2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 337Likes

post #91 of 1036 Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Glad they worked out, when i have a few more hours to mess around, I will see about evenly raising levels across the board to improve HDR peak brightness performance. My calibrations take a lot of the peak (max) brightness out of the image for sake of getting a flat 2.2 gamma across the full range. The white balance controls on the X900F do not quite line up with the 10 points on HCFR, so it's a bit difficult.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1036 Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderegg View Post
Glad they worked out, when i have a few more hours to mess around, I will see about evenly raising levels across the board to improve HDR peak brightness performance. My calibrations take a lot of the peak (max) brightness out of the image for sake of getting a flat 2.2 gamma across the full range. The white balance controls on the X900F do not quite line up with the 10 points on HCFR, so it's a bit difficult.

Paul
HDR has changed the game when it comes to standard calibrations since it maxes out contrast, brightness, enables X-tended Dynamic range, and adv contrast enhancer on these Sonys.

Sony 75X900F / MediaLight Quad 6500K
Sony X800
Denon X4400H / Outlaw 5000 (5.2.4 Atmos) AIRCOM T9
Klipsch RF-82 II, Klipsch RC-62 II, Klipsch RS-52 II, Klipsch RP-500SA
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #93 of 1036 Old 01-14-2019, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Just because a mode came factory enabled with things like X-tended Dynamic Range, doesn't mean you should keep them enabled.
X-tended Dynamic Range is Sony's pre HDR10 standard for making SDR content look like HDR. If I showed you what it does to the gamma and calibrations, you would vomit. It is basically dynamic contrast enhancement for HDR, which is a picture "effect" and not a setting IMO. I messed with it for HDR gaming, but it just ended up blowing out the highlights too much.

Speaking of highlights, try toggling BFI (clearness max) on and off while watching HDR content with very bright highlights, like Man in the High Castle. When you lose a lot of brightness, you will magically see all the detail and highlights (clouds, overexposed windows) above the 600nit the TV is actually capable of, as they are brought down within range of the display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptinCrunch View Post
HDR has changed the game when it comes to standard calibrations since it maxes out contrast, brightness, enables X-tended Dynamic range, and adv contrast enhancer on these Sonys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1036 Old 01-14-2019, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just because a mode came factory enabled with things like X-tended Dynamic Range, doesn't mean you should keep them enabled.
X-tended Dynamic Range is Sony's pre HDR10 standard for making SDR content look like HDR. If I showed you what it does to the gamma and calibrations, you would vomit. It is basically dynamic contrast enhancement for HDR, which is a picture "effect" and not a setting IMO. I messed with it for HDR gaming, but it just ended up blowing out the highlights too much.

Speaking of highlights, try toggling BFI (clearness max) on and off while watching HDR content with very bright highlights, like Man in the High Castle. When you lose a lot of brightness, you will magically see all the detail and highlights (clouds, overexposed windows) above the 600nit the TV is actually capable of, as they are brought down within range of the display.
LOL, I have played with BFI and clearness but I'm not a big fan. I use Standard or Smooth with no cinemotion for most things. My custom setting of Smooth 4 Clearness 1 is mainly for sports over my local stations.

For HDR the only thing I use is the X-tended Dynamic range setting of medium or high with brightness and contrast maxed. HDR is still a crap shoot and i actually find the SDR versions on Blu-ray to look better. If they would just add a 4K disk without HDR instead of the SDR Blu-ray disk to the package I would be happy....lol

**UPDATE** I watched "American Made" (4K HDR) and turned off X-tended Dynamic Range, the result was a much better picture. IMO

