2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 310Likes

post #391 of 837 Old 03-03-2019, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post
Still curious what the setting "ClearAudio+" is for. I didn't see it from the link on the first page. I know most of these settings are for picture settings, but is there a quick explanation what this audio setting does? I have the tv connected to a receiver via ARC on HDMI 3

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/...icles/00078287
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 837 Old 03-04-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
haha...thanks for the link, but is it just me or does that "explanation" not really tell you much?
post #393 of 837 Old 03-04-2019, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 298
All those weird audio sound settings only work for the built in speakers. When you ARC out Dolby Digital or DTS formats, you are sending a precompressed bitstream signal, basically a stream of the original video file audio data, not an "audio signal" per se. That data is sent over ARC to your receiver or soundbar, which then decodes the data and plays it back as an audio stream. Those weird options in the TV menu for sound configure the TV's built in decoder which is only capable of processing how that data is played back over the small TV speakers. Your receiver will have its own set of weird sound "processing" features.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 837 Old 03-05-2019, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello,

i search good Settings for Football ( today is Champions League )

I Hope anyone can help me...

Greetings
post #395 of 837 Old 03-05-2019, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post
Apple TV 4k / cable box / ps4 pro / ps4 pro hdr

Cinema home / cinema home / game / game
Auto picture mode on (my Apple TV and PS4 go through my receiver so this switches to game mode automatically when I turn on my PS4. Also, the PS4 main menu has some banding if you manually switch to game mode, none if it auto switches.)
Brightness - 35 / 35 / 25 / max
Color - 50
Light sensor - on
Contrast - 90 (max for PS4 hdr)
Gamma - 0
Black level - 50
Black adjust - off
Adv contrast - off
Auto local dimming - medium
Xtended dynamic range - off (high for PS4 hdr)
Hue - 0
Color temp - expert 1
Adv color temp - Anderegg’s settings (thanks! They look great! I was using rtings previously, but yours are better.)
Live color - off
Sharpness - 50
Reality - off
Random noise - off (auto for cable box)
Digital noise - off (auto for cable box)
Smooth gradation - off (low for cable box)
Motionflow - true cinema / true cinema / off / off
Cinemotion - high / high / off / off

I watch tv mostly at night with the lights off and my medialight quad on. I’ve been running it at 40% lately.

I do not use hdr on my Apple TV 4k ( I know, I know.) The blooming in the black bars is way too distracting for me and the bias light can’t mask it. I’m much happier watching everything in sdr. It’s still bright, colorful, I can see all the shadow detail and the black bars are inky with the bias light. I’m just happier that way. I also have frame matching off. I’ve gone back and forth and to me it seems like the tv does a better job of handling motion with true cinema and cinemotion than it does getting a direct 24p signal.

I still use hdr for games of course.
Ok so I just set my tv to these settings and it looks a lot better. Thanks! However, I have everything (DISH, FireTV, and Xbox One X) all run through my Denon 2400H. I set the picture mode to auto but when I go from game to Dish it doesn't not change it back to Cinema Home. Am I missing a setting?
sebastien.juglar likes this.
post #396 of 837 Old 03-05-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1841 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
Hello,

i search good Settings for Football ( today is Champions League )

I Hope anyone can help me...

Greetings
Check out the first post on this thread. Good luck.
post #397 of 837 Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by charden37 View Post
Ok so I just set my tv to these settings and it looks a lot better. Thanks! However, I have everything (DISH, FireTV, and Xbox One X) all run through my Denon 2400H. I set the picture mode to auto but when I go from game to Dish it doesn't not change it back to Cinema Home. Am I missing a setting?
Have you updated to Oreo? Auto picture mode hasn’t been working properly for me since the Oreo update.
post #398 of 837 Old 03-06-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
All those weird audio sound settings only work for the built in speakers. When you ARC out Dolby Digital or DTS formats, you are sending a precompressed bitstream signal, basically a stream of the original video file audio data, not an "audio signal" per se. That data is sent over ARC to your receiver or soundbar, which then decodes the data and plays it back as an audio stream. Those weird options in the TV menu for sound configure the TV's built in decoder which is only capable of processing how that data is played back over the small TV speakers. Your receiver will have its own set of weird sound "processing" features.

