.

Installation

Unlike past Evolution Kits like the SEK-2500, the SEK-3500 , or the original One Connect Boxes provided with flagship models, the new SEK-4500 does not use the One Connect port on the TV. Rather it plugs into an HDMI port on the back of the TV using a cable that plugs into the EVK Connect port on the SEK-4500. Unfortunately for owners of flagship TVs like the JS9500 or HU9000 or F9000 for example that don't come equipped with HDMI ports on the back of the TV this means you need to plug the SEK-4500 into the original One Connect Kit as pictured below....

But you won't find any mention of that in the installation manual nor will you find out how Samsung outputs a picture when connected to a device that doesn't support HDMI 2.0a or HDCP 2.2 but you will find some wiggle words on the page titled "03 Limitations on Evolution Kit Installations" including these:

• The actual performance may vary depending on the model specifications and hardware performance.
  • The Evolution Kit may not support some apps and functions that were available on the Samsung TV.
  • The Evolution Kit outputs pictures in the optimal resolution of the Samsung TV it is connected to.

Manuals

Installation Manual - Samsung Evolution Kit SEK-4500
English, Danish, French, German, Norwegian, Portugese, Spanish, Swedish

User Manual - Samsung Evolution Kit SEK-4500
English

Support Websites

Samsung - Visit Your Country or Region

The following are translated links to some of Samsung Support Community websites where the release of the SEK-4500 has occurred or is imminent...

Samsung Support - Italy

Samsung Support - France

Samsung Support - Germany

Samsung Support - United Kingdom

If anyone has direct links to the Samsung Community forums in Spain, Norway, Denmark, and Finland I would appreciate the links as these would probably have the most to offer since, from what I recall, these were the first to receive the rollout.

General Forums

And here are a couple of translated links to forums that have sprung up that might be of interest...

HIFI-FORUM.de in Germany

Whirlpool in Australia

Logitech Remote

And here is a link to the Logitech Remote thread requesting codes for the SEK-4500 where one owner has described it as follows...

Logitech Remote thread

Quote:
sek 4500 is more like a media player certainly not a evolutionary kit. (which is annoying).. no where near a upgrade kit as hardware is dependant on our older SEK model we connect it too. (ie my sek2500 is not hdmi 2.0a so no HDR for me.) .

It doesn't replace the old SEK and its just an addition, so for me I just get tizen 4.0 and new software features.

The manual states do not use ARC as this device does not support it. hence we do not use HDMI 4. The device itself is more like a overlay on top of our old one connect box. you can have sources on the sek 2500 and sek 4500 up at the same time (using 2 remotes).

I personally have a F9000 with sek 2500 that works great with harmony. My new sek 4500 is connected to the NON arc port on the sek 2500 as it has to connect to your existing evo kit (just like a bluray player etc would).

I'm also hanging out to get this added so I can control everything via one remote.

Batesy

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

This is all we know so far so I encourage you to do your homework by spending some time reading this thread especially post #2 that includes the Comparision Chart. I would also urge you to review some of the posts on various forums and reviews on Samsung’s international sites and you will find that generally speaking the SEK-4500 hasn’t been well received for a variety of reasons — most notably when guys learned that it doesn’y use the Evo Kit port in the back of the TV and needs to connect to an HDMI port... which for most supported TVs would be a port that does not support HDMI 2.0a or HDCP 2.2.

Before investing in a new Evolution Kit that may in fact be a step backwards for some of us who already own the 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution Kit or the original One Connect Box provided with the 2015 JS series and have other equipment such as a Chromecast Ultra or a 4K Computer that brings us the necessary VP9.2 codec required for YouTube 4K HDR for example. One of my favourite devices which has almost entirely replaced the Smart Hub is the addition of an Apple TV 4K with over 8,000 apps (compared to less than 350 available on Smart Hub) and access to a ton of 4k content including current 4K HDR movies that can be rented for as little as 99 cents! It even includes a Gigabit Ethernet port!

And if it turns out that you would need to own both an 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution Kit and a 2018 SEK-4500 to obtain real HDR to overcome the 'false positives' and the HDCP 2.2 mystery then that money might be better spent on a future replacement of your TV to obtain a panel that offers more features and brighter NITS to take advantage of High Dynamic Range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SEK-4500 XC - Rear.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	2474398   Click image for larger version

Name:	SEK 4500 XC - Rear EVK Connect.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2474400   Click image for larger version

Name:	SEK-4500 XC - Label.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2474402   Click image for larger version

Name:	POS-4500.jpg
Views:	5300
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	2474438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tizen - Dual OS.jpg
Views:	3152
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	2482652  

Name:	9BC192F3-D4F2-41F0-B821-2EDC65B7BB33.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2532624   Click image for larger version

Name:	01310D80-35F9-4195-B9D1-93349802EEF4.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	2532626  

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 02-28-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 315 Old 10-27-2018, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OCB & SEK Comparison Sheet - Version 3.0 updated on December 3, 2018

We have prepared a matrix comparing the original One Connect Box included with the 2014 HU9000, the original One Connect Box included with the 2015 JS series, the 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution Kit, and the 2018 SEK-4500 Evolution Kit.

