2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 270Likes

post #631 of 667 Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I find the exact opposite to be true. I use Windows Media Center HTPC, and 1080 interlaced content, inverse telecined and deinterlaced, gets bumped down to around 540p, so I currently have RC cranked up to 50 to make it look "right". By "right" I mean the same detail and sharpness as my 1080 24p BluRays with detail at 50 and RC OFF. RC 50 also makes 720p60 TV content look less blurry on the 4K screen.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp1974 View Post
Reality Creation settings should be proportional to the quality of the content. The higher is the quality the more you can push up the RC til a limit and ideal point of 67-68. With low quality content is better AUTO or off. For instance with recent movies you can set it at 68 and enjoy a super crispy image with old movies or low resolution the RC would add digital noise.You can also use it with 4k contents setting it to 65. I am reporting my experience with RC from Sony 4k projectors and I see that tv works basically in the same way.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 667 Old 06-15-2019, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 41
So I’ve been trying to watch various movies with the Cinema Pro settings tweaks given to me. One thing I notice with this tv is that in some darker scenes there can often times be what I perceive to be a haze to the image. Is this due to the limited number of zones on this tv, especially at my 75” size...trying to merge dark areas with areas that are lit by say a lamp in the scene? It’s not super bad, but enough to notice and make me think I need to tweak something more. Is this where maybe having bias lighting behind the tv could help? I was watching in a pitch dark room.

Additionally, do people tend to have different settings depending on the particular film they are watching? I’ve been going through different movies both on cable and through Netflix. Sometimes I feel that the Cinema Pro calibrated settings don’t necessarily work for every movie. Watching Titanic on tv today, the Cinema Pro setting with the tweaks I was provided seemed perfect! However, The Godfather II was on today, and with Cinema Pro everything seemed overly yellow and greenish to me.
While watching Captain America 1 over Netflix, I felt I had to bump up the color setting to 60 to make out differentiating colors in the recruiting station scene at the Stark Expo. If I didn’t bump the color up and just left it on 50...all the colors in that scene seemed to be about the same. Bumping it slightly up to 60 I was now able to make out enough color differences in the posters that were in the scene. Just some observations I’ve noticed as I’ve been trying to get used to Cinema Pro more.
post #633 of 667 Old 06-17-2019, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Do I have to plug in my Ps4 to either HDMI 2 or 3 to be able to get a 4k resolution? I have the ATV in HDMI 2 and my soundbar in HDMI 3 ARC and since my soundbar has no HDMI inputs and I felt that I don't always get the right sound format when using the optical cable I have now changed the PS4 to HDMI 1 but I only seem to get 1080P from that. Have I missed something? If not, any tips on a good (cheap) hdmi switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 667 Old 06-17-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Schoultze View Post
Ok, thank you for explaining the matter to me. I really appreciate the feedback and the help! Now I'm gonna calibrate the 10-point according to your settings so the picture looks perfect as well.

Any other things I could do to lower input lag or is it at the lowest already?
Quote:
Do I have to plug in my Ps4 to either HDMI 2 or 3 to be able to get a 4k resolution? I have the ATV in HDMI 2 and my soundbar in HDMI 3 ARC and since my soundbar has no HDMI inputs and I felt that I don't always get the right sound format when using the optical cable I have now changed the PS4 to HDMI 1 but I only seem to get 1080P from that. Have I missed something? If not, any tips on a good (cheap) hdmi switch?
I should clarify that while having the ps4 connected to HDMI one it lets me select the option 4k YUV 420, which is the one I want to use but the output is still 1080p
post #635 of 667 Old 06-17-2019, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, thank you for explaining the matter to me. I really appreciate the feedback and the help! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] Now I'm gonna calibrate the 10-point according to your settings so the picture looks perfect as well.

Any other things I could do to lower input lag or is it at the lowest already?
Quote:
I should clarify that while having the ps4 connected to HDMI one it lets me select the option 4k YUV 420, which is the one I want to use but the output is still 1080p [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

ONLY hdmi 2 and 3 has the Hdr. So you should connect atv too hdmi 1, ps4 pro = hdmi 2 and sound bar = hdmi 3.
post #636 of 667 Old 06-17-2019, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post
So I’ve been trying to watch various movies with the Cinema Pro settings tweaks given to me. One thing I notice with this tv is that in some darker scenes there can often times be what I perceive to be a haze to the image. Is this due to the limited number of zones on this tv, especially at my 75” size...trying to merge dark areas with areas that are lit by say a lamp in the scene? It’s not super bad, but enough to notice and make me think I need to tweak something more. Is this where maybe having bias lighting behind the tv could help? I was watching in a pitch dark room.

