2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 323Likes

post #931 of 940 Old 02-13-2020, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Anything you play on YouTube on your browser, will show up on your YouTube app under history...asuming you sign into YouTube.

Paul
I've been surprised and impressed with a lot of the youtube content, (who knew?) some of those nature flics from the "relaxation" series (channel?) are beautiful. colorful and sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 940 Old 02-13-2020, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Does anyone here not engage local dimming? The reason I'm asking is I bought my TV during during Black Friday, so the weather was cool, and so was my home. Now, it's starting to be spring here, so things are warmer, including my home. I'm guessing the changes in environmental conditions have affected my tv a bit. Basically, I'm noticing more sounds coming from it due to thermal expansion and contraction of the parts. I'm very sensitive to this, so I've been troubleshooting it. After a few pings during the initial warm up, I've noticed more pings occurring when the screen transitions from very bright to dark, and vice versa, which I've traced back to local dimming activating and changing the temperature of the unit. I also notice pings when switching from SDR content to HDR as the unit warms, and vice versa when the unit cools.

To make a long story short, I've been playing around with deactivating local dimming to avoid this quick changes in lighting and temperature. I don't notice much of a visual effect in SDR content, especially since I keep my backlight low at 10. But, with HDR content, it has a more profound effect, mainly in the letterboxes. One good thing, I suppose, is no more blooming!

Has anyone else noticed the thermal expansion and contraction sounds in their units? Am I just a cursed individual?
post #933 of 940 Old 02-15-2020, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
anyone recommend a calibration service in SW ohio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 940 Old 02-15-2020, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 321
I got my Calman Home 2019 for Sony Auto Calibration software running. I let it AutoCal bt.1886 and 2.2 gamma all by itself, takes about 3-4 minutes. The settings are below. Calman AutoCal only performs a 10 point, so that when you select the White Balance you do not need to adjust the 2 point bias and gain for every input. The results are not as super critical pretty, but for 99% of people, these should work fine and be easier to impliment and enter into their TV than the full 2 and 10 point settings, since those need to be rentered for every input and picture mode. The 2.2 gamma settings are basically what you would run with for SDR and HDR...the TV will switch to max brightness for HDR, and you would need to manually turn Xtended Dynamic Range on and off when switching between SDR and HDR (unless you want fake HDR applied to SDR, or HDR limited to 550nits). The bt.1886 is only good for SDR. The Calman Autocal settings are only valid when used in Custom pitcure mode and with Expert 1 or 2 white balance selection...sorry, Calman is very limited in how it allows Autocal to operate. These are just additional options addded to my previous well tuned settings, and are not a specific recommendation, rather alternatives.

I am also adding these to my main settings post.

CALMAN AUTOCAL BT.1886 (SDR)

Picture Mode Custom
White Balance Expert 1 or 2

Brightness 6
Contrast 90

Point 1 1 -0 -5
Point 2 -5 -6 -10
Point 3 -11 -12 -15
Point 4 -12 -15 min
Point 5 -6 -8 -10
Point 6 -6 -9 -11
Point 7 -6 -9 -12
Point 8 -5 -8 -13
Point 9 -3 -7 -13
Point 10 0 -6 -10

CALMAN AUTOCAL 2.2 POWER (SDR/HDR)

Picture Mode Custom
White Balance Expert 1 or 2

Brightness 6
Contrast 90

Point 1 -5 -6 -9
Point 2 -4 -6 -9
Point 3 -6 -7 -11
Point 4 -5 -9 -14
Point 5 -3 -5 -7
Point 6 -3 -6 -8
Point 7 -2 -6 -9
Point 8 -2 -6 -11
Point 9 -1 -5 -11
Point 10 0 -5 -9

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #935 of 940 Old 02-17-2020, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Finally I can post here something, I've been reading this thread for a while and I created an account only to post here, first of all I would like to thank you all because you really helped me and thanks to Anderegg I found the perfect settings, although I have one issue.