Just like the first post in this thread, the Comparison Sheet will be updated as required.

Lessons Learned

One big lesson learned during the creation of the Comparison Chart is that attaching an SEK-4500 to your TV adds a lot more complexity because not only do you have to familiarize yourself with a new manual and device but you have to retain knowledge of the TV/OCB/SEK it’s plugged into. Some things may have changed (e.g. TV Connection Method)… while others may no longer apply (e.g. lack of DTS codec; no more ARC)... some things might have been reduced (e.g. only 3 HDMI ports; only 2 USB ports because USB 3.0 has been removed)... some things may have disappeared (e.g. Component and Composite outputs; Support for UHD Video Pack; IR Extender Port)... while some aren’t documented (e.g. ability to use HDMI and USB ports on the OCB/SEK that the SEK-4500 is plugged into though these ports do not get upgraded so they are what they were)... while others may need to be controlled using the old remote and Menu settings (e.g. Picture Settings and Sound Settings)... and some operational issues are just plain bizarre like receiving ‘false positives’ when playing HDR content if the SEK-4500 is plugged into a port that doesn't support HDMI 2.0a or the mystery surrounding how the SEK-4500 can be plugged into an HDMI port that doesn't support HDCP 2.2 and give the appearance that it is playing 4K protected content when this would not be possible without either downscaling the native 4K content to 1080p or systematically dodging those protections — see post #1 for more info.

Disclaimer

While we have done our best to be as accurate as we can, the following document is in no way a replacement for your own testing and reading up on the manuals that come with the SEK-4500 and the TV/OCB/SEK it is plugged into along with the compatible features supported by your TV model and panel. A number of sites are listed in the post above that can also be useful to obtain knowledge from others who have purchased the SEK-4500 or have returned theirs for various reasons.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OCB & SEK Comparisons - Version 3.00.pdf (602.7 KB, 679 views)
shoek likes this.

Last edited by Musician; 12-03-2018 at 01:49 AM.
post #3 of 315 Old 10-27-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 3976 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
If the SEK-4500 is essentially an over priced HDMI switch, I can't see this making any headway towards what owners of older TVs are really wanting.

I guess the clue was in the fact the Lan port was still a miserable 100 Mbps, instead of a Gigabyte, allowing faster 4K streaming.
As Musician has stated, we're low on facts, and no current owners have put forth what is contained in the manual spec wise.
brotony and Musician like this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 315 Old 10-27-2018, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
If the SEK-4500 is essentially an over priced HDMI switch, I can't see this making any headway towards what owners of older TVs are really wanting.

I guess the clue was in the fact the Lan port was still a miserable 100 Mbps, instead of a Gigabyte, allowing faster 4K streaming.

As Musician has stated, we're low on facts, and no current owners have put forth what is contained in the manual spec wise.
I think the key word here is "if". I would submit it is more than an over priced HDMI switch especially if it provides HDR10+ and VP9.2 which would require new circuitry, chips, and compatible HDMI 2.0b ports if the new Evo Kit is intended to support Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG).

For more on that...

What is HDMI 2.0b?

Just to preface this discussion we have one member who thinks that if the SEK-4500 doesn't provide the functionality he is looking for on a compatible TV that he might be able to plug it into his kids "old" plasma not appearing in the compatible list of 2012-2015 Samsung TVs.

If anyone from one of the markets the SEK-4500 has been rolled out to has tried plugging it into a non-compatible TV and has an answer for him it would be great if they could provide it here.

My guess is it won't work. It's not like we don't have experience with that on the SEK-3500 thread where if the Evolution Kit is not supported on the TV it is hooked up to an error message appears (see thumbnail below).

If guys are looking for a HDMI switch they can be had for hundreds of dollars less than an SEK-4500. Add an Apple TV to the mix and the kids have one of the best interfaces out there and access to countless apps that I would argue are much better than those appearing on Samsung's Smart Hub not to mention all the content available on iTunes! As an added bonus the latest Apple TV 4K brings back the Gigabit Ethernet port! For those that are interested here is a link that includes the technical specs:

Apple TV 4K

Edit: Not only that there are over 2,000,000 iOS apps with 8,000 of those compatible with the Apple TV according to the latest figures. For comparison I counted the number of apps currently available on my SEK-3500. Drum roll — less than 350.

Cheers and thanks for being the first poster on the new thread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Not Supported.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	2474494  
poppagene and brotony like this.

Last edited by Musician; 10-28-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Added apps statistical figures
post #5 of 315 Old 10-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Will be interesting WHY Samsung included a 1080P Plasma TV as being upgrade-able with this unit ?
Unfortunately the SEK-4500 Label does not contain the BN #. This is usually a white sticker on the bottom of the unit. Anyone ?

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
post #6 of 315 Old 10-27-2018, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm wondering..... If I didn't have a SEK-3500 to my F9005 but only the original One Connect Box. That one does not support 4K, nor 10bit through the HDMI inputs. Would you then be able to get that by upgrading to a SEK-4500?

