2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 283Likes

post #331 of 793 Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Hi Anderegg maybe you can help. I’m struggling with balancing the brightness setting. My tv is in a living room and it’s BRIGHT during the day with sunshine and it can be at max brightness and generally not be too bright. But at night leaving the brightness at max it’s way too bright. I also always use the light sensor so it adjusts down when it’s night time but it isn’t aggressive enough and it’s still too bright at night but then not bright enough during the day.

Do you have any ideas that don’t involve having to go into the settings during the day and at night to change the setting to something comfortable?

The only thing I can think of is try about 25 brightness and have the light sensor on, but then it won’t be very bright during the day. If I turn the lights off and watch a movie I’ll go between 3-6 brightness and turn the sensor off. But I can’t find a happy medium for brightness so far for general YouTube tv content day / night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoodragon View Post
@Anderegg

still in the honeymoon phase, but this tv is amazing so far...im rewatching all my AT4K stuff in 4K just for fun! ive tried a couple settings from this thread, but am still a bit confused. when watching material that is in DV or HDR10, it does not let select picture mode in the Action Settings/Picture Adjustments menu...how do I get settings to stick? I use primarily the Sony uhd player and its onboard yt app, and the AT4K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Dolby Vision content will be limited to the DOLBY VISION PICTURE MODE, it is unique and cannot be changed to other picture modes. You can however change all the settings within the DV mode, just as you can any other picture mode...don't be unsettled simply because of the name/tag of the picture mode being fixed as DV.

The Gain and Bias are the 2 point. 2 point adjustments must be entered for each and every picture mode, in each and every input and source...very annoying.
The 10 point system includes Expert 1, Expert 2, Warm, etc.
Add the 10 point values to Expert 1 or 2, and when you select Expert 1 or 2 in the Dolby Vision mode, those custom 10 point values previously entered in any other mode will still be there and used by DV. The 10 point adjustments once entered in ANY picture mode will remain available by simply selecting the named (Expert 1/2 etc) white balance setting in any other picture mode.

To adjust the 10 point system, go to Advanced Settings / Color / Color Temperature /Expert 1 or 2 / Adv Color Temperature - below the Gain and Bias, you will see Color gamma adjustment points...these are points 1-10, R-G-B-offsets. Highlight "Color gamma adjustment points", the right or left arrow to move between points 1-10.

I hope that made sense?

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshoodragon View Post
got it...still a bit confused lol....I loaded uhd of Mission impossible, which is DV. played the movie, and its displayed in DV. I hit pause, then opened action menu, picture adjustments...picture mode and auto picture mode are greyed out...but in your settings, you indicate I should be able to select cinema pro (not available)

I found the 2 point setting menu, but...
when you do the 10 point adjustments, where is point 1, 2, 3, etc...or is this hidden behind service menu? all I see below 10 point box is R offset/G offset/B offset...
thanks for guiding this noobie through!
A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 793 Old 02-18-2019, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
New calibrated BT.1886 and HDR settings for the X900F. If unfamiliar with BT.1886, see link at bottom of post.

SDR BT.1886 2.4 gamma
Cinema Home
Expert 2
Brightness 3 (for 100cd/m)
Contrast Max
Gamma Min
Black level 50
LD user preference
X-tended not recommended for SDR
Color 51
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -4
R-Bias 15
G-Bias 15
B-Bias 8

10 Point
Point 1 17 15 9
Point 2 5 7 4
Point 3 0 -1 -1
Point 4 2 2 0
Point 5 -4 -3 -2
Point 6 -2 -3 -2
Point 7 -2 -2 -1
Point 8 -1 -1 -2
Point 9 0 0 -1
Point 10 1 0 1

HDR10/Dolby Vision
Cinema Pro
Expert 1
Brightness Max *
Contrast 91 *
Gamma 0
Black level 50
LD High *
X-tended Medium *
Color 50
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -5
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0

10 Point
Point 1 3 6 -3
Point 2 -5 -2 -9
Point 3 -2 -1 -1
Point 4 0 -1 -1
Point 5 0 0 0
Point 6 0 0 0
Point 7 6 6 3
Point 8 0 0 0
Point 9 12 11 6
Point 10 0 0 0

*These settings combined as specified, result in most accurate tone mapping and up to almost 800nit peak HDR brightness. Other combinations of these settings resulted in less peak brightness, and other luminance short comings. X-tended at High for instance produced less peak luminance, and actually got darker at 100%, dropping in brightness from 80%.

http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/...rs/BT.1886.pdf

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r...3-I!!PDF-E.pdf
Hi Anderegg I just wanted to know if your latest 2pt and 10pt calibrations can be used for Game mode instead of cinema home? Or if there are any recommendations for game mode I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your work and your time!
post #333 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
These are my current settings and I couldn't be happier.

