2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 284Likes

post #481 of 799 Old 05-04-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 1140
Nice clear simple article on video compression banding and artifacts.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/29/wh...s-the-science/

IMHO it probably should be added to the first post for reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 799 Old 05-05-2019, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Important Dolby Vision settings discovery (too dark)

I spent more time on HCFR trying to map out the TV's 10 points against HCFR's 20 point graph...was successful, so I made some slight updates to my HDR10 Cinema Pro settings.

While double checking my results using my Sony X700 BD player and HDR10 greyscale files, I found that indeed Dolby Vision dims the entire luminance range considerably. The X700 BD player allows you to toggle DV on and off in HDR mode, so I tested 50% as well as 100% both with DV on and then off. DV off, calibrated 50% was spot on at 94nit, but with DV on that figure dropped to 60nit, a 40% reduction in brightness. 100% DV off resulted in 540nit, but when DV was activated, that too dropped to 480nit. These were both using my custom calibrated HDR10 settings, which include contrast of 91 to deal with the highlight curve.

Once I activated local dimming to high, Xtended DR to med, and contrast to Max, things changed. DV on hit exactly 94nit at 50% with all of those "features" enabled, and hit 690nit at 100%. With those features enabled, sans contrast, DV off was able to reach 770nit.

So long story short, Dolby Vision can use my calibrated HDR10 settings, but contrast must be set to Max. My calibrations seem to be dealing with the contrast in a similar fashion to how DV works, but when DV is activated, it takes over that.

See link below for updated HDR10 and Dolby Vision settings.

HDR10/Dolby Vision Calibrations
Cinema Pro (Cinema Home if you choose)
Expert 1 (or Expert 2 if you choose)
Brightness Max
Contrast 91 (Dolby Vision set contrast to Max)
Gamma 0
Black level 50
LD High
X-tended Medium
Color 50
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -4
B-Gain -5
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0

10 Point
Point 1 5 7 -2
Point 2 -5 -2 -4
Point 3 -2 -1 -1
Point 4 0 -1 -1
Point 5 0 0 0
Point 6 0 0 0
Point 7 5 5 2
Point 8 -2 -2 -3
Point 9 Max 17 12
Point 10 0 -1 -1
moenjco likes this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #483 of 799 Old 05-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I just tested the Calman HDR calibration on my Forza Horizon 4 game...COMPLEE FAILURE, clouds are purple and green, highlights are just all sorts of false colors.

I wish I could get my money back for this horrible purchase...I am reinputting my HCFR calibrations...that's $145 and 4 hours of my life I will never get back.

Feel free to try the Calman calibration in Cinema Home, and my old HCFR HDR calibration in Cinema Pro and toggle between them.

Paul
If the 10 point is universal on all inputs and formats, what one do you recommend? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 799 Old 05-05-2019, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I tried CaptinCrunch settings today while watching various movies over Netflix. I actually really like certain aspects of these settings, but some parts I do not. Maybe someone can explain. I think these settings provide really deep blacks and good contrast. That’s what I really like about it. Definitely gives me a feeling that I’m watching this more in a movie cinema setting. The only thing I can’t get over on almost all of these recommended calibrated settings is what they do to things like the sky/sunlight. For instance, I was watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. As Indiana is driving to his father’s house after he learned he had gone missing, on my Standard mode settings I can clearly tell it’s supposed to be during the day. Maybe towards the afternoon. But still plenty of sunlight outside and sun casting into his father’s house through the windows. If I switch to Cinema Pro with CaptinCrunch’s settings, the scene now becomes more of a dusk/night scene. If I didn’t know any better I’d say as they’re in his father’s ransacked house, that the sun has now almost totally set. Completely different look to the scene.

I showed this to my wife and she agreed. I also don’t see any blue in the sky. Blue skies become more of a grayish color. I feel like all of the blue skies now turn to rainy looking skies.

I wish I could strike a balance between getting the black/contrast levels of Captin’s settings while preserving how I feel sunlight/sky color should be handled. I should be able to tell that scene is still during the day, not have it look like it’s dusk to where the sun has almost completely set. Just my opinion at least. If this is the look I want, are there any adjustments I can make off the Captin’s settings that might get what I’m looking for?

Also, when people post the color bias settings (2 point I think?), should I be changing those based on what people post, or is that based on each persons individual panel and is best left to the default settings if I don’t have calibration software? Thanks.

