2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 273Likes

post #601 of 737 Old 06-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackFan View Post
Maybe a stupid question...

How do I set the picture mode to HDR10 to adjust those settings? If it helps, I have an Apple TV 4k and a Sony UBP-X700. I realize I can set the Dolby Vison settings by turning on Dobly Vision on the Apple TV...

Thanks.
you need to watch something that's in HDR, the TV will auto go into that mode, then you can set the basic settings using Colour Temp "Expert 1"

When the TV is displaying HDR content, it will have the HDR tag when you access the picture settings.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 737 Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes - but is HDR necessarily HDR10? Aren't there different types?
post #603 of 737 Old 06-04-2019, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 1526
Quote:

He's saying play HDR10 content to trigger the HDR10 settings (which the 900F picture settings will display as "HDR"). Similarly, play Dolby Vision content to trigger the Dolby Vision settings (for DV, the 900F picture settings will report "Dolby Vision" instead of "HDR"). You could also force DV using your Apple TV but this isn't recommended for other reasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 737 Old 06-04-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone recommend some easily accessible HDR10 content?

I was going to play Die Hard UHD on my player, but I have no idea if it is HDR10.

Last edited by PackFan; 06-04-2019 at 01:16 PM.
post #605 of 737 Old 06-04-2019, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can anyone recommend some easily accessible HDR10 content?

I was going to play Die Hard UHD on my player, but I have no idea if it is HDR10.
HDR channel on the internal Youtube app.
post #606 of 737 Old 06-04-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Yes, but generic HDR is actually HDR10. New more advanced types of HDR such as Dolby Vision or HDR10+ will be identified as such (99 x out of a 100).
post #607 of 737 Old 06-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
There is standard HDR10, then Dolby Vision, then HDR10+, which is the open source Dolby Vision competition, and HLG, which is found in many consumer and professional video/still cameras and has a 1000nit max luminance level. You can manually select HDR10 or HLG, but DV requires viewing DV to trigger access to the settings...all three display "HDR". The X900F cannot do HDR10+.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #608 of 737 Old 06-07-2019, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

Firstly I would to thank everyone that contributed with their settings. It helped me massively! I had some issues in the beginning but there is still one thing I haven't found a cure for and that is HDR Gaming settings for my PS4 Pro. I come from a Samsung 65JU7005 and never had any issues with the PS4 while playing Call of Duty WW2. When I play on my new 75XF9005 the controls feels a bit sluggish and not as near precise as before. I haven't changed any setting on the PS4 or in the game. The video output setting on the PS4 is set to auto and the game plays in 2160p - RGB. I wouldn't call it a lag but it's the closest word I can come up with. I've been playing around with the settings but can't find the right one. I used to be pretty decent on this game but with this tv I'm below average at the moment. I'm far from an expert and hope that one of you have a cure for this. Also, what are the settings for the lowest possible input lag in 4K? I've seen different ones and figured that the best would be to turn off everything that can be turned off basically.

My current settings are:
Game mode
Light Sensor: Off
Black adjust: Off
Adv contrast enhancer: Off
Auto local dimming: Medium
X-tended Dynamic range: Medium
Live colour: Off
Reality creation: Off
Smooth gradation: Off
Motionflow: Off

So basically everything is off. Mighty grateful for any input on this.
post #609 of 737 Old 06-07-2019, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

If you are outputting RGB out of the PS4, then you are not getting 10 bit HDR, should use 10 bit Ycbcr limited for HDR.

Have you made sure everything is turned off on your GPU control panel...noise reduction, edge enhancement etc???

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Schoultze View Post
Hi,

Firstly I would to thank everyone that contributed with their settings. It helped me massively! I had some issues in the beginning but there is still one thing I haven't found a cure for and that is HDR Gaming settings for my PS4 Pro. I come from a Samsung 65JU7005 and never had any issues with the PS4 while playing Call of Duty WW2. When I play on my new 75XF9005 the controls feels a bit sluggish and not as near precise as before. I haven't changed any setting on the PS4 or in the game. The video output setting on the PS4 is set to auto and the game plays in 2160p - RGB. I wouldn't call it a lag but it's the closest word I can come up with. I've been playing around with the settings but can't find the right one. I used to be pretty decent on this game but with this tv I'm below average at the moment. I'm far from an expert and hope that one of you have a cure for this. Also, what are the settings for the lowest possible input lag in 4K? I've seen different ones and figured that the best would be to turn off everything that can be turned off basically.

My current settings are:
Game mode
Light Sensor: Off
Black adjust: Off
Adv contrast enhancer: Off
Auto local dimming: Medium
X-tended Dynamic range: Medium
Live colour: Off
Reality creation: Off
Smooth gradation: Off
Motionflow: Off

So basically everything is off. Mighty grateful for any input on this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #610 of 737 Old 06-07-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
If you are outputting RGB out of the PS4, then you are not getting 10 bit HDR, should use 10 bit Ycbcr limited for HDR.

