2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 283Likes

post #751 of 798 Old 08-30-2019, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
My first experience with DTV Now was that the picture was actually slightly better than my Directv satellite feed. And my satellite feed is very good. I suggest trying DTV Now and see what it looks like.
I'll have to take a look. I'm under contract until maybe February 2020 or maybe even a year after that (can't remember), so there won't be any quick solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 798 Old 08-30-2019, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMSU View Post
I'm running into the same issue. Anything streamed looks fine, but the Comcast stuff is very underwhelming, even bad at times. Played with a lot of motion settings last night and couldn't get things looking at all smooth. I've got a couple young kids and I think it's been so long since I've watched any amount of live non-cartoon TV that I didn't realize how bad things had gotten. Assuming they're just allocating more and more bandwidth to internet speeds or something. Hopefully things improve, but I almost wonder if a YouTube TV or other streaming service would actually look better. My Spartans kick off tonight on FS1 so that will give me a few hours of additional time tweaking settings to see if I can make it a bit better.
Try using the Fox Sports app instead of the Comcast feed, it will probably be much better.
post #753 of 798 Old 08-30-2019, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I just had my 900F replaced. I cannot find "Settings". When I press Home all I get is Speak and Keyboard. The rest of the top menu items are missing. How do I get to settings?

Edit: Nevermind. The new set has the older software that had a different home screen.

Jack

Last edited by JackB; 08-30-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 798 Old 08-31-2019, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello guys,

question..

i placed a lan cable to the tv for max speed for netflix and enabled settings for best rendering. so that's ok. (quality terms)

For simple HD (netflix) stuff and bluray I take HDR10 settings from Anderegg but instead of color expert 1 i'm using Neutral and then i'm using the 2. and 10. calibration settings. I'm still not getting used to the "yellower" tint, it's too much for me (perhaps because i'm colorblind). So the neutral tint is a bit more "colder".

Sharpness 60 and RC on 90. Keep in my mind i'm setting 4,2 meters away from my 55 inch. Motionflow on true cinema and cinemotion low.

So normal HD and bluray stuff are very good. Colors are also good, not really the color pop that I want but hey, it's ok.. Sharpness is also very good. (you should think that it's not 1080 but a tad more).

4k and DV

I bought myself now a Panasonic 4k bluray blayer (the cheaper ones) and a "gold" 4k hmdi cable. The settings above are applied and i've put captain marvel and Avengers Endgame. I'm actually dissapointed, I can't see anything of an improved image, also if i'm settled meter away from the tv. Sometimes i'm wondering i'm actually watching a bluray or something? Same counts for the Dolby vision (punisher or so). The quality isn't really good.. Dark, washed, and just not "sharp". If i compare it to normal HD and bluray stuff, this is actually worse.. You would think that 4k is popping and superb sharp but it looks even less good (worse) than a standard upscaled bluray?

What am I doing wrong? The 4k player says above "4k/24p" so do i need to leave motionflow off? or put cinemotion also off or high? Something wrong with the calibration? Bad HDMI cable?

Thanks guys
post #755 of 798 Old 09-03-2019, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefke_01 View Post
Hello guys,

question..

i placed a lan cable to the tv for max speed for netflix and enabled settings for best rendering. so that's ok. (quality terms)

For simple HD (netflix) stuff and bluray I take HDR10 settings from Anderegg but instead of color expert 1 i'm using Neutral and then i'm using the 2. and 10. calibration settings. I'm still not getting used to the "yellower" tint, it's too much for me (perhaps because i'm colorblind). So the neutral tint is a bit more "colder".

Sharpness 60 and RC on 90. Keep in my mind i'm setting 4,2 meters away from my 55 inch. Motionflow on true cinema and cinemotion low.

So normal HD and bluray stuff are very good. Colors are also good, not really the color pop that I want but hey, it's ok.. Sharpness is also very good. (you should think that it's not 1080 but a tad more).

4k and DV

I bought myself now a Panasonic 4k bluray blayer (the cheaper ones) and a "gold" 4k hmdi cable. The settings above are applied and i've put captain marvel and Avengers Endgame. I'm actually dissapointed, I can't see anything of an improved image, also if i'm settled meter away from the tv. Sometimes i'm wondering i'm actually watching a bluray or something? Same counts for the Dolby vision (punisher or so). The quality isn't really good.. Dark, washed, and just not "sharp". If i compare it to normal HD and bluray stuff, this is actually worse.. You would think that 4k is popping and superb sharp but it looks even less good (worse) than a standard upscaled bluray?

