Vizio Going All-In on Quantum Dots at CES 2019 - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 172Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 482 Old 06-07-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon View Post
Because he has the 2019 p series and this is his 2nd video on the P. The previous one was side by side with sony.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I get that part. I meant that he is an idiot and a flake that is cashing in with his garbage and unless people stop clicking on his videos, he will continue to be.
TonyS, Jeremy Anderson and JD23 like this.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
Coercion Shaman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 482 Old 06-07-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
beardontwalk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake, IA
Posts: 2,013
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Yeah, his info is garbage.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Jeremy Anderson likes this.
beardontwalk123 is offline  
post #453 of 482 Old 06-07-2019, 12:41 PM
Member
 
hjames19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok. So disregard those videos? Can you not use HDR on the HDMI Port 5?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hjames19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #454 of 482 Old 06-07-2019, 01:17 PM
Member
 
sfsilicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
I get that part. I meant that he is an idiot and a flake that is cashing in with his garbage and unless people stop clicking on his videos, he will continue to be.
Folks should make their own decission. The guy is showing side by sides with a sony. I only filter out videos that have talking heads and no actual units.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
sfsilicon is offline  
post #455 of 482 Old 06-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
WRXpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Why do people keep putting up links to this guy? Stop giving him clicks!
Him, and the guy who literally uploads 15 min phone videos of him "checking out" TVs at Costco/Best Buy until he makes his "big choice" (oh boy, what will it be guys??!?!?) have to be the two worst TV "review" channels on YT.


They're surviving based on the vacuum of real, technical information that exists out there right now. But I guess they're at least smart enough to recognize that vacuum and target it.
WRXpilot is offline  
post #456 of 482 Old 06-08-2019, 07:11 AM
Newbie
 
asc72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Costco in Canada looks like they are having some clear-out deals on the 2018 P series. I am looking for a 55" tv, so wondering if it would be worth going for the P-series or wait for 2019 M-series to be available (the 55" is only available in M). The 2019 has the quantum dot, but looks like the NITS (1000 vs 600) and dimming zones (120 vs 90) would be lower on the 2019.
asc72 is offline  
post #457 of 482 Old 06-08-2019, 07:19 AM
Member
 
sfsilicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by asc72 View Post
Costco in Canada looks like they are having some clear-out deals on the 2018 P series. I am looking for a 55" tv, so wondering if it would be worth going for the P-series or wait for 2019 M-series to be available (the 55" is only available in M). The 2019 has the quantum dot, but looks like the NITS (1000 vs 600) and dimming zones (120 vs 90) would be lower on the 2019.
Personally I'd wait for the newer models. From the initial reviews new P is an improvement, so hopefully the M is too. No real reviews yet beyond one initial impression from a pre release program buyer. There might be some G0 M series reviews on Walmart but I have not checked yet.

Another alternative if you can get it in Canada is the 55" Hisense H9F. Should be out this month.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/hisense...view-6456.html

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
sfsilicon is offline  
post #458 of 482 Old 06-08-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,763
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
I wouldn't trust anything the Quantum guy says, he never show pictures of his so called calibrations. No charts, you just have to be gullible enough to believe what he says. He doesn't know that most displays can't reach advertised nits, in calibrated modes. He's just a Samsung shill.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
DisplayCalNoob is offline  
post #459 of 482 Old 06-08-2019, 02:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
I wouldn't trust anything the Quantum guy says, he never show pictures of his so called calibrations. No charts, you just have to be gullible enough to believe what he says. He doesn't know that most displays can't reach advertised nits, in calibrated modes. He's just a Samsung shill.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
I was watching some of his videos because I need a new tv was thinking of getting the P Quantum but his last video makes it feel very much that this is true.

Still thinking I may get the p659-g1 or M558-G1 slightly unlikely the samsung Q8FN. picking a tv is difficult
Dr.Shankenstein likes this.
Ates417 is offline  
post #460 of 482 Old 06-08-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas city
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ates417 View Post
I was watching some of his videos because I need a new tv was thinking of getting the P Quantum but his last video makes it feel very much that this is true.