Additionally, do people tend to have different settings depending on the particular film they are watching? I’ve been going through different movies both on cable and through Netflix. Sometimes I feel that the Cinema Pro calibrated settings don’t necessarily work for every movie. Watching Titanic on tv today, the Cinema Pro setting with the tweaks I was provided seemed perfect! However, The Godfather II was on today, and with Cinema Pro everything seemed overly yellow and greenish to me.
While watching Captain America 1 over Netflix, I felt I had to bump up the color setting to 60 to make out differentiating colors in the recruiting station scene at the Stark Expo. If I didn’t bump the color up and just left it on 50...all the colors in that scene seemed to be about the same. Bumping it slightly up to 60 I was now able to make out enough color differences in the posters that were in the scene. Just some observations I’ve noticed as I’ve been trying to get used to Cinema Pro more.
"Is this where maybe having bias lighting behind the tv could help?" Yes, it does make a difference. You can test this by putting a small lamp in the center behind the TV, if the lamp has 3 brightness settings use the middle first.

"do people tend to have different settings depending on the particular film they are watching?" No, not on a per movie bases, too much jacking with the settings.

More times than not the differences are in the source, not the settings.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 / PB-2000
post #637 of 667 Old 06-17-2019, 06:06 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Silly question: how do I know I'm watching HDR? The Sony website states to press 'Display' but I don't see HDR anywhere. Tried the Youtube 4K HDR channel (build-in version). I also have Enhanced Mode enabled and am using HDMI3.
post #638 of 667 Old 06-17-2019, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Action menu button>picture adjustments. It will show on this screen.

Spoiler!
post #639 of 667 Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdd136 View Post
ONLY hdmi 2 and 3 has the Hdr. So you should connect atv too hdmi 1, ps4 pro = hdmi 2 and sound bar = hdmi 3.
So there is only two hdmi ports that can display 4K? That's horrible, especially since one of them is the ARC.
Since I use the ATV for all my 4K movies it seems that I need a HDMI switch then? Does anyone know any good a cheap hdmi switch with audio passthrough that would solve this problem?
post #640 of 667 Old 06-18-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

All 4 support 4K, only 2 support HDR. Check your manual.

Spoiler!
post #641 of 667 Old 06-18-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked: 1388
Quote:
So there is only two hdmi ports that can display 4K? That's horrible, especially since one of them is the ARC.
Since I use the ATV for all my 4K movies it seems that I need a HDMI switch then? Does anyone know any good a cheap hdmi switch with audio passthrough that would solve this problem?
Lot of confusion on this. All 4 HDMI inputs support 4K HDR, but HDMI 1, 4 are limited to 10 Gb/s. Which mainly limit them from being used for PC gaming ([email protected] 4:4:4 picture)
post #642 of 667 Old 06-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Lot of confusion on this. All 4 HDMI inputs support 4K HDR, but HDMI 1, 4 are limited to 10 Gb/s. Which mainly limit them from being used for PC gaming ([email protected] 4:4:4 picture)
That's what I thought as well. That they all supported 4K but that HDMI 2 & 3 was better to put it simply. Why is it then that I have the option to chose 4K YUV 420 on my PS4 Pro but when starting a game it goes back to 1080P? Clearly there must be something that I don't understand.
post #643 of 667 Old 06-18-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's what I thought as well. That they all supported 4K but that HDMI 2 & 3 was better to put it simply. Why is it then that I have the option to chose 4K YUV 420 on my PS4 Pro but when starting a game it goes back to 1080P? Clearly there must be something that I don't understand.
Which input are you using for the PS4 Pro when this happens? Might be a cable issue. @Cheddarhead can probably chime in and explain.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 06-18-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #644 of 667 Old 06-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
post #645 of 667 Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Which input are you using for the PS4 Pro when this happens? Might be a cable issue. @Cheddarhead can probably chime in and explain.
I'm using HDMI 1 when this happens and I'm using the original PS4 pro HDMI cable.
post #646 of 667 Old 06-19-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I'm using HDMI 1 when this happens and I'm using the original PS4 pro HDMI cable.
I had to get a proper 4K premium cable before PS4 pro reliably did the correct resolutions. Sometimes the display went black if it failed to negotiate.
post #647 of 667 Old 06-19-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffo11 View Post

I had to get a proper 4K premium cable before PS4 pro reliably did the correct resolutions. Sometimes the display went black if it failed to negotiate.
What HDMI input are you using? When i use HDMI 2 or 3 it works with the original cable.
post #648 of 667 Old 06-19-2019, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
Action menu button>picture adjustments. It will show on this screen.
Where?

After I click picture adjustments...All I see is options to change different kinds of settings
post #649 of 667 Old 06-19-2019, 06:07 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by draxinum View Post
Where?

After I click picture adjustments...All I see is options to change different kinds of settings

I don't see it either.
post #650 of 667 Old 06-19-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I don't see it either.
If you are watching something that is HDR it shows the HDR logo on top right in the Picture Adjustments menu....