What am I doing wrong? The 4k player says above "4k/24p" so do i need to leave motionflow off? or put cinemotion also off or high? Something wrong with the calibration? Bad HDMI cable?

Thanks guys
Please note that not all X900F sets are compatible with Anderegg settings. When I applied his settings to my set, the picture quality actually looked worse. Try to switch to Cinema Pro picture mode, set xtended dynamic range and auto local dimming to high and see if HDR looks better or not. The default settings of Cinema Pro is actually pretty decent.
post #756 of 798 Old 09-03-2019, 03:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Marvel movies are the worst to test HDR or image quality. Endgame is HDR10 only, no DV layer, and also was rendered in 2K, with a bit too much sharpenning added on the 4K disc, so looks like sharpened 1080p. Marvel movies all have too high black levels which make things look dull and muddy.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #757 of 798 Old 09-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Try using the Fox Sports app instead of the Comcast feed, it will probably be much better.
This was a great solution. Only about a 60-90 second lag behind "live", but significantly better motion and picture quality. Sames goes for ESPN. The only drawback seems to be that it only offers 2 channel sound with the stream. Would rather have the picture quality over multi-channel, but definitely notice the difference.

Now I'm going to have to go through and see how many channels can be covered with apps and see if that 2nd comcast box is even worth it, especially once Disney+ hits in November and the kids are taken care of.
post #758 of 798 Old 09-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixDragones View Post
Please note that not all X900F sets are compatible with Anderegg settings. When I applied his settings to my set, the picture quality actually looked worse. Try to switch to Cinema Pro picture mode, set xtended dynamic range and auto local dimming to high and see if HDR looks better or not. The default settings of Cinema Pro is actually pretty decent.
I've resetted everything to standard values and ran Blacklist show (Ultra 4K HD) on Netflix. Every setting I scrolled, the faces looked fuzzy. I used Flatpanels (no HDR setting I guess?) but used the Neutral setting again and entered the 2.0 settings here. Brightness 25 instead of 15. Again, the faces looked dull (sharpness I mean, not color). So I started increasing sharpness to 60 and RC90. The faces looks crystal sharp.

However, I'm not able to use 3/1 motion settings or anything else, because when people start moving you can clearly see jagged lines, almost like the TV is not able to keep up? Am I the only one that has this? I see almost everyone using the 3/1 settings but with no complaints?

I will use the same Flatpanel settings for DV I guess or does anyone have another setting?
Question, why do most of the people lower the brightness to 3 or 15? It's so dark? You miss details and everything is dull, bland ?
post #759 of 798 Old 09-03-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefke_01 View Post
I've resetted everything to standard values and ran Blacklist show (Ultra 4K HD) on Netflix. Every setting I scrolled, the faces looked fuzzy. I used Flatpanels (no HDR setting I guess?) but used the Neutral setting again and entered the 2.0 settings here. Brightness 25 instead of 15. Again, the faces looked dull (sharpness I mean, not color). So I started increasing sharpness to 60 and RC90. The faces looks crystal sharp.

However, I'm not able to use 3/1 motion settings or anything else, because when people start moving you can clearly see jagged lines, almost like the TV is not able to keep up? Am I the only one that has this? I see almost everyone using the 3/1 settings but with no complaints?

I will use the same Flatpanel settings for DV I guess or does anyone have another setting?
Question, why do most of the people lower the brightness to 3 or 15? It's so dark? You miss details and everything is dull, bland ?
Brightness at below 15 is used only for the darkroom and when auto light sensor is off. If your room has a lot of light, you need to increase the brightness. Moreover, when auto light sensor is on, brightness at 40 is darker than brightness at 40 when it is off. For Smooth Motion I just set it as True Cinema and set Film Mode as High, if you don't like the 24p motion, you can try to set Smooth Motion as Smooth. Since your room has a lot of light, try to switch to Cinema Home picture mode and see how it goes.
post #760 of 798 Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMSU View Post
This was a great solution. Only about a 60-90 second lag behind "live", but significantly better motion and picture quality. Sames goes for ESPN. The only drawback seems to be that it only offers 2 channel sound with the stream. Would rather have the picture quality over multi-channel, but definitely notice the difference.

