2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 273Likes

post #301 of 737 Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Here are my Cinepro settings for Netflix 4k and Basic TV.
Depending on the movie or show I either use my custom or cinepro settings.

Netflix
Picture Mode: Cinepro
Auto picture Mode: off
Brightness: 11
Color: 65
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 11
Contrast: 86
Gamma: -0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: high
Contrast optimizer: high
Auto Local Dimming: high
X-tended Dynamic Range: off

-- Color sub menu
Color: 65
Hue: 0
Color temperature: expert1
Live Color: off

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Auto
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: off

Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: custom: smoothness max and clearness min
CineMotion: off

-- Video options sub-menu
HDR mode: Auto
HDMI video range: Auto
Color space: Auto

BASIC TV
Picture Mode: Cinepro
Auto picture Mode: off
Brightness: 15
Color: 55-60
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Brightness: 15
Contrast: 86
Gamma: -2
Black level: 50
Black adjust: high
Contrast optimizer: high
Auto Local Dimming: high
X-tended Dynamic Range: off

-- Color sub menu
Color: 55-60
Hue: 0
Color temperature: warm
Live Color: med

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Auto
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: off

Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: custom: smoothness max and clearness min
CineMotion: off

-- Video options sub-menu
HDR mode: Auto
HDMI video range: Auto
Color space: Auto

Last edited by wallyesquire; 02-12-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 737 Old 02-11-2019, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 546
I’m actually surprised how easy it was to get a great picture out of the box. In fact, I don’t remember a tv ever looking this good so easy. I’m using CaptinCrunch’s settings on my 85” with a few minor tweaks and the picture is just stunning. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 4K bluray last night and had to peel my jaw off the floor afterward.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Samsung 82” Q90R * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro

Last edited by BRAC; 02-11-2019 at 04:22 AM.
post #303 of 737 Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I tried about 4 or 5 different recommended settings posted on here over the weekend and ended up sticking with rtings. I didn't use the 10 point settings this time and I think that made the difference. It seems like, on my set, every time I try CinePro the colors look over saturated. I'm happy with the slight changes rtings recommends.

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 737 Old 02-11-2019, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joske_01 View Post
When watching transformers or avengers, i get a good screen and good colors. But when putting for example it on expert1, the movie looks more like a 90' movie ? The colors don't pop.

For just watching regular tv (series) with our decoder it's all on standard because in Belgium it's 720p..

Would love the feedback what to change on my settings above. Remember Netflix is standard, no 4k and watching bluray the same. So i guess no HDR or Dolby Vision for me yet.
Something to keep in mind is that the Transformers movies all use odd color palettes with mostly orange and teal grading; and in general, as much as I love them all, with the exceptions of the Guardians films and Thor Ragnarok, the Marvel films all have the most drab, muted color palettes of our modern era

Here's a video detailing how a majority of them have such poor contrast:

One of the trickiest things about calibrating a TV to your liking is accepting that not all sources are the same. This has become especially hard with modern movie sources. I also like colors that pop, but mostly want the image to be accurate to the original intentions. For the most part this means wanting bold blues and greens, but also hoping for accurate skin tones. Modern movies and tv shows make such extensive use of post production color grading that it's REALLY difficult to trust any single one as a barometer for good color. In a lot of cases boring sitcoms can be the best bet, because they don't try to adjust the colors to set the mood, or project a time setting. However, TV shows can also be a crapshoot, as if you watch a cooking show, or talk show.. you can notice that even just cutting from one camera to the next, the colors and brightness completely change.

My recommendation is to use a few animated films to get your colors really popping, since you can easily see if you've got it dialed too high, with bleeding reds. Then move on to some tv shows that you are familiar with to further adjust for any skin tone issues you may or may not have. Good luck!
post #305 of 737 Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought Black Panther had great color as well.

post #306 of 737 Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I thought Black Panther had great color as well.
Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 look awesome for color. As for the Transformers series, yes they do have weird color palettes that push way to much orange.

