AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Samsung 8K QLED TVs at CES 2019 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/3041270-samsung-8k-qled-tvs-ces-2019-a.html)

imagic 01-07-2019 02:39 PM

Samsung 8K QLED TVs at CES 2019
 
Samsung has led the charge to 8K with its Q900 series TV released in 2018. Now the company is poised to expand its 8K lineup with more Q900 series sizes. Read more here: https://www.avsforum.com/samsung-8k-...s-at-ces-2019/


"Samsung unveiled its 98” QLED 8K – it’s largest yet – adding to its 2019 lineup that features 65”, 75”, 82”, and 85” models. Embedded with the Quantum Processor 8K chip, the 2019 8K line delivers the best in QLED picture quality, design, smart features in more sizes than ever in stunning 8K resolution. Whether a viewer is watching content through a streaming service, set-top box, HDMI, USB or even mobile screen mirroring, Samsung’s proprietary AI-based technology can recognize and upscale any content, regardless of the native resolution, to near pristine 8K quality. This is Samsung’s smartest and most powerful TV yet." - Samsung Electronics

egrady 01-07-2019 02:43 PM

It will be interesting to see if the zone count of 480 is stretched to cover a 98" screen.

ray0414 01-07-2019 03:29 PM

Best value is probably the 82". Which is only 9999 as opposed to the 85 that is 14999.

fafrd 01-07-2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57395220)
Best value is probably the 82". Which is only 9999 as opposed to the 85 that is 14999.

Thems 3 expensive inches right there - $1667 each :eek:

On a more serious note, I'll be interested to see whether Samsung extends the 4000cd/m2 peak brightness capability of the their Flagship 8K QLED offering down through the entire line-up of sizes they are offering in 2019...

Ballis 01-07-2019 04:09 PM

Cant wait to hear what they plan to charge for the 98 incher.

benboy12 01-07-2019 04:15 PM

Samsung has it for pre-order, but it’s not available as part of the Samsung Upgrade program. That’s a little disappointing. Being able to pay the cost over 36 months with an upgrade option after 24 months would make the cost a little more easy to stomach.

Matsonia 01-07-2019 04:16 PM

So if im reading this right there isn't really a new 8K lineup this year. Just the current Q900 from October but with more sizes? Has there been any word on the 2.1 connect box?

New_to_4K 01-07-2019 04:20 PM

Is the pricing available yet?

Fargus777 01-07-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_to_4k (Post 57395514)
is the pricing available yet?

85: 14999
82: 9999
75: 6999
65: 4999

benboy12 01-07-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_to_4K (Post 57395514)
Is the pricing available yet?

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...n85q900rafxza/

$15k - 85"
$10k - 82"
$7k - 75"
$5k - 65"

ray0414 01-07-2019 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New_to_4K (Post 57395514)
Is the pricing available yet?


Samsung.com has all the sizes and prices listed.

ray0414 01-07-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fafrd (Post 57395428)
Thems 3 expensive inches right there - $1667 each :eek:

On a more serious note, I'll be interested to see whether Samsung extends the 4000cd/m2 peak brightness capability of the their Flagship 8K QLED offering down through the entire line-up of sizes they are offering in 2019...


I read a month ago that there's a physical limitation of the higher nits in smaller sizes. The 65" cannot do 4000 in its current tech. I don't recall if the 75 is capable. There's a problem with heat.

New_to_4K 01-07-2019 04:41 PM

God willing, at least the 75” and 65” will be in the price range that I’m willing to spend later this year.

the7mcs 01-07-2019 04:42 PM

Wowzers!!!! I'm excited at this current prices even though I still can't afford any of them!

I remember when OLEDs were super expensive and then in a couple years people were able to purchase 65in screens

These 8k TVs will do to 4k TVs what 1080p did to 720p tvs and drive their prices down and eventually the 8K TVs will come down to current prices of 4K TVs

If I'm buying an 8k TV, I know I wouldn't want to buy any thing starting at at least 80 inch

New_to_4K 01-07-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57395574)
I read a month ago that there's a physical limitation of the higher nits in smaller sizes. The 65" cannot do 4000 in its current tech. I don't recall if the 75 is capable. There's a problem with heat.

Maybe Samsung has figured out a solution. Wonder how it compares with Q9fn?

Ice Cold 01-07-2019 05:27 PM

Isn’t 8K limited to 30Hz why bother at this point.

Matsonia 01-07-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57395574)
I read a month ago that there's a physical limitation of the higher nits in smaller sizes. The 65" cannot do 4000 in its current tech. I don't recall if the 75 is capable. There's a problem with heat.

The 75 can do 4000. Its been measured in quite a few reviews but only Standard/dynamic mode. In movie mode we have had measurements of anything from 1600 to 2300 for the 75 inch version. I honestly do wonder if power management and running a screen that bright is going to be an issue of going even higher. The 10000 nit Sony prototype for example im fairly certain was running in a dynamic mode but I do wonder with normal FALD LCD's if pushing that brightness even higher is going to be an issue especially with smaller sizes.