UE55F9005 - SEK-3500U/ZG
OPPO UDP-205EU
ROTEL RB980 + RB985 poweramps
MKSound 750 Series speakers + 2 V1250 subs
post #7 of 315 Old 10-27-2018, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Wow. This is crazy. I wonder what features could possibly be added to my HU8550 and JS8500/JS9000 sets with such a box. It seems that if it is limited to HDMI then it is really only a streaming interface with Samsungs sub-par OS.

If it could add newer features to the sets then it might be interesting, but as an interface for apps and as a switcher it will most definitely be an underpowered and overpriced option compared to ATV4K and the latest ROKUs.

Samsung 55" JS8500, 48" JS9000, 65" HU8550, 46" ES7100, 55" D8000 (RIP)

I Like Digital!
post #8 of 315 Old 10-27-2018, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THXTEX1 View Post
I'm wondering..... If I didn't have a SEK-3500 to my F9005 but only the original One Connect Box. That one does not support 4K, nor 10bit through the HDMI inputs. Would you then be able to get that by upgrading to a SEK-4500?
Since your TV is advertised as 4K I can see no reason why the original One Connect Box wouldn’t support 4K.

Since the SEK-3500 is compatible with your TV and brought you all the new features to your 4K F9005 (e.g. HDMI 2.0a; HDCP 2.2) to all ports as well as VP9 for 4K YouTube then I would expect that the new SEK-4500 shouldn’t be a step backwards.

To put it differently, for owners of an 2014 HUxxxx who decided to skip the purchase of the SEK-3500 and wait it out until the introduction of the SEK-4500 I would anticipate they would receive all the features of both.

But obviously since the new Evo Kit is compatible with some 1080p Samsung TVs, no Evo Kit is going to change the characteristics of the panel (e.g. Resolution; Bit Depth). On that note before this turns into the “what is the bit depth of my TV thread”, oh looky here, it already exists...

Samsung Panel Version Thread

If the information guys are looking for can’t be found on that thread I would suggest they visit the thread for their specific model number.

Cheers!
poppagene and galonzo like this.

Last edited by Musician; 10-28-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Typo
post #9 of 315 Old 10-28-2018, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

What are purchasers saying?

Due to the fact the SEK-4500 was rolled out to so many non-English speaking sites there is really no single source of information out there but I have read and translated some of the reviews on the various foreign Samsung websites and seen nothing better than a 1 out of 5 as of this writing. Here are a few from Norway...

Quote:
New System

I bought this to replace the Evolution Kit 3500 that came with the TV JS9505. But it didn't. One has to connect the Evolution Kit 4500 through Evolution Kit 3500.
Quote:
Just another box

Thought this should be integrated with tv to replace menus and smart hub. It does not. This is just another box to be connected to, Very disappointed!
Quote:
Miserable

Bought it to replace SEK-3500 on a HU7505, was incredibly disappointed, nothing else is an external box with Tizen to connect an HDMI port
In addition to that, @THXTEX1 posted a link to some comments on a thread on flatpanels.dk ran through the translator that includes a list of the bugs being reported by owners as follows:

• Smart Control can not turn on TV. IR eye on TV responds.
  • Smart Control expires and only works periodically (channel change, volume, etc.)
  • Screenshot freezes with a blank "TV guide"
  • Box lights up in the same error time after time - for example, frozen on channel 18 without ever picture. All functions are frozen and you can only pull the plug.
  • The graphical audio adjustment wheel on the left side of the screen is not the Titzen, but the original, as the SEK-4500 is only running as an HDMI box.
  • Timer function where TV reminds of program, fails and does not come with messages.
  • When you select "Remind me" about a program, it writes that it annulles something else scheduled - even if nothing is planned.
  • Timeshift believes it's turned on, even if you're out of time shift. Coming as a mistake if you watch live TV and try to access the wizard.
  • Apple TV 4K runs in muted / gray shades when running through SEK-4500. Works 100% on other TV.
  • Each time you exit the wizard, to return to TV, the "Home Menu" pops up, so press "Return" to watch the TV you came from.
  • The "Home Menu" appears on the screen each time the TV is switched on.
  • SEK-4500 loses signal / goes black and can not be switched on / off, so it works again. Only by taking power can you get a picture again.
  • Contract. etc, etc.

Request to Members: Considering the number of different TV models between 2012 - 2015 that the SEK-4500 is compatible with, to avoid any confusion could you please do us all a favour and update your profile and provide us with the country you live in which will then appear below your Avatar on all your posts.

To make this easy on you, click the following link and scroll down until you see Additional Information and find the Location field where you can enter where you live...

User CP > Your Profile > Edit Your Details

Not only that an Evolution Kit developed for one market may not work in a different country. For example, the boxes being rolled out in Norway and other parts of Europe are called the SEK-4500/XC whereas the ones in Australia and New Zealand are called the SEK-4500/XY.

Something else many members also do is update their profiles to include a Signature listing the TV and other equipment they own which will appear at the bottom of each of their posts which can be helpful when trying to obtain help because we have learned that the SEK-4500 may exhibit "false positves" for example when plugged into certain TVs, OCBs, or SEKs.