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 x2

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 01-15-2019 at 08:52 AM.
post #95 of 1036 Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What's up all. I've tune the tv to anderegg's settings and I must say it gives the PQ depth and color that looks phenomenal. One thing I want to note as I have seen anyone talk about is the TV's lean, mounting height vs distance. I have the tv on an entertainment stand that is 27 inches tall. That gives a viewing area from bottom of screen to top at 30 in. to 62.5 in. The lean backwards is roughly 5 or so degrees (don't quote me). Now if I watch TV at night I lay on the couch and my head is at 31 inches from the floor and when I watch movies I sit up and I'm at 40 inches. What I noticed when I lay down with the tv leaning even with anderegg's setting I could see some slight blooming and a slight haze on the screen. Sitting up watching a movie wasn't as bad but certain areas I could tell ( yes my wife thinks I'm crazy constantly adjusting.). What I did since my entertainment stand is taller than average coupled with night tv watching laying down it like I'm watching a TV angled to the ceiling ( this is exaggerated but with the numbers I'm looking up at a TV aimed up). What I did which is not the end all but def makes the PQ even better is put spacers uper the back of the legs on the TV. Spacers are about .5 inches thick and angles the tv instead of a leanback of 5 or so degrees it nows angles the tv of about 5 degrees lean forward. I can def see less blooming, haze, and such.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15475289813501839797177606967497_1547528998046.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	2510904  
post #96 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked: 3252
Quote:
Here is a quick and dirty 2 point calibration for local dimming on high under Cinema Pro or Home with Expert 1 or 2 default. Resulted in 2.15 gamma with 0.8dE. Basically pulls the blue and green down and is about as good as you can get for 2 point calibration on the X900F.

R-Gain -17
G-Gain -22
B-Gain -24
R-Bias Min
G-Bias -14
B-Bias Min

I then threw a 10 point calibration on top of the already precalibrated 2 point settings above. These resulted in 2.2 gamma, 0.20dE, 4000:1 contrast (slider set to max), and 0.025cd/m black level with 100cd/m peak brightness (brightness 7). Add these to Expert 1 or 2 under the above specified Cinema Pro or Home with local dimming set to high, all other options left to default norms. Your results may not be as accurate as I achieved (per panel differences), but the stock settings are so far off that these settings should provide a better experience. After you get your TV calibrated with these settings, you can then start messing around with the effects yuo want to add to them. These are white balance/gamma/color accuracy settings.

Pt R G B (minus sign is a negative value)
1: -1 -2 -17
2: -1 0 0
3: -7 -7 -5
4: -4 -5 -6
5: -1 -2 -3
6: -1 -2 -1
7: -4 -4 -2
8: -3 -2 -2
9: -2 -2 -2
10: 0 0 0

Results from HCFR using Xrite i1D3 meter.
Tried to setup Anderegg's settings last night. Really looking forward to trying them out, especially with all the positive feedback here. Maybe I'm a dummy but how do I access the 10 point settings mentioned? I can see the 2 pt settings (called "Basic" onscreen correct?). But I can't figure out how to get into the 10 pt settings.

Also question for Anderegg, what settings are you using for cable/antenna? I've seen your other settings post for internal apps.

Thanks again for posting.
post #97 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

The settings you quoted are my HDMI settings, which I use for cable TV, my 4K BluRay player, Firestick, Chromecast Ultra etc. I use the APPS settings for all the internal apps on the TV, Netflix, Prime Video, USB playback of files.

To access 10 point, press

Action Menu
Picture Adjustments
Advanced Settings
Color (Expert 1 or 2)
Advanced Color Temperature

The Gain and Bias are the "2 point" system, meaning each color has 2 points of adjustment, the gain is bright, the bias is dark. If you scroll down to the bottom, you see MULTI POINT (10p), that is your 10 point where you enter the additional triplets of settings posted. You can add the HDMI settings to Expert 1, and the APPS settings to Expert 2. :-)

The adjustments you make in 10 point (under expert) will be retained in all modes that have Expert 1 or 2 under Color. The 2 point will have to be manually entered for each HDMI input and for APPS, separately for DV, but the 10 point, all you need to ensure is it says Expert 1 or 2 and they will be there once you've previously entered the numbers once.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Tried to setup Anderegg's settings last night. Really looking forward to trying them out, especially with all the positive feedback here. Maybe I'm a dummy but how do I access the 10 point settings mentioned? I can see the 2 pt settings (called "Basic" onscreen correct?). But I can't figure out how to get into the 10 pt settings.

Also question for Anderegg, what settings are you using for cable/antenna? I've seen your other settings post for internal apps.