Hopefully I’m not offending anyone, just trying to understand more and achieve a look that I think looks good.

Last edited by bgaviator; 05-05-2019 at 07:56 PM.
post #485 of 799 Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
I tried CaptinCrunch settings today while watching various movies over Netflix. I actually really like certain aspects of these settings, but some parts I do not. Maybe someone can explain. I think these settings provide really deep blacks and good contrast. That’s what I really like about it. Definitely gives me a feeling that I’m watching this more in a movie cinema setting. The only thing I can’t get over on almost all of these recommended calibrated settings is what they do to things like the sky/sunlight. For instance, I was watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. As Indiana is driving to his father’s house after he learned he had gone missing, on my Standard mode settings I can clearly tell it’s supposed to be during the day.

I showed this to my wife and she agreed. I also don’t see any blue in the sky. Blue skies become more of a grayish color. I feel like all of the blue skies now turn to rainy looking skies.

I wish I could strike a balance between getting the black/contrast levels of Captin’s settings while preserving how I feel sunlight/sky color should be handled. I should be able to tell that scene is still during the day, not have it look like it’s dusk to where the sun has almost completely set. Just my opinion at least. If this is the look I want, are there any adjustments I can make off the Captin’s settings that might get what I’m looking for?...
The big difference between CC's settings and standard is the Gamma (-2 versus 0) and extended dynamic range (off versus medium). I like and use the Captain's 2 point settings (gain & bias). It is when you get into the 10pt gray scale that individual set differences become an issue aka real screen calibration.

Personally for HD I like a +1 Gamma and extended dynamic range set low. For DV I use the Sony defaults since that is tuned with Dolby labs for the specific video processor in the X900F.
bgaviator likes this.
post #486 of 799 Old 05-06-2019, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
I tried CaptinCrunch settings today while watching various movies over Netflix. I actually really like certain aspects of these settings, but some parts I do not. Maybe someone can explain. I think these settings provide really deep blacks and good contrast. That’s what I really like about it. Definitely gives me a feeling that I’m watching this more in a movie cinema setting. The only thing I can’t get over on almost all of these recommended calibrated settings is what they do to things like the sky/sunlight. For instance, I was watching Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. As Indiana is driving to his father’s house after he learned he had gone missing, on my Standard mode settings I can clearly tell it’s supposed to be during the day. Maybe towards the afternoon. But still plenty of sunlight outside and sun casting into his father’s house through the windows. If I switch to Cinema Pro with CaptinCrunch’s settings, the scene now becomes more of a dusk/night scene. If I didn’t know any better I’d say as they’re in his father’s ransacked house, that the sun has now almost totally set. Completely different look to the scene.

I wish I could strike a balance between getting the black/contrast levels of Captin’s settings while preserving how I feel sunlight/sky color should be handled. I should be able to tell that scene is still during the day, not have it look like it’s dusk to where the sun has almost completely set. Just my opinion at least. If this is the look I want, are there any adjustments I can make off the Captin’s settings that might get what I’m looking for?

Also, when people post the color bias settings (2 point I think?), should I be changing those based on what people post, or is that based on each persons individual panel and is best left to the default settings if I don’t have calibration software? Thanks.

Hopefully I’m not offending anyone, just trying to understand more and achieve a look that I think looks good.
If you didn't add the 2pt colour try adding it and see if it makes a difference, as for the gamma you can raise it to your liking, as it brightens the image as a whole without effecting the other settings.

If you didn't know the "Brightness" setting on the X900F is just the backlight adjustment, while the "Black Level" is the brightness adjust.

The X900F has a history of showing light bloom into the letter box bars when watching movies in a dark enviornment, so my set is calibrated for a that. The lower gamma increases the black level and contrast while reducing the potential bloom effect, but also keeps colours looking rich and full.