Still thinking I may get the p659-g1 or M558-G1 slightly unlikely the samsung Q8FN. picking a tv is difficult
His channel was shut down by youtube and was rebranded recently. He tends to hop on other channels that don't agree with him call them shills for a product.
I'm not a fan of the dude.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Jeremy Anderson and Ates417 like this.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #461 of 482 Old 06-09-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,763
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ates417 View Post
I was watching some of his videos because I need a new tv was thinking of getting the P Quantum but his last video makes it feel very much that this is true.



Still thinking I may get the p659-g1 or M558-G1 slightly unlikely the samsung Q8FN. picking a tv is difficult
This is the same guy, that decided to go after Vincent Teoh, one of the most respected Professional TV calibrators, and TV reviewers. The guy never provides proof of what he says, he may have purchased the display, but for someone who claims to be calibrator, he lacks significant knowledge on doing it for SDR and HDR.

Your best source, is here and RTings.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
DisplayCalNoob is offline  
post #462 of 482 Old 06-09-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas city
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
This is the same guy, that decided to go after Vincent Teoh, one of the most respected Professional TV calibrators, and TV reviewers. The guy never provides proof of what he says, he may have purchased the display, but for someone who claims to be calibrator, he lacks significant knowledge on doing it for SDR and HDR.

Your best source, is here and RTings.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
This too.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Ates417 likes this.
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #463 of 482 Old 06-09-2019, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
This is the same guy, that decided to go after Vincent Teoh, one of the most respected Professional TV calibrators, and TV reviewers. The guy never provides proof of what he says, he may have purchased the display, but for someone who claims to be calibrator, he lacks significant knowledge on doing it for SDR and HDR.

Your best source, is here and RTings.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
Yea, been looking at a bunch of different ones on RTings. Waiting on their reviews of the Vizio's other then the V series which im not getting
Ates417 is offline  
post #464 of 482 Old 06-09-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas city
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Grabbed a Hisense H8F over the weekend. It's safe to say I am pretty disappointed overall.

I will be taking it back and grabbing the M50.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk
Dr.Shankenstein is offline  
post #465 of 482 Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Zoland2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 83
@Dr.Shankenstein What's wrong with the Hisense H8F, was it not as good as we all thought it was?

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) | Xbox One X | Roku Ultra (2018 model)
Zoland2020 is offline  
post #466 of 482 Old 06-10-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeremy Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
This is the same guy, that decided to go after Vincent Teoh, one of the most respected Professional TV calibrators, and TV reviewers. The guy never provides proof of what he says, he may have purchased the display, but for someone who claims to be calibrator, he lacks significant knowledge on doing it for SDR and HDR.

Your best source, is here and RTings.
I try not to watch that quack's videos, but sometimes it's just hilarious. Just watched that comparison video and I'm like, "He's turning backlight to 100... in SDR... and turning brightness down so far that there's no way it isn't digitally clipping blacks."

I don't trust that guy as far as I could throw him. And it's scary how many of his followers treat him like an expert.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jeremy Anderson is offline  
post #467 of 482 Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by asc72 View Post
Costco in Canada looks like they are having some clear-out deals on the 2018 P series. I am looking for a 55" tv, so wondering if it would be worth going for the P-series or wait for 2019 M-series to be available (the 55" is only available in M). The 2019 has the quantum dot, but looks like the NITS (1000 vs 600) and dimming zones (120 vs 90) would be lower on the 2019.
I'm in the same boat and registered this account in the hopes that someone can help me decide. I'm having a hard time if I should just get the 2018 55" P-F1 or the 2018 55" M-Series. Are the extra nits on the older model worth it? Not sure what else 2018 has that 2019 doesn't though but the P-Series from last year is ~$100 cheaper right now.