post #98 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Jeff, this is just the settings thread...but here is the TILT and swivel stand I put my X900F on...I make sure it's aimed precisely even with my eyes, so you don't get gamma or contrast shifts from the VA panel. The tilt function also makes calibrating it easier as the meter hands flat against the screen :-)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2QTI0C...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5347 View Post
What's up all. I've tune the tv to anderegg's settings and I must say it gives the PQ depth and color that looks phenomenal. One thing I want to note as I have seen anyone talk about is the TV's lean, mounting height vs distance. I have the tv on an entertainment stand that is 27 inches tall. That gives a viewing area from bottom of screen to top at 30 in. to 62.5 in. The lean backwards is roughly 5 or so degrees (don't quote me). Now if I watch TV at night I lay on the couch and my head is at 31 inches from the floor and when I watch movies I sit up and I'm at 40 inches. What I noticed when I lay down with the tv leaning even with anderegg's setting I could see some slight blooming and a slight haze on the screen. Sitting up watching a movie wasn't as bad but certain areas I could tell ( yes my wife thinks I'm crazy constantly adjusting.). What I did since my entertainment stand is taller than average coupled with night tv watching laying down it like I'm watching a TV angled to the ceiling ( this is exaggerated but with the numbers I'm looking up at a TV aimed up). What I did which is not the end all but def makes the PQ even better is put spacers uper the back of the legs on the TV. Spacers are about .5 inches thick and angles the tv instead of a leanback of 5 or so degrees it nows angles the tv of about 5 degrees lean forward. I can def see less blooming, haze, and such.
post #99 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2006 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
Quote:

As I'm sure @Anderegg would tell you, 10 point settings are very panel specific, 2 point less so. They may improve your picture or not. I'm going to try his 2 point settings on my HD Sat box HDMI, it couldn't hurt much

Because these advanced settings are individual panel specific you don't see them on Cnet or Rtings.
post #100 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The settings you quoted are my HDMI settings, which I use for cable TV, my 4K BluRay player, Firestick, Chromecast Ultra etc. I use the APPS settings for all the internal apps on the TV, Netflix, Prime Video, USB playback of files.

To access 10 point, press

Action Menu
Picture Adjustments
Advanced Settings
Color (Expert 1 or 2)
Advanced Color Temperature

The Gain and Bias are the "2 point" system, meaning each color has 2 points of adjustment, the gain is bright, the bias is dark. If you scroll down to the bottom, you see MULTI POINT (10p), that is your 10 point where you enter the additional triplets of settings posted. You can add the HDMI settings to Expert 1, and the APPS settings to Expert 2. :-)

The adjustments you make in 10 point (under expert) will be retained in all modes that have Expert 1 or 2 under Color. The 2 point will have to be manually entered for each HDMI input and for APPS, separately for DV, but the 10 point, all you need to ensure is it says Expert 1 or 2 and they will be there once you've previously entered the numbers once.

Paul
I'm still not seeing how to get into the 10 points. I am just seeing one "point", offset? Here is a screenshot of my settings from within Advanced Color Temperature (with Expert 1 selected) scrolled all the way down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	900F settings screenshot.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	889.8 KB
ID:	2511202  
post #101 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 56
2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread

Quote:
I'm still not seeing how to get into the 10 points. I am just seeing one "point", offset? Here is a screenshot of my settings from within Advanced Color Temperature (with Expert 1 selected) scrolled all the way down.

Under Color gamma adjustment points you can change this from 1 to 10, 1 being 10ire and 10 being 100ire
post #102 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post
As I'm sure @Anderegg would tell you, 10 point settings are very panel specific, 2 point less so. They may improve your picture or not. I'm going to try his 2 point settings on my HD Sat box HDMI, it couldn't hurt much

Because these advanced settings are individual panel specific you don't see them on Cnet or Rtings.
Understood but can't hurt to try. They seem to work well for others
post #103 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
Under Color gamma adjustment points you can change this from 1 to 10, 1 being 10ire and 10 being 100ire
Tried that. As you can see in my pic, I changed it to 10. But still only see RGB offset as the only setting available to adjust
post #104 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Tried that. As you can see in my pic, I changed it to 10. But still only see RGB offset as the only setting available to adjust
each number is a point 1-10 with it's own RGB

R
G
B

R
G
B

and so on....

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #105 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick question,

I purchased a 75" 900f for my family room on Nov 22nd, I also ordered an 82" NU8000 for the basement.

Both were delivered on Dec 4th

However I was away for the entire month of December and the first 2 weeks of July. Got home excited to setup my televisions that came while I was away. Hooked up the NU8000 and all is good.

However I hooked up the 900F and was let down. The right side of the panel is flawless.. the Left side tho has ALOT of blooming. 2 big blobs at the top left and one at the bottom left. Of course since I was away I am well past the point of being able to take back the set and swap it...