Watching a 4K HDR Blu-ray is looks something like this
Picture adjustments
HDMI2_________________HDR

Watching a 4K HDR YouTube video is looks something like this
Picture adjustments
Apps(Video)_____________HDR

If HDR doesn't show up then you are not watching HDR content.
CaptinCrunch likes this.

Sony XBR-55X900F, Sony UBP-X700, Yamaha YAS-207, PS3
Sharp LC-42D72U (overdue for replacement), Sony BDP-S570, Denon AVR-989, CM-7000PAL, PS4
Samsung UN46C6300 (retired to home office), Samsung BD-D6500, Sony BDP-S5100, PS3, PSTV

Last edited by jimhenryatgmail; 06-19-2019 at 07:09 PM.
post #651 of 667 Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhenryatgmail View Post
If you are watching something that is HDR it shows the HDR logo on top right in the Picture Adjustments menu....

Watching a 4K HDR Blu-ray is looks something like this
Picture adjustments
HDMI2_________________HDR

Watching a 4K HDR YouTube video is looks something like this
Picture adjustments
Apps(Video)_____________HDR

If HDR doesn't show up then you are not watching HDR content.
You sure about that? I recall another user saying this function ONLY works on SOME HDMI inputs. If you are using HDMI 3 and ARC it will not show HDR. I never see the HDR logo either. I ONLY use HDMI 3.

Thought I was going nuts....check out the "OWNERS THREAD (NO PRICE TALK)". Post 8883

Sony XBR 85 900F
Sony STR DN1080
TI 85 Calculator with Snake

Last edited by Michael Carton; 06-20-2019 at 06:44 AM.
post #652 of 667 Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m using HDMI 3 and the HDR shows when the program is HDR. It also shows when it is DV.

Spoiler!
post #653 of 667 Old 06-21-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Newer movies are graded to BT1886, older ones, are not. New calibrations are for BT1886.

As for Marvel movies, there is a good YouTube video explaining why Marvel movies look colorless and washed out...it starts with them grading with an elevated black level...if you lower the black level, it helps a lot and brings the colors back to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post

fgsouza likes this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #654 of 667 Old 06-23-2019, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I keep thinking Cinema Pro will be best but it looks to punchy in the whites...
post #655 of 667 Old 06-23-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
I’m using HDMI 3 and the HDR shows when the program is HDR. It also shows when it is DV.
Might be better to post in the x900f thread. This thread is going off topic. This is for Settings not general questions on the x900f

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #656 of 667 Old 06-24-2019, 03:20 PM

I'm going crazy here trying to find picture settings for watching football (soccer) on my Tivo (cable tv via hdmi). The players looks blurry on the pitch both when standing still and in movement. The movement of the ball looks alright so I don't think it's a motion issue When it's zoomed in (replays etc) it looks perfect but in the normal view the players look blurry. The Tivo output is 1080i and I've tried many settings from this forum but I can't get it right. Since 90% of what I watch on the Tivo is football you can understand my frustration. Tried tweaking by lowering the contrast and increasing the sharpness and it helped a little but that created other unwanted things. Would be grateful for anyone posting their settings for football on cable tv.
post #657 of 667 Old 06-24-2019, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm going crazy here trying to find picture settings for watching football (soccer) on my Tivo (cable tv via hdmi). The players looks blurry on the pitch both when standing still and in movement. The movement of the ball looks alright so I don't think it's a motion issue When it's zoomed in (replays etc) it looks perfect but in the normal view the players look blurry. The Tivo output is 1080i and I've tried many settings from this forum but I can't get it right. Since 90% of what I watch on the Tivo is football you can understand my frustration. Tried tweaking by lowering the contrast and increasing the sharpness and it helped a little but that created other unwanted things. Would be grateful for anyone posting their settings for football on cable tv.
Aside from the Tivo being set to 1080i, do you know what the native resolution is from the channel with the soccer content? 720P on my 900F looks soft
post #658 of 667 Old 06-25-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Aside from the Tivo being set to 1080i, do you know what the native resolution is from the channel with the soccer content? 720P on my 900F looks soft
The native resolution is 1080i from one of the soccer channels and 720p from the other. Typical
post #659 of 667 Old 06-25-2019, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The native resolution is 1080i from one of the soccer channels and 720p from the other. Typical
Does your Tivo have the ability to pass native resolution instead of 1080i? This would allow the 900F to do all the upscaling and you might see some improvement. The other consideration is that lower res sources are going to look worse, the larger your screensize.
post #660 of 667 Old 06-25-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
outputting a 720p source at 1080i is bad juju. I used a Tivo for several years. It supported Native, that worked well.
PlanetAVS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page