PICTURE
Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 28
Color: 53
Light Sensor: Off

BRIGHTNESS
Contrast: 92
Gamma: -1
Black Level: 47
Black Adjust: Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-Tended Dynamic Range: Medium

COLOR
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Expert 1
Adv. Color Temperature
2 Point
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: -6
R-Bias: -2
G-Bias: 1
B-Bias: 5

10 Point 
Point 1: 2 5 -3
Point 2: 0 1 -2
Point 3: -2 -1 -1
Point 4: 0 -1 -1
Point 5: -1 -1 -1
Point 6: -1 -1 -1
Point 7: 1 1 0
Point 8: 0 0 0
Point 9: 1 3 0
Point 10: 0 0 0
Live Color: Off

CLARITY
Sharpness: 35
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: 41
Mastered in 4K: On
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth Gradiation: Low

MOTION
Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: 3
Clearness: 1
Cinemotion: Low

VIDEO
HDR Mode: Auto
HDMI Video Range: Full
Color Space: Auto
Duckbacker likes this.

• XBR-85X900F • Denon AVR-X2400H •
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlev869 View Post

VIDEO

You really should have HDMI video range on auto. Unless ALL your source devices are set to Full range (imo they should be set to limited) you will have video range mismatch problems which can really make the picture look bad
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #335 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 12:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
BT.1886 is a format for movies, it's how they view when they color grade shows for like Netflix. I would stick with a standard 2.2 gamma calibration for SDR gaming...my HDR settings look amazeballs for Windows 10 HDR gaming though! :-D

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hewett-long View Post
Hi Anderegg I just wanted to know if your latest 2pt and 10pt calibrations can be used for Game mode instead of cinema home? Or if there are any recommendations for game mode I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your work and your time!

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #336 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by barlev869 View Post

PICTURE
Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off

BRIGHTNESS
Contrast: 92
Gamma: -1
Black Level: 47
Black Adjust: Low
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-Tended Dynamic Range: Medium

COLOR
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Expert 1
Adv. Color Temperature
2 Point
R-Gain: -2
G-Gain: -3
B-Gain: -6
R-Bias: -2
G-Bias: 1
B-Bias: 5

10 Point 
Point 1: 2 5 -3
Point 2: 0 1 -2
Point 3: -2 -1 -1
Point 4: 0 -1 -1
Point 5: -1 -1 -1
Point 6: -1 -1 -1
Point 7: 1 1 0
Point 8: 0 0 0
Point 9: 1 3 0
Point 10: 0 0 0
Live Color: Off

CLARITY
Sharpness: 35
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: 41
Mastered in 4K: On
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth Gradiation: Low

MOTION
Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: 3
Clearness: 1
Cinemotion: Low

VIDEO
I will try your settings tonight since it's the first one that I saw with a lowered black level.
I'm using my X900F for about 3/4 days and the only thing that is bothering me atm it's the black level in movies with dark scenes (for gaming I'm loving).

I came from a LG B7 and ofc that I don't expect the same black level but it appears that the blacks are a little grayish with the default 50, resulting in a better "shadow detail" but worse black.

Also I'm a completely noob and would appreciate any tips hehe
post #337 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
You really should have HDMI video range on auto. Unless ALL your source devices are set to Full range (imo they should be set to limited) you will have video range mismatch problems which can really make the picture look bad
My source devices are Apple TV 4K, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and an HD antenna. All of them look glorious.
I will set the range to auto though and see if I notice any changes.

Thanks for the info.
post #338 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Lowering black level on the X900F will not produce a lower black NIT level, it will only crush the blacks, meaning it will force the levels right above zero black down to zero black, but your zero black will remain the same, and will get brighter as you increase backlight.

A lot of shows, even Marvel movies, do not have a true zero black level. I saw a YouTube clip showing that the lowest black on Marvel movies is still a light grey, so if you lower the black level for something like that, it would actually "correct" the levels.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #339 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Lowering black level on the X900F will not produce a lower black NIT level, it will only crush the blacks, meaning it will force the levels right above zero black down to zero black, but your zero black will remain the same, and will get brighter as you increase backlight.