For note, I am upgrading from the old 43" M-Series from 2015 so I'm sure any upgrade will blow me away.
Dravgis is offline  
post #468 of 482 Old 06-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
WRXpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 135
In the 55" size, the new 2019 M (M558-G1) will have more dimming zones than the 2018 P; 90 vs. ~56. Almost everything else is an unknown, until these sets get out in the wild for review. 2019 is bringing WCG to the M series, but no-one knows if that means better, worse, or the same as the 2018 P, which already had WCG. Brightness levels in 2018 were nearly identical between M- and P-series as tested by CNET; since 2019 M is claiming the same 600 nits, I don't expect big changes there.
If it were MY money, I'd probably save the $100 and get a 2018 P, if I had to buy today. If I didn't have to buy today, I'd plan to wait a couple months for the reviews to shake out, and buy one of the 2019 models when the prices inevitably start to drop. Vizio is going to be in a 3-way fight with TCL and Hisense in this market segment this year, and their competitors already have arguably a leg up in smart features/platform (Roku/Andriod TV).
asc72 likes this.
WRXpilot is offline  
post #469 of 482 Old 06-10-2019, 12:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My 2019 65" Regular P is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it hooked up tomorrow evening and make some early observations. That being said, I'm coming from a last generation Samsung Plasma (5300?) that has had a faulty screen for the past 3 years (bleeding of red/pink emanating from upper left-hand corner). So....it's probably going to be a lot better than what I've been used to.

My hope was to get a pretty good screen for the living room (brighter room, some glare) while saving the extra $1000 I could've spent to buy one of last year's OLEDs. We shall see...
rhoffman000 is offline  
post #470 of 482 Old 06-10-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeremy Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
This is the same guy, that decided to go after Vincent Teoh, one of the most respected Professional TV calibrators, and TV reviewers. The guy never provides proof of what he says, he may have purchased the display, but for someone who claims to be calibrator, he lacks significant knowledge on doing it for SDR and HDR.
Here's a perfect example...

Me: You lost me at Backlight 100.

Quantum: Then make your own damn settings. Problem solved 🤷🏾*♂️😂but know this, you can't touch My settings on your best day!

Me: So... show your settings. I mean... You're turning brightness down so far that it has to be digitally clipping blacks unless you're doing some major grayscale changes on the low end to mitigate it. And with the FALD on Low and backlight on 100, you're playing hell with their FALD algorithm. No need to be defensive, man. Just curious as to why anyone would EVER set the backlight on a Vizio to 100. Is that part of the optimizations you talked about that you're going to reveal later?

Quantum: No I've shown enough. It's your turn. Prove you have the ability to surpass any of My settings. I'm sick of the uneducated having opinions, given to them by mainstream reviewers. Show up in this conversation with facts. From where I sit you haven't even tried the actual settings, on the 2019 Vizio P Series Quantum. You're just being a f**kin a**hole.

Me: Again, I don't know why you are being so defensive, acting like someone was attacking you. I am asking you why you would ever use 100 backlighting and brightness in the 30s. Typically, Vizios digitally clip blacks if you set that below 49. Are you saying that this model is different? Or did you make major adjustments to grayscale?

Quantum: You're no one to question me. You have no experience, your opinon is worthless and you cannot possibly determine, by ear, weather something is being done incorrectly or not. Buy the tv I'm showing, and provide equivalent work.

Me: I do have some experience. I have done calibrations since CRT projection and have an older Vizio right now, but am looking to pick one of these up for my living room. Every Vizio P-series since 2016 has clipped black under 49 brightness unless you have modified grayscale. That is why I am asking you why your calibration has those two extremes. 100 backlight in SDR would be way over the peak nits target, and in HDR would skew the EOTF. So I was just wondering why you did it. If you don't want to answer the question, cool. Not sure why you are acting mad like you are being accused of something. I just wanted to know if there was a reason you calibrated that way.


I feel pretty certain that he'll end up blocking me... but it really is an honest question. He uses 100 backlight for a comparison vid and wonders why the Vizio looks washed out by comparison. Gee, I don't know... Because you're maxing out the backlighting unnecessarily? Then he posts his "universal" settings for it and backlight is still at 83. Is he even calibrating to any reference? I'd love to think it's just incompetence, but it seems awfully willful. Either way, it doesn't provide you with any useful information about the 2019 P-Series Quantum.
PlanetAVS and hdguru7 like this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jeremy Anderson is offline  
post #471 of 482 Old 06-11-2019, 01:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Briguy65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Backlight at 100? I just checked my PQ and at vivid it's set at 78 which is way too bright for me. On calibrated dark it's set at 30 which is what I like. I guess this guy quantum might not know what he's talking about.
Jeremy Anderson likes this.