Is this something I can make a warranty claim for? the entire reason I paid more for the smaller set was for the added uniformity of a FALD set and as it stands, while the NU8000 has some blooming I am at a loss for words that my 900F panel is worse.

Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
post #106 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naustin View Post

Correct, due to panel-variances from set to set the 2pt & 10pt white balance will never be 99% correct, but it definitely get's you in the ballpark and in most cases will be better than the default.

@Anderegg settings look great on my set, and like him I use the Cinema Pro/Expert1 for everything but the internal apps. He did a great job IMO!

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #107 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

@CollinViegas

when you say your seeing blooming what is the source your feeding the Sony? do you have auto local dimming set to HIGH? If the panel is bad you will need to contact Sony, explain your situation, they may replace the set or panel.

Try my basic settings minus the 2-10pt adv adjustments on page 2...then see if the bloom is evident from different sources, Disk player, cable/local tv, streaming service both from internal apps and connected devices.

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 x2

Last edited by CaptinCrunch; 01-15-2019 at 11:49 AM.
post #108 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
@CollinViegas

when you say your seeing blooming what is the source your feeding the Sony? do you have auto local dimming set to HIGH? If the panel is bad you will need to contact Sony, explain your situation, they may replace the set or panel. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

Try my basic settings minus the 2-10pt adv adjustments on page 2...then see if the bloom is evident from different sources, Disk player, cable/local tv, streaming service both from internal apps and connected devices.
I am only using the built in apps.. Kodi, Netflix, DAZN, YouTube...

Auto Local dimming set to high

Tried multiple settings in the 900F settings thread

Here is a picture of the right side and left side. Just taken quickly with my phone and can’t seem to capture how pronounced it actually is in real life. The blotches are extremely prominent in real life

Also a stuck green pixel but that’s to be expected I guess. But the close up of the stuck pixel shows the blotch colour difference compared to the black background.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F3D7B845-CEC3-4183-A911-9F21F077B208_1547582388716.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	2511242   Click image for larger version

Name:	C2FDA2F4-2B9B-4D6B-8C9A-8575536805A1_1547582454190.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2511244   Click image for larger version

Name:	36150DB4-B7E5-41DB-95D9-77E10D718880_1547582489569.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	2511248  
post #109 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

@CollinViegas

the splotches are pretty bad, if your watching a movie on Netflix or from a disk player and you can see the splotches in the black bars or in the movie content as well then it's a bad panel and I would contact Sony and see about getting a replacement.

Local dimming doesn't engage in some of the app menus, but once you select content to view it engages

Sony X800
SVS PB-3000 x2
post #110 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
You need to cycle through 1 through 10 in the "Color gamma adjustment points". For each of the points, adjust the offset. For example: Go to "Color gamma adjustment points", hit Select, use the left/right arrows until "1" shows up, press select. (You're now at the first of the 10 points to adjust.) Arrow down, then adjust the RGB offsets accordingly. (For example, set Red -1, Green -2, Blue -17). Then, go back to the "Color gamma..." and select "2", then make the RGB adjustments.

Hope this helps...
post #111 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
each number is a point 1-10 with it's own RGB

R
G
B

R
G
B

and so on....
Ah ok, now I get it.

Anderegg, to my earlier question about cable/antenna. I realize that you use cable via HDMI, and therefore your cable viewing is subject to the HDMI input settings. How about OTA TV? OTA TV triggers a 3rd mode called Cable/Antenna (as opposed to HDMI or Apps). What settings do you use for OTA? My Expert 1/HDMI 10 point settings did not carry over to OTA

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 01-15-2019 at 03:41 PM.
post #112 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 03:34 PM

My i1 display arrived yesterday and managed to get a calibration in late last night using HCFR. Early on I noticed trying to do a 10 point cal with local dimming on really makes it difficult to dial in setting as it does some funny things with the ire levels. Turning local dimming off and everything fell into place perfectly. It was pretty close even after a 2 point cal, then fine tuned with 10 point to get an average deltaE of 0.3 with gamma tracked perfect at 2.2.

I will share my 2 point later after work but mine were definitely not as aggressive as Andereggs. Colors were pretty close after dialing in the greyscale, a few of the secondaries were a touch off but running the HCFR color checker, the 30 colors it checks were very close.
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #113 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinViegas View Post
I am only using the built in apps.. Kodi, Netflix, DAZN, YouTube...