A lot of shows, even Marvel movies, do not have a true zero black level. I saw a YouTube clip showing that the lowest black on Marvel movies is still a light grey, so if you lower the black level for something like that, it would actually "correct" the levels.

Paul
Lowering from 50 > 48/47 I could see the blacks darken and the light "haze" go away.
My numbers are only meant for what looks the best to my eyes. (and my wife)

"Lost In Space" on Netflix (Dolby Vision turned off) is pure candy to my eyes.

post #340 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
BT.1886 is a format for movies, it's how they view when they color grade shows for like Netflix. I would stick with a standard 2.2 gamma calibration for SDR gaming...my HDR settings look amazeballs for Windows 10 HDR gaming though! :-D

Paul
Paul

I used your BT 1886 calibrations on my 65X900f for regular cable TV and the set looks the better than ever. Thanks
post #341 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spolott View Post
Paul

I used your BT 1886 calibrations on my 65X900f for regular cable TV and the set looks the better than ever. Thanks
I have also used Anderegg settings on my 65 inch. I love the picture. The only one I am struggling a little is for HDR/Dolby Vision.

I did follow Anderggs settings and they still look best to me, however phew some scenes are still bright. I have to admit that its plenty bright now for HDR and Dolby.

Anderegg if you find a better calibration for HDR/DV please post, however so far it looks great - Thanks!
post #342 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

What do you mean by some scenes are still bright...too bright?

If you turn X-tended Dynamic Range OFF, this will knock the peak brightness from 800nit to around 550nits. XDR is the only way these TV sets will produce over 550nit once calibrated for 6500k.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichaels View Post
I have also used Anderegg settings on my 65 inch. I love the picture. The only one I am struggling a little is for HDR/Dolby Vision.

I did follow Anderggs settings and they still look best to me, however phew some scenes are still bright. I have to admit that its plenty bright now for HDR and Dolby.

Anderegg if you find a better calibration for HDR/DV please post, however so far it looks great - Thanks!

post #343 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I’ve been using the Xfinity X1 box to watch Netflix and just realized that it doesn’t support Dolby Vision. I think I’ll start using the tv’s Netflix app instead now. I would really appreciate it if someone could pass along the best settings for Netflix and Dolby Vision.

Thanks in advance.
post #344 of 793 Old 02-19-2019, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

See my sig link for HDR settings...also, ensure you have True Cinema on as well as CineMotion on Medium which turns the APP stream into 24p

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeee View Post
I’ve been using the Xfinity X1 box to watch Netflix and just realized that it doesn’t support Dolby Vision. I think I’ll start using the tv’s Netflix app instead now. I would really appreciate it if someone could pass along the best settings for Netflix and Dolby Vision.

Thanks in advance.

post #345 of 793 Old 02-20-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
What do you mean by some scenes are still bright...too bright?

If you turn X-tended Dynamic Range OFF, this will knock the peak brightness from 800nit to around 550nits. XDR is the only way these TV sets will produce over 550nit once calibrated for 6500k.

Paul
Sorry Paul, I should have been more clear. I find that with those settings for HDR/Dolby that it looks very bright, in some scenes too bright. Other than that it looks great! I will never complain that Dolby Vision or HDR is too dark Your colors are great!

When you mention XDR to lose some NITS - I might try that. However I understand when in Dolby or HDR it will auto change Brightness and XDR to MAX setting. If I wanted to reduce XDR do I do so while the movie is playing in HDR/Dolby in picture adjustments as I am use to calibrating settings before the sources are played. Sorry if it seems like a silly question - Still new to calibrations.

Thx
post #346 of 793 Old 02-20-2019, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Just consider XDR a "turbo boost" setting for brightness...turn it off and the TV will never output more than 550nits...so basically a limiter that cuts peak brightness by 1/3. The settings that automatically default on DV or HDR can be adjusted while in those modes, and those changes will be saved. The default settings for each picture mode are by no means optimal, and I think are merely there to make the TV look shinier and more glittery when on the sales floor next to other TV's under bright florescent store lighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichaels View Post
Sorry Paul, I should have been more clear. I find that with those settings for HDR/Dolby that it looks very bright, in some scenes too bright. Other than that it looks great! I will never complain that Dolby Vision or HDR is too dark Your colors are great!

When you mention XDR to lose some NITS - I might try that. However I understand when in Dolby or HDR it will auto change Brightness and XDR to MAX setting. If I wanted to reduce XDR do I do so while the movie is playing in HDR/Dolby in picture adjustments as I am use to calibrating settings before the sources are played. Sorry if it seems like a silly question - Still new to calibrations.

