Samsung 75" Q9FN or SONY 75" Z9F or Samsung 82" Q8FN ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By DaMac78
  • 2 Post By srkmish
  • 2 Post By enricoclaudio
  • 1 Post By Cam1977

post #1 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Samsung 75" Q9FN or SONY 75" Z9F or Samsung 82" Q8FN ?

So, I am stuck at a decision point. I currently have 2016 Samsung 4K 65" TV. I am considering to upgrade. I am looking forward to a bigger screen either 75" or 82". The question is which one is the best option. Assuming I can get similar prices in next month or so which one you will recommend and why? I have also looked into RTing for reviews.

Samsung 75" Q9FN
SONY 75" Z9F
Samsung 82" Q8FN

My first instinct says to get the 82", that seems to be the biggest size for a good LED TV in comparable price range.

The TV is for living room, with lights on pretty much all the time and plenty of Sun light. It is a big living room /open concept kitchen access. Mostly TV is for Cable and Movies. I am not into much gaming. Seating is likely about 14-16ft from screen.

I have considered LG OLED 77" but I am on fence if that's worth extra $1000 or more at this point for my purposes.

I am willing to wait for another month or so and probably buy one near superbowl, by then CES will also give us full sense of what's coming up.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by isingh View Post
So, I am stuck at a decision point. I currently have 2016 Samsung 4K 65" TV. I am considering to upgrade. I am looking forward to a bigger screen either 75" or 82". The question is which one is the best option. Assuming I can get similar prices in next month or so which one you will recommend and why? I have also looked into RTing for reviews.

Samsung 75" Q9FN
SONY 75" Z9F
Samsung 82" Q8FN

My first instinct says to get the 82", that seems to be the biggest size for a good LED TV in comparable price range.

The TV is for living room, with lights on pretty much all the time and plenty of Sun light. It is a big living room /open concept kitchen access. Mostly TV is for Cable and Movies. I am not into much gaming. Seating is likely about 14-16ft from screen.

I have considered LG OLED 77" but I am on fence if that's worth extra $1000 or more at this point for my purposes.

I am willing to wait for another month or so and probably buy one near superbowl, by then CES will also give us full sense of what's coming up.

The Q9 has arguably the best picture quality out of the three. The Z9F will get you closer to reference if you are going to calibrate.

That said, 15 ft is a long distance, and I would probably go with the biggest TV for your case.

In a well lit room, you won't notice much of a difference between the the 3, anyways. They're all super bright as well, so I wouldn't worry about sunlight.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Samsung 75" Q9FN
SONY 75" Z9F
Samsung 82" Q8FN

The only advice I can give you is to steer clear from the 82" Samsung.
Check this other thread many of us are discussing:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...e-talk-16.html

The Samsung 75" are fantastic. I got the Q7FN 75" after being very disappointed by the Q6FN 82" and a friend got the Q8FN 75".
Coming from a 2016 65" KS9000 I think the 75" is a very nice upgrade. Sure, 82" was very cool to look at. But the issue is too severe.
If you want to go over 75" and don't mind having to use ANDROID, then try Sony or Panasonic. If you want to risk burn-in issues with OLED and spend allot more money, the OLED is an option. But never was an option for me due to both OLED problems and high price.
Not a big SONY fan anymore due to the ADROID OS...
srkmish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac78 View Post

The Samsung 75" are fantastic. I got the Q7FN 75" after being very disappointed by the Q6FN 82" and a friend got the Q8FN 75".

Coming from a 2016 65" KS9000 I think the 75" is a very nice upgrade. Sure, 82" was very cool to look at. But the issue is too severe.

If you want to go over 75" and don't mind having to use ANDROID, then try Sony or Panasonic. If you want to risk burn-in issues with OLED and spend allot more money, the OLED is an option. But never was an option for me due to both OLED problems and high price.

Yeah the OLED 77 inchers are still way too expensive. I need less than they were but still very expensive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #5 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac78 View Post

Thanks for pointing that out. I was not aware of the ghosting issue yet. Now that's a bummer. Ghosting or Android or Dead pixels .. Man this is getting confusing now

Is there any good but reasonably priced 82" TV out there?
post #6 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out. I was not aware of the ghosting issue yet. Now that's a bummer. Ghosting or Android or Dead pixels .. Man this is getting confusing now

Is there any good but reasonably priced 82" TV out there?
Why not the 85X900F? It's dirt cheap for that amount of real estate.
Hetfieldjames and lucacow like this.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1810 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by srkmish View Post
Why not the 85X900F? It's dirt cheap for that amount of real estate.
Yeah I agree. Good choice, I have the 900E and it's extremely good. The 900F is supposed to be even better with the extreme chip. That is a big screen man.

post #8 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 4754
Get a Sony 75Z9D from Best Buy before they are gone for good.
srkmish and Gillietalls like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #9 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3066 Post(s)
Liked: 3786
^very good advice...probably the best LCD out their.
Gillietalls likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Get a Sony 75Z9D from Best Buy before they are gone for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Yeah I agree. Good choice, I have the 900E and it's extremely good. The 900F is supposed to be even better with the extreme chip. That is a big screen man.

Well, I have never owned SONY TV before plus I read a lot of Android issues that people struggle with. Besides that my impression was that Z9F is better than Z9D, so that is why I kept that in my list. Ideally a 77" LG OLED will be great if price could go close to $4k. At $5k it is a bit pricey for me. That is why I was looking for a TV that was not too far from OLED in terms of blacks, also good for a well lit living room and within $4k budget. With LG's today's announcement I am considering may be waiting couple of months and see if 77" OLED drops to $3.5-4k range from Greentoe or Buydig call. Do you agree?
post #11 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Well I was a plasma fanboy for years. I even bought one of the last Panasonic zt’s, which where regarded as the best tv’s at the time, for my bedroom. Well I got the itch to upgrade my living room 65 Panasonic plasma to a new oled. I was sold on the inky blacks plus wanted 4k. I have a friend who is in the home electronics business tell me he had a few of his clients buy the oleds and couldn’t stand them. He told me to get the Samsung qled9fn. So after a few days of reviews I decided to get the 75 inch version. Very long story short. Just buy the Samsung. It’s the best image I’ve seen. It has the inky blacks of oled and the pop and color of lcd. Now I want to replace my zt in my bedroom with one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #12 of 19 Old 01-03-2019, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post
Well I was a plasma fanboy for years. I even bought one of the last Panasonic zt’s, which where regarded as the best tv’s at the time, for my bedroom. Well I got the itch to upgrade my living room 65 Panasonic plasma to a new oled. I was sold on the inky blacks plus wanted 4k. I have a friend who is in the home electronics business tell me he had a few of his clients buy the oleds and couldn’t stand them. He told me to get the Samsung qled9fn. So after a few days of reviews I decided to get the 75 inch version. Very long story short. Just buy the Samsung. It’s the best image I’ve seen. It has the inky blacks of oled and the pop and color of lcd. Now I want to replace my zt in my bedroom with one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I totally hear what you are saying

So is it safe to say that Q9FN is sitting next to OLED C8 when you combine the benefit of lights/colors? Again, I am not saying that QLED is almost equal to OLED. What I am asking is that compared to other TVs available to date, Q9FN is the front runner?
post #13 of 19 Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
I totally hear what you are saying

So is it safe to say that Q9FN is sitting next to OLED C8 when you combine the benefit of lights/colors? Again, I am not saying that QLED is almost equal to OLED. What I am asking is that compared to other TVs available to date, Q9FN is the front runner?

I’m saying qled to me is every bit equal to oled. I’ve decided in my old age that I like my image brighter and over saturated a little. Calibrated is just to dim for me nowadays. I have an epson 5040 in my basement that’s I thought looked fantastic till I watched my first 4k hdr on the 9fn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 19 Old 01-04-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Well, I have never owned SONY TV before plus I read a lot of Android issues that people struggle with. Besides that my impression was that Z9F is better than Z9D, so that is why I kept that in my list. Ideally a 77" LG OLED will be great if price could go close to $4k. At $5k it is a bit pricey for me. That is why I was looking for a TV that was not too far from OLED in terms of blacks, also good for a well lit living room and within $4k budget. With LG's today's announcement I am considering may be waiting couple of months and see if 77" OLED drops to $3.5-4k range from Greentoe or Buydig call. Do you agree?
The Z9D is way better in PQ compared to the Z9F (black levels, contrast, dimming/zones). The Z9F is better OS and viewing angles, and maybe motion.

For that size, I would look at 75 Z9D or 85 900f. I came from Samsung and prefer Sony these days since they're more faithful to reference quality.

But the Q9F will serve your purposes too and is good. I don't think OLED fits what you need (Brightness with quality black still) for a living room TV, and I don't think the price difference is worth it. While burn in is overblown, image retention is annoying as hell and gives it a cheap feeling.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #15 of 19 Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

So I came across a local store where I can get a store display model SONY 75Z9D for about 2600. They say it will come with 1yr SONY warranty. Do you think I should go for it? I dont know how many hours it has run already.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
The Z9D is way better in PQ compared to the Z9F (black levels, contrast, dimming/zones). The Z9F is better OS and viewing angles, and maybe motion.

For that size, I would look at 75 Z9D or 85 900f. I came from Samsung and prefer Sony these days since they're more faithful to reference quality.

But the Q9F will serve your purposes too and is good. I don't think OLED fits what you need (Brightness with quality black still) for a living room TV, and I don't think the price difference is worth it. While burn in is overblown, image retention is annoying as hell and gives it a cheap feeling.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-09-2019, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 100
For gaming ZF9 is best with an input lag of only 21ms. I've owned the Q9FN as well just so you know. It even beats all the QLEDS as they flicker their backlight at a lowly 120hz (480hz in movie mode) regardless of the frame rate of the input/source, this leads to a lot of image duplication when gaming and makes you see edges and thin lines while panning a camera being duplicated and they flicker a lot as well, especially in games that don't use motion blur on objects and camera movement. If I rotate the camera around in Spiderman PS4 the sky scrapers looks quite bad on the Samsungs. Sony on the other hand flicker at 720hz this makes 30fps games like Spiderman look much more stable when panning the camera and you don't get image duplication.

Sony ZD9 is best for critical movie watching and a center seating position (poor viewing angles). It's not an amazing gaming TV as input lag is 24.5ms in 4K and 40ms in all other resolutions.

OLEDS have amazing picture quality but run the risk of image burn in. If you use high brightness and play Zelda BoTW for ~100 hours, the red hears will wear down the organic LEDs, then you may get burnt in dark cyan harts as a result. If you vary your content and don't grind one game with a lot of saturated reds and don't use high brightness it could very well be the best option. But ZD9, ZF9 and Q9FN will procure brighter and more vibrant HDR images if the content is mastered above 1000 nits. This is very apparent in gaming.

The only down side to ZF9 is that is suffers form a bit of blooming in HDR with dark scenes and bright lights. Here Q9FN wins but in all other aspects ZF9 wins, the image is much cleaner and no details are lost or darkened to Samsungs overly aggressive dimming.

Price is of course important. If you can get a Q9FN for a considerably low price it may be worth it, but is suffers form screen uniform and banding in dark content.

I personally went with ZF9 over Q9FN and Q900 due to a combination of Sony's over all higher image and motion quality as for the price I paid, and I'm okay with the slight blooming as it out performs anything else for gaming and top image and HDR quality in my eyes.

Finally ZF9 UI is very responsive, no complaints at all.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-09-2019, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have a 75" Z9F and can share that the Android system on the Sony is stellar. Navigation is very smooth and ease of use is fantastic. The remote though not motion-capable is highly functional, allowing me to select the required App or TV settings quickly, unlike motion-based remote. The wide viewing angle is a great feature -- my kids and myself spend more time watching movies in the living room together since getting the TV.

However, I can't say anything positive about reliability of Sony's TV as the panel/backlight of my Z9F failed last week. It took 7 business days for Sony to send their engineer onsite to verify the fault (according to the visiting TV technician their schedules were full.. there must be many failed Sony TVs around) and I am now waiting for the replacement with no ETA.

I would have gotten a LG 77" but it costs more than US$12K where I lived.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-10-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

thank you again guys. very helpful.
Now to add to the mix, the open box 75Z9D has about 6000 hrs that means 8-10hr for almost every day in past two years. I am leaning NO for that even they sell at half the current retail price. Will you buy at half the current retail price ?
post #19 of 19 Old 01-10-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
thank you again guys. very helpful.
Now to add to the mix, the open box 75Z9D has about 6000 hrs that means 8-10hr for almost every day in past two years. I am leaning NO for that even they sell at half the current retail price. Will you buy at half the current retail price ?
That 6,000 hours run time sounds about right for a store demo, not an open box. An open box is a customer return, so that's pretty much limited to 90 days of usage. Being I have 30,000 hours on a Panasonic plasma, 6,000 wouldn't a problem for me. If it were an OLED, set to the store demo mode with the backlight turned up to max, I would never buy it with that many hours. But it's an LCD with LED backlighting, so that 6,000 hours should only be about 10% to 15% of it's rated lifespan.

So, if they're offering it to you for $2K, make a counter offer for $1.5K. If they won't budge from $2K, ask for a free warranty.

Last edited by VA_DaveB; 01-10-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page