To make that easy on you click the following link...

User CP > Settings & Options > Edit Signature

We found this information especially helpful in the SEK-3500 thread that grew to some 20,000+ posts as it to was marketed worldwide and could be installed on a number of different models. The SEK-4500, even more models!

Thank you for your cooperation.
poppagene, galonzo and Walky like this.

Last edited by Musician; 11-19-2018 at 03:11 AM.
post #10 of 315 Old 10-28-2018, 12:04 PM

Maybe Samsung gave the programming of the SEK-4500 to the apprentice programmers?

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #11 of 315 Old 10-28-2018, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Will be interesting WHY Samsung included a 1080P Plasma TV as being upgrade-able with this unit ?
Unfortunately the SEK-4500 Label does not contain the BN #. This is usually a white sticker on the bottom of the unit. Anyone ?
The PNxxE7000 and PNxxE8000 plasma TVs were compatible with the same evolution kit as the UNxxES8000, and the UNxxES7500.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000

Last edited by poppagene; 10-29-2018 at 04:41 AM.
post #12 of 315 Old 11-06-2018, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

SEK-4500 Release in the USA Next Week ?

Let the rumours and misinformation begin!

According to posts on REDDIT. You might want to pay special attention to those posted by Raul Espino who says he is a Samsung dealer in the USA...

Quote:
RehabWOlf

Hello, I have a TV UN75HU8500F and I am interested in buy a SEK-4500 evolution kit; do it will be available in USA or Mexico? If so, when? Thank you!

Quote:
RaulEspino • 5d

The Samsung SEK-4500 will be available in the US around the second week of November 2018.

Quote:
RehabWOlf • 5d

Thank you very much!

Quote:
RehabWOlf • 5d

And do someone knows if one have to daisy chain the SEK-4500 with the 3500 in order to get the newest update working?

Quote:
RaulEspino • 5d

The new evolution kit will replace the old evolution kit completely. The 3500 will not be necessary.

Quote:
RehabWOlf • 5d

Wow!! Perfect! And thanks a lot for your response!

Quote:
sidjohn1 • 5d

The 1 star european reviews seam to contradict this... what is your source of information?

Quote:
RaulEspino • 5d

I am a Samsung dealer in the USA. I have been waiting for this product since before it’s announcement and have contacts within the manufacturer. This will likely be the final evolution kit covering the original Samsung UHD TVs. And it should be officially available within the website in the middle of November.

Quote:
sidjohn1 • 5d

Well let’s hope google translated three separate reviews wrong

https://www.samsung.com/dk/tv-access...-kit-sek-4500/
https://www.samsung.com/no/tv-access...-kit-sek-4500/
Unless the Evolution Kit being introduced in North America has been radically changed, based on everything we know from actual owners in Europe and those being sold in other parts of the world Raul Espino’s “contacts within the manufacturer” are misleading when they say “The new evolution kit will replace the old evolution kit completely.”.

While I guess technically it could be argued that the SEK-3500 (2015 Evolution Kit) won’t be necessary, the original One Connect Box that came with flagship models sure as heck will be needed since those models don’t have HDMI ports in the rear of the TV.

Assignment America

Since I live in Canada and our phone calls to 1-800-SAMSUNG get routed to Samsung Support in Canada maybe some of you brave owners in the USA might want to give them a call and hear what they have to say. Better yet do a chat so you can get a transcript.

I would be especially interested in hearing what they have to say about connecting it to the HU9000 and JS9500 and perhaps some of those answers regarding techical specifications that haven’t appeared anywhere like does it support HDR10+ or VP9.2 or HLG and HDMI 2.0b.

I would also have one more question for them that’s puzzling me. In the case of the HUxxxx series, since we needed HDMI 2.0a to support HDR10 (which only became possible by upgrading to the SEK-3500) how is it possible to pass HDMI 2.0a (or HDMI 2.0b if that’s included) if we are now plugging the new SEK-4500 into an HDMI 2.0 plain jane port on the back of the TV (or into an OCB) and neither of those could be updated via firmware? For example, if I plug my UHD Blu-ray Player into an HDMI port in the back of my HU7000 no amount of magic is going to give me HDR10.

And who will ever forget the kerfuffle regarding the Novatek chips which to this day is still being discussed on the OFFICIAL Samsung 4k HU8550 and HU9000 thread regarding it’s inability to cope with 2160p 4:4:4 at 60 Hz? Is that a thing of the past if some will be plugging this thing into ports on the back of one the sets that came equipped with that chipset?

I am afraid that until some knowledgeable member who knows how to put the SEK-4500 through it’s paces decides to pull the trigger and buy one of these things we are really never going to know what we have to gain... or more importantly, what do we have to lose which so far includes our USB 3.0 port, ARC, and an HDMI port apparently!!!
poppagene, galonzo and Walky like this.

Last edited by Musician; 11-06-2018 at 03:32 AM.
post #13 of 315 Old 11-06-2018, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
[*]As for VP9.2 this is required for the scarce number of HDR videos available on YouTube (who have chosen to use their own proprietary codec)
Wait what? H264 and AAC are the patent encumbered and proprietary codecs here, not VP9. AAC in particular is ridiculously expensive to license. Please don't spread this FUD.