Have you made sure everything is turned off on your GPU control panel...noise reduction, edge enhancement etc???

Paul
Thank you for your input and help!
I changed the RGB range setting on the PS4 from auto to limited and the controls already feels a little bit better. Just curious but is this something that my old Samsung handled automatically and with the Sony you have to choose the specific setting? .

Under video options on the Tv all three are set to auto (HDR mode, HDMI video range & Colour space). Should I leave them like that or should I change the HDMI video range to limited as well?

This could be the dumbest question ever but where do I find the GPU control panel on the Tv? I can't find the settings you are mentioning.
post #611 of 737 Old 06-07-2019, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for your input and help!
I changed the RGB range setting on the PS4 from auto to limited and the controls already feels a little bit better. Just curious but is this something that my old Samsung handled automatically and with the Sony you have to choose the specific setting? .

Under video options on the Tv all three are set to auto (HDR mode, HDMI video range & Colour space). Should I leave them like that or should I change the HDMI video range to limited as well?

This could be the dumbest question ever but where do I find the GPU control panel on the Tv? I can't find the settings you are mentioning.
RGB doesn't have the bandwidth to support 10 bit at 4K, and HDR is encoded in Ycbcr...the whole concept of limited and full is an 8 bit world thing, and trying to shove HDR10 across RGB is basically another conversion that probably adds to processing delays.

The AUTO settings are fine, they should only be messed with for very special and specific things, like trying to get bit accurate levels from PC video at full HDMI with TV set to limited.

And ignore the GPU controls, that was for PC, I forgot you were on a PS4.

Paul

post #612 of 737 Old 06-07-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
RGB doesn't have the bandwidth to support 10 bit at 4K, and HDR is encoded in Ycbcr...the whole concept of limited and full is an 8 bit world thing, and trying to shove HDR10 across RGB is basically another conversion that probably adds to processing delays.

The AUTO settings are fine, they should only be messed with for very special and specific things, like trying to get bit accurate levels from PC video at full HDMI with TV set to limited.

Paul
Ok, thank you for explaining the matter to me. I really appreciate the feedback and the help! Now I'm gonna calibrate the 10-point according to your settings so the picture looks perfect as well.

Any other things I could do to lower input lag or is it at the lowest already?
post #613 of 737 Old 06-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What Motionflow and Cinemotion settings would you recommend for watching movies? Thanks!
post #614 of 737 Old 06-08-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Ok, thank you for explaining the matter to me. I really appreciate the feedback and the help! Now I'm gonna calibrate the 10-point according to your settings so the picture looks perfect as well.

Any other things I could do to lower input lag or is it at the lowest already?
I changed the video output setting on the PS4 to 2160p - YUV420 and now the controls feels exactly the same as it did on my old samsung tv. Smooth and precise Thank you Anderegg for pointing me in the right direction
post #615 of 737 Old 06-08-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveyourcar View Post
What Motionflow and Cinemotion settings would you recommend for watching movies? Thanks!
I use motionflow set to TrueCinema and Cinemotion set to High.
post #616 of 737 Old 06-08-2019, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Custom-3.
post #617 of 737 Old 06-09-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
Quote:
I use motionflow set to TrueCinema and Cinemotion set to High.
Thank you. I'll try it because I want to avoid the soap opera effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post
Custom-3.
Custom 3 for smoothness? What about clearness? Do you find it better that True Cinema? Why?
post #618 of 737 Old 06-09-2019, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Well I finally broke down and picked up a XBR75X900F. Very happy with it so far but I do have a few issues:

1. Sometimes I listen on my bluetooth headphones. With my old setup I connected through my fire box but when I tried to connect I get a message it was connected but no sound. When I try connecting to the TV its the same deal, no sound. Ideas?

2. Is there a way to access the OTA signal strength details like the older Sony sets had? I looked everywhere and couldnt find it.

Thanks!
post #619 of 737 Old 06-09-2019, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This is driving me crazy on my 900f (55”)! When I try to watch a DVD, even one that is labeled ‘Full Screen Format’, it appears onscreen with black bars on each side. I am using a Sony x700 player. It is connected to my Pioneer lx103 which is connected by hdmi to the tv. I have tried the Wide mode on the tv remote and going into the settings to try to find where to change the aspect ratio. Everywhere I try, I get an onscreen msg saying :feature not available’. What am I (noob) doing wrong?
post #620 of 737 Old 06-09-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Custom 3 for smoothness? What about clearness? Do you find it better that True Cinema? Why?
Clearness leads to low PWM freaquency. It is unwatchable for me cause i'm sensitive to flicker. True Cinema is shy in removing blur and dynamic resolution suffers.
post #621 of 737 Old 06-09-2019, 08:45 PM
DrA
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Paul
Every time I watch non-DV content from Apple TV DV logo stays on. Is this recommended? Watching hockey and shadow details are excellent but the color is off and picture is dim. Can it only turn on only when there is DV content?

