AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Samsung 8K QLED TVs at CES 2019 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3041270-samsung-8k-qled-tvs-ces-2019-a.html)

ray0414 02-14-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy1 (Post 57603558)
From FlatpanelsHD...

Samsung unveils 8K Q950R with HDMI 2.1, wider viewing angles

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1550130390

Plus, the appropriate cables are now available at affordable prices:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31230



The Hdmi CEO said at ces that there were no 8k cables on the market and any claiming so are basically lying. These cables appear to have been on the market for at least over a month. I believe it was the Vincent Teoh interview and Vincent specifically asked him about companies currently claiming to have 8k cables, so
I'm leaning towards misleading advertising, which is a shame.

Latinoheat 02-14-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57604164)

The Hdmi CEO said at ces that there were no 8k cables on the market and any claiming so are basically lying. These cables appear to have been on the market for at least over a month. I believe it was the Vincent Teoh interview and Vincent specifically asked him about companies currently claiming to have 8k cables, so
I'm leaning towards misleading advertising, which is a shame.

Yea I'm seeing them in flebay in flocks, that was my initial though as well.

Rudy1 02-17-2019 11:35 AM


egrady 02-17-2019 03:50 PM

Comments from Vincent confirm what I've seen bits and pieces from elsewhere. No 85Q950. The early adopters that bought the Q900 are really getting rewarded by Samsung! Lets see, you can buy an 82Q950 with all the 2019 improvements for 10K or the 2018 85Q900 for 15K? Tough call.

All I can figure is Samsung didn't manufacture to many 2018 models so it won't be to costly to blow out the Q900's when the Q950 is released.

imagic 02-17-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 57617630)
Comments from Vincent confirm what I've seen bits and pieces from elsewhere. No 85Q950. The early adopters that bought the Q900 are really getting rewarded by Samsung! Lets see, you can buy an 82Q950 with all the 2019 improvements for 10K or the 2018 85Q900 for 15K? Tough call.

All I can figure is Samsung didn't manufacture to many 2018 models so it won't be to costly to blow out the Q900's when the Q950 is released.


I can confirm as well, 85" Q900 is 2018 and does not have the 2019 Q900 models' anti-reflective or wide viewing angles or HDMI 2.1 on all four ports.

Otto Pylot 02-17-2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57604164)
The Hdmi CEO said at ces that there were no 8k cables on the market and any claiming so are basically lying. These cables appear to have been on the market for at least over a month. I believe it was the Vincent Teoh interview and Vincent specifically asked him about companies currently claiming to have 8k cables, so
I'm leaning towards misleading advertising, which is a shame.


I agree. Smoke and mirrors at best. Hell, there aren't even any ATC certified cables for the HDMI 2.1 hardware spec (fully compliant) yet. The only aspect that is believable is the cable length, which at least adheres to the HDMI 2.1 hardware spec of a maximum 1'- 9' length.

Grimbor 02-17-2019 07:12 PM

Once again, great for educated buyers, but confusing for the average consumer. The same model line in the largest size is quite a bit inferior to the model 3" smaller, which is also much cheaper as well. Go to any Best Buy when all these sets are up and I can assure none of the associates will know or at least inform any buyers of the differences between the Q900s and the counter-intuitive much more expensive = older/inferior. This is like when Samsung used inferior panels within the same models, shady.

Having said that, the 82" Q900 for the price looks to be shockingly better than what was expected quality and cost wise and the price will only get better with all the competition out there at the higher end, even by TCL and Hisense now. This is a far cry from when they tried to push edge lit trash at their high end and all the 'professional' reviewers followed suit declaring them to be almost perfect in picture quality. I will never trust a review over personal viewing because you cannot tell anymore who is honest and unbiased which is almost no one.

Really, you'd think OLED was the newer tech and had more room to expand, but in reality, I'd rather have an older 3D capable OLED because the picture quality versus a new one is not too different. Meanwhile, the 2000+ nits quantum LEDs with close to 500 zones and wide viewing angles are vaslty superior to even what we had last year. This year may well be where LCD beats/ties OLED in more quality categories while surpassing it in many HDR situations. I don't often say this, but with HDMI 2.1 confirmed, this is a good year to buy a large TV- almost everything is in perfect alignment except for the 4000 nit peak for Dolby Vision, though we are now close enough.

Gillietalls 02-18-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 57617658)
I can confirm as well, 85" Q900 is 2018 and does not have the 2019 Q900 models' anti-reflective or wide viewing angles or HDMI 2.1 on all four ports.

Looking at the Sammy website it doesn’t look as if any of the 900’s have wide viewing angle. I only see it talked about on the Q90. I think we’ll have to wait and see if the 950 comes to the states...

egrady 02-18-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillietalls (Post 57619746)
Looking at the Sammy website it doesn’t look as if any of the 900’s have wide viewing angle. I only see it talked about on the Q90. I think we’ll have to wait and see if the 950 comes to the states...

After reading Archer's article at Forbes the Q900/950 situation in the USA is a confusing mess. Still, I find it hard to believe the 82" model, which is new for 2019, won't have the upgrades even if they call it a 900. The smaller sizes have to compete with the Q90, so no 2019 upgrades and the demand for them will be right up there with lead balloons.

ohyeah32 02-18-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillietalls (Post 57619746)
Looking at the Sammy website it doesn’t look as if any of the 900’s have wide viewing angle. I only see it talked about on the Q90. I think we’ll have to wait and see if the 950 comes to the states...

I really hope the 950 models are released here in the USA. The 900’s are nice (especially the 85”), but without the new tech that the 950 models have, it really doesn’t make sense now to buy the 900. All we can do is wait and see (and hope).

I’ve had my current 84” TV for over 6 years now, and I am really ready to buy a new TV. But if I’m going to shell out that much on a new TV, it needs to have everything!

BRAC 02-19-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 57416068)
I did my best to catch the same scene in this clip, it shows the difference although seeing it in person had more impact.

https://youtu.be/s0uQyjDpa1A

Am I the only one who notices that the conventional tv in that clip is set noticeably dimmer and at a more aggressive angle? The little tricks they use to fool people are a little too obvious.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m quite sure there will be incremental improvements just like last year, but I think people will be disappointed once retail units hit the shelves.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.