Don't use Netflix as a gauge on colour or brightness, watch a Standard or HDR Blu-ray disk. Thor "Ragnarok" is a good example, watching it on Netflix vs the Blu-ray Disk is a completely different experience. Physical media wins every time!!
naustin, bgaviator and Duckbacker like this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 05-06-2019 at 11:31 AM.
post #487 of 799 Old 05-06-2019, 07:14 PM

Ok, I will get around to playing with discs later this week hopefully. I used your settings while watching Black Panther over Netflix, and I thought the scenes where he was in the ancestral world with his father with all the black and purple colors was outstanding. When he was doing the challenge for the throne on the side of the cliff though I thought the sunlight was pretty muted though and cast too much of a yellow haze, making it look like dusk. That’s the area I’d like to be able to adjust more to my liking. I’ve played with the gamma from your settings and that doesn’t seem to be fixing it. I think it’s just the way the Expert 1 and Expert 2 picture modes are making the sun/sky colors look to my eyes. If I could have the best of both worlds I’d have your settings for the dark scenes but have my Standard/neutral color scheme handle the skies. I did use the 2-point adjustments.
post #488 of 799 Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I spent more time on HCFR trying to map out the TV's 10 points against HCFR's 20 point graph...was successful, so I made some slight updates to my HDR10 Cinema Pro settings.

While double checking my results using my Sony X700 BD player and HDR10 greyscale files, I found that indeed Dolby Vision dims the entire luminance range considerably. The X700 BD player allows you to toggle DV on and off in HDR mode, so I tested 50% as well as 100% both with DV on and then off. DV off, calibrated 50% was spot on at 94nit, but with DV on that figure dropped to 60nit, a 40% reduction in brightness. 100% DV off resulted in 540nit, but when DV was activated, that too dropped to 480nit. These were both using my custom calibrated HDR10 settings, which include contrast of 91 to deal with the highlight curve.

Once I activated local dimming to high, Xtended DR to med, and contrast to Max, things changed. DV on hit exactly 94nit at 50% with all of those "features" enabled, and hit 690nit at 100%. With those features enabled, sans contrast, DV off was able to reach 770nit.

So long story short, Dolby Vision can use my calibrated HDR10 settings, but contrast must be set to Max. My calibrations seem to be dealing with the contrast in a similar fashion to how DV works, but when DV is activated, it takes over that.

See link below for updated HDR10 and Dolby Vision settings.

Can't tell you how happy I am to have come across your settings! I've had my X900F for a few weeks now and have been considering returning it for a Q8FN. The TV just didn't look that great (worked from RTINGS settings and adjusted from there). As soon as I inputted your settings in, BAM, now I get why this TV is so highly praised!

Thanks you so much for posting!

My Dolby Vision still seems super dark, though. I've read in a few other places that after updating the fw to Oreo that a factory reset did the trick... any credibility to this? I'd rather not after having finally gotten it to a place I like.

Thanks again!
post #489 of 799 Old 05-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

I'm glad they helped!!!

Make sure you have your contrast to Max and also try Xtended to high as well.

Since my calibrations start at 0 for gamma, you can slid the gamma up a few nothes until you are happy with the brightness. Moving gamma up will raise the luminance values across range, and will compensate for different HDR values the movie is presented in.
Values include max nit of 1000, 2000, 4000, and sometimes 10000.
The higher the nit value of the content, the darker your X900F will look unless you creep the gamma slider up a little. I validated my calibrations for 2000-4000 content, so may be a bit bright on 1000nit content, and a bit dark on 4000-10000nit content. This content level discrepancy is why the new Sony 2019 TV's have High and Low DV/HDR profiles, specifically because one calibration cannot possibly cover all ranges perfectly.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontog View Post
Can't tell you how happy I am to have come across your settings! I've had my X900F for a few weeks now and have been considering returning it for a Q8FN. The TV just didn't look that great (worked from RTINGS settings and adjusted from there). As soon as I inputted your settings in, BAM, now I get why this TV is so highly praised!

Thanks you so much for posting!

My Dolby Vision still seems super dark, though. I've read in a few other places that after updating the fw to Oreo that a factory reset did the trick... any credibility to this? I'd rather not after having finally gotten it to a place I like.

Thanks again!
bgaviator likes this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #490 of 799 Old 05-06-2019, 11:42 PM

I have a couple of lingering questions about the calibrated settings posted by various people and web sites. I notice lots of times certain settings that are available on the TV aren't specifically mentioned. If they are not mentioned, is it best to just assume they're supposed to be left "off"?

Also, despite trying to read on the internet about it, I still don't quite get what Cinemotion does. I've just been leaving it on High, as I read somewhere that it doesn't hurt to do so. And with Motionflow off, I haven't really been able to see any negatives with Cinemotion left on.