Improvise, adapt to the environment, Darwin, **** happens, I Ching.
post #622 of 737 Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteNewbie View Post
This is driving me crazy on my 900f (55”)! When I try to watch a DVD, even one that is labeled ‘Full Screen Format’, it appears onscreen with black bars on each side. I am using a Sony x700 player. It is connected to my Pioneer lx103 which is connected by hdmi to the tv. I have tried the Wide mode on the tv remote and going into the settings to try to find where to change the aspect ratio. Everywhere I try, I get an onscreen msg saying :feature not available’. What am I (noob) doing wrong?
Have you tried the display settings within the X700 menu? I saw crop/zoom etc DVD section last night while messing around with my X700.

Quote:
Clearness leads to low PWM freaquency. It is unwatchable for me cause i'm sensitive to flicker. True Cinema is shy in removing blur and dynamic resolution suffers.
I can typically get through a full length movie before my eyes start to bleed...if you can move your eyes around and the TV strobes a bit, then you will get annoyed by the flicker soon after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post
Every time I watch non-DV content from Apple TV DV logo stays on. Is this recommended? Watching hockey and shadow details are excellent but the color is off and picture is dim. Can it only turn on only when there is DV content?
Always recommended to turn off DV unless watching DV. These days DV is like 4:3 stretch, where 4:3 content was auto stretched to 16:9 turning heads into eggs...today they do that with SDR to DV, it's annoying and "wrong" :-P

Paul
DrA likes this.

post #623 of 737 Old 06-09-2019, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrA View Post
Set your ATV4K to 4K SDR with matching frame rate and matching range both turned on. The matching range feature will output HDR10/Dolby Vision as applicable.
DrA and naustin like this.
post #624 of 737 Old 06-10-2019, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I changed the video output setting on the PS4 to 2160p - YUV420 and now the controls feels exactly the same as it did on my old samsung tv. Smooth and precise Thank you Anderegg for pointing me in the right direction
Unless I'm missing something here its not necessary to adjust that automatically...The ps4 pro does that just by setting it to automatic...Just tested here by pausing the game and going back to the settings and It even says "due to hdmi 2.0 limitations, it will use yuv420 when playing HDR 60hz games".
post #625 of 737 Old 06-10-2019, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio Oliveira View Post
Unless I'm missing something here its not necessary to adjust that automatically...The ps4 pro does that just by setting it to automatic...Just tested here by pausing the game and going back to the settings and It even says "due to hdmi 2.0 limitations, it will use yuv420 when playing HDR 60hz games".
Sorry, I meant " adjust manually"in the first line.
post #626 of 737 Old 06-10-2019, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Can someone tell me about Reality Creation setting? I had everything set to Manual and 65. But I’m not sure if that’s good to do or not. I’m just trying to find a setting that works with everything for the most part. Or should I just set it to Auto? Thanks.
post #627 of 737 Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
Can someone tell me about Reality Creation setting? I had everything set to Manual and 65. But I’m not sure if that’s good to do or not. I’m just trying to find a setting that works with everything for the most part. Or should I just set it to Auto? Thanks.
May be you should decide for yourself with your own eyes? Mild sharpening. I think 50 is enough.
post #628 of 737 Old 06-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
Shapness - 50 is a pretty good setting, as it creates a detailed image without over processing. 54 is as far as I can push the sharpness before adding in artificial data to make the image seem sharper.

Reality Creation - adjust the fineness of the image "cleans it up" Setting this to auto lets the processor make adjustments based on sceen to sceen content. Manual setting is preference, I like a combo of the
two @ 54/35 for OTA HD, for movies 50/25 due to the 4K upscaling of the image.

IT doesnt hurt to leave RC off and just set sharpness to 50-54 range
mhyatt5871 likes this.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 06-10-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #629 of 737 Old 06-10-2019, 06:24 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Custom-3.
Do you use that setting for sports as well?
post #630 of 737 Old 06-13-2019, 02:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Reality Creation settings should be proportional to the quality of the content. The higher is the quality the more you can push up the RC til a limit and ideal point of 67-68. With low quality content is better AUTO or off. For instance with recent movies you can set it at 68 and enjoy a super crispy image with old movies or low resolution the RC would add digital noise.You can also use it with 4k contents setting it to 65. I am reporting my experience with RC from Sony 4k projectors and I see that tv works basically in the same way.
naustin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page