Sony's have always been great with natural color long as you dial in the greyscale.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
post #307 of 737 Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
Black Panther, Thor Ragnarok, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 look awesome for color. As for the Transformers series, yes they do have weird color palettes that push way to much orange.

Sony's have always been great with natural color long as you dial in the greyscale.
Yes, this is true. In general Marvel has upped their game here in the last year. Infinity War is also a much better looking film than either Age of Ultron or Civil War. I've only seen Ant Man & The Wasp once, and it's setting is a little more pedestrian, so I don't recall how the image was on that film. Fingers crossed Captain Marvel will look spectacular in HDR as well!
post #308 of 737 Old 02-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 32
how do I return the 10-point settings to default values. I tried the "Reset" option in the picture settings (right under video options) but that doesn't reset them it seems.

Sony XBR-85X900F & XBR-85X850D | BenQ W1070 | Sony XBR-60LX900 | Denon X4200W & X3200W | Infinity Primus PC351, P363s, P163s
post #309 of 737 Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

The opening scene of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is like a color test, absolutely awesome on this set..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #310 of 737 Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had this TV for quite a while. I received my introduction into the Sony brand when the 900E came out (everything before was LG). The 900E received some damage due to a stray bullet coming through my window, which then allowed me to upgrade to the 900F. That being said, I've always had my sets color temp on expert 1, both on the 900E & now on my F series.

I was just wondering, is there any difference between Expert 1 & Expert 2? I honestly can't see any difference in color like you can when switching from warm to expert 1. Does the color temp change? Is expert 1 6000K & expert 2 6500K, or whatever the industry specs are?

I wish the color temp was just as noticeable as the different tone mapping that happens when switching between cinema pro & cinema home (even with the same settings for both). I personally only use Cinema Pro for blu-rays as the tone mapping is best for that format, & Cinema Home for everything else such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Plex etc etc (even HDR gaming). It's been my experience that you lose a tiny bit of detail when using Cinema Pro on anything other than blu-rays, especially HDR gaming. I noticed that I gained more detail using Cinema Home when playing Horizon Zero Dawn among others, & if you use Cinema Home on blu-rays you lose the details that Cinema Pro brings out. I don't understand the science behind why this happens, other than it just does.

But when it comes to color & expert 1 vs expert 2, I can't see any difference regardless of the content I'm watching, & the format in which I'm watching or playing.

Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
post #311 of 737 Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:

The orange/blue thing is dumb movie people following some "rule" in their "this is how you are supposed to color grade movies" book. The rule says you should always contrast your main color with the opposite color on the vectorscope. I also hate the generic yellow/green tint they put on almost everything as well, makes shadows green and sky teal...

https://news.avclub.com/here-s-why-v...eal-1798276248

As for Expert 1 and 2, these are simply BLANK 10 point options, which you can add your own mix. They are warmer than warm, meaning closer to 6500k than warm, but still slightly cooler than D65. Expert 1 and 2 when left all 0's will produce exactly the same white balance and look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreMarceaux View Post
I've had this TV for quite a while. I received my introduction into the Sony brand when the 900E came out (everything before was LG). The 900E received some damage due to a stray bullet coming through my window, which then allowed me to upgrade to the 900F. That being said, I've always had my sets color temp on expert 1, both on the 900E & now on my F series.

I was just wondering, is there any difference between Expert 1 & Expert 2? I honestly can't see any difference in color like you can when switching from warm to expert 1. Does the color temp change? Is expert 1 6000K & expert 2 6500K, or whatever the industry specs are?

I wish the color temp was just as noticeable as the different tone mapping that happens when switching between cinema pro & cinema home (even with the same settings for both). I personally only use Cinema Pro for blu-rays as the tone mapping is best for that format, & Cinema Home for everything else such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Plex etc etc (even HDR gaming). It's been my experience that you lose a tiny bit of detail when using Cinema Pro on anything other than blu-rays, especially HDR gaming. I noticed that I gained more detail using Cinema Home when playing Horizon Zero Dawn among others, & if you use Cinema Home on blu-rays you lose the details that Cinema Pro brings out. I don't understand the science behind why this happens, other than it just does.