Now I'm going to have to go through and see how many channels can be covered with apps and see if that 2nd comcast box is even worth it, especially once Disney+ hits in November and the kids are taken care of.
Just an update (and will try not to go too off topic), but I did a hard reset of the cable box and that took care of a lot of the motion issues. Still seems like poor pq, but that may be an issue with signal strength from Comcast or something. Going to get them on the phone. The apps definitely seem like the way to go when possible though.
post #761 of 798 Old 09-17-2019, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've had my 85" x900f for a couple of weeks now. I've tried several different suggested settings, but Anderegg's settings have given me the most favorable results. I think my picture quality is much more balanced and it has reduced the amount of blooming I notice in bright HDR/Dolbyvision content.
post #762 of 798 Old 09-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Motion Question

Hi, what are the correct Motionflow settings for 24p content? am using Kodi DSplayer Madvr with a custom resolution for 23.976 and madvr stats reporting no dropped or repeated frames am but still seeing judder. Google and Reddit weren't helping me at all most of them recommending rtings settings (true cinema with cinemotion high) but that didn't change anything please someone suggest me right settings. thanks

Sony 55X900F
post #763 of 798 Old 09-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A new discovery that maybe someone can help me with...

85" X900F, Apple TV 4k, Denon 3400.

I have matching frame rate and dynamic range enabled on ATV and currently the ATV is "set" at 4k SDR. But when watching YTTV through my ATV, the Sony display shows the content at 4k... but I know YTTV on ATV is either 720p or 1080p depending on the channel. I've tried "setting" the ATV at lower resolution and/or turning the matching features on/off, but the Sony display doesn't change. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks
post #764 of 798 Old 09-17-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab3384 View Post
A new discovery that maybe someone can help me with...

85" X900F, Apple TV 4k, Denon 3400.

I have matching frame rate and dynamic range enabled on ATV and currently the ATV is "set" at 4k SDR. But when watching YTTV through my ATV, the Sony display shows the content at 4k... but I know YTTV on ATV is either 720p or 1080p depending on the channel. I've tried "setting" the ATV at lower resolution and/or turning the matching features on/off, but the Sony display doesn't change. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks
Apple TV doesn't have resolution matching, so the output resolution is always 4K even when the source video is HD. The ATV is internally upscaling to 4K.
post #765 of 798 Old 09-17-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
Apple TV doesn't have resolution matching, so the output resolution is always 4K even when the source video is HD. The ATV is internally upscaling to 4K.
Interesting... any idea why the Sony would still display 4k when I manually set the ATV output to 1080p? Does the ATV upscale regardless?

Thanks
post #766 of 798 Old 09-18-2019, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab3384 View Post
Interesting... any idea why the Sony would still display 4k when I manually set the ATV output to 1080p? Does the ATV upscale regardless?

Thanks
The 900F (like any 4K TV) will upscale non 4K content.
post #767 of 798 Old 09-24-2019, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is your Denon upscaling to 4K?
post #768 of 798 Old 10-14-2019, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all your input! I hate to be that guy, but can anyone repost the cumulative final settings from Anderegg. I mean all the possible options including the ones service to auto or off and the 10pt. I have FIOS and a PS4. Looking for one or two video profiles as I don't plan on switching around on the same input. Thanks in advance for repeating the small easy stuff along with the super detailed 10pt.
post #769 of 798 Old 10-21-2019, 07:11 PM

I tried some of the sitting here including the one from Anderegg and Captain crunch and I can not get rid of the reddish hue that dominate the picture. I have an 85 inch running the latest software. Does anyone had similar problem? Is there any fix?
post #770 of 798 Old 10-21-2019, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I have a video format question...

I know it’s best to run your cable stb in native resolution to allow the 900F to do the upscaling. I have the Fios Tv One 4K stb and the video format options are 720p, 1080i, 1080p and 2160p. There is no native option. So my question is..if I want the 900F to do the upscaling and allow the X1 Extreme chip to do its thing which video format do I set it to?