I applied your SDR BT.1886 2.4 gamma settings but for "Game Mode" because I own a PS4 (not Pro) and it look AMAZING in SDR content and your SDR/HDR 2.2 Power Law gamma Calibration (generic sRGB) looks amazing with HDR games (again, using Game mode), the problem starts because I cannot have both settings under the same Game Mode and PS4 switches automatically to HDR when it detects the game compatible with it.

I know that game mode also reduces the input lag, so honestly I don't want to use "Custom" or another mode for gaming, but I know I cannot have the "SDR BT.1886 2.4 gamma" and "SDR/HDR 2.2 Power Law gamma Calibration (generic sRGB)" on the same input.

What do you guys recommend? is the input lag really bad if I use the custom with Anderegg settings for SDR and I change it to Game Mode before playing anything with HDR?

Thanks a lot in advance.
post #936 of 940 Old 02-17-2020, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Well, the problem with HDR and single profiles, is that the Xtended Dynamic Range is NECESSARY for full HDR, because Sony TV's cannot pump out full LED backlight for a zone without local dimming WITH Xtended....Xtended though makes SDR look like fake HDR, so if you use one setting, expect to change at least that setting between content.

Me personally...I use my HDR Expert 1 settings for Forza in GAME mode....Nvidia set to proper 10 bit 4:2:2 4K 60Hz...for SDR gaming I use my 2.2/warm under GRAPHICS mode with 4K 60Hz 8 bit RGB full. I only do 60Hz Forza and similar, no FPS, so input lag has never been an issue I deal with.

Paul

Sony X900F SDR and HDR Calibrations https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post57551552
post #937 of 940 Old 02-17-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Well, the problem with HDR and single profiles, is that the Xtended Dynamic Range is NECESSARY for full HDR, because Sony TV's cannot pump out full LED backlight for a zone without local dimming WITH Xtended....Xtended though makes SDR look like fake HDR, so if you use one setting, expect to change at least that setting between content.

Me personally...I use my HDR Expert 1 settings for Forza in GAME mode....Nvidia set to proper 10 bit 4:2:2 4K 60Hz...for SDR gaming I use my 2.2/warm under GRAPHICS mode with 4K 60Hz 8 bit RGB full. I only do 60Hz Forza and similar, no FPS, so input lag has never been an issue I deal with.

Paul
I was making some tests using custom and geez, the amount of input lag makes it almost impossible to play online games (i.e Rocket League and Apex), so I must use Game Mode without a doubt, the thing is what to "sacrifice" because honestly I am not gonna change the 2 point and color temperature everytime I wanna change games and I use this TV only for gaming with PS4 and not PC...so yeah, I think I am pretty much f**cked hahaha
post #938 of 940 Old 02-17-2020, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariogeminis87 View Post
I was making some tests using custom and geez, the amount of input lag makes it almost impossible to play online games (i.e Rocket League and Apex), so I must use Game Mode without a doubt, the thing is what to "sacrifice" because honestly I am not gonna change the 2 point and color temperature everytime I wanna change games and I use this TV only for gaming with PS4 and not PC...so yeah, I think I am pretty much f**cked hahaha
How abou my Calman settings? At most, you would just need to toggle the white balance selector (put 2.2 in Expert 1 and 1886 in Expert 2) and Xtended Dynamic range...heck, for SDR gaming, Xtended doesn't look half bad! The Calman process is meant to simplify using the 10 oint only across all the inputs without having to mess with 2 points every time.

paul

post #939 of 940 Old Yesterday, 01:51 AM

Quote:
How abou my Calman settings? At most, you would just need to toggle the white balance selector (put 2.2 in Expert 1 and 1886 in Expert 2) and Xtended Dynamic range...heck, for SDR gaming, Xtended doesn't look half bad! The Calman process is meant to simplify using the 10 oint only across all the inputs without having to mess with 2 points every time.

paul
Will try them when I am back at home, I live in Europe so it was really late when I posted this.

Thanks a lot for your help Anderegg!
post #940 of 940 Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

Quote:

paul
Just tried them and honestly they don't look (for me at least) that good as the other ones....I guess that I would just deactivate the HDR in my PS4 and play all games without it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page