But when it comes to color & expert 1 vs expert 2, I can't see any difference regardless of the content I'm watching, & the format in which I'm watching or playing.

Any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #312 of 737 Old 02-12-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Sony 75” X900F settings **NOTE** these settings with Medialight Quad 6500K Bias Lighting (20/30% for movies, 30/40% for Antenna) work best for my set alone and may not work for you.

Panel impressions – "VERY" little DSE (Modernwize DSE Hockey test), uniformity is great, zero banding even in live fast panning shots (NFL/NHL), Slight dark areas in the corners this is not noticeable in normal viewing of content. Youtube has a lot of great 4K video content I used after calibration for visual inspection.

Connected devices – Denon X4400H via ARC, Roku Ultra, Sony X800 via Denon
Firmware version Latest 2-21-19 OREO update.

**Updated 2-8-19** This is my current settings that I'm using for everything, antenna HD, Blu-ray, Streaming internal/Roku.

These settings net an accurate natural image with vibrant colors, deep blacks, excellent contrast, and smooth motion. Until I can put a meter on my set and fine tune the 10pt, this is as close to reference I can get. **See Pics on page 9/10**

**If you are running through an AVR make sure ALL video enhancements/Picture modes are set to OFF!!**

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro

Auto Picture Mode - AUTO
Light sensor – off
Brightness – 9 (Max HDR) (12 Antenna/Streaming)
Contrast – 93 (Max for HDR)
Gamma – -1 (0 for HDR)
Black Level – 50
Black Adjustment - off
Adv. Contrast – off
Auto Local Dimming – High
X-tended Dynamic Range – Off for both SDR & HDR

Color – 50
Hue – 0
Color Temp – Expert 1
Live Color – off

Advance Color Temperature (updated using new 2pt only)

R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: -5
B-Gain: -3
R-Bias: -2
G-Bias: -3
B-Bias: -1

Sharpness 56 (54 for HDMI/Streaming)
Reality Creation – off (Manual 25 for HDMI/Streaming)
Random Noise – off
Digital Noise – off (OTA HD/cable - Low)
Smooth Gradation – Off

Motionflow – preference (Custom - Smooth 4 Clearness 1) (True Cinema for DV/HDR)
Cinemotion – off (low/med for DV/HDR)

Video Options – All set to AUTO (bt2020)

**Bias Lighting**

Adding the 6500K bias lighting has improved the perceived contrast of the image, and helps maintain the black levels of the bars in Blu-ray content. For HDR content the contrast is improved, and the black bars are much better with blooming (little to none) with my settings.

If your interested in adding bias lighting I recommend you looking at the Medialight products, or other bias lighting that's 6500K. Color lighting is more for atmosphere/mood vibe than it is for actually improving your tv viewing experience. IMO [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
these settings look good on my TV @CaptinCrunch . I'm wondering about the "Auto Picture Mode" recommendation for "AUTO". I usually see this recommended as "Off", but not sure how it behaves, so I assume auto is ok.

Sony XBR-85X900F & XBR-85X850D | BenQ W1070 | Sony XBR-60LX900 | Denon X4200W & X3200W | Infinity Primus PC351, P363s, P163s
post #313 of 737 Old 02-13-2019, 03:01 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Sony 75” X900F settings **NOTE** these settings with Medialight Quad 6500K Bias Lighting (20/30% for movies, 30/40% for Antenna) work best for my set alone and may not work for you.

Panel impressions – "VERY" little DSE (Modernwize DSE Hockey test), uniformity is great, zero banding even in live fast panning shots (NFL/NHL), Slight dark areas in the corners this is not noticeable in normal viewing of content. Youtube has a lot of great 4K video content I used after calibration for visual inspection.

Connected devices – Denon X4400H via ARC, Roku Ultra, Sony X800 via Denon
Firmware version Latest 2-21-19 OREO update.

**Updated 2-8-19** This is my current settings that I'm using for everything, antenna HD, Blu-ray, Streaming internal/Roku.