I tried switching to all to see but can’t really tell which is best..I just want to know which format to set it to to allow the tv to do the upscaling. I really haven’t heard a straight answer. I guess I can call Verizon or Sony to find out for sure. Appreciate it anyone knows. Thanks!
post #771 of 798 Old 10-30-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 32
@Anderegg : in your settings you do not mention a Game Mode. Can you update it with a game mode too ?
post #772 of 798 Old 10-30-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by -griffy- View Post
Yea, its definitely an oversight. ATV 4K upscaling is s*it compared to the Sony.
post #773 of 798 Old 10-30-2019, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 3
a pawn shop has an x900f by me for cheap, I've heard it was bad at Dolby Vision though. Is this true? I just want a TV for HDR gaming that doesn't have significant uniformity issues/motion issues.
post #774 of 798 Old 10-31-2019, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzetta View Post
a pawn shop has an x900f by me for cheap, I've heard it was bad at Dolby Vision though. Is this true? I just want a TV for HDR gaming that doesn't have significant uniformity issues/motion issues.
buy it, it is a great TV. Read here many great reviews of the 900F being a great TV
RuatoTre likes this.
post #775 of 798 Old 10-31-2019, 07:11 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghappy View Post
I tried some of the sitting here including the one from Anderegg and Captain crunch and I can not get rid of the reddish hue that dominate the picture. I have an 85 inch running the latest software. Does anyone had similar problem? Is there any fix?
Rtings fixed the red push for my TV.
post #776 of 798 Old 11-01-2019, 12:08 PM

Thanks you very much I will try their settings
post #777 of 798 Old 11-02-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 12330
@Anderegg I know you tested XDR off and got around 550 nits max, and with XDR medium/high you got around 800 nits max. What were the results with XDR on low? Just by eye using test patterns, XDR low appears to be a lot closer to the 800 nits on medium than the 550 nits on off.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #778 of 798 Old 11-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
@Anderegg I know you tested XDR off and got around 550 nits max, and with XDR medium/high you got around 800 nits max. What were the results with XDR on low? Just by eye using test patterns, XDR low appears to be a lot closer to the 800 nits on medium than the 550 nits on off.
I think it was around 650nit? "Features" like that, with several settings, would mainly be for thse with uncalibrated TV's that just adjust them until they see something they like. I was more dialing the setting to work with the calibrated gamma...hard to do on HDR since any TV that cannot handle like 4000nit is already a comprimise.

Paul
aron7awol likes this.

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #779 of 798 Old 11-02-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 435 Post(s)
Quoted: 2900 Post(s)
Liked: 12330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
I think it was around 650nit? "Features" like that, with several settings, would mainly be for thse with uncalibrated TV's that just adjust them until they see something they like. I was more dialing the setting to work with the calibrated gamma...hard to do on HDR since any TV that cannot handle like 4000nit is already a comprimise.
I hear ya, I was just considering Low as a possible compromise to reduce blooming to some extent.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #780 of 798 Old 11-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
@Anderegg : in your settings you do not mention a Game Mode. Can you update it with a game mode too ?
I use my HDR settings for HDR gaming mostly, but use my SDR 2.2 settings for SDR gaming. I just added some slightly updated 2.2 settings. I put my HDR settings into GAME mode and SDR into GRAPHICS mode. 2.2 gamma is basically "sRGB" computer monitor calibration...doesn't look as pretty for watching TV or movies as the BT.1886 settings.

SDR/HDR 2.2 Power Law gamma Calibration (generic sRGB)
Good for HDR gaming, Sports, and other Live TV content
Custom
Warm
Brightness 3 (HDR Max)
Contrast Max
Gamma 0
Black level 50
LD High
X-tended Off (HDR Medium/High)
Color 51
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain -1
G-Gain -7
B-Gain -18
R-Bias -16
G-Bias -13
B-Bias -Min

10 Point
Point 1 6 5 6
Point 2 1 0 0
Point 3 -2 -2 -2
Point 4 0 -2 -2
Point 5 -1 -1 0
Point 6 -1 -2 0
Point 7 -1 -1 0
Point 8 -1 -1 -1
Point 9 0 0 -1
Point 10 1 0 2

HDR10 (Dolby Vision set contrast to Max)
Cinema Pro
Expert 1
Brightness Max *
Contrast 92 *
Gamma 0
Black level 50
LD High *
X-tended Medium *
Color 50
Hue 0

2 Point
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -5
B-Gain -5
R-Bias -2
G-Bias 2
B-Bias -5

10 Point Expert 1
Point 1 2 0 -5
Point 2 -6 -5 -1
Point 3 -7 -7 -6
Point 4 -7 -8 -8
Point 5 -6 -4 -4
Point 6 -4 -4 -4
Point 7 0 0 0
Point 8 0 0 -4
Point 9 0 0 -2
Point 10 0 0 0

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
fgsouza likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page