Lg sk9000 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By erikcave
  • 1 Post By Jim Munir

post #1 of 20 Old 12-01-2018, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Lg sk9000 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

I open the topic
I have this TV.
It's a good TV for gaming, Sport...
For HDR content did you suggest turn on or off the dynamic tone mapping? Or dinamic contrast? The input lag increase?

Inviato dal mio BLA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-18-2018, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 65
How bad are the dark corners?
post #3 of 20 Old 12-19-2018, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by febiuzz View Post
I open the topic
I have this TV.
It's a good TV for gaming, Sport...
For HDR content did you suggest turn on or off the dynamic tone mapping? Or dinamic contrast? The input lag increase?

For HDR leave those settings alone....
What Is your goal for hdr, brightness? Black levels? What are you trying to achieve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-19-2018, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Your opinion on the SK9000 so far

I am interested in your overall opinion on how the SK9000 has performed for you during your ownership? I have a bright room and somewhat wider viewing angles, so I am strongly considering this set.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-19-2018, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
For HDR leave those settings alone....

What Is your goal for hdr, brightness? Black levels? What are you trying to achieve
Good Black with the maximum brightness possible

post #6 of 20 Old 12-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Good Black with the maximum brightness possible

That means increase contrast, local dimming, backlighting.....
post #7 of 20 Old 12-19-2018, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraflexed View Post
That means increase contrast, local dimming, backlighting.....
Do you have some settings for this TV?

post #8 of 20 Old 12-20-2018, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you have some settings for this TV?

I owned 3 4k lg's but yours is the only one that does fall so the setting may be different from mine
post #9 of 20 Old 12-26-2018, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got this TV because having a wide viewing angle is a must have for me and OLED high price+scare of burn in make OLED not an option. However, I have two problems:

Content in HDR is quite bad. Black crush is really bad and fixing washes out the rest of the screen In HDR mode, Standard mode looks great, HDR is terrible. Gamma is not adjustable for any picture setting in HDR mode. which is what I usually change to fix this. I have put Blade Runner 2049 in my standard blu ray player and the 4k version in my Xbox One X in HDR and played them back to back. It actually looks better with my standard Blu Ray Player.

The other problem is with "Black Glow" in HDR mode. I don't know if this is the right term, but it i the time when I can kind of see the back light through the black areas of the screen. I have tried turning the back light down, but it persists and is way worse that SD mode. I had to turn off local dimming because it was just too distracting to me. I saw the halo effect all the time and hated it.

I am hoping there is some setting or something that I have overlooked causing all of this. If not the TV will have to go back. I appreciate any advice/input on this.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-26-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcave View Post
I got this TV because having a wide viewing angle is a must have for me and OLED high price+scare of burn in make OLED not an option. However, I have two problems:

Content in HDR is quite bad. Black crush is really bad and fixing washes out the rest of the screen In HDR mode, Standard mode looks great, HDR is terrible. Gamma is not adjustable for any picture setting in HDR mode. which is what I usually change to fix this. I have put Blade Runner 2049 in my standard blu ray player and the 4k version in my Xbox One X in HDR and played them back to back. It actually looks better with my standard Blu Ray Player.

The other problem is with "Black Glow" in HDR mode. I don't know if this is the right term, but it i the time when I can kind of see the back light through the black areas of the screen. I have tried turning the back light down, but it persists and is way worse that SD mode. I had to turn off local dimming because it was just too distracting to me. I saw the halo effect all the time and hated it.

I am hoping there is some setting or something that I have overlooked causing all of this. If not the TV will have to go back. I appreciate any advice/input on this.
Even Vizio and TCL allows us to with gamma. Why LG?

Does the panel still look nice without local dimming? I'm really looking for an ok IPS panel.

I was leaning towards this LG and missed my chance on the $ 900 tax free 65 inch X850F. That doesn't have local dimming but gets almost as bright as LG thus shouldn't have blooming issues. It'll probably have more clouding though since it doesn't have that local dimming. Sony seems to allow global dimming to be turned off in their setting (Advanced contrast).

Does your SK9000 have global dimming issues (looks like auto brightness fluctuation) even if local dimming is turned off?
post #11 of 20 Old 12-27-2018, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I am hoping there is some setting or something that I have overlooked causing all of this. If not the TV will have to go back. .
Buy and OLED.
Or Sony Xf900 more dimming zones, Better dimming algorithm

post #12 of 20 Old 12-27-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:

It's anecdotal but the X900F has a decent viewing angle compared to Viz P65, Sam Q6, TCL R6, if you can check in the store, you can personally eyeball it and it's noticeable as I've tried it. You'll have to downgrade in size though.