These settings net an accurate natural image with vibrant colors, deep blacks, excellent contrast, and smooth motion. Until I can put a meter on my set and fine tune the 10pt, this is as close to reference I can get. **See Pics on page 9/10**

**If you are running through an AVR make sure ALL video enhancements/Picture modes are set to OFF!!**

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro

Auto Picture Mode - AUTO
Light sensor – off
Brightness – 9 (Max HDR) (12 Antenna/Streaming)
Contrast – 93 (Max for HDR)
Gamma – -1 (0 for HDR)
Black Level – 50
Black Adjustment - off
Adv. Contrast – off
Auto Local Dimming – High
X-tended Dynamic Range – Off for both SDR & HDR

Color – 50
Hue – 0
Color Temp – Expert 1
Live Color – off

Advance Color Temperature (updated using new 2pt only)

R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: -5
B-Gain: -3
R-Bias: -2
G-Bias: -3
B-Bias: -1

Sharpness 56 (54 for HDMI/Streaming)
Reality Creation – off (Manual 25 for HDMI/Streaming)
Random Noise – off
Digital Noise – off (OTA HD/cable - Low)
Smooth Gradation – Off

Motionflow – preference (Custom - Smooth 4 Clearness 1) (True Cinema for DV/HDR)
Cinemotion – off (low/med for DV/HDR)

Video Options – All set to AUTO (bt2020)

**Bias Lighting**

Adding the 6500K bias lighting has improved the perceived contrast of the image, and helps maintain the black levels of the bars in Blu-ray content. For HDR content the contrast is improved, and the black bars are much better with blooming (little to none) with my settings.

If your interested in adding bias lighting I recommend you looking at the Medialight products, or other bias lighting that's 6500K. Color lighting is more for atmosphere/mood vibe than it is for actually improving your tv viewing experience. IMO [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Hi there cap,
I applied your settings to my panel since I have the 75incher as well. Its amazing! I also purchased the Medialight bias lighting too, and set it around 30-35% (6500k). It really works in tricking your eyes in the perception of blacks and contrast. awesome as well. I do have some questions though. I've been watching youtube HDR samples from the yt app on my Sony UD700, which has been pretty good.
...is there a way to dial up the reds for just a little more punch?
....how about the greens? just need a tad more green...
..for motion, in most situations its quite smooth...when I was watching the batman max demo, where the plane gets hijacked in midair, the plane zooms across the screen, but I do see some not-so-smooth panning...

although my old panny was very good in its own way, this new 4K Sony..the viewing experience has been EPIC! my wife and I are totally awed by the HDR stuff...literally a window to the world in my living room!
thank you!
post #314 of 737 Old 02-13-2019, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

@mooshoodragon

If your wanting to punch up colors across the board you can use Live Color to your liking, or just bump up the Color setting.

You can also use Cinema Home/Expert2 with the same settings as Pro/Expert1 and play around without messing with the other.

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
post #315 of 737 Old 02-13-2019, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So I did get full pixel to work with 1080i output but since I’m going native what should I set my 720p output to? It only gives me options for -1, +1 or normal. Or, should I just set my TiVo to output everything at 1080i.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #316 of 737 Old 02-13-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@CaptinCrunch

Do you apply those ACT 2pt settings to DV as well?

post #317 of 737 Old 02-14-2019, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
So I did get full pixel to work with 1080i output but since I’m going native what should I set my 720p output to? It only gives me options for -1, +1 or normal. Or, should I just set my TiVo to output everything at 1080i.

I'd like to know the answer to the TiVo settings as well. Right now, I have it set at Auto. (I'd like to avoid checking all of the output possibilities because then it will stutter between channel changes - which will drive everyone else in my home crazy.) Should I just check 1080i?
jtrippe likes this.
post #318 of 737 Old 02-14-2019, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post

Normal is equal to Full Pixel, for TiVo I would try both and see which looks better
jtrippe likes this.