I am really sensitive to soap opera effect, so i have just been leaving MotionFlow off for everything. I tried putting it to True Cinema based on some settings recommendations, and the motion still looks a little weird to me at times with that engaged.
post #491 of 799 Old 05-06-2019, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Cinemotion is the feature that recovers the 24p frames from 30p, 60i, and 60p, such as broadcast or cable TV, and web streaming boxes that do not natively feed 24Hz. On my PC, when I watch cable TV, 60i over 60p HDMI, Cinemotion will cause picture glitches and skips, as it is meant to take a raw 30p/60p/60i encoded 24p source. I read on another forum MEDIUM is meant for like Netflix movies over 60p connections, maybe HIGH works best for interlaced like watchign from Cable TV box.

Paul

Quote:
I have a couple of lingering questions about the calibrated settings posted by various people and web sites. I notice lots of times certain settings that are available on the TV aren't specifically mentioned. If they are not mentioned, is it best to just assume they're supposed to be left "off"?

Also, despite trying to read on the internet about it, I still don't quite get what Cinemotion does. I've just been leaving it on High, as I read somewhere that it doesn't hurt to do so. And with Motionflow off, I haven't really been able to see any negatives with Cinemotion left on.

I am really sensitive to soap opera effect, so i have just been leaving MotionFlow off for everything. I tried putting it to True Cinema based on some settings recommendations, and the motion still looks a little weird to me at times with that engaged.
bgaviator likes this.

post #492 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

I pretty much leave Motionflow on custom and Cinemotion to off.

When I do use Cinemotion its on low, unless I'm watching something on YouTube like 4K documentaries then I will set it to medium for more SOE as it adds to the presentation.

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #493 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I usually turn both motion flow and cinemotion off with SDR. I use true cinema and cinemotion high with hdr content. Do you think is that a mistake?
post #494 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 AM

What I don’t understand is why changing the motionflow settings seems to change black levels?

Well, I finally got around to watching something on Blu-ray instead of streaming. I put in Infinity War Blu-Ray. Standard Blu-ray as I don’t have a 4K player yet. I started setting things per Paul’s and CapinCrunch’s settings. Still don’t think I see a difference playing with the calibrations on streaming vs Blu-ray.

I decided since I like the colors that Standard mode with Neutral color gave me, that I would tweak some things off that baseline. I turned brightness down to 8. Gamma to Min. Contrast Max. Black adjust and advanced contrast enhancer at Medium. Local Dimming High. Black level left at 50. Color 60. Live Color Medium. Sharpness 60. Reality creation Auto.

To me this is giving me the nice dark scene picture I enjoy with the suggested calibration settings, while preserving the colors/shades in the skies, suns, and clouds.

Keep in mind I really haven’t had time to watch anything in a pitch dark room, and I don’t have any kind of bias lighting installed yet. So I don’t know how these various picture settings will look in that environment. Right now I’m just playing around in the daytime with the blinds closed, so a little bit of natural light is still present.

For those of you that post your recommended settings, I notice some categories like black adjust or live color or extended dynamic range aren’t always mentioned. Am I to assume if it doesn’t get mentioned it’s supposed to be off...or should I assume User Preference? Thanks.

Last edited by bgaviator; 05-07-2019 at 09:11 AM.
post #495 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Only a suggestion regarding Reality Creation. If you are playing a very good quality content like a recent movie both from a disc or streaming try to set the Reality Creation to 65. Then switch between on and off and you will see the huge difference in terms of detail and sharpness. Not recommended though for low quality content. In that case it’s better off or not more than 20.
post #496 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Good deal, as stated before, posted settings are just a reference to start with, and then you tweak from there to get your perfect picture.

Motionflow settings change brightness as Smooth, Clear, and Standard adds a small amount of BFI. Custom just allows you to add the amount of BFI you want, while True Cinema and off adds no BFI at all, which makes those 2 settings the brightest
bgaviator likes this.

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #497 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 37
4K Upscaling