Paul
Ah! That's good to know. Thanks, Paul!
post #399 of 837 Old 03-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post
Have you updated to Oreo? Auto picture mode hasn’t been working properly for me since the Oreo update.
No update yet. I refuse to do the update until they fix the arc issue. I mean its not difficult to go back through and change picture mode, but I thought that's what "Auto" was supposed to do for me lol.
post #400 of 837 Old 03-07-2019, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I normally use True Cinema for everything because if I understand correctly, it detects the frame rate of whatever content you are watching and matches it.

Can anyone confirm if this setting would be acceptable for Sports or are you guys using something else?

Does True Cinema engage the X Motion Clarity that Sony is praised for or am I missing out on the motion benefits of the set? Or do I have to go to custom and turn the clearness slider to 1?
post #401 of 837 Old 03-07-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit21 View Post
I normally use True Cinema for everything because if I understand correctly, it detects the frame rate of whatever content you are watching and matches it.

Can anyone confirm if this setting would be acceptable for Sports or are you guys using something else?

Does True Cinema engage the X Motion Clarity that Sony is praised for or am I missing out on the motion benefits of the set? Or do I have to go to custom and turn the clearness slider to 1?
I’m not sure exactly how true cinema works, but it seems to work fine for sports for me. I don’t notice any issues.

It does not engage x motion clarity. Custom with clearness at 1 is how to engage it as you mentioned. I think the smooth and standard modes also have it engaged. It will dim the screen a little bit. I prefer to not use it.
post #402 of 837 Old 03-08-2019, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

My understanding is that True Cinema is an attempt to apply smoothness/clearness in a manner by which 24p content motion is best displayed.

Take a look at the link below in a 60Hz monitor or computer, or 50Hz if you are weird. Note how the half refresh rate lower UFO looks while moving. I am assuming True Cinema is applying it's Clearness BFI and Smoothness Frame Interpolation specifically to clean up 24Hz refresh rate 24p motion. This would also explain why you lose a bit of brightness with it turned on, that's the BFI aspect of it.

https://www.testufo.com/framerates#c...d=none&pps=960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyrabbit21 View Post

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #403 of 837 Old 03-08-2019, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Yay, coming April 2019, Calman Home 2019 $145 with X900F auto-calibration.

http://files.spectracal.com/Document...019_Home-3.pdf

Paul

post #404 of 837 Old 03-08-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Yay, coming April 2019, Calman Home 2019 $145 with X900F auto-calibration.

http://files.spectracal.com/Document...019_Home-3.pdf

Paul
Sweet...I couldn't tell but what all does that include? Just the software or software and meter?
post #405 of 837 Old 03-09-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charden37 View Post
Sweet...I couldn't tell but what all does that include? Just the software or software and meter?
I was all excited until I read this in a review of the Sony X950G (2019 model).

The autocal REQUIRES you purchase an external pattern generator, obviously you need to buy your own meter as well. Unfortunately, the autocal ONLY calibrates SDR, NOT HDR, and then ONLY 2.2 power law gamma, not BT.1886 like the rest of Spectracals products. 2.2 power law is the simplest and easiest preschool calibration, which you can do manually without effort in about 5 minutes with HCFR, it really is that easy.

I was excited thinking I could get a nice HDR or BT.1886 autocal out of the $145 software using only my meter and the downloaded autocal Sony app....oh well...

Paul

"This is the first time that we have used CalMAN AutoCal on a Sony TV. “AutoCal” is short for auto-calibration, which means that it is an automated process. Unlike LG’s TVs where auto-calibration is integrated on an underlying hardware level, Sony TVs adjust the same picture settings that are available to the user. To get the CalMAN software to communicate with the TV you need to download an Android app that initiates the connection. Unfortunately, the app cannot generate the test patterns required for auto-calibration so external pattern generator hardware (such as Videoforge Pro) is still required, unlike Panasonic and LG’s 2019 high-end TVs.

When calibrating the TV via AutoCal (see picture) you gain access to two extra profiles under the ‘Personal’ mode that can be adjusted individually (i.e. day and night). Since Sony added CMS adjustments, meaning color adjustment for primary and secondary colors, it has been possible to fix errors in how the panel handles the color space. All adjustments are based on the Rec.709 color space with a D65 white point and a 2.2 gamma (which is a bit ironic since Sony TVs are set to 2.4 gamma per default). AutoCal adjusts colors with 10-point adjustment, and these settings will automatically be applied to all picture modes that are set to the same color space.

Unfortunately, AutoCal does not set the gamma setting so you must remember to manually switch to 2.2 once you are finished as it will otherwise be set to 2.4. Not the most elegant solution, if you ask me.