Also an issue that I personally see is just eye strain. Iv been watching quite a few HDR movies and shows on the Q900 with the Standard HDR mode to get the most peak brightness out of it and some parts are just eye squintingly bright to the point that you feel like you need to pour some eyedrops in lol. Its only small peaks like muzzle flashes or explosions. Its very impactful but it also makes me wonder what a 10000 nit peak highlight would be like and the impact on our eyes.

Matsonia 01-07-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Cold (Post 57395824)
Isn’t 8K limited to 30Hz why bother at this point.

Theres a replacement 2.1 connect box this year coming that will do 8K @ 60. I think its fairly certain at this point that its coming considering the Q900R seems to be the top 8K range still so it would make sense for all the sizes to get the 2.1 box if there continuing this as there flagship 8K.

Hawkmoon 01-07-2019 06:48 PM

Are these new 8k screens do VRR/Freesync? If so, is the range better than on Q9FN?

ray0414 01-07-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsonia (Post 57396280)
The 75 can do 4000. Its been measured in quite a few reviews but only Standard/dynamic mode. In movie mode we have had measurements of anything from 1600 to 2300 for the 75 inch version. I honestly do wonder if power management and running a screen that bright is going to be an issue of going even higher. The 10000 nit Sony prototype for example im fairly certain was running in a dynamic mode but I do wonder with normal FALD LCD's if pushing that brightness even higher is going to be an issue especially with smaller sizes.


Also an issue that I personally see is just eye strain. Iv been watching quite a few HDR movies and shows on the Q900 with the Standard HDR mode to get the most peak brightness out of it and some parts are just eye squintingly bright to the point that you feel like you need to pour some eyedrops in lol. Its only small peaks like muzzle flashes or explosions. Its very impactful but it also makes me wonder what a 10000 nit peak highlight would be like and the impact on our eyes.


Does the 75 have the giant OCB like the 85"? The 65 has the smaller ocb like the Q9FN.

Ice Cold 01-07-2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benboy12 (Post 57395556)
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...n85q900rafxza/

$15k - 85"
$10k - 82"
$7k - 75"
$5k - 65"

$5,000 for 1 65” MicroLED Samsung with Zero Content.

I’ll take the Same $5,000 and Buy 2 65” LG 4K OLED’s 2019 with HDMI 2.1

Matsonia 01-07-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57396434)
Does the 75 have the giant OCB like the 85"? The 65 has the smaller ocb like the Q9FN.


Yeah the 75 has the larger one.

Latinoheat 01-07-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Cold (Post 57396580)

$5,000 for 1 65” MicroLED Samsung with Zero Content.

I’ll take the Same $5,000 and Buy 2 65” LG 4K OLED’s 2019 with HDMI 2.1

These models are not micro led. Just good old lcd.

ray0414 01-09-2019 12:37 PM

According to a new article by flapanels, the 2019 8k lineup is not exactly the same as the 2018 Q900R.


https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...4HSl7MMHK5iHa0

ray0414 01-09-2019 01:01 PM

Mark, did you see Samsung's private demo? David MacKenzie had pretty good impressions of it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5f3793fc9b.jpg

75Q9FN* Panny UB824 fed into Oppo203*Denon X4200 * S9+*

MrSniper1401 01-09-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57408262)
Mark, did you see Samsung's private demo? David MacKenzie had pretty good impressions of it. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5f3793fc9b.jpg

75Q9FN* Panny UB824 fed into Oppo203*Denon X4200 * S9+*

According to FlatPanels, the new 8k qled is called the q950

fafrd 01-10-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray0414 (Post 57408110)
According to a new article by flapanels, the 2019 8k lineup is not exactly the same as the 2018 Q900R.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...4HSl7MMHK5iHa0


Perhaps Samsung has revived (or improved) the 'sparkling' LCD technology they showed off last year at CES - the off-angle viewing performance was impressive (better than IPS)...

imagic 01-10-2019 03:40 PM

Noted re: naming and making the edit... Sorry 'bout that.

Viewing angles are incredibly, hugely improved over an VA LCD I've seen before. Basically no longer an issue. I have a video clip to share showing that, will upload it shortly, I'm sure there are others.

Matsonia 01-10-2019 04:25 PM

Where there any noticible picture quality differences Mark compared to the Q900. I still have a month and a half left on my 100 day thing from Samsung so have the option to return up till then. Just wondering if there's any really noticible picture quality differences compared to the Q900 as off axis viewing isn't an issue for me as I sit straight on so that wouldn't be a reason for me to send it back and wait for these.

krholmberg 01-10-2019 04:31 PM

Off axis viewing is phenomenal, especially side by side with the Q9.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.