This is a really basic question but I won’t know the answer until I ask . I keep reading that the XBR900F has a great processor and it’s better to let it upscale tp 4K than your Reciever. So I see the setting on my Pioneer Reciever to turn the Upscaling to 4K off but I don’t see the setting on my 900F to turn Upscaling “On”. Does the 900f just automatically upscale or can someone please tell me where to turn it on?
post #498 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteNewbie View Post
This is a really basic question but I won’t know the answer until I ask . I keep reading that the XBR900F has a great processor and it’s better to let it upscale tp 4K than your Reciever. So I see the setting on my Pioneer Reciever to turn the Upscaling to 4K off but I don’t see the setting on my 900F to turn Upscaling “On”. Does the 900f just automatically upscale or can someone please tell me where to turn it on?
If you TV wasn't upscaling the image would not fill the screen.
post #499 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1879 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Cinemotion is the feature that recovers the 24p frames from 30p, 60i, and 60p, such as broadcast or cable TV, and web streaming boxes that do not natively feed 24Hz. On my PC, when I watch cable TV, 60i over 60p HDMI, Cinemotion will cause picture glitches and skips, as it is meant to take a raw 30p/60p/60i encoded 24p source. I read on another forum MEDIUM is meant for like Netflix movies over 60p connections, maybe HIGH works best for interlaced like watchign from Cable TV box.

Paul
I’ve been lurking a bit and hearing praise for your settings...is there a summary somewhere? Also I’m a little confused, are settings global on the 900f or are they independent for say HDMI 2 vs Hdmi3...ie. if I make changes to say a standard picture profile on HDMI 2 are they separate and independent for HDMI 3...Also given only 1 CMS, if a SDR setting is tweaked, does it not impact an hdr setting? Finally would you think Sony will issue a firmware update for a separate sdr/hdr CMS similar to the new 900 G? Thanks

Edit...I see the link at the bottom of your profile but would appreciate any insights into my other questions...thanks

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual SVS SB3000
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric

Last edited by asharma; 05-07-2019 at 06:39 PM.
post #500 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

The ONLY settings that are retained across any and all inputs and modes, are the 10 point advanced white balance OFF-SET numbers. The 2 point Gain and Bias, and all other settings, are independent for every input. If you set Expert 1 to HDMI 1 and 2, the 10 point will stay the same, but you need to enter Bias and Gain numbers for each input you use that is matched to Expert 1, 2 Warm etc.

The CMS is fixed, but this Sony does an amazing job of providing us with 1.0dE or less color error once properly calibrated...I think I even got 1.0dE on my HDR calibration for color accuracy. I don't see Sony adding any changes to the CMS, the extra DV Bright DV dark profiles and CMS are reserved for newer TV's and older more expensive TV's. For HDR white balance, with a MaxCLL target of 1000nit, my calibration achieves 0.52dE, which is really good considering there is a large dE error at the luminance rolloff on the X900F. With 4000nit I think it's around 0.96dE...again, the rolloff point error.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
I’ve been lurking a bit and hearing praise for your settings...is there a summary somewhere? Also I’m a little confused, are settings global on the 900f or are they independent for say HDMI 2 vs Hdmi3...ie. if I make changes to say a standard picture profile on HDMI 2 are they separate and independent for HDMI 3...Also given only 1 CMS, if a SDR setting is tweaked, does it not impact an hdr setting? Finally would you think Sony will issue a firmware update for a separate sdr/hdr CMS similar to the new 900 G? Thanks

Edit...I see the link at the bottom of your profile but would appreciate any insights into my other questions...thanks
CaptinCrunch and asharma like this.

post #501 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
If you TV wasn't upscaling the image would not fill the screen.
Upscaling to 4K?
post #502 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok so I see you set your brightness to 3. When I set mine to 3 it is just too dark for my room. Is there a reason for the low setting?
post #503 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The ONLY settings that are retained across any and all inputs and modes, are the 10 point advanced white balance OFF-SET numbers. The 2 point Gain and Bias, and all other settings, are independent for every input. If you set Expert 1 to HDMI 1 and 2, the 10 point will stay the same, but you need to enter Bias and Gain numbers for each input you use that is matched to Expert 1, 2 Warm etc.

The CMS is fixed, but this Sony does an amazing job of providing us with 1.0dE or less color error once properly calibrated...I think I even got 1.0dE on my HDR calibration for color accuracy. I don't see Sony adding any changes to the CMS, the extra DV Bright DV dark profiles and CMS are reserved for newer TV's and older more expensive TV's. For HDR white balance, with a MaxCLL target of 1000nit, my calibration achieves 0.52dE, which is really good considering there is a large dE error at the luminance rolloff on the X900F. With 4000nit I think it's around 0.96dE...again, the rolloff point error.