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
post #319 of 737 Old 02-14-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
@CaptinCrunch

Do you apply those ACT 2pt settings to DV as well?

Sorry...bumping this question from yesterday.

Also, I tried to access the full pixel settings and that whole page is grayed out and unavailable for the cable signal I’m feeding the 900F. It’s probably a setting in the cable box that needs to be changed. I know the resolution setting in the cable box is supposed to auto adjust to the best match with the connected tv. At least that is what I was told.

post #320 of 737 Old 02-14-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Normal is equal to Full Pixel, for TiVo I would try both and see which looks better
With my DirecTV box (all of my other inputs are at 1080p or higher, and defaulted to Full Pixel), Normal for both 1080i and 720p was slightly zoomed in. May I ask, what benefit would there be to NOT changing these to full pixel (-1 on 720p), which clearly zooms out to show the entire image in the frame on screen? Especially at these lower resolution compressed images, why would I want to give the TV LESS pixels to work with for upscaling? Does 720p not cleanly scale up to the 4k resolution of this tv, so a slight crop works better? Especially on the (still many) 720p channels, it seems the image was sharper, but the fact that it's a default setting gives me pause. I can tell that this is slightly purposeful on the case of the DirecTV box, since there is now an abundance of empty extra space on the sides of the UI elements, such as the guide.. however, if a channel is broadcasting a 720p resolution signal, why would DirecTV think that I want to lose some of that image?
jtrippe likes this.
post #321 of 737 Old 02-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafffster View Post
With my DirecTV box (all of my other inputs are at 1080p or higher, and defaulted to Full Pixel), Normal for both 1080i and 720p was slightly zoomed in. May I ask, what benefit would there be to NOT changing these to full pixel (-1 on 720p), which clearly zooms out to show the entire image in the frame on screen? Especially at these lower resolution compressed images, why would I want to give the TV LESS pixels to work with for upscaling? Does 720p not cleanly scale up to the 4k resolution of this tv, so a slight crop works better? Especially on the (still many) 720p channels, it seems the image was sharper, but the fact that it's a default setting gives me pause. I can tell that this is slightly purposeful on the case of the DirecTV box, since there is now an abundance of empty extra space on the sides of the UI elements, such as the guide.. however, if a channel is broadcasting a 720p resolution signal, why would DirecTV think that I want to lose some of that image?
I'm anti-cable so I know little about how cable boxes output their signals. When I switch to HDMI-3 which is my X800 4K player, regardless of the disk being DVD or Blu-ray +1 zooms in, -1 zooms out the image, and Normal is Normal meaning Full Pixel with the black bars.

I would output on the DTV box with whatever works best, Hell I would just cut the cord and use the streaming DTV app..

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
post #322 of 737 Old 02-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

You know your cable is bad (Cox cable here is MPEG2) when the transport stream you are recording at 19Mbps looks much worse than a 3Mbps stream of the same content from the networks website!

Paul

Quote:
I'm anti-cable so I know little about how cable boxes output their signals. When I switch to HDMI-3 which is my X800 4K player, regardless of the disk being DVD or Blu-ray +1 zooms in, -1 zooms out the image, and Normal is Normal meaning Full Pixel with the black bars.

I would output on the DTV box with whatever works best, Hell I would just cut the cord and use the streaming DTV app..

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #323 of 737 Old 02-17-2019, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I have tried every set of settings including doing 2pt and 10pt calibrations. The below from Anderegg is absolutely insane in quality and absolutely stunning. The color accuracy, the colors, contrast, gamma at all amazing. It totally got rid of the slight cool blue hue and it’s just beautiful overall. I am using the 10pt settings.

I have messed with the settings soooo many times for months. Using live color in medium to get the lunch colors or turning color to 58 (mostly using the custom setting). Nothing matches the settings from Anderegg. The colors are punchy and vibrant without having burning bright typical of reds, and the inaccurate skin tones from using 58 color or live color. I am blown away. I’m using the 85 inch 900f. Thank you very much Anderegg!! The only thing I have different is Dolby vision for Netflix I have set contrast set to Max instead of 91. I think 91 is more accurate luminance wise but is a bit less “stunningly bright” which during the day I like but will try 91 at night with the lights off— I’m sure that’s perfect too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
New calibrated BT.1886 and HDR settings for the X900F. If unfamiliar with BT.1886, see link at bottom of post.

