2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 246Likes

post #1 of 568 Old 12-17-2018, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread

This thread is strictly to discuss settings on the Sony 900F. General discussion should be posted in the main owners thread located here.

When posting settings or recommended changes, a brief explanation of net effect in a particular mode or across all settings would be helpful.

If you end up with worse picture quality, simply reset them to the default values. Inputting posted settings will not harm your TV.

Post #2 below are the provided links to users that have posted settings. Message me if you want to have your settings linked. If you update them please edit original posts so the links line up with your current settings.

Glossary of settings

Thanks.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 02-08-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 568 Old 12-17-2018, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #3 of 568 Old 12-17-2018, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Reserved for misc info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 568 Old 12-18-2018, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Here's a link to an explanation of what each setting does.

https://community.sony.de/t5/how-tos...d/ba-p/2413437

Sony XBR-75X900F, Marantz SR6012, Rotel RMB-1095, Monster HTS3600MKII, Klipsch RF-5, RC-7, RS-7, RP140SA, Dual SI-18 DIY Subs, Behringer EPX 4000, Crown XLi 1500, Fire Stick 4 K.
post #5 of 568 Old 12-18-2018, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
Here's a link to an explanation of what each setting does.

https://community.sony.de/t5/how-tos...d/ba-p/2413437
This is a great page that explains a lot.
post #6 of 568 Old 12-18-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 67
(Anxiously waiting for people to contribute some settings)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Room 1 Samsung Q8FN 75" TV || Denon X2400H Receiver || Triad InWall/4 Satellites || Triad InRoom Silver/4 Satellites || Triad OmniSub 12
Room 2 Sony X900F 65" TV  || Sony HT-X9000F sound bar
Xbox Live : BoDEAN
post #7 of 568 Old 12-19-2018, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 72
mine,
I use the Xbox as my main media player. HDMI 2, ARC back to Yamaha receiver
Picture mode is changed to Game for gaming
Cinema Pro for Netflix and bluray
DV is auto
Adjustments done to HDR and SDR as they save independently

HDMI 3 is my PVR

Dark basement room. Matte black ceiling
Pot lights on dimmer for light control
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 75x900F.pdf (57.3 KB, 284 views)
PlanetAVS and Buckeye Dave like this.

Last edited by Redoryx; 12-19-2018 at 06:24 AM.
post #8 of 568 Old 12-19-2018, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have tried so many at this point I am not sure what came from where or what I may have tweaked myself playing around (no idea what I am actually doing) after applying someone elses settings. I'm happy for now. I have a 65in x900f in a family room with a decent amount of light, I prefer a little more color and pop than the settings that seem to be more cinema oriented, they always look a little hazy and washed to me personally. I am definitely not in pursuit of a perfectly calibrated TV just something I enjoy watching. Primarily watch sports via Directv, movies on Amazon Prime and some YouTube content. All media including Directv runs through the Xbox One X. I use the following settings for most of my content viewing and then switch to game mode for gaming.

For most general viewing content:
Spoiler!

For gaming:
Spoiler!
I also occassionally use the settings from FlatPanelHD listed in Post #2
PlanetAVS and Buckeye Dave like this.

Last edited by xinunix; 12-19-2018 at 12:30 PM.
post #9 of 568 Old 12-19-2018, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Calibration Settings From Poker Jedi

Originally Posted by PokerJedi View Post
So I have been playing with the color and settings of this TV now for about two weeks since I had it. I have been looking on this forum and others what settings people are using as well as what Rtings, CNET and Quantum Apotheosis settings. I just recently found this Quantum Apotheosis guy and while his settings are kinda close to Rtings and CNETs for a few things he has a few settings that I liked better. He seems to enjoy an overly saturated image, almost too much for my liking.

So what I tried to do is take a little of what I liked about a few of these and meld it to my perfect settings. For now at least. I used Star Wars TLJ as a reference point on my iPhone as I have always liked the balance of color, contrast and brightness iPhones give out. I found that iPhones have a slightly warmer hue that I could not match 100% but it was pretty close. I also used a shot from Captain America Winter Soldier, particularly the opening scene "on your left" for motion smoothness. As my old TV could not handle the slow-moving shot of Cap running in the distance without some stutter.

I have my Apple TV set (which I use for almost all of my movie and TV viewing) set to 4K SDR with frame rate and range matching.

Knowing me, and how I am never satisfied and always playing with things, this might change a little here and there. But as of now I really like this look. I figured it might help some people and since this popped up in conversation again I decided to post it. I am still trying to figure out the best settings for my PS4 (orig). I am using a variation of Quantum Apotheosis settings, but his was a little too punchy for me. Almost too colorful for my liking. If anyone has any good settings for an orig PS4 I'd like to play with it to see how I like it.