Paul
Thanks, given that I watch live Sports and 4K HDR movies does it make sense to have an SDR/Sports calibration for say HDMI 2 and a 4k hdr calibration for HDMI 3 or is it better to calibrate for all under 1 HDMI input only but use different picture modes?

post #504 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

As long as you enter the settings into each input, the only thing you need to figure out is which mode for each setting you want to be your SDR, your HDR, and your sports. Some of the color modes do have built in "effects" that cannot be turned off or accessed by the settings menu...color temps such as warm, cool, and neutral, are skewed to higher color temps at all 0 settings. I would probably recommend Cinema Pro/Expert 1 for HDR, then Cinema Home/Expert 2 for SDR, then Custom/Expert 2 with your favorite motion settings for sport. I have not tried the Sports mode, so I am not sure how well that profile would work with the calibrations for Cinema, as the Cinema and Custom color might be different from the Sports mode. I know Game and Graphics are pretty much the same as Cinema color wise.

Paul

Quote:
Thanks, given that I watch live Sports and 4K HDR movies does it make sense to have an SDR/Sports calibration for say HDMI 2 and a 4k hdr calibration for HDMI 3 or is it better to calibrate for all under 1 HDMI input only but use different picture modes?
asharma likes this.

post #505 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

3 = 100cd/m, and 100cd/m is the luminance level content producers use. It's not so important to keep yours at 3, 100cd/m is just the standard for calibrating, as it produces a more consistent baseline reference. Increase brightness to your liking, the white balance will not change.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by charden37 View Post
Ok so I see you set your brightness to 3. When I set mine to 3 it is just too dark for my room. Is there a reason for the low setting?

post #506 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As long as you enter the settings into each input, the only thing you need to figure out is which mode for each setting you want to be your SDR, your HDR, and your sports. Some of the color modes do have built in "effects" that cannot be turned off or accessed by the settings menu...color temps such as warm, cool, and neutral, are skewed to higher color temps at all 0 settings. I would probably recommend Cinema Pro/Expert 1 for HDR, then Cinema Home/Expert 2 for SDR, then Custom/Expert 2 with your favorite motion settings for sport. I have not tried the Sports mode, so I am not sure how well that profile would work with the calibrations for Cinema, as the Cinema and Custom color might be different from the Sports mode. I know Game and Graphics are pretty much the same as Cinema color wise.

Paul
Thanks again, isn’t there an efficiency benefit to having sdr for say hdmi1, hdr for say hdmi2, and sports for HDMI 3?that way I simply switch HDMI inputs depending on content instead of switching to different picture modes within a single HDMI input...

Edit: just reread your post...sounds like u recommending 3 different inputs and then determine the best picture mode settings per HDMI input. Correct?

post #507 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Sony(and all other 4K TVs) by the very design automatically upscales all signals which are not 2160p. You don't have to turn it on. It only runs at one resolution--3820x2160. So, when you turn the upscaling off in Pioneer, it sends 720p or 1080p signals(may be others too) which are automatically upscaled to 2160p before they appear as picture on the screen.
post #508 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

NEGATIVE, you can duplicate all the settings into EACH INPUT, they will all be available as options under ALL INPUTS.

When you switch inputs, the last picture mode selected will still be there when you go back to it, so if HDMI 1 is always your HDR source, it will stay on the mode, if HDMI 2 is always sports, it will always be on your sports picture mode when you switch to HDMI 2, but you can always change picture modes while in any HDMI to any other picture mode.

Paul

Quote:
Thanks again, isn’t there an efficiency benefit to having sdr for say hdmi1, hdr for say hdmi2, and sports for HDMI 3?that way I simply switch HDMI inputs depending on content instead of switching to different picture modes within a single HDMI input...

Edit: just reread your post...sounds like u recommending 3 different inputs and then determine the best picture mode settings per HDMI input. Correct?
asharma likes this.

post #509 of 799 Old 05-07-2019, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Upscaling to 4K?
Correct.
post #510 of 799 Old 05-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys i have two sets on the house,one is a mid range 2015 50" Samsung tv (with purecolor and wide gamut on) and my 55" X900F.I want to get as close to Samsung colors as possible with my x900f...I got used of Samsung Tvs and i like the colors better...Is it possible to replicate the colors on our X900f?X900f has a wider color gamut than the older Samsung,but the colors in general look more rich in my eyes on the Samsung (especially when gaming)...Any help would be appreciated,especially from anyone that has them both and can compare.

PS:Samsung colors seem to be close to Sonys adobe RGB option...not quite but close.But this doesnt apply on regular Tv tho.

Last edited by Thanasis Xrisatzas; 05-08-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page