Auto Local dimming set to high

Tried multiple settings in the 900F settings thread

Here is a picture of the right side and left side. Just taken quickly with my phone and can’t seem to capture how pronounced it actually is in real life. The blotches are extremely prominent in real life

Also a stuck green pixel but that’s to be expected I guess. But the close up of the stuck pixel shows the blotch colour difference compared to the black background.
That is DSE (dirty Screen Effect), blooming is typically when a bright spot on the screen backlights a darker area. I had Samsung do a full panel replacement under warranty for grey/yellowish blotches on my panel a few days before my 1 year warranty expired. Contact Sony or the seller, that is less than "economy $200 Best Buy black Friday quality.

Quote:
Ah ok, now I get it.

Anderegg, to my earlier question about cable/antenna. I realize that you use cable via HDMI, and therefore your cable viewing is subject to the HDMI input settings. How about OTA TV? OTA TV triggers a 3rd mode called Cable/Antenna (as opposed to HDMI or Apps). What settings do you use for OTA? My Expert 1/HDMI 10 point settings did not carry over to OTA
I think you would want to use the APP calibration for the OTA/Antenna. The gamma is mainly the variation, which seems to be affected by the HMI levels, so anything not HDMI seems to share the gamma of the APPS calibration.

Quote:
My i1 display arrived yesterday and managed to get a calibration in late last night using HCFR. Early on I noticed trying to do a 10 point cal with local dimming on really makes it difficult to dial in setting as it does some funny things with the ire levels. Turning local dimming off and everything fell into place perfectly. It was pretty close even after a 2 point cal, then fine tuned with 10 point to get an average deltaE of 0.3 with gamma tracked perfect at 2.2.

I will share my 2 point later after work but mine were definitely not as aggressive as Andereggs. Colors were pretty close after dialing in the greyscale, a few of the secondaries were a touch off but running the HCFR color checker, the 30 colors it checks were very close.
What do you mean by funny things? I found that when I calibrated with local dimming off, then did a test sweep after calibration turning local dimming on, it would scew my results. Since I am going for good gamma tracking, especially in the shadows, I found that leaving it on for calibrating let the black override in HCFR do it's magic, and got a good gamma track though the lower shadows that local dimming allows. If you turn on local dimming with your calibration, I would expect HCFR to see this as a negative dip in your 10-20% or 30% range, which would indicate some form of black crush?

Paul
CaptinCrunch and PlanetAVS like this.
post #114 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Correct, due to panel-variances from set to set the 2pt & 10pt white balance will never be 99% correct, but it definitely get's you in the ballpark and in most cases will be better than the default.

@Anderegg settings look great on my set, and like him I use the Cinema Pro/Expert1 for everything but the internal apps. He did a great job IMO!

Better than default? Interesting observation as I’ve not touched to 2 or 10 point as I don’t have calibration equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #115 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean View Post
Better than default? Interesting observation as I’ve not touched to 2 or 10 point as I don’t have calibration equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My X900F was 4.0+dE error on white balance Cinema Pro Expert 1 all zed out. That's pretty bad, and you could see the green blue with your eye.

Paul
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #116 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Posted my settings a couple days ago. Someone in here mentioned turning motionflow to clear so I tried that out. It looks fantastic! It has helped the blooming immensely. So much in fact that I have turned hdr back on on my Apple TV 4k. It does dim the picture, but not enough that it kills the colors for me. I was using Andereggs color settings, but started noticing that they made whites have a red tint. White shirts, backgrounds, etc. so I went back to rtings (they do post full 10 point calibration.) His settings did make the picture pop more and I really liked them, but prefer the better whites of the rtings settings.

Night time settings with medialight quad on 20%:

I use the same settings for SDR/HDR/DV except gamma. Depending on what I watch I may turn it up for hdr content.

Picture mode - custom
Auto picture mode - auto
Brightness - max
Color - 50
Light sensor - on
Contrast - 90
Gamma - 0
Black level - 50
Black adjust - off
Adv contrast - off
Local dimming - medium
Xtended dynamic range - off
Hue - 0
Color temp - expert 1
Adv color - rtings
Live color - off
Sharpness - 50
Reality - auto
Random noise - auto
Digital noise - auto
Smooth gradation - low
Motion - clear
Cinemotion - high