Last edited by Briguy65; 06-11-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Briguy65 is offline  
post #472 of 482 Old 06-11-2019, 02:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Greetings.

Can anyone kindly advise if the 2019 P659-G1 is an upgrade from the 2018 PQ65-F1?
qoopy is offline  
post #473 of 482 Old 06-11-2019, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Coercion Shaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon View Post
Folks should make their own decission. The guy is showing side by sides with a sony. I only filter out videos that have talking heads and no actual units.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Many folks don't know he is an idiot. See all the comments above. I'm done, though. Watch him if you want, just please don't post links to him here where people that don't better click on his video.

Sony XBR-65X900F // Sony HTZ9F Sound Bar & SAZ9R Speakers // Xbox One X & PS4 Pro
Coercion Shaman is offline  
post #474 of 482 Old 06-11-2019, 06:16 AM
Member
 
sfsilicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 40

I'm skipping the one where he talks about Walmart deleting bad reviews (incl. his) on their website of the P series 2019.

With 55 glowing reviews on Walmart maybe someone with the set (or better a M series G1) share their impressions. TIA!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
sfsilicon is offline  
post #475 of 482 Old 06-11-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeremy Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy65 View Post
Backlight at 100? I just checked my PQ and at vivid it's set at 78 which is way too bright for me. On calibrated dark it's set at 30 which is what I like. I guess this guy quantum might not know what he's talking about.
Yeah, I can imagine... I have a P50-C1 and 100 backlight would be blinding. The hilarity of that conversation continues:

Quantum: You see if you had wanted to know something, then you should have asked. What you did was bulls**t. You opened up your comment with you lost me at backlight 100, never once asking a question following that. So don't pretend now like you're just some kind viewer, looking for the reason behind my methodology. Don't f**king backpedal now b**ch! I say to you again, buy the 2019 Vizio P series quantum, lock in the settings like actual owners have done, then come back with an adequate response. Better yet show me your calibration or picture settings! You have no idea what is incorrect, especially if you don't even own the TV. So put up or shut the f**k up.

Me: I am buying it this month. But I am not questioning your methodology. I am asking you how you can possibly hit target nits for SDR with 100 backlight. Or even in HDR, considering everything calibrators know about how the backlight control on Vizios skew EOTF if you go that high with it. It's unnecessary. The FALD can still hit peak whites via its algorithm without you jacking the backlight to max. You are limiting the range of the algorithm by doing that. Period. So what standard are you even calibrating to? What is your reference? What is your i1Display Pro calibrated against? Do you have the 1,000 nit consumer model or the 2,000 nit revision? I don't discount that people may like your settings... But it is literally impossible for them to be ISF-accurate or even close. People like torch mode too. So where did you end up with the calibration? What was your measured contrast? What was the average deltaE for grayscale and color decoding? How close did it track to D65 in SDR? Or the EOTF in HDR10? You seem to get offended when people ask any relevant questions about the set's performance that a calibrator should be able to answer easily. Hell, you could post your post-cal charts so we wouldn't even have to ask. But instead, you expect people to just accept you at your word. You're right and literally everyone else calibrating to known video standards is wrong. But you're being intellectually dishonest. What you are doing is 100% preference... Not reference. And that is fine if you're honest about it. But it offers zero data to anyone looking for actual info on a display's performance.