References: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9 - "VP9 is an open and royalty-free[1] video coding format developed by Google."
post #14 of 315 Old 11-06-2018, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettern View Post
Wait what? H264 and AAC are the patent encumbered and proprietary codecs here, not VP9. AAC in particular is ridiculously expensive to license. Please don't spread this FUD.

References: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9 - "VP9 is an open and royalty-free[1] video coding format developed by Google."
FUD: Fear, uncertainty and doubt

So many acronyms used on AVS Forum. Sure glad I didn’t rely on the definition provided in the Urban Dictionary!

You are correct, “proprietary codec” was a bad choice of words when describing VP9 but as for spreading FUD then let me make myself perfectly clear — without support for VP9.2 a device is incapable of displaying YouTube 4K HDR videos from the Smart Hub app without them being dumbed down to 4K if your TV only supports VP9 or 1080p if it doesn’t support anything greater than VP8.

The primary point I was trying to make on this thread is there are a lot of cheaper solutions in the market place now (e.g. Chromecast Ultra and others) so no need to run out and buy an SEK-4500 just to get 4K YouTube in HDR... if in fact the SEK-4500 does end up supporting VP9.2 which I would expect but at any rate this information should be included on Samsung’s website!

I have changed that portion of my post accordingly which now reads:

Quote:
  • While the original VP8 codec only supports up to 1080p, the VP9 included in the SEK-3500 and JS9500 One Connect Box supports YouTube 4K from the Smart Hub app but now you need VP9.2 (aka VP9 Profile 2) to view the limited number of YouTube 4K HDR videos as a result of Google choosing to use their own codecs to display 4K content rather than one of those supported on the 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution Kit and TV lineup like other apps use such as Netflix and Amazon Prime.
I have attached a table of the Supported video codecs available on the 2015 SEK-3500 Evolution Kit below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BBA0A193-91F1-4E1B-904E-C4F6A8E54047.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2478910  
poppagene likes this.

Last edited by Musician; 11-06-2018 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Modified bullet in original post
post #15 of 315 Old 11-06-2018, 07:45 AM

A few more reviews

Note: in the views, the rear view has been deleted? The lower down view is almost impossible to see what's there. Still no REAL specs!

UN65KS9800 - Mine

Last edited by p5browne; 11-06-2018 at 07:49 AM.
post #16 of 315 Old 11-06-2018, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Note: in the views, the rear view has been deleted?

The rear views have never been provided by Samsung on their websites.

Those rear view photos in the first post on this thread are from this post in the SEK-3500 thread which were provided by @milw0rm in Europe who puchased it and returned it after learning from Samsung that he would have to daisy chain it with his original One Connect Box.

After seeing your edited post I took a screen capture of the “lower down view” from Samsung’s site and lightened it up. Just another photo of the front...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9627C3C2-F177-46FE-8C08-E47E26720E22.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	2478646  
poppagene likes this.

Last edited by Musician; 11-06-2018 at 08:08 AM.
post #17 of 315 Old 11-06-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
The rear views have never been provided by Samsung on their websites.

Those rear view photos in the first post on this thread are from this post in the SEK-3500 thread which were provided by @milw0rm in Europe who puchased it and returned it after learning from Samsung that he would have to daisy chain it with his original One Connect Box.

After seeing your edited post I took a screen capture of the “lower down view” from Samsung’s site and lightened it up. Just another photo of the front...
My apologies - a Senior's moment.

Further down the page - they show external connections, but only the Lan port can be seen. (In multiple languages.)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=samsu...xUDWUQwg4IKygA

And here they call it a D8000: (Couldn't follow this one through. My XP and Google wouldn't allow me to go there.) Scam site, deleted.
Musician likes this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine

Last edited by p5browne; 11-07-2018 at 11:40 AM.
post #18 of 315 Old 11-06-2018, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My apologies - a Senior's moment.

Further down the page - they show external connections, but only the Lan port can be seen (In multiple languages.)...
Ahh, those pictures which I have always considered a little confusing especially where they say the following on their English language Australian website above the picture:

Quote:
One Remote Control

Easily control connected devices and content with the One Remote Control. Convenient Auto Detection automatically connects and labels connected devices. Easy to find, easy to use, and just one remote control.³
I originally thought, wow, the new Evolution Kit allows us to connect more than 4 HDMI sources since the picture only showed one HDMI port...

Then after seeing the pictures posted by an actual owner showing 3 HDMI inputs I came to the realization that Samsung picture shown from the front since we can see the logo facing us is more the conceptual equivalent of a motor manufacturer using gerbils to represent how their engine works!

I suspect that since the image shows TV (which is coax) and only 3 devices (Cable Box; Blu-ray Player; Game Console) then the likelihood of more than 3 HDMI inputs is slim to none!

Although the existing SEK-3500 Samsung Universal Remote controls many brands of Receivers as follows...