I do lose a little shadow detail around the edges of the screen with the clear setting, but the inky blacks make up for it. And the motion is great. I went back to frame matching on my Apple TV. I’m definitly the happiest I’ve been with this tv. I was a little disappointed with the 900f until now. My x900e was nowhere near as bad with the blooming and it was the cleanest screen I’d ever seen. But I’m really liking how it looks now.
bodean likes this.
post #117 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

The Clear settings, also known as BFI, can really improve 24p content stutter...that panning thing that makes the motion spring across each frame like a rubber band. If you set Clear to MAX and brightness to MAX, you get around 100cd/m and greatly reduced motion stutter for 24p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post
Posted my settings a couple days ago. Someone in here mentioned turning motionflow to clear so I tried that out. It looks fantastic! It has helped the blooming immensely. So much in fact that I have turned hdr back on on my Apple TV 4k. It does dim the picture, but not enough that it kills the colors for me. I was using Andereggs color settings, but started noticing that they made whites have a red tint. White shirts, backgrounds, etc. so I went back to rtings (they do post full 10 point calibration.) His settings did make the picture pop more and I really liked them, but prefer the better whites of the rtings settings.

I use the same settings for SDR/HDR/DV except gamma. Depending on what I watch I may turn it up for hdr content.

Picture mode - custom
Auto picture mode - auto
Brightness - max
Color - 50
Light sensor - on
Contrast - 90
Gamma - 0
Black level - 50
Black adjust - off
Adv contrast - off
Local dimming - medium
Hue - 0
Color temp - expert 1
Adv color - rtings
Live color - off
Sharpness - 50
Reality - auto
Random noise - auto
Digital noise - auto
Smooth gradation - low
Motion - clear
Cinemotion - high

I do lose a little shadow detail around the edges of the screen with the clear setting, but the inky blacks make up for it. And the motion is great. I went back to frame matching on my Apple TV. I’m definitly the happiest I’ve been with this tv. I was a little disappointed with the 900f until now. My x900e was nowhere near as bad with the blooming and it was the cleanest screen I’d ever seen. But I’m really liking how it looks now.
EyeWasAbducted likes this.
post #118 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:

What do you mean by funny things? I found that when I calibrated with local dimming off, then did a test sweep after calibration turning local dimming on, it would scew my results. Since I am going for good gamma tracking, especially in the shadows, I found that leaving it on for calibrating let the black override in HCFR do it's magic, and got a good gamma track though the lower shadows that local dimming allows. If you turn on local dimming with your calibration, I would expect HCFR to see this as a negative dip in your 10-20% or 30% range, which would indicate some form of black crush?

Paul

Funny things as in trying to dial in 10 point WB but on the majority of the top end luminance,50-100ire, it wouldn’t respond to the white balance controls. It’s almost as if the auto local dimming is fighting against the RGB controls. As soon as I turned LD off it was fine and I was able to dial in the settings easy. I haven’t had time to run a sweep with the local dimming back on to see the effect it has
post #119 of 1036 Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, this is why you see such an "aggressive" calibration from me, you really need to pull the 2 point down first to be able to get a flat 10 point gamma at the top and bottom ends. If you calibrate from the vey start with LD on, it's no more difficult than with it off, but if you calibrate with LD off, then turn LD on, you will see it messes up your gamma. How many people watch this TV with LD off...the black level really is too high to watch in a dark room without it turned on. I found LD off looks fine in a bright room with brightness turned up, because it's too bright to really see the shadows anyway.

Paul

Quote:
Funny things as in trying to dial in 10 point WB but on the majority of the top end luminance,50-100ire, it wouldn’t respond to the white balance controls. It’s almost as if the auto local dimming is fighting against the RGB controls. As soon as I turned LD off it was fine and I was able to dial in the settings easy. I haven’t had time to run a sweep with the local dimming back on to see the effect it has
CaptinCrunch likes this.
post #120 of 1036 Old 01-18-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeWasAbducted View Post

Picture mode - custom

Auto picture mode - auto

Brightness - max

Color - 50

Light sensor - on

Contrast - 90

Gamma - 0

Black level - 50

Black adjust - off

Adv contrast - off

Local dimming - medium

Hue - 0

Color temp - expert 1

Adv color - rtings

Live color - off

Sharpness - 50

Reality - auto

Random noise - auto

Digital noise - auto

Smooth gradation - low

Motion - clear

Cinemotion - high

Reason you don’t use Auto (24p sync) for auto picture mode?
Also I don’t see may using brightness at MAX. This is interesting for a darker room. I guess that is why you enable light sensor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page