I would straight up bet money that this guy got his start as one of those Best Buy calibrators.
hdguru7 likes this.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jeremy Anderson is offline  
post #476 of 482 Old 06-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Can someone here provide some early guidance on settings for the P? I’ve never owned an LCD let alone a Vizio so some of the picture settings may not be familiar. I’ve read to use the ‘calibrated’ picture setting. FALD at medium? What else? I have an older blue-ray calibration disk but I don’t have a 4K player or a 4K calibration disk. Should I even use it? Any help would be much appreciated.
rhoffman000 is offline  
post #477 of 482 Old 06-11-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 2,785
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1778 Post(s)
Liked: 1385
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoffman000 View Post
Can someone here provide some early guidance on settings for the P? I’ve never owned an LCD let alone a Vizio so some of the picture settings may not be familiar. I’ve read to use the ‘calibrated’ picture setting. FALD at medium? What else? I have an older blue-ray calibration disk but I don’t have a 4K player or a 4K calibration disk. Should I even use it? Any help would be much appreciated.
I used to have the 2018 PQuantum and I was very happy with the settings from @Noydcom from the P Quantum owners thread. I couldn't find it after a quick search but if you can locate it, I'd suggest using those settings at least as a start until detailed reviews (Rtngs) come out for the 2019 series.

EDIT: Found @Noydcom 's setttings here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post56524754

You could also try @skschatzman 's settings here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...l#post56722222

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 06-11-2019 at 08:56 AM.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #478 of 482 Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Member
 
sfsilicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
Here's a perfect example...

Me: You lost me at Backlight 100.

Quantum: Then make your own damn settings. Problem solved 🤷🏾*♂️😂but know this, you can't touch My settings on your best day!

Me: So... show your settings. I mean... You're turning brightness down so far that it has to be digitally clipping blacks unless you're doing some major grayscale changes on the low end to mitigate it. And with the FALD on Low and backlight on 100, you're playing hell with their FALD algorithm. No need to be defensive, man. Just curious as to why anyone would EVER set the backlight on a Vizio to 100. Is that part of the optimizations you talked about that you're going to reveal later?

Quantum: No I've shown enough. It's your turn. Prove you have the ability to surpass any of My settings. I'm sick of the uneducated having opinions, given to them by mainstream reviewers. Show up in this conversation with facts. From where I sit you haven't even tried the actual settings, on the 2019 Vizio P Series Quantum. You're just being a f**kin a**hole.

Me: Again, I don't know why you are being so defensive, acting like someone was attacking you. I am asking you why you would ever use 100 backlighting and brightness in the 30s. Typically, Vizios digitally clip blacks if you set that below 49. Are you saying that this model is different? Or did you make major adjustments to grayscale?

Quantum: You're no one to question me. You have no experience, your opinon is worthless and you cannot possibly determine, by ear, weather something is being done incorrectly or not. Buy the tv I'm showing, and provide equivalent work.

Me: I do have some experience. I have done calibrations since CRT projection and have an older Vizio right now, but am looking to pick one of these up for my living room. Every Vizio P-series since 2016 has clipped black under 49 brightness unless you have modified grayscale. That is why I am asking you why your calibration has those two extremes. 100 backlight in SDR would be way over the peak nits target, and in HDR would skew the EOTF. So I was just wondering why you did it. If you don't want to answer the question, cool. Not sure why you are acting mad like you are being accused of something. I just wanted to know if there was a reason you calibrated that way.


I feel pretty certain that he'll end up blocking me... but it really is an honest question. He uses 100 backlight for a comparison vid and wonders why the Vizio looks washed out by comparison. Gee, I don't know... Because you're maxing out the backlighting unnecessarily? Then he posts his "universal" settings for it and backlight is still at 83. Is he even calibrating to any reference? I'd love to think it's just incompetence, but it seems awfully willful. Either way, it doesn't provide you with any useful information about the 2019 P-Series Quantum.
Can you provide a link for where you had this discussion with him? Just interested to read it. Ty!

Guys not trying to seem I'm like the expert here. Just helping by gathering information that I myself found useful (or not so useful for others). I'd post different video if there were more. Would love to see more information (impressions, pictures, videos) from folks who bought the sets.
sfsilicon is offline  
post #479 of 482 Old 06-11-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeremy Anderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,342
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsilicon View Post
Can you provide a link for where you had this discussion with him? Just interested to read it. Ty!
It's on this video:

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Jeremy Anderson is offline  
post #480 of 482 Old 06-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Member
 
sfsilicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
It's on this video:
Thanks!


Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
sfsilicon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
p series quantum , Vizio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off