• Samsung
  • Bose
  • Denon
  • Harman/Kardon
  • Insignia
  • JVC
  • LG
  • Marantz
  • Onkyo
  • Panasonic
  • Philips
  • Pioneer
  • RCA
  • Sony
  • Yamaha
...according to the SEK-4500’s One Remote Control list of supported devices only 2011 and onwards Home Theatre Systems from the following manufacturers are supported...

• Samsung
  • Sony
  • LG
  • Philips
  • Panasonic
Not for me to tell guys how to hook up their systems nor do I want to get involved but here is what my interface looks like:

SOURCES

SMART HUB

When set up through the Universal Remote feature when the MENU/123 button is pressed it brings up a customized banner of options to control the selected SOURCE as well as a subset of commands applicable to the connected Receiver.

I have been able to control all my devices using the remote that came with my SEK-3500 (but chose to use the one provided by my Cable Provider for our Set Top Boxes) without ever needing to reach for my Marantz remote for my Receiver. Not so great considering they have dropped support for all the popular Receivers!

For guys that think we could all be running all our stuff through our Receivers that doesn’t work for those of us who don’t own a fairly modern AVR that provides 4K HDMI 2.0a — which has already been replaced with HDMI 2.0b and HDMI 2.1 coming soon — with HDCP 2.2 pass-through. I have attached a copy of my wiring diagram for anyone who is interested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67055301-3A32-4A9D-913D-EFFD44BF0912.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	2478774  

Last edited by Musician; 11-06-2018 at 03:02 PM.
post #19 of 315 Old 11-06-2018, 09:29 PM

Oh, by the way

The 299 Euros for the SEK-4500, today, is equal to $342.52 US and $449.09 CA.
A fair chunk of change, for very little improvement, but lots of wiring hassles!

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #20 of 315 Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh by the way

The 299 Euros for the SEK-4500, today, is equal to $342.52 US and $449.09 CA.
A fair chunk of change, for very little improvement, but lots of wiring hassles!
Oh you’re being too kind. From what I have seen so far and the complete lack of guys in Europe posting anything here or elsewhere telling us what Features, Upgrades, and Improvements they are witnessing other than Tizen like we were all doing when the SEK-3500 came out then I question what is motivating them to go out and spend 299 Euros — for what?

On the other hand based on the 1 and 2 star reviews it seems most people aren’t too thrilled and we have seen reports from AVS members that they have returned theirs!

Meanwhile they are queueing up like Lemmings in Australia as per the following forum where they are just beginning to hit the streets. Note that the first post is a cut and paste of the flatpanels.com review...

Samsung Long Term Evolution SEK-4500 2018

One guy by the name of the.king.of.melbourne even received his “for no charge” and said he would “update you all shortly!”. That was over a week ago. Maybe he was so disenchanted he is trying to see if he can get a refund on his FREE Evolution Kit, ha, ha!

Last edited by Musician; 11-06-2018 at 11:20 PM.
post #21 of 315 Old 11-07-2018, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
My Sek-4500 is sat waiting at a friends house in Norway. I should get it the end of next week when he comes to the UK. I'll try and post back with what I find and hopefully answer some questions.
post #22 of 315 Old 11-07-2018, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm curious if using this box will also result in losing DTS support, since the equivalant OCB of the current flagships does not support DTS anymore.
post #23 of 315 Old 11-07-2018, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Good morning all

You may recall that I wrote a post yesterday that began as follows:

Quote:
SEK-4500 Release in the USA Next Week ?

Let the rumours and misinformation begin!

According to posts on REDDIT. You might want to pay special attention to those posted by Raul Espino who says he is a Samsung dealer in the USA...
Well in the span of less than a day my prediction came true.

Here are the latest posts...
Quote:
mongo1337 20 hours ago

even for the JS9000, JS9500? I read that for these TVs, you have to use the old box because they don't have HDMI directly on the TVs.
...where once again Paul Espino, the dealer in the USA who has yet to see one has responded to this post as follows...
Quote:
RaulEspino 11 hours ago

These units use a OneLink Cable. Not hdmi... the same port on the JS.
He might very well be right but that contradicts every single post and review I have read to date as it relates to any of the supported models that don't have HDMI ports on the rear of the television.

Here is a description of the connectivity provided by the member who provided the rear view pictures in post 1 on this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by milw0rm View Post

...in the manual manual of the SEK-4500 it says that it should be connected to a HDMI port on the tv, the F9005 model do not have a HDMI port on the back, all inputs are on the SEK-3500 box.

The EVK Connect cable has 2 different connectors [ends], one is a match for the EVK Port and in the other end its just a regular HDMI.
...and here is confirmation by another member as follows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOFFE_NO View Post
I live in Norway and have the 78JS9005. Ordered the SEK4500 as soon as it was in stock from samsung.no. Recieved the unit last friday and returned it the next monday. I can confirm that the pictures is correct. The new SEK4500 is not a one connect box. It has to be connected to one of the HDMI inputs on the SEK3500. The new SEK4500 need a separate powersupply. It has only 3 HDMI inputs. The cosmetics in the menu and smartTV dosen’t justify the price for this box and the extra clutter in my tv bench . I don’t use the smart tv solution from Samsung anyway. Apple TV 4K does the job a million times better.
This SEK4500 is an epic failure from Samsung!
So all of a sudden the USA is getting a SEK-4500 that hooks up the same way we are used to?