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Auto (24p Sync)
Brightness: 30
Color: 55
Light Sensor: Off

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Contrast: 85
Gamma: 0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: High

-- Color sub-menu
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 2
Live Color: Med

--Adv Color temperature
R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: -1
R-Bias: 1
G-Bias: 1
B-Bias: -7

-- Clarity sub-menu
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Off
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Low

Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: Custom [Min (for now), Clearness 1]
CineMotion: High

-- Video options sub-menu
HDR mode: Auto
HDMI video range: Auto
Color space: Auto
xinunix and Buckeye Dave like this.
post #10 of 568 Old 12-19-2018, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinunix View Post

[/SPOILER]I also occassionally use the settings from FlatPanelHD listed in Post #2
What do you think of the Flatpanels settings? I'm going to try it out this weekend when I have some more time. I'll probably also try out Quantum Apotheosis's settings even though I'm not a fan of his in general.
post #11 of 568 Old 12-19-2018, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The out-of-the-box picture quality (85" version) was quite disappointing, especially since it replaced a second gen OLED. I searched all the usual websites for picture settings, which helped, but the PQ was still amiss. I did find, however, helpful info on a YouTube video, though I don't remember who the contributor was. Finally, I found a post for the 10-point white balance that, in conjunction with the YouTube video, made a big difference. The following are my current settings. The white balance settings were provided by Anderegg (pg. 73, post 2161) on the AVSforum (2018 Sony XBR 900F owners thread (No Price Talk)). My thanks to those contributors.

Lastly, my "theater room" environment is highly NOT ideal: A bright Great Room, numerous surrounding windows, 17" vaulted ceilings. Maybe because of this less than ideal viewing room, my Sony X900F requires all this tweaking.

SONY 900f Picture Settings

Picture mode = Cinema pro
Auto picture = Off
Brightness = 14
Color = 55
Light sensor = Off

ADVANCED SETTINGS
Contrast = 86
Gamma = -2
Black level = 50
Black adjustment = Off
Advanced contrast = Off
Auto focal dim = High
Extended = Medium

COLOR
Hue = 0
Color temp = Expert1
Live color = Off

ADVANCED COLOR TEMP
R gain = Max
G gain = -1
B gain = -4
R bias = 6
G bias = 0
B bias = -6

CLARITY
Sharp = 53
Reality = Off
Master 4k = Off
Random noise = Off
Digital noise = Off
Smooth = Low

MOTION
Motion = True Cinema
Smooth = 3
Clear = Min
Cinemotion = Low

VIDEO OPTION = Auto, Auto, Auto

10-pt Color Gamma Adjustment Points (from Anderegg, pg73, post 2161)

(Expert White Balance 1 and 2 are the only white adjustments that transfer across ALL picture modes and inputs, so if you set your white balance once, it will set them on all inputs and modes, even game and photo settings. This is called REC709/sRGB. These settings got me 0.17 dE using i1D3 meter and HCFR, but panel variances exist, so your your results may vary.)

NOTE: The dashes should be read as MINUS and they are not separators between groups of numbers. So, PT2 setting should be plus 3, minus 5, minus 14.)

Go to Advanced Settings, Color, Adv. color temperature, select Color gamma adjustment points and go through each of the 10 points and set each point as follows:

PT1 (R-offset, G-offset, B-offset)
-3 -10 -17

PT2
3 -5 -14

PT3
1 -7 -11

PT4
4 -4 -10

PT5
1 -6 -9

PT6
3 -5 -9

PT7
4 -5 -6

PT8
2 -4 -10

PT9
9 -1 -2

PT10
-3 -8 –17

Last edited by RickMo; 12-20-2018 at 09:38 PM.
post #12 of 568 Old 12-20-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
What do you think of the Flatpanels settings? I'm going to try it out this weekend when I have some more time. I'll probably also try out Quantum Apotheosis's settings even though I'm not a fan of his in general.
For me personally I like the Flatpanels settings on Cinema Pro when I want something a little less punchy than the settings I posted.

I am pretty sure the color settings I use on Standard picture mode posted above came from Quantum Apoth, but I was not a fan of changing the colorspace to BT-2020, I felt like it left skin tones very red so I left that on auto. What I did like about his settings other than the colorspace setting was that it was the first settings I had seen that gave the pop and deep rich colors that I was hoping to get out of this TV.
tubers likes this.
post #13 of 568 Old 12-20-2018, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 143
My settings are in my sig.
post #14 of 568 Old 12-20-2018, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
My settings are in my sig.
Not seeing them anywhere.
bodean likes this.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
post #15 of 568 Old 12-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Not seeing them anywhere.
If browsing on mobile might be hard to find. Either way the next post contains them.
post #16 of 568 Old 12-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Please note that Smoothness and Clearness do nothing unless on Custom and as such I normally use TrueCinema most of the time and if I run into some motion that needs cleaning up I swap to Custom with those settings. If the brightness decreases too much for my tastes with Clearness on 1 I might manually bump up the brightness by 5.