With Sony TVs you do not calibrate HDR modes. Everything is automatically derived from the SDR calibration in gamma 2.2. It is therefore not possible to adjust things manually afterwards since any changes will also affect the SDR calibration. Luckily, this conversion function works quite well but after having used LG’s comprehensive suite of auto-calibration features that allows for plenty of fine-tuning, Sony’s approach feels a little archaic."

post #406 of 837 Old 03-09-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 140
General questions after about 10 months of ownership

1. Has there been any fix or acknowledgment of the issue where the backlight flickers between scene changes, especially on HDR content?

2. Are we getting HDR from the built in youtube app?

3. Any word on a 900G coming out anytime soon? Was wondering if we should jump on one of these deals for a larger set and move this to the other room.

Samsung 55" JS8500, 48" JS9000, 75" Q90R, 46" ES7100 - Sony 65" 900F

I Like Digital!
post #407 of 837 Old 03-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
General questions after about 10 months of ownership

1. Has there been any fix or acknowledgment of the issue where the backlight flickers between scene changes, especially on HDR content?

2. Are we getting HDR from the built in youtube app?

3. Any word on a 900G coming out anytime soon? Was wondering if we should jump on one of these deals for a larger set and move this to the other room.
Probably best to ask those on the main X900F thread instead of the X900F settings thread.

The X950G review I read stated Sony told them the X900F will carry through for 2019, with the X950G being the top of the line Sony 2019 4K TV, and the rest of the upper range being 8K only. X950G got eARC, enhanced HDMI 2.0 on all 4 ports, and working HDR autoswitching for YouTube. I have never experienced the scene flickers, but I keep all the "effects" such as smoothness turned off, except for LD.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1551684183

Paul
Category 5 likes this.

post #408 of 837 Old 03-12-2019, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Can anyone with some equipment tell me which setting is better for bright room?

Brightness: 20
Gamma: 0

or

Brightness
40:
Gamma: -2

Thanks!
post #409 of 837 Old 03-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

When you are deviating from calibrated references, better than not calibrated is in the eye of the beholder...pick whichever looks best to you in the setting you are viewing.

Gamma - will make the darks and shadows darker, but doesn't affect the highlights.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by remark900 View Post

or

Brightness
40:

Thanks!
CaptinCrunch likes this.

post #410 of 837 Old 03-13-2019, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

or

Brightness
40:

Thanks!
My family room can get pretty bright with it being a open floor plan with the kitchen, and having french doors leading to the patio, and a large kitchen window.

I would start with the best of both there,

Brightness 20
Gamma -2

you will find that to be a good Day/Night setting to start with.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #411 of 837 Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hi,

here my Settings and i hope you like it :-)

SDR ( SAT -> SD, 720p, 1080i )

PICTURE

Picture Mode: Cinema Home
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Brightness: 12
Color: 55
Light Sensor: Off

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness: 12
Contrast: 95
Black Level: 50
Black Adjust: off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-Tended Dynamic Range: off

COLOR

Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Expert 1
Adv. Color Temperature: default
Live Color: Off

CLARITY

Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Auto ( When manual than 20 / 25 )
Mastered in 4K: off ( It is only for Blurays )
Random noise reduction: Auto
Digital noise reduction: Auto
Smooth Gradiation: Low

MOTION

Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: 2
Clearness: Min
Cinemotion: High

VIDEO
HDR Mode: Auto
HDMI Video Range: Auto
Color Space: Auto

SDR ( 1080p )

PICTURE

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Brightness: 10

BRIGHTNESS

Contrast: 90
Auto Local Dimming: Medium/High
X-Tended Dynamic Range: off

COLOR

CLARITY

Reality Creation: off or 20/25
Random noise reduction: off
Digital noise reduction: off
Smooth Gradiation: off

MOTION

Motionflow: Cinema

VIDEO

HDR

PICTURE

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro

BRIGHTNESS

Contrast: 93
Auto Local Dimming: Medium/High
X-Tended Dynamic Range: High

COLOR

CLARITY

Reality Creation: off
Random noise reduction: off
Digital noise reduction: off
Smooth Gradiation: off

MOTION

Motionflow: Cinema

VIDEO
CaptinCrunch and fgsouza like this.
post #412 of 837 Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 AM

I've noticed that with HDR and DV content when adjusting the Live Color setting the overall brightness is heavily impacted (especially with Live Color on High).