I expect that would piss off our European and Australian owners if that were the case!!!

This is the problem when Samsung fails to provide anything in the way of documentation, specifications or pictures on their website other than some artist rendering that tells us nothing!

Any crazy volunteers today to phone Samsung USA at 1-800-SAMSUNG or start a Chat and see wazzaap?!!

Last edited by Musician; 11-07-2018 at 09:40 AM.
post #24 of 315 Old 11-07-2018, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhunterx View Post
My Sek-4500 is sat waiting at a friends house in Norway. I should get it the end of next week when he comes to the UK. I'll try and post back with what I find and hopefully answer some questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurEver View Post
I'm curious if using this box will also result in losing DTS support, since the equivalant OCB of the current flagships does not support DTS anymore.

OCB & SEK Comparisons

Hello @cityhunterx and as you can see the questions are already pouring in! Although it sounds like I am being sarcastic I am really not because this thread started as a result of all the mystery surrounding the new 2018 SEK-4500 Evolution Kit over on the SEK-3500 thread.

I have begun to put together a couple of documents as follows...

• OCB & SEK Comparisons
  • To Be Determined
...so we can keep track of what we know and more so, what we don't know which is quite a bit.

I am after answers to all the yellow shaded boxes that say "Unknown" in the first document as well as answers to those in the To Be Determined document where I included some suggested test scripts for how someone might go about testing the feature to see if the SEK-4500 supports it.

Also if you could post some screen shots and pictures and stuff like this cable that has two different ends on it that would be great!!!

I hope other owners can jump in and assist you because the more the merrier and it doesn't hurt to get some second opinions or answers from guys who might own a UHD device capable of HDR10+ or what have you! Also another set of eyes doesn't hurt in case I misunderstood something included in the attached documents.

Once we have added some clarity to these unknowns I will add this information to the first post in this thread and remove some of the clutter from that post and move it to the second post I reserved in this thread if need be.

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OCB & SEK Comparisons.pdf (421.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: pdf To Be Determined.pdf (390.1 KB, 80 views)
poppagene, galonzo and bOFFE_NO like this.

post #25 of 315 Old 11-08-2018, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

THOMAS ELECTRONIC, an online store in Germany is selling the SEK-4500 and if what they are reporting is true it pretty much provides most of the answers we have been waiting for and leads me to believe this vendor would rather maintain their integrity and credibility than sell these to unsuspecting customers and upset them and face a bunch of returns like we have been seeing.

What follows is a translation of the WICHTIGES ZUR FUNKTIONALITÄT and Funktionsumfang des neuen SEK – 4500 Evolution Kits section headings. I have used red font to highlight some of the stuff that jumped out at me and I couldn't help notice that they used double exclamation marks that the Anynet + HDMI-CEC does not apply to A/V receivers ...

Quote:
IMPORTANT TO FUNCTIONALITY

Please note that the new Evolution Kit SEK - 4500 provides a pure software update and NO reworked hardware components.

In addition, it is NOT guaranteed that on older series after the installation of the SEK 4500 still all old apps / functions are working properly. In addition, the Evolution Kit comes with the new Smart Remote from Samsung - this must be used from now on.

In addition, the new Evolution Kit provides the following connections:

• 3x HDMI
  • 2x USB
  • 1x audio output optically
  • 1x CI + slot

Features of the new SEK - 4500 Evolution Kit

With the new Evolution Kit, the software of your old Samsung TV is brought up to date. You get (if not already available on your old TV) the support of the movie mode and Natural Mode. You get the latest Smart Hub, SmartThing's support with App, TV Plus and the new voice control.

In addition, you can now transfer the current image to your mobile device, get the 360 ° video player (with 360 ° camera support), Bluetooth Low Energy, Wireless and Wired TV On, and WiFi Direct.

If not yet available on your Samsung TV, you will receive the following new features:

• Quad-core processor for fast operation
  • ConnectShare (HDD and USB)
  • Picture-in-Picture
  • Recording function via USB (PVR)
  • Time-Shift
  • TVkey support
  • Anynet + HDMI-CEC (ATTENTION: does not apply to AV receivers !!)
  • HDCP 2.2 support
  • HEVC support
  • Sky Q support
  • Dolby Audio support
I suspect that just like the SEK-3500 marketed in North America, ours will be lacking the PVR and time shift capabilities since it only had a Coax input (not the CI slots and Sky Q support) which for most of us is probably no big deal. With that in mind I really don't see anything in that list that we don't already have on the SEK-3500 and JS series original One Connect Box but I still would like to see confirmed answers to fill in the unknowsn on the comparison sheet in the post above.

I also have a feeling that @pilotart wouldn't have been happy buying one of these and learning that he had to give up his "egg remote"!

OK, hang on to your undies -- Thomas Electronic Online Store even has a copy of the user manual on their website:

Samsung Evolution Kit SEK-4500

OK, it's in German but what did you expect!

post #26 of 315 Old 11-08-2018, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

We were called trolls!