SDR BT.1886 2.4 gamma
Cinema Home
Expert 2
Brightness 3 (for 100cd/m)
Contrast Max
Gamma Min
Black level 50
LD user preference
X-tended not recommended for SDR
Color 51
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -4
R-Bias 15
G-Bias 15
B-Bias 8

10 Point
Point 1 17 15 9
Point 2 5 7 4
Point 3 0 -1 -1
Point 4 2 2 0
Point 5 -4 -3 -2
Point 6 -2 -3 -2
Point 7 -2 -2 -1
Point 8 -1 -1 -2
Point 9 0 0 -1
Point 10 1 0 1

HDR10/Dolby Vision
Cinema Pro
Expert 1
Brightness Max *
Contrast 91 *
Gamma 0
Black level 50
LD High *
X-tended Medium *
Color 50
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -5
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0

10 Point
Point 1 3 6 -3
Point 2 -5 -2 -9
Point 3 -2 -1 -1
Point 4 0 -1 -1
Point 5 0 0 0
Point 6 0 0 0
Point 7 6 6 3
Point 8 0 0 0
Point 9 12 11 6
Point 10 0 0 0

*These settings combined as specified, result in most accurate tone mapping and up to almost 800nit peak HDR brightness. Other combinations of these settings resulted in less peak brightness, and other luminance short comings. X-tended at High for instance produced less peak luminance, and actually got darker at 100%, dropping in brightness from 80%.

http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/...rs/BT.1886.pdf

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r...3-I!!PDF-E.pdf
post #324 of 737 Old 02-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Happy they are working out so well for you! :-D

The only difference you will see with contrast at Max instead of 91 in HDR, would be in extreme highlights, like bright daytime clouds or open windows with daylight where the rest of the shot is a dark room. It is important to realize that all of our HDR TV's are trying to compress the highlights into visible range, and every colorist will grade their highlights differently. The lower the contrast, the more highlight detail you can see, but also the less "HDR effect" realized, and the closer to "extreme SDR" the content will look like. DV has a bit of extra metadata that will on its own attempt to control the contrast to retain highlights, which is why it may look prettier set to Max.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1204 View Post
I have tried every set of settings including doing 2pt and 10pt calibrations. The below from Anderegg is absolutely insane in quality and absolutely stunning. The color accuracy, the colors, contrast, gamma at all amazing. It totally got rid of the slight cool blue hue and it’s just beautiful overall. I am using the 10pt settings.

I have messed with the settings soooo many times for months. Using live color in medium to get the lunch colors or turning color to 58 (mostly using the custom setting). Nothing matches the settings from Anderegg. The colors are punchy and vibrant without having burning bright typical of reds, and the inaccurate skin tones from using 58 color or live color. I am blown away. I’m using the 85 inch 900f. Thank you very much Anderegg!! The only thing I have different is Dolby vision for Netflix I have set contrast set to Max instead of 91. I think 91 is more accurate luminance wise but is a bit less “stunningly bright” which during the day I like but will try 91 at night with the lights off— I’m sure that’s perfect too.

post #325 of 737 Old 02-17-2019, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, Anderegg what means gamma Min (0 or -3) in your settings?
post #326 of 737 Old 02-17-2019, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traykov77 View Post
Hi, Anderegg what means gamma Min (0 or -3) in your settings?
The gamma menu selections are Min, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, Max. You want the one on the far left for BT.1886.