My current settings:

For DirecTV SDR / HDR NIGHT

Spoiler!

For DirecTV SDR / HDR DAY

Spoiler!

For Nintendo WiiU and Switch

Spoiler!

For PS4 Pro and Xbox One S / HDR

Spoiler!

For all DAY Video apps inluding local file streaming / HDR

Spoiler!

For all NIGHT Video apps inluding local file streaming / HDR

Spoiler!
christoofar and Buckeye Dave like this.
post #17 of 568 Old 12-20-2018, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
PlanetAVS sounds like a fun weekend. Let us know what settings out of these two you prefer after testing especially for hdr movies. Also let us know the settings you ended up keeping.
post #18 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Can we please stop mentioning/using Quantum Apotheosis settings. The guy is a clickbait YouTube fraud, he makes my blood boil! Use his settings if you enjoy totally inaccurate color and soap opera effect
post #19 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMichaels View Post
Calibration Settings From Poker Jedi

Originally Posted by PokerJedi View Post
So I have been playing with the color and settings of this TV now for about two weeks since I had it. I have been looking on this forum and others what settings people are using as well as what Rtings, CNET and Quantum Apotheosis settings. I just recently found this Quantum Apotheosis guy and while his settings are kinda close to Rtings and CNETs for a few things he has a few settings that I liked better. He seems to enjoy an overly saturated image, almost too much for my liking.

So what I tried to do is take a little of what I liked about a few of these and meld it to my perfect settings. For now at least. I used Star Wars TLJ as a reference point on my iPhone as I have always liked the balance of color, contrast and brightness iPhones give out. I found that iPhones have a slightly warmer hue that I could not match 100% but it was pretty close. I also used a shot from Captain America Winter Soldier, particularly the opening scene "on your left" for motion smoothness. As my old TV could not handle the slow-moving shot of Cap running in the distance without some stutter.

I have my Apple TV set (which I use for almost all of my movie and TV viewing) set to 4K SDR with frame rate and range matching.

Knowing me, and how I am never satisfied and always playing with things, this might change a little here and there. But as of now I really like this look. I figured it might help some people and since this popped up in conversation again I decided to post it. I am still trying to figure out the best settings for my PS4 (orig). I am using a variation of Quantum Apotheosis settings, but his was a little too punchy for me. Almost too colorful for my liking. If anyone has any good settings for an orig PS4 I'd like to play with it to see how I like it.

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro
Auto picture Mode: Auto (24p Sync)

Advanced settings menu

-- Brightness sub-menu
Contrast: 85
Gamma: 0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: Off
X-tended Dynamic Range: High

-- Color sub-menu
Color temperature: Expert 2
Live Color: Med

--Adv Color temperature
R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: -1
B-Gain: -1
R-Bias: 1
G-Bias: 1
B-Bias: -7

-- Clarity sub-menu
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction: Off
Smooth gradation: Low

Motion sub-menu
Motionflow: Custom [Min (for now), Clearness 1]
CineMotion: High

-- Video options sub-menu
HDR mode: Auto
HDMI video range: Auto
Color space: Auto
How did you adjust the advanced color settings? I would assume you would need calibration equipment as these settings would vary panel to panel, certainly unique to each panel. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
post #20 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat View Post
Can we please stop mentioning/using Quantum Apotheosis settings. The guy is a clickbait YouTube fraud, he makes my blood boil! Use his settings if you enjoy totally inaccurate color and soap opera effect
I actually do like a bit of the so called soe, I find it adds a dimentionality to the picture. Never was sure why so many people don’t like it, picture ultra flat without it, dimentional with it. Regards. Ned.
post #21 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree with you, it would be more out of curiosity.
post #22 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:

No offense intended here but this is the kind of commentary I was hoping not to see on this particular thread. The hope was that we could have a thread with a compilation of settings options for people to try out all in one place, devoid of personal opinions and emotional responses to the settings that others post. I posted on the owners thread asking for a thread like this to be created b/c I thought it would really help out new owners (like me) who aren't AVS experts. I also realized that I had fallen into the trap in the past of sharing personal commentary about settings others had posted and realized no one cares what I think about the settings, nor should they. PlanetAVS was nice enough to set this up for us, greatly appreciated PlanetAVS!

