Vizio Going All-In on Quantum Dots at CES 2019 - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 172Likes

post #391 of 482 Old 05-21-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewtato View Post
The problem is that FALD zone count matters very little in comparison to the algorithm and processing power. This is why Sony and Samsung, even though have fewer dimming zones, have significantly better local dimming overall. Samsungs new Q70 has a paltry 48 zones, but has excellent local dimming with almost no blooming. Seems like Vizio is just throwing more zones in without perfecting the software portion of it. Let's hope that works.

The most impressive thing about this set is the brightness. It still probably won't be able to go head to head with Sony or Samsung in terms of raw performance or contrast, but could offer previously unseen levels of brightness for HDR content.
The 2018 PQuantum beat every Sony/Samsung LCD for contrast ratio except for the Q9FN. The PQX should be similar. Blooming on the other hand is a concern. We'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 01:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 85
From the CES reports it seemed like an 85" model wasn't ruled out, just not announced. Has anyone heard any rumors of a 85" PQX? I'm thinking it won't happen but it will be nice!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Krister
post #393 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post
From the CES reports it seemed like an 85" model wasn't ruled out, just not announced. Has anyone heard any rumors of a 85" PQX? I'm thinking it won't happen but it will be nice!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I read an article yesterday (somewhere) that said the 85-incher won't be released this year. The wording led me to believe it will come next year, in time for the Summer Olympics in Japan.
krholmberg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post
From the CES reports it seemed like an 85" model wasn't ruled out, just not announced. Has anyone heard any rumors of a 85" PQX?
The CNET video said it won't be coming out this year.
krholmberg likes this.
post #395 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am considering purchasing the 75" Quantum X, but the height listed in the specs sheet seems off. I think it would barely fit above my sonos playbar on my mantle with my current wall mount.

The listed dimensions of the 2019 models are:
2019 P Quantum X - 65.72” x 39.18” x 2.65”
2019 P Quanutm - 65.76" x 37.59" x 2.65"

Despite the bezel being very small, the height listed is a larger number than the regular 75" 2019 P series (and last year's 75" P series.)

That 39.18 number can't be right, right?
post #396 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
The 2018 PQuantum beat every Sony/Samsung LCD for contrast ratio except for the Q9FN. The PQX should be similar. Blooming on the other hand is a concern. We'll see.
The Quantum X on the digital trends youtube first look basically just made it sound like basically an ever so slightly updated P Quantum from this year. Yes, it had twice as many zones and gets 900 nits brighter (significant upgrades), but it basically was the same basic tv. Probably same processor, same smartcast (he actually noted it's now missing youtube???? have to cast it now, very frustrating), same shell, etc...

I've had my P Quantum for a few weeks now and my quick review is this:

- Outstanding HDR tv, really does a great job getting deep blacks and super bright highlights with great color...I leave it in calibrated mode with FALD set to medium, high presents some blooming, medium really doesnt (IF no subtitles)

- Very average 720p/1080p SDR tv, honestly feel like it's not better than my 5 year old HU8550 it replaced, worse in some instances. Blooming is horrific on anything over low, even on low, tv guide menu shows obvious blooming, turning it off to me gives a rough picture (grayish blacks), so i leave it to low...upscaling is definitely worse than my Samsung, it's not bad, but I did notice it not being as good

- Smartcast is next to worthless (except casting), I'm pretty close to putting a roku or Fire tv on this thing, internet is so slow on it via ethernet or wifi it struggles to load streaming HDR content sometimes (I have a 200mbps connection)...it is SO SLOW in the smartcast menu

- Remote just sucks coming from Samsung smart remotes on old tv and even my upstairs NU7500...no voice control is inexcusable on a flagship tv (and they STILL didnt put it on Quantum X remote)..menu can be a little slow to load and sluggish

I honestly wonder if they haven't updated the processor in the tv in years now, its something they really need to address. Their local dimming algorithm could be a bit better as well, despite 192 zones on mine, I feel like it should be better in SDR content specifically. It really struggles with that.
post #397 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Exclamation

The Quantum X 75 has an 5000000:1 dynamic contrast ratio!

Contrast Ratio is King!

Last edited by musicman777; 05-22-2019 at 08:10 AM.
post #398 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post
The Quantum X on the digital trends youtube first look basically just made it sound like basically an ever so slightly updated P Quantum from this year. Yes, it had twice as many zones and gets 900 nits brighter (significant upgrades), but it basically was the same basic tv. Probably same processor, same smartcast (he actually noted it's now missing youtube???? have to cast it now, very frustrating), same shell, etc...

- Outstanding HDR tv, really does a great job getting deep blacks and super bright highlights with great color...I leave it in calibrated mode with FALD set to medium, high presents some blooming, medium really doesnt (IF no subtitles)

- Very average 720p/1080p SDR tv, honestly feel like it's not better than my 5 year old HU8550 it replaced, worse in some instances. Blooming is horrific on anything over low, even on low, tv guide menu shows obvious blooming, turning it off to me gives a rough picture (grayish blacks), so i leave it to low...upscaling is definitely worse than my Samsung, it's not bad, but I did notice it not being as good

- Smartcast is next to worthless (except casting), I'm pretty close to putting a roku or Fire tv on this thing, internet is so slow on it via ethernet or wifi it struggles to load streaming HDR content sometimes (I have a 200mbps connection)...it is SO SLOW in the smartcast menu

- Remote just sucks coming from Samsung smart remotes on old tv and even my upstairs NU7500...no voice control is inexcusable on a flagship tv (and they STILL didnt put it on Quantum X remote)..menu can be a little slow to load and sluggish

I honestly wonder if they haven't updated the processor in the tv in years now, its something they really need to address. Their local dimming algorithm could be a bit better as well, despite 192 zones on mine, I feel like it should be better in SDR content specifically. It really struggles with that.
Internal apps are slow on almost every TV. The only exception I've seen is on LG WebOS.
post #399 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Internal apps are slow on almost every TV. The only exception I've seen is on LG WebOS.
I've had a good time with Tizen on multiple Samsung sets, honestly on my 2014 Samsung HU8550 the internal apps were much quicker and more responsive than on the P Quantum's Smartcast. I even got a faster internet connection.
post #400 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 10:40 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8959 Post(s)
Liked: 5735
Quote:
Not on my TCL Roku TV. It is just as fast as my external roku's. And the new Sonys, with the newer SoC, is also very fast.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--72TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #401 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Why is there no YouTube app on the new Vizio PQX? Caleb Denison can’t seem to find it on the Digital trends preview. That is a completely retarded move on Vizio‘s part if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #402 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Why is there no YouTube app on the new Vizio PQX? Caleb Denison can’t seem to find it on the Digital trends preview. That is a completely retarded move on Vizio‘s part if so.

The youtube app didnt even work for me on the 2018 PQ. Maybe they removed it because why include an app that they cant get to work?
post #403 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman777 View Post
The Quantum X 75 has an 5000000:1 dynamic contrast ratio!

Contrast Ratio is King!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymDJ_2QLxBE
Everything has a bajillion:1 dynamic contrast rating. It's a completely meaningless number.
post #404 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
The youtube app didnt even work for me on the 2018 PQ. Maybe they removed it because why include an app that they cant get to work?

That’s odd. I have a PQ and mine works just fine. Have you done a reset to see if it rectifies the issue?

post #405 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So what exactly are quantum dots other than just a wide color gamut?
post #406 of 482 Old 05-22-2019, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0hwell View Post
So what exactly are quantum dots other than just a wide color gamut?
That's essentially all it is. The other benefit is that it cuts down on the total number of filters needed in the panel, which means higher nit output with the same intensity backlight vs a non-QD set.
post #407 of 482 Old 05-23-2019, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Anyone know if the Quantum X will have eArc? Or at the very least a firmware update in the future to support it? The receivers I’m looking at support it and I know the Sony x950g will be updating it’s firmware to it in the near future(if not already). Seems important in terms of getting quality audio and voice sync
post #408 of 482 Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
Everything has a bajillion:1 dynamic contrast rating. It's a completely meaningless number.
His post made me feel like it was 2008 again and we were talking samsung tvs.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #409 of 482 Old 05-23-2019, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post

I'm thinking these new 2019 sets may be being drastically overhyped.

It appears the operating system is still the same horribly sluggish experience as last years models, which means the processor may not have gotten much of an upgrade, if any at all, which probably means the FALD algorithms and processing is going to be relatively the same, meaning we'll probably see the same blooming issues we saw in the previous models despite the increased zone count. Last year P models had even worse blooming issues than the FALD TCL sets despite having more zones and being more expensive. The PQ had noticeable blooming as well. SDR upscaling is to be seen, but you're right in that last years Vizio models weren't that great for SDR. Seems like they have traditionally thrown all their eggs in the HDR basket.

Not to mention, this is Vizio, and there WILL BE a frustrating panel lottery. There is definitely a panel lottery for all sets, but Vizio's are some of the worst, right up there with TCL. Someone pointed out earlier during the DT unboxing video you could hear loose FALDs smack against the back of the panel when he was maneuvering the TV. You could pay a little more of a premium for a Samsung or Sony set and almost guarantee a good panel first try.
post #410 of 482 Old 05-23-2019, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Street Pricing/Deals/Discounts discussions are not permitted outside of the deal's area.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.

Last edited by teachsac; 05-23-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #411 of 482 Old 05-23-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wish they were releasing an 85"
post #412 of 482 Old 05-23-2019, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Vizio published a bunch of 2019 product videos yesterday. Including the unpublished M series video I found earlier. Not much in the forum of new reviews yet...

P Series Quantum X -

P Series Quantum -
M Series Quantum -

FALD -

TV unboxing -
and
post #413 of 482 Old 05-23-2019, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Rtings' review of the V series came out today. They measured a 7395 : 1 native contrast ratio.
post #414 of 482 Old 05-24-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
post #415 of 482 Old 05-24-2019, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 44
That FALD video is pretty cool. Nothing new of course, but the side-by-side presentation is still captivating to watch.

I’m waiting for reviews on the PQX. I considered getting the Samsung Q90R but after seeing that the EOTF curve is not accurate and after seeing it at Best Buy I couldn’t get over the artificial/digital look of it. I think I got spoiled by OLED but I’m hoping the PQX will look better with better contrast and a more accurate picture after calibration. My other alternative is the 77” C9 but I’ll wait for reviews on the 75” PQX before deciding.

Setup:
Spoiler!
post #416 of 482 Old 05-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlats View Post
Anyone know if the Quantum X will have eArc? Or at the very least a firmware update in the future to support it? The receivers I’m looking at support it and I know the Sony x950g will be updating it’s firmware to it in the near future(if not already). Seems important in terms of getting quality audio and voice sync.
If they are going to include it, Vizio will probably highlight it and touts it a new feature. Firmware upgrade is only possible if the hardware supports it. It does not have HDMI2.1, and I doubt it will have eARC.
post #417 of 482 Old 05-24-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samovies10 View Post
That FALD video is pretty cool. Nothing new of course, but the side-by-side presentation is still captivating to watch.

I’m waiting for reviews on the PQX. I considered getting the Samsung Q90R but after seeing that the EOTF curve is not accurate and after seeing it at Best Buy I couldn’t get over the artificial/digital look of it. I think I got spoiled by OLED but I’m hoping the PQX will look better with better contrast and a more accurate picture after calibration. My other alternative is the 77” C9 but I’ll wait for reviews on the 75” PQX before deciding.

Rtings just ordered theirs. They said they will have a review in three or four weeks. Not sure if that is a 65 inch or 75 inch though. Still awaiting a reply to find out that information. If the peak brightness trend continues I am hoping it will be 300 or 400 nits over their peak brightness specification. Last year’s PQ was supposed to be 2000 nits but most reviewers and owners were getting up to 2400 nits including myself.

post #418 of 482 Old 05-24-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Has anyone seen any information on the release date for the 43 inch Vizio M Series? I can't find information anywhere on it. I even emailed Vizio and they said "it will be posted on our website when it is available." They did not have a date, etc.

It would be nice to know when it is coming out, as I need a small TV NOW. I am considering the new Samsung 43 inch QLED, but if the M Series Performs better I would rather have it (assuming it is still coming out).
post #419 of 482 Old 05-24-2019, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
In the same boat here, regarding the 43” M. I purchased the 43” V series, before the local dimming model was released. I’m going to purchase a local dimming V to test, but I’m really excited about the 43 inch M. Any info anyone has about a release date would be most appreciated.
post #420 of 482 Old 05-25-2019, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Rtings just ordered theirs. They said they will have a review in three or four weeks. Not sure if that is a 65 inch or 75 inch though. Still awaiting a reply to find out that information. If the peak brightness trend continues I am hoping it will be 300 or 400 nits over their peak brightness specification. Last year’s PQ was supposed to be 2000 nits but most reviewers and owners were getting up to 2400 nits including myself.

Just to clarify, it will be a minimum of 3-4 weeks, as we haven't even received it yet, and from then it takes 2-3 weeks to test. We ordered the 65" model.
PlanetAVS and Nouniard like this.

RTINGS.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
p series quantum , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page