Paul
traykov77 likes this.

post #327 of 737 Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 AM

@Anderegg

still in the honeymoon phase, but this tv is amazing so far...im rewatching all my AT4K stuff in 4K just for fun! ive tried a couple settings from this thread, but am still a bit confused. when watching material that is in DV or HDR10, it does not let select picture mode in the Action Settings/Picture Adjustments menu...how do I get settings to stick? I use primarily the Sony uhd player and its onboard yt app, and the AT4K.
post #328 of 737 Old 02-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

There are 5 Dolby Vision picture mode storage settings, one for each HDMI input, and one for APPS. You must begin playback to the source to activate the DV mode, then pause the video
which allows you to go into the settings for DV for said input and make your adjustments.

HDR10 is similar, only that it shares the SDR profile/mode for each input, but switches to a separate brightness value, default of MAX when it sees HDR. Your white balance settings will remain constant even after HDR10 is triggered, so it is suggested to use a separate picture mode for SDR and HDR content. HDR10 and DV can share white balance Expert WB values though.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoodragon View Post
@Anderegg

still in the honeymoon phase, but this tv is amazing so far...im rewatching all my AT4K stuff in 4K just for fun! ive tried a couple settings from this thread, but am still a bit confused. when watching material that is in DV or HDR10, it does not let select picture mode in the Action Settings/Picture Adjustments menu...how do I get settings to stick? I use primarily the Sony uhd player and its onboard yt app, and the AT4K.

post #329 of 737 Old 02-18-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
There are 5 Dolby Vision picture mode storage settings, one for each HDMI input, and one for APPS. You must begin playback to the source to activate the DV mode, then pause the video
which allows you to go into the settings for DV for said input and make your adjustments.

HDR10 is similar, only that it shares the SDR profile/mode for each input, but switches to a separate brightness value, default of MAX when it sees HDR. Your white balance settings will remain constant even after HDR10 is triggered, so it is suggested to use a separate picture mode for SDR and HDR content. HDR10 and DV can share white balance Expert WB values though.

Paul
got it...still a bit confused lol....I loaded uhd of Mission impossible, which is DV. played the movie, and its displayed in DV. I hit pause, then opened action menu, picture adjustments...picture mode and auto picture mode are greyed out...but in your settings, you indicate I should be able to select cinema pro (not available)

I found the 2 point setting menu, but...
when you do the 10 point adjustments, where is point 1, 2, 3, etc...or is this hidden behind service menu? all I see below 10 point box is R offset/G offset/B offset...
thanks for guiding this noobie through!
A

Last edited by mooshoodragon; 02-18-2019 at 09:20 AM.
post #330 of 737 Old 02-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Dolby Vision content will be limited to the DOLBY VISION PICTURE MODE, it is unique and cannot be changed to other picture modes. You can however change all the settings within the DV mode, just as you can any other picture mode...don't be unsettled simply because of the name/tag of the picture mode being fixed as DV.

The Gain and Bias are the 2 point. 2 point adjustments must be entered for each and every picture mode, in each and every input and source...very annoying.
The 10 point system includes Expert 1, Expert 2, Warm, etc.
Add the 10 point values to Expert 1 or 2, and when you select Expert 1 or 2 in the Dolby Vision mode, those custom 10 point values previously entered in any other mode will still be there and used by DV. The 10 point adjustments once entered in ANY picture mode will remain available by simply selecting the named (Expert 1/2 etc) white balance setting in any other picture mode.

To adjust the 10 point system, go to Advanced Settings / Color / Color Temperature /Expert 1 or 2 / Adv Color Temperature - below the Gain and Bias, you will see Color gamma adjustment points...these are points 1-10, R-G-B-offsets. Highlight "Color gamma adjustment points", the right or left arrow to move between points 1-10.

I hope that made sense?

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoodragon View Post
got it...still a bit confused lol....I loaded uhd of Mission impossible, which is DV. played the movie, and its displayed in DV. I hit pause, then opened action menu, picture adjustments...picture mode and auto picture mode are greyed out...but in your settings, you indicate I should be able to select cinema pro (not available)

I found the 2 point setting menu, but...
when you do the 10 point adjustments, where is point 1, 2, 3, etc...or is this hidden behind service menu? all I see below 10 point box is R offset/G offset/B offset...
thanks for guiding this noobie through!
A

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page