Do let me know if you try the X850F IPS.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-27-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
It's anecdotal but the X900F has a decent viewing angle compared to Viz P65, Sam Q6, TCL R6, if you can check in the store, you can personally eyeball it and it's noticeable as I've tried it. You'll have to downgrade in size though.

Do let me know if you try the X850F IPS.
That is interesting. I was initially very interested in the X900F, but got scared away by rtings saying it has poor viewing angles. I actually bought a P65 and returned it because the off angle viewing was so bad. I will look into the Sony some more.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-27-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Buy and OLED.
Or Sony Xf900 more dimming zones, Better dimming algorithm

I actually did try an OLED and the picture was amazing. I saw some image retention which really scared me. It was temporary, as in it went away after some regular TV viewing. If I could find a really good deal on an OLED I would reconsider it.

The X900F would be my first choice except that rtings says it has poor viewing angles. My last TV was a Sony and I really liked it. Another cementer says the X900F has better viewing angles than other VA panels so I may try it again.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-27-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
Even Vizio and TCL allows us to with gamma. Why LG?

Does the panel still look nice without local dimming? I'm really looking for an ok IPS panel.

I was leaning towards this LG and missed my chance on the $ 900 tax free 65 inch X850F. That doesn't have local dimming but gets almost as bright as LG thus shouldn't have blooming issues. It'll probably have more clouding though since it doesn't have that local dimming. Sony seems to allow global dimming to be turned off in their setting (Advanced contrast).

Does your SK9000 have global dimming issues (looks like auto brightness fluctuation) even if local dimming is turned off?
The gamma thing is weird. I was like, "huh, I black crush. I will just adjust the gamma. What? It is grayed out? How am I suppose to make the picture look good?" I know from experience that the LG OLED tv's do allow gamma adjustment in HDR modes.

With local dimming off it looks pretty good in standard mode, though broadcast TV isn't so great. Blu rays and video games look good. It is just in HDR that I am having problems. It just looks bad and I don't know what to do about it.

I can handle a little blooming, but with local dimming turned on I could clearly see the "zones" turn on and off in dark content. it was super distracting.
tubers likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-27-2018, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Or TCL R617 fald.

post #17 of 20 Old 12-27-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The gamma thing is weird. I was like, "huh, I black crush. I will just adjust the gamma. What? It is grayed out? How am I suppose to make the picture look good?" I know from experience that the LG OLED tv's do allow gamma adjustment in HDR modes.

With local dimming off it looks pretty good in standard mode, though broadcast TV isn't so great. Blu rays and video games look good. It is just in HDR that I am having problems. It just looks bad and I don't know what to do about it.

I can handle a little blooming, but with local dimming turned on I could clearly see the "zones" turn on and off in dark content. it was super distracting.
Thanks. I guess I'll avoid this set for now unless I can get the 55 inch for 600, 65 for 800, SK9500 for 900.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-31-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Can you turn off HDR in netflix?

Have you tried a factory reset or contacted LG? If lucky, maybe they can patch that.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
LG sk9000 help needed

I have a dark dark room for my lg 65sk9000 and the blacks DO look grey and worse when there is a back blackground and white letters IE credits. The white bleeds over. All whites bleed over in the background. Anyway to fix this? Its awfuland I would hate to return this. I cant really find any tv that beats my old plasma 720p. I had a samsung 7100 but it had a lot of motion blur. Anyone know of a good tv for a dark room thats 4k and supports dolby vision and is under 1500 bucks???
tubers likes this.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-29-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Munir View Post
I have a dark dark room for my lg 65sk9000 and the blacks DO look grey and worse when there is a back blackground and white letters IE credits. The white bleeds over. All whites bleed over in the background. Anyway to fix this? Its awfuland I would hate to return this. I cant really find any tv that beats my old plasma 720p. I had a samsung 7100 but it had a lot of motion blur. Anyone know of a good tv for a dark room thats 4k and supports dolby vision and is under 1500 bucks???
you can ask in this thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...cd-thread.html

Many higher end TVs except oled will have blooming specially even a few inches off center.

Closest to Plasma will be OLED. There are many sales of C8 and E8 recently. Go to slickdeals tv section. OLED will not produce any blooming and great viewing angles close to plasma but will have some tint if you go off center specially with whites. You may have to babysit your oled depending on your tv use.

Most people recommend X900F for LCD for great upscaling and support for dv and hdr (I think dv on X900F is wonky though).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page