Is this a possible solution for the dark DV and HDR content?
post #413 of 837 Old 03-15-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've noticed that with HDR and DV content when adjusting the Live Color setting the overall brightness is heavily impacted (especially with Live Color on High).

Is this a possible solution for the dark DV and HDR content?
No, Live Color increases color saturation making colors seem brighter. For HDR/DV content the best way to increase overall brightnes is raising Gamma. I use Gamma 0, but you can raise it to +1, +2.

XDR - medium
Auto Local Dimming - High
fgsouza likes this.

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #414 of 837 Old 03-15-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
No, Live Color increases color saturation making colors seem brighter. For HDR/DV content the best way to increase overall brightnes is raising Gamma. I use Gamma 0, but you can raise it to +1, +2.

XDR - medium
Auto Local Dimming - High
Thank you.

I've been using those settings for XDR and ALD as well as adjusting the Gamma - I just found it strange that adjusting the Live Color seemed to have a big impact on overall brightness
post #415 of 837 Old 03-15-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Buying Question

My wife and I were very impressed with the X900F and we saw an x900F alongside an x950f. We couldn't see differences in PQ but we were at a store with both tvs set at vivid... Should we buy now or wait for the x950F? Don't know what the improvements are for 2019 or if they are worth it... Thanks for your thoughts!
post #416 of 837 Old 03-15-2019, 08:59 PM

Here’s my new settings. Been using them the last week and I’m the happiest I’ve been with this tv. Blooming is still bad, but I can just turn off hdr if it bothers me too much.

These are nighttime settings.

Medialight Quad - 2% (I just like a faint glow)

Cable Box - ATV4k SDR - ATV4k HDR - ATV4k DV - PS4 SDR - HDR

Picture Mode: Custom - game - game - dv - game - game
Brightness: 1 - 1 - Max - Max - 1 - Max
Color: 50
Light Sensor: off
Contrast: 90
Black Level: off
Adv. Contrast: off
Local Dimming: high
Xtended: off - off - medium - medium - off - medium
Temp: expert 1
Adv. Color: default, I did not change any of the 2 or 10 points
Live Color: off
Reality: off
Random Noise: low - off for rest
Digital Noise: low - off for rest
Smooth Gradation: low - off for rest
Motionflow: true cinema - off for rest
Cinemotion: low - off for rest

I was having stuttering problems with my cable box since I got my x900f. Anytime I tried to watch 24p content it would stutter. Rtings had said that true cinema and cinemotion high would correct the issue, it didn’t. It turns out cinemotion low is what works on my set.

I’ve been using game mode for my Apple TV sdr and hdr. I don’t notice any picture degradation. Game mode seems to have better motion than custom or either cinema modes. Motion is smooth as can be. I love it.

Btw, Aquaman is absolutely gorgeous in 4k DV.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Last edited by EyeWasAbducted; 03-15-2019 at 09:12 PM.
post #417 of 837 Old 03-19-2019, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is there anyway to see the details of the current display/signal/image other than just resolution eg colour space (eg rec.709/2020) and chroma sampling (eg 4:2:0 / 4:2:2)? Thanks

Epson EH-TW7300, 104" borderless ReAct 3, Denon AVR-X2300W in 5.1.2, Monitor Audio Bronze, Monitor Audio Pro-65, BK P12-300 sub, Nvidia Shield, Vero 4K+, ATV 4K, Panasonic UB400, SKY Q, PS3, Wii, RPi, Sony XF90, Denon Heos soundbar, Amazon Echo, Logitech Harmony Elite
post #418 of 837 Old 03-19-2019, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks,

I went through the first few pages of this thread and didn't see my question answered...

Are these settings screen size agnostic? I remember for my Pioneer plasma the numbers for the 60" were not useable for the 50", and vice versa.

Thanks,
post #419 of 837 Old 03-19-2019, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poormxdad View Post
Folks,

I went through the first few pages of this thread and didn't see my question answered...

Are these settings screen size agnostic? I remember for my Pioneer plasma the numbers for the 60" were not useable for the 50", and vice versa.

Thanks,
No, the standard settings can be applied to any size X900F, it's only the 2pt & 10pt advanced color options that may or may not look optimal for your set.
naustin likes this.

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #420 of 837 Old 03-22-2019, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I have a Color Munki Display, what do you think is the easiest/simplest calibration software I can use with it on my X900F?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page