Thx

post #347 of 793 Old 02-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
See my sig link for HDR settings...also, ensure you have True Cinema on as well as CineMotion on Medium which turns the APP stream into 24p

Paul

Anderegg, I just tried your recommended settings for SDR on my TiVo bolt. The picture looks amazing but it is a little dark. Any recommendations to brighten it a little bit but not throw off the picture created by your settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #348 of 793 Old 02-20-2019, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

The brightness at 3 is simply for 100cd/m "reference" dark room viewing....simply turn up the main brightness value of the TV...it will not affect the gamma curve. :-)

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrippe View Post
Anderegg, I just tried your recommended settings for SDR on my TiVo bolt. The picture looks amazing but it is a little dark. Any recommendations to brighten it a little bit but not throw off the picture created by your settings?

jtrippe likes this.

post #349 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What happen if I turn off X-tended Dynamic Range in HDR videos?
post #350 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Friends
I have a TV mount which has a swing arm, and it was specced for up to 47kg.
Can it withstand the weight of the 85" model?
Cheers
post #351 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 05:52 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Friends
Cheers
You would be just under 47kg limit with that mount, but not by much.
post #352 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Friends
Cheers
I wouldn't risk it.
104 lbs "spec" for a 100 lbs (expensive) TV is too close for me.
My flush mount handles up to 220lbs and it still scares me lol.
christoofar likes this.

post #353 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

I tweaked my settings some for more depth, I have my settings on Cinema Pro/Expert 1 and @Anderegg BT.1886 2.4 gamma settings on Cinema Home/Expert 2. They are very close* on my set with my settings beings a touch brighter due to gamma at -2 and +3 to brightness over Paul's. *The 1886 settings have a slight greenish push on my set* but still look good.

I watched King Kong 4K last night for testing, and WOW what a fun time
jtrippe likes this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #354 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

It's not greenish, you are just color checking watching The Matrix :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
I tweaked my settings some for more depth, I have my settings on Cinema Pro/Expert 1 and @Anderegg BT.1886 2.4 gamma settings on Cinema Home/Expert 2. They are very close* on my set with my settings beings a touch brighter due to gamma at -2 and +3 to brightness over Paul's. *The 1886 settings have a slight greenish push on my set* but still look good.

I watched King Kong 4K last night for testing, and WOW what a fun time
CaptinCrunch likes this.

post #355 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 55
2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melqui Machado View Post

Then you are essentially turning off HDR
post #356 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
A bunny dies.

post #357 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 306
(YouTube) Sony 4K, Samsung QLED 8K, and StockFootage 4K UHD

This recreates the manufacturer's store demo mode, only better. Enjoy

Picture Mode - Vivid
Light sensor - off
Brightness - 35
Contrast - max
Gamma - min
Black level - 50
Back adjust - high
Adv. Contrast - off/low depending on content
Auto local dimming - high
XDR - off

Color - 60
Hue - 0
Color temp - Expert 1
Adv color temp - default
Live color - off/low depending on content

Sharpness - 75
Reality creation - auto
Random noise - auto
Digital noise - auto
Smooth - low

Motion flow - smooth or standard works well.
CineMotion - high
Video options - auto

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 05-06-2019 at 01:12 PM.
post #358 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

If you turn it off, you lose about 1/3rd of your peak nits...on my calibrations, you go from like 800nit to 550nit as soon as you turn off XDR.

Paul

Quote:

post #359 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
The brightness at 3 is simply for 100cd/m "reference" dark room viewing....simply turn up the main brightness value of the TV...it will not affect the gamma curve. :-)

Paul

Did you leave all other settings liklike advanced contrast enhancer and live color at the default setting for each? For example, in cinema home, advanced contrast enhancer is medium and live color is high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My setup: Sony 65X900F w/ Sony UBP-X700, Tivo Bolt 4k, AppleTV 4k (64GB), Sony HT-Z9F soundbar w/ Sony SAZ9R rear wireless speakers. TCL 4K 43" S405 w/ Sony UBP-X800, Tivo Mini 4k and Sony HT-XT100 soundbar.
post #360 of 793 Old 02-21-2019, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Other settings were left off...things such as advanced contrast enhancer live color and black adjust are "effects", not adjustments...think of them like the photo filters on an iPhone camera.

Paul

Quote:
Did you leave all other settings like advanced contrast enhancer and live color at the default setting for each? For example, in cinema home, advanced contrast enhancer is medium and live color is high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
CaptinCrunch and jtrippe like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page