My last post on this thread for the night...and hopefully getting close to my last since I have no intentions of buying this piece of rubbish!

My whole point of starting this thread was at the request of a couple of members on the SEK-3500 thread and the JS9500 thread who were probably getting tired of the discussion on those threads. I think perhaps this thread is getting read more by Europeans where the box has rolled out rather than North America where many of us probably already own the SEK-3500 -- which brought us a ton of features, benefits and improvements -- or already have the original One Connect Box that came out with the JS series in the same year and see no real advantages to upgrading either.

On a funny note I see on the HIFI-FORUM.DE thread in Germany (translated for your convenience) that somebody posted a link (in post 45) to this thread as follows...

Quote:
According to some English and Danish forums, the SEK-4500 is probably no longer connected to the OCB port of the TV, but to one of the HDMI ports ...
For owners of the JS series, whose connections are so completely in the OCB, that would mean, one would have to connect the SEK-4500 to the OCB!

So 2 boxes, more cables, an additional occupied HDMI more ..... does not sound really tempting ....

Source: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...ution-kit.html
...and after a couple of guys chiming in that it was "wrong information" and "synonymous with nonsense" he replied (in post 49)...

Quote:
Ok, then I suppose I fell for some English trolls. I'm sorry, I did not want to unsettle anyone.
But immediately following (in post 50) he was corrected when a guy responded...

Quote:
Hello,
The connection of the new "Evolution Kit's" actually takes place via HDMI directly on the monitor!
With my HU8590 s.derigem no HDMI connection is available.
I would have to connect the new box so s.der old - via HDMI - .....

The information I have received on request from Thomas Elektronic and also the manual in PDF available!
It also states that ARC, MHL, HDMI-CEC and " possibly certain apps and features available on Samsung TVs " are not supported ....

Have my order canceled now...
So once again when it comes to the Evolution Kits AVS Forum is recognized worldwide as the source of mostly accurate information!

Don't worry, I will be hanging in there to complete the comparison worksheet!

Last edited by Musician; 11-08-2018 at 09:50 PM.
post #27 of 315 Old 11-08-2018, 09:20 PM

Did some one mention that the people that came up with this SEK-4500 craziness, have since been let go ?
Probably a fire sale in about 6 months to get rid of all the returns, and product left in inventory once the word gets out.
Samsung, most people read Forums before plunking down good money for a supposed actual upgrade, and finding it's NOT!
pilotart likes this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
post #28 of 315 Old 11-09-2018, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OCB & SEK Comparison - Version 1.1

Based on the fact only 1 member 'Liked' my earlier post ( thanks @galonzo ) I have reworked the OCB & SEK Comparison matrix by adding more line items. I think I have them all covered now as space permits! I have also combined the To Be Determined items into the same PDF file as a separate page to save bandwidth and my time updating the document. Also, please keep in mind that this is not a replacement for the [sparse] manual and the list of features [lacking] on Samsung's website.

Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post is that since the 2015 SEK-3500 and the original 2015 One Connect Box that came with the JS series share the same features and firmware version, the second color coded column would apply to both.

Without further ado, please see the attached PDF...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OCB & SEK Comparisons - Version 1.1.pdf (432.8 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Musician; 11-09-2018 at 08:22 PM.
post #29 of 315 Old 11-09-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Cool My still Favorite Old 'egg' shaped Remote!

Quote:
<....>I also have a feeling that @pilotart wouldn't have been happy buying one of these
and learning that he had to give up his "egg remote"!
<....>
@Musician We all (and i'm sure that includes most European members) thank you
for your brilliant and through work in finding, translating and posting all this information.

Since TV robs too much of my time now, I've no desire to improve anything.

Still having and enjoying my HU8550 kept me from trying its 'egg' remote with JS9000.

Could be done though, since HU8550 also came with the 'Hershey Bar' remote.

The reason I didn't was my greatest dissatisfaction with JS9000 Remote is lack of
'instant' access to the Picture/Sound/System page menu as well as 'sleep' timer, CC etc..

It looked to me like the 'egg' with dedicated buttons for those items would simply use
them to open the JS9000's "MENU/123" list and I'd still have
all those extra steps to complete first. But I guess I should try it. .

At least they gave me that "SOURCE" button, my DVR+ also has a TV source
dedicated button but it only moves source selection left-to-right and has no
(TV) "enter" button, you just have to wait for the selection's activation.

Art
p5browne and Musician like this.
post #30 of 315 Old 11-09-2018, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Ive been in touch with some resellers in Australia and they intimated that it would hit this week. Last update for stock was 4pm yesterday 09/11/2018 but yet to hear whether it actually arrived or not.

Waiting to see what type of update it will give my F9000 (2013) and or my JS9000 (2015). According to the doco I should be able to update both of them. Will see whether i want another one after it arrives.

Will post info as soon as I get it. However I never managed to get the SEK-3500 for my F9000 and nothing was said by Samsung saying needed one to effectively use the SEK-4500.

Warren
galonzo, batesdw and Brendo. like this.

Last edited by wazh; 11-10-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page