While I referenced his settings personally I do not see that as an endorsement of him, don't know anything about him or his agenda, don't care to honestly. Just see him as a dude that posted some settings for the same TV that I own on the internet. Given that the perception of what someone sees when using a particular set of settings is 100% personal preference, a particular set of settings posted here are merely another option for someone to try for themselves, nothing more, nothing less. If you try out a given set of settings posted here and they are not to your liking, try another set or create your own and share what you ended up liking for others to try. Not sure how what others think about him or anyone else personally or their settings really has to do with what my eyes or anyone else's end up enjoying when watching on their own TV.
Edllguy, bodean, bobtwom and 4 others like this.
post #23 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I have been on Rtings setting since I got the TV, didn't like it, color is too washed out, too warm, contrast is low

Yesterday I tried Flatpanels settings, it really made a difference, I like it very much!
post #24 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
Please note that Smoothness and Clearness do nothing unless on Custom and as such I normally use TrueCinema most of the time and if I run into some motion that needs cleaning up I swap to Custom with those settings. If the brightness decreases too much for my tastes with Clearness on 1 I might manually bump up the brightness by 5.

My current settings:

For DirecTV SDR / HDR NIGHT

Spoiler!

For DirecTV SDR / HDR DAY

Spoiler!

For Nintendo WiiU and Switch

Spoiler!

For PS4 Pro and Xbox One S / HDR

Spoiler!

For all DAY Video apps inluding local file streaming / HDR

Spoiler!

For all NIGHT Video apps inluding local file streaming / HDR

Spoiler!

Just curious, does the TV allow you to store different configs for different scenarios or are you really tinkering with your TV settings that much based on console use, daytime, night time, etc? Seems like it would be a PIA switching settings constantly.
post #25 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 01:04 PM

2018 Sony XBR-900F owners settings thread

Here are my settings I use for pretty much all my sources, hopefully it can help someone struggling to get this panel looking right.

I used AVS709 calibration patterns and a blue filter to test color and an old eyeone display to measure luminance

Picture Mode: Cinema Pro (Game when using the Xbox)

*because the internal youtube app doesn't auto switch to HDR settings stupidly, I've setup Cinema Home as my youtube HDR picture mode and just switch between the two.

Auto Picture Mode: Off

Brightness: 11 (gives me 120cd/m on 100% white) / Max for HDR and Dolby Vision)

Contrast: 90 (Max for Dolby Vision)

Gamma: 0 (set to 1 if using clearness at 1)

Black Level: 49

Black Adjust: Off

Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off

X-Tended Dynamic Range: Off (High for HDR and DV)

Color: 50 (57 when using game mode on the Xbox)

Color Temp: Expert 1

Live Color: Off

Noise Reduction: Off

Smooth Gradation: Off

Motion Flow: User preference although turning on Clearness will dim the picture due to BFI

Video Options: All Auto

No point sharing white balance settings

Hope this helps anyone. Enjoy

Lost in Space (Dolby Vision)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

NBA 2k19 on Xbox 1X
Spoiler!

Last edited by ocat; 12-21-2018 at 01:35 PM.
post #26 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinunix View Post
No offense intended here but this is the kind of commentary I was hoping not to see on this particular thread.
Apologies mate, i will keep my opinions about QA out of this thread. Was more of a PSA for others who are unaware of him and his blatant lying about products just to get youtube views. The less views this guy gets on his channel, the better off everyone is. End of topic.

Merry Christmas, all of you enjoy your X90f picture tinkering
videobruce likes this.
post #27 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheat_Thins View Post
Just curious, does the TV allow you to store different configs for different scenarios or are you really tinkering with your TV settings that much based on console use, daytime, night time, etc? Seems like it would be a PIA switching settings constantly.
If you'll notice, I use Cinema Home during the day and Cinema Pro at night. I only ever have to change motionflow settings if I want to, which is usually never. Settings are stored per input, I just change from Cinema Home to Cinema Pro at night. Game systems are on their own inputs so they're always on game.

Last edited by acphydro; 12-21-2018 at 03:40 PM.
post #28 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Apologies mate, i will keep my opinions about QA out of this thread. Was more of a PSA for others who are unaware of him and his blatant lying about products just to get youtube views. The less views this guy gets on his channel, the better off everyone is. End of topic.

Merry Christmas, all of you enjoy your X90f picture tinkering
No worries its all good and thanks for sharing your settings!
post #29 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I purchased a refurbished X900F 75" off Ebay for the actual going price of the 65". The seller has alot of positive feedback and has sold dozens of the 65's. But to my question: Other than the obvious dead-stuck pixel and potential banding issue, what other 900 F series' inherent problems are there? what should I be looking for once I receive it? Thank you, kindly and happy holidays.
gorgy likes this.
post #30 of 568 Old 12-21-2018, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thank you to whoever posted my settings here. Just saw this thread today.

Question, I see people posting two different settings in one calibration. Ex: Brightness 11/Max if DV HDR.

I’m assuming this is being done automatically correct? Meaning when I am on my HDMI input for my Apple TV and it’s not detecting an HDR source and I calibrate it one way it will switch when it detects an HDR or DV source if I make adjustments while viewing an HDR source?

Last edited